Tendo City
Man on Wire - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Man on Wire (/showthread.php?tid=4976)

Man on Wire - A Black Falcon - 30th August 2008

It's a movie. Go watch it, if it's playing anywhere near you! Very, very good...

Very interesting movie/documentary on Phillippe Petit and his high-wire act between the two World Trade Center towers... presented in the style of a bank-heist movie, a style that fits it very well. Saw this in the theater today after seeing the four-star review in the papers, and it is definitely good... that everything went off so well despite such great challenges is pretty amazing. And the sheer fearlessness you would need to go out there, so high off the ground... and not just that, but to spend six years before that planning and dreaming of that chance. And then to see it all fall into place, against all odds... amazing.

All of the people involved are in the movie too, talking about their parts in the act and their thoughts on it. This is combined with many photos, a few authentic (black & white) videos from the time, and re-enactment videos (in color) of many other scenes. The different forms merge together well, tied together by the narrative, amazing visuals of him in various high-wire showings (Notre Dame Cathedral, Sydney Harbor Bridge, the WTC) and a great soundtrack. Phillippe Petit's character really drives the movie... he has such strong personality and character and drive, even decades later, for this crossing. He really gets into telling the story, and he does it well. The others do a good job too, but he is the central force behind the film. And it's his dream and his story, so that is how it should be... many people never accomplish their dreams, but he was lucky enough to not just dream big, but achieve those dreams.

The movie never mentions 9/11, but it is always in the background, something the audience knows will happen later. I think that definitely affected the movie; I definitely think that the sad, sentimental music they play during the scenes showing the building of the tower would have been quite different if the buildings still stood. But avoiding a direct mention of 9/11 is for the best; that has nothing to do with this feat, it stands on its own.

The movie is definitely recommended.

... Hmm, should this go in the movie review forum?

Man on Wire - Great Rumbler - 21st September 2008

I really want to see this, but it's not showing in my area. :(

Man on Wire - DMiller - 21st September 2008

I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it is playing near me, but I just have to find some of that free time that everyone seems to be talking about.

Man on Wire - Fittisize - 21st September 2008

somebody plz seed plllllllllllllllllzzzzz!

Man on Wire - A Black Falcon - 21st September 2008

You should watch it, who knows how long it's going to be playing for, and it's quite good... and it's not a long movie either.

Man on Wire - Fittisize - 18th January 2009

Just watched this on DVD and it was truly mezmerizing. A lot of great things have already been said about this movie so there's not much for me to add, but the the entire story was incredible and beautiful.

Man on Wire - Great Rumbler - 19th January 2009

I saw it a couple of weeks ago, it's a really good documentary. Uplifting, even.

Man on Wire - ReliableG - 19th January 2009

I know Miller, Fallout can be time consuming :)

Man on Wire - DMiller - 20th January 2009

Yes it can be time consuming. And how many usernames are you going to sign up for here?