Tendo City
The UN did a dumb thing... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The UN did a dumb thing... (/showthread.php?tid=5071)

The UN did a dumb thing... - Dark Jaguar - 27th November 2008

Seems they passed a resolution to condemn criticism of other's beliefs.

I think that concept is stupid... It wouldn't be much of a stretch for leaders of a country to declare the entirety of their laws as part of a system of beliefs and arrest anyone criticizing them. Heck it's dumb to make all religions immune from criticism even without that slippery slope scenario. Scientology has about as much to do with science as objectivism has to do with objectivity. Wow, I got a twofer there.

It's fortunate that UN resolutions have no real method of enforcement save me, personally, being sanctioned. It's unfortunate that I've actually supported the UN until now on most things. Who's idiot idea was this anyway? Banning any kind of speech is bad, though I must note that freedom of speech is unique among American liberties in that it's one of those things that is NOT quickly adopted by burgeoning democracies in the world today.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=9b8e3a6d-795d-440f-a5de-6ff6e78c78d5

Yes I got this from Canadian news, but in spite of their country's leaders in the past being new age health nuts and being convinced that the US has secret UFOs, I think this is reliable.

The UN did a dumb thing... - TheBiggah - 27th November 2008

Most things the UN does are stupid, why should this be any different? ...except maybe for being exceptionally stupid.

The UN did a dumb thing... - alien space marine - 27th November 2008

One clear message from this,Violence pays off.

That's what I see from this , You want last temptation of the Christ or harry potter pulled have a big riot.

The UN did a dumb thing... - A Black Falcon - 27th November 2008

This bill: I completely agree, terrible resolution.

The UN General Assembly does sometimes pass bad resolutions. That's why they have the Security Council there... a General Assembly resolution has minimal force of law. A Security Council one has much more of one... so only the better resolutions get through the security council.

But really, the General Assembly is one country, one vote. Every country gets only one, no matter how large or small they are. So there the small and poorer countries have a very large say. On the other hand, the Security Council is totally controlled by the great powers... it is kind of an odd system. Security Council reform is badly needed, to at minimum add a couple more permanent members... the problem is, nobody can agree which nations should be added, or what the structure should be, so nothing ever happens. Oh well... but hopefully eventually the UN will work out its differences and make some change for the better. :)

The UN is a critically important world body, one of the most important, and it badly needs American support. One thing I will be very, very happy to see change between Bush and Obama will be a dropping of the Republican hatred for the UN... whether it comes from neo-isolationism on one side of the party or neocon America-is-supreme imperialism on the other, the Republicans don't think much of working with the international community. We've seen what happens when you do that in the past eight years... things go very, very badly. Even if the UN General Assembly passes stupid resolutions somethimes.

The UN did a dumb thing... - alien space marine - 27th November 2008

A Black Falcon Wrote:This bill: I completely agree, terrible resolution.

The UN General Assembly does sometimes pass bad resolutions. That's why they have the Security Council there... a General Assembly resolution has minimal force of law. A Security Council one has much more of one... so only the better resolutions get through the security council.

But really, the General Assembly is one country, one vote. Every country gets only one, no matter how large or small they are. So there the small and poorer countries have a very large say. On the other hand, the Security Council is totally controlled by the great powers... it is kind of an odd system. Security Council reform is badly needed, to at minimum add a couple more permanent members... the problem is, nobody can agree which nations should be added, or what the structure should be, so nothing ever happens. Oh well... but hopefully eventually the UN will work out its differences and make some change for the better. :)

The UN is a critically important world body, one of the most important, and it badly needs American support. One thing I will be very, very happy to see change between Bush and Obama will be a dropping of the Republican hatred for the UN... whether it comes from neo-isolationism on one side of the party or neocon America-is-supreme imperialism on the other, the Republicans don't think much of working with the international community. We've seen what happens when you do that in the past eight years... things go very, very badly. Even if the UN General Assembly passes stupid resolutions somethimes.

Waisnt McCain preaching a league of democracy? Where only democratic nations would be involved?

It some ways a alternative to the U.N is would be nice,The big problem with the U.N is the fact anti democratic and anti secular nations can push resolutions like this.