Tendo City
N64 pad on 360? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: N64 pad on 360? (/showthread.php?tid=5530)

N64 pad on 360? - lazyfatbum - 15th February 2010

This is an obvious one, with PD hitting XBLA the need to have a N64 controller has become a necessity. I have tried every controller on the market but time and again the D-Pad with analog stick has become so precise for me it literally makes the difference between having to waddle my way through or start a new game on expert difficulties with little to no problem.

But the 360 controller is just not setup for this, so every FPS i've played on it has that clunky waddle feel to it. If the right stick is set to strafe and look with the left is on move and turn it's better, but still abnormally counterproductive in terms of being precise.

The N64 setup allowed the player to move and strafe on the C buttons (in a d-pad setup) and look freely using the stick. When I played against 'expert' call of duty players, when I had no previous experience with the game, I killed more people than AIDS and they started calling me the plague. This holds true for every FPS i've played on PC.

I know there will be some one who will say keyboard and mouse expert can smoke me but trust me, me with an N64 controller in a FPS is like Schwarzenegger with a broadsword. It's perfect. But I cant have the proverbial peanut butter and jelly bliss on 360 because there's no N64 controller made for the stupid thing. That brings me to my point.

SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD TELL ME HOW TO USE AN N64 PAD ON 360!!!!!! IF I CANT USE ONE I AM GOING TO EAT WAHBURGERS AND FRENCHCRIES ALL FUCKING DAY.

N64 pad on 360? - Dark Jaguar - 15th February 2010

The control scheme in the PD remake is staying the same. You'll be able to use the d-pad and the right stick, or the left stick and the face buttons (ABXY) AS a d-pad if you wish. The old A/B fuctions will be mapped to the "bumper" shoulder buttons. There will be alternative control schemes though.

I mentioned this in the PD thread :D.

N64 pad on 360? - A Black Falcon - 15th February 2010

The same controls will not be the same on a gamepad so different, DJ... I think that's the point. And I agree with Lazy, the N64 controller is better for FPSes than the 360 one.

N64 pad on 360? - lazyfatbum - 16th February 2010

OMFG ABF! DONT AGREE WITH ME EVER AGAIN!

I HAVE GOOSEBUMPS

But yes, the 360 pad using the face buttons for movement is also counterproductive as they're quite larger than the c buttons that created the mirrored D-pad. On N64 I could rock my thumb from strafe to forward and then use the back of my thumb to tap backwards to stop my momentum, alternatively using the shoulder button to bring up my aiming reticule which also stops you with slight momentum. During all of this I can cycle weapons or quick-change and its all extremely fluid.

The only thing i'd love to see updated in terms of controls is a faster way to set your sims to attack/defend etc. Even using normalsims the ability to talk to them can make or break a match.

There has to be some way to use the N64 pad... hell, even the first mockup of the XBox used a N64 pad before it was changed in to the Dreamcast pad.