Tendo City
Nintendo sucks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo sucks (/showthread.php?tid=538)

Pages: 1 2

Nintendo sucks - OB1 - 17th April 2003

From CVG:

Quote:NINTENDO REVEALS GAMECUBE STRATEGY

Anti-online focus reconfirmed, bundling issues and more as NOA's George Harrison speaks

16:30 Nintendo of America senior vice president of marketing ("top brass," if you will) George Harrison has revealed some intriguing details regarding Nintendo's future strategy, in an interview with CNN.
One of the most promising revelations was that Nintendo is seriously looking at introducing a bundle later this year featuring GameCube and Game Boy Player. The add-on, of course, gives access to hundreds of handheld titles, dramatically increasing the range of software available to potential owners.

Furthermore, Harrison reaffirmed Nintendo's stance regarding online gaming, stating that he believed it was still "probably a few years away" as far as GameCube is concerned. Boo! But Harrison was keen to emphasise that this E3 would be a huge year for third-party development for the console, as opposed to in-house software, and it's widely expected that link-up software - both GBA/GC and GC via LAN - will form the backbone of Nintendo's E3 line-up.

In potentially more disturbing news, Harrison revealed that, in response to complaints over the difficulty of Mario Sunshine, "Shigeru Miyamoto agreed with criticism that the game was too hard. The word has since come from up high to make games less challenging," writes CNN. "We're trying to go back and make sure we don't let technology alienate players," said Harrison. "We want to make games that are accessible to everyone."

In other Nintendo news, the company has announced it is establishing a new R&D unit in Japan to "develop unique games for Nintendo's hardware platforms, adding to the depth and breadth of Nintendo's first-party game library.

More when we have it.

Johnny Minkley

ARGHH! What's with them???!!! Online is a must!

And because of stupid whining babies like Darunia (no offence, man) who complained about Mario Sunshine's difficulty, Nintendo wants to lower the difficulty in their games. WHY OH WHY??!!!!

Nintendo sucks - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2003

Because, as we have established, Nintendo is brilliant with game design but clueless when it comes to making its customer base happy... they sure don't want to make it easy to be a Nintendo fan...

Nintendo sucks - Darunia - 17th April 2003

Haha; that just goes to show you that I was right. The minority of arrogant OB1s out there are indeed just a minority. The game IS too hard...it's plain to see. Everyone thinks so, even Shiggy himself.

*Gorons cheer victory over their mortal enemie OB1*

Being in a majority has no connection to the amount of accuracy of your opinion.

Nintendo sucks - Sacred Jellybean - 17th April 2003

MARIO SUNSHINE IS NOT HARD. WIND WAKER IS TOO EASY. NINTENDO NEEDS TO MAKE THEIR GAMES HARDER, NOT EASIER.

:bang: Mad :woo: :( :bummed:

Well Shigeru Miyamoto, the Nintendo brass, and almost all the gaming public would have somethint different to say. Just because it's not too hard for you doesn't mean it isn't too hard in general. You're all obviously very skilled gamers; above par. You must make excpetions for the meek general public of gamers. If all games were aimed at you, Nintendo would sell 10 Cubes a year.

Miyamoto is just listening to the legions of really crappy gamers who can't even make their way up on top of Noki Bay. Games have gotten far to easy in recent years, and it's all because of people like you, Darunia.

Yes, as we all know that there are legions of 18 year old gamers who enjoy deep, emotional and strategic games like REmake more than SMS...oh wait a tick, no there aren't...I'm actually quite unique. Blaming this entire thing on me is fairly immature....not to mention that you didn't even bother contesting any of my great counter strokes.

Hahaha!

ROTFLMAO!

Oh man...

*cries from laughter*

Did you just call Resident Evil "deep, emotional, and strategic"???

[Image: lol.gif]

Yes, for some reason he did. :S

Hahahaha....

Oh brother.

I seriously wonder what RE games he is playing, to think that of them...

Nintendo sucks - Dark Jaguar - 17th April 2003

Games haven't gotten "all too easy" quite yet (this is a cry people have been shouting since the SNES/Genesis systems were first released). I mean Perfect Dark's challenge rivals many of the hardest NES games. I myself have been getting stuck often enough in Wind Waker whereas I flew through OOT. However, they haven't been getting "too hard" either. Somehow I wonder exactly how much this NOA employee actually knows about what's going on. NOA doesn't actually make the games anyway (except NST) so saying "make your games easier" could only apply to the translations being cheesed up. If that's the case, I will loose the respect I was slowly getting back for NOA, as they will have just gone straight back to the stupidity of the NES era were translations were terribly censored and made easier than Japanese counterparts. Then again, it might not be so bad as that. They MIGHT just be doing stuff like the owl statues in Majora's Mask gaining the ability to memo save.

There are only a handful of games nowadays that offer a real challenge for me. Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime are the most recent examples I can think of.

*Sits back, watches the World's Super Best Gamers give eachother blowjobs of envy; congratulate eachother on being the best people ever born.*

Yes I would dare call REmake deep, emotional, and strategic. Coming across Lisa, learnign the story, and then watching her commit suicide with a heard-wrenching scream makes me squirm in my seat. It strategic because you have to meticuously plan everything you so; ammunition especially.

Chuckle

There there, Darunia. It's going to be okay. You just keep on playing Resident Evil.

Nintendo sucks - big guy - 17th April 2003

who's lisa and when does she commit suicide? there was nothin like that when i played through chris' game...maybe it's in jills.

Lisa was the tragically deformed woman in shackles who hobbles around. She's an enemy and attacks you, but she was kidnapped as a toddler. Her parents were murdered by Umbrella, and they experimented on her. She commits suicide by jumping off of a ledge underground at her mother's tomb...I only played through as Jill, so I don't know what happens.

If that doesn't toy with your emotions at all, you're not not human.

Nintendo sucks - Private Hudson - 17th April 2003

Online is not a must. At least not this generation. Particularly because GCN will be so late introducing their plan it will have no effect on their sales.

Do you really want to take a look at what online gaming has brought to consoles so far? The first online console (well, I know that XBand existed long before it) was the Dreamcast, did online help it? No.. In fact, being an online console was one of the Dreamcast's big plans. The online launch was supposed to save it.

PS2 sales have not increased since going online, and neither has the XBox. Though, this could definately be put down to the fact that the N/A and XBL! Starter Kits aren't available to everyone yet. But if you take a look at recent survey's and reports (I could get you a link if you wish), it states that only 8% of all gamers even care about going online with their console this generation. Again, as far as XBox is concerned, XBox Live! was their big master plan. Once XBox went online with the best online plan, it would be unstoppable. Did it happen... not yet (and it wont).

So I ask again, how is online play important for this generation? At most it's a little bonus. It might help Madden GCN sell a couple of hundreds extra copies. Or whatever. I used to think that if Nintendo released an online Mario Kart, FZero X etc that it would make the GCN really take off. But as with most other games that promised to do that, I think it was extremely naive of me.

Again, if it came down to being the GCN's master plan to help reinstate them in 2nd place, you would all be greatly disappointed.

I'm not even sure if online will be the future of consoles at all. At least not to the extent that Sony and Microsoft believe. But even so, it shows that Nintendo will still be taking it into consideration, they did state it would be a few years away.

With all that said, I'm disappointed that I wont get to play Mario Kart GC against you guys. Well, there's always emulators. :)

Nintendo sucks - EdenMaster - 17th April 2003

She didn't commit suicide, you stooge! You had to pelt her malformed ass with lead and knock her off the cliff. She was trying to kill you, not herself.

I could care less if the GameCube ever sees online capabilities. Sure, some online Melee and Mario Kart would be great, but I certainly wouldn't ciriticize Nintendo if they never did it. In my opinion (and probably the only one here who thinks so), Nintendo is fine offline.

*prepares for flak*

Nope, Eden, I agree with that.

Though my opinion doesn't seem to mean squat around these parts, so take that as you will.

Thanks, Hudson.

I had posted that when Darunia was the last poster :D.

Nintendo sucks - Great Rumbler - 17th April 2003

Online games on the GC wouldn't affect me very much either, as I've said many times before 56k isn't very good for online games. And then there's the fees; "I just simply can't commit!"

You are very wrong about this, Hudson. Sony's network adapter has been selling like mad since it first came out, and the X-Box Live starter kit is also a huge seller. It is also very important for Nintendo to have an online plan because many people choose to buy a PS2 or X-Box over a Gamecube because they want to play online games.

Oh, the adapters have been selling well. But don't expect them to effect the sales of the console. I still haven't come across a non-console owner claiming he would buy the machine to play it online..

Given your exclaimation that online play on the GCN is "necessary", I felt the need to point out otherwise.

Quote:It is also very important for Nintendo to have an online plan because many people choose to buy a PS2 or X-Box over a Gamecube because they want to play online games.

Like whom?

And I'd bet you're hypothetical person would buy the XBox or PS2 over the GCN regardless.

People buy the GCN to play Nintendo's games.. online or not.

That whole 8% huh? That sure tips the scales.

Dammit Hudson, stop posting two seconds before I can :D

Quote: She didn't commit suicide, you stooge! You had to pelt her malformed ass with lead and knock her off the cliff. She was trying to kill you, not herself.

What ARE you talking about? You knock off the rocks which are anchored via chains to Lisa's mother's grave. The grave is exposed, Lisa moans 'Mooootthhheerr!', then leaps off the cliff...whether or not you ever put a bullet into her.

Maybe you describe Chris' story (?) but Jill's was very emotional and heart-wrenching.

You stooge.

Well, I never did it that way. Hit her with a few Magnum or shotgun rounds and she'll grab onto the ledge. Shoot her again and she falls. It's funner that way.

that's sick, EM. 'Sides, my way saves ammo...and it's more of an emotional rollercoaster. Makes the story better to boot, and thusly I was right all along (apology accepted for that stooge remark.)

So, I still mantain that REMake was a "deep, emotional, strategic" game.

You call it sick, I call it survival.

Apology accepted for your stooge remark.

But it's wasting ammo! That's not at all the better way to do it; I felt bad for her! She'd been through so much; imprisoned, deformed...her mother murdered...and you fucking shot her?

*Mutual acceptance of apology for stooge remark*

Yes, I shot her. When she was swinging her shackles at my head, I wasn't thinking about pushing rocks around.

Poor Lisa, he says. She sure didn't have any warm feelings for Lisa and Chris.

Quote:Poor Lisa, he says. She sure didn't have any warm feelings for Lisa and Chris.

*Reinstates EM Stooge remark*:D

Yes, I feel bad for her...and she'd only pose a threat hitting you if you stood around trying to shoot her. If you'd done what I'd done, running around and pushing off the four big rocks, you'd have save all your ammo and Barry.

Barry never died in any of my games. I've played through three times as Lisa and twice as Chris, and neither Barry nor Rebecca have ever died.

You do it your way, I'll do it mine, it all gets the job done the same way.

Unless, of course, you used the Grenade Launcher rounds cheat.

I don't know of that cheat, AND I certainly didn't know that you could play through the game AS LISA...yet you claim to have done it three times. How exactly is that, EM?

I meant Jill. I'm a stooge.

Theres a cheat involving item boxes which can give you 200 rounds of any type of grenade launcher rounds. I didn't use it for my first games with both characters. The game is incredibly fun the way it is, but it IS great to be able to blast through the mansion without having to worry about conserving ammo.

Whoa, that DOES sound cool though...

It is. Here's how you do it. You must have the grenade launcher and <b>two types of grenade ammo</b>

1) Put all items in Item box
2) Put Grenade Launcher in upper-left item slot
3) Put Incendiary Rounds in upper-right item slot
4) Close Item box
5) Open inventory
6) Equip the Grenade Launcher (this is important!)
7) Open the Item box again
8) Select Incendiary Rounds from inventory
9) Press A twice to select them and place them in the Item Box
10) Move cursor to Incendiary Rounds inside box
11) Press A twice to select them and place them in the Launcher

It may say somewhere around 700 when it works, but it should automatically reduce itself, otherwise it may crash. Have fun.

Nintendo sucks - big guy - 17th April 2003

oh yeah, ok...that was lisa...man, she scared the hell outta me so i shot her up until she fell. and barry wasn't even in my game, since i played through as chirs.

Oh man, Barry is so cool though.

Quote:Oh, the adapters have been selling well. But don't expect them to effect the sales of the console. I still haven't come across a non-console owner claiming he would buy the machine to play it online..

Given your exclaimation that online play on the GCN is "necessary", I felt the need to point out otherwise.

You may not have come across anyone like that, but the numbers don't lie. There still isn't an online killer-app for either console, yet the online adapters sell extremely well. You don't need a huge jump in actual hardware sales to show just how successful it is.

Quote:Like whom?

And I'd bet you're hypothetical person would buy the XBox or PS2 over the GCN regardless.

I have all three systems, Hudson. But if I had to choose one I would choose the Gamecube...

Quote:People buy the GCN to play Nintendo's games.. online or not.

"Hardcore" Nintendo fans will buy all things Nintendo but that's not good enough. Just look at the sales numbers for Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime to prove that point. Nintendo needs to reach out to the casual fan, and who on earth wouldn't buy a Gamecube just to play Mario Kart and Zelda online? If Sony's and MS's online adapters can sell extremely well without any AAA online games, just imagine how many Gamecube systems would fly off the shelves with some AAA online titles.

How would one play Zelda online...a two player co-op you mean?

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
You may not have come across anyone like that, but the numbers don't lie. There still isn't an online killer-app for either console, yet the online adapters sell extremely well. You don't need a huge jump in actual hardware sales to show just how successful it is.

What do you mean no killer apps?

Mech Assault/Unreal Championship/Ghost Recon/NFL2k3/Madden2003/SOCOM US Navy Seals/Everquest Online Adventures among many others. All quality games, and all extremely popular.

And besides that, we are referring to hardware sales. If it is "necessary" for Nintendo to go online with the GameCube, one would think you're referring to a jump in hardware sales. Which would not eventuate.

Quote:I have all three systems, Hudson. But if I had to choose one I would choose the Gamecube...

I wasn't referring to you..

Quote:"Hardcore" Nintendo fans will buy all things Nintendo but that's not good enough. Just look at the sales numbers for Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime to prove that point. Nintendo needs to reach out to the casual fan, and who on earth wouldn't buy a Gamecube just to play Mario Kart and Zelda online? If Sony's and MS's online adapters can sell extremely well without any AAA online games, just imagine how many Gamecube systems would fly off the shelves with some AAA online titles.

Like I said, they do have plenty of AAA (online) titles.

Also, Zelda online?

Quote:Nintendo needs to reach out to the casual fan, and who on earth wouldn't buy a Gamecube just to play Mario Kart and Zelda online?

I'd be willing to bet you'd be extremely surprised, in a negative way. But we won't find out, will we? :)

The casual fan would probably prefer to play SOCOM, or Mech Assault, or Halo 2.

And the amount of casual gamers buying the online adapters would be extremely low. So far, online consoles are mainly for the 'hardcore' group, I don't see that changing at any point in the near future.

OB1: He used the improper form of "your"... he meant, the hypothetical person that you brought up would probably buy X-Box or PS2 over GameCube in the first place.

Beanjo: He said "you're the hypothetical person...", not "your hypothetical person".

Quote:What do you mean no killer apps?

Mech Assault/Unreal Championship/Ghost Recon/NFL2k3/Madden2003/SOCOM US Navy Seals/Everquest Online Adventures among many others. All quality games, and all extremely popular.

None of the above are killer-apps. They do not have the name recognition or quality of games like Final Fantasy, MGS, or Zelda, for example. They sold well because of their online modes.

Quote:And besides that, we are referring to hardware sales. If it is "necessary" for Nintendo to go online with the GameCube, one would think you're referring to a jump in hardware sales. Which would not eventuate.

Nintendo is behind in hardware and software sales, and I was referring to both. If you do not think that the Gamecube would see a sizable increase in hardware sales if Nintendo released some AAA online-enabled games then you are out of touch with the gaming world.

Quote:Like I said, they do have plenty of AAA (online) titles.

Also, Zelda online?

None of those titles you listed are AAA-quality. Unreal is big in PC-land, not console land. These titles have enjoyed great success (except for Everquest which I've heard has sold relatively poorly) because of their online capablities. If they were offline-only then I am 100% positive that they wouldn't have sold half the number of copies.

And Zelda online would kick ass. Just imagine Four Swords in 3-D.

Quote:I'd be willing to bet you'd be extremely surprised, in a negative way. But we won't find out, will we?

The casual fan would probably prefer to play SOCOM, or Mech Assault, or Halo 2.

SOCOM and Mech Assault over Zelda and Mario Kart? You're more out of touch than I thought!

Quote:And the amount of casual gamers buying the online adapters would be extremely low. So far, online consoles are mainly for the 'hardcore' group, I don't see that changing at any point in the near future.

You've done absolutely no research on this, am I right? You simply pulled this information out of your ass. The online adapters for both systems have been selling at a very rapid pace since their release, and X-Box sales in Japan skyrocketed after the launch of X-Box Live. The X-Box even sold more units than the Cube in Japan for a week or so. The PS2 couldn't have sold more units than its current pace, but in the U.S. X-Box sales have increased since the introduction of X-Box Live.

Uh, Hudson, you make no sense.

First, online games make a direct impact on sales. When you add an online network sales increase. It is a fact... remember how after X-Box Live came out sales immediately increased, even in Japan? I know we had threads about that here... and that ignores the massive impact that online games have had on the PC over the last 5 or so years...

Second, online games have a huge impact on future potential game sales. People will choose online versions of a game over non online versions if they have the choice. I'll bet X-Box versions of Capcom vs SNK 2 and Star Wars: Clone Wars sold best... well maybe not more than the PS2 because of the massively larger userbase, but proportionally best... and certainly better than the Cube... since they have Live in them. And the other versions don't.

Third, it helps their public image significantly. It greatly hurts Nintendo to have a huge segment of gamers saying that because they lack online multiplay Nintendo is greatly deficient. That hurts Nintendo's image along with things like how their stuff is "kiddy" styled and how their advertising is abysmal.

Trying to say that because X-Box has games on Live Nintendo's wouldn't be that popular is stupid. As he said, who WOULDN'T want to play Mario Kart Online???

There would be a clear and immediate jump in sales and more potential future sales as other gamers buy the online versions of GC games instead of going to the PS2 or X-Box for those games.

How Nintendo, and people like you, can't see this is bizarre and extremely stupid. As I've said before, the only people who could say that online gaming isn't a brilliant idea and Nintendo shouldn't do it are people who don't have much online gaming experience and don't understand the attraction...

"And I'd bet <b>you're hypothetical</b> person would buy the XBox or PS2 over the GCN regardless."

is that a jellybean?

Nope, isn't it clearly a dancing rasin?