Tendo City
Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? (/showthread.php?tid=495)

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - OB1 - 8th April 2003

From Games Are Fun:

Quote:GameCube successor before PlayStation 3, neXtbox
Japan's Nikkei Industrial Daily, a daily newspaper, states today that Nintendo could release a successor to its GameCube hardware sometime before Sony and Microsoft launch their next-generation consoles in 2005. Nintendo thinks that if it is the first to release new hardware, it could give them an advantage that they've been without with the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube.
Source: GameFront

Posted by Soul4ger on 4.8.2003

I hope this doesn't mean that the hardware will be a lot worse than Sony's and MS's. Sega tried this with the Dreamcast but failed, but I guess Nintendo is looking at the PS2 and seeing how far ahead it is in terms of sales and popularity. But Nintendo is more like Sega than they are like Sony, so this might not be a good idea. Perhaps if they release the system six months before the competition with tons of great games (no Luigi's Mansion crap) and a huge marketing blitz, they might have a chance to seriously compete with Sony. And the hardware better be comparable to the competition's.

Discuss.

Oh and before someone tells me that this is old news, it's an update on old news and we need some more threads here. So shut up.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2003

If they do it just right, they could pull it off and gain a lead over the other systems. But they NEED to hype it up AND release some HEAVILY advertised AAA games. Otherwise this won't help them at all.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2003

Well, while it would be a mistake to release the next Nintendo system a year before Sony, getting a few months drop on them -- WITH A GREAT LAUNCH LINEUP -- could help... but it really wouldn't be the deciding factor if they release within a few months of eachother, I think. Games are...

Look at the PS1 and Saturn (in the US). The Saturn came out early -- several months before the PS1. But as soon as it came out the PS1 started blowing away the Saturn because its launch lineup was better... and people didn't like Sega as much after the Sega CD and 32X (remember at the time they were claiming they were going to support all three consoles...)... or 2d games which Saturn did better, I think...

But the point is that for the Saturn and Dreamcast a early launch did nothing for Sega... games and public opinion count for more. And while Nintendo wins on games, in public opinion they have been badly struggling ever since the N64 didn't become a mass market success... and that doesn't look like it'll change anytime soon with Nintendo's marketing as bad as it is...

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Darunia - 8th April 2003

FROM OB1: "Perhaps if they release the system six months before the competition with tons of great games (no Luigi's Mansion crap) and a huge marketing blitz"

Yea, right, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. Their brains are in their wallets, not their heads. We'll see no marketing blitz, and maybe one or two good launch titles...and we'll have another GC or N64 on our hands. I truthfully believe that all we need is two good Rare and two good Nintendo titles...imagine a launch with a new Zelda, new Mario....new PD, and another original Rare title, ALL AT LAUNCH!!!

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - WhiteFleck - 8th April 2003

That'd be great, except there won't be any Rare.

Yeah... that sure won't help much either... Rare really carried the N64...

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Darunia - 8th April 2003

It really did, too. That's shaken the die hard N64 base to the very core; I don't think N64 would've lasted as long as it did with just Mario and Zelda to carry it. GoldenEye and GoldenEye alone goaded a lot of PSXers and neutrals to buy an N64 just for that. PSX didn't even have 4-player capability, don't forget.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - EdenMaster - 8th April 2003

Luigis Mansion was not a bad game, but agreeably, it was not the perfect launch title.

Nintendo is trying to dig itself out of it's own grave. Since Yamauchi retired, Nintendos new president (his name escapes me) has been doing a fine job, and has good ideas. Nintendo launching a console before their competitors would have advantages. People wanting a next-next-gen console would have nowhere to turn but the Big N. This owuld hlp sales early on, but they need more than just an initial hook.

If we see a new franchise of Mario, Super Smash Bros., Zelda, and maybe even Metroid at launch with the next Nintendo console, then we might have a running start, heck we might even win the race. However one blatenly obvious shortcoming is Nintendo's marketing (or lack thereof)

Not a commercial break goes by anymore it seems without seeing that big green X or being asked to "Live in your world, play in ours". When a big name game comes out, Nintendo will advertise it. Slightly. Enough to amuse thoe die-hards that already know it coming out, but not enough to catch prospective buyers.

Nintendo has money. If they used that money. they could easily fight their way to the top again.

Problem is, they won't.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - N-Man - 8th April 2003

IMHO, Nintendo needs to take a breather. It seems like R&D's constantly working off the clock to pump out titles that keep the GC (and before that the N64) alive. They ought to rethink their strategy, as this one obviously isn't working. This new console screams Dreamcast, which isn't such a bad thing after all (DC did have some initial success), but it needs to have no noticeable graphical difference with the other next-gen consoles and just basically be able to keep up the pace. Earlier entry means it needs the ability to stand the test of time.

In the gaming industry, a "breather" can mean a companys death. Nintendo is going to fight with every dollar they have to stay in the video game business. They've said themselves: "The day we quit making consoles, is the day we stop making videogames".

Rare did carry the N64, but they're nowhere near as important to Nintendo now as they were during the N64 days. If it weren't for Rare then there would have been only one, maybe two big releases per year. Now we get seven big Nintendo first and second-party games every year, so it's not a huge loss. But that's not what this thread is for.

I can see Nintendo making good use of the head start if they do these things:

1. Make a more mature-looking console and try to completely wipe away Nintendo's "kiddy" public image. No more purple consoles, no more lunchbox handles. And make sure to have DVD playback support.

2. Support the same or better optical format that Sony and MS will use, which will most likely be blue-laser DVDs. Don't be at a six GB disadvantage again.

3. Launch with at least three AAA games, even if that means canceling some Gamecube titles and moving them to the N2004/2005 launch. Have a new Mario platformer, a great new racing game like Wave Race or F-Zero, and a new Smash Bros. title at launch. Nintendo is the best game developer in the world, and they better come out the gate guns blazing. Sony and MS cannot do that. Capcom canceling RE4 in favor of a N2004 launch might be a good idea as well, since their RE exclusivity ends after RE4.

4. Have a couple more AAA titles come out just a couple of months after launch, and keep the hits coming on a regular basis. Six month gaps between big games is not acceptable anymore.

5. Have full DTS (or Dolby Digital, if DTS is not possible) 5.1 support for all games. Progressive scan must be supported for all games as well.

6. MS showed that having a built-in modem and HDD is necessary, especially for online titles. And they better have some sort of online model available at or soon after launch.

7. Have big games from every genre available at launch. Especially sports games. And the sports games better have online modes.

And uh, that’s all I can think of for now.

Also, I'd be willing to live without another Gamecube Metroid if that means it would be ready early on in the next system's life.

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
1. Make a more mature-looking console and try to completely wipe away Nintendo's "kiddy" public image. No more purple consoles, no more lunchbox handles. And make sure to have DVD playback support.

People don't hate Nintendo because of what the GameCube looks like. Don't like purple, buy a black one. Or better yet a platinum one. That "lunchbox handle" you bash can be quite useful. I've used that handle a lot, and found it to be a great design addition. You must not move your GameCube much, I don't so much anymore, but when I took it over to friends places, it proved to be quite handy. People hate Nintendo because of Nintendos past image. If they wiped the preconcieved notions away, they'd see what an incredible console the GameCube truly is. It has the WaveBird too. I've had people tell me it's not a big deal. It is. It's a huge deal if you don't have to sit as close to the TV as your cord makes you. If you lay under a blanket, you don't need to have that further shorten the length of your cord (especially in bed).

GameCube doesn't need a DVD player. It's a game console, thats it. That's all it needs to be. By now, doesn't most everyone who wants a DVD player have one? Why waste space on a console with DVD hardware when you don't need it. That could be used for something to make games better. Not to mention the raised price.

The GameCube is a strong competitor to the PS2 and X-Box, but some gamers are just far too shallow to see that.

Quote:Nintendo is trying to dig itself out of it's own grave.

I'd say they sort of are trying to, but the only result is a deeper and deeper grave... because their efforts aren't exactly done as well as they could be...

Quote:Not a commercial break goes by anymore it seems without seeing that big green X or being asked to "Live in your world, play in ours". When a big name game comes out, Nintendo will advertise it. Slightly. Enough to amuse thoe die-hards that already know it coming out, but not enough to catch prospective buyers.

Nintendo has money. If they used that money. they could easily fight their way to the top again.

Definitely. Nintendo needs several orders of magnitude more ads... and a new ad agency to make them. Their current ads are ... underwhelming ...

Quote:2. Support the same or better optical format that Sony and MS will use, which will most likely be blue-laser DVDs. Don't be at a six GB disadvantage again.

No. If they do, the NGC will be pirated within months just like the PS2 and X-Box were... I don't want the size difference, but they MUST do something physical to stop piracy or it'll be like those consoles where anyone with a DVD burner can play nearly free games... mini-disks aren't exactly common...

Quote: Rare did carry the N64, but they're nowhere near as important to Nintendo now as they were during the N64 days. If it weren't for Rare then there would have been only one, maybe two big releases per year. Now we get seven big Nintendo first and second-party games every year, so it's not a huge loss. But that's not what this thread is for.

I disagree. On the N64 Rare took a while to build up steam (in the first year we just got Blast Corps and KI Gold... good games, but not system-sellers or technical showpieces...). I'm sure the same would have happened with the Cube... and even though Nintendo does have more first/second party games now, the loss of Rare is very huge. With Rare they'd have several more AAA games a year... which would help a LOT.

How well would the N64 have done with no Rare? Do you think it'd have even been relevant by early 2000?

Quote:1. Make a more mature-looking console and try to completely wipe away Nintendo's "kiddy" public image. No more purple consoles, no more lunchbox handles. And make sure to have DVD playback support.

Good idea. Though the DVD playback support isn't needed (gaming focus isn't a bad thing...), a more 'mature' looking console would be good... and no "Star Cube"! :D

Quote:3. Launch with at least three AAA games, even if that means canceling some Gamecube titles and moving them to the N2004/2005 launch. Have a new Mario platformer, a great new racing game like Wave Race or F-Zero, and a new Smash Bros. title at launch. Nintendo is the best game developer in the world, and they better come out the gate guns blazing. Sony and MS cannot do that. Capcom canceling RE4 in favor of a N2004 launch might be a good idea as well, since their RE exclusivity ends after RE4.

I don't know... they need to keep the Cube running well to keep people's intrest in Nintendo... the Cube had a big disadvantage with how when it came out there hadn't been a N64 game in 4 or 5 months and hadn't been a big N64 release in almost a year (Paper Mario)... but several launch AAA games is a must.

Though to me Rogue Leader was a sure launch system seller... :)

Quote:6. MS showed that having a built-in modem and HDD is necessary, especially for online titles. And they better have some sort of online model available at or soon after launch.

Absolutely. This is vital... but I don't expect it since Nintendo is so stupid on this subject...

This is the same viewpoint that Nintendo has taken, and look at what good it's done for them. Of course you can buy the black GC if you wanted to, but Nintendo was advertising the purple one and using that as the image of the Gamecube. The handle, while being handy, only added to Nintendo's kiddy image. The Gamecube just doesn't look like a "cool" electronics device like the PS2 and X-Box; it looks like a toy. I personally like the design of the GC over the PS2 and X-Box, but that's the public perception of it.

DVD playback support was very important this generation because many casual gamers and non-gamers bought PS2s and X-Boxed over Gamecubes because they thought that they would be saving money since they wouldn't have to buy seperate DVD players. It probably won't be as important in the next generation of consoles, but it should still be an option. And adding DVD playback support to a DVD-based console should not be a huge extra cost.

And you're right; people's preconceived notions of Nintendo is the main reason why the mainstream audience looks at them like that. But Nintendo only made things worse by refusing to market the Gamecube to an older audience early on. For their next system they have to do everything possible to change their image.

Quote:No. If they do, the NGC will be pirated within months just like the PS2 and X-Box were... I don't want the size difference, but they MUST do something physical to stop piracy or it'll be like those consoles where anyone with a DVD burner can play nearly free games... mini-disks aren't exactly common...

Yes piracy is an important factor, but more important that that is that the N2004 disc capacity is at least equal to the PS3 and X-Box 2, and that licensing fees are the same as Sony and MS's. Nintendo still charges way too much per GC disc to third-parties.

Quote:I disagree. On the N64 Rare took a while to build up steam (in the first year we just got Blast Corps and KI Gold... good games, but not system-sellers or technical showpieces...). I'm sure the same would have happened with the Cube... and even though Nintendo does have more first/second party games now, the loss of Rare is very huge. With Rare they'd have several more AAA games a year... which would help a LOT.

How well would the N64 have done with no Rare? Do you think it'd have even been relevant by early 2000?

The N64 would have died a much eariler death without Rare, but the Gamecube is not in the same situation. From September 26, 1996 until May 30, 2001 (almost five years) Nintendo released about 40 first and second-party Nintendo 64 games in the U.S., 11 of them being Rare titles. Comparitively, in just 17 months Nintendo has released about 14 Gamecube games. If The Gamecube were to live as long as the Nintendo 64, we would have roughly 50 or so Nintendo games total. That's a very rough estimate, but it does show you that the Gamecube will have more than enough Nintendo-published games without Rare's help. I'm also not counting the fact that Nintendo's third party support is much better now than it was during the N64 days and how Namco, Sega, and other third parties are developing Nintendo games as well.

There's also the fact that several key Rare members left the company to form their own studios, all of which are currently developing for the Gamecube. Hopefully the money Nintendo got from the Rare sale will help them form new development studios and get more third-party support.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Dark Jaguar - 8th April 2003

I don't know about you, but I love the look of my GCN (I got black, they didn't have any other color at that store). Nothing wrong with "indigo" (well technically, purple isn't listed in the colors of the rainbow, so maybe it's MORE accurate, since all you ever really need is seven colors, this statement was intented for laughs...idiots....don't tell me why we need more than seven colors, just laugh at the sillyness of what I said...) when others are there to get. I've never heard anyone make fun of the GCN's look, ever. That handle doesn't look like a lunch box handle (and what's wrong with that? Construction workers have lunch boxes!), it looks perfectly functional. The only problem is it's SUPPOSED to be a cube, but you don't even need a ruler to see that it's "deeper" than it is high or wide, thus meaning it's not a cube at all. For that matter, I do believe the Q is the nicest console I have ever seen, and others agree. ALL consoles look like toys compaired to the look of the Q.

I agree, keeping the same size is a good move. Hopefully they will work out keeping the access speed the same. This isn't some huge thing hurting Nintendo though, although certain ports would be multidisk if they had to occur. What I want to see is some numbers regarding how much pirating the GCN has had compaired to the XBox and PS2 (compairing to XBox would be better as they are very close to GCN sales so it's easier to see the ratio) so we can see exactly how much good this copy protection scheme has done. As of yet I haven't heard of anyone selling illegal copies of GCN games, but then again I haven't been looking, and for that matter I haven't even heard about illegal copying of the other two system's games (though I suspect that with the PS2 format being so very close to standard PC DVD format that it's already happened quite a bit to PS2 games). In any case, this isn't an important step for their success, just something to make developer porting easier.

That third part is of course the most important thing Nintendo could possibly do aside from launching at or a little before the PS2. No more needs to be said. The only trouble is getting some teams working on those super games in advance. Why not have Retro make one and HAL make another, then just get Miyamoto's group working on the third, and in ADVANCE.

That forth one is something that would be great, but remember this. Sony and MS don't publish games nearly that often in their first and second party games. Sony has the advantage of their AAA games being published by third parties all the time. That's what Nintendo needs to do to get all those games coming out all the time (or stop making GB games and get those groups to focus on GCN games, but that's insane because I love portable games), woo some third party groups early on. They are slowly gaining support for GCN, just keep that support and ask them to make some cool games for later on in GCN's life.

The fifth thing is just fan service. Most casual gamers don't care about surround sound or HDTV support. In fact, most casuals I meet just hook up the ol' RF modulator to the new system they bought and hook that up to their 15' TV with VCR combo built in. I'm just BARELY above that with the advantage of not needing an RF modulator :D. This Digital 2 thing sounds pretty sweet from what I've heard in stores, and I can't really tell the difference between that and genuine stuff. Still, I can see that it would be a nice addition. Might as well make it support 6.1. If they are goign to bother with HDTV, they really need to get games supporting higher resolutions that new HDTVs are capable of. Push it to the thousands for starters, then higher. Still though, this isn't something that will sell systems to the masses. I don't know anyone who's ever used the surround sound or hdtv abilities of their PS2, XBox, or GCN.

6th? I've been pushing for that since day one! Put those things in the system from the START (but add what MS is missing, the modem built in, since I don't think 2005 will be so different that everyone's switched to broadband). For that matter, one last addition. Make that HD removable and sell replacement HDs, IN STORES! That online store selling stuff we should be able to get normally is getting on my nerves. It shouldn't be much to put the HD near the side and putting a clip on it and encasing it so we can remove it and slide in a new one. This way, they could even just make it a 10 gig and the size would never really be a problem since one could easily just go out and buy a new HD when it gets filled (beats buying a whole new system...). And YES, an online plan from the start is needed! In fact, even if you don't have an MS style system, you could just go with Sony's system for a while until you get an MS style system worked out. The key is to have some online games at launch.

Well, that's basically expanding on the have AAA titles at the start. Just make them all different genres eh? Sports games never were a big deal to me, but some like them. Get Sega to make those, or EA. Again, 3rd party wooing is a must. As an added extension to this and the above point, release an online FPS from the start. Heck, it doesn't need to be THAT good as long as it looks good and the multiplayer is fun (Halo prooves that). May I suggest a medieval theme with crossbows and magic bolts? I haven't played that kind of FPS since some really old game for PC (wasn't that good, but it was a nice change of pace from Wolfenstein and Doom).

"We need an 8th." Yes you do! Backwards compatibility! This REALLY helped sell the PS2 even when it had barely any games! People wanted to play many PS1 games, but realized the new system was out, why not buy that to play them? Same with the GBC and the GBA! People who never owned the old systems before those two bought them to play the old titles as much as they did to play the new! Nintendo has two experiences with backwards compatibility, and Sony has the success of one. Backwards compatility sells systems! So, just have a nice inner groove (well, most CD trays do) for GCN games and let us play them.

And now, for minor points of improovement that don't even matter, but I'd like to see done anyway.

They should adjust the memory system so that the maximum number of files is equal to the maximum number of blocks on the memory unit. In fact, just use kilobytes and a varient of the FAT system. No royalties involved, and it's already established! It works FINE for Sony (who did both) and MS (who just used a FAT system varient).

When making the new controller, they might have some innovative ideas in mind (might not, not much more that can be done unless something brilliant comes along), but mainly just move that Z button (they have to keep all those buttons due to backwards compatibility). Fill in the two buttons you removed from the 6 button setup to make that falsly innovative tetris shape design (come on, they just cut out the upper left and upper right buttons from a 6 button setup to make that). Add the select button back to it. Give a click feature to the sticks. Make the A button (maybe the B button) pressure sensitive (only one or two need to be made pressure sensitive, and I say that only because sometimes it's convenient to have the pressure sensitivity on the face instead of on the shoulder buttons). Finally, and this one actually matters a little bit, make the plug in for this controller to the system the same as the next GB's link adapter plug in. That way, all you need is the link adapter and you don't have to go out and buy the console to portable adapter cord. Important if you want people USING that system feature.

As far as the system, here's another idea. Make the next GB and the next console share this ability I'm about to talk about. The ability to link the system and portable to each other even without games that support the feature! Why do this? When you select "show GB image" on the console and the portable has booted seeing this connection, the portable will send the data straight to the screen via the console! Instant super game boy, without an adapter, and perfect emulation (since it's not emulating, you ARE playing it on your GB).

Should they put the memory card slot in the controller or on the system? Well, some have complained about only two slots, so controller would solve that. Eh, what the heck. If the controller connector has decent speed (meaning of course that the next GB connection would also have decent speed) then this isn't a problem.

Lastly, the much vaunted DVD/CD playback ability. At first, it seems easy. I mean, all they need to do is add code to support it right? That shouldn't raise the price of the system at ALL! However, not quite. For CDs, they would have to add a CD laser to the assembly, which would increase cost just for CD playback. With the PS2, they were going to use CDs anyway for smaller PS2 games and for backwards compatibility, so there was no added cost. CD audio playback was added merely because they could see no reason at all not to add it (the data for CD playback is just stored on teh same chip containing everything else about the OS). For the XBox, they wanted that CD image burning feature so they were willing to pay the cost of adding hte laser. The question is this. Do we really care about adding that CD burning thing to the next Nintendo system? Hmm, well as lazy reminded me when I decided to inslut the MS thing, there ARE situations where storing your own music can come in SUPER useful to gameplay itself, like in those "play the music" games that are popular and trippy as of late.

Next is the DVD feature. Now this would use the same laser, so there's no hardware added, just software, and that's easy! Or is it? Remember, the DVD group controls usage of DVD movie playback, and royalties must be paid whenever the ability to play back DVD movies is added to anything. This adds to cost. The solution? Do what MS did! Just put the DVD playback drivers in the remote control package, thus making DVD playback impossible without the kit! In this manner, royalties are paid in the sales of the REMOTE, not for the system. In other words, DVD playback is cheap and easy to add, for Nintendo. They merely need to be willing to sell the remote accessory, since merely using the DVD format alone means the capability is pretty much built in save for the drivers and program for playing back the DVDs.

So for these, the second is an obvious addition if they go the MS way. The first, CDs, is something they just need to pick on their own. If they actually decide to use SD cards as memory cards from the START (that is, the slots on the controllers or system, whichever they pick, are for SD cards, no adapter required), then they could just have the user download MP3s from their computer and use them that way.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. Remember, after that analysis of OB1's stuff, it all was minor unimportant things I'd just LIKE to see, but are hardly important for Nintendo's success.

The MAIN THINGS are as follows:

Launch around the time (maybe earlier) of the PS3 launch. Have a decent number of AAA titles out at launch. Make one of these an online FPS with decent graphics (the single player is irrelevent, they could just have 10 short levels, just make the multiplayer fun). Promise, and DELIVER, more AAA games (a couple more) in a few months. Try to keep up the momentum using 3rd party support.

Put the HD and online adapter in the system straight from the start, not as add ons! Making the HD removable would be a plus, as would adding narrowband modem ability to the system. Have some online games (I mentioned an example above) at launch, using either Sony's system or MS's system (or Sony's then MS's later on). Keep up the online support!

Backwards compatibility! If the memory card format is quite different than the old GCN format, then simply creating a classic GCN card partition on the card (manageble from the menu, sounds hard but I'm sure it can be streamlined into a simple "create file" process, it would look like a folder among the list of next gen saves, opening the folder would show saved GCN games, and the system would manage the files in such a way as that the GCN games would only see that folder).

These three elaborate but essentially simple things should allow Nintendo to do VERY well. I say this with all the economical experience of a tape worm.

Quote:I don't know about you, but I love the look of my GCN (I got black, they didn't have any other color at that store). Nothing wrong with "indigo" (well technically, purple isn't listed in the colors of the rainbow, so maybe it's MORE accurate, since all you ever really need is seven colors, this statement was intented for laughs...idiots....don't tell me why we need more than seven colors, just laugh at the sillyness of what I said...) when others are there to get. I've never heard anyone make fun of the GCN's look, ever. That handle doesn't look like a lunch box handle (and what's wrong with that? Construction workers have lunch boxes!), it looks perfectly functional. The only problem is it's SUPPOSED to be a cube, but you don't even need a ruler to see that it's "deeper" than it is high or wide, thus meaning it's not a cube at all. For that matter, I do believe the Q is the nicest console I have ever seen, and others agree. ALL consoles look like toys compaired to the look of the Q.

Like I said, I like the look of the system. However mainstream America does think that it looks like a toy. Every single non-gamer friend that I have thinks that the PS2 and X-Box are the "cool" systems and that the Gamecube is the little kid's toy, and that it looks like a Barney lunch box.

Quote:The fifth thing is just fan service. Most casual gamers don't care about surround sound or HDTV support. In fact, most casuals I meet just hook up the ol' RF modulator to the new system they bought and hook that up to their 15' TV with VCR combo built in. I'm just BARELY above that with the advantage of not needing an RF modulator . This Digital 2 thing sounds pretty sweet from what I've heard in stores, and I can't really tell the difference between that and genuine stuff. Still, I can see that it would be a nice addition. Might as well make it support 6.1. If they are goign to bother with HDTV, they really need to get games supporting higher resolutions that new HDTVs are capable of. Push it to the thousands for starters, then higher. Still though, this isn't something that will sell systems to the masses. I don't know anyone who's ever used the surround sound or hdtv abilities of their PS2, XBox, or GCN.

Oh I disagree with that. While most people aren't hardcore a/v freaks, a lot of people have some sort of surround sound set-up in their homes, and HDTV's are becoming more and more popular. When Joe Casual goes to Best Buy looking for a new gaming system, the clerk is going to tell him the main differences between the consoles and will definitely use the 5.1 support as a strong selling point, even if Joe Casual does not yet have a 5.1 sound system. He will probably get one down the line and it would be nice to have a system that supports it. With DVDs being so popular more and more people are buying good surround sound systems, and game systems supporting 5.1 sound is becoming a standard.

Quote:"We need an 8th." Yes you do! Backwards compatibility! This REALLY helped sell the PS2 even when it had barely any games! People wanted to play many PS1 games, but realized the new system was out, why not buy that to play them? Same with the GBC and the GBA! People who never owned the old systems before those two bought them to play the old titles as much as they did to play the new! Nintendo has two experiences with backwards compatibility, and Sony has the success of one. Backwards compatility sells systems! So, just have a nice inner groove (well, most CD trays do) for GCN games and let us play them.

I forgot about that. Backwards compatiblity is definitely a must.

First, DJ, understanding a post that long is WAY easier if you use QUOTES to make it clear what is replying to what...

Quote:The only problem is it's SUPPOSED to be a cube, but you don't even need a ruler to see that it's "deeper" than it is high or wide, thus meaning it's not a cube at all.

With a GB Player its a perfect cube...

Quote:uge thing hurting Nintendo though, although certain ports would be multidisk if they had to occur. What I want to see is some numbers regarding how much pirating the GCN has had compaired to the XBox and PS2 (compairing to XBox would be better as they are very close to GCN sales so it's easier to see the ratio) so we can see exactly how much good this copy protection scheme has done.

Is there GC pirating? Well, there may be a little bit somewhere, but its not like PS2 or X-Box where anyone with a internet connection (or a handy rental store), a modchip, and a DVD burner can play any game they want... i've seen lots of PS2, Dreamcast, and X-Box games out there available for burning if you have a modchip, but nothing for the Cube...

Quote: I don't know anyone who's ever used the surround sound or hdtv abilities of their PS2, XBox, or GCN.

Same here... I've never seen a HDTV outside of stores...

Quote:May I suggest a medieval theme with crossbows and magic bolts? I haven't played that kind of FPS since some really old game for PC (wasn't that good, but it was a nice change of pace from Wolfenstein and Doom).

Probably Hexen or Heretic? Or their sequels?

Quote:"We need an 8th." Yes you do! Backwards compatibility! This REALLY helped sell the PS2 even when it had barely any games! People wanted to play many PS1 games, but realized the new system was out, why not buy that to play them? Same with the GBC and the GBA!

Yeah, that's really a must, especially when both competitors probably will have it...

Quote:They should adjust the memory system so that the maximum number of files is equal to the maximum number of blocks on the memory unit. In fact, just use kilobytes and a varient of the FAT system. No royalties involved, and it's already established! It works FINE for Sony (who did both) and MS (who just used a FAT system varient).

Yeah, that'd be great. Blocks and pages are stupid... big memory cards would be great too. Though harddrives help a lot here...

Quote:When making the few controller, they might have some innovative ideas in mind (might not, not much more that can be done unless something brilliant comes along), but mainly just move that Z button (they have to keep all those buttons due to backwards compatibility). Fill in the two buttons you removed from the 6 button setup to make that falsly innovative tetris shape design (come on, they just cut out the upper left and upper right buttons from a 6 button setup to make that). Add the select button back to it. Give a click feature to the sticks. Make the A button (maybe the B button) pressure sensitive (only one or two need to be made pressure sensitive, and I say that only because sometimes it's convenient to have the pressure sensitivity on the face instead of on the shoulder buttons). Finally, and this one actually matters a little bit, make the plug in for this controller to the system the same as the next GB's link adapter plug in. That way, all you need is the link adapter and you don't have to go out and buy the console to portable adapter cord. Important if you want people USING that system feature.

Yes. clickable analog sticks, analog face buttons, the Z button in a usable place, and BRING BACK THE OTHER TWO FACE BUTTONS!

Select would be great too... :)

Oh, and they won't do this, but it would be great if they would make it like the N64 where the controllers don't pull out of the system unless you REALLY pull on them...

Quote:As far as the system, here's another idea. Make the next GB and the next console share this ability I'm about to talk about. The ability to link the system and portable to each other even without games that support the feature! Why do this? When you select "show GB image" on the console and the portable has booted seeing this connection, the portable will send the data straight to the screen via the console! Instant super game boy, without an adapter, and perfect emulation (since it's not emulating, you ARE playing it on your GB).

It'd be cool but it would require special cable things (for the video feed...) and they want money from those GB Players...

Quote:Should they put the memory card slot in the controller or on the system? Well, some have complained about only two slots, so controller would solve that. Eh, what the heck. If the controller connector has decent speed (meaning of course that the next GB connection would also have decent speed) then this isn't a problem.

Restore them to the gamepads, no question.

Quote:Lastly, the much vaunted DVD/CD playback ability.

It'd be cool to be able to put CDs on a harddrive, and play DVDs... but I just don't see the need for either one. They aren't very important to gaming, really, and make piracy way easier...

Quote: So for these, the second is an obvious addition if they go the MS way. The first, CDs, is something they just need to pick on their own. If they actually decide to use SD cards as memory cards from the START (that is, the slots on the controllers or system, whichever they pick, are for SD cards, no adapter required), then they could just have the user download MP3s from their computer and use them that way.

That would be cool... though I VERY much doub that they'll go with SD Cards.

Quote:Like I said, I like the look of the system. However mainstream America does think that it looks like a toy. Every single non-gamer friend that I have thinks that the PS2 and X-Box are the "cool" systems and that the Gamecube is the little kid's toy, and that it looks like a Barney lunch box.

But the black one looks perfectly fine and not toylike... thats what I have...

Quote:Oh I disagree with that. While most people aren't hardcore a/v freaks, a lot of people have some sort of surround sound set-up in their homes, and HDTV's are becoming more and more popular. When Joe Casual goes to Best Buy looking for a new gaming system, the clerk is going to tell him the main differences between the consoles and will definitely use the 5.1 support as a strong selling point, even if Joe Casual does not yet have a 5.1 sound system. He will probably get one down the line and it would be nice to have a system that supports it. With DVDs being so popular more and more people are buying good surround sound systems, and game systems supporting 5.1 sound is becoming a standard.

I think you overestimate the number of people with HDTVs and/or 5.1 sound systems... but it is true that they will be used as selling points whether people have the stuff or not.

Well there's two differences of opinion. Oh well, I'll not debate any further on those issues, except to ask you OB1 if you agree that the Q is the sleekest looking console ever?

On the things we agree with, I too think a select button would be nice. Also, yeah I guess the slot on the controller would be good. You know, if they did decide to do a headset that's the best place to plug it in, right on top of the controller, so the cord for the headset part wouldn't have to stretch across the room. Eh, maybe that is better off. Not a major concern to me but oh well.

Yeah, I should use the quote feature more than my current usage, which is 0. I suppose that would make it easier to read. I know I myself get annoyed when I have to constantly scroll up to the post someone's responding to to read what point is being responded to.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - CartoonDevil - 8th April 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Well there's two differences of opinion. Oh well, I'll not debate any further on those issues, except to ask you OB1 if you agree that the Q is the sleekest looking console ever?

The coolest looking console ever is the Nintendo 64. It's sleek, sexy curves look far cooler than the block of a cube that Nintendo designed this generation.

Eh, curves are old skool! The sleekest thing NOW is sharp lines with very small but still visible curves at the angles. Just look at the newest cell phone, laptop, and Gameboy :D designs.

Yes this is intended for humor purposes.

We're not talking about the GameCube, Devil, we're talking about the Q:

[Image: q-image-480.jpg]

N64 doesn't compare.

What's wrong with the GameCube controller? I hear a ton of people complaining about the controller. Its perfectly designed, all the buttons and analog sticks are in just the right spots, all easily accessible, and perfectly sized. Someone please tell me what the problem with it is.

I've got to agree... the N64 is the best looking system I've ever seen... and its completely silent, unlike any CD based system...

Oh, they don't make that much noise. The most noise my Cube has ever made is the laser moving quickly from one part of the disc to another and making a little clicking sound.

The Cube (well mine anyway...) makes a quiet whirr all the time... and a louder noise when it reads the disc... while the N64, like all systems with no fans or CD-ROM drives, is completely silent...

But that's not the main reason I like it best... though that is part of it. I just think that the N64 has a better design... its cooler looking. The Cube is nice too, but not as good as the N64. Though it is admittedly easy to transport, its portability is hurt a bit by how the power supply is external... a very annoying fact, I must say...

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - CartoonDevil - 8th April 2003

Quote:Originally posted by EdenMaster
What's wrong with the GameCube controller? I hear a ton of people complaining about the controller. Its perfectly designed, all the buttons and analog sticks are in just the right spots, all easily accessible, and perfectly sized. Someone please tell me what the problem with it is.

The problems that I have with the GameCube controller are as follows:

- Not enough face buttons. The N64 had six face buttons, how come we went backwards in time to the SNES era and only four face buttons?

- The lack of double shoulder buttons. The Z-button is awkward to use, and completely unbalanced, meaning you either have to hold your controller differently in each hand, or you have to take your finger off the R-button in order to use the Z-button. Unacceptable.

- There is no expansion slot on the controller, whether for memory cards, microphone connection (for future online play), etc.

On a slightly different subject:

My webcam is acting up, so I had to use a picture off the web, instead of one I made personally. The N64 just looks so cool! Don't you love how the curve of the casing perfectly matches the curve of the cartridge. It's so sleek and smooth. Even the Q doesn't beat it in terms of visual appeal. I especially enjoy being able to tell at a glance what game is actually in my console. With my GameCube, I have to open the lid to check, which gets annoying.

No this is the coolest-looking system ever:

[Image: News_Gamecube_GameCube_NES_1.jpg]

:D

Quote:But the black one looks perfectly fine and not toylike... thats what I have...

Yes, it does. But when Nintendo was advertising the Gamecube in 2001 and the first half of 2002 they always showed the purple one.

Quote:I think you overestimate the number of people with HDTVs and/or 5.1 sound systems... but it is true that they will be used as selling points whether people have the stuff or not.

HDTV sales are rapidly rising and sound systems that support at least Dolby Digital 5.1 are pretty common in America. I could get you actual sales figures, but that would take work. I have a bunch of friends and one sibling who are in consumer electronic sales and they could probably get me some nationwide sales figures, but that would be a silly thing to ask, don't you think?

Quote:HDTV sales are rapidly rising and sound systems that support at least Dolby Digital 5.1 are pretty common in America. I could get you actual sales figures, but that would take work. I have a bunch of friends and one sibling who are in consumer electronic sales and they could probably get me some nationwide sales figures, but that would be a silly thing to ask, don't you think?

You care, but I couldn't care less about either one...

Quote:Yes, it does. But when Nintendo was advertising the Gamecube in 2001 and the first half of 2002 they always showed the purple one.

True... it should definitely have been the black one... it might have helped sales too...

Quote:The problems that I have with the GameCube controller are as follows:

- Not enough face buttons. The N64 had six face buttons, how come we went backwards in time to the SNES era and only four face buttons?

Yeah... it was awful to see it with just 4. As you said, why the time warp? I thought we'd progressed past the era of just 4 face buttons... it was good while it lasted I guess...

Quote:- The lack of double shoulder buttons. The Z-button is awkward to use, and completely unbalanced, meaning you either have to hold your controller differently in each hand, or you have to take your finger off the R-button in order to use the Z-button. Unacceptable.

Double shoulder buttons are the worst thing added to gamepads since... well ever... the Z is useless, and the 2nd shoulder buttons the PS2 has are the worst placed and hardest to use gamepad buttons I've ever had the displeasure of using... except that Z button of course.

It should have 12 buttons (both PS2 and X-Box have 12...), in the X-Box style: 6 face, 2 start/select, 2 shoulder, 2 clickable analog sticks... that'd be awesome!

Quote:- There is no expansion slot on the controller, whether for memory cards, microphone connection (for future online play), etc.

Yeah... another flaw. It was very nice in the N64 to have that port... it allowed the Rumble, Memory, Transfer, and Microphone Paks... and the NGC? None of those...

Quote:On a slightly different subject:

My webcam is acting up, so I had to use a picture off the web, instead of one I made personally. The N64 just looks so cool! Don't you love how the curve of the casing perfectly matches the curve of the cartridge. It's so sleek and smooth. Even the Q doesn't beat it in terms of visual appeal. I especially enjoy being able to tell at a glance what game is actually in my console. With my GameCube, I have to open the lid to check, which gets annoying.

Yeah, another advantage... though I like it most just because of how cool it looks... :)

The other stuff (quiet, can see the game, power block is attached to the system, and THE CONTROLLERS DONT PULL OUT CONSTANTLY (man is that annoying with the NGC!)) are just more reasons its the best. :)

Oh, and I think in many ways I still like the original name of Ultra 64 more...

Quote:You care, but I couldn't care less about either one...

You may not care, but Nintendo sure as hell better. This is what the thread is about, remember?

Quote:I especially enjoy being able to tell at a glance what game is actually in my console. With my GameCube, I have to open the lid to check, which gets annoying.

They could make a transparent lid so that you can see the DVDs while they're in the system. That would be very cool. As a matter of fact, somebody could make a custom lid for the Gamecube to fix that very tiny problem. The jewel on the lid of the system comes off, remember?

*checks system*

Uh... never mind. When you take off the jewel there's another layer so you wouldn't be able to see through it.

*whistles, rubs foot into ground*

How could would it be if Nintendo made a completely transparent Gamecube? Eh? Would that be cool or what?

There were transparent N64s and lots of transparent Game Boys of all types, so I don't see why not...

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - OB1 - 9th April 2003

But those were colored so it wasn't completely clear.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2003

Well, I do know of at least one uncolored and completely transparent shell. That was one of the original (not even pocket, first model of the original GameBoy here). It looked about as gimicky as most completely transparent toys released around that time though...

Making an area that's transparent in the CD tray would be good though, unless Nintendo went the route that everything else is going and had the automated front loading slide in/out tray. I have no problem with that myself.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Darunia - 9th April 2003

That's the lamest gimmick ever, making colorful or invisible consoles so that slack jawed morons will buy them. If they had some good 3rd party support, they wouldn't HAVE TO do that anyway!

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - A Black Falcon - 9th April 2003

My GBC is transparent purple, as are two of my N64 controllers... they may be shaded purple but you can see into them just fine... like all of Nintendo's shaded-colored consoles and controllers...

Oh, and yeah, there was a completely clear GB, from the Play it Loud line...

And Darunia... the clear-colored (GBA has other colors, the GBC has the purple one, original GB has the clear one...) GB's are very cool... I love how you can see in it. Same with the clear purple N64 controllers... cool. I wish Nintendo had clear NGC controllers... I'd get one. :)

They have those stupid half clear controllers. Solid in the front and clear in the back. I have no idea why they didn't go clear all the way.

That sounds odd looking... I'd think they'd look better all clear...

Haven't you seen that controller?

[Image: gccontclear.jpg]

I might have seen one once, not sure... and its definitely odd looking.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Darunia - 9th April 2003

It's a freak. Burn it. Either be all clear or not.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - CartoonDevil - 9th April 2003

*is all clear*

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - EdenMaster - 9th April 2003

I guess it's just a matter of preference on the controller issue. The GameCube controller fits my hands nicely, and while the PS2 controller isn't uncomfortable, it's just not as good. Also, the controller has enough buttons. We're not talking about the next Steel Battallion controller. We don't need overkill. Every game I have for the GameCube (all 22 of them) has no need for additional buttons.

A bigger d-pad would have been nice. The GC controller is crap for fighting games and Tony Hawk because of the tiny d-pad.

Tell "the NGC has enough buttons" to anyone who played SSX Tricky for X-Box or PS2 then NGC... the lack of 4 buttons hurts that game a lot...

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - big guy - 9th April 2003

i own the 1/2 solid 1/2 clear controller and while it should be all clear, i think it's more fun than an all purple one. but it's the one controller of the 3 i have that acts up. the a button doesn't have much spring in it. it works, but doesn't feel like it does. oh well, i'll replace it one day.

Next Nintendo console before PS3 and X-Box 2? - Private Hudson - 9th April 2003

The NGC controller has a nice ergonomic design, but it's lacks functionarlity, and options (pressure sensitivity,clickable analogues etc.). Not to mention poor button placement.

The Clicking shoulder buttons are nice, but I still prefer the DC/XBox triggers.

Yeah... I definitely prefer triggers, like the X-Box, DC, or Sidewinder gamepad, to any kind of shoulder buttons... analog buttons don't seem especially important, but clickable analog sticks and better button placement (Z and the too small D-Pad) would be nice...