Tendo City
The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo (/showthread.php?tid=5564)

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 6th March 2010

The thread pretty much says it all. Twilight Princess was good, Metroid Prime 2 was good, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was good, Excite Trucks was fun, and Super Mario Galaxy was great, but those all feel like that came out ages ago. If you asked me today what Nintendo game I've played since then, I don't think I've had an answer.

This years looks better with Metroid Other M, Sin and Punishment 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2, but they need a really strong second half of 2010 if they want to reel me back in.

As it stands, I'm perfectly happy to play PC games and some 360-exclusives, while only thinking about Nintendo maybe once or twice a year [if that].

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 6th March 2010

I still like the Wii, but I will agree that there haven't been a lot of great major releases lately. I'm still enjoying Mario Kart Wii, thought to be fair, I only recently got that game and it's been out for almost two years. I recently downloaded Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on WiiWare, but that's more a game for fans of the original game and even then it's nowhere near as good as the original, but I nonetheless enjoyed it. Now I'm just anticipating the next big Zelda game.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2010

I started playing TP again in late 2008 (starting from where I had abandoned it in early 2007, at the second dungeon), got to Ganon by May '09, and moved it way up my list of favorite Gamecube games. I definitely like it better than Wind Waker now -- WW does have the better story, and I still really dislike a lot of aspects of the plot and characters in TP, while WW has a better story (not ideal or something, but better than TPs for sure). However, gameplay-wise TP is outstanding and blows away WW, and Zelda games are mostly about the gameplay.

So yeah, the #1 reason I want a Wii is to have it for when Zelda comes out. Honestly, if a real Zelda game had come out sooner, I'd probably have gotten one then... that's the game I really want, along with Fire Emblem... but Zelda is what makes me really want to own it.

I agree, of course, that the Wii's almost total lack of third party support despite its winning marketshare is very disappointing. This is not really Nintendo's developers' fault -- they are still making a good number of fantastic first-party games -- but third parties just aren't very interested in supporting the technologically weaker system, and Nintendo isn't willing to pay them all off for support, obviously. It has been sad to watch third party support if anything go backwards from where it was on the Gamecube, quality-wise... and bizarre, with how successful the Wii is. You'd think that with so many of the first party titles placing so high in console all-time sales charts some third parties would want to really try to get into that market too, but I guess they prefer losing money on expensive HD games that will never make back their investment... their choice, really. :)

I mean, looking at what has been released there are things I'm interested in -- A Boy And His Blob, Gradius Resurrection, Castlevania Resurrection, Excite Truck, ExciteBots, Battalion Wars 2, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Blast Works: Build & Destroy, Castle Shikigami III, Ultimate Shooting Collection, Sin & Punishment (VC), Speed Racer, Nitrobike, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Excitebike World Rally, Arthur Mclean's Speed Zone, Klonoa, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack & Wiki, maybe Dewy's Adventure, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, etc... it's not like there's nothing there I want.

Other than that, the DS is of course this generation's real winning console, not the Wii... DS Japanese third-party support blows away that on any of the three "main" consoles. I know I haven't bought as many DS games as I should, but still, I have bought some and that is very much true.

Yeah, I definitely play my DS more than my Wii and even own more games for it despite having only owned it since February 2008, compared to April 2007 with the Wii.

I edited a list of Wii games I'm interested in into that last post... but yes, the DS clearly has been better than the Wii this generation. It's not too surprising when you consider how dominant it has been in Japan. Japan fell behind the technologically this generation, the DS and PSP are winning there and the major Japanese studios have been struggling with HD titles... I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but it has been interesting considering how dominant they were on the PS1 and PS2. Now that stuff is mostly on DS and PSP and the average American gamer mostly plays Western games now, instead of playing both... quite different times.

Quote:A Boy And His Blob, Gradius Resurrection, Castlevania Resurrection, Excite Truck, ExciteBots, Battalion Wars 2, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Blast Works: Build & Destroy, Castle Shikigami III, Ultimate Shooting Collection, Sin & Punishment (VC), Speed Racer, Nitrobike, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Excitebike World Rally, Arthur Mclean's Speed Zone, Klonoa, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack & Wiki, maybe Dewy's Adventure, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, etc... it's not like there's nothing there I want.

About a third of those are Wiiware games, some of them aren't really that great, and I don't think any of them came out within the past year.

Quote:This is not really Nintendo's developers' fault -- they are still making a good number of fantastic first-party games

In the past 2 years there's been:

Endless Ocean - a fun diversion, but nothing amazing
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - great fan service, but lacking in game
Mario Kart Wii - sequel that doesn't do anything the previous games didn't
Animal Crossing Wii - same as Mario Kart
Wario Land - fun game, but feels like it should have been WiiWare instead
Excitebots - looks fun, but after playing through the first game I'm just not that interested in a sequel
New Super Mario Bros. - An update of NSMB DS, good and I'd like to play it
Punch-Out!! - looks fun, might get it someday when it's cheaper
Wii Sports Resort - played the first to death, not really that interested in a sequel

That's what the past two years have been, two or three fun games and not much else.

Quote:About a third of those are Wiiware games, some of them aren't really that great, and I don't think any of them came out within the past year.

You're right some are WiiWare, I wasn't separating by distribution method.

On that note, the lack of Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 from that list is pretty obvious, to name just a few... and yeah, from your list I notice I missed Wario Land...

Quote:Mario Kart Wii - sequel that doesn't do anything the previous games didn't

I've only played a few hours of it, but based on that I'd say that it's certainly at least my second favorite game in the series, after MK64, and may be the very best one... great game!

What's missing from the Wii's library? Well, perhaps most obviously, where are the flight combat games? I mean, the great ones, like Rogue Squadron or Crimson Skies. The Wiimote would be good for this kind of game... why in the world don't we have any? It's pretty sad. Should we blame Lair? :(

Quote:That's what the past two years have been, two or three fun games and not much else.

They've had a bit more in Japan than they have here, but NOA has been so lazy this gen, on both the DS and Wii, skipping over game after game after game that I'd love to see here... but they're lazy because they're so successful that they haven't actually needed to RELEASE much in order to make huge amounts of money, so yeah. For them it's a good kind of "problem" to have... for us it is a bit more frustrating. I mean you are understating things a little, but yes, things definitely should have been better number-of-games wise... particularly in that half a year when all they released on Wii was like Wario Land, Wii Music, and Animal Crossing...

As for release dates... hmm. No, I think it's a pretty solid mix. Adding a few more I thought of: (this isn't just "MUST HAVES" but also just stuff that I'd consider getting.)

2006 - Disc: Excite Truck
2007 - Disc: (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn), Super Mario Galaxy,Zack & Wiki, Dewy's Adventure, Super Paper Mario, Kororinpa: Marble Mania (maybe), Link's Crossbow Training (maybe), Metroid Prime 3, Alien Syndrome (maybe), de Blob, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (only for cheap)
2008 - Disc: Nitrobike, No More Heroes (maybe), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (not for full price!), Mario Kart Wii, New Play Control: Pikmin (maybe), Blast Works: Build & Destroy, Castle Shikigami III, New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mushroom Men, Wario Land: Shake It!, House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (maybe); WiiWare: Star Soldier R, Mega Man 9
2009 - Disc: Klonoa, ExciteBots, A Boy and his Blob, Speed Zone, New Super Mario Bros., Metroid Prime Trilogy, Ultimate Shooting Collection, Dead Space: Extraction (maybe), House of the Dead Overkill (maybe), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Shiren the Wanderer (maybe, perhaps not), Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus (Wii or PS2); Samurai Shodown Anthology (Wii or PS2, I want this badly...); WiiWare: Excitebike World Rally, Eco Shooter: Plant 530, Eduardo, Gradius ReBirth, Contra ReBirth, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
2010 - Disc: Data East Arcade Classics, No More Heroes 2 (maybe); WiiWare: Mega Man 10. Also of course lot of interesting stuff is upcoming this year!

... Yeah it's a fairly random list and not all those games are amazing I know, but I do always have a very hard time narrowing down things, don't I. :)

Quote:but I do always have a very hard time narrowing down things, don't I.

Well, you could start by taking out games that are, by all accounts, dreadful, like Nitrobike and Speed Zone.

Quote:They've had a bit more in Japan than they have here, but NOA has been so lazy this gen, on both the DS and Wii, skipping over game after game after game that I'd love to see here... but they're lazy because they're so successful that they haven't actually needed to RELEASE much in order to make huge amounts of money, so yeah.

It's hardly just NOA, although they have passed up a few games that I might be interested. It's Nintendo as a whole. Once the Wiifit/sport/whatever lineup took off, that seems to be all their really interested in and even that only to the degree that they have to be. They just don't seem to care anymore, far less than it seemed during the Wii's first two years where they were releasing and announcing a slew of top-tier titles. Now? It's a dry wasteland, as worse as there's ever been on a Nintendo console. There's three games from Nintendo right now that I care about and two of them are franchise entries and the other is a sequel.

Quote:Well, you could start by taking out games that are, by all accounts, dreadful, like Nitrobike and Speed Zone.

Speed Zone is a futuristic racing game, so being realistic, I'm going to get it someday, when I find it for $5 or something. That is one of my favorite game genres after all... I generally find futuristic racing games at least tolerable; I've played a lot of them, and can't think of one that I'd call an awful game.

As for Nitro Bike, it's from the people who did Excitebike 64 so not-so-great or not I kind of want to see it... maybe not, if it really is that bad, but I kind of want to.

Quote:It's hardly just NOA, although they have passed up a few games that I might be interested. It's Nintendo as a whole. Once the Wiifit/sport/whatever lineup took off, that seems to be all their really interested in and even that only to the degree that they have to be. They just don't seem to care anymore, far less than it seemed during the Wii's first two years where they were releasing and announcing a slew of top-tier titles.

Oh they care, they care to count the giant vaults full of money that they keep filling. :D

Also I know you and I don't care about them, but are you really not counting things like Wii Fit, etc? Multi-million-selling games that are helping them in one of their key goals with the Wii, succeeding with people who have not previously played games much?

I do agree that making those games has diverted resources that would otherwise have been spent on making more games gamers want, so Nintendo has somewhat disappointed this generation, but really I would argue that third parties have been even more disappointing. Nintendo at least has released some great AAA games on the Wii; third parties... very few. As I said, that's pretty stupid of them when the Wii is the blowout generation winner (DS aside) and a lot of third parties are losing money on the massive costs of HD game development... but then they put like a C team on the Wii, make a rail shooter, have it sell mediocrely, and then act like that's a sign that third party games won't sell on the Wii. It's kind of stupid.

(On that note, other rail shooters on the Wii, such as Target Terror (only for very cheap), Ghost Squad, the two Resident Evil Chronicles games, etc, also could go onto my list, perhaps)

Quote:Now? It's a dry wasteland, as worse as there's ever been on a Nintendo console. There's three games from Nintendo right now that I care about and two of them are franchise entries and the other is a sequel.

I understand the sentiment, but you just go too far. There are three huge games coming from Nintendo in just the next few months, and don't know anything yet about the second half of the year, but they'll have more then... this should be one of the Wii's best years, first party wise. Also, looking at that list of mine there, each year's list is longer than the one before its is. That's kind of a good sign I think, total-games wise at least.

Quote:Also I know you and I don't care about them, but are you really not counting things like Wii Fit, etc? Multi-million-selling games that are helping them in one of their key goals with the Wii, succeeding with people who have not previously played games much?

Oh yes, they've certainly succeeded at that. At the expense of driving me away. So, no, I don't care much if they're achieving their long term goals because achieving those long term goals certainly isn't doing me any favors.

Quote:I understand the sentiment, but you just go too far. There are three huge games coming from Nintendo in just the next few months, and don't know anything yet about the second half of the year, but they'll have more then... this should be one of the Wii's best years, first party wise. Also, looking at that list of mine there, each year's list is longer than the one before its is. That's kind of a good sign I think, total-games wise at least.

Yes, they're three huge games, but those three huge games don't make up for the two years. If in the second half they drop three more huge games, hey, I'll turn down my tune a bit and give them some props.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Mario Kart Wii - sequel that doesn't do anything the previous games didn't
Except go online. I like that feature, anyway. It also helps that it's the only Mario Kart title I own. I've rented Super Mario Kart, I played Mario Kart 64 at a friend's house a few times long ago, and as much as I wanted to play Double Dash, I never did. I've never played a handheld version either. With MKW, I now have no need to own any of the previous titles. I prefer playing against other players as the CPU is too easy, so the online playability is a major plus for me.

For that matter, Brawl makes the previous Super Smash Bros. games obsolete as well (unless you're a fan of one of the Melee characters who did not make the cut into Brawl). However, its online gameplay is very slow and laggy for me, so I don't like that as well. That aside, I did enjoy Subspace Emissary.

I've played pretty much all of the Mario Karts and Mario Kart Wii aside from being kind of fun for a few hours, just wasn't much of anything really.

Quote:For that matter, Brawl makes the previous Super Smash Bros. games obsolete as well (unless you're a fan of one of the Melee characters who did not make the cut into Brawl). However, its online gameplay is very slow and laggy for me, so I don't like that as well. That aside, I did enjoy Subspace Emissary.

I played the heck out of Melee, including dozens of sessions with my friends. Brawl? I beat Subspace Emissary, unlocked all the music, and then put it back on the shelf.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 7th March 2010

^That probably has to do with the fact that Melee preceded Brawl by a good 6-7 years. By the time Brawl came out, you had pretty much gotten the full Super Smash Bros. experience from Melee and Brawl had little more to offer. I experienced the same thing going from Vice City to San Andreas, despite everyone talking about what a vast improvement it was. (And I'm sure it was, but I miss my helicopters and businesses.)

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Weltall - 7th March 2010

I haven't liked videogames in general for at least the last two years.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 7th March 2010

I played the heck out of GTA3 and Vice City, but that didn't stop me from doing the same with San Andreas. Brawl was a good diversion for 20-30 hours, but it just never achieved the same heights as Melee, for whatever reason.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - lazyfatbum - 7th March 2010

Chrono Trigger DS. All you need.

This thread is the exact reason why Nintendo is losing by winning.

Perfect Dark coming to 360 has me excited, the new Lara Croft: Princess of Persia does not.

Super Mario Bros. Wii didn't get me interested, Galaxy 2 has me somewhat interested. I'm looking for No More Heroes 2 and Red Steel 2 to really allow me to sink in. But honestly, i'm looking for games with depth and having a hard time finding them. Can I please have a RTS along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics? ...please?

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 8th March 2010

Chrono Trigger DS... Final Fantasy IV DS... Kirby Super Star Ultra... Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver... it seems to me like half of my favorite DS games are ports of classics. Oh well. They still earn the DS points in my book.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Dark Jaguar - 8th March 2010

That's really more Square-Enix with most of those ports than Nintendo. Oh yes, Nintendo's part of it, but Square-Enix has been doing more milking so far.

However, this is nothing new. Nintendo's been milking their old games with ports for over a decade now. Rare's DKC series was made and remade numerous times across the GBC and GBA, and so were all the Mario games. Heck, this goes back to Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

Sometimes it works in our favor. If Squeenix hadn't pushed out a remake of FF3, I'd have never played it. Same with FF2 for that matter, as both hadn't been released in America up until that point. In fact in that regard, I want a few more rereleases. I wouln't mind Seiken Densetsu 3 or Terranigma being released on the DS as remakes.

On the other hand, constant remakes certainly deplete company resources they could put towards other games. Of course they've kinda gotten the point. Each rerelease of FF1 and 2 as of late get fewer and fewer sales. After Megaman Powered Up and Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Capcom never bothered continuing either "remake" series of the original and X series of Megaman games. I suppose neither sold well enough to justify it.

That said, there's still lots of Nintendo games I am enjoying as of late. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, despite the lazy name, is awesome.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 8th March 2010

I actually played fan translations of FF2 and FF3 on an emulator about a decade ago. I rather enjoyed the latter (though I didn't complete it as my computer crashed; still, I got pretty far). But yeah, ports of games that were never shipped to our shores in the first place are always good.

I like ports as long as the same games don't keep coming out over a short span of time, like you said. I also like when they update the game a little without changing it too much. FFIV is a complete remastering of the original game, and yet it still has the same story, characters, battle system, etc. It's the same basic game, but with better graphics and awesome cut scenes with voice acting. As for Chrono Trigger DS, it's not too different from the PSX port except that it loads faster. It's mostly the same as the SNES game, only with anime cut scenes, another nice touch.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Weltall - 9th March 2010

Quote:Sometimes it works in our favor. If Squeenix hadn't pushed out a remake of FF3, I'd have never played it. Same with FF2 for that matter, as both hadn't been released in America up until that point.

Having played both, I don't think we were missing anything special.

Especially Final Fantasy II. I can think of literally nothing about that game that was good.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 9th March 2010

I didn't care for FFII all that much, but then I didn't play it for very long either. It is noteworthy as the first Final Fantasy to give playable characters individual personalities and even split up the party from time to time, but that aside, it was nothing special, as you said. I actually sort of liked FFIII, though I certainly wouldn't call it great. I got pretty far in it before my computer crashed.

In my opinion, FFIV was the first great Final Fantasy game and that's where the series truly begins for me. It ends with FFIX, though I'm open to giving FFXIII a try. (FFX wasn't terrible, to be fair, but I didn't really like the main characters or their voice actors.)

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - alien space marine - 9th March 2010

Geno Wrote:I didn't care for FFII all that much, but then I didn't play it for very long either. It is noteworthy as the first Final Fantasy to give playable characters individual personalities and even split up the party from time to time, but that aside, it was nothing special, as you said. I actually sort of liked FFIII, though I certainly wouldn't call it great. I got pretty far in it before my computer crashed.

In my opinion, FFIV was the first great Final Fantasy game and that's where the series truly begins for me. It ends with FFIX, though I'm open to giving FFXIII a try. (FFX wasn't terrible, to be fair, but I didn't really like the main characters or their voice actors.)

Yeah, Tidus was a whee bit effeminate and he really sucked compared to other lead characters as he was not very powerful.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Dark Jaguar - 9th March 2010

I wasn't aware of fan translations...

At any rate, I was talking about the modern remakes of them as that's all that got released in America. FF3's remake was very fun, to me anyway. The Mognet "mail system" was kinda annoying though. I ended up just trading 4 boring letters back and forth with a friend to unlock Onion Knight class, which is about all the "send letters to a friend" feature amounts to. FF2 is, well, interesting. It's the first Final Fantasy to try a darker storyline with characters going through tragic stuff, and for that it's certainly worth mentioning. The story is cliche but I have a magic power that lets me put myself in a simpler mindframe when playing older games so I still enjoyed the story, even if I'd heard it a million times. The leveling system is odd, that I'll say. Apparently they made it more balanced and easier to work with in remakes so I can't really compare it to the original. Certainly can't fault attempts to eliminate levels entirely from an RPG. More games should make that attempt, though in this case the execution really didn't do much to eliminate grind at all, it just changed the form.

FFIV's remake on the DS was really nice, but I'll say this. Yes, they have been porting FFIV around a ridiculous amount of times.

Considering the sheer size of a DS cart, I also wish they'd just taken the time to stick the original GBA game onto it. Then again that's the sort of thing I want from pretty much every remake. Few bother to get that in there. Metroid Zero Mission, for example, did exactly that, and it's appreciated. What really impresses me is the elimination of any reason to get the Metroid "Classic Series" GBA cart when it's already fully included in it's own remake. The recent remake of Monkey Island 1 also included the classic there, in a way. However, the execution left out a few touches that would have made it perfect. There's no way to switch to classic mode right from the start, for example, so the title screen sequence and music can never be played classic style. They also took out the "insert disk 213113" joke, for whatever reason. However, on the other hand, one can switch back and forth between modes DURING gameplay (after the title sequence at least) with the press of a button with a seamless transition. That's certainly unique, and can mainly be done because there are no changes to the gameplay, aside from them removing that disk joke, for whatever reason.

FF4: The After Years certainly is an intersting sequel, but it suffers from a rather disappointing pattern of recent RPGs, removing the world map completely and going with "chapters". I don't really need a "world map" per say, I just want the ability to explore a wide world, even if parts are locked off and slowly revealed as I go through a game for purposes of the story. Linear paths are the soup of the day though...

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 10th March 2010

Yeah, FFIV:TAY does suffer from that linear path that Square Enix seems to be obsessed with nowadays. While there is an overworld, most of it is inaccessible throughout most of the game. Even when you have an airship, rarely can you actually, y'know, use it. It might take you to the next area you need to go for the story, but it's automatic. In Rydia's Tale, I believe, you're able to explore the underworld map freely with the airship, but you don't get that sort of freedom in the overworld until the final chapter, The Crystals.

It also isn't until the second half of the Crystals chapter that you can actually choose your party. That marks the first time in FFIV history that you're able to choose your own party as the original game did not allow this. At this point, the game suffers from an over-abundance of characters, most of whom are pretty much useless at this point (and probably too under-leveled to bother with). Assuming you revived Calca and Brina in Rydia's Tale and all the ninjas survived in Edge's Tale, you should have a total of 22 characters by the end of FFIV:TAY (and you probably thought FFVI's 14 was pushing it).

One problem I had with TAY was that much of it was rehashed from the original game: same maps (some of the areas were even traversed multiple times throughout different tales and so by the end of the game, you'd be really sick of that Water Passage between Kaipo and Damcyan), same bosses a lot of the time, etc. On the flip side, it did push forward the character developments and relationships from where they left off in the original FFIV. It resolved the darkness in Kain's soul, it developed the relationship between Rydia and Edge, and it gave more exposure to lesser characters from the orignial game such as Palom and Porom, Edward, and Yang. (I also liked that the idea of the Epopts was expanded upon through Leonora; they, and Troia in general, served very little purpose in the original game.)

Another nitpick I have about the game is that nothing is revealed about the story until the very last chapter. The antagonist is constantly referred to as "Mysterious Girl" and we don't even find out who or what she is until toward the very end of the game. Most Final Fantasy games reveal these things slowly, but this one keeps you in the dark throughout the bulk of the adventure. This probably has to do with the fact that all the chapters happen simultaneously and the order is interchangeable. (On that note, why didn't the American release do like the Japanese release and release Kain's Tale later on? Kain is evil and diabolical throughout most of the tales, and yet because you've already played Kain's Tale, you already know what's going to happen. Kain's Tale also leads into a cliffhanger that isn't resolved until The Crystals.)

But back to the story... once it finally was revealed, it seemed kind of reminiscent of Chrono Trigger to me: an entity from space analyzing life and evolution on various planets for its own benefit and then becoming a destructive force that threatens to destroy the planet? Yup, heard that one already. It's Chrono Trigger without the time travel. In fact, the Bands (probably the most innovative part of this game's battle system) are essentially a rehash of Chrono Trigger's Dual and Triple Techs (with the addition of Quadruple and Quintuple Techs now due to the larger parties).

For all my nitpicking, I did enjoy the game. I'd only recommend it to fans of the original Final Fantasy IV though.

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - lazyfatbum - 10th March 2010

I'm sure you all know by now why Earthbound games aren't released here, but did anyone here get a chance to play Mother 3 (translated)? Holy krap...

And everyone should play FF9. Everyone. It's so yummy you'll ask for seconds but get none and then play shitty flash games and hope. Just like we hoped for Chrono Trigger Resurrection............. *cries*

The past two years I haven't liked Nintendo - Geno - 10th March 2010

FFIX wasn't popular enough for Square Enix to milk it any further. On one hand, that's good because most sequels suck and are unnecessary, but on the other hand, I would love to see the cast and the world of FFIX again.

And yes, a real Chrono Trigger sequel (i.e. not Chrono Cross) is a must. Screw all these new characters, I don't want Serge and Kid, I want Crono and Marle, damn it! But alas, Square Enix canceled any hopes we ever had of a true followup to Chrono Trigger. :crap: