Tendo City
Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Mario Kart LAN, not WAN (/showthread.php?tid=537)

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - OB1 - 17th April 2003

From CVG:

Quote:MARIO KART PASSES FINISH LINE?

You want eight players? Yes you do, you know you do...

15:38 According to various reports and sources, Mario Kart GC is complete. So where is it? We're just waiting for the chequered flag to drop for us all to drool at the speeding Cooper's, Kong's and Princess Daisy's; we can't wait!
Mario Kart GC is being kept under wraps until the E3 games show in May where Nintendo is said to unveil it. And not before time: Mario Kart GC is easily one of the most eagerly anticipated games for the 'Cube.

Mario Kart GC, as we previously stated from our Shigeru Miyamoto interview, will not feature online play - which is a shameful travesty - but it will have the expected four-player split-screen race and battle modes.

However, according to reports, just add another GameCube and copy of Mario Kart GC, and you'll be able to link the two together for 8-player Mario Kart shenanigans. This system works in a similar style to the PlayStation 2 I-Link, but you'll also need two TVs as well. The 8-Player works via two four-player split-screens...

Why Nintendo canned the Internet link is still a mystery to us - look, it still drives us potty wondering why - but we're excited by the prospect of LAN play, expected to be revealed at E3. Afterall, the GameCube has a carry handle so people can bring their own, then link them together. Then you could have loads of Mario Kart fanatics taking each other on with their own personal full-screen TV rather than splitting into four.

The game is said to be finished, but until we can substantiate this, take it with a pinch of salt. However, the game is still expected to release in Japan later this year, so show us the green light Nintendo, we're having withdrawal symptoms!

Nick Walkland

It's finished already??? So when is it gonna come out??!!

But the lack of online play is a huge bummer. Stupid fucking Nintendo.

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2003

Gamespy? Will that work with this?

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - Dark Jaguar - 17th April 2003

It certainly will work with this. What I'm dissappointed to here is that it's only a 2 player link. Using a hub or router setup, they should easily be able to set up a 4 player thing. Of course, I'm most dissappointed it's not nativly online, but the gamespy pseudo support that will hit it soon enough will do, I guess...

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2003

If its just a 2 system link it might be limited to 1v1 though... :(

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - WhiteFleck - 17th April 2003

Maybe it'll be shown at E3 and released within a month? If it created a lot of hype right then, it could capitalize early. Just think, everyone will be there. Huge marketing for practically nothing. It makes sense.

Yeah, they could pull another DKR. It would sell like mad if it came out of nowhere. How cool would that be?

Mario Kart LAN, not WAN - CartoonDevil - 17th April 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Yeah, they could pull another DKR. It would sell like mad if it came out of nowhere. How cool would that be?

That would be REALLY cool, but do you really think Nintendo has the good sense to release Mario Kart so soon after E3? I don't.

Well if Mario Kart really is finished and Nintendo has enough big titles for the holiday season then yeah, there's a possibility.

But don't get your hopes up.