Tendo City
Wait... what? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Wait... what? (/showthread.php?tid=5687)

Pages: 1 2

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 20th April 2010

So, apparently my Gamecube memory card, the really big one I got, is corrupt now. I have no idea what happened. I was playing Ocarina of Time on it, had been for the past week. I actually had beaten the entire game, and had basically dusted it off completely. I reloaded the game file to take a look after "The End" to make sure I had everything, and suddenly the game starts glitchingly saying the data is corrupted.

Weird.

Now I think the whole thing is corrupt. The weird thing is HOW it's corrupt. My Zelda 1 and 2 saves seem to work, but OOT and MM don't at all. Neither does the Master Quest data. Wind Waker can LOAD it's saved games but can't save to them, it says the card is damaged. I don't recall any glitches, I didn't turn the power to my Wii off during a save or anything. It had worked fine all week while I played it. I can SEE all the saved files when I look through the memory card browser. The Wii (and the Gamecube I just tested it on) say it works fine. When I copy the saves to another memory card, they still show up as corrupted, except the Zelda 1 and 2 saves.

I'm at a loss here. I may need to format the whole thing, but I have no idea how.

I've got a lot of games to start from scratch if it's all gone... I had no idea that Nintendo's memory cards COULD get corrupted like this. It's first party. It's the large 1019 block size one. All I have other than this are two of the 251 sized ones and two of the smallest original sized ones. Those are older. I worry they could get corrupted too, since I have no idea how this happened.

If it's a problem with Gamecube memory cards failing with age, that worries me. It also means I really hope Nintendo eventually adds some Wii firmware support for "virtual" Gamecube cards in the internal memory. I don't even know if Nintendo still sells new Gamecube cards, and if they can fail like this, then buying them used is a shot in the dark I'd rather not take. It's nut, I mean my saved data on my original Zelda 1 cartridge is fully functional to this day. Heck, my PS1 memory cards still seem to work just fine. I used them to play Silent Hill 1 glitch-free a while ago.

Any thoughts here?

Wait... what? - Weltall - 20th April 2010

My 59 card got corrupted after about four years or so. My 1000± block card is still intact at last check, though I haven't touched the Cube in over a year.

Wait... what? - Unreadphilosophy - 20th April 2010

I clearly remember one of my Gamecube memory cards becoming corrupt for no reason.

Wait... what? - Great Rumbler - 20th April 2010

I had a PS1 memory card that did the same thing, but it happened as the result of my resetting the unit I think.

Hmm... Do you know of any system way to reformat the thing, or is it just dead in the water now?

Wait... what? - Great Rumbler - 20th April 2010

I don't think there's really anything you can do for it at this point, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you can reformat it. However, if you reformat it, you'll lose all of your data.

I'm fully aware of that, but it looks like it's already lost.

Ya know, most of this I can take in stride. I can deal with losing Sunshine or Wind Waker saved data. It would take a week for each, but I'd get my perfect save files back.

...But then I scrolled across Smash Bros. Melee. Sure enough, loading it (even after copying it to another card), I got the error message saying the data is corrupt. That's just unfair mang! I had a perfect save file! I mean EVERY bonus, things like "You beat Adventure Mode on very hard with a stock of 1!" or "You beat Final Destination with no falls!". I do think Brawl is the better game, but I put a lot of effort into that, and it's just all gone... Shucks...

It'll be easier to build a time machine to go back and get the card. I wouldn't need to change the timeline or anything. I'd just switch out this corrupt card when I was looking away from the system just before I found out it was corrupt and... ooohhh... that's how it happened...

^You lost all of your Melee data? Holy shit, dude. If that had happened to me when I was working to unlock everything, I would've chucked me system right out the window.

Wait... what? - lazyfatbum - 20th April 2010

Damn that sucks. Okay so this is what I do:

First try it on your Wii, other Gamecubes, go to other people's houses and try it. It's strange, but sometimes the other machines will be able to read it.

Try turning on your system without the card in it, go to the data screen where you could normally view your files, then insert the card. Let it attempt to load. If no dice, reset (not power off) and see if it loads, if no dice again, power off, do a liberal count of 10 and power on to see if it can access and load your specific files. The issue here is a corrupt save which means that while the game was saving, there was either a jolt in the electrical system of your house, the Gamecube itself did not boot properly or the physical card has a damaged sector (like a unusable part of a hard disk because its cooked)

Using a penny (it has to be a penny) rub the contacts of the memory card (dont over do it, think of it like brushing teeth), often times contacts in the card can become corroded and get a build up of magic from elves who live inside our ears and hate copper things, rubbing a penny on it cleans the contacts and adds a fresh layer of conductive material. This will probably do nothing for your files, but its worth a shot.

If you have a cheat device such as Pro Action Replay, it may be able to read the data with swoogy info. If you have a device, load it as normal and look in the menu of the device, look for options to handle the memory cards and see if it loads. Here, you should be able to handle the file to delete or transfer as a valid file.

Datel Memory Manager and Memory Manager Plus usually come with a Pro Action replay, if you have one of those, you should be able to access your card or at the very least, directly format it block by block. If memory serves me right, there was even an option here to attempt to fix the data.

Ultimately, if its possible, you can delete the specific files causing you problems. This should get you back on track and save your other info, though your specific corrupt files will be gone. Can you manually delete these files? or do you get a message saying the data can be deleted? In these cases, if the physical card is damaged and has not been formatted, its possible it will happen again. If its just furky save data because Zelda hates you then I just dunno, Nintendo is so anal about their products I cant imagine a Zelda game having a save issue.

There is a much more involved way I did once for my N64 transfer pak because it had my PD player file on it, it requires you to basically make your own memory pak to USB drive and run some file saving software. >.> I would never go through that trouble again, but a GC card might be easier.

Lastly, did you use any cheat devices when playing games recently? If not, did you 'glitch' the game? Do anything bizarrely out of sequence or enter an area you're not supposed to be in? A lot of games have weird 'Fuck you' codes to people who use devices or glitch so that it corrupts the save file. Some of them are pretty funny, like if you emulate Chrono Trigger there's a specific gate that once entered the entire thing crashes since the game does a simple check to make sure its running on the proper hardware, things like that. In these cases it might be worth your time to look for Pro Action Replay or use someone else's save info that has the specific fuck you removed, blocked, or otherwise kept busy.

I didn't even know they ever made an action replay for the Gamecube. I hadn't seen any since the N64/PS1 days.

I can see all my save files, copy, delete, whatever. I figured the only one that should be corrupt is the Zelda Collection save data for Ocarina of Time, since that's the only game I'd been playing all week. I didn't sequence break or do anything glitchy. I saved, and this game in particular has a very obvious way of letting you know when it is or is not saving, and then reset to check the file. Corrupt. The card is visible, and the effects are different depending on the game. Some can't read it, some can read it just fine but can't save to it, and at least two can read AND save to it perfectly. Some files work fine if I copy to another memory card, but some are still corrupt when I move them. It's a very odd way of being corrupt. Generally, when a file goes corrupt on other memory cards, it's JUST that file. If the card goes corrupt, the behavior is identical in each game, the card just can't be read. It's bizarre. It's the strangeness that makes me wonder if the data is truly all gone. I'm really REALLY hoping I can restore that Melee data. That's a lot of work to have to do again, and I"m out of practice enough that I'm nowhere NEAR as good as when I actually managed to get those two wins in adventure and classic with a stock of one. Plus, getting 10,000 matches done in multiplayer is going to take a LOT longer than when all my friends were constantly playing it (it's always Brawl now, always). Part of me just wants to say screw it and just get back to unlocking everything in Brawl, but wow that was a lot of work there. I played Melee more than any other Gamecube game.

Wait... what? - A Black Falcon - 20th April 2010

My 1019 card corrupted about a year ago when Super Monkey Ball 2 attempted to save. It appears to have destroyed the card, it can't even reformat now (it tries to but fails when I tell it to attempt to format the card). Lost everything.

So I've been reading online, and apparently this is more common than I thought. The most common thread among people complaining about memory card loss (at least among the ones that know for sure they didn't do anything dumb while it was saving) seems to be that they were using the 1019 sized card. Did they screw up that batch or something?

Yeah, I've also heard that using 1019 cards on Wii can be bad, the theory was that somehow the Wii would overheat the cards or something and destroy them... but mine was in a Gamecube and had only ever been in a Gamecube, so that wasn't the problem. Somehow when it was trying to save it instead ruined the filesystem in the card or something or broke the boot sector or who knows what... but yeah, it was awful. My only save files that survived were the ones on my 251. (I've since bought another 251 and use those two, but that's not enough space, I need to find more... the 1019 was so great, you could fit everything on one card. It's really too bad that they're evidently quite unreliable. :()

I mean, I'd had that card for years, it's very odd that it just randomly broke one day... and it was with a game that I'd just bought, so I have wondered whether somehow the problem was with the game too, and not just the certainly questionably made 1019s (considering everything I've heard about them and Wiis in particular).

Your problem is even stranger than mine though, mine was straightforward -- the card stopped working, couldn't be accessed, and stayed that way. Nothing on the card could be accessed.

I have had files corrupt before (once my GC SpyHunter file corrupted and I had to delete it and start the game over), and I've had N64 cards corrupt (the result is usually losing about a third of the files on the card, unless it's a battery problem in which case you lose all of them and don't expect them to last too long if you recreate them either), so those are perhaps somewhat comparable, but nothing exactly like what you describe.

Wait... what? - Fittisize - 20th April 2010

I lost my entire GameCube gaming history also, although it wasn't for no apparent reason like the rest of you. It was because the card broke into a million little pieces.

Ouch, I bet there's a story behind that.

Edenmaster is the only one that could truly understand that loss...

On the plus side, there is ONE saved file that I still have. My Animal Crossing data is still intact (though surely roach and weed infested should I load it today), but it's spared only by the quirk of fate that Nintendo made that data unable to be moved or copied.

I really do wish Nintendo would add in a "virtual memory card" feature for the Wii. Considering the 1019 memory card was basically just 8 MB in size, it would hardly be much of a sacrifice in terms of space, and it would be far more reliable.

I've not heard about overheat. You say they were specifically talking about the 1019 as well? Well, I don't think overheat would really be the cause in that case, considering the other two sizes seem unaffected, but it's certainly distressing that this card in particular seems to have such problems...

Nintendo has a page about problems with the 1019, but not about unreliability. It's just games who's save systems did not predict block sizes over 999 not showing up correctly. Notably, all of them are cheesy 3rd party games I've got no interest in ever bothering with, so that's not really the issue here. Oh, I really doubt the custom file system on Gamecube memory cards has anything like a "boot sector", since there's no software to be booted on these things.

Maybe though, there IS some issue when reaching a certain size that older games don't properly allocate addresses exactly as they should, something small enough to evade testing but over time it adds up. I don't know, but I do know this. I don't think I'll be using a 1019 sized card any time soon until I find out more.

My PS2 memory got infected with corrupt files a few times. The fortunate thing is that I was able to get rid of the files. To this day, I have never been able to figure out why they appeared.

Yeah, stock up on your 251s. I can't trust 1019s now either, obviously.

Quote:I've not heard about overheat. You say they were specifically talking about the 1019 as well? Well, I don't think overheat would really be the cause in that case, considering the other two sizes seem unaffected, but it's certainly distressing that this card in particular seems to have such problems...

I thought I'd read that it was supposedly somehow some heat-related issue... whatever it is though, it was said to be 1019 only, and only for 1019s used on a Wii, not a Gamecube (for that issue in specific).

Quote:I really do wish Nintendo would add in a "virtual memory card" feature for the Wii. Considering the 1019 memory card was basically just 8 MB in size, it would hardly be much of a sacrifice in terms of space, and it would be far more reliable.

100% agreed. The Wii's internal memory isn't perfectly reliable either, but it'd be nice, particularly with how if you have to use 251s you WILL have to switch memory cards, which is annoying.

Quote:Maybe though, there IS some issue when reaching a certain size that older games don't properly allocate addresses exactly as they should, something small enough to evade testing but over time it adds up. I don't know, but I do know this. I don't think I'll be using a 1019 sized card any time soon until I find out more.

It could be something like that, I don't know. I do know though that in my case, the card failed after a game that I had just got that day or the day before (Monkey Ball 2) tried to save.

Honestly, from everything we've got here and what I've seen, the 1019 seems to have multiple problems really... I made a post about what happened at NeoGAF at the time, but didn't post it here I think. One person said that Nintendo supposedly only originally designed the GC to have up to 2MB cards, they had to do an updated memory card format or something (1.0 to 1.1) to support 8MB and some of the problems are probably from incompatiblity issues there... if that is true it might partially explain it, but I can't see that explaining things like the Wiis killing 1019s problem.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372043

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 21st April 2010

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp

Here's Nintendo's only page addressing this.

Another distressing thing is they did in fact stop selling Gamecube memory cards on their online store. They seem to sell most of the other Gamecube accessories, such as controllers, which I would expect considering the Wii is doubling as a Gamecube right now.

That's all the more reason for a new firmware update. I'm not sure of the exact nature of the "Gamecube mode", if it's like a hard switch or if it's possible to have some software running certain things in the background using the extra RAM the Wii has over the Gamecube (and extra cycles from the faster CPU). I would really expect that they could have some Wii OS activities running in the background. So long as that's the case, a new patch could easily add in a lot of little things to really round out the whole experience. At the very least we already know the Wii can access all the Gamecube ports.

I made a list:

1. Allow me to use my Gamecube controller to navigate the Wii main menu. I know it can use the Gamecube controller (as in Brawl and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition), and I know they already have a way to control the cursor using an analog stick (the Wii "Classic Controller" can be used to navigate the menu). Simply letting the Gamecube controller navigate it saves me a minor, but annoying headache (as I've noticed this week playing OOT) of having to go get my Wii controller to select and start the game, then put that controller away and then pick up and play with my Gamecube controller. This would also be an issue for all the games in the online store that allow one to use Gamecube controllers.

2. Allow the use of virtual memory cards. It's just like I've been saying in this thread. The 360 does it via emulation. All games the emulation supports create their own saved data right along with all the normal saved data. The PS3 uses a different system since the earlier ones didn't use a hard disk (well the PS2 did but just barely, and not for saved games at any rate) and so the games "expect" a different file system, a different maximum size, and a relatively small upper limit in the number of files that can even exist on the card. It simply lets you create a virtual memory card. One can make it a PS1 card or a PS2 card, give it a name, give it an icon, and go to any virtual card and tell the system which virtual "slot" it should be assigned to. Modern emulators use a similar system, and it works fine (and the access is faster too). Further, it allows one to seamlessly switch cards while playing should you forget to switch the virtual cards around, which leads me to...

3. Allow access to the Wii "Menu button" while playing Gamecube games. The 360 only gives the user the option to quit the game from the controller. The PS3 one has many options, ranging from switching the memory cards while playing to switching the screen size from "widescreen" to "letterbox", so you can keep the aspect ratio without having to tell your TV to do it for you. This is another little thing. When I play Gamecube games, since most of them don't even have widescreen support and because circles looking like ovals (and other aspect ratio offness) bother me, I just switch the TV. However it'd be nice if the system just added in the letterboxing automatically like the PS3 and 360 does. In the case of the 360, you don't get the control yourself, but they went ahead and did it on a game-to-game basis, so if a game supported widescreen, it was shown in widescreen, and if a game didn't, it was shown letterboxed. I don't need that level of individual care, but the setting would be nice. All in all the basic idea is hitting the "home" button (which of course would require you to have the Wii controller nearby to hit it anyway) should pop up a menu with some options. Now since the games aren't coded for it, the Wii menu will be superimposed over a game that won't pause automatically, so the user can't use it AS a pause menu. Still, it'd be very useful, and an easy way to quit the game without resetting the system.

3. Virtually emulate the Broadband adapter using the Wifi or Wii Broadband adaptor. Assuming they can fake a virtual memory card to the Gamecube mode, this one should be pretty easy too. Whatever your online settings are, the system will just use that while telling the games whatever they need to hear to think there's a broadband adapter connected to the gamecube. This, like a lot of this, isn't a big deal. There's only a handful of games that even support the adapter. It's just for the sake of completeness. Mario Kart Double Dash on System Link is insane fun. I can still pull out my old Gamecube, but a lot of people sold it to get the Wii, and well, it's still annoying. It's just something to add in this patch for full on awesome.

4. Let one map a Classic Controller as a Gamecube Controller. The Classic controller, especially the new "Pro" is about the nicest controller Nintendo's ever made in the "old way". Comfortalbe, responsive, and the D-Pad is just plain awesome. The left joystick is a bit off on the original but the Pro version's is surprisingly easy to use. There are still a number of hardware improvements I'd love to make to the thing, but it's got everything it needs (aside from Rumble) to fully function as a Gamecube controller, if only the OS would let me. On top of it all, that Z button, as clumsy as it was on the Gamecube, is very easy to work with on the Classics, and could be used on both sides if mapped that way. I love the classic, and if Nintendo stopped selling the Gamecube controller completely, it would be a fine replacement, if only the proper support was added. Again, it could all be done via a menu where you assign it to the right Gamecube slot.

Since all these things would take place outside the Gamecube mode's usable memory, and all the "replacing" would only be regarding input/output and nothing to do with how the games process information, I don't think it could affect compatibility, so I say this is exactly the sort of thing they should do.

5. (Okay this is a REALLY small thing, and just about pointless, but just for completeness...) When a Gamecube game is inserted, play the whole Gamecube logo animation and then show the same "info screen" for the game that games show in a Gamecube. Really minor, yes, pedantic, yes, but a great small touch that Nintendo used to really focus on. Heck I remember in the Pokemon Stadium games when you could play the original Gameboy games emulated on the N64, and they even went through the trouble of displaying the Super Gameboy color pallettes and background borders for each game, even the GBC ones would use their GBC colors and STILL pull up the Super Gameboy background border. Little touches flush out the thing. Nothing important, but if I'm making a wish list, might as well add everything I can think of.

I've got a bigger list of changes to the Wii firmware, but these are the things that pertain to the Gamecube specifically.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 21st April 2010

Metroid Prime 1's data is corrupt. Metroid Prime 2's data is okay. Eternal Darkness, the first save block is okay but the second is corrupted (odd since in terms of how the memory card manages things, the Eternal Darkness save is just one file). In Mario Sunshine, the first save file is okay but the second is corrupted (odd, for the same reason).

I think I'm starting to get an idea on the nature of the corruption. I think some flaw in the file system they used in the 1019 memory cards occasionally allocates garbage to the ends of files. Different games handle it, or fail to, in different ways, but the very last save file being fairly consistantly the only corrupt one in various game saves I've been trying suggests that's what's been going down.

Wait... what? - lazyfatbum - 21st April 2010

Weird, I only heard about that on early ipods and internal memory cameras.

Wait... what? - Fittisize - 21st April 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Ouch, I bet there's a story behind that.

There is: http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4207

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 22nd April 2010

Heard about what? Corrupted data? I can assure you it predates the iPod, even on flash memory. I've mentioned before how cheap 3rd party memory cards often got corrupted, and that's why from that point on I only bought more reliable first party cards.

This is the first time an officially liscensed memory card for the system it was intended for has gone bad on me. I'd normally simply consider it a fluke, if not for all those anecdotal stories that suggest more. Unfortunatly I have no idea what to conclude. It "needs further study".

Anyway, I've come to the end of my investigations on this card. As of a few hours ago, my last attempt to check the data on various game saves ended up with a message saying the whole card was corrupt. Now no files appear at all, and I decided to go ahead and format the whole thing, since with that message, the ability to do so appeared. After doing that, I tested making a new save with one of the games that couldn't save before, and it suddenly corrupted that save once more. I can safely conclude that after formatting, the card STILL isn't reliably storing data, and so this is now a useless little device. I'm stuck with two 251 cards for saving. Combined, they should just BARELY be enough to store all my saved data, though the vast majority of my games never did allow me to individually select a card slot and would just automatically use Slot A, so I can look forward to switching cards, and then eventually buying a 3rd 251 so that I have even more switching and some searching to do. Until I find something more concrete, I can't trust the 1019 model. A shame, considering I bought the thing both for space and sheer convenience. I had everything on it, except Animal Crossing which was unmovable and could load automatically from slot B anyway so it was fine on the 251 I originally saved the data on (I didn't bother with the 59 sized card that came with the game).

I've called Nintendo, they've got no information on this. I ended up asking them to pass on what I've found so far and also pass on a suggestion for a firmware update allowing virtual memory card support on the Wii. The person on the line said they'd send this information along to someone that could do further research, but of course I've no idea if anything will ever come of it.

Ah Fitti, looks like I'm in the same boat you were back then.

It's the Melee data that hurts most of all. Sunshine, I may never bother rebuilding. Fun game one time, but not sure I'd bother playing again. It just doesn't compare to Galaxy or 64. Heck I tried playing it earlier and while it was fun, I just couldn't get over just how few moves Mario had in this versus the other two I mentioned. Oh wait, actually of all the data I could save before the final loss, THAT was one I managed to keep. That, Eternal Darkness, and Wind Waker. Everything else, all gone...

Oh well, I'll get over it. And to think, I was one of the people back then most annoyed that Nintendo wasn't releasing an 8 MB card to match the PS2's card size. Seems there were reasons...

Wait... what? - lazyfatbum - 22nd April 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Heard about what? Corrupted data?

No, the way you described the data loss. It almost sounds like a security measure.

Yeah it's very weird, but it seems like the card itself was physically failing.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 24th April 2010

Well anyway it's certainly no security measure, or if it is it's a particularly reckless and evil one. Physically damaging the card is no way to do a thing, and clearly it would have to be a false positive.

So I'll say one more thing. One thing I discovered while looking at my files is that, until the last week where I was playing Ocarina of Time, I hadn't touched any Gamecube games or saves for nearly two years, the latest file being Melee updated in 2008, as I had updated to Brawl by then. Considering that Melee was about the only thing I touched in my Wii up until then, and I barely played it in my Wii, I can safely say that there's only a very small handful of saves on that card before it went up in smoke.

Well, now I'm rebuilding. Out of worry of "hidden corruption" in the small handful of files I saved (and because that small handful didn't really consist of anything too hard to rebuild), I simply wiped the backups clean (except for what was on the 251 card that couldn't be moved anyway and thus wasn't in danger of corruption) and went to work. I've got two 251 cards. One's got a massive Animal Crossing save on it. It'll take a bit of clever management but I think I can fit all my saves across those two cards.

Ya know, another frustrating loss is Crystal Chronicles. That's got some history in there from playing with my friends after all. Oh well. Again, the very worst loss would have been Animal Crossing, but that's the one thing I can say isn't corrupted at all. Well, aside from the desolation the town is in due to me being the ONLY thing keeping it in working order. That mayor is worthless.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 26th April 2010

I started "The Quest of Restoration" today. Epic music! Melee shall be the first, because I deem it so! As of yet, I've unlocked everyone but Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch. I've got a little trick up my sleeve to speed up Mewtwo's arrival. I just set up a 4 player stock match on a stage where nothing happens. They're all just sitting there waiting. One good night's sleep from now, their combined playtime should add up to 20 hours, and I'll have Mewtwo available. I've also unlocked a few stages, 100 or so trophies, beaten classic with almost all the characters I've unlocked so far, and Yoshi's done a bang up job on the sand bag (I seem to get the farthest distance with him and his flutter kicks). I've also completed all the challenges through 39 (all that's unlocked at this point). So far everything's on track here. The biggest issue is going to be getting all those vs matches down. I'll probably need to convince my friends to play some more Melee. They'll probably be interested since it's my save file we'd been using (for the most part) until Brawl came out, and so their data's sorta been lost too. It's been more fun than I expected. It was a good excuse to go back to a classic, though certainly not something I'd want forced on me.

After this, I may play Luigi's Mansion next. It's been a while anyway. I forgot that his gadget is a Gameboy Color rather than a Gameboy Advance. Wow a lot of time has passed...

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2010

So I've unlocked Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch. I also did all the target tests, now needing to reduce the overall time to below 13 minutes (ugh). I completed the rest of the challenges, only needing to complete 51 with no deaths again (Jigglypuff is The One).

Wait... what? - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2010

I never unlocked Mr. Game & Watch in SSBM, it just didn't interest me enough for me to force myself to play it through with all the characters... now of course since last fall my file's gone, but I didn't care too much in that case because I never played the game anyway.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 28th April 2010

*spit take* NEVER UNLOCKED MR. GAME & WATCH?! GET THE HELL OUT OF MY OFFICE!

Wait... what? - A Black Falcon - 28th April 2010

Never unlocked any of the original SSB stages, either. I don't remember how you do it, but it'd have meant playing a game I didn't find that fun way more than I'd ever want to. Same reason I never got Mr. Game & Watch.

I loved SSBM for like the first three days after I got it for Christmas in 2001, but after that I got bored of the single player mode very quickly, and it was never one of my favorite multiplayer Gamecube games either. It'd be fun in multiplayer for a a couple of matches, but after that I'd start to get bored. Sorry, I like fighting games like The King of Fighters or Capcom vs SNK 2 better.

Wait... what? - Great Rumbler - 28th April 2010

I unlocked everything in SSBM. EVERYTHING.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 28th April 2010

So did frickin' I! Well, outside of the "you played 1,000,000 vs matches" bonus, and the Helmetless-Samus and Mario-on-Yoshi trophies, the former because that's an insane number of matches to play, and the latter because those two trophies could only be gained at special Nintendo events.

Anyway, my progress is thus: I unlocked everything that Target Test has to offer (the Sheriff trophy is mine again) and also everything that Home-Run Contest has to offer. I also got all the trophies that the various Multi-Man Melee Modes give, including Mr. Resetti from Cruel Melee (didn't get my old record of 11 kills back yet though). I also finally got event 51 completed with no deaths. Jigglypuff is the destroyer of worlds!

I've got Training Mode left, then it's back to the standard game modes. I'll save the vs. unlocks for last.

Edit: Training mode's given up all the trophies it has to offer.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2010

So I've taken everyone through Adventure Mode now, and just need to complete All-Star mode. I also fought and beat Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser in their respective game modes, gaining the Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Giga Bowser trophies. It's funny how Master Hand is described as a sort of god of creation. What does it mean that in Brawl he's been enslaved by a being named "Tabuu"?

SYMBOLISM!

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 1st May 2010

And now I've completed All-Star with every character. Next will be completing all 3 modes on Very Hard.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 1st May 2010

Changed my mind and went for getting all the post-fight bonuses today. That's one thing I miss from Melee they left out of Brawl, because a lot of them were hilarious. It also lent itself to the rarely played "Score Battle". I've managed to get through one of the modes without taking damage once, managed after many tries to throw a hammer, and a few others. Right now it's just a matter of catching Celebi and I'll have all the bonus fight messages.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 6th May 2010

Okay so I've caught Celebi, getting his trophy, the achievement, and the bonus message. I got every bonus message netting me Diskun. I set up a bunch of 99 minute matches on a dangerous stage with 4 level 9 CPUs to get 5000 KOs and the score display enabled. I then spent a long time setting up level 9 versus me not fighting back matches on small stages, stock matches with 1 life, to net 1000 matches, the achievement for that, and the "food" trophy. I also beat all 3 game modes on Very Hard.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've got enough coins to get the Tom Nook trophy and 100 or so of those matches were coin battles so I gained the "smash coins" trophy, and also "very hard" qualifies as "hard" so I got the Mew trophy when I completed All-Star.

Right now I have 282 trophies, leaving 8 more to get (all of them just random trophies so it's just a matter of coins or luck). I can safely say I've done everything except beat classic and adventure with a stock of 1 (since all-star is always a stock of 1, that doesn't apply). Pretty soon I'll have mastered this game twice. At that point, I'm copying this save file to every old Gamecube memory card I have :D.

Wait... what? - etoven - 6th May 2010

My game cube memory card was made out of "Padro the UnWed Mexican"...
Padro used to dance in the street for quarters.

I don't get it.

I have all the trophies! Well, that's what the message told me. The Demon World trophy is dummied out for some reason, and then there's the Helmetless Samus and Mario On Yoshi trophy, only unlockable by special event machines. Annoying, but nothing I can do so I got everything I can.

Now to beat classic and adventure on very hard with one life... That took a lot of doing the first time I did it... I'll need to prepare.

Wait... what? - A Black Falcon - 6th May 2010

... I've just never liked SSB games anywhere near as much as many Nintendo fans. I didn't play fighting games much at all when I was younger; a few games of SFII or MK games here and there, but not much. I didn't really start playing fighting games until the early '00s, when I started playing them in emulation... I got SSB in 2000 too, but I never liked it as much as things like SFII. Sorry. I like traditional fighting games much more... SSB is fun, yes, but not the greatest.

2d fighting games are better than 3d, but I do find 3d fighting games entertaining too. They don't usually have the strategic depth of 2d fighting games, so they aren't as hard or technical (VF perhaps excepted, but I don't like VF very much), but they can be entertaining anyway. Most recently, I've been playing Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. Fun, simple game... I'm only 15 costumes away from unlocking all of the costumes in the game. Not too many left now. :) (Once you get them all you unlock the DOA3 DLC bonus costumes, without having to get that stuff via the now-dead XBLA system or something... it's an incentive to make me want to actually finish getting all the costumes...)

As far as 2d fighting games go my overall favorite is still the Japanese release of The Last Blade 2, with Street Fighter III: Third Strike probably coming in second. I'm not sure what would be in third... KOF '02 maybe? And SFIV should be somewhere in the list, and SSFII too...

I did finally get a real Guilty Gear game, GGX2#Reload for the Xbox. Oddly that version seems much more common around here than the PS2 version... haven't played it enough to really get good at it though, and it plays quite differently from a Capcom or SNK fighter. Pretty good game even so though. :)

Wait... what? - Sacred Jellybean - 6th May 2010

Ahahaha, I love that commercial. I saw it recently on another forum. The character design reminds a lot of Jon Kricfalusi's work (of Ren & Stimpy fame).

Wait... what? - A Black Falcon - 6th May 2010

... What was that an ad for...

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 7th May 2010

Oh yes, it most certainly looks like Ren and Stimpy.

As far as I can tell, it's some commercial for Royco Cup O' Soup.

Wait... what? - lazyfatbum - 7th May 2010

It's so phallic it makes H.R. Giger blush

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 7th May 2010

His neck is weird, but the rest of the commercial is disturbing in it's own way. Those expressions... truly alien. Like he had a self-mandate to NEVER use the same expression twice.

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2010

I've beaten Classic on Very Hard with a Stock of 1! That took a lot of doing... Now it's just Adventure and it'll be done! ... I REAALLLY am not looking forward to the Pokemon Stadium stage... That is VERY hard to do with one life...

Wait... what? - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2010

At last I've beaten Adventure on Very Hard with a Stock of 1! That... is undoubtedly the hardest thing to do in this whole game. As I predicted, Pokemon Stadium proved the biggest blockade. The frustration over those losses... Pikachu is still my best character, so I really can't say if any of that would have been easier with someone else. Anyway, I managed to pull through and it's all behind me now. The last task is simply to back up this save file across a bunch of old memory cards. All I really miss is the history the old one kept track of, of the first time I did all this.

Anyway, not sure which file I'll restore next. I think I like posting a log of it though.