Tendo City
I was afraid of this. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: I was afraid of this. (/showthread.php?tid=5462)

I was afraid of this. - Geno - 8th December 2009

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/08/AR2009120804388.html?hpid=topnews

Senate tentatively agrees to remove public option Wrote:Senate may drop public option
PRIVATE-SECTOR ALTERNATIVE Reid says he is optimistic about bill after deal

By Shailagh Murray and Lori Montgomery
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Democratic Senate negotiators struck a tentative agreement Tuesday night to drop the controversial government-run insurance plan from their overhaul of the health-care system, hoping to remove a last major roadblock preventing the bill from moving to a final vote in the chamber.

Under the deal, the government plan preferred by liberals would be replaced with a program that would create several national insurance policies administered by private companies but negotiated by the Office of Personnel Management, which oversees health policies for federal workers. If private firms were unable to deliver acceptable national policies, a government plan would be created.

In addition, people as young as 55 would be permitted to buy into Medicare, the popular federal health program for retirees. And private insurance companies would face stringent new regulations, including a requirement that they spend at least 90 cents of every dollar they collect in premiums on medical services for their customers.

The announcement came after six days of negotiations among 10 Democrats -- five liberals and five moderates -- appointed by Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) to work out differences between the two camps on the public option and other pressing issues. Appearing in the Capitol with Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), the leader of the liberal faction, and Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), representing moderates, Reid hailed the deal as a broad agreement that has the potential to "overcome a real problem that we had" and push the measure to final Senate vote before Christmas.

"Not everyone is going to agree with every piece," Reid said. But when asked whether the deal means the end is in sight after nearly a year of work on President Obama's most important domestic initiative, he smiled. "The answer's yes," he said.

According to a Democrat briefed on the talks, the deal represents only an agreement among the 10 negotiators to send the new package to congressional budget analysts, not an agreement to support its elements. One of the negotiators, Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wis.), quickly issued a statement criticizing the deal.

"While I appreciate the willingness of all parties to engage in good-faith discussions, I do not support proposals that would replace the public option in the bill with a purely private approach," he said. He added, however, that he will base his vote "on the entirety of what is in the bill, and whether I think the bill is good for Wisconsin."

Democrats must also win the approval of several key lawmakers who have not been involved in the talks, including Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Olympia J. Snowe (Maine), the only Republican who has voted in favor of the Democratic health initiative. If the Senate approves the agreement, it will face a huge obstacle in the House, where Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has fought hard to preserve a public plan in the face of opposition from House moderates.

If the deal holds, it will represent a major breakthrough on one of the most contentious issues of the health-care debate, settling a dispute between moderates wary of excessive government intrusion into the private sector and liberals determined to create a strong competitor able to curb the most egregious abuses in the private insurance industry.

"It may be different from what was previously included in the bill," said Reid spokesman Jim Manley, "but it accomplishes the same goals as a so-called public option."

I was afraid of this. - Weltall - 8th December 2009

Quote:And private insurance companies would face stringent new regulations, including a requirement that they spend at least 90 cents of every dollar they collect in premiums on medical services for their customers.

This is actually not a bad idea.

There's no talk about how to control the base costs, though, and that's really the fundamental problem. The reason the industry is so precarious, and the reason why some people won't be covered, is because the cost of doing business is greatly inflated.

I'd actually almost support a public option if I had any confidence that it would break the hegemony instead of supplanting it.

I was afraid of this. - Geno - 8th December 2009

Not that it's below the government to screw the people over, but I would actually confide in the government sooner than I would an insurance company just because the insurance company has more to gain by screwing its clients over. The public option seems to work well in other countries (not that every country with universal healthcare is doing well, but France has the best healthcare system of all time, OF ALL TIME, lol Kanye). But as long as there's regulation (evil government regulation, HISSSSS, government r 2 big!) to prevent private insurance companies from taking advantage of people, then I guess it's okay... for now. 90% is pretty effing huge; can't knock that. I'm surprised the abortion amendment was kept in the healthcare bill; it didn't survive the House of Representatives' version of the bill.

I was afraid of this. - A Black Falcon - 8th December 2009

Weltall Wrote:This is actually not a bad idea.

There's no talk about how to control the base costs, though, and that's really the fundamental problem. The reason the industry is so precarious, and the reason why some people won't be covered, is because the cost of doing business is greatly inflated.

I'd actually almost support a public option if I had any confidence that it would break the hegemony instead of supplanting it.

If we don't have one, there's no chance of that at all really... but if we do, there is. Of course public healthcare isn't perfect, but it's far, far better than having Wall Street expectations decide who gets coverage and who doesn't...

I was afraid of this. - Weltall - 8th December 2009

Quote:Not that it's below the government to screw the people over, but I would actually confide in the government sooner than I would an insurance company just because the insurance company has more to gain by screwing its clients over.

I do not share your optimism on that particular subject.

I was afraid of this. - Dark Jaguar - 9th December 2009

I say wall street and the invisible hand of the market should be the basis for our fire departments. I mean honestly fire departments are run TERRIBLY and nothing, NOTHING, runs things better than markets. A public version of fire protection has made it literally illegal to get private protection, which is why I can't install sprinklers or smoke alarms. The market is god, it is all powerful and all knowing in all things and question it at your peril. I HAVE SPOKEN!

And I'll speak some more. Police departments need to be privatized! What can answer the public need more? Private security firms, or these public money waste projects we call the "long arm of the law"? Just look at every big business and you'll see they hired PRIVATE service instead of the public option! That should tell you what the market decided!

And hey, let's just look at what else the market decided. Every year billions are spent on so called "quack" medicine like magnet therapy, color therapy, homeopathy, and all sorts of bizarre diets like the chocolate diet. Yeah yeah, scientists say that all of these have no basis in reality, but again, the MARKET has spoken and declared with it's infinite wisdom that people value these things, and value is the same thing as quality!

I was afraid of this. - A Black Falcon - 9th December 2009

Sounds like a good idea to me DJ, health care has worked so well as a for-profit business that we definitely should move on to those others as well!

I mean, doesn't everyone want to bring back those days when fire companies were private businesses and only put out fires in houses that were paying them money? "We won't put out the fire in your house until you sign this contract first!" ... Yeah, great idea!

Oh, and if you're at risk for fire in some way, good luck getting any such insurance, nobody will sell you any...

I was afraid of this. - Weltall - 9th December 2009

I didn't realize that the federal government controlled fire and police.

I must have also been mistaken when I hear about underfunded, underequipped and corrupt police and fire departments that rely strongly on unpaid volunteers and private donations to remain in operation.

I was afraid of this. - Geno - 9th December 2009

So you're insinuating that we should privatize the fire and police departments? Don't let DJ's sarcasm give you serious ideas!

They're not perfect, certainly, but would paying for them really make them better? I should think not.

I was afraid of this. - Weltall - 10th December 2009

I think I'm suggesting more that the federal government, as often as not, can't effectively manage a Yahtzee scorecard.

But, perhaps,a state-level health care operation may not end up being the bloated, corruption-riddled monster that it already is, and that distant federal oversight could certainly make worse.

I was afraid of this. - Geno - 10th December 2009

I certainly wouldn't mind if the "public healthcare option" were regulated on a state level (that probably would be better as the federal government consists of people from different regions with different leanings and different interests for their own states and can therefore barely get squat done) as long as the federal government requires that every state have some sort of public option program, or at least a program for regulating private insurance companies. How the program is regulated would be up to the states, but no person should be left uninsured, regardless of income or pre-existing medical conditions. That's the main objective of this healthcare reform plan.