Tendo City
Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Fallout 3 is AWESOME (/showthread.php?tid=5045)

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 28th October 2008

Without a doubt AWESOME. It's familiar enough that you know Bethesda developed it, but definitely it's own game.

The graphics are bumped up from Oblivion and painted with several thick coats of pure atmosphere, aided by some great music and sound work. Characters look much more like real people than the horrid monsters that infested previous Bethesda games and their voices are much less mechanical and a lot more fluid, something that benefits from better and more diverse writing.

Yes, the game is brown, brown, BROWN, unlike the lush green of Oblivion, but somehow it feels so much more fun to explore. Every little room and building and out-of-the-way corner of the world feels like it was put there for you to gawk at, rather than randomly generated using some computer program. Indoor areas are particularly nice, especially with soft light filtering through the windows.

Did I mention that the writing and voice acting is greatly improved? Because it is. Each town has numerous NPCs with their own personality and voice actor, as well as numerous lines of dialogue. There's also multiple dialogue options in virtually every conversation. Not all of them make a big difference, but you can tailor your responses to suit the character your playing as.

Character faces, while vastly improved, don't move too much aside from flapping lips. It's certainly not a game-breaker, but it's annoying to listen to someone yelling at you in panic while their face shows dull boredom. Especially when everything else in Fallout 3 has seen such a huge improvement over previous Bethesda games.

V.A.T.S. is cool, even if it is something of a glorified cheat button. Basically, it lets you hit enemies on any part of their body, generally with a high degree of accuracy even at low gun skill levels. But holy Moses is it fun to use. Not using V.A.T.S. is still very much a viable option, but it feels positively pedestrian compared to its skill-based brother.

There's lot of healing sources around, generally in the form of water fountains or sinks and the like, but the trade-off is that it gives you a dose of radiation. So it's best to keep some RAD-X on hand when things get dicey. Or, take your chances and hope the next town isn't too far off. Weapons, armor, and ammo are fairly plentiful, especially in raider camps, but guns wear out over time and the areas in between are...well...mostly barren. Money also seems to be farely tight, so don't blow your caps on useless stuff.

So far I haven't really used my skills too much, although I did notice that one sidequest requires a repair skill of at least 30 to complete. There's also a ton of perks that offer you various skills and bonuses. I'm sticking with the old Swift Learned mainstay to start out with.

I've only played for about 3 hours so far, but this could very well be my favorite games this year. It's THAT good. Based on first impressions alone I'd be very temped to give it a high 9.

ABF wrong again? Seems so. ;)

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 28th October 2008

I'm definitely going to pick this one up eventually. If I don't get it at Christmas I'll probably get it in January. I haven't played the original games in a while so I may refresh my memory before I get Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2008

Quote:ABF wrong again? Seems so.

Doubtful (for me), but I won't exactly be getting the game anytime soon to see what I think of it... :)

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 28th October 2008

Hey, if you want to miss out on one of the year's best games, then go right ahead.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - TrollSr - 28th October 2008

agreed,

/signed
~TrollSr~

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 29th October 2008

Signed? What does that mean? As in, your signature? You could just set one up, but we know who typed it, because there's your name right there. What?

So yeah, I have this game now, and rather than use it as some weird kind of... attack?, I'll just say that so far I'm impressed. Graphically, it's pretty much just like Oblivion actually. Maybe the effects are better, but I'm basing this on how it runs on my machine rather than artistically, and it runs at the same speed Oblivion does. The character creation is done in a very unique, and literal, way. Learning to walk for example... is done at 1 year old. Ever seen Rugrats? Then you know how effective those play pens are :D.

I only played through the initial starting zone, and I have to say they do a good job of not just plopping you right into "gritty dark depressing angst ridden main character" mode. There's a touching family and life you get to attach yourself to first. You know, human interaction, the things people do aside from war, like have birthday parties and talk to your parents and friends.

So yeah, I'd say this game impressed me more than I thought it would. Mind you I don't want to set the world on fire...

Joker: BUT I DO!

So yeah, here's the things I have to complain about. Securom. It's even worse here than it was in Bioshock. Mind you Bioshock eventually patched out of it's limited install nonsense, but this one on top of that also does a system scan for "emulator software", which in this case means anything that emulates a CD/DVD-ROM drive, like something called Alchohol 120% (what a weird name). The two it listed, I don't have on my system at all, so it was annoying seeing me denied an install because of a false positive. I used to prefer buying a hard copy of my games, but at this rate I'm really starting to prefer buying my games off Steam. They don't do this nonsense. So anyway, to get my game to install the website informed me of a way around this detection in case of false positive (umm... yeah that's a crack team of geniuses you have there if circumventing the detection is as simple as running setup directely instead of through the autorun batch program, WHAT is this for exactly?), and after install I had to replace the program's main launch with an updated version from their web site, again bringing me back to what was the point of that? Easing shareholder's concerns? Screw that, try actually easing CONSUMER'S concerns! Seriously, screw share holders. What do they do anyway? Piggyback off the success of others? Bunch of parasites...

Anyway, that's really about it as far as my complaints go. They also don't include a built in contruction kit for mods, but they do still allow you to load mods through a menu when you are starting up the game. It'll just take longer for people to get those mods made.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 29th October 2008

One of the things that really impresses me about Fallout 3 is how much an RPG it is compared to Oblivion. Oblivion just comes off as being really dumbed-down and most of your skills ultimately seem pointless. And if you want someone to like you, you just have to mess around a little bit with the persuasion wheel.

All of that is different with Fallout 3. The dialogue is so much better in Fallout 3 that it's almost mind-blowing. Nearly every NPC has several paragraphs of at least decently written dialogue, by a wide variety of voice actors that do a fairly good job. There's a lot of dialogue choices and some that are affected by your karma, intelligence, charisma, and skills, which generally appear in the form of choiches with a percentage chance of working. You dialogue choiches actually feel like they make a difference.

There's a lot more variety in the quests as well. Sure, there's still some fetch quests, but there are a lot that are genuinely interesting to do.

Another thing is that good weapons and armor are earned by doing hard quests and fighting hard enemies. You can't just level up on easy monsters and then pick up the best items in the game from random bandits. Weapons also degrade the more you use them, so you have to find more or have them repaired. However, money is relatively scarce in thise game. And what money you do have is often spent on healing agents and ammo. You can also find schematics to construct your own custom weapons.

Radiation plays a much bigger factor in Fallout 3 than in previous games. It's every where from the water to the food and in several other key places [like the unexploded atomic bomb in Megaton or the waste disposal facility]. You can heal by drinking water and eating food, but whenever you do you also ingest a certain amount of radiation which can have negative effects on your character. Radiation doesn't go away on its own either, you need to visit a doctor or take some meds.

At times, the game can be HARD. Just walking around the wasteland can be the death of you if you happen upon some super mutants or some particularly strong bandits. This is especially true early on when your weapons and armor are weak. Don't be surprised if you die more than once just walking around in the open.

Super Mutants aren't stupid. They know how to use guns and will yell at you during combat. So far I haven't found one that was interested in listening to what you have to say.

This game features: Cannibalism, prostitutes, murder, vampirism, slavery, drugs, ultra violence, parenticide, giant insects, the constant threat of death, and the chance to be pure evil.

Quote:They also don't include a built in contruction kit for mods, but they do still allow you to load mods through a menu when you are starting up the game. It'll just take longer for people to get those mods made.

Yeah, I hope a construction set comes along eventually. But, honestly, there's not a whole lot at this point that I think needs to changed/fixed.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 30th October 2008

It's not about "fixing" it so much as expanding it.

At any rate, it seems that they are saying the only protection level securom uses is a basic disk check. I'm fine with disk checks, as those have been around since the start. I have only recently adapted to entire games being dumped on the hard disk rather than being read from the disk, so it's not like I'm not used to putting a disk in the drive to play my game. However, that's NOT the only check they do. Securom is running some bizarre check for disk drive emulators, and for the life of me I have no idea why I failed that check. It was annoying is all, but fortunatly it is easily worked around.

I hope others take this as an example. This is a perfectly satisfactory level of copyright protection. That said, it was still hacked on day one. Sad isn't it?

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 31st October 2008

I've put about 18 hours into Fallout 3 so far and I'm only just now starting to get the really good weapons. There's the Fatman that lobs mini-nukes, of which I've only found about six, and the Rock-It-Launcher, which launches random junk at high velocities. Fun stuff all around, really.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - TrollSr - 31st October 2008

I just got the fatman, haven't used it yet though...figured i'd save it for when I really need it.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - alien space marine - 2nd November 2008

How does this game play? Is it a RPG? Something like RE?What could you compare it too?

I am considering trying it out.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - TrollSr - 2nd November 2008

Its a futuristic oblivion..with some better graphics

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 3rd November 2008

It's Morrowind mixed with a little Bioshock and several doses of Fallout.

Or STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl with a lot more RPG elements.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 3rd November 2008

Closer to Oblivion than Morrowind. I didn't really like Morrowind. Mercifully, annoyances like the "talk pie" mini-game that was not only not fun, but not very satisfying from a role playing perspective, have been sacked proper.

In the future, I hope that speech "points" will be out and out done away with in favor of much more involved conversation options. At the very most, all "speech" (and other things like science and intellect) should provide are extra options IN conversations, not a determiner of how convincing your argument is. It just gives the impression that all arguments are equal or something and it's just a matter of how much glitter you spray around while talking that convinces everyone.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 3rd November 2008

Some dialogue options won't show up unless you have certain perks/skills.

And I mentioned Morrowind because F3 has a similar feel to it. That of an oppressively dreary enviroment, but in a good way and without all the annoying fog.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 3rd November 2008

That's certainly a start but not quite what I mean.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - lazyfatbum - 4th November 2008

On occasion I visualize the convopie while speaking to others. Getting people to zero is a lot harder in real life since actions speak so much louder than words.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 4th November 2008

Great Rumbler Wrote:Some dialogue options won't show up unless you have certain perks/skills.

That's good. I don't think Bethesda had done that before... a definite step in the RPG direction.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 8th November 2008

Hey, remember back when I said that I hoped Fallout 3 would turn out like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodline? Turns out I was right!

Except no horribly unresponsive combat and the second half of the game is as good as the first half.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 6th December 2008

I watched someone playing Fallout 3 today for like 45 minutes or an hour or so, I can see why people like it, and why I'd find it so uninteresting... run around, hit VATS, shoot things... maybe moderately amusing, but I absolutely can't see myself getting into it at all.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - TrollSr - 7th December 2008

it was cool for the first few quests, then you throw it on the shelf

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 8th December 2008

You guys are WACK. Fallout 3 is by far the best game released this year.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - TrollSr - 8th December 2008

you need to get your head outta your ass

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 8th December 2008

Dear lazy,

Buy a megaphone. If that doesn't turn your words loud enough, buy 40 and stack them end to end. Turn your words into action directly!

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 9th December 2008

I don't actually own anything released this year yet so I don't know if I can say much to that... :)

Still though, of this year's games I've seen in person, as far as console games go... I don't know... Mirror's Edge was pretty impressive, but I don't know if it was GOTY. Nintendo really hasn't had much of anything aside from SSBB, which just doesn't interest me that much, just like the first two... if only we were getting Fire Emblem DS here this month too, like Europe is... :(

I don't know, I haven't played enough of this year's stuff. But it wouldn't be Fallout 3, that's for sure.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 9th December 2008

A Black Falcon Wrote:if only we were getting Fire Emblem DS here this month too, like Europe is... :(
I finally got around to playing Radiant Dawn about a month ago, and have been hooked on it since. I'm playing through it on Normal now after beating it on Easy and am usually getting my ass handed to me. It's a great game, though.

It took me a year to beat Path of Radiance on Hard... well okay, my Gamecube was pretty much broken for six months of that year, but even so. :)

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 9th December 2008

I don't even know if I'm going to attempt it on Hard. I don't think I have it in me.

I meant the GC one... Radiant Dawn would be one of the first two games I'd buy after getting a Wii (with Mario Galaxy; Excite Truck would likely be third...). I think Radiant Dawn's hardest mode is even harder than Path of Radiance's, because of how they removed the hardest mode from the US PoR but I don't know if they did from the US Radiant Dawn...

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 10th December 2008

The Hard Mode in Radiant Dawn is Japan's Insane Mode or whatever its called so its probably harder than PoR.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 10th December 2008

Yeah, PoR's Insane is the one they removed from the US release. They added Easy instead... in Japan the lowest difficulty is Normal. :)

Hard was pretty hard... great of course, though.

As for the other Fire Emblem games, I've beaten Fire Emblem (7) in Eliwood's Normal and Hector's Normal (and all three difficulties in Lyn's mode), and TSS in Normal (Eirika's path), I think. Not certain about that one, it could have been hard... either way, it had challenge, but wasn't as hard as FE7. PoR was, probably... though without Insane mode it can't match FE7 Hector's Hard Mode, really, from what I've heard. :)

But yeah, Fire Emblem games are hard, and they're supposed to be. That's a lot of the fun, as well as most of the frustration -- figuring out what to do to get through the missions without losing anyone... which is very, very difficult sometimes. I definitely love the series, though. :)

The DS remake of the original Fire Emblem is supposedly coming out here early next year. It's my next must-buy DS game (along with Etrian Odyssey 2, which came out earlier this year of course and I haven't gotten yet, but will for sure).

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 10th December 2008

I hope they remake all the Fire Emblems. From what I've heard the SNES games were insanely great. I don't think they will, though, since I'm pretty sure Marth's appearance in SSBM is the reason they are remaking the first game.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2008

A Black Falcon Wrote:I don't actually own anything released this year yet so I don't know if I can say much to that... :)

Still though, of this year's games I've seen in person, as far as console games go... I don't know... Mirror's Edge was pretty impressive, but I don't know if it was GOTY. Nintendo really hasn't had much of anything aside from SSBB, which just doesn't interest me that much, just like the first two... if only we were getting Fire Emblem DS here this month too, like Europe is... :(

I don't know, I haven't played enough of this year's stuff. But it wouldn't be Fallout 3, that's for sure.

"I haven't really played any games this year, but there's no way that Fallout 3 could be the best game this year. Just no way at all. I mean...I mean...come on, man! Bethesda, man!! OH GOD FLASHBACKS TO DECEMBER 8, 2003! *breathes heavily into paper bag* It's all okay, man, just keep bashing that Fallout 3, man. Nothing upsetting the apple cart today, boys, let me tell you. *ahem* Right anyway, I don't have a single clue what I'm talking about but I'll continue offering opinions anyhow, because you know."

Mirror's Edge isn't game of the year, I'll tell you that. It's great fun when everything clicks, but there are many moments of extreme frustration scattered around every level.

Saint's Row 2 is up there and so is Left 4 Dead, maybe toss Dead Space into the mix as well, but Fallout 3 has a great combination of open-world design, fun gameplay, and atmosphere atmosphere atmosphere that put it over the top.

Quote:you need to get your head outta your ass

Go play in the street, honey, the adults are talking.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2008

Quote:"I haven't really played in game this year, but there's no way that Fallout 3 could be the best game this year. Just no way at all. I mean...I mean...come on, man! Bethesda, man!! OH GOD FLASHBACKS TO DECEMBER 8, 2003! *breathes heavily into paper bag* It's all okay, man, just keep bashing that Fallout 3, man. Nothing upsetting the apple cart today, boys, let me tell you. *ahem* Right anyway, I don't have a single clue what I'm talking about but I'll continue offering opinions anyhow, because you know."

Hah, Fallout 3 deserved it then and still does. :)

Quote:Mirror's Edge isn't game of the year, I'll tell you that. It's great fun when everything clicks, but there a many moments of extreme frustration scattered around every level.

Saint's Row 2 is up there and so is Left 4 Dead, maybe toss Dead Space into the mix as well, but Fallout 3 has a great combination of open-world design, fun gameplay, and atmosphere atmosphere atmosphere that put it over the top.

Dead Space: Heard the name, don't really know anything else other than that it involves zombies in some way.

Saint's Row 2: Same... GTA clone, correct? GTA's kind of fun.

Left 4 Dead: Watched some gameplay of it online. Looks okay, for FPS fans. I wouldn't buy it.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2008

Quote:Hah, Fallout 3 deserved it then and still does.

Says the guy who watched a few videos and is now an expert on it.

Quote:Dead Space: Heard the name, don't really know anything else other than that it involves zombies in some way.

Saint's Row 2: Same... GTA clone, correct? GTA's kind of fun.

Left 4 Dead: Watched some gameplay of it online. Looks okay, for FPS fans. I wouldn't buy it.

Dead Space doesn't have zombies, at least not in the traditional sense. They're humans that were twisted into alien-like monsters by an alien infestation. It borrows a lot from Resident Evil, but with an added scifi twist that works great.

SR2 is a clone of the good GTAs, unlike GTAIV which was a clone of something lame.

Left 4 Dead is the ultimate multiplayer experience this year, but I wouldn't expect a soul-less robot to understand that.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2008

So only soul-less robots could possibly be uninterested by most FPSes? Right... Erm

Quote:Says the guy who watched a few videos and is now an expert on it.

Hey, I watched someone play it, not just videos... :)

Also, I don't think I ever said I was an expert on it.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 13th December 2008

Quote:So only soul-less robots could possibly be uninterested by most FPSes? Right...

Well, I certainly can't think of any other reason why someone wouldn't be excited about Left 4 Dead. It's like a roller coaster, but without all the pauses to climb the next hill.

Quote:Also, I don't think I ever said I was an expert on it.

Then how come you're absolutely convinced that it's not the best game this year?

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2008

Quote:Well, I certainly can't think of any other reason why someone wouldn't be excited about Left 4 Dead. It's like a roller coaster, but without all the pauses to climb the next hill.

That's 100% a matter of opinion... just because a game is good doesn't mean everyone is going to like it. It's another FPS, but in multiplayer teams and with zombies... I'd lose interest pretty fast. I mean, multiplayer FPSes never hold my attention for any length of time at all...

Quote:Then how come you're absolutely convinced that it's not the best game this year?

I said that I'm absolutely convinced that it's not my favorite game of the year, and it'd be nowhere near my "favorite games of the year" list. Objectively? I have no idea.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 14th December 2008

Quote:I said that I'm absolutely convinced that it's not my favorite game of the year, and it'd be nowhere near my "favorite games of the year" list.

You mean you don't put games you haven't actually played yet on your "favorite games of the year" list? I'm absolutely shocked by this news!

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2008

I don't have a "favorite games released this year" list for 2008. Didn't I say that too? I just know that whatever would be on it, Fallout 3 wouldn't. :)

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 15th December 2008

It's amazing that you know that without actually playing it. Or any other game this year.

It's like magic or something.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 31st December 2008

Fallout 3 is the best game of the year based on what I've played. I liked Oblivion, but I love this game. The atmosphere alone makes the game great. Someone mentioned earlier that it is good that they start you in the Vault and don't put you in the Wasteland right away and I think that is a key to what makes the game so good. You get really attached to the safe life you have in the Vault so that when you have to leave you actually panic a little bit. I had read about Megaton on the Overseer's computer so I knew a large settlement existed around the Vault but it took me a few days to find it. Before I did I was surviving on limited ammo, food, and sleeping for an hour or two where I could. Once I found Megaton I felt like I had another safe place to live, but the oppressive atmosphere of the game is still incredible.

I will say that I generally hate FPSers, but Fallout 3 is not a typical FPS. VATS is a fun alternative to normal shooting and without it I don't think I would enjoy the game as much. Sometimes I'll just keep attempting to dodge an enemy until my action points recharge so I can use VATS again.

ABF, I don't think this is the type of game you can appreciate in an hour, especially if you don't have a connection to it from the beginning. I'd give it a try on your own once you can find it used for a decent price.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 31st December 2008

On December DMiller said:

DMiller Wrote:Fallout 3 is the best game of the year based on what I've played. I liked Oblivion, but I love this game. The atmosphere alone makes the game great. Someone mentioned earlier that it is good that they start you in the Vault and don't put you in the Wasteland right away and I think that is a key to what makes the game so good. You get really attached to the safe life you have in the Vault so that when you have to leave you actually panic a little bit. I had read about Megaton on the Overseer's computer so I knew a large settlement existed around the Vault but it took me a few days to find it. Before I did I was surviving on limited ammo, food, and sleeping for an hour or two where I could. Once I found Megaton I felt like I had another safe place to live, but the oppressive atmosphere of the game is still incredible.

I will say that I generally hate FPSers, but Fallout 3 is not a typical FPS. VATS is a fun alternative to normal shooting and without it I don't think I would enjoy the game as much. Sometimes I'll just keep attempting to dodge an enemy until my action points recharge so I can use VATS again.

ABF, I don't think this is the type of game you can appreciate in an hour, especially if you don't have a connection to it from the beginning. I'd give it a try on your own once you can find it used for a decent price.

If you're confused, so am I! There's this thing going around where web logs seem to get the ENTIRE contents reposted as an informative statement of what they JUST POSTED, exactly like what I said above. I have no idea why they do it.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 31st December 2008

What are you talking about?

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 31st December 2008

I was wondering the same thing.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Dark Jaguar - 31st December 2008

DMiller responded:

DMiller Wrote:I was wondering the same thing.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - lazyfatbum - 3rd January 2009

Dark Jaguar Wrote:If you're confused, so am I! There's this thing going around where web logs seem to get the ENTIRE contents reposted as an informative statement of what they JUST POSTED, exactly like what I said above. I have no idea why they do it.

:FuckYou:

40 megapho... end to end? I bet it would cause a complex audio anomaly where the amount of echo and feed back would force a need to say words phonetically that combat the anomaly so that the end result is the actual cursing and belittling. What you SAY is 'Fancy dresses pecan pie' but what you HEAR is "Fuck your stupid pecan pie".

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - DMiller - 3rd January 2009

Now that made more sense. Mostly because it was lazy saying it.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - Great Rumbler - 3rd January 2009

DJ and lazy are crazy, but Fallout 3 is amazing!

Go play Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is AWESOME - lazyfatbum - 4th January 2009

No. :FuckYou:

I forgot how much I love 4chan, I have new boyfriends <333333