Tendo City
DIXIE - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: DIXIE (/showthread.php?tid=4896)

DIXIE - Weltall - 3rd July 2008

SOUTHERNS HEAR YOUR COUNTRY CALLIN'!
[Image: Confederate_Rebel_Merchandise.jpg][Image: hairy-nascar-fan.jpg]
[Image: T790871A.JPG]
[Image: 543-the-budweiser-girls.jpg]

DIXIE - Dark Jaguar - 3rd July 2008

Let's see... racist symbols... yeah.

"But the confederate flag is just a symbol of southern pride, it isn't completely about slavery!"

"Right, like the swastika is just a symbol of german pride..."

DIXIE - alien space marine - 3rd July 2008

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVZq73zuOSc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVZq73zuOSc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't give shit since I am Canadian.

Southern Avenger defends the Dixie lee, I actually see Confederate flags being draped in some homes in Canada.

Was that a parody or what?

Yeah, that was insane. Yes there were a number of economical and other factors that were part of the cause for civil war, but "it was about slavery" isn't just a blanket and glib description of it, it really was the main catalyst that led into things, and to say "hey, it was about our independence" while just sort of ignoring the clear racial hatred that sparked their anger over the ending of slavery (regardless of the economical impact ending it would have, I seriously don't care about that) is pretty callous. When the north was advertising freedom and the south was insistant on maintaining their "right" to decide if slavery should be legal or not, what do you THINK the slaves are going to see the confederate flag as a symbol for? Of COURSE the flag of the "nation" that insists on maintaining a barbaric practice is going to be associated with that same practice.

Oh, lovely "other people were eviler" argument. Right, and Stalin killed more people than Hitler. I love how people attempt to argue that people should not get so uptight about an attrocity because worse ones have been committed.

Notice that few are arguing that the confederate flag should be outright banned. Peaceful protesting and foaming rants about that flag are just as protected by freedom of speech as your right to hang that symbol up. Freedom of speech is not freedom FROM criticism. If anything the right to criticize others for their opinions is one of the main reasons we have freedom of speech.

Want to hang up that flag? Go ahead, show your misplaced (in my opinion) pride. However, don't suddenly start claiming discrimination and oppression when someone else starts criticizing you for it. You want discrimination and oppression? Try what black people have had to live with for generations, and THEN try to tell me with a straight face that people criticizing your choice in decor even comes close. Get physically attacked or barred from entering most public places, then you've got me on your side. Until then, I'll criticize your flag, and your attempts to defend it. I won't, however, say that you have "no right" to criticize the people criticizing you. I'll just say you have poorly reasoned arguments and play the discrimination card far too much for a claimed enemy of "political correctness".

DIXIE - alien space marine - 3rd July 2008

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Was that a parody or what?

Yeah, that was insane. Yes there were a number of economical and other factors that were part of the cause for civil war, but "it was about slavery" isn't just a blanket and glib description of it, it really was the main catalyst that led into things, and to say "hey, it was about our independence" while just sort of ignoring the clear racial hatred that sparked their anger over the ending of slavery (regardless of the economical impact ending it would have, I seriously don't care about that) is pretty callous. When the north was advertising freedom and the south was insistant on maintaining their "right" to decide if slavery should be legal or not, what do you THINK the slaves are going to see the confederate flag as a symbol for? Of COURSE the flag of the "nation" that insists on maintaining a barbaric practice is going to be associated with that same practice.

Oh, lovely "other people were eviler" argument. Right, and Stalin killed more people than Hitler. I love how people attempt to argue that people should not get so uptight about an attrocity because worse ones have been committed.

Notice that few are arguing that the confederate flag should be outright banned. Peaceful protesting and foaming rants about that flag are just as protected by freedom of speech as your right to hang that symbol up. Freedom of speech is not freedom FROM criticism. If anything the right to criticize others for their opinions is one of the main reasons we have freedom of speech.

Want to hang up that flag? Go ahead, show your misplaced (in my opinion) pride. However, don't suddenly start claiming discrimination and oppression when someone else starts criticizing you for it. You want discrimination and oppression? Try what black people have had to live with for generations, and THEN try to tell me with a straight face that people criticizing your choice in decor even comes close. Get physically attacked or barred from entering most public places, then you've got me on your side. Until then, I'll criticize your flag, and your attempts to defend it. I won't, however, say that you have "no right" to criticize the people criticizing you. I'll just say you have poorly reasoned arguments and play the discrimination card far too much for a claimed enemy of "political correctness".

Your talking about the southern avenger's video right?

Yes.

DIXIE - A Black Falcon - 3rd July 2008

Agreed, that was a pretty stupid video. Ignoring the vast difference between a symbol which exists for the sole purpose of hating black people, like the Confederate flag does, and one that existed for other (benign or positive) reasons and had some negative connotations added to it along the way, like the American of British flags, is just stupid.

Because anyone who says that the confederacy existed for any other reason than the perpetuation of slavery is lying.

Quote:Yeah, that was insane. Yes there were a number of economical and other factors that were part of the cause for civil war,

All relating to the central slavery issue, I would say.

DIXIE - lazyfatbum - 4th July 2008

laf