Tendo City
On this day in 1889 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: On this day in 1889 (/showthread.php?tid=5684)

On this day in 1889 - alien space marine - 19th April 2010

A crazed Jew hating Emo kid with dreams of world conquest was Born.

* This is not a endorsement of Nazism far from it"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMsaMGWPfHo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMsaMGWPfHo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YeN7YxPcWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YeN7YxPcWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

On this day in 1889 - Great Rumbler - 19th April 2010

That first video is way more awesome than it should be.

On this day in 1889 - EdenMaster - 19th April 2010

Oh God, that first video is both the best and worst thing I have ever seen.

On this day in 1889 - Weltall - 20th April 2010

I thought Nickdaddyg was only in his 20s.

On this day in 1889 - alien space marine - 20th April 2010

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASW3UCc17AI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASW3UCc17AI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nickdaddyg parents

On this day in 1889 - EdenMaster - 20th April 2010

It took me like five watches to notice he was playing a guitar at 0:29

On this day in 1889 - Dark Jaguar - 20th April 2010

You know those people who say "he may have been evil, but he was a tactical genius"? They didn't study history... The more I read, the more I realize Hitler was a moron not just in genetics, but in strategy.

Heck even if he'd beaten all of western Europe and the US stayed out of the war, he STILL would never have beaten Russia.

On this day in 1889 - Great Rumbler - 20th April 2010

I don't know about "tactical genius", but he definitely knew how to rally people around him and make the populace believe whatever he wanted them to believe.

I never knew anyone to consider Hitler a tactical genius, considering that it was his biggest shortcoming as Nazi Overlord. By about three hundred miles.

I think Germany could have beaten the Soviets if three conditions were met:

1: Contain Britain as opposed to attempting an invasion. Britain could never invade the mainland by itself and was effectively neutered by mid-1940.

2: Concentrate forces more efficiently during Barbarossa and strike fast and hard directly at Moscow. A bureaucratic monstrosity such as Soviet Russia would be wrecked by the loss of its government (as much of it stuck around even when the Germans actually got within sight of the city). That would give the unified German forces time enough to secure much of western Russia, where most of the industry and population centers were.

3: Don't declare war on the United Fucking States of America just because Japan wanted to scrap with them. This was probably the worst mistake Hitler made, because it suddenly opened up worlds of possibility for a badly-beleaguered Allied force. The alternative was alienating an ally half a world away and of practically zero tactical importance.

It's a new thing lately to agree with the long-held Russian conceit that they could have handled Hitler by themselves, but the fact is that they only barely managed to do that even with the much-smaller German forces divided ultimately into three parts. They had the U.S.A. not only supplying the majority of two extra fronts, but the Soviets also relied heavily on American-subsidized equipment and matériel, as the Germans had effectively wrecked much of the Soviet's native manufacturing capacity.

The world tends to get upset when America reminds everyone that we won that war, but it's true. America turned the tide in Europe. While fighting a major war against Japan in the Pacific. By themselves. And all that without total mobilization and from a great geographical distance on both ends.

Maybe some people get tired of hearing it, but I don't. When it came to the second world war, America was totally fucking bad ass. :FuckYou:

On this day in 1889 - EdenMaster - 20th April 2010

Great Rumbler Wrote:I don't know about "tactical genius", but he definitely knew how to rally people around him and make the populace believe whatever he wanted them to believe.

Sounds kinda familiar Rolleyes

I wouldn't say he was some sort of mesmerizing public speaking wizard, so much as he was able to say what the public was already geared to hear. I doubt his speeches would be all that effective today.

It's true that America provided a lot, but the majority of the war, in sheer numbers, was fought by Russians. That's something that kinda gets forgotten in Hollywood, and so there's a reason why some people like to point this stuff out. It was a WORLD war, not just America vs Germany. England provided a lot too, but then you have that guy Churchill, he wanted to invade Russia RIGHT AFTER the Germans surrendered, USING GERMAN TROOPS. Glad he never decided to do that. Granted, the Russians were an evil threat at the time, and it was an ally of necessity, but the Russians would have completely smashed such an offensive.

Heck, look at how big Russia is. Also, they have the Mouse of Minsk!

The Russians suffered the most casualties, but that was in large part because the Russians were led by a megalomaniacal retard, and the Russian idea of strategy was "we can lose more soldiers than you can".

On this day in 1889 - lazyfatbum - 20th April 2010

Hitler was a genius because it was so simple but so well prepared. It was a long war and he made his decisions well. Russia was smart to mostly avoid everything until the very end.

Hitler's only real mistake was putting so much energy in to genocide, if he could have been more focused on the task at hand we'd all be speaking German. Russia wouldn't have stood a chance because all you'd have to do is take down one particular city, the rest of the country would scatter. But instead of Hitler doing it, they did it to themselves.

If Hitler hadn't been so Jew-crazy, he wouldn't have scared away so many of his genius atomic physicists.

Talk about a scary thought.

Holy shit that disney cartoon was depressing.

Yeah and whaddaya know, some of the top minds were as Jewish as Jesus.

Weltall Wrote:I never knew anyone to consider Hitler a tactical genius, considering that it was his biggest shortcoming as Nazi Overlord. By about three hundred miles.

I think Germany could have beaten the Soviets if three conditions were met:

1: Contain Britain as opposed to attempting an invasion. Britain could never invade the mainland by itself and was effectively neutered by mid-1940.

2: Concentrate forces more efficiently during Barbarossa and strike fast and hard directly at Moscow. A bureaucratic monstrosity such as Soviet Russia would be wrecked by the loss of its government (as much of it stuck around even when the Germans actually got within sight of the city). That would give the unified German forces time enough to secure much of western Russia, where most of the industry and population centers were.

3: Don't declare war on the United Fucking States of America just because Japan wanted to scrap with them. This was probably the worst mistake Hitler made, because it suddenly opened up worlds of possibility for a badly-beleaguered Allied force. The alternative was alienating an ally half a world away and of practically zero tactical importance.

It's a new thing lately to agree with the long-held Russian conceit that they could have handled Hitler by themselves, but the fact is that they only barely managed to do that even with the much-smaller German forces divided ultimately into three parts. They had the U.S.A. not only supplying the majority of two extra fronts, but the Soviets also relied heavily on American-subsidized equipment and matériel, as the Germans had effectively wrecked much of the Soviet's native manufacturing capacity.

The world tends to get upset when America reminds everyone that we won that war, but it's true. America turned the tide in Europe. While fighting a major war against Japan in the Pacific. By themselves. And all that without total mobilization and from a great geographical distance on both ends.

Maybe some people get tired of hearing it, but I don't. When it came to the second world war, America was totally fucking bad ass. :FuckYou:

Starting the war in 1939 was also a big mistake, If they had waited longer their scientists would have completed research projects that would have given them a bigger edge much less a A-bomb. Also Hitler broke his agreement with Mussolini by starting the war in 1939 when they had previously agreed secretly to wait till 1943 so the Italians could have the time needed to build up its industry and war factories, The reason Italy performed so abysmally in battle was because it was so ill equipped and lacking in hardware.

Many inside the soviet union would have sided with the invaders and welcomed the Germans as liberators especially in the Ukraine, But Hitlers plan to wipe out the Russians and make more "living space" forced many to side with Stalin for the sake of survival.

Running Extermination factories to annihilate the Jews diverted a great deal of desperately needed resources away from the German war effort.

As for America winning the war, There is no question that America tilted the odds in the allies favor and made victory attainable .

Unfortunately many Americans get so boastful and smug about it that it annoys the hell out of everyone, Winning the war was a team effort after all.

alien space marine Wrote:Unfortunately many Americans get so boastful and smug about it that it annoys the hell out of everyone, Winning the war was a team effort after all.

This will sound bad but in simple terms we did most of the work and Russia swooped in at the last day, literally. They claimed victory and thus began the cold war. It was a victory for humanity but a bitter sweet one politically. America has never won a war on its own unless you count the civil war, but even then... we depend on our allies.

Germany didn't need allies, Japan was a front, a red herring to draw attention. By the time the Nippon people had realized it, they had already turned their back to their old ways and leader.

Hitler was a single man who said lets take over the world and all he had to do was make a friend of America or keep us out of his territories until he could do exactly what we did to Japan, scare us in to submission, then be drawn and organized in to aryan groups. His belief was that if you can mold one generation, one city, one school of children, you will have an army in less than two decades and they'll agree to it because you promise them everything and deliver. What's a little genocide and crimes against humanity when we're talking about creating an empire of perfection and wealth, no quarrels of religion, no war, no conflict, no crime, one language, one race under God.

North Korea with the money and strength of Europe, it would have been what Rome only hoped to be, but in a circus-like prison of damnation and guilt, a bastardized vision of peace and he was so close to doing it that all governments, all political leaders know and fear the possibility of a single man creating the same proverbial drop in the ocean. Even with today's technology, in today's world, we all wonder if there will be another Nazi Germany rising. I'm not talking about some country hick who shaves his head and thinks he's aryan, i'm talking about leader in the asian territories or middle eastern who decides they want to give it a shot - all you'd need is the threat of nuclear warfare. With that alone, you can create your own empire, sacrificing your ties to the world.

alien space marine Wrote:Unfortunately many Americans get so boastful and smug about it that it annoys the hell out of everyone, Winning the war was a team effort after all.

As I said, Americans (at least, the generation who fought the war) had every right to be boastful. The rest of the world, upset by America's take on the war, always forgets that we were fighting two wars at once, and nobody was giving us any substantial help in the other one.

Even if America stayed out of Europe and Russia won anyway, the fact remains that the only variable for Europe would be which totalitarian hellhole would they be a part of for the next few centuries.

Finally, it was a team effort by the Europeans for starting all that remarkably stupid shit in the first place.

On this day in 1889 - Darunia - 20th April 2010

Haha... poor little Canada. Canada's presence was token, and unless I'm very much mistaken almost entirely European. And what of Canada's contributions to the Battle of Midway and Leyte Gulf... the Pacific war was the US v. Japan, with bit contributions from Britain and Australia (i.e. very minute.) Europe was the US in concert with Britain and Russia... and a little bit of all the occupied countries, but theirs was not what I would call entirely necessary. True, they helped, but it's not like the US and Britain would have been swept off of Normandy if the Canadian's hadn't arrived. America was the Arsenal of Democracy. And Canada was the Arsenal's hat.

lazyfatbum Wrote:This will sound bad but in simple terms we did most of the work and Russia swooped in at the last day, literally. They claimed victory and thus began the cold war. It was a victory for humanity but a bitter sweet one politically. America has never won a war on its own unless you count the civil war, but even then... we depend on our allies.

Germany didn't need allies, Japan was a front, a red herring to draw attention. By the time the Nippon people had realized it, they had already turned their back to their old ways and leader.

Hitler was a single man who said lets take over the world and all he had to do was make a friend of America or keep us out of his territories until he could do exactly what we did to Japan, scare us in to submission, then be drawn and organized in to aryan groups. His belief was that if you can mold one generation, one city, one school of children, you will have an army in less than two decades and they'll agree to it because you promise them everything and deliver. What's a little genocide and crimes against humanity when we're talking about creating an empire of perfection and wealth, no quarrels of religion, no war, no conflict, no crime, one language, one race under God.

North Korea with the money and strength of Europe, it would have been what Rome only hoped to be, but in a circus-like prison of damnation and guilt, a bastardized vision of peace and he was so close to doing it that all governments, all political leaders know and fear the possibility of a single man creating the same proverbial drop in the ocean. Even with today's technology, in today's world, we all wonder if there will be another Nazi Germany rising. I'm not talking about some country hick who shaves his head and thinks he's aryan, i'm talking about leader in the asian territories or middle eastern who decides they want to give it a shot - all you'd need is the threat of nuclear warfare. With that alone, you can create your own empire, sacrificing your ties to the world.

I think Osama Bin ladin has just such a vision,Many foreign friends of Hitler like Yasser Arafat mentor Mohammad Amin al-Husayni wanted to create a new ottoman empire with the help of the third Reich.

I say either islam declines and fades thanks to the information age just like christianity is or within a thousand years the world will be ruled by a global caliphate and humanity will be bound to the unchangeable laws created by dessert wandering 7th century bedouins.

[Image: oic-map.jpg]

Darunia Wrote:Haha... poor little Canada. Canada's presence was token, and unless I'm very much mistaken almost entirely European. And what of Canada's contributions to the Battle of Midway and Leyte Gulf... the Pacific war was the US v. Japan, with bit contributions from Britain and Australia (i.e. very minute.) Europe was the US in concert with Britain and Russia... and a little bit of all the occupied countries, but theirs was not what I would call entirely necessary. True, they helped, but it's not like the US and Britain would have been swept off of Normandy if the Canadian's hadn't arrived. America was the Arsenal of Democracy. And Canada was the Arsenal's hat.

Darunia your just the kind of person that your countrymen should thank for wrecking your image abroad.

Canadian forces "were counted as a fist of the British empire" at the time, That fist was in the fight from day one while "America" buried its head in the sand in isolationism.

Yeah, Canada really was just a token gesture. I think on THAT much, we can all agree :D. ... Except Canadians, but do they even count?

Actually, you have give Canada extra mad props for its World War II involvement. 1.1 million Canadians engaged in military service during the war out of a population of about 11 million.

Putting up ten percent of your total population to fight a glorious war in which your country was never personally threatened is not "token" by any measure. In fact, it's a fantastic show of brass balls.

If you consider how much Canada gave compared to how much had to offer, their level of courage and valor for that effort is practically unmatched in modern history!

100% of the country of "that one guy on Main" also fought and died, does he win?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pySPScgw-OQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pySPScgw-OQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Canada was threatened , German submarines were sinking ships in our harbor to stop relief aid to Britain, At that time a declaration of war on Britain was a declaration of war on all of its dominions around the globe.

The Canada vs America thing is silly , It might provide amusement but its holly inappropriate to belittle any of the young men in uniform who gave everything in ww2.

On this day in 1889 - Fittisize - 20th April 2010

alien space marine Wrote:Canada was threatened , German submarines were sinking ships in our harbor to stop relief aid to Britain, At that time a declaration of war on Britain was a declaration of war on all of its dominions around the globe.

The Canada vs America thing is silly , It might provide amusement but its holly inappropriate to belittle any of the young men in uniform who gave everything in ww2.

Maybe, I'm not sure - in WWI that was definitely the case, but in WWII I believe Canada exercised a bit more autonomy in deciding whether or not to declare war. But yeah, as Ryan said, Canada gave a lot in WWII. It definitely wasn't "tokenism" as any Canadian high school social studies textbook will tell you. They were an incredibly brave and feared force in the war and in fact Canada accomplished many great things during that time, including the liberation of the Netherlands and being of integral help to the Manhattan Project (well, maybe that's not such a great thing). It's a period of history that is a source of immense pride in this country. The folk-stories of heroism and bravery when speaking of Canadian and American soldiers from a micro level, I've noticed (my grandpa was a US Marine in Korea and his brothers fought in the Pacific Theatre), are basically identical and premised the same. The Canadians, as the story goes, answered the call of duty for the sake of their country, freedom, and democracy. They were incredibly brave, leaving their homes and families to fight abroad for a cause that was bigger than them. There was much hardship and sorrow, with some of them never returning and causing much heartbreak to their loved ones at home, but in the end they were all regarded as national heroes and victors. How can you not respect that?

Of course, it was also the cause of much internal strife in this country between French and English Canada, resulted in the internment of tens of thousands of Japanese-Canadians, and was illustrative of an incredible act of anti-semitism when asylum was refused for a ship containing 900 Jews on the SS St. Louis, the vast majority of which died in concentration camps upon returning to Europe. But Canadian WWII folkore, as is the case with American folklore, doesn't include these decidely non-heroic acts in its contruction.

On this day in 1889 - Unreadphilosophy - 20th April 2010

What I find interesting regarding both World Wars and Hitler's rise to power is the complete ignorance and filtering that mainstream history does regarding America's banking elites in their connection to these acts. I'm specifically talking about J.P Morgan and the Rockefeller family. And, no, what I'm talking about is not a conspiracy theory. I can back-up what I'm talking about with historical facts. Would you guys like me to tell you what I've researched?

On this day in 1889 - Fittisize - 20th April 2010

Unreadphilosophy Wrote:What I find interesting regarding both World Wars and Hitler's rise to power is the complete ignorance and filtering that mainstream history does regarding America's banking elites in their connection to these acts. I'm specifically talking about J.P Morgan and the Rockefeller family. And, no, what I'm talking about is not a conspiracy theory. I can back-up what I'm talking about with historical facts. Would you guys like me to tell you what I've researched?

Don't forget other famous Americans with Nazi ties, like Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh!

UNFURL THE RESEARCH

On this day in 1889 - Unreadphilosophy - 20th April 2010

^Taking a break from studying from a quiz. The information is going to take me a while to post, so I'm going to have to do it tomorrow. I will get it posted, though. Stay tuned.

On this day in 1889 - Darunia - 22nd April 2010

If Canada hadn't liberated the Netherlands, do you think it would still be under Axis control today? Just like Paris was "liberated by France".... it's not like they unilaterally took it over. I enjoy this dichotomy of Canada... they love being peaceful and cozy and socialist and hate us for being machismo and domineering, and then they desperately try to trumpet up what little bit of military history they do have. Whatever percentage of Canadians that did serve, while it cannot be argued that they did not fight well, and they did help the effort, was not so important that they could not have been done without. Any more than other token countries (or dominions of real countries) were essential to the war effort. What do you all think, do you think we could have swung it without the help of Denmark? Or Greece? I'm sure if you talk to them, they'll be trumpeting up their merits... but let's be frank. If sometimes America is prone to boast of itself, this is one time where nobody can blame us. WWII was won by the United States, Russia and Britain. Others helped, but the fact that the US and not Canada sits on the UN security council (bear in mind that all the major victorious world powers of the day were there seated) must be telling.Thus, they were token: the war would've been won with or without them. The same with a score of other lesser powers. Just like Paris didn't have to be re-taken by the French--that was allowed to happen by Allied planning.

Don't forget other famous Americans with Nazi ties, like Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh! Well, I'm sure there are plenty of famous Canadians who had Nazi ties, too! Just make a list of world-famous Canadians from the 40s, like... like.... hmm... there's got to be at least one... no, I guess not.

Don't feel bad, Canada, we love you just the way you are, all cute! You're a cute little Canada, aren't ya? Aren't ya! Haha ya... there's that smile. Good Canada. Now go back to hockey and maple syrup.

And ASM--did I catch you riffing America for being isolationist in the 30s and 1940? Really? But, if we attack a country like Iraq, under similar suspicions of preventative action in advance of trouble ahead, we're war-mongers?

On this day in 1889 - Weltall - 22nd April 2010

I think that the effort Canada gave to the war effort was vastly beyond what was actually required of them (something which very few Allied nations can claim). I'm not sure how you can rag on them.

I think it's also possible that America can be proud of saving the world in the early 1940s, and certainly Canada could not have duplicated this, but could have sat back and not gotten involved if they decided to be neutral. Canada was not at immediate risk to her interests and had basically nothing to gain by joining the war. The fact that they gave so much of what they had towards fighting it, to me, makes them heroes.

Besides, Canada was a more useful and dependable ally to America beyond all others except the British. Certainly, most of our other 'allies' cared little or nothing about America's own stakes and did basically nothing to help or support us in any substantial way.

On this day in 1889 - Dark Jaguar - 22nd April 2010

Aaannd then this happened.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8eq2-WH7WoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8eq2-WH7WoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

On this day in 1889 - alien space marine - 22nd April 2010

Darunia Wrote:If Canada hadn't liberated the Netherlands, do you think it would still be under Axis control today? Just like Paris was "liberated by France".... it's not like they unilaterally took it over. I enjoy this dichotomy of Canada... they love being peaceful and cozy and socialist and hate us for being machismo and domineering, and then they desperately try to trumpet up what little bit of military history they do have. Whatever percentage of Canadians that did serve, while it cannot be argued that they did not fight well, and they did help the effort, was not so important that they could not have been done without. Any more than other token countries (or dominions of real countries) were essential to the war effort. What do you all think, do you think we could have swung it without the help of Denmark? Or Greece? I'm sure if you talk to them, they'll be trumpeting up their merits... but let's be frank. If sometimes America is prone to boast of itself, this is one time where nobody can blame us. WWII was won by the United States, Russia and Britain. Others helped, but the fact that the US and not Canada sits on the UN security council (bear in mind that all the major victorious world powers of the day were there seated) must be telling.Thus, they were token: the war would've been won with or without them. The same with a score of other lesser powers. Just like Paris didn't have to be re-taken by the French--that was allowed to happen by Allied planning.

Don't forget other famous Americans with Nazi ties, like Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh! Well, I'm sure there are plenty of famous Canadians who had Nazi ties, too! Just make a list of world-famous Canadians from the 40s, like... like.... hmm... there's got to be at least one... no, I guess not.

Don't feel bad, Canada, we love you just the way you are, all cute! You're a cute little Canada, aren't ya? Aren't ya! Haha ya... there's that smile. Good Canada. Now go back to hockey and maple syrup.

And ASM--did I catch you riffing America for being isolationist in the 30s and 1940? Really? But, if we attack a country like Iraq, under similar suspicions of preventative action in advance of trouble ahead, we're war-mongers?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3KOPil9ABUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3KOPil9ABUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

On this day in 1889 - Darunia - 22nd April 2010

Hehehe.