Tendo City
Oh shit we're lemurs - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Oh shit we're lemurs (/showthread.php?tid=5266)

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 20th May 2009

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.clipser.com/Play?vid=410234"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.clipser.com/Play?vid=410234" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oh shit we're lemurs - Sacred Jellybean - 20th May 2009

No.

Are those movies any good?

Oh shit we're lemurs - A Black Falcon - 20th May 2009

Going by that trailer likely not, but I haven't seen it (or the first one) myself... saw that trailer in the theaters, yeah, it's pretty bad.

On a related note though, Up sounds great. Of course, all of Pixar's movies are exceptional...

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 20th May 2009

wow....... no, just..... way to keep up with the rest of the world, people.

We're lemurs.

WE

ARE

LEMURS

Oh shit we're lemurs - Sacred Jellybean - 20th May 2009

A Black Falcon Wrote:Going by that trailer likely not, but I haven't seen it (or the first one) myself... saw that trailer in the theaters, yeah, it's pretty bad.

On a related note though, Up sounds great. Of course, all of Pixar's movies are exceptional...

On the topic of 3D animated movies, I saw a teaser for Ice Age III in the theatres recently and groaned. It actually made me laugh, though. I haven't seen the others and probably won't see this one, but I'm at least more open to the idea now.

Yeah, I'm excited for Up as well. I thought Wall-E was fantastic.

Oh shit we're lemurs - A Black Falcon - 20th May 2009

Yeah, Wall-E was maybe their best movie ever... it was really, really good. I'm not expecting quite that much from this one, but it does sound interesting, unique, and almost certainly quite good. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Oh shit we're lemurs - Geno - 21st May 2009

I've never seen any of the Madagascar movies and their trailers (especially that annoying "I Like to Move It, Move It" song) do nothing but turn me away.

But yes, Pixar movies are great. I'm not a big fan of most CGI movies recently, but Pixar is still awesome. I'll probably go see Up when it comes out as Wall-E was great. I only recently saw Ratatouille for the first time on DVD and it was good too. I didn't care as much for Cars, but it wasn't bad. The only Pixar movie I haven't seen all the way through is A Bug's Life, so maybe I should rent it sometime. Pixar's never made a bad movie, that's for sure.

Another recent CGI movie that I found surprisingly good was Bolt, which I saw with my girlfriend this last November. It was a Disney film, though not a Pixar one. Nevertheless, it was good.

I doubt I'll ever watch the Ice Age movies. I've seen all three Shrek movies and the first one is the only one I care that much for. The second one is at least watchable though, good enough that I own the DVD. I saw the third one in the theatre and... yeah, it sucked. Bad. They weren't even trying. The jokes weren't even clever anymore. They were just dumb, predictable gags. I've pretty much avoided DreamWorks since then, with one exception: Kung Fu Panda. It was decent, I suppose. It was fun to watch, anyway, just not particularly hilarious. It felt like more of an action movie than a comedy.

Oh shit we're lemurs - alien space marine - 21st May 2009

Missing link

Adapiformes ----> Lemurs ---> Monkeys ---> Apes ---- Hominids ----> Homosapiens and Neanderthals.

[Image: hanuman13.jpg]

Its official God is a monkey!!! Hinduism is true

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 22nd May 2009

Thank you ASM.

So, like I said. WE'RE FREAKIN LEMURS, NO WONDER I LOVE JUMPING SIDEWAYS DOWN LONG HALLWAYS.

It's so awesome that our generation is the one that discovered the 'missing link'. Now lets cure cancer and AIDS, get on Mars and unfreeze Walt Disney and make him strangle Michael Eisner to DEATH.

Oh my roffling Christ, they pulled the news.

This is getting scary, the news wont report on the missing link because it scares the shit out of religious zealots. Is it just me, or does the idea of finding pieces of our genetic heritage a testament to God's incredible design? Why does this have to be viewed as such a negative?? There's a big ass special gonna be up on discovery or history channel, dunno date. But it's going to go in to more detail on the findings.

It was actually discovered in 83, but they spent years scrutinizing their findings. This should be celebrated... not shunned.

Oh shit we're lemurs - Geno - 22nd May 2009

I don't see why the religious right can't just accept evolution as a God-driven process as they have so many other scientific findings over the centuries that the church previously disagreed with: that the world is round, that the Earth revolves around the Sun, that we aren't at the center of the Universe (if such a thing exists), etc. Science has never tried to be an enemy to our souls, yet scientists get shunned just for making discoveries and stating facts. It's not hard to compromise God and science, though I suppose there will always be those who take everything in the Bible literally, in this case, the story of creation in Genesis. But hey, who's to say Adam and Eve weren't short and hairy and had bad posture? I bet that forbidden fruit was a banana!

Oh shit we're lemurs - alien space marine - 22nd May 2009

Geno Wrote:I don't see why the religious right can't just accept evolution as a God-driven process as they have so many other scientific findings over the centuries that the church previously disagreed with: that the world is round, that the Earth revolves around the Sun, that we aren't at the center of the Universe (if such a thing exists), etc. Science has never tried to be an enemy to our souls, yet scientists get shunned just for making discoveries and stating facts. It's not hard to compromise God and science, though I suppose there will always be those who take everything in the Bible literally, in this case, the story of creation in Genesis. But hey, who's to say Adam and Eve weren't short and hairy and had bad posture? I bet that forbidden fruit was a banana!

I was raised in a christian fundamentalist household, My parents forced me to opt out of biology class during my schooling and had me read creationist literature.

A christian household is by definition a completely insulated and self deluded coo coos nest.

It was not until I started to research and read up on my own religion that I came to the same conclusion many before me have made, That it was a big fucking scam!!

There is nothing more heartbreaking and distressing then discovering that you centered your entire life around a lie.

that's why so many Christians don't have the courage to be honest with themselves and face reality, they have to much invested in it especially if they've limited their association to strictly church members which is the case with the Jehovah's witneses.

There was many times even as a kid I would stumble onto passages in the bible that were disturbing and abhorrent, Unfortunately the first person I turned too about it was skilled in the art of white washing the bible and making a career in instructing sheeple into how to perform the art of mental gymnastics , My minister.

Fortunately My parents are tolerant of my new found heathenism to my relief.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m3mGwrwA1E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m3mGwrwA1E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, I wouldn't say it's a lie. There's history there that's a very real entity, shared by multiple cultures thousands of miles a part all with similar offerings. Everyone seems to agree that a Jew was raised to be a Pharaoh who singlehandedly freed the Jewish slaves of Egypt. Everything else is up for debate, for example modern religion swears there's ten commandments but with closer examination there's actually around 500 to 700. All written by God, all dictated to Moses, all equally as important and all but forgotten by the very people who need and use them.

Christianity as the end-all be-all of answers isn't very wise, that would be like saying a single chapter from an encyclopedia has all the answers you need and then that single chapter is chopped up and rearranged by every culture that comes in to contact with it so finding out anything definitively is like trying to get a straight answer from a used car salesmen. But it is definitely a large section of our history as human beings. It's just cutting through the BS that costs so much energy, so we end up with two extremes on each end.

My opinion is based on an idea too, and that idea is based on scientific fact.

You can spit in a cup and in 3 weeks mushrooms will grow. I could take a dump on the surface of a planet with an oxygen atmosphere and start the process of life that could eventually reach multi-cell organisms and intelligent animals... from my poo. Every living thing is actually a series of parts that get progressively smaller to the point of infinite innerspace and to the point of infinite outerspace. It's my opinion that our world is a living, breathing planet and that the unknown universe is the body of that cell. The universe by design attempts to create and breath life in to anything. Forming base materials out of known and unknown materials and cultivating life like a giant farm to produce among at least one known offering, living planets capable of forming complex forms of life. But I use that term with a grain of salt, because we have no idea if we're actually complex compared to what else is possible out there (Well, we know salt is out there, at least). Whether its life on another planet, or the proposed theories of darkmatter that bind the universe with its inverted principals that go against everything we ever tried to understand or an idea that a combo of gases could form sentient mass there is simply no denying the idea that this universe wants to build life in any and every form.

To me that really means something. I dont know what that something is, but I dont disregard it. On the subject of evolution at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. It's like revisiting past relationships and yeah, it's actually kind of depressing as much as it is fascinating that we were lemurs. But to disregard it is just ignorant. It's information we can use to find out more answers and raise new questions that will ultimately bring us closer to understanding our own existence and the life around us.

Oh shit we're lemurs - alien space marine - 22nd May 2009

I consider myself a light deist, No one religion has a monopoly on truth!

Don't let anybody define reality for you without rigorous proof.

That's why it's important not to take the passages of the Bible, or any other religious text, too literally or to force religion on other people because it's ignorant to believe that any one set of beliefs has the be-all, end-all answers to everything there is to know. It's not necessary to shun religion either as it's only natural for humans to want to know the answers and religion provides people with some closure, even if it's often quick and easy answers to difficult questions. Science is a slower, more patient process of trying to find answers to those questions, and I guess religion is, in some ways, more preferable because it's comforting to think that there's order to the universe, that your soul will live on past your body's death, and that if you were a good person in life, great things await you in the afterlife. I guess I've always been of the belief that optimism and knowledge could be synchronized, that we can accept what science discovers, and at the same time, believe that there is divine justice and that death is not the end of our existence. Spiritual faith is obviously not necessary, but there is nothing wrong with it as long as it's not used as an excuse for ignorance or bigotry. On the other hand, science cannot be easily discarded. It won't go away just because you refuse to believe it's true. You might as well just accept it.

Oh shit we're lemurs - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd May 2009

Quote:It's so awesome that our generation is the one that discovered the 'missing link'.

Well, the thing about it is, many scientists aren't interested in any missing link. They view fossil discoveries as just steps in a path that they already believe occurred. Every gap in the fossil record is technically a missing link. More definitive proof of whether humans, monkeys, and apes evolved from tarsiidae or adapidae group ancestry seems to be more interest to them. This find provides evidence more towards the adapidae side of the debate but from what the wall street journal says, it still isn't a concrete conclusion.

Still awesome, and I found this, which I never read about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/science/05cnd-fossil.html?ex=1301889600&en=43e5c9ecb1dd0cd6&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

lazyfatbum Wrote:Whether its life on another planet, or the proposed theories of darkmatter that bind the universe with its inverted principals that go against everything we ever tried to understand or an idea that a combo of gases could form sentient mass there is simply no denying the idea that this universe wants to build life in any and every form.

Excellent post, though thinking of the universe as wanting to create life is ascribing a human trait to something in nature, which is something to consider. In a way, this act is what makes religion flourish, the desire to acknowledge an entity much more powerful than ourselves as having human principles or values, consciousness, and being our creator.

What I can't stand is that people seem to think that evolution and God cannot co-exist. I'm an athiest, but even I have the imagination to ask why couldn't you consider that God used evolution as a tool or a means to create humans? What if we're the end-result of his creation to make a creature in his image? Since he's already considered to exist outside time, is it so far-fetched? It stamps on the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians who believe the world is only 6000 years old, I suppose, but fuck'em, aren't they a small enough minority to blow off? Hell, even they could try to be ignorant and argue that carbon-dating is flawed and that evolution was just a process that was both gradual and quick? If they're already ignoring or filtering science, why not?

Somewhere around 99.995% of scientists already believe in evolution, I can't wrap my head around the absurdity of wanting to acknowledge religion or creationism in a scientific setting. A minority of people believe in horoscopes, should we present that kind of belief in a scientific setting and let the people decide for themselves? It's so childish. But I'm on a rant.

If you type "about:", it puts an underscore in there. Weird glitch.

I never could understand why more people can't just believe in both God and evolution simultaneously. I get irritated whenever I see an anti-Darwin bumper sticker or one of those "truth" fish eating a Darwin fish magnets on people's cars. They're embracing ignorance and closed-mindedness. Darwin is not challenging my spiritual beliefs nor anyone else's. The man just made some observations and wrote them down, yet he's made out to be the enemy of Christianity. He's the new Galileo/Copernicus, I guess.

Would we tolerate the viewpoint that the theory of relativity and some religion(s) were not compatible in any serious debate or discussion?

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2009

haha, but they would... a lot ;D

Good points all around. On the subject of the zodiac it's actually often studied for its bizarre relations. In ancient Chinese culture (where astrology was invented) it was recorded over hundreds of years that people born in X seasons had X traits and that no matter the family if the child was born within certain months it could be instantly categorized on a broad scale. Namely the scale was whether or not this person will be a soldier or an artist. We know that the gravity of the sun and the moon effect our oceans, lightly pulling and pushing on our planet. Is it so ridiculous to believe that infants floating in embryonic fluid and forming their first connections in the brain could be influenced by that alteration of gravity and minute changes in radioactive energy? I think there's something to be said about the zodiac and it would be great to have someone much smarter than me boil it all down to its physical mechanics.

Thanks for link, reading article now

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2009

Nice, and they even throw in the 'Fuck God' quip.

I'd love to see a well dissected view in to evolution from the first proto's to man. Since we were all proteins and single celled organisms, we were also fish and lumbering 'mammal lizards' (before dinosaurs) before the first mammals hit and basically took over after the dinos. I wonder how deep our gene pool really goes... I know we have gills at one point during our time in the womb and that our first layer of the brain are identical to that of fish but is there evidence that supports active DNA in our traits?

Oh shit we're lemurs - Sacred Jellybean - 24th May 2009

Fuck, I was typing up a response earlier and my keyboard cut out. Once I determined that the letters were not just delayed from coming up on screen because of poor performance (the virus scanner was running which always kills it, man this piece of shit is old), I started grumbling about needing to run out to Best Buy on my "2nd saturday" of the three-day weekend, and then I found out it got unplugged somehow. That happens to me all the time at work because I need to stretch out my long sexy legs, but my set-up is pretty accomodating at home.

Anyway:

Don't forget that there's a difference between astrology and horoscopes. ;) Horoscopes are for the type of people who would buy lottery tickets or call psychic hotlines. I think there could possibly be some legitimacy in astrology, namely in the seasonal context. I think we had this conversation before over MSN, but there are three factors that I think give credence to astrology:

1) Evidence shows that seasons/times spent in daylight and night have an affect on people's moods.

2) A huge amount of human psychological development occurs in the first 6 or so years of a person's life, which dictates a lot how that person will be through adolescence and adulthood. Of course, other internal (physiological)/external influences take place and are much heavier, but still, couldn't some influence from an seasonal perspective occur?

3) Since people are born all throughout the year, a person's natural life cycles occur during different seasons (such as birthdays occuring at different times).

If there's documented scientific evidence of an alteration of people's moods based on minute changes in gravity and radioactive energy, I'm on board with that, too. Do you have any links to pages talking about the Chinese study that you mentioned?

I like these images:

Oh shit we're lemurs - Geno - 24th May 2009

^I lol'd.

If you think that global warming and smoking's link to cancer are junk sciences, but creationism should be taught in schools, you might be a Republican.

I wish that were a bumper sticker.

BTW, Ben Stein is a tool (with regards to his movie Expelled).

And although I think that the man is intelligent (though I disagree with his politics), I think Dennis Miller looks like a ree-ree at certain angles. I don't think it's just because I disagree with him, it's just with certain facial expressions he looks like he could be holding up a juice box and giving a vacuous grin to Sponge Bob.

Oh shit we're lemurs - alien space marine - 24th May 2009

Was Ben Stein paid off into doing expelled or is he a genuine creationist? He never seemed like the type to be a religious wing nut.

Genuine creationist, I believe. I wonder what the percentage is of Jews who are creationist.

He makes creationism and creationists out to be victims, persecuted by evil Athiests who are out to silence them and their beliefs and are probably not unlike Lord Sith in general. IIRC, he even compares them to Nazis. Very original there, Benny-boy. Except this strawman you've constructed is weak and in shambles, because I don't know of any famous athiest that said that creationists aren't allow to hold their beliefs. Evolutionists want to explain the origin of man with logic and observation, you want to explain it with something else. If you can't accept the currently held scientific viewpoint that we shared a commen ancestor with apes, maybe you can just skip class that week or something and stand up for your beliefs by answering what you feel to be the truth on tests and take those red X's like adults instead of squalling children. Creationism. is. not. a. science.

Oh shit we're lemurs - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2009

Teach both theories? That's a great comic... and indeed, if we teach creationism, why not? :)

Oh shit we're lemurs - Geno - 24th May 2009

We have to teach other religions' creation stories as well! I demand a course on Pastafarianism!

[Image: flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 25th May 2009

God damn that's a tiny dick. I know it's one of our greatest artistic achievements (the original painting) but Adam there is depicted exactly the same and my fucking god. Did he just never hit puberty? No hair and a penis the size of a bunny's nose. It actually hurts to look at.

Sorry about your pooter woes bean. As far as links start with wiki's astrology page, you should find some good links to Chinese history on the matter in the citing. The developmental age range is actually 0 to 8 with 8 being the average, though i'm sure it's quickening. That is to say, the physical connections that neurons are making where every one neuron connects to about 10 thousand and so on but in a particular order that creates our switchboard. The best way I could possibly explain it is to imagine the old fashioned hole punched cards that were used as a computer language.

Imagine your brain at birth is a card with several color coded sections and some holes here and there in the card. It is possible to have billions and billions of holes uniformly on the card. The holes are punched based on whatever you're exposed to and work in a very simple (by nature) true or false ideal. What I find amazing is that animals have been recorded to have fear around fire by instinct, but a human infant has no such fear and will gladly try to touch the flame. So flame is touched, pain happens and the appropriate holes are punched. The outcome eventually is a myriad of contradictions and confusing behavior and knowledge that makes up what an individual actually is, so each card is virtually unique.

With DNA as a limiter and the possibility of gravity, electromagnetic and solar energies, other forces of nature impacting the production and physical development you could theorize that those cards are marked by an astrology sign that dictates some of those color coded areas to allow for more or less holes than other people's. Meaning one person can expand in an area where another simply cant.

That sign, in theory, can help dictate certain paths your mind will take as when planets, satellites and stars (the same that dictated your alignment) change their arrangements in the universe and so causes an effect on every living thing - but that effect can be different depending on the alignment. On your card on the same date, it may effect how you'll be dealing with things of an artistic nature, on my card it will dictate the strength or weakness of will. Some theories even suggest that in nature animals sense the best time to breed to produce stronger offspring, therefore giving the best mating season possible to produce a like-minded legacy. The simpler the animal, the more susceptible it is to the earth's changes in energies that are bouncing off it. I dont wanna get in to the whole effects of weather, brain pressure, barometric pressure, effects of warmth or cold and then diet that all play huge roles during the gestation but jesus, how do you play all the variables? It pisses me off.

Horoscopes at the grocery store are usually bs, but there is an actual science to it beyond the fortune cookie offerings.

Oh shit we're lemurs - lazyfatbum - 25th May 2009

....wait a minute wasn't phrenology the study of skull shape or something idiotic to determine types of personality or mental issues? That was the whole 4 humors era of LOL-worthy moments in history. "He threw up yellow krap, that means he misses his mom." I mean ....just for the love of God you cant pretend that's a science. God ....we're gonna look that dumb in 1000 years.... how depressing.

Oh shit we're lemurs - alien space marine - 28th May 2009

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERW4TGehKRo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERW4TGehKRo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kitty with Wings!

HelloKittocopter

Oh shit we're lemurs - Geno - 29th May 2009

Man, my dad, an avid bird-lover, would hate it if cats evolved the ability to fly.

Oh shit we're lemurs - Dark Jaguar - 30th May 2009

What proper controls did the chinese do back then to weed out confirmation bias? Further, how am I supposed to know any of that record keeping was even accurate to begin with?

Those are the things you need to resolve before astrology would have any bearing on me.

But there's more than that, astrology as a concept is inherantly inconsistant with itself, and it never CAN be expressed in a consistant manner without becoming utterly meaningless.

Is it size, mass, or distance which has the greatest effect? Let's say there's a previously undetected energy field that planetary bodies emit. If it's anything like light, it vanishes at a rate that's an inverse square of the distance. That would mean distance would be most important, in which case the moon, by far the closest, should be having so much effect it washes out the effect of everything else in our system. Let's say it's mass, then the sun washes out everything else to the point where it has no effect. What I'm saying is, in what manner does astrolo-energy act such that all the planets moon and sun have an equal effect?

The fact is, if you think the gravity of those bodies has an effect, you're wrong. They are too far away to be detectable at all, even with the largest interferometers we have we can't detect the faintest gravity effects of our own solar system, save for the moon and the sun. The rest are so distant their effects are insignificant. What reason do you have to think they would affect our development? The moon would be about the only body that COULD, even in principle, have such an effect. Now we are caught in the gravitational orbit of the galaxy at large, but remember that an object in free fall, and orbit is basically that, is indistinguishable from an object in zero gravity, so long as tidal forces are minimal. At our distance, the difference between gravitational pull on one side of the earth and the other created by the mutual pull of our galaxy is vanishingly small. It's not like we're falling into a black hole, where the fall itself literally does kill you as the pull on one half of your body is several thousand times stronger than the part further from the singularity. We're way out in a galactic arm, so far from that galactic black hole that we don't even feel it.

Here's another thing. If such an effect worked evenly as such, then shouldn't EVERY body in the sky have this same effect? If that's the case, then we should be awash in so much of this strange energy that prediction would be utterly impossible, such that the vast majority of heavenly bodies remain unnamed, much less accounted for in modern astrological charts. What makes the configuration of stars we arbitrarily designate as Orion more important than the configuration only detectable by hubble which has no name? Further, the entire concept was formed way back when we thought that the heavens were a series of glass domes. The entire foundation of what the cosmos is has been completely changed. Orion is now known to be an illusion, and still astrology hasn't changed one iota. We know now that the various "houses" in the sky have slipped by about a month since people first invented the system, but they haven't bothered updating it to account for that.

Here's the kicker. The most they do is add new planets to the system as astronomy discovers them. But, does that really make any sense at all? Has an astronomer ever once said, let's say before Uranus was discovered "our readings are slightly off, as if there's a planet we haven't discovered having extra influence, I predict the discovery of a new planet soon". I thought not, yet that's exactly what happened, with gravitational influence before it was discovered by astronomers. Astrologers, ironically enough, have never predicted the discovery of a new planet. Further, not once, after they incorporate a new one, have they ever said that previous predictions were all wrong. They add an entire new planet, claim it will make them more accurate, but at the same time throughout the years they always claim 100% accuracy. Nothing changes no matter how much it does for them. They are frozen in irrelevancy.

Study after study, actual CONTROLLED studies, not random books written by chinese astrologers with no signs of proper scientific controls, show no connection between the stars and one's behavior. Heck, you can get someone to write an astrology projection for one person, print out copies for an entire room, and that whole room will say it's an accurate description of them at a personal level.

lazy you should know better than to get caught up in such nonsense. It's not just unproven, it's inherantly nonsensical that it ever COULD be a way that the universe works.