Tendo City
Google Chrome - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Google Chrome (/showthread.php?tid=5310)

Google Chrome - Weltall - 28th June 2009

I think it's safe to say that my five-year long love affair with Firefox has come to an end.

I love everything about it so far. It loads pages insanely fast, which is great. But, right now, I have a computer that is limited in memory (256MB), and while I liked Firefox, it was a furious memory hog and slowed my computer down to zero if I loaded anything more strenuous than a youtube video. Even when running a single open tab on a normal website, it would regularly consume anywhere from 80 to 150 megs of RAM and sometimes in excess of 300MB of paging file, which obviously is going to deep-six a computer like mine.

My current Google Chrome browser has two tabs open, the other running a YouTube video of Ray Kurzweil, and it's consuming a total of 60MB of paging file. It isn't slowing me down one iota. It's sleek, it's functional, it looks really nice and performs like a champ.

See you later, Firefox.

Google Chrome - alien space marine - 29th June 2009

Firefox got MS off its lazy ass, We got explorer-8 thanks to competition from the open source community.

Google Chrome - DMiller - 29th June 2009

I love how fast Chrome is, but I live on Firefox extensions so I'm not switching just yet.

Google Chrome - Geno - 29th June 2009

I'll probably download Google Chrome and make it one of my alternating browsers. Right now, I primarily use Opera (it has a better password saver than Firefox, which is the only reason I prefer it), but I also use Firefox a lot since Opera crashes more frequently (though not as much since the last upgrade).

Netscape is on here as a last resort browser. Opening Internet Explorer is like opening Pandora's Box of adware. Seriously, I used to get Internet Explorer ads randomly even when IE wasn't open. I'd have to Ctrl + Alt + Del them to death. Spybot finally killed them though as they haven't appeared in years.

So yeah, I have four browsers on here, but I only use two regularly and I avoid one of them like rape. If I could uninstall IE, I will. There are ways to do it, but they're a bit complicated.

Google Chrome - etoven - 29th June 2009

You may recall I Bata Tested Google Chrome awhile back.
See Previous Post

Unfortunately Ive only had experience with the beta.
I may have to give it a try again.

Google Chrome - Sacred Jellybean - 29th June 2009

I'm running Opera - I like the mouse gestures, and it's light-weight enough to not completely gimp my computer's performance. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes I have to manually end its thread(s) by visiting the Task Manager, and okay, I have to open IE7 to play Netflix movies, but other than that, it's been pretty good to me.

The only thing that annoyed the piss out of me is that I don't have control over everything the mouse does. I was trying to disable how it switches pages (either when you hold down the left button and press the right, or when you hold down either and move the scroll wheel, I can't remember) and it wasn't cooperating.

I do like, however, the fact that it can preserve my long, pointless rants in a text box if I accidentally hit "Back" or submit the post only to be brought to an error page. It's also very handy to be able to hit Ctrl-Z when you want to re-open a webpage you either accidentally closed or decided that you'll need it really quick again after all.

Oh, I also like being able to hit Alt+right-arrow to go forward a page in a thread. It's pretty neat for message board junkies like me.

Google Chrome - Geno - 29th June 2009

Opera saving content you typed in a text box is a major plus. I forgot about that one. That was something else about Firefox that pissed me off from time to time. I also like the password saving wand. It saves passwords that other browsers don't really seem to detect.

Google Chrome - Sacred Jellybean - 29th June 2009

I don't use the password saving wand (though it would probably be helpful), but your post reminded me of another thing I love: you can add a new search option to the search box tool bar out of virtually any search box you find on a webpage. Come to think of it, I suppose it isn't so surprising: programming the browser to replicate something like that doesn't seem very difficult.

With Firefox, I had to go to a special webpage to do that. Hopefully they've caught up by now.

IE7 is okay, it gets the job done. I really only use it at work, because I was having some problems doing my work (which is largely web-based, though I don't do much programming with web interfaces, if that makes sense. I use more VB .NET than Javascript or ASP, if that helps illustrate) in Firefox. It seems like a poor man's [any popular browser] and that it's doing nothing more than playing catch-up with browsers that already offer the same functionality, like tabs, mouse gestures, etc.

Google Chrome - etoven - 30th June 2009

If only Google chrome or Firefox had Microsoft sharepoint support, I'd never have to open IE ever again.

I could kiss Internet explorer's virus spreading, resource hogging, standard ignoring, malware loving ass forever!

But since, know body has tried to make a browser besides Microsoft that does all the awesome soup that is sharepoint, I guess that crappy icon will have to stay on my desktop......

For now...

Google Chrome - Geno - 1st July 2009

I hate that ugly blue e! Mad

[Image: fierfox_eating_ie_post.jpg]