Tendo City
Some important news - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Some important news (/showthread.php?tid=5531)

Some important news - lazyfatbum - 16th February 2010

Okay so first of all, if you haven't heard, GDC's coming and everyone and their brother is saying that Nintendo has a new platform. They say 'Platform' not accessory, of course, Nintendo calls the Balance Board a platform... because it's actually a platform that you stand on, but this seems different. It could be vitality sensor oriented but I think that was a farce or a look in to a feature, ie: built in to a controller.

Other than that huge chunk o'news we have the new Metroid: Other M and Zelda: Something of Something to be shown finally, as well as Galaxy 2 and 'other surprises' which kinda falls in to the rumor mill of the hardware again. There is a lot of talk about the DS successor, a new hardware that is DS/DSi compatible but is built with new tech on-board. This is where the Tegra chip news comes in. Remember that partnership with Nintendo and the chip that allowed for HD 3-D graphics on par with 360 in a handheld device? And how Nintendo was getting the more powerful version of that? Who knows what they'll show, but if Nintendo feels the need, they'll let loose a flurry of info. It all depends on what the other company's are going to show and how Nintendo views its own stance on the market right now.

So GDC promises a lot of surprises, playable versions of the games we saw a year ago and even new hardware. But I just found this tidbit of info - Nintendo repurchased their trademark of "Eternal Darkness". This is odd because it just expired recently. Now as you probably know, companies will purchase trademarks JUST to make sure no one else can use it. But there's a whole generation of people out there who would enjoy a remake of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem with 1:1 Moplus and freak us out with Wiimote speakers, batteries are dying, the Wii disk light, internet connection and more. The story, camera use, art direction, monsters, characters, etc are so well done all you'd have to do really is add some new areas, new scares, maybe some scenarios for the Mantorok alignment? I mean, the game doesn't need to be updated really, beyond making it Wii-friendly with motion controls and pointing, dont you think?

Make it like RE4 Nintendo! Over the shoulder while aiming/fighting and pin-point targeting (which is already there) would make a great addition to the gameplay that was called 'sometimes very clunky' - it would make everything more fluid. If you wanted to go all out, why not add use of the Wii Speak so we can actually talk out the runes for spells? Use the balance board for puzzles? There's a million things you can do to Eternal Darkness with today's technology and peripherals!

*imagines running around the converted church during world war 1 in RE4 style*

Some important news - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2010

Yeah, speculation over what Nintendo is making next are flying all over the place, that's for sure... but while a lot of people seem to want a Wii HD, for some reason, I don't think there' much chance that that'd be this year. It certainly shouldn't be, Wii is only a little over three years old and it shouldn't be replaced so soon.

I know that supposedly if the Wii went HD they'd get more PS360 ports and stuff, but first, Nintendo doesn't need to care about that because what they care about most is selling their own games, which are selling record numbers. Third parties don't matter as much to them... I'm sure that they are a little sad that third parties have had such incompetent Wii strategies and are so determined to stay focused on risky, often money-losing PS360PC strategies, particularly because of all the potential revenues they're losing (from the lower third party game sales than there would otherwise be), but the Wii is doing so well that I doubt that bothers them THAT much. With those kinds of profits, after all, who would care about that kind of thing? Nintendo isn't being stupid, financially, the third parties are. :)

Anyway, yeah, of course there'll be another Wii eventually, probably in a few years, and I have no idea what it'll look like, but I don't think Nintendo would release another system if the only change was better graphics. They've said that they'd need to have more than that to make it worth it, and i think that that makes a lot of sense.

As for it being a new handheld, though... that's possible. The DSi is pretty new, but Nintendo seems to have decided to not really support it except with download titles, so they could release another system soon, particularly if it is backwards compatible with both DS and DSiware games... I think it's too soon, but Nintendo seems to be able to get away with anything handhelds-related these days. I really have no idea what they'd do for a system though, there was this one weird supposed leak with buttons on the screen, but I doubt that's real... way too weird and flawed an idea.

So yeah, I don't have a clue what Nintendo's going to do, but I do doubt that it's going to be a Wii HD. :)

Oh, as for a new Eternal Darkness, new game or remake that is, yeah, that'd be awesome. ED is of course one of my favorite Gamecube games, so I'd love to see it return...

Some important news - lazyfatbum - 23rd February 2010

An add-on would be easy, lock it on and developers can now make HD games. Whoopy. But Nintendo wants to really compete and offer something radically new just like the Wii originally did. Something that will again make all the console manufacturers cock their head like a confused dog and claim shenanigans.

DS2 is real, I cant talk about it beyond that. But i'm unsure if my theory still holds that it will be the all-in-one device in respect to it being the home console and the portable in one. One prototype has one screen similar to the PSP, but all the R&D is leaning towards the dual screen interface, there's even talk of a third screen that you see when it's closed.

My look at the market says 3-D is coming in a very big way, and it will be glasses-free. PS3 will have it first and it will use glasses, other companies will follow suit as it grows in demand but when the glasses-free televisions hit the market it will be all but too easy to program the games for that display. Further more, putting it on a hand held is just as easy. Wink wink.

There is a fantastic controller ready to hit the market that is shaped like a ring. It needs no sensor bar and allows pixel-perfect aiming (even if someone stands in front of it) and ALWAYS knows where it is in relation to your body and the screen. No idea how its done, but it works and its badass. I talked before on why I think a console with no controller (just hands) is overly simplistic and will get clunky for the consumer to remember everything. Just imagine an FPS and switching weapons, quick turn, looking, jumping, and no controller? It will be more cardio than Wii Fit ever hoped to be. So the future of video games, as long as we use a monitor, will need a controller realistically. Sure, the wii sports-esque mini games, painting, simple games will be a riot on the Natal system but anything like Batman: Arkham Asylum, God of War, Call of Doody, even Mario Galaxy on a hands-only system would be a confusing trip through hand placement/movement and body positioning to even do the simplest of things.

The future has a controller, i'm almost certain.

So a DS2 that is also our home console - during the portable we use a stylus. A 2-D stylus that can only move in 2-D across the screen. It doesn't recognize 3-D movement... but the DS2 is a wiimote, itself is the 3-D controller. But this gets ridiculous, again, if you think of FPS schemes where looking would be physically moving your DS2 around you. But using the stylus to look, and using the DS2 to hold closer or further away from you to zoom in and out? Pretty spiffy. So Now we can handle the cross over because when you make it your console, you pick up a controller which has the motion tech of the DS2, that motion controller also has a pointer. You are now using the stylus and motion but using your TV as the screen... oh shit. Now we have another issue to overcome. If the DS2 is in fact dual screen, where's the second screen. On the DS2? So... is the DS2 in our laps or on the coffee table transmitting the game data to a wireless receiver to output on to the television? Sure, that should be quite possible indeed. But what would the cost be... so many questions.

But its still my theory, all i can do is wait.