Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 5th May 2011

DS
--
Dragon Quest IX - $10, new - from a Best Buy website sale for Easter. $7 plus delivery. Good music and graphics (I particularly like the upper screen map), but the gameplay's the same as usual for this series...

NES (both cart only)
--
Alpha Mission - the three games below were $15 total (buy two get one free, one $10 game (the next one) and two $5.). This game is an okay but unspectacular mid '80s shmup. Sort of feels like an improved Star Force.
Felix the Cat - Fun late NES platformer from 1992. Seems like it might be a bit easy, but its got good gameplay and graphics for sure, well worth getting.

Xbox
--
RallySport Challenge - complete

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th May 2011

PC - jewelcase only games
--
Circle of Blood - $2 (I'd been looking for this one, the first of the Broken Sword series. I have the second and third ones from a DD sale, but didn't have the first one, and my patience has paid off with a cheap copy of the game! Awesome. :))
SimIsle - $1 (shrinkwrapped)

Also for $3 I got a USB Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad. I don't know, I have a better pad in the Saitek P990 of course but I kind of wanted this too, this is one of the best dpad-only PC gamepads ever, and while I have a gameport one its dpad started failing over ten years ago.

NES
--
Monster Party - cart only, $3 - I think I've heard a bit about this one, interesting find. :)

Playstation
--
Cyberspeed - $9, complete longbox copy (cardboard style longbox) - I'm kind of expecting this to be mediocre, it looks bland (1-player only, too), but it's a futuristic racing game I haven't seen before in person I think and a 1995 longbox title, so I got it anyway despite the maybe high price.

SNES
--
Taz-Mania - $4, cart only - the "running into the screen" Taz game.

Game Boy
--
Yoshi's Cookie - $2, cart only - Puzzle game, haven't played this one before.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2011

A bunch of interesting Sega stuff... I got some. :)

32X
---
Cosmic Carnage - $5.25, cart only - mediocre fighting game with lots of scaling to show off some of the 32X's capabilities.

Sega 32X CD
---
Slam City Starring Scottie Pippen - $4, complete (4 CD game) - Digital Pictures FMV basketball game. You can guess how not good it is, but I couldn't resist.

Sega CD
---
Demolition Man - $4, complete - port of the Genesis sidescrolling and topdown action game with video clips from the movie and CD audio added. Nothing amazing, but hopefully it'll be alright.

Sega Master System
---
Gangster Town - $3,50, cart in case (no manual) - lightgun shooter. Light gun required to play. This game is hard, light guns aren't the most accurate things and beyond that I'm terrible with them. And this game is unforgiving, too, as was so often true with Sega's SMS games -- no continues or extra lives here, once you run out of health it's game over then and there. I've only gotten to level two so far. Still though, it does have solid graphics and fine gameplay for an 8-bit lightgun game.

Saturn
---
Shanghai: Triple Threat - $4, complete - Decent Saturn version of the tile-matching classic. The only real flaw is that it doesn't save anything, and progress in arcade mode is only saved with passwords. Bah. But other than that it's good. Four game types, several modes.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2011

Wii
--
TrackMania: Build to Race - $30, new (great series, it's pretty cool they made a Wii one.)

PC
--
X-Blades - $10

Also I got a 2TB HDD, so I have lots of free hdd space now. It was needed, my hdds were pretty much full. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2011

PC (discs in jewelcase (no manual) only, $4 each)
--
Warlords III - Awesome find, just great... classic PC strategy game I didn't get back then and always have been interested in. I remember playing Warlords II and the demo of this game, simple but good games.

Fantasy General -- Another great find! This game was SSI's attempt at a fantasy wargame. It runs in the Panzer General engine, but with fantasy units and such instead of WWII stuff. Pretty cool concept, I've always had some interest in trying it but never did... now I definitely will.

The rest of this (ie everything below) I got for a total of $17.

Sega CD
--
ESPN National Hockey Night - complete, marked at $1 but I think it was included free.
Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin - complete, $2 (I already have this, but disc only. It was worth the low price for a complete copy, it's got good cover art.)

Game Boy
--
F-1 Race - $1, cart only

Saturn
--
Black Fire - $3 - complete - Saturn only helicopter sim from Novalogic. Supports the Mission Stick, and if I didn't have one I'd never have bought this -- this kind of game would be so much worse with a dpad...
Blast Chamber - $5, complete - 4 player (though I don't have a multitap) action game. Haven't tried it yet. Also on PSX; I do have that multitap, but I like the Saturn more... maybe I should get a Saturn multitap now.
Last Bronx - $4, complete - another semi-3d Sega fighting game. One of the later Saturn ones, this is from '98. It's a weapon based fighter, but like most of Sega's Saturn fighting games there aren't individual 3d movement buttons so the gameplay is somewhat 2d (of them I think only Fighters Megamix has real 3d movement; this game is from after that one, though, so it really should have... oh well.).

Dreamcast
--
Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 - $2 - I have all of the games in this collection on their original platforms (ten Genesis games, Virtua Cop 2, and Sega Swirl), but for that price I thought it was worth it, even though I know it does have poor sound quality, etc. Maybe Virtua Cop 2 looks better than it does on Saturn?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th May 2011

PS2 (disc only games)
--
Dragon Rage - $2.80, 3DO game where you fly around as a dragon and burn things. Hopefully decent.
Gradius III & IV - $2.80. Ports of the arcade versions of these two classic shmups.

PC - All of this is from Goodwill. Yeah, another pretty darn good PC game selection at a Goodwill, happens often doesn't it... All games are jewelcase only or disc in generic case titles.
--
Road Rash - $2, disc in generic case
Test Drive 5 - $2, disc in generic case
Fade to Black - $2, disc in generic case
Outpost 2 - $2, jewelcase only
Shadow Warrior - $1, jewelcase only (manual is in jewelcase)
SimCity 4 - $2, jewelcase only (2 discs)
Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue! - $2, jewelcase only (a classic edutainment game we had the DOS version of in the early '90s, but I haven't played in a long time... I'd been hoping to find this one sometime. :)) (startup guide is in jewelcase)
Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna - $2, jewelcase only (3 discs) - the addon to Dungeon Siege, included the original game too. Not the greatest game, but eh, why not for $2.
Mata Hari - $2, jewelcase in paper cover (probably sold this way) - 2009 adventure game. I'd heard about it and thought it sounded at least a little interesting, so it's hopefully a nice find.
Lords of Magic Special Edition - $1, jewelcase only
Star Trek Voyager Limited Edition Entertainment Utility - $1 - Sounds like a lame collection of stuff, but I like Voyager so I got it anyway. Also, it was just a dollar.

Also got 2GB of RAM so I have 4GB now.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd May 2011

DS
--
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals - $10, card only - the action-RPG remake of Lufia 2

PS2 (the next four games were $10 total)
--
Armored Core 2 - mech game

Gamecube
--
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Deception (have already for xbox, but GC has two exclusive characters so why not it is the better version)

Xbox
--
Star Wars: Obi-Wan - I'm expecting it to be bad, but got it anyway. :(
NARC - $1, disc only

PS1
--
Ball Breakers - $1, disc only

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 27th May 2011

So I picked up a number of games recently.

Conker's Pocket Tales for Gameboy/Gameboy Color. This one's an odd duck. It's one of those mixed games with a black and white and color mode included. What's odd about it is that the black and white one is almost a different game. The levels are all mapped out differently. The problem is that the moment you plug it into the opposing mode, it erases all the save files. It can't save progress for both at once, even though it has 3 save files. It would be nice if it did, and simply had some warning like "this file can't be loaded on a Gameboy Color, play it on the original Gameboy or Super Gameboy", but as it is, you have to pick which mode to play and then kiss your progress goodbye when you play the other one. The only solution would be to buy two copies, but be sure to label them somehow so you don't accidentally plug them into the wrong system. As I said, it immediately erases the data on startup, no confirmation, no warning, nothing, just bam. Other than that, it's a fun Zelda-like game from a more innocent time before Conker's 18th Birthday, IE, the original "The Hangover".

Banjo Kazooie - Grunty's Revenge for GBA. This would be one of the last Rare-made games for Nintendo, produced not BY Nintendo but by THQ. It's a really good conversion of Banjo gameplay into 2D. Very nice, but not quite up to the level of the first two games, mainly because of how incredibly short it is.

Speaking of Banjo, I love the work done in porting the N64 games to the 360. Aside from a few minor gripes, they're better for it. What many don't realize is they actually fully instated Stop N Swop as it was originally intended! You "unlock" the 6 eggs and key in the first one through Nuts and Bolts (don't worry if you didn't like it, they get unlocked just by making a save file from it, and even the demo will do for that). Then, Tooie will check your Banjo Kazooie save data and if it finds the eggs and key in there, it'll import them. You hatch them all and get a number of new bonuses, including the old ones, and the key still gets the mega glowbo. As for the N64 cartridges hidden all over? They now have 3 new eggs, bronze, silver and gold. They're part of "Stop N Swop II". As they put it in the game "Oh no, not again!". Here's hoping that Rare is able to get their act together and deliver on a truly amazing Banjo Threeie: The Apology.

F-Zero for the SNES. I rented it a few times when it first came out, but never owned it until now. This one I'm especially proud of. Someone had a garage sale where they were clearing out, among other things, some left over stuff from a warehouse that got closed down. Among that left over stuff was a big case with 8 completely unopened copies of F-Zero. Not even kidding, he was letting them all go for $8 a piece. I love it when people don't realize what they have. Now, here's where I'm stupid. I bought one and left, when what I should have done was bought the whole set! I don't know how much a completely unopened copy of F-Zero goes for these days, but I bet it would be more than $8. Anyway, I actually didn't open for a few days, but eventually decided there's no point on just having it as a relic, I get these games to play them. So I opened it, new game smell and all, and everything there was simply mint, as to be expected. Plays perfectly, no save data on it, of course, and yeah, great find. I wonder if I'll ever stumble on something like that again....

Breath of Fire 2. I played this a long time ago, but never owned it. I actually had a copy of the manual sitting around for a long time, and picked this up pretty cheap to go along with it. Apparently it normally sells for about $50 but I snagged it for $15. It was actually covered in marks from a black marker of some sort and didn't start up, so that's probably why it was so cheap. After cleaning it up with Goo Gone (including some alcohol on the contacts and rigorously scrubbing off the corrosion), it looked good as new and played just fine.

Diddy Kong Racing. Yeah, I know that it is now out on the DS, but I never played the original, and I found a good deal. Someone had it for sale in one of those plastic cases from a rental store, manual, "controls" card, and all. Very good condition, and again about $15, so I got it. It had a sticker from Hollywood Video on the back, but that cleaned off pretty nice with the goo gone.

King's Quest 5 Floppy Version. I've had the CD version for some time, but never the floppy edition. I would have skipped out except it was a full set and was only $5. Every one of the floppy disks works perfectly after all this time, which is impressive. It was nice to have the full color manual as well as the "Hint Book". I'll never be lost in Mordack's dungeon again. There are a couple of notable things about this version. Firstly, it's all text with no voice, which is actually a bonus if you ask me considering the low quality of most of the voice acting. Cedric's really not that annoying in text form. It also has a weird kind of copy protection. Every now and then, a dialog pops up saying Graham is "too tired" or something similar and needing a spell to be cast to continue. Wow, actually using the wand for something other than the final battle? Anyway, you need to translate letters into weird characters using the manual to "cast the spell" and then you can keep going (if you don't do it right, the game simply leaves you stuck forever). It is an annoyance, sure, but not that bad. It only seems to happen a couple of times. There's also an odd easter egg if you use two very unlikely items together, a weird scene happens that kills Graham, but shows some dialog with some programmer dedicating this to someone out there. All in all, an interesting version of the game, though honestly KQ5 is one of the worst in the series. Along with it, I got the manual for KQ1 and KQ6, just tossed in with the box for some reason. The old manuals were very nicely made, on parchment style paper with nice illustrations along with a good back story for the game. My friend finally found the copy of the KQ4 manual I loaned over too, so all I'm missing at this point is the original manual for KQ2, another of the worst in the series, but it'd be nice to have the full set.

So that's a lot of old games... Only new game I got was Plants vs Zombies in Steam. I do intend on picking up LA Noire pretty soon. That game looks amazing.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 28th May 2011

Sega Master System
--
Rambo III - $1, cart only - While the other Rambo game for SMS is a top-down shooting game, Ikari Warriors or Commando style, this one is a lightgun shooter. I guess lightgun games for SMS were popular or something, because I have five or six of them now...

As for the games you got... wow, you'd never gotten DKR, really? Amazing...

Also, yeah sealed SNES F-Zero is a pretty awesome find. I've only gotten two sealed classic games since I started collecting (with the SNES in '05), Mega Man X for SNES and Scud for Saturn. I didn't pay much for each ($10 each I think), and did open them because what's the point of having a game if you're not going to play it? It was pretty great to be able to open a seled SNES game, though. I agree, there's nothing like that new-game smell...

As for Conker (GB/C), it deletes without asking you, really? I hadn't remembered that. It is pretty cool that the two games are so different though, it makes you want to play it twice because it'll be a different game each time. It's decent, for a topdown platformer. I'm not the biggest fan of those, really, but it works in Conker as well as it does anywhere. Banjo somehow I don't like quite as much though, I like 2d platformers better sidescrolling than overhead. It just works better that way, and is more fun.

Also, finding complete old PC games is always great, particularly when they're good games like that... I haven't run into any Sierra adventure games like that myself, but it'd be cool if I did. Sierra definitely had great, worth-having manuals and suppliments, for sure!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 28th May 2011

Yeah, it's amazing the amount of work a lot of PC game makers would put into extras in those old games. Gabriel Knight 1 came with a full color comic book as a prologue, for example. Some console games did that too, but not nearly as often. Notable exceptions are Final Fantasy for the NES which came with a guidebook, map, monster compendium, and a couple other odds and ends. Earthbound came with a player's guide, done old school style. Today's player's guides are so dull. Earthbound's was done in the style of a really big newspaper, with headlines and all sorts of extra information and unique artwork.

Now that's not to say everything's bad. When it comes to "feelies", today's games really go over the top, for the collector's editions. Metal tins, figurines, coins of the realm, background books, art books, "making of" DVDs, soundtracks, there's a lot of nice stuff there, but only if you get the limited editions. That said, with a few exceptions, most of it really doesn't add to the game itself. A figurine is just going to sit there, as opposed to a cloth map.

Ya know it's weird. After all these years it still "feels" like I have my PC, even though in essence I've basically gone through 8 different systems or so at this point. Part of it is how all my data just keeps coming along for the ride, and it's always so subtle as the years go on and I upgrade one part and another. So, with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise me so much that I'm having to emulate the very system I'm playing, but it still does. Maybe at some point I'll pick up an Apple II or an Amiga.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 29th May 2011

Sega Master System
--
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - $4.50, cart only - I think this is the second SMS Alex Kidd game, and it's the first one I have for the system (I do have the Genesis game). Hopefully it's good, we'll see.

Game Gear
--
Psychic World - $4.50, game with plastic case. I'd been hoping to find a copy of this game, it's pretty cool that I have. This is a solid sidescrolling action-platformer starring a female psychic warrior. There's also an SMS version (with different graphics, I kind of want it as well); though the original Japanese computer versions are apparently larger (in terms of world size) than the ports, I definitely wanted this.
Desert Strike - cart only, $1
Urban Strike - cart only, $1

N64
--
Mega Man 64 - cart only, $11 - Not so sure that this was worth it, but I caved anyway. Hopefully it isn't quite as bad as I'm expecting, given the price (and it is reasonable, this game isn't cheap).

Quote:Ya know it's weird. After all these years it still "feels" like I have my PC, even though in essence I've basically gone through 8 different systems or so at this point. Part of it is how all my data just keeps coming along for the ride, and it's always so subtle as the years go on and I upgrade one part and another. So, with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise me so much that I'm having to emulate the very system I'm playing, but it still does. Maybe at some point I'll pick up an Apple II or an Amiga.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I don't have everything from my older computers still, sadly some things have been forever lost (yes, I still wish for those things back... :(), but I do have a lot of older stuff of mine from past computers still with me on my current one. Each computer does feel different, I don't agree that they all feel like the same machine, but they also have some similarities thanks to the continuity of stuff and files.

I don't do as much constant smaller upgrades, though; instead we just (and I have) got a machine and stuck with it until replacing it with a newer one, which certainly accounts for some of the difference here.

Also, I wouldn't mind having an Apple II either. :) That's the only Apple product I have positive memories for, it would be neat to have one sometime.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th June 2011

Sega Master System
--
Rastan - cart and case (no manual) - $7 - This game is a pretty good side-scrolling platform-action game. Rastan II (Genesis) was awful, but the first game is good... you explore levels, fight enemies, etc, as a barbarian, and can collect several different weapons along the way, including a sword, mace, and axe. Some of the controls can be a little annoying -- you need to jump from just the right spot to grab onto high-up ropes, for instance -- but it's a pretty good game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2011

Some interesting stuff from Goodwill.

PC (all jewelcase only)
--
Descent II - $2
Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance - $2
Creatures - $2

Genesis
--
Taz-Mania - $1, cart only

Xbox
--
D&D: Heroes - $4 - Great find, this game is somewhat valuable! And it's a Gauntlet-style action-RPG too, and Xbox exclusive. I'd really been wanting it ever since it came out, but it was Xbox only and then expensive... great find!
I also got a loose Xbox for $4. Mine's DVD drive is starting to fade, hopefully this one works better. I need a memory unit now...

Also, I got, for $3, a Super Joy III, one of those famiclones in an N64 controller things. It came with the controller and gun. Unfortunately it didn't have the second controller, but oh well. It's one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Player_Super_Joy_III

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2011

I got an Xbox memory unit, $3. Would be nice to be able to transfer files.

PS2 - disc only games, $1 each, came with two generic cases for the loose discs below
---
Shining Force Neo
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Killzone

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th June 2011

From the flea market. I'd been a while, and they had some okay stuff.

PC (all jewelcase only)
--
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (jewelcase-only release) - $2 - The classic! I have NFS4: HS of course so I don't need this (all of NFS3's tracks are unlockable in 4), but it was just too hard to resist, it's a great game...
Necrodome - $2 - driving action game of some kind I think...
Assassin 2015 - $2 - Awful FPS with lots of prerendered CG movies. I was expecting it to be pretty bad, and it doesn't disappoint.
7th Guest - $1 - FMV adventure game classic.
Alone in the Dark w/ Jack in the Dark - $1 - I have this in a collection, but not on its own, and not with the little bonus mini-title there.

NES - 4 games for $15. Usually they're $5 each, but because I've been a somewhat regular customer she sold me 4 for $15.
--
Solstice - the isometric title... interesting find.
Gauntlet II - The one I only got because it was 4 for 15 (ie this was the 4th tite); yeah this has better graphics than the first NES Gauntlet, but it's just an arcade port instead of an original title, unlike the first one on NES, so it's less interesting. No passwords either, again unlike the first NES game. It does add four player, but there are better NES Gauntlet games than this... still, it is Gauntlet, and has nice cart art, so I got it anyway.
Solomon's Key - the somewhat classic puzzle game. I have this in Tecmo Classic Arcade, but that arcade version has no saving... on the NES there are passwords.
Breakthru - Data East vehicular action arcade game port.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th June 2011

Turbografx-16
--
Dragon Spirit - $8, complete (from Amazon) - good deal for a quality shmup! Quite hard game -- no continues here, and only three lives -- but it is fun.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th June 2011

Sega Master System
--
Y's - $5, cart only - Very cool find! This is Y's 1: Ancient Y's Vanished Omens, the first game in Falcom's still ongoing action-RPG series. It's a very simple little game, but still is a good game. Y's 1 has a very odd combat system where you don't press an attack button -- you just attack when you bump into enemies. Hit them from the front and you'll lose health, hit them on the sides or back and they will. There are some later, improved versions of this game, most notably the Turbo CD version (as well as some more recent remakes, I think the PSP has a good version?), but this version is still interesting to have. Too bad it didn't have the case though. Oh well.

Game Boy
--
TMNT II - $5.25, cart only - The sequel to Konami's side-scrolling action game. It's sort of part platformer, part sidescrolling beat 'em up. The first game was short and pretty easy. I think this one is similar, but I'm not sure. The third one's the real find, it's rarer than the first two, has a more open-world design instead of just linear stages, and is more difficult... I'd love to get a copy of that one. Still though, I haven't played this one before and I'm happy to have it.

N64
--
GT64 Championship Racing - $1, cart only - I got this because it was just a dollar. It's a simmish racer, nothing special, but for an N64 racing game for that price I'm not going to refuse.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 14th June 2011

PC (jewelcase games from Goodwill)
--
Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight - $1.50 - The other part of Mechwarrior 4, now I have all three main parts (MW4, this addon, Mercenaries).
Marble Drop - $1 - Maxis Rube Goldberg-style puzzle game. Comes with Full Tilt Pinball also on the disc. Cool find, I remember the demo being fun. :)
The Messenger - $2 - Dreamcatcher adventure game-
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - $2 - I do also have the PSX version, but I guess it's nice to have it on PC too.

Also I got a transparent black/grey PS2 controller for $3.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th June 2011

$10 for the four. Complete unless noted. Great deal!

PS2
--
Kingdom Hearts - still a $10-20 game at gamestop.
Champions of Norrath (no manual)
Champions II: Return to Arms - Great finds, these are both Snowblind Studios action-RPGs, very much like their BG: Dark Alliance games but in the Everquest world instead of D&D. I've wanted to play them, but they're usually at least $15...

Xbox
--
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2011

Game Gear
--
The Lion King - $2, cart only - I wasn't sure if this would be worth it, so I've passed on copies before. I got it this time though, and actually I think it was a good decision -- this is a pretty good version of the game. The graphics are great and really show off how many colors the GG can put on screen, and the gameplay is good too -- this version doesn't require anywhere near the frustrating precision of the Game Boy version, where you'd take damage if you landed on enemies just off center and could easily miss jumps. Here all of that is much easier, which is awesome. The level designs are different, too; just like how the SNES/Genesis and GB versions are different, the GG version is also different. Each level has a theme based on the theme from one of the original (SNES) version's stages, but with a different layout. In this version for instance level 1 is quite vertical, with lots of climbing and swinging. The ostrich ride in level 2 is as annoying as ever, though, and that's as far as I got this time. There are no continues here of course (as expected from a Sega version... at least on GB you got a couple of continues), so start again from the beginning when you fail. Still, fine version of the game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2011

PC
--
Overlord complete pack - Steam's daily deal (ends at noon or so today) is for Overlord 1+2+addon, for just $5. That's a pretty awesome deal for some games I've really been wanting to play, so I got the collection for sure! The Wii Overlord game is actually really good, I'd like to see if the PC games are as good.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd June 2011

PS2 - $1 each, disc only
--
Todd McFarlane's Evil Prophecy - beat 'em up. Could be fun.
Tribes: Aerial Assault

Genesis
---
Quad Challenge - $2, cart and case (no manual). Racing game...

PC - jewelcase only, $1 each
--
Battleship: Surface Thunder
Falcon 4.0
Jetfighter IV: Fortress America
Silent Hunter II

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2011

Wii - $19 each, complete; wasn't planning on spending this much, but these deals were just too good to pass up.
--
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Genesis
--
Shadowrun - $3, cart only

N64
--
Worms Armageddon - $5, cart only

Sega CD
--
After Burner III - $3, disc in generic jewelcase

PC
--
Sega Rally Revo - $5, used

Also for $6 I got a first-model Playstation, the kind with the red/white/yellow AV out jacks instead of an AV out jack and all the ports, and with the power cable (though no AV cables, oh well), an original-style digital grey PSX controller, and two memory cards, one official Sony and one (surely unreliable I imagine) Mega Memory Card. I wouldn't have got it, but the Sony memory card alone is worth at least $3, and I thought the rest of that stuff probably would be worth the other $3, I hope. I wonder if the system's disc drive works, I don't have high hopes (given how many of them have bad drives) but we'll see.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 23rd June 2011

Be wary of that PS1. Later models have pretty stable drives that work fine, but the first model, the one you have, used plastic for the main railing instead of metal, which warped over time. Pretty much all the PS1 failures can be attributed to those first few models. By the 500x line, they'd changed the drive enough to eliminate that issue completely, so as long as they are well-kept, those ones should work well for some time to come. (Of course, down the years, all of them will eventually fail since all moving parts erode themselves eventually.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2011

Yeah, I'm not really expecting it to work, but the memory card alone easily was worth half that price and the controller, system, mega memory card, and power cord combined might also be worth $3, if I'm lucky and they work...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd June 2011

THIS FUCKING THREAD IS 330 POSTS AND 77% OF ABF'S PERSONAL JOURNAL FOR BUYING CRUMMY USED NINTENDO GENESIS DREAMCAST GAMES FOR $3 AHHHHHH

So pretty much

Quote:The veritable ass load of lame has struck me square in the testicles, just by entering this thread I have lost the will to live.

If you don't want to read it then make other threads, so that there are more posts in these forums!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd June 2011

I'M DOING MY PART RIGHT NOW

I started playing Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future again. I'm just a few levels in. I never could beat that last fucking boss, but this time around...

Been having some Jet Force Gemini cravings too.

That'd be "games I'm playing" not "games I bought" though, right?

That'd be a fine idea for a thread, though...

Not enough interest, best to hijack your topic for 5 minutes.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 25th June 2011

Wow, this PS1 actually works! Plugged it in and put in a disc and it works flawlessly... cool! :)

It has a manufacturing date on the bottom, October 1996. So it's not a launch system, just the first model. I didn't know that they kept making the PS1 with the red/white/yellow ports on the back for over a year, interesting... when exactly was it replaced then?

Also, I opened it up because it's just normal phillips screws and not any kind of security bits, and it seems to have metal inside, not plastic, which probably explains why the disc drive is still working. Looks like metal anyway.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th June 2011

Game Boy
--
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon - $6.25, cart in case. This is a top-down, Super Game Boy Goemon game from 1998. It's okay, but I think I like side-scrolling Goemon more... as a fan of the series though I had to get it.

Game Boy Color
--
Metal Gear Solid - $7.50 - cart only. This game is a popular title and many consider it one of the best GBC games, but first impressions are that I think of it like I do most of the other games in this series... I didn't play much though, just watched the lengthy and somewhat dull intro conversation and then played a little of the game. It's a topdown stealth/action game.

Super Nintendo
--
MechWarrior 3050 - $5.50, cart only. This is an isometric MechWarrior game, a bit like a Strike game but with a mech instead of a helicopter. This version is a port of the Genesis version (released a year before this one), probably with more colors and such for the SNES, though the name changed -- that one was just called BattleTech. Both have a 2-player co-op mode where one player moves and the other aims and fires. Good game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 26th June 2011

So the railing the laser slides back and forth on is metal? Interesting... It must be a little later model then. What is the model number on the bottom? 1001?

Really it was surprisingly wasteful to put on both a custom output jack and standard A/V jacks. I'm surprised they did that at all, considering that particular detail has no effect on signal quality. I suppose it was a matter of making it compatible with any standard a/v cables one had lying around. The custom jack does save the effort of needing to stick an s-video output on there as well.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th June 2011

Quote:Really it was surprisingly wasteful to put on both a custom output jack and standard A/V jacks. I'm surprised they did that at all, considering that particular detail has no effect on signal quality. I suppose it was a matter of making it compatible with any standard a/v cables one had lying around. The custom jack does save the effort of needing to stick an s-video output on there as well.
Apparently the very first Japanese versions did have an S-video port on the back too... but yeah, it is a very, very strange design decision. You never see consoles with two identical outputs on the back, if there's more than one it's because they're different, like the RF and AV outputs on some systems. I have no idea why Sony did that.

Quote:So the railing the laser slides back and forth on is metal? Interesting... It must be a little later model then. What is the model number on the bottom? 1001?
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for... which part is the railing, exactly? All I can say for sure is that the system is from Oct. 1996, is a 1001 model (though there were multiple versions of the 1001), and does have some metal in it for sure, including the shielding or whatever that the laser's on. And it works fine, reads discs no problem.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 27th June 2011

The railing will be a metal rod visible inside the laser assembly itself, where the laser attaches and the motor moves it across the rod. Or, it'll be plastic. The assembly internals will also either be metal or plastic. The plastic, plus heat, is the main cause of the eventual failure of those drives. The ones made almost entirely of plastic would deform, misaligning the laser over time.

Notably, most of those assemblies can be interchanged with each other across system models. Even though later once actually moved the assembly to different sides around the disk tray, it really doesn't matter where it is. The cable length could be an issue though. I've heard of people taking the latest model drives from the remodeled PSOne versions and sticking them into the 1001 models with a small amount of filing on two corners to make it fit smoothly and not having any issues. Apparently the DAC in the 1001 models has slightly clearer sound, so that combination is supposed to be a "best of both worlds" sort of thing. Well, that's how some people talk at any rate. I've not heard any real evidence supporting it, except typical audiophile nonsense that, at best, would only apply during a solar flare or in wires several hundred feet long, and at worst comes across as nonsense. In this case, it's the claim that there's something about the RCA connectors that's simply superior quality to the old one. Nah, I'm not buying that. On the other hand, there really are some big audio differences between a number of Genesis models, in some cases the audio actually gets processed differently. In my case, it seems I have just about the worst possible model I could have short of owning the Genesis 3. That said, most of my Genesis games sound pretty good to my ears. (There's also video issues with that model, but due to the way the 32X operates, it's negated by a rather nice video processor in mine which replaces the video output dutie even in normal Genesis mode.)

Well, there was actually a major glitch in how the 1001 models handled a draw command which programmers had to work around. However, since that model was already out, it's not like it ever mattered. Every developer from then on was forced to use that work around on every single game just to make sure it was fully compatible with all models, so I'm not sure if Sony ever even bothered fixing that glitch considering developers were hobbled from taking advantage of it anyway. (Well, it wasn't too major in the end and I'm sure developer's kits just automatically converted the draw command into the work-around code.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2011

Hmm, I'm not sure then, I'll have to take it apart again I think (no way to tell from just looking in the system I imagine)... not sure if I want to at the moment though. I will check at some point though.

Also, about Genesises, yeah. My Genesis 2 actually has one of the better video output chips, which is lucky, but all of them have worse audio than early Genesis 1's... (later Genesis 1s of course actually have audio just as bad as the model 2) And yeah, you really can tell the difference. It's annoying, because the model 2 Genesis is a nice system, it's just too bad the audio is worse.

Does the 32X really negate the Genesis's video output chip, though? I'd think that that would still matter, for the part of the visuals being produced by the Genesis...

Also, new stuff. I got a system, a Neo Geo Pocket Color (the most common, bluish colored one). It was $40 for the system (in good condition, with only one minor scratch on the screen) with six games. All six games came with their plastic cases, but there were no boxes or manuals included.

NGPC games
--
Fatal Fury: First Contact - SNK had such a great fighting game engine... they did use the same on in all NGP/NGPC fighting games (and there are 9 or 10 of them), so they all do have a somewhat similar look, but they are different in the details. This is one of the first ones in color so it's not as good as some later titles, but still it's alright.
Samurai Shodown! 2 - Interesting character list... pretty good game too.
The King of Fighters R-2 - Good KOF game. I'd probably rather play KOF EX2 for the GBA (indeed, that I have that was one reason I'd held off before on getting a NGPC -- why should I when newer handheld systems have better looking SNK fighting games? But honestly it probably was worth getting, this game is good too and the NGPC has good games you can't play elsewhere.)
Metal Slug: 1st Mission - Great game! Like Metal Slug Advance (GBA) the NGPC Metal Slug games are as much platformer as they are run & gun, but either way they're lots of fun. Honestly this might even be more fun than the GBA one... not sure. Either way it's a great game.
Neo Turf Masters - Meh... golf game.
Pac-Man - Okay port, but it's too bad that it doesn't save your scores.

Overall, it's pretty cool. The screen isn't backlit, but it's bright so light isn't much of a problem -- it's similar to the GB original or GBC in being fairly easy to get good light on. It's much better than the original GBA. The game uses 2 AAs and gets very good battery life -- like 30+ hours, way above the GBC or GBA. It also uses a CR2032 battery to save the internal settings and clock, because if you turn it on without a cart in it'll tell you the time and date, and has little calendar, world time, and horoscope functions as well.

As for controls, there's a power button, headphone jack and volume knob, AC adapter port, link cable port (for NGPC to NGPC multiplayer or the NGPC-Dreamcast link cable that was supported by a few games, such as KOF R2), the battery ports, and three buttons, A, B, and Option. A and B are done in the left to right order of, say, Microsoft or Sega consoles, not Nintendo's right to left order, which is a little confusing because I"m used to handhelds with A and B buttons being the other way around. :)

The most unique feature about the NGPC, though, is its control stick. The Neo-Geo of course was a very expensive console designed to bring arcade games into the home, and the default controller was a large arcade stick. The cheaper Neo-Geo CD used a gamepad, but one with a digital joystick of sorts on it -- but it's flat, so it takes up no more space than a d-pad but feels and responds more like an arcade stick than a usual dpad would. The NGPC follows that design and also has a little ministick in it. It's not analog, it's digital, and like with an arcade stick it's clicky (so it makes noise when you move it). It takes some getting used to, and I'm definitely not used to it yet... it definitely feels different from a d-pad. I'm sure if I stick with it though I'll get used to it. Some people prefer this to dpads.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 30th June 2011

The Genesis still does the graphics processing, yes. However, the creation of the signal to the TV is a separate process, taking the raw RGB and converting it to a proper TV signal. It's that second part which the 32X replaces. Normally all those pins in the Genesis video out get converted to a single A/V video signal through the one yellow connection (or a mixed RF signal through an RF switch). However, the individual signals of the video pins stay separated going through the linking cable from the Genesis to the 32X, which the 32X then combines with it's own signal processing with the video data generated by the 32X. The result is a signal mostly produced by the 32X itself, which in spite of being a way too expensive and downright wasteful addon, was still pretty well built. So the signal comes out very sharp, clear, and without any ugly artifacts like the blurring and rainbow banding the model 2s are known for. Unfortunately, since the audio problems aren't just a signal generating issue but the audio chip actually producing different sound, the 32X won't fix that issue.

Ideally, the model of Genesis I'd want is the Model 1 with "16 Bit" in big letters on the front. Some later models have worse sound (and the very second model actually has better video), but the sound only matches the Genesis 2s in the very last of the Genesis 1 models. However, I'd also need to get a cable to take the audio output from the headphone jack into the Sega CD, as well as the adapter cable for the adapter cable to connect the 32X to the Model 1 output. Heck, due to the mono-output from the Genesis 1, the stereo sound thing could get rather complicated with all 3 parts of that monster. Also, for cosmetic reasons, I'd want the extra plastic "spacer" to keep half the Genesis 1 from hovering in mid-air. I'll keep the Sega CD 2, that thing's actually the better version and solidly built. There are some Genesis 2 models with better quality audio. I found this site full of easy ways to tell what model someone has without needing to open it.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones.

It's pretty nice. I did some reading and while most 32x games just used the Genesis audio, there are a few that use the sound chip in the 32x itself (such as the 32x version of Blackthorne). In other words, on those games you're out of luck if you want to hook it to a Genesis 1 and use stereo sound at the same time (routing from the headphone port to the Sega CD and there to the TV will cut out all the 32x audio). Well, actually if the game uses ENTIRELY 32X sound, just use the connectors from the 32X itself and it should still be in stereo. It's those games that mix 32x and Genesis sound where you are limited to mono Genesis and stereo 32x mixed together (on the model 1 systems). Someone could probably rig together a custom cable that mixes all of it together. It'd be a mess, but if you've got a Genesis Tower set up, you've already made one so why not add a little more?

Actually, re-reading that list, it seems the last model of the Genesis 2, the VA4, has amazing video and sound up there with the first few revisions, except for less bass (which is an easy enough thing to remedy through the audio system you're using). If I can find one, I might just go for that.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2011

So it's Steam's summer sale, with a whole bunch of one-day sales each day. I got one today...

PC
--
Heroes of Might & Magic V Complete (original + both addons) - $5 ... Yeah, I loved Heroes 2 and had always meant to play another Heroes game but hadn't actually ever bought them. Now I have one, I should play it. This is the most recent one, though I'm pretty sure Heroes 6 is in development. Oh, this also included Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (the M&M FPS), but I've owned that since 2007 and I had registered it on Steam so it didn't give me another free copy. Oh well.

I haven't bought anything else so far. Shogun 2 for $30 is somewhat tempting, but... eh, I think I'm going to pass, I have several Total War games I haven't played much of after all.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 1st July 2011

That's odd. Normally if a package comes with a game you already own, the system gives you a giftable license to send to a friend for that game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 2nd July 2011

Yeah, well, it didn't seem to do that. A little annoying.

As for Genesises, yeah, it is annoying that for the best sound you need a model 1, because as you say that system has other drawbacks, most notably the mono-only audio out on the back that necessitates that genesis to sega cd mixing cable to get stereo audio. What you cite about what you found about 32X audio is interesting -- I do read Sega-16, but I didn't remember those details. Sounds like there is no way to get fully stereo audio out of a Genesis 1/CD/32X combo, huh? That's really annoying! One more reason to like the Genesis 2, maybe the sound quality is worse but at least it's all in stereo...

Also, of course, it means that you have a Genesis that doesn't quite match your Sega CD, because I agree with you that the model 2 Sega CD is the better one. The Genesis 2 matches it perfectly, but the Genesis 1 doesn't, it's taller and longer. I think I have one of those extension blocks somewhere (when I got my Sega CD it came with it), but I'm not sure where, as I've had my Genesis 2 hooked up to it since I got it... I'm not sure if the better sound is worth the other hassles and drawbacks that come with using a Genesis 1. Maybe, maybe not.

Also, I got one more PC game in Steam's summer sale. It's another of their daily deals (there are a bunch each day remember).

PC
--
Darksiders - $5

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 2nd July 2011

Not all Genesis 2 systems have inferior sound according to that thread I linked above, and the last model of the Genesis 1 was apparently a "stinker" with the worst sound of all of them. Generally speaking, most models of Genesis 1 have better sound than most models of Genesis 2. The same is true of the video.

I edited my above post so it may have been missed, so I'll repeat it here. According to that thread, the very last model of the Genesis 2, the "VA4", has even better video than the first Genesis 1 model, and sound ALMOST right up there with the first model Genesis 1. (That's to be expected, as it actually goes back to the Yamaha for it, and actually wires it up correctly unlike the VA3.) I have to qualify it as "almost" because of it having a little weaker bass than the original model. I am curious if just boosting the bass in the audio system would solve that issue, and I also wonder how much of an issue it actually is. More importantly, the sound is both accurate and balanced, something the rest of the Genesis 2 models get wrong. Considering the stereo setup and how complicated wiring it all up can get anyway, and the video being superior, I think that Genesis 2 is the one I'll be hunting down. I'll likely need to search locally, because most online sellers just aren't aware of these details.

Also, cosmetically, the 32X actually looks decent on a Genesis 2 because it looks symmetrical.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 2nd July 2011

Bought yesterday:

-Metroid: Other M = $5
-Sin and Punishment: Star Successor = $10

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 3rd July 2011

That's pretty cheap for current gen games. Just the disks by themselves, or the whole package?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 3rd July 2011

Whole package; disc, case, and instruction manual. They would have been $25 for both, but the store was doing a 4th of July sale where all Xbox360/PS3/Wii games were $5 off, used and new.

Unfortunately, those were the only two I saw that I wanted and that were between $10 and $15.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd July 2011

Good deal I guess, though even for $5 I don't know if I'd get Metroid Other M... Sin & Punishment 2 is pretty great though of course!

Anyway, of today's daily Steam summer sale deals, I got this:

PC
--
Torchlight - $3

Quote:Also, cosmetically, the 32X actually looks decent on a Genesis 2 because it looks symmetrical.

First -- yeah, I agree that that best model of Genesis 2 is the best kind. The stereo sound issues of the model 1 kind of reduce the importance of the better sound quality, though it does still matter some. I wish there was one model with both stereo on the back and the best sound... too bad.

As for this quote though, the 32X looks kind of odd on either of them, but it is true it's symmetrical on the 2 but not the 1. I would recommend having a spacer for the 32X though, to fit between the Genesis and 32X -- otherwise all the weight of the 32X goes straight down onto the circuit board, which can be bad for it long term.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 3rd July 2011

Yeah I have the spacer, and the two RF shields for the cartridge slot, and the crossover cable. I've also got the RF shield for the Sega CD.

The main point I was making is that the last model of the Gen 2 is barely inferior at all in the sound, almost to the point of being a non-issue I'd think if you just upped the bass on your TV. The description he gave said the sound was practically identical except for weaker bass output. That sounds like an easy fix. It's hardly as bad as the earlier models of the Gen 2.

Apparently the Sega Nomad has awesome sound too, including high bass.

Torchlight for $3? I need to take advantage of that. I wish there was some way to know about these Steam sales without needing to constantly log into Steam to check every last item in the store every day.

Ya know though, my comment on the 32X looking better on the Genesis 2 is negated once you add in the Sega CD 2. Either combination by itself looks decent enough, (one's symmetrical, the other's smooth), but combined it disrupts both. And that's what I have. As I mentioned before, I also have one of the worse revisions of the Gen 2 for sound. I kinda wish Sega had just switched to the Gen 2 style A/V cable right out of the gate instead of trying to be "backwards compatible" with the Master System.

As it stands, I did find out someone actually did rig together a home made cable that combines the output cable from the Sega CD 2 into the crossover cable to the 32X to get stereo sound all around on the first model, but then there's the rainbow banding of those earlier models to consider... I still think dealing with weaker bass will be an easier fix than the video artifacts. Cosmetically, I like both models. They both look a heck of a lot more... substantial?... than the Gen 3. They both have a similar aesthetic to them. There's only one aspect the Gen 2 is missing outright, and that's the ext port on the back of the very earliest of Gen 1 models, used for a Japan-only modem who's service, I imagine, is down by now. Besides, if I wanted to rig up some sort of hacked online play, I'd just find an old XBand modem instead, since it used the cartridge slot.

Incidentally, I think that a Japanese XBand would be the perfect adapter for SNES/Famicom game play across systems. A US XBand might work if the cart was chopped up... Still, I'm starting to get to the point where I'm seriously considering getting into modding my old systems. I love keeping mine historically intact, but it's something I've considered quite a bit when I see a number of fixes to the various problems each of these systems have.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd July 2011

So GOG's "50% off all Interplay games" sale ends noon tomorrow. After thinking about it I finally decided to get some of the ones I don't have already (I have quite a few Interplay games after all). I ended up getting these, for $3 each:

PC
--
Messiah
Sacrifice
Die by the Sword + expansion
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Freespace 1 + expansion (I already have Freespace, but not the addon; this was probably the cheapest way of getting it)

I considered getting a few more, including Earthworm Jim 3D and Evolva, but they're just as cheap online and that gets me actual physical copies, so I didn't get those.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th July 2011

Stuff I got today

PS2
--
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - $3 (complete)

Gamecube
--
Vexx - $1 (disc only; I have this for xbox, but for $1 why not? It's good.)
Rayman Arena - $1, disc only

PS1
--
Resident Evil Survivor - $2, disc in case (no manual) - lightgun RE game which had its lightgun support mysteriously removed from the US release for some stupid reason.

Game Boy/Color - $5 for the two
--
Link's Awakening DX (cart only)
Metroid II: Return of Samus (cart in case)

Steam sale games

Jul. 4
--
Bionic Commando pack - Rearmed and Bionic Commando (3d) - $12.50
Doom pack - complete Doom series on PC - $8.70

Jul. 6
--
PC
--
Jamestown - $5
King's Bounty Platinum - $7 (King's Bounty: The Legend, Armored Princess, Crossroads)

Jul. 7
--
Audiosurf - $1.50
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -$3.74

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 8th July 2011

The light gun support in that PS1 RE game was removed because that was around the time of the Columbine shootings, and if you recall the media basically went insane trying to pin the blame on anything they could latch onto, from Marilyn Manson to violent media to, mainly, video game violence. A related casualty was the camera support in Perfect Dark (which hackers have been able to determine was actually pretty much complete). It's a shame though, because that sort of game is simply awful without light gun support.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th July 2011

That makes sense. That's too bad though, because lightgun games are less fun with the gamepad for sure. I don't have either of the PS1 lightguns of course (I have the PS2 gun, but it's not backwards compatible), but if I ever did get one I'd want to be able to play that game with a light gun.

But even so, really I don't mind lightgun games with the gamepad though, and I think I'm maybe actually better with gamepad... I'm so bad at actually hitting anything with lightguns... I can barely hit anything in most of them, from a few feet away. Lol

As for today, a package from EBay arrived, of NGPC games. It was $31 total including shipping. Four of the games are duplicates, two are two copies of a game I have, and four (the four I bought it for) are ones I don't have (yes, it was worth that much easily even with all those duplicates, one of the new ones is somewhat valuable.).

Neo Geo Pocket Color
--
The Last Blade - cart in case. This game is the most valuable of these; complete copies sell for well over $31, and loose ones don't sell for too much less than that either. Finding a group of games with a copy of this in it for that price was a great find. This game is incredible, and is the best NGPC fighting game I've played yet for sure. Outstanding game, it does a good job of translating The Last Blade to the handheld. It has the stories from both of the Last Blade games in it too, and unlocks the Last Blade 2 characters eventually if you play it more. I haven't done that yet, but did beat it once. It feels a little simpler than the Neo-Geo games, but still has good depth and complexity. Outstanding game. Great backgrounds too, they look just like the Last Blade 2 backgrounds!

Puzzle Bobble Mini - cart and case. Bust-A-Move. I assume this is a European (or Japanese, if the game is multilanguage) copy, because of the different title. This is an okay version of Bust-A-Move, but it's got some issues. Like the Game Boy/GBC versions, the playfield is small and cramped, and the bubbles are tiny. Telling some of the colors apart, and accurately aiming in the small field, is tough. For content, it's basic -- the game has an endless mode, a puzzle mode with 99 puzzles, and versus/vs. cpu. This is basically the same feature set as Bust-A-Move for Game Gear, so I imagine this is a port of the first game, just with more characters added in the versus mode. This version allows you to access all 99 puzzles from the start, so you don't need to actually progress, unlike the GG (which used password save for that because there's no battery in the cart). It's supposed to save your best times in each stage, but either my cart is messed up or it doesn't. That's annoying. Vs. CPU mode works as you'd expect. Endless is fun, and is like the GG's endless mode, except it actually does save your high scores in this one (there of course it didn't). Overall though, honestly I'd almost actually rather play the GG version; yes, it doesn't save scores and has lots of slowdown that this version doesn't have, but the larger graphics (and wider screen) make the game easier to play.

Sonic Pocket Adventure - cart only. This was apparently Dimps' first Sonic game, and it's basically a handheld version of Sonic 2, but with some new levels in it as well as ones out of Sonic 2. There's a link versus mode too, and some other mini modes. Pretty solid port, and I like that it actually saves, unlike the Game Gear Sonic games... but gameplay-wise it's nothing above GG Sonic, apart from having less slowdown. Of course, the NGPC isn't exactly a big leap in tech over handhelds from eight years before it (in fact, the Lynx was almost certainly the most powerful handheld ever all the way up until the Game Boy Advance came out), so that makes sense. Anyway, Sonic Pocket Adventure is a quality game. My first impression, though, is that Metal Slug 1st Mission is my favorite NGPC sidescroller so far... though of course there are only three, the two Metal Slug games on Sonic, so there's not exactly a lot of competition.

SNK vs. Capcom: Cardfighters Clash (SNK Version) - This is a card battle game, like the various card battle games popular then and now (pokemon cards, magic, etc). This isn't a port of something though, it's an original title. I've only played it a very little, but it seems pretty solid for the genre. Nice graphics on the cards too. It does explain how to play, which is good, because there's a good bit to learn.

Duplicates below
Metal Slug: 1st Mission (US copy with ESRB rating) - cart and case.
Metal Slug: 1st Mission (EU/JP cart style copy) - cart only. note that the contents are identical between versions, only the carts look different. I should sell these or something, no need to have three copies.
Neo Turf Masters - cart and case.
The King of Fighters R-2 - cart and case.
Samurai Shodown! 2 - cart and case.
Fatal Fury: First Impact - cart and caseThese three fighting games are worth keeping for link play, if I ever get a second system and cable. Neo Turf Masters has link play too, but do I actually care about a golf game? Not really.