Tendo City
It's Shitstorm Day! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: It's Shitstorm Day! (/showthread.php?tid=5598)

It's Shitstorm Day! - Unreadphilosophy - 21st March 2010

Here's the latest weather report for Washington:

[Image: shitstorm-flyer.jpg]

C-SPAN is being dominated by my television. Depending on what the House does will determine whether I start masturbating in happiness or wailing in anger.

Get the popcorn ready for the shit storm!

It's Shitstorm Day! - Weltall - 21st March 2010

You could just masturbate in anger. I couldn't count the number of times I've engaged in that lovely brand of therapy.

Well, it does help release anger in a productive fashion.

In all seriousness, Ryan, what are you expecting from today?

I'm pretty confident that the House will pass it. The Dems seem to have gotten enough people off the fence.

^Yesterday, I heard a report that some of the Dems would be voting against it. We'll see how that changes things.

Most of the people calling C-SPAN's hot line are showing opposition to the bill.

The Dems are giving the guilt speech. Not surprised.

The bill got to 216.

-Screw Reid
- Screw Pelosi
- Screw the government
- Go Broncos

*totally called it*

It's Shitstorm Day! - etoven - 21st March 2010

Unreadphilosophy Wrote:The bill got to 216.

-Screw Reid
- Screw Pelosi
- Screw the government
- Go Broncos
How much did it need to pass???
Does that mean where fucked now?

Is my doctor going to rape me now...
Cause that would be totally hot... No seriously she's hot.

Either way I bet the presidents having a victory fuck right now. I bet if someone suggested it right now he would declare a "shit nigga, dodged that bullet day", where every one runs naked threw the street drinking bud light and eating nachos.

They where talking about this today on NPR, if the bill passes the president is a history maker, if it fails the president becomes Nixon all over again.

^The bill needed 216 to pass. However, with the unconstitutional tool known as reconciliation, the bill can be forced through without the proper oversight from Congress.

The Democrats promised not to be like the idiot Republicans who pissed all over the Constitution when Bush was in office. They're now following in their foot steps.

And, no, it does not mean your doctor is going to rape you. Oh, how hot is she? I'm curious.

He would've been Nixon? Newsflash: He is Nixon. This bill was Obama's Watergate. When he signs this bill into law, he will be sacrificing the Democrats on the Alter of Stupidity.

It's Shitstorm Day! - lazyfatbum - 23rd March 2010

.....I THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA

*HIDES*

But yunno, let's drug test and screen the alcoholics out so like, where a family of 27 members in a one bedroom house owns a Ferrari in the middle of a fucking ghetto. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, BLACK PEOPLE.

...AND SOME MEXICANS, BUT MOSTLY BLACK (Mexican Ferrari's are usually purple with glitter and orange interior). Seriously, you should be ashamed of yourselves, you should be like white people and have that shitty T-Bird/Mustang that doesn't get you laid now and never did sitting outside with a half-assed tarp that was probably a tent that you never used laying over it but not covering enough to reveal the shades of gray primer where you tried to hide the rust you fucking hick. Okay nevermind I hate everyone, who cares if we have medical.

It's Shitstorm Day! - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2010

The bill is something of a bad bill, but that's only because it doesn't go nearly far enough... I would have voted for it if I was there, but I'd be one of the ones doing so reluctantly because we really, REALLY need a public option, that's for sure. The extreme anti-abortion provisions in the bill are also a major, MAJOR downside to the bill, and not opposing it just for that alone is very difficult... but there is enough good there that I support it anyway. It will do more good than harm, no question.

Oh yeah, and the sheer insanity of today's Republican party really is sad to see...

Here's about the only thing I've seen from a Republican strategist which isn't borderline insane or beyond: http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo

Sure, I disagree with him on what he'd want to change about the bill, I'm sure, but at least that's coming from a point where there can actually be a debate. With most of the Republican party today, though, that's not an option... and I'm sure that this year the reasonable wing of the Republican party isn't going to be going anywhere fast. When such huge numbers of Republicans believe completely insane (or just flat-out racist) things such as "Obama was born in Kenya" and other such idiotic things, there's not much you can do but hope that the crazies don't win much...

<object width="448" height="284"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailykostv.com/flv/player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="flashvars" value="config=http://www.dailykostv.com/w/002619/vxml.php?448"></param><embed src="http://www.dailykostv.com/flv/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="448" height="284" flashvars="config=http://www.dailykostv.com/w/002619/vxml.php?448"></embed></object>

Oh yeah, and for anyone who buys into the idea that if Republicans win this fall they can repeal it, that's not possible. Even if every single open Senate seat went Republican (something that of course will not even remotely happen), it wouldn't be enough to overturn a veto. So sure, run on repeal and "ITS EVIL", but it won't get you very far in the real world...

It's Shitstorm Day! - Unreadphilosophy - 23rd March 2010

^Even if the government can't repeal it, the state can still nullify the bill under the power of the tenth amendment to the Constitution.

States can't do anything about it, federal laws beat state ones. 14 states have sued now, I guess... those lawsuits are doomed.

As for federal attempts to stop it, again, no, they won't pass anytime in the next three years at least. It's impossible.

Federal laws only trump state laws if the Constitution says that the federal laws are just. If not, they're out the window. The tenth amendment does not give the federal government does give the government the power to force people to buy insurance or face a fine. That's abusive control. I know quite a few constitutional lawyers, and everyone of them agree that the people have every justification in the world to express state rights against this bill.

Considering that you posted something from The Daily KOS (shudders), I'm going to assume that you're a member of that group and going to disagree with me on all fronts. If that's true: I'm sorry, but I'm you're antithesis.

It's Shitstorm Day! - Weltall - 23rd March 2010

Quote:I'm going to assume that you're a member of that group and going to disagree with me on all fronts.

That's pretty much exactly what is true and what you can expect!

Hey, I support everyone's right to believe what they want.

Oh, Falcon, just so we're clear, I'm not a Republican. I hated Bushed with an utter passion, and I despise people like Palin and McCain. If you're interested: I'm a libertarian/constitutionalist who is part of the Ron Paul movement.

First -- technically no I'm not a member of Daily Kos, I don't have an account there... I just read the site regularly and, yes, am liberal.

"Constitutionalist"? I know some Republicans and such like to use the term, but it really has no meaning. Scalia calls himself that, and then he does things like completely redefine the second amendment. That's not based on the constitution, that's based on what he wants law to be like. "Constitutional" is just a cover he uses for his legal opinions, which actually aren't any more "constitutional" than the liberals on the Supreme Court are.

Politicians are hypocrites I know, and this definitely affects all sides, but still...

As for libertarians, they're kind of weird. On civil rights and such I mostly agree, apart from how many of them completely go against their entire supposed philosophy by wanting federal legislation against abortion, but on government I couldn't be much more different... it's a kind of strange mixture, and it is true that they're definitely gaining power in the Republican Party today.

Nominate those extremist radicals though, more of them will probably fail in November than would if the more moderate candidates were nominated because the general public is centrist, not radical like party bases are. Yes, extremists can win solidly even in moderate districts at times, and this goes for both parties (some strong Democrats represent moderate-at-best districts and hold their seats), but still... I don't think the Republican Party is doing itself many favors by getting so extreme. It makes legislating very hard, which is obviously their goal, but hurts the country in general really. The Republicans are very far right right now and keep heading right full steam, while Democrats are centrist at best and definitely aren't going left, sadly. (No, this is most definitely not a left-wing health care bill!)

Oh yeah, and now that health care actually passed, look at Obama and the Democrats' ratings edge up... it makes sense, one reason why some people were saying they disliked the Democrats definitely was because of their failure to pass anything. I sure was pretty mad at them for months because of it... but now that they actually passed something, Democrats are much happier with the president and undecideds saw that yes, the Democrats actually can get some things done. It takes ridiculous amounts of time, but they can get them done. Good things...

This still probably will be a good year for Republicans this November, but not as good as it'd have been if they actually had managed to kill health care. Passing this bill helps the Democrats, not hurts them, at the box office.

It's Shitstorm Day! - EdenMaster - 24th March 2010

Unreadphilosophy Wrote:I'm a libertarian/constitutionalist who is part of the Ron Paul movement.

No disrespect, but I was amazed at how many people really thought he had a chance. I mean come on. Doesn't matter who he is or what he will do, if he's not a Democrat or a Republican, he's not getting even a sliver of votes compared to the major parties. He was a pipe dream, and Obama and McCain likely shared a laugh over him at at least one point during the election.

It's Shitstorm Day! - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2010

EdenMaster Wrote:No disrespect, but I was amazed at how many people really thought he had a chance. I mean come on. Doesn't matter who he is or what he will do, if he's not a Democrat or a Republican, he's not getting even a sliver of votes compared to the major parties. He was a pipe dream, and Obama and McCain likely shared a laugh over him at at least one point during the election.

It's like Democrats who supported Dennis Kucinich for president I think, it's because they're the one closest to what you actually believe in... that's what primary voters usually do, actually. Just because Kuchinich or Paul won't win doesn't mean you shouldn't support them if it's closest to what you actually believe...

A Black Falcon Wrote:It's like Democrats who supported Dennis Kucinich for president I think, it's because they're the one closest to what you actually believe in... that's what primary voters usually do, actually. Just because Kuchinich or Paul won't win doesn't mean you shouldn't support them if it's closest to what you actually believe...

I'm not saying you shouldn't support them, just don't be crestfallen when they barely make it out of the starting gate. Be like Cleveland Browns fans.

It's Shitstorm Day! - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2010

EdenMaster Wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't support them, just don't be crestfallen when they barely make it out of the starting gate. Be like Cleveland Browns fans.

Yeah, that's true, and that's probably why I was more disappointed that Hilary didn't win than Kucinich. I never expected him to win, but Hilary actually had a chance, and actually supported universal health care, unlike Obama...

It's Shitstorm Day! - alien space marine - 24th March 2010

EdenMaster Wrote:No disrespect, but I was amazed at how many people really thought he had a chance. I mean come on. Doesn't matter who he is or what he will do, if he's not a Democrat or a Republican, he's not getting even a sliver of votes compared to the major parties. He was a pipe dream, and Obama and McCain likely shared a laugh over him at at least one point during the election.

I know I am a canadian , But I am pretty certain that Ron Paul ran as a republican for the presidential candidacy.

He had a devouted following that was more fired by enthusiasm then the other guys, It was his radically new approach to things that attracted younger college age voters even though he is uncharismatic with his oratory

alien space marine Wrote:I know I am a canadian , But I am pretty certain that Ron Paul ran as a republican for the presidential candidacy.

I stand corrected, I was confusing him with *snicker* Ralph Nader.

All these people who end up with >2% of the vote all look the same to me.

It's Shitstorm Day! - Geno - 25th March 2010

Isn't Ron Paul a registered Republican? I know he ran as a Libertarian in 1988, but afterwards he rejoined the Republican party and was running in the Republican primary in 2008. While third parties have virtually no chance of winning the presidency, a moderate Republican could. Unfortunately, those who vote in the Republican primaries are usually neo-cons voting for other neo-cons, and a neo-con becomes the major Republican candidate for president. More moderates should vote in the primary election to prevent the extremists from taking over.

EDIT: Okay, I'm a little late. I see now that EdenMaster posted saying that he got Paul mixed with Nader.

It's Shitstorm Day! - Weltall - 25th March 2010

John McCain is definitely not a neo-con.

It's Shitstorm Day! - Sacred Jellybean - 25th March 2010

I was glad that John McCain won the republican nomination in 2008, because I considered him the most reasonable of all the republican candidates. He kowtowed to neo-cons more on the campaign trail (even before vetting Sarah Palin), but all presidential candidates will make themselves as widely appealing as possible, so I don't blame him. Predicting how he'd run the White House based on his voting record is a better chance at listening to what he says in presidential campaign speeches.

But then he nominated Sarah Palin as vice presidential candidate and that... I... how... what... yeah, that was the end of that. Obama may be a disappointment and ineffective at setting the stage for a liberal agenda, but I'll never regret that vote.