Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2011

Wii
--
Overlord: Dark Legend - $7

NES (all cart only)
--
Gotcha! The Sport - $1 (light-gun game)
Sky Shark - $3 (mediocre port of the okay arcade shmup Flying Shark)
Twin Eagle - $1 (bland and probably subpar shmup, but for $1 why not; unrelated to Twin Cobra or Twin Hawk, the names are just similar.)

Genesis
--
Desert Strike - $1, cart only

N64
--
Road Rash 64 - $5, cart only

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th February 2011

(The first three are cart only, $2 each)

Game Boy / GB Color Dual Mode
--
Hexcite - Battery-backed, Super Game Boy Enhanced (with two controller multiplayer!!) tile-filling puzzle game. Yeah, it has both awesome SGB support and GB color support, and saving too! The playfield is a large hex made of triangles surrounded by six more hexes. The two players take turns putting various pieces in the field, trying to get the most points by placing tiles and filling each of the six surrounding hexes (you get a bonus if you're the one to put the last piece in a hex). Multiplayer works either alternating on a GB or, on SGB, with either alternating or two controllers. I think this is the only GB or GBC puzzle game with a two-controller multiplayer mode. At least, it is as far as I know. I wasn't expecting too much from this game, but it's actually pretty good. I'm terrible at it so far (the computer beats me every time), but I definitely think I'll be playing this one more.

Game Boy Color
--
Star Wars: Episode I: Obi-Wan's Adventure - The handheld counterpart to Ep. 1 Jedi Power Battles, I believe. It's an isometric action-adventure game. I only played part of the first level, but it seems okay. Decent graphics, okay gameplay. Not an incredible game, but probably worth the purchase. Password save.
Trouballs - Another puzzle game, this one has balls in a field which you can only move by turning gears. Turning a gear will rotate the balls around that gear, and you're trying to make squares of four out of the balls, which will make them disappear. First impressions are that I find it a bit dull and not too interesting, but the design is fine. Password save.

DS
--
Retro Game Challenge - card only, $13 - I wasn't sure if this would be worth it, but I thought I'd get it anyway. I'm still not sure if it was worth it, but it is an entertaining game. The "retro" games are a bit easy, which I think is a complaint I'd heard, but the presentation is pretty good, with the '80s Japan style. On that note though the somewhat awkward Japan/US hybrid of the setting is weird, but without redoing the graphics there wasn't much they could probably do about that. I've only unlocked two of the retro games so far, and they're alright but not the best. You do four challenges in each game, usually easy so far, before moving on to the next one. The games are all new, so whether or not it ends up being as good as it could have been (so far looks like likely not), I think it was certainly worth a purchase. The games are fun enough, and the concept is great. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd February 2011

Wii
--
Blast Works: Build, Trade, & Destroy - $9, complete - The Wii remake of Kenta Cho's interesting PC freeware shmup Tumiki Fighters. I'm not sure why I didn't get this some time ago, I probably should have, but at least I have it now.

N64
--
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine - $7, cart only -- Awesome find! This is the first time I've seen one of the rental only N64 games, and indeed, it's got a Blockbuster sticker on it. I'd like most of the rental only games eventually, but particularly wanted this game and Stunt Racer 64. I'm still looking for that one, but this is a great find.

Xbox (complete, got these because of the prices)
--
Far Cry Instincts: Evolved - $2.25
Kill Switch - $1.57

GBA
--
Wing Commander Prophecy (cart only) - $2.69 (A port of a late '90s PC game, this has to be pretty bad in comparison but I've always wanted to try it and see if it actually is playable...)

SNES
--
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures - $4, cart only (nice find, it's Factor 5's Super Star Wars engine Indy game)

(yeah, more GB/GBC games. As usual all are $2 each and cart only.)
GBC
--
Mickey's Speedway USA
Cruis'n Exotica

GB/GBC Dual Mode
--
Shamus

GB
--
Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman
Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break
Revenge of the Gator (pinball game from Nintendo)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd February 2011

SNES Indy might be better than N64 Indy.

GB/GBC Dual Mode ($2, cart only)
--
Ballistics - Mitchell's game that was ripped off by the much more popular Zuma. Pretty good, though I wonder if it just doesn't have saving, or if there's a dead battery inside... (Color-based puzzle games, original GB... you have to just do it by shapes, no thanks! I'll stick with GBC for this one.)

GB ($2, cart only)
--
Daedalian Opus - Puzzle game where you take the pieces you're given and fit them into the shape. Challenging, decently good early GB game with password save.

N64
--
Mario Tennis ($7, cart only) - Doubt I'll like it, but eh, we'll see. Much cheaper price than this game often goes for.

NES
--
The Adventures of Bayou Billy - $1 - Infamously hard, but I should have it, I think...

SNES
--
Warlock - $1 - Mediocre licensed movie game (based on a movie I never saw) from Acclaim. But it was just $1 so why not. (I pass on $1 sports games all the time, but other genres...)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2011

PC (jewelcase only games)
--
Nox - $2
Trade Empires - $1

The rest of the games (below) are cart only and $5 each.

N64
--
Aero Gauge

PSX - a memory card ($5) - I have way more PS1 games than I have memory card space to save them in, I need more of these but they're not that easy to find. It's easy to find PS2 ones no problem, but not so much PS1.

NES
--
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Battle of Olympus
Trojan
Phantom Fighter

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2011

I picked up Startropics 2 (with manual, I've been trying to make sure I get that these days), which seems like it'll be fun. They changed the walking mechanic so it's granulated instead of tiled, which I'm not sure works as well with how the stages are designed.

I also got Nightshade (this one's a complete package, box and all, and cheap). Nightshade, for those who aren't aware, is a rarity, a graphic adventure for the NES, and ONLY for the NES. On the one hand, this makes the controls more awkward than they should be, it really would be easier with a mouse (come to think of it, this is one of the rare games that would really benefit from the Power Glove of all things). The basic premise is very classic detective stuff. You're a private eye going by the name "Nightshade" who's wandering the mean and dirty streets of Metro City (no not that one) to stop a crime lord named Sutek, who killed the previous defender of the city. Aside from your standard point and click adventuring (picking up items, talking to people, exploring, puzzle solving), there's also some fighting and even a little platforming. It's hard to tell if the people you meet are friendly or not so much until you go up to them, and if they're an enemy you get into a 2D fighting game style sequence where you jump around and use Nightshade's only skill, hand to hand street fighting. The tone of the game is very tongue in cheek. All the dialog is pretty witty. One thing this game does that really should be copied is how it handles "dying". If you get beaten in battle or caught due to exploring the wrong place, instead of actually dying you're just caught by Sutek and put into a stereotypical death trap. Escape and you get to keep playing. The traps get harder and harder to solve and escape from as you keep dying, but it's just fun seeing what sorts of new clever death traps there are around the corner (they're all unique). I'm sure there's some limit, but it's very unique. The game even starts out in one of them, you're tied to a chair next to a bomb, a candle, and a wall. The obvious way out takes longer than you think, do something else to avoid the bomb and then use that obvious way out. So far it's very fun, and the visuals are quite impressive for an NES game. The biggest problems are the awkward cursor controls and the complete lack of any way to record your progress (no saves or passwords, rather inexcusable for an adventure game). This was made by Beam Software (published by Ultra, which was actually a front company for Konami, so yeah, storied history). Beam as you may know went on from here to make the much more famous Shadowrun for the SNES.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2011

Startropics 2... I got that at the same time I got the first one, but for some reason never got far into it. It does seem like a pretty good game, I really should go back to it and play the thing while the battery's still holding up...

DS
--
WarioWare Twisted - $13, card only - The second WarioWare game I've gotten, actually. I only previously had the GC one (which is amazing and one of the best party games ever).

PSX
--
Invasion from Beyond - $4 - intentionally cheesy Playstation game. Based on the box I thought it'd be a generic flying shooter type of game, but it's actually something in between... I don't know, Desert Strike and a topdown shmup or something? That is, you have no vertical movement control, you just move on a flat plane, and your planes hover like helicopters. You are given missions such as picking up people and crates and dropping them in other places, rescuing people and bringing them to safe points, destroying waves of aliens, etc. I've only played a couple of levels, but the controls are kind of annoying. The lack of vertical movement really is kind of a pain, this game tosses LOTS of enemies at you, unlike many games of this kind (the five Strike games, the Army Men: Air Attack series, Chopper Attack for N64). The levels are small but have no borders, so you just loop from one "side" to the other seamlessly. Lots of UFOs to try to hit, flying around... you can aim up and down, but hitting them is kind of tricky, you have limited ammo (you can reload, but have to go back to the base square), and it's hard to dodge enemy fire. So far I get hit a lot. This game is pretty hard. There are strafing buttons on the shoulders, so you can dodge that way, but playing a "flight" game like it's an FPS or something is pretty strange... still, the graphics are okay for a 1997 Playstation game, and it's kind of fun. I like the cheesy, '50s-ish box art and obviously intentionally silly theme. Gameplay wise though, it does have some issues I think.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2011

N64
--
Dr. Mario 64 - $7, cart only - Pretty good find, this late N64 game (one of Nintendo's last first party titles for the system) isn't too common. Hopefully it's good too, haven't tried it yet.

SNES
--
Utopia: The Creation of a Nation - $3, cart only - Populous-style strategy game. Not sure if I'll like it or not, SNES Populous wasn't that great (games like this are so much better on PC), but for that price I thought it was worth trying. At least this one has mouse support, so the controls should be far better than SNES Populous, which was an early, and gamepad only, title...
Super Turrican - $3 - !!!!! Incredible find, I love the Turrican series but didn't have either of the SNES games. I beat this game in emulation years back, so I've played it, but I'd never seen a copy, so I didn't own it... until now. I was thrilled (and surprised) to find this, it's so awesome to finally have... now I have to hope that sometime I'll run into a cheap copy of the (rarer and more valuable) sequel sometime too. Unlikely I know, but hey, this one's not the most common game, and I found it... :) Oh, and yeah, the game's amazing.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2011

32X
--
Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 - $5 - cart only. Yeah, pretty good find! This one's not that common, it's pretty cool that I found it for cheap... it's not the greatest game, but it's alright. It's a 2.5d shmup, with polygon ships on an isometric prerendered field. No vertical movement here, unlike the original Zaxxon. You can take over enemy ships with one of your weapons and control those ships, though, which is the game's main unique element. It's not bad, but it isn't quite as good as it could have been. Still great to have though.

Xbox
--
Unreal Championship - $3

Wii
--
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - $10 - One of the "roll things around" Wii games. Hopefully it's good, some of these are good and others not quite as much. This one does have a classic controller option, which is a nice option to have.

GBA
--
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - $3, cart only

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th March 2011

Game Gear
--
Sonic Triple Trouble - $4.88. This is, oddly, the fourth Game Gear Sonic game, not the third. It's okay, but plays almost identically to the previous three, with no real gameplay enhancements of note from the last one, Sonic Chaos (which was the first one to have Tails playable, even though Sonic 2 GG was called "Sonic & Tails" in Japan). In all five GG Sonic games, you run to the right to the end of the levels, there are three zones per level (like Sonic 1 Genesis), and you get into bonus stages by finishing a level with, I believe, 100 coins. Um, I think the number might have changed a bit over the series, but still "get to the end with enough coins" is the bonus stage system, like Sonic 1 Genesis. They do try to improve the graphics each time, they added Tails playable in the third and fourth ones (the last one, Sonic Blast, has Sonic and Knuckles as the playable characters) but the gameplay stays similar.

Oh, and like Chaos, the stages are on the short side too. Maybe this is to make up for the fact that, like all five games in the series, there's no saving? As a result it's a decent game, but not too long and very, very samey compared to the other GG Sonics. Sonics 1 and 2 for the GG tried to make up for their length by being pretty hard, but Chaos and beyond drop that too... meh, it's alright, but I feel like they could have done more with these games than they did. I know the 8-bit hardware limits what they could do compared to the Genesis, but seriously, how about stuff like the bonus stages hidden in the levels, longer stages, saving, etc?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th March 2011

DS
--
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem - $12, card only - This is the fourth MvDK game, and the third one on the DS (the first was for GBA). The first was an easier modern rethinking of the GB classic puzzle-platformer Donkey Kong ('94), and the DS ones are similar, but focus on getting mini-Marios across to the end, instead of Mario himself. Apparently all three DS MvDK games are pretty similar, but I haven't actually bought any of the MvDK games before, even though I'd always kind of been thinking about it because of how I had liked the original DK'94, so when I found this one for cheap I decided to get it. :)

Xbox
--
SVCCHAOS: SNK vs. Capcom - $10, complete - The other Xbox-only 2d SNK game... I already have Samurai Shodown V, KOF NeoWave, and Metal Slug 3, this was the other one and it's great to find it. The price might have been slightly high, but it was complete and in good shape, so I decided to get it. It's not the best Neo-Geo fighting game for sure, unfortunately, and is no competition for Capcom vs SNK 2, but still it's an amusing enough game to be worth playing, for Capcom and SNK fighting game fans at least. The pre-fight dialogues are entertaining. :) The Capcom character selection is disappointing though, a lot of Street Fighter II characters are in the game, but not my two favorites, Cammy and Blanka... bah. For SNK there's no regular Athena either, just Goddess Athena as one of the bosses. It does has some interesting choices like Zero, Tessa from Red Earth/Warzard, and on the SNK side a Mars People alien, though. :)

Genesis
--
Shining in the Darkness - cart only in generic (rental?) plastic case - $4 - Wouldn't have bought this for much more than that, it's a very grind heavy RPG, but for that price, eh, why not...

PSX
--
Crash Bandicoot: Warped - $5 - Haven't owned any of the main series before, just CTR.

PC
--
3-D Ultra R.C. Racers Deluxe: Traxxas Edition - $1, disc only - Cool, the upgraded version of the Sierra top-down racing game? And I just found the original version last year too, it's cool to find the expanded version so soon. :) It's not a great game, but I often like topdown racing games, and it's a decent one.
Operation Neptune (CD ver.) - jewelcase only, $2 - The original floppy disc DOS version of this educational game classic is something we've owned since the early '90s, but this CD Windows/Mac version, with full voice acting, I've never seen... pretty cool, this was one of the best educational games of the time, it's a sidescrolling game where you control a sub, defeating enemies, collecting items, and stuff and occasionally answering a math problem.
Hardball 5 - $2, jewelcase only - Hardball III for PC is my favorite baseball game ever. From what I remember of playing the demo back when it came out, this game's pretty decent too, one of the best games in the series.
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst - $2 - One of those "find the hidden objects in the image" games. Complete (jewelcase in paper sleeve).

Game Boy
--
Wave Race - $2, game in plastic case - Yeah, the original... I'd never had it. It's a solid but (at first) challenging top-down racing game. I've only played it much yet so I'm not very good, but it's clearly a good game. It's got a default palette in the GBC/GBA like with a few other B&W games (Mario Land 1, etc.), so the water looks blue. Cool.
4-In-1 Funpack Vol. I - $2 - Chess, Checkers, Reversi, Backgammon. Basic collection, no saving, but it works, and does have 2-p alternating as well as some fairly challenging CPU opponents (for Reversi at least, the only one I've played so far).

Game Boy/GB Color Dual Mode
--
Power Quest - $2, game in plastic case - it's a fighting game, actually. Decent game really, though fairly button mashey. It's got an RPG-ish quest mode for the main game, with fighting game combat. Password save. It is Super Game Boy enhanced, though the SGB mode is probably better.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 13th March 2011

Today I picked up a lot of stuff.

Most of them are Genesis games, and notably ALL of them are in their original hard plastic cases with the manuals!

Sonic Spinball: Not much to say here, it's a classic and one of the great Sonic games from the Genesis days with a pinball twist.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle: Another classic from Sega's first attempt at a mascot character. While these games are lesser known, they are very well made. They are a combination of side scroller and adventure in the vein of Castlevania 2 (though better done than that).

Rocket Knight Adventure: This is a game that didn't do as well as it should have but has gained a strong cult following, to the point where Konami has made a sort of sequel/reboot for modern systems. An aardvark with a sword and a jet pack? There's no part of that sentence I didn't like! It's very well done and creative from start to end. It is one of the more unique side scrollers, up there with Ristar.

Other than that, I also picked up a little game called Journey to Silius for the NES. No box, but it's got the manual. I didn't know what to expect, but playing it, I got addicted fast. This game seems to be almost unmentioned out there, but so far from the first few stages, it is absolutely amazing. It rivals the Contra games, and in some ways surpasses them. I will say it is easier than the Contra games, not least because the main character has a life bar and can take a few hits before dying, but it is still challenging. The story is... confusing. Your father has died while away designing a space station, and your character suspects a terrorist group is responsible. You pick up a floppy disk with your dad's future plans for the space station and swear you will finish his work, and then you are fighting robots with laser guns. No transition, that's just what happens. Well, anyway aside from that it's very well done. The enemies are well designed, the bosses are good, the weapons are varied and useful. The visuals so far are good for an NES game, and the music is really catchy. Notably, one of the tunes reminds me of the famous Terminator song, which fits since the whole game, past that whole space station/revenge for your father intro, has a very "robot apocalypse" feel. Unlike Contra, you can't aim in every direction with every gun, though you can duck and fire prone.

I haven't beaten it yet, but so far I'm very impressed, and in a collection of re-obtained games from my childhood, this one stands out as a "new to me" game I missed back then.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2011

Journey to Silius is awesome, probably some of the best music on the NES and a pretty good game too... I've had it for a while but have only gotten a few levels in though, it is challenging (as was often true with Sunsoft games). Supposedly (I'm not sure if it's rumor or fact, but it's a common rumor at least) it was originally supposed to be a Terminator game, but Sunsoft either lost or couldn't get the license, so they changed it to that. Sunsoft did do a lot of (good) licensed games, so it's believable. Oh, the Japanese version, Raf World, has a different story and character, you look like a soldier or something instead of just a kid. The intro cutscene's in English in the Japanese version though, oddly enough...

Sonic Spinball - Good concept, but too hard... I've barely ever managed to even beat the first level. I like the Game Gear version more actually, it's a lot easier.

Alex Kidd (Genesis) - I got this last year I think but I've barely played it. Didn't seem too interesting on my first impression (and maybe a bit annoyingly hard too), so I haven't really gone back yet.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Yeah, that game's fantastic. I keep hoping I'll run into copies of its two sequels, Sparkster for SNES and Genesis (same name, different games), but no luck yet... but yeah Rocket Knight Adventures is quite good. Great graphics, good gameplay, good challenge, just an all-around great game. They made a modern remake of it within the last year or two, for PC/PSN/XBLA. I've only played the demo of the PC version, but it seems decently fun (though short, apparently), I'll likely get it sometime.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 13th March 2011

You gotta give Sega credit, they were the first to use long lasting durable containers for their games, starting right from the Master System. Granted, Master System box art was incredibly boring (if I ever saw them as a kid, I probably thought they were computer office applications), but the box itself was brilliant. To this day, most of my old Nintendo game boxes are gone, as I ended up taking the game and manual and throwing the card board away. However I still have all the plastic cases. It's funny. Sega got it perfect with the Master and Genesis, but when CDs came along, everyone's first thought was "let's use clear incredibly fragile plastic, so people can see through it even though most of the time we'll be blocking that view with inserts anyway, also every last one of these hinges is going to break". Sega's answer was giant sized CD cases that were just as fragile, but took up ridiculous amounts of space. Finally, DVD cases came along, which were basically just slimmer versions of Sega's old game cases, and everything came back full circle. It's weird how that works.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2011

I like the look of Sega CD/Saturn cases more than DVD cases, though. I don't know, but I've just never really liked the DVD case look... I know jewelcases (large or small) are much more fragile, but the large ones especially look better. Small jewelcases though, they're fine when they are just for the media (like many PC games from when they came with jewelcases and a separate manual), but for PS1/DC/JP Saturn games/etc, where that's the whole game, it's a bit small. I like longbox PSX boxes (all three kinds of them) better than the jewelcases.

You are right that Genesis/SMS cases are much more durable than cardboard boxes, though. A decently cared for cardboard box will last a reasonably long time, and I have lots of cardboard boxes that are fine, but it is true that it's much easier to keep the SMS/Genesis ones without damaging them, especially if you actually use the boxes with any regularity. My sizable (cardboard box) PC game collection, though, says that you certainly can keep cardboard boxes for quite a while...

That said, I don't keep any of my games in card board boxes. My old boxes are all stored on their own, since everything in those cardboard boxes are basically all loose and not really easy to stack and actually use regularly. On the other hand I do store all games that use plastic cases in those cases, since those are a lot easier to stack, open, and the games and documents are fixed within them one way or another far more securely.

I'm very utilitarian. Durability is a lot more important to me than any concept of a better "looking" case. Transparency is neat, but it isn't worth it at all to have that at the expense of that sort of fragility. At any rate, most jewel cases have their transparency made moot by the paper inserts blocking the view of the disk anyway. At that point, it really makes no difference to me. I will at least say this. MS's green color choice for their XBox game cases does look a little silly.

I don't keep games in cardboard boxes either. They're just too big, I'd need a lot of shelving just for game boxes, way, way too much (particularly for the PC boxes, but for consoles as well). I keep the games and boxes separately, boxes in the basement. I don't keep Genesis or SMS games in their cases either, those cases are large and it'd take up a lot of space if I did that... I keep some DVD-style case games in their cases, but not all. Some are in cases, some in CD holder things. For the PC I keep them in their jewelcases (or papersleeves, or for a few DVD cases).

Quote:I'm very utilitarian. Durability is a lot more important to me than any concept of a better "looking" case. Transparency is neat, but it isn't worth it at all to have that at the expense of that sort of fragility.
It's not like all jewelcases break, I have plenty that still work... sure they are less durable, but they don't ALL break or something.

As for cardboard, as I said it's not that bad in terms of durability, really, as long as you don't treat the boxes too badly.

Quote:At any rate, most jewel cases have their transparency made moot by the paper inserts blocking the view of the disk anyway. At that point, it really makes no difference to me.
But the manual art is going to look nicer than the disc art, usually... why would you prefer to look at the disc than the manual? Huh?

Quote:I will at least say this. MS's green color choice for their XBox game cases does look a little silly.
No way, I like Xbox cases. Green is my favorite color, I'd say their color is a plus. :)

A Black Falcon Wrote:I don't keep games in cardboard boxes either. They're just too big, I'd need a lot of shelving just for game boxes, way, way too much (particularly for the PC boxes, but for consoles as well). I keep the games and boxes separately, boxes in the basement. I don't keep Genesis or SMS games in their cases either, those cases are large and it'd take up a lot of space if I did that... I keep some DVD-style case games in their cases, but not all. Some are in cases, some in CD holder things. For the PC I keep them in their jewelcases (or papersleeves, or for a few DVD cases).

Okay then.

Quote:It's not like all jewelcases break, I have plenty that still work... sure they are less durable, but they don't ALL break or something.

As for cardboard, as I said it's not that bad in terms of durability, really, as long as you don't treat the boxes too badly.

I'm not saying they always break, just that they are more likely to, and that's enough.

Quote:But the manual art is going to look nicer than the disc art, usually... why would you prefer to look at the disc than the manual? Huh?

What? When did I ever say that I would prefer to see the disk than the cover art? I'm saying I can't understand why you say jewel cases look better, and the only thing I can even speculate would be the reason is their transparency, which I was saying was rendered meaningless by inserts making it opaque again.

Quote:No way, I like Xbox cases. Green is my favorite color, I'd say their color is a plus. :)

Well okay then, though I'm again confused as to why you think jewel cases look better, if the look has nothing to do with it.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th March 2011

DS
--
Tetris DS - $13 - I got this one a few days ago. Another case of a game I just couldn't refuse because of the price and relative rarity of the game, I know it's worth quite a bit more than that.

Wii
--
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins - $10, complete (used) - I do like the Tenchu games, and had wanted the Wii one, this is as cheap as I've seen it.
Mario Power Tennis (New Play Control) - $10, complete (used) - N64 Mario Tennis is actually good, so meh, why not try it (plus, wiimote controls might be fun in this). I passed on New Play Control Donkey Kong Jungle Beat though, I know it adds some more levels but without bongo controls (and they were removed, for whatever moronic reason), it just seems like it'd but a LOT less fun...

TurboGrafx-16
--
Ninja Spirit - $11, from ebay - Moderately popular sidescrolling action-platform game. Fun stuff.

Genesis
--
Pier Solar and the Great Architects (reprint edition) - $45 - ordered online - Yeah, it came! I ordered a copy several months ago, shortly after they opened ordering for reprint edition copies of this new quite professionally put together Genesis game. The packaging really is impressive, with a full color manual, poster, authentic looking Genesis cartridge and plastic case, and nice cover (black with hatching, sort of reminding me of the early Genesis releases, but with gold as the second color). The game's an RPG, so we'll see how much I like the final version, but I felt like I had to get it...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th March 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I'm not saying they always break, just that they are more likely to, and that's enough.
I think that broken hinges or not, they look nice enough that I keep using them.

Quote:What? When did I ever say that I would prefer to see the disk than the cover art? I'm saying I can't understand why you say jewel cases look better, and the only thing I can even speculate would be the reason is their transparency, which I was saying was rendered meaningless by inserts making it opaque again.
... There's more to a case than whether it's transparent or not... I don't know, I just like the look of those large jewelcases better than DVD cases. They're a little bigger, which is nice, (taller, wider, thicker), transparent on the sides, not covered in plastic (all hard plastic, that is)... I don't dislike DVD cases, really, though I just like the design less. Oh, and the blue color of Sega CD cases is cool.

Quote:Well okay then, though I'm again confused as to why you think jewel cases look better, if the look has nothing to do with it.
I don't know what you mean, I said that I prefer the look of jewelcases, the larger ones in particular. But yeah as far as jewelcases go I do like the green Xbox ones better than standard black. I'm not sure whether I prefer black or Wii white DVD cases, though, the Wii ones' aren't so much better really as just different... but that is something that makes them stand out some even so.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 15th March 2011

Eh, I guess. My Sega CD cases aren't blue by the way, though the inserts tend to be. The sides being clear really doesn't make a difference to me. The left side has inserts either way, the top and bottom aren't very clear and all you really see is maybe the bottom of the manual. The right side gets extra artwork to show, so I guess there's that. I guess my problem with the big style jewel cases is there's one more thing between me and the game, that little foam insert you need to keep in there to keep the disk from coming loose. Also, in the case of Panzer Dragoon Saga, with all that space 3 of the 4 disks aren't even on any sort of spindle; they're put into their own cardboard sleeves.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th March 2011

... Of course I don't mean that the plastic itself is blue, but that the case color theme (manual sidebar with the system name on it, end and back insert) are blue...

As for the foam blocks, which are there to keep the discs from falling out in those large cases, I don't really mind them (because they do do their job and keep the disc in place), but only a few of my Sega CD and Saturn games with cases have the foam blocks anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

As for PD Saga, yeah I don't know. I have some two disc games in those cases (Ground Zero Texas, Fahrenheit), and both discs are in holders, but I guess they didn't come up with a good solution for four discs. Maybe it wasn't used often enough to be worth a special case or something? I can only think of a couple of US Sega CD or Saturn games with more than two discs. PD Saga, I think the Scottie Pippen FMV basketball game on Sega CD, anything else?

As for new games, one new one...

GBA
--
Shining Soul II - $7, cart only - Not bad, I'd been thinking about getting this pretty much since it came out, but never quite had at the $20 or more prices I've always seen it at... finally found a cheap copy, so I picked it up. :) It's the slightly Diablo-ish, action-RPG Shining game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 17th March 2011

And now I have Golden Axe for Genesis, box and manual, very good condition. I've been on a classic game kick lately, though oddly I haven't really been digging into them, except Rocket Knight, I have to say that's an incredible game.

I'll add something on this. The Genesis has some pretty infamously complicated "multitap" support. Golden Axe only supports 2 players, which is a tad disappointing compared to the arcade version, but that was par for the course on all systems with 2 controller ports at the time. It was the rare game that actually bothered to support multitaps. The Genesis actually had two different multitaps, with the unfortunate issue that they were designed differently enough that they weren't compatible with each other. Games that did support one didn't support the other (I suppose it might have been possible to design a game to be compatible with both versions, but I'm not aware of any games that had that foresight). On top of that, many EA Sports games didn't use either and instead had two extra controller ports built right into the cartridge. Aside from the issues of increased manufacturing costs, this was actually an ideal solution from the perspective of the player, who never had to worry about having the right multitap, or even whether their friends had one when bringing the game over.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th March 2011

I love Golden Axe, such a great classic... it's been one of my favorite beat 'em ups since the late '80s, I think. :)

Also, yeah, the Genesis' multitap situation is kind of a pain. EA games use one multitap standard, all other games another, so either you need two multitaps or you need one of the somewhat rarer dual-compatibility taps, such as the second model of Sega taps. I'm lucky enough to have one of those, but even there the thing has a switch with several different settings, so you need to set it to one of them (with only one wire plugged in) for the Sega-tap games and the other option (with both wires plugged in) for EA games. I wish they'd had just one format, but I presume that Sega didn't make a multitap soon enough, so EA designed its own first, and when Sega designed its own after that they decided to make something different, not like EA's. The light gun situation is similar, there's the Sega gun, the Menacer, supported by the 6-in-1 game it came with, Terminator 2: The Arcade Game, and the American Laser Games Sega CD titles, and also the Konami gun, the Justifier, supported by the Genesis/Sega CD Lethal Enforcers games and Snatcher on Sega CD.

There are other consoles with multiple, incompatible light guns too though, the PS1 has at least two different guns, maybe more...

Quote:On top of that, many EA Sports games didn't use either and instead had two extra controller ports built right into the cartridge.
Actually I think that only some Codemasters games used those "controller ports in the cartridge" games, and that all of those titles were Europe-only releases, as were most Codemasters games for the Genesis. They always wanted to make it easy to play multiplayer in the Micro Machines games, putting controller ports on the cart was an interesting solution...

Anyway, new games.

N64
--
Hexen - $3.50 (cart only) - Good port of the game (a game I've owned for PC since the '90s), and it has four player multiplayer too. The only negative is the insane 90 block memory card requirement. Yeah, I won't be playing this soon unless I buy another card just for it or something, unfortunately.

Game Boy
--
Radar Mission - $2, cart only - Early first party GB title. Two modes, one a Battleship clone and the other a somewhat unique target-shooting game where you control a sub and have to destroy the enemy fleet before an enemy sub destroys yours. You move left and right, firing at the enemy ships moving across the field in front of you with your torpedoes (they take a while to get to the target, so you'll have to lead them). You can submerge to avoid attacks or look at the map, but can't move or attack while submerged, only when surfaced. It's tough, haven't won a level yet because the computer always wins first. Fun though.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 18th March 2011

Ah yeah I got the company wrong, but some of those controller port-in-cart games were released in America I think. I saw some sitting in a bin in one of the Vintage Stocks around here.

Yeah, Sega didn't really take the best path there. Nintendo didn't release their multitap in time, Hudson beat them to it, but Nintendo went with it and just made that one the official multitap for everything. The light gun thing is a bit silly too. Nintendo's side didn't do much better. There were those "enforcer" guns and the Super Scope. To defend the enforcer guns, that super scope was about the most absurd thing to come out of the "to the extreme" 90's. Honestly, it had no business being so ridiculously over sized. There was really nothing that gun did that a smaller gun couldn't do. The "Menacer" wasn't much better, what with all those silly accessories that didn't really add anything to the game.

Edit: So I checked and I guess none of them were officially released in the US. I have to assume someone either imported the game or imported themselves to America and ended up selling it to a local shop that didn't bother to see whether or not it would work in an American Genesis. I've certainly seen the carts though. Never wanted the games it was put in though...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th March 2011

Quote:Never wanted the games it was put in though...
Micro Machines 2, Micro Machines '96, and Micro Machines Military were all Europe-exclusives in J-carts (what those are called), I love that series... I loved Micro Machines 1 for GB and 2 for PC back in the '90s, if the Genesis versions were easier/cheaper to get (and definitely worked on NTSC) I'd definitely be interested.

Quote:Yeah, Sega didn't really take the best path there. Nintendo didn't release their multitap in time, Hudson beat them to it, but Nintendo went with it and just made that one the official multitap for everything. The light gun thing is a bit silly too. Nintendo's side didn't do much better. There were those "enforcer" guns and the Super Scope. To defend the enforcer guns, that super scope was about the most absurd thing to come out of the "to the extreme" 90's. Honestly, it had no business being so ridiculously over sized. There was really nothing that gun did that a smaller gun couldn't do. The "Menacer" wasn't much better, what with all those silly accessories that didn't really add anything to the game.
SNES Konami Enforcer? I'd forgotten about that one... yeah, I guess it did exist. But yeah, at least there the Super Scope was pretty clearly not that good. Though I've never used a Menacer so I don't know if it was much better... at least the Konami guns are wired instead of battery powered.

But yeah, you're also right about the SNES multitap, Nintendo just decided to make Hudson's the official multitap, instead of competing with it with one of their own. Unless it was a licensed product from the beginning (in Japan I mean), and Nintendo decided that before it was released... either way, yeah, Nintendo just left that to Hudson. Sega decided they wanted a different one, not EA's. In their defense, Sega's is in some ways better than EA's -- EAs is a little box that plugs into the controller ports, while Sega's has wires with a separate box so it's nicer looking and a little more secure. Also the Sega model allows for two multitaps to be attached, because each one only needs one cord, so you can play with eight players. Though very few games support more than four players, there are a few sports games that do. EA's takes up both ports for the one tap so it's four player max.

Quote:Ah yeah I got the company wrong, but some of those controller port-in-cart games were released in America I think. I saw some sitting in a bin in one of the Vintage Stocks around here.
Yeah, I assume it was an import. You do see such things once in a while.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2011

I suppose you could do the same with the SNES multitap (8 players I mean), though I really don't know if any SNES games made use of it.

I've seen the enforcer, but I don't have one. The one thing it has about the Super Scope is that if you take off the 2 extra parts, it's a perfectly manageable size (and neither part really added anything if I recall, no buttons or anything).

At any rate, most of those old light guns depended on specific timing that modern TVs aren't capable of, so if you want to use any of them, you'd need an old TV. Something that did the old line by line drawing to display lines and was very quick getting the image to the screen with no delays (something analog, in other words). Even CRT HDTVs have too big a timing delay to work with them.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th March 2011

Genesis
--
Fun & Games - $2, cart only - Such awesomely horrible early '90s artwork on this cartridge... I was expecting bad things from this, and it partially lived up to expectations. It's mostly a Mario Paint knockoff, with a couple of simple little '80s-ish arcade style games in it as well. The Mario Paint part has a painting part and a music creation part. It's not bad really, except for one thing... no saving. What's the point when it can't save anything? Sure Mario Paint had limited saving (one image only), but this has nothing... kind of makes that part of the game pointless.

as for the arcade games, one is a Pac-Man ish maze game. It's probably the best one, and is decent if quite simple. You're a mouse in a maze full of cat enemies, collect the items. Bones turn you into a dog, which lets you defeat the cats. The second game is a shooter-style game, where you have a sight on the screen and have to shoot enemy targets that are flying around. Shoot all the ones in a stage and they combine into a boss; defeat the boss and they scatter again in the next level pattern. The problem with this game is figuring out why you're taking damage -- so far as far as I can tell you just ... get hurt sometimes, and there aren't health powerups. It's kind of weird. I've managed to get to level 3, but unless I'm missing something I can't see getting much farther. The last is whack-a-mole, but with clowns. Controls are kind of annoying.

Overall, was it worth $2? Um, probably not, but maybe. I was expecting it to be worse, actually... it's just somewhat disappointing (considering what it is and tries to be), not utterly terrible.

Oh, I'm not sure if it has mouse support or not, I don't have a Mega Mouse. The arcade games section does show a "gamepad recommended" icon on the screen, though, which gives me a little hope that maybe it has Mega Mouse support. I wouldn't count on it though, I'll have to find that out.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I suppose you could do the same with the SNES multitap (8 players I mean), though I really don't know if any SNES games made use of it.
You'd think, but I'm pretty sure the SNES supports only one multitap, so the SNES is five player max (four on the tap, one in the other controller port). No game supports more than five players. Also odd is that you're supposed to plug the multitap into controller port two, not 1... the four ports on it are labelled 2 to 5.

Quote:I've seen the enforcer, but I don't have one. The one thing it has about the Super Scope is that if you take off the 2 extra parts, it's a perfectly manageable size (and neither part really added anything if I recall, no buttons or anything).
I don't think I've even seen the Konami SNES gun, light guns aren't all that common (apart from NES Zappers) really. I've seen Super Scopes, some random third party Playstation gun, the Saturn gun (Sega Stunner), and I have a NES Zapper and a SMS light phaser (um, and a Wii Zapper, but that's different), and my cousins have a Genesis Justifier so I've used that a few times, but that's about it.

Quote:At any rate, most of those old light guns depended on specific timing that modern TVs aren't capable of, so if you want to use any of them, you'd need an old TV. Something that did the old line by line drawing to display lines and was very quick getting the image to the screen with no delays (something analog, in other words). Even CRT HDTVs have too big a timing delay to work with them.
That at least isn't an issue for me, I don't have any TVs that it wouldn't work with.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 20th March 2011

Sorry I meant Menacer in my last post, not Enforcer.

The whole idea of a Mario Paint knockoff on the Genesis is failed from the start. The Genesis can compete with the SNES on some levels, but in terms of both color count and sound, it lags behind. That is, the two things that Mario Paint and anything trying to copy it would need to be good at. As an aside, pretty much everyone I know played Mario Paint for the music player more than the painting. Yes it used a mouse, but I got a lot more fun out of some children's painting program in DOS back then than that. Oh, yeah I did have fun with the fly swatting game, so there's that too I suppose.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd March 2011

Quote:The whole idea of a Mario Paint knockoff on the Genesis is failed from the start. The Genesis can compete with the SNES on some levels, but in terms of both color count and sound, it lags behind. That is, the two things that Mario Paint and anything trying to copy it would need to be good at. As an aside, pretty much everyone I know played Mario Paint for the music player more than the painting. Yes it used a mouse, but I got a lot more fun out of some children's painting program in DOS back then than that. Oh, yeah I did have fun with the fly swatting game, so there's that too I suppose.

That's not being fair, sure the SNES has better graphics and sound than the Genesis, but the Genesis could do some nice things too... certainly more than good enough to do for basic painting and audio programs.

Also, yeah I have Mario Paint and the SNES mouse, the mouse isn't something I've used much (apart from the flyswatter game Mario Paint isn't interesting) but at least it makes TinStar, Terminator 2: The Arcade Game, and Arkanoid: Return of Doh much more fun. :)

New stuff

Genesis
--
Championship Pro-Am - $5, complete (cardboard box title) - It's just a port of the original NES game, which I have, but for $5, complete, meh, why not?

PC (both jewelcase only, with the manual in the jewelcase, $4 each)
--
A Fork in the Tale - 1997 PC-only FMV game. 5-CD game. I think reviews said it was okay for a "watch the video and occasionally interact" FMV game, but the game utterly bombed at retail because by '97 people just weren't interested in FMV games anymore. I don't like the FMV game genre much, but occasionally they can be amusing... we'll see how this one is.
Blade Runner - Late '90s PC adventure game from Westwood. Four CD game. I've always heard good things about this game. It's odd there aren't more Blade Runner games, this is one of the only ones... cool find.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 25th March 2011

NES
--
Alien Syndrome - $3, cart only - The better home port of the game... the SMS version really is pretty bad. Not even 2 player simultaneous there.

Game Boy (all cart only, $2 ea.)
--
Kirby's Dream Land - This was one of the first GB games I ever owned, as a Christmas present the same year I got my GB (the other game was Super Mario Land), but after a year or so I traded it to my cousin for Zelda: Link's Awakening (he was too young to read at that point and it came as a packin with his system) and never re-purchased it. I kept the box and manual, but didn't have the game again until now. I said 'eh, why not' and got it. I'd played it a bit in emulation before, but still it's certainly nostalgic to play it again... it's still really short and easy though, though the hard mode is a better challenge.
Kirby's Star Stacker
Tetris

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th March 2011

WiiWare
--
Mega Man 10 - $10

Wii Virtual Console
--
Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood - $9

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th March 2011

Box from ebay. I just couldn't resist and bid, and then no one else bid and I won... total was $56 including shipping, which is pretty good considering that it includes 15 games and the official Sega wheel controller (all for the Saturn)!

Okay, five were games I have already, but still, a good deal.

Controllers:
--
Grey Japanese-style controller (is this a Japanese controller? I thought the US controllers were all black, not grey like this...)
3D Controller (awesome to have another one, this was another reason I bought this!)
Sega Arcade Racer wheel controller (and here is the other main reason I bought this. I'd wanted the wheel but not for the money it'd cost just to get the wheel, so this was perfect... it's cool to have, and works perfectly. Oh, and Virtua Racing Saturn actually does work in analog with this! The game is digital only with all other Saturn controllers, unlike other Saturn racing games, but it's analog with this. It makes an incredible difference.)

Games I have already:
--
Astal (no manual) - second copy
Virtua Fighter (small jewelcase (original packin?) version, I just had it loose) - second copy
NiGHTS into dreams... (small jewelcase ver. that came w/ the 3d controller) - Yes, I now have three copies of this game. I really need to sell at least one...
Daytona USA (complete) - my fourth copy... but this game has no value (so, so common), who'd buy it when it comes with everything just about?
NHL All-Star Hockey (complete)

Games that I did not have before
--
Resident Evil
Clockwork Knight (no manual)
Myst (no manual)
Sega Sports Worldwide Soccer '97
Panzer Dragoon (no manual) (note I did used to have another copy of this, but I accidentally broke the disc, and had been wanting a replacement...)
Impact Racing
Gex
Solar Eclipse
Grid Runner
Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2011

Sega CD
--
Racing Aces - complete, $5 (good hinges, but there's a crack on the cover) - interesting effort, but the 3d probably was just too much for the system... poor framerate.
Sol-Feace - in its cardboard jewelcase, $5 - Okay game. Probably my least favorite Sega CD shmup, but all six Sega CD shmups are quite good.
Sewer Shark - jewelcase and manual, $3

Saturn
--
Magical School Lunar! (Import Japanese game) - $10, from EBay - as a Lunar fan I had to get it eventually, and the game got no Western release. At least there's that translation on Lunarnet.

SNES
--
Wario's Woods - $7, cart only

GBA
--
WarioWare Twisted - $7, cart only - The one with the motion sensor and rumble unit inside the (oversized) cart. Most microgames use rotation for control, not buttons; it's actually challenging and works well, I like it a lot. It's probably better than WarioWare Touched for DS, the touchscreen-only controls of that game make it far too easy until you reach the very highest difficulty/speed levels (when it finally gets hard). This one's trickier from the start.

Dreamcast - $4 for the five games, but they are scratched. I looked and couldn't see light through the discs so hopefully they're either fixable or working.
--
MSR: Metropolis Street Racer (complete)
Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing (complete) (have already, but disc only)
NBA 2k2 (complete)
Virtua Tennis (no manual) (have already, but disc only and damaged)
Ducati World Racing (complete)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th April 2011

PC (all jewelcase only, no manuals unless noted)
--
KKND - $2 (average early '97 DOS RTS)
KKND Xtreme - $3 (standalone addon to the above, Win9x)
Shadowcaster - $3 - Origin/Raven FPS-RPG hybrid game in an id engine halfway in between Wolf 3D and Doom. Crashes constantly on my older computer, annoyingly, and I can't find any patches. Maybe it'll run better in DOSBox? I'll have to try it. :(
Sonic CD - $1 - Win9x port of the Sega CD game. Expert Software jewelcase-only release, so it has the "manual".
Black & White - $2 - Never played it before, but this is the one that really started the trend of Molyneux games being considered disappointing compared to the hype.
Half-Life: Opposing Force - $2 - I only have the original game, not the addons.
MechWarrior 2 - $2 - Finally, I have the original DOS version of MechWarrior 2! This is a just awesome find, and something I've been looking for for quite a while -- the Win9x version (that I've owned since 1997) doesn't work playably in modern versions of Windows, so you need this version to still be able to play it on a newer machine. Plus I have the box and all contents from this game, from a year or two ago (Salvation Army got a bunch of computer games, but some had no discs; I asked for a few of the boxes of games missing their media and they gave me them.), so I have it complete now. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 14th April 2011

Nice find. It's surprising how Sega Saturn stuff, rare stuff, can slip under the radar on eBay like that.

In fact, I just won a copy of D for the Saturn today for about $20. I've heard good things about it and hope to play it soon, though as I've said I need to figure out how to fix the small texture issue in the system first.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th April 2011

Yeah, EBay is funny. Sometimes games go for quite a lot, but then other times you can get pretty good deals... that Saturn lot there was definitely one of the latter type. :)

As for D, I've heard about it, but have never played it. I know it's a graphic adventure of sorts, played any versions of it before?

As for today...

Playstation (PSX)
--
Beyond the Beyond - $2, complete - looks quite generic, but for that price I'll try it.
Assault: Retribution - complete, this and all games below were $11 total (so $1 each). All others (after this one) are disc only unless noted, though I was given a couple of blank DVD cases for a couple of them.
RayCrisis: Series Termination - disc and manual - Find of the day, I think... RayCrisis, for $1? Awesome!
Primal Rage - never really liked this game, but for $1 eh why not.
SledStorm
Crash 2
Gex: Enter the Gecko - the second Gex game, the first 3d platformer one.

PS2
--
Suikoden IV - I already have the manual for this, now I have the disc too...
Ridge Racer V
Chaos Legion

Xbox
--
Fable: The Lost Chapters (game disc and bonus DVD disc)
Xbox Live Arcade demodisc

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 18th April 2011

So about my Sega Saturn: http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129602&postcount=20

I found out that it's actually perfectly fine, it's my TV that's the issue. After doing some research, I found out that the Saturn, as it couldn't do true transparency effects simply simulated it with texture "stipple" patterns, making use of the "interlaced" nature of TVs to simply switch the stipple back and forth with each half-frame drawn, which produced a very nice transparency effect. I confirmed that in each the games with "ugly patterns" in place of something that should be there, it was always something that was supposed to be transparent, such as the big globes of water in Nights or the shadow under my character in Panzer Dragoon Saga. This knowledge in hand, I hooked my Saturn up to my old TV and noticed everything looked exactly as it should, and knowing what to look for also noticed a little bit of a visual "flicker" on those transparent objects. It's a very nice illusion, which is why I barely recognized it when it was gone.

It seems on my current TV it automatically "deinterlaces" a lot of feeds (I had previously noticed that in SMB2, my characters weren't flashing correctly when I crouched, instead appearing with locked colors, this is probably related to this). Since interlacing was used and abused to make a lot of game effects back then, I'll probably notice a few more if I start looking around. I've also read that this is a common issue, and that many modern TVs do have a fix in the hidden "repair" menus to disable deinterlacing. I'm going to try and find out how to get to that menu for my model in a bit to see if I can do this for my own TV. If so, then I'll also see if that fixes the light gun issues (this could affect the timing issues as well, but it could be more fundamental, so maybe not, worth a try though).

I also got D in today. Good condition, but disk 1 is chipped along the edge. The edge is used in Saturn games to store the copyright protection, so the end result is I can't even start the game. I'm contacting the seller about this, but in the end I may still be in luck. Every now and then you get some incomplete single part on eBay sold way below normal price, and I found a "disk 1" for D all by itself for about $5. I'll probably end up getting that if the original seller doesn't have a replacement.

Oh, just to add to it, I also got Duck Tales for the NES, another instant classic, with the manual which explains to me for the first time what all those treasures are actually supposed to be. Turns out that hunk of cheese is a hunk of cheese, OF HEALING!

I also found Chip and Dale for NES, which isn't as well known as Duck Tales but I still consider it a classic.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th April 2011

Huh, that's interesting, so on newer TVs interlacing doesn't appear correctly? I've heard about lightguns not working on them, about Master System 3D glasses requiring an older TV to work, etc., but I don't think I'd heard that one... I guess it makes sense, but it is annoying that older games have all of these issues, because of the shortcomings of modern TV design. (My TV's a mid '00s CRT, displays older games fine but it isn't very big).

But yeah, while it is possible to do transparencies on the Saturn, it's quite difficult (it doesn't have hardware transparency so it would have to be done in software I believe), so most of the time interpolation was used, for very clumsy "transparency" effects. I mean, it looks okay from a distance, but you can tell that it's just alternating normal and white pixels, it's not as good as real transparency. Compare the shield effect in Saturn Wipeout to PSX Wipeout, the weapon effects in general look pretty bad on Saturn, but that one does stand out. Of course though Saturn Wipeout's still better because of the control improvements, and the game looks okay. It just doesn't look as good. But anyway, it's good that you figured out what the problem was. Too bad about the ebay disc though, that is one downside about ordering things online... you never know for SURE what the condition's going to be. Of course though, even in stores you can't always see scratches on CD, I look but sometimes I miss them and end up with scratched games that need resurfacing or, in a few cases, don't work.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 19th April 2011

I found out how to get into the hidden service menu on my TV, but unfortunately there is no option to turn off the automatic "de-interlacing" it does. That's a shame. Modern sets actually could work very well with old stuff if they'd only do a few minimum changes to accommodate power users and retro gamers. It'd all be done in the firmware and, possibly, with some speedups of the signal processing (perhaps the older inputs could bypass any processing whatsoever and simply go straight to the screen).

That's the sort of thing that could be interesting, custom firmware for TV sets. They all have USB slots in them these days, it's probably feasible.

I'll have the chipped disk resolved one way or another pretty soon, so it's okay. I think it may be due to damage during shipping. Those big jewel cases, as I've mentioned, have too much room inside for disks to fly around. I may request that those games in particular, in the future, have the disks individually wrapped for protection instead of simply being shipped in the case as-is, as well as making sure the package is marked "fragile". There's easily enough room within the case for a layer of bubble wrap (well, except for Panzer Dragoon Saga, but that's a tight enough fit that I don't think it's an issue there). Incidentally, I see you mentioned Nights in the "small jewel case" up there. I don't think there's a "big jewel case" version of that game, since it came in a box with the "3D controller". That's what I got. That 3D controller is really nice. Honestly the 3D controller on the Saturn is superior to the Dreamcast one in pretty much every way. There's more buttons, the analog triggers (yes, the triggers are actually analog) feel a bit better, the d-pad is much nicer (based as it is on the Genesis d-pad), and the analog stick is simply vastly superior. There's even a slot where the cord detaches which, I imagine, could also double as an accessory port for, say, a VMU screen. It's a shame the Saturn did so badly... In America. In Japan, it actually did very well, becoming Sega's most successful system. That's probably because of Segata Sanshiro.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th April 2011

Quote:. Incidentally, I see you mentioned Nights in the "small jewel case" up there. I don't think there's a "big jewel case" version of that game, since it came in a box with the "3D controller". That's what I got.
No, it was released in a standard Saturn case as well as the bundled version. As I said I have three copies of Nights now (one I bought on its own, two that came with collections of games later on). One of the three is the full-sized case version. That was the first version I got, actually, the other two are the small-jewelcase versions (one of which came with the outer cardboard box, the other (the recent one, from the stuff I got above) did not.). Oh, the manual is the same either way, as the small jewelcase doesn't have a manual in it but it came with a normal-sized manual in the cardboard box.

The game does work without a 3d controller, even if it's way better with one. It makes sense that they also released a standard version (though it might be less common, yeah.)

Quote:Those big jewel cases, as I've mentioned, have too much room inside for disks to fly around. I may request that those games in particular, in the future, have the disks individually wrapped for protection instead of simply being shipped in the case as-is, as well as making sure the package is marked "fragile".

I haven't had any Saturn games break in transit myself, but yeah, I have heard of the problem, and it does make sense -- those cases are large, and particularly if there's not a foam block in the case (as there usually isn't), it's possible for for the disc to get loose inside the case and be damaged...

Quote:That 3D controller is really nice. Honestly the 3D controller on the Saturn is superior to the Dreamcast one in pretty much every way. There's more buttons, the analog triggers (yes, the triggers are actually analog) feel a bit better, the d-pad is much nicer (based as it is on the Genesis d-pad), and the analog stick is simply vastly superior. There's even a slot where the cord detaches which, I imagine, could also double as an accessory port for, say, a VMU screen.
Yeah, the Saturn 3D controller really is awesome. It's one of my favorite gamepads (not quite the equal of the N64 controller, but one of the best after it). The DC controller does have two things over it -- rumble and the VMU screen -- but the two additional face buttons and much better d-pad in particular make the Saturn pad the superior one for sure. As for the triggers (and analog stick), they are different but I'm not certain which I prefer. The analog stick is sadly infrequently used (only some, later titles were designed for it, and earlier ones were designed for the Mission Stick or Arcade Racer and are best with those, and as I have both of those...), so it's harder to compare, but it is a pretty good stick, with an interesting and somewhat unique design. The same is true for the triggers, except even fewer games use them... still, nice to have for the few that do, and they do feel and work very well, regardless of whether games are using them in analog. It's just an all-around fantastic controller, it really is too bad that Sega made things worse with their next one. The DC controller is still pretty good... but it definitely doesn't match the Saturn 3D controller. I always use the 3D controller when playing Saturn games on a gamepad, I have some model 2 controllers but I like the 3d controller better, dpad or analog.

Oh, as for the removable cord, yeah it is odd... I think I read something about there being plans for a wireless adapter, or something? It never happened though, there's nothing to plug into it other than the cord. I'm not sure if a rumble unit or VMU-style screen could have gone there, it'd depend on how the controller cord was designed (what it can send to the controller, etc.), I'd think.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 19th April 2011

I tend to rate the controllers based on the controller all by itself, it's raw potential, more than how it actually ended up being used. The 3D controller may not have been used much, but for me that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's true that the difference is that Dreamcast accessories actually were released, but again I'm just speaking of the controller's potential more than how it actually got used. The big question, as you mention, is just whether or not a signal can be sent to the controller as well as from it. If you've got those two things, you can pretty much attach whatever you want. I believe it could receive one. It's a continuous circuit, so it's just a matter of games being able to modify the circuit from connector to controller into pulses of some kind, at which point there's two way communication. Considering that the PS1 controllers, which originally had no reason to send output to the controller, were still eventually successfully modified with force feedback, I'm pretty sure it'd work out perfectly fine.

I've been looking into restoring my SNES recently. I've found what seems to be the major cause of them turning yellow.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

It seems some batches of plastic had improper mixing during the first runs of the SNES, and as a result they are much more susceptible to yellowing over time. In mine, the top is yellow but the bottom is still a nice grey (luckily the top isn't nearly as bad as a lot I've seen, much more mild). As for "restoring" it, there's a lot of rather heavy handed methods available, but the general conclusion is the surface of the plastic has been changed at a chemical level and there's no going back, so most of them involve either painting it or removing the surface layer to show the grey underneath. I sanded a small part on the back of mine and confirmed it's still grey in there.

As for the reset switch and power port, I may have found a dead SNES I can salvage those parts off of. There's only two points that need to be desoldered and resoldered on the power port, and 4 for the reset switch. All of them are large and a safe distance from other components, which makes it easier. The dead SNES is yellow on both top and bottom, so I can't salvage that to fix the discoloration, but I can use the shell to test out ways of removing it from my own.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

This is the method I'm going to try. I've had a "black light" for some time now, which should do the trick for providing UV. I think I have the rest around here somewhere, so I just need to measure it out correctly and set up a timer. However, I'll wait for the dead system so I don't end up with a bleached white SNES top or something. Should it work, I'll see about applying some sealant to it.

One other thing. When I was inside, I noticed the rust wasn't as bad as I remembered. I also attempted to remove some of it. I tried simply using some sand paper to get it off. The circuit board is pretty much untouched. It was all along the metal edges of the board and some other solid metal components. The sand paper did a pretty good job of removing a lot of the rust. There's still a few traces of corrosion here and there, but the majority of it is gone. I used a finer grain to smooth down the metal after the rougher sanding. It's not buffed down, but it still looks pretty good and that's all inside the case anyway. There was a little bit of rust spreading to some of the contacts for two of the chips in the system. I picked off as much of the rust as I felt safe getting to using a tiny screw driver (again, not very much at all), but the general point is that without some intervention, that rust would have spread to the electrical components. I'll need to get some sealant for the metal as well to prevent the rust from returning.

Speaking of, I've found one of the best substances for removing magic marker and a bunch of other stains from plastic and even the glossy stickers on cartridges. It's something called "Goo Gone" and it does wonders. I tested a lot of stuff before finding this (as my copy of Ultima with a big worn out spot and white discoloration can attest to). It works incredibly well and doesn't do any damage to the cartridge itself (and so long as care is taken, none to glossy stickers either). It's good enough that when I go looking for used games, I don't worry about any writing or stickers on the games so long as the game itself isn't damaged in some way. It just takes a little time and persistence to get it off. For more stubborn markings, it can take a number of attempts, each time making it lighter and lighter by a very small amount, but it all gets cleared up eventually. I was very happy to finally find a way to remove some VERY old "Mauc's Video Game Exchange" stamps from some used games I got during the late 80's (one nice thing about that place is they photocopied instruction manuals for games so every game could have a manual, though it was in very poor quality and in black and white).

Quote:I tend to rate the controllers based on the controller all by itself, it's raw potential, more than how it actually ended up being used. The 3D controller may not have been used much, but for me that doesn't change my opinion of it. It's true that the difference is that Dreamcast accessories actually were released, but again I'm just speaking of the controller's potential more than how it actually got used.
Potential matters, but how something was actually used matters too. I do think you need to consider both, if there' a feature but almost no games use it it does make it somewhat less useful, except maybe for future homebrew or hypothetical scenarios of how much better the system could have been supported and stuff. Now those definitely can be fun, but they don't usually result in new things to actually do with, say, those analog triggers on the 3D Controller.

I don't really care either way in that case because the triggers are so comfortable and easy to use (much better than shoulder buttons no question!) that it doesn't really matter, but in some cases it could.

Quote: The big question, as you mention, is just whether or not a signal can be sent to the controller as well as from it. If you've got those two things, you can pretty much attach whatever you want. I believe it could receive one. It's a continuous circuit, so it's just a matter of games being able to modify the circuit from connector to controller into pulses of some kind, at which point there's two way communication. Considering that the PS1 controllers, which originally had no reason to send output to the controller, were still eventually successfully modified with force feedback, I'm pretty sure it'd work out perfectly fine.
That's true, they managed to get rumble working on the PSX, it does seem like there's a good chance maybe the Saturn could have done it too... but I know why they didn't try, Nintendo created console rumble in 1997 and that was way too late for the Saturn to respond, it was fading even in Japan by the time Star Fox 64 came out.

There's a buy 2 get 2 free sale at Gamestop for the next week on GBA, GC, and PS2 games. Also, Gamestop has stopped buying used GBA games and accessories now, since early April. They canned GBA support right around the 3DS release, obviously. (They did this with Xbox years ago, but I think they still might take PS2 and GC?)

So, I bought stuff, both there (For the PS2 and GC games in this list) and at another store (the classic stuff).

Game Boy - GB/GBC games $3 each, buy 2 get 1 free (so $6 total)
--
Street Racer
Boomer's Adventure in Asmik World

GBC - all cart only.
--
Army Men: Air Combat (as part of above deal)
Inspector Gadget: Operation Madkactus - $2
Test Drive Cycles - $2

Genesis
--
Fire Shark - $10, cart in case - another Toaplan shooter. It costs this much on ebay to get a cart only copy, copies with the box are more... though no manual, but still a good find.

NES
--
Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (cart only)- $5 ea. for the next 3, another buy 2 get 1 free deal. Action game with several gameplay styles -- first person target shooting, sidescrolling platforming, and shmup/vehicular combat. Good game, but not great. Awesomely bad cartridge art. :)
Rolling Thunder - I love this game so much... I'd been looking for it for quite a while, it's just a fantastic find. Rolling Thunder is very hard, but outstanding.

Playstation
--
Novastorm - complete longbox copy, as the third game in the above deal. The case is cracked, but otherwise intact, including the hinges. This two disc game is an enhanced version of the original version of Novastorm released earlier for the Sega CD (on one disc there I believe). This uses the Sega CD/Sega Saturn style of longbox case. Awesome. :)
Project Horned Owl - complete normal jewelcase. $4. It's a lightgun shooter, makes me wish I had a PSX mouse or Konami Enforcer...

GC (buy 2 get 2 free so I had to find stuff to fill this out once I decided I wanted Gladius)
--
Gladius - $6, disc in Gamestop case
Megaman X Command Mission - $6, complete
Naruto Clash of Ninja 2 - free, would have been $5, complete
Cel Damage - free, would have been $3, no manual

PS2 (buy 2 get 2 free)
--
SpyHunter 2 - $5 (complete)
Savage Skies - $4 (disc and case, no manual)
Shinobi - free, would have been $3 (disc in Gamestop case)
Barbarian - free, would have been $3 (complete)

DS
--
Nintendo DS Rumble Pak - $2, from Gamestop. Not sure if I have compatible games, but I don't remember seeing these in Gamestop before, and they were with the GBA games, so I got one. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd April 2011

NES - $3 ea.
--
Pinball - cart only
Burgertime - cart only
A Boy and his Blob - cart and sleeve
Genesis
--
Hardball - complete, $4

N64
--
Robotron 64 - $7, cart only (I'd kind of been looking for this one...)

The rest is from Gamestop. Prices are rounded but based on the "10% off" price you get with the card. Total $39.40 inc. tax.

Xbox (Gamestop, it's 75% off now; they stopped taking original Xbox games several years ago, and have had deals all the time for some time (buy 2 get 2 free, buy 1 get 2 or 3 free, etc...) so it's a little surprising I still find decent ones sometimes, but I do)
--
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - $3.40 (no manual)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - $1.80 (generic case)

PS2 (buy 2 get 2 free)
--
Seek and Destroy - $3 - complete
.Hack part 2 - Mutation - $13.50 - complete (w/ Liminality vol. 2 DVD)
Micro Machines - free (would be $3) - disc only (the Infogrammes one)
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai - free (would be $3), disc only

Gamecube - not great selection there, but just enough to maybe be worth it with the buy 2 get 2 free deal, certainly wouldn't have been without it.
--
Star Fox Assault - $11.70 - complete - meh, I guess I had to get it sometime.
Tarzan Untamed - free, would be $5 - complete
Donkey Konga 2 - free, would be $6 - generic case
Chaos Field - $5 - generic case

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd April 2011

More stuff from two more area Gamestops mostly thanks to the GBA/PS2/GC buy 2 get 2 deal (that ends tomorrow).

DS (card only)
--
Planet Puzzle League - $7 - Great find... :)
SBK: Snowboard Kids - $4

Wii
--
Ultimate Shooting Collection - $10, new - Not the greatest games (Milestone's mediocre), but I like shmups enough that for this price I caved.

PS2
--
PS2 DVD remote with reciever - $3

Now for the buy 2 get 2 stuff. (They seem to choose which ones to charge for somewhat randomly...)

GBA (all cart only)
--
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - free, would have been $20
Bomberman Tournament - free, would have been $3
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket - $3.60
F-Zero GP Legend - $4.50
CT Special Forces - $3

GC
--
Mario Kart: Double Dash - $18 (complete, with bonus demo disc)
Tube Slider - free, would have been $3 (no manual)
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble - free, would have been $5 (no manual)
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn - free would have been $5 (port of Summoner 2) (no manual)
Soul Calibur II - $7.20 (complete; got because my Soul Calibur II disc doesn't work anymore, I'd been looking to replace it for some time now.)

PS2
--
Disgaea 2 - $18 (complete)
Tekken 5 - free, would have been $15 (disc in generic case)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th April 2011

PC (jewelcase only CD games)
--
Doom II - $2
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - $2

Would have bought some more from another place, but that store is crazy if they think 15 year old jewelcase only PC games like those are worth $5 each.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 29th April 2011

PS2
--
PS2 multitap (official), with a PS2 controller too - $9 (great price for this, multitaps alone are usually $10-15 around here, and controllers as much...)

Vampire Night with Guncon2 gun - $11 (it doesn't have the AV merger adapter, but I can get one of those easily.)

Game Boy
--
Amazing Penguin - $3.75

PC (digital distribution, Direct2Drive sale)
--
Assault Heroes - $5
Aces of the Galaxy - $5 - Two late Sierra Online titles, from the last couple of years before Activision shut down Sierra's last remnants. This one's just a rail shooter, not a sim like the older aces games, but oh well...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th April 2011

NES - $1 each, loose carts
--
Rush'n Attack
Jackal

The four games below were $10 total.
PS2
--
Popcap Arcade Vol. 1 (Bejeweled 2, AstroPop; got it for the latter one)

Xbox
--
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (the reason I got this stuff)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (so I'd have all three of them)

Gamecube
--
Super Monkey Ball Adventures (heard it's not so great, but eh, I kind of wanted to try it anyway and it was cheap)

Also, for $3 I got the adapter needed for that PS2 lightgun.