Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 5th May 2010

5/5

NES
--
Abadox - Pretty cool shmup with some interesting, creepy-ish graphics... I'd been looking for this one for a while. $5, cart only.

Game Gear ($5 for both games, both with case)
--
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Columns

Dreamcast
--
Rayman 2 ($5, complete)
Jet Grind Radio ($8, complete)
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker (disc only, $1) - short but fun racing game
Virtua Tennis (disc only, $1)

I already had burned versions of JGR and Rayman 2, sure, but when I have a chance to own the real thing, I'm going to take it... and I did. Both are fantastic games, but I'm particularly happy to find JGR, that game is fantastic (Rayman 2 is too, but I have owned it on PC for a long time, and beat that version years back).

5/7

$20 for the three. Not an amazing price, but eh, worth it I think.

N64
--
Banjo-Kazooie -- I'd already had this, but gave my copy away as a gift... this is replacing that.

Dreamcast
--
Daytona USA (great game of course, a true classic...)
Crazy Taxi 2

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2010

PC, Direct62Drive Spring Sale (gotten right near the end)
--
Civilization IV Complete - $10

I know, Steam has it for $10 too, but I prefer D2D because it actually lets you install the game where you want and install and run it normally instead of having to launch it through Steam every time, and D2D also had it on sale for the same price, so I got that version.

I'd passed on Civ IV when it came out of course because of how disappointed Civ III left me, but for this price, I eventually decided that I couldn't refuse... we'll see, whenever I get around to finding the time to actually play the game some. :)

These two were $8 for the two. Both are cart only.

Genesis
--
Gargoyles

N64
--
Bomberman Hero

Gargoyles has fantastic graphics and animation, but some very frustrating gameplay and some iffy controls. This is what I've always heard about the game, and it's why I wasn't sure if it was worth getting (beautiful but frustrating? Ehh... I don't know...), but I ended up getting it. And indeed, it looks fantastic, with graphics that do about as much as you could with the limited color palette of the Geneiss, but the gameplay's ... not quite up to that level. Enemies are annoying and you get hit easily, your health can drain fast, it's got frustrating jumping puzzles from the second level, and the boss of the first world... ack! I got to him with like five lives left, and quickly lost them all. It's a very frustrating boss who has a lightning attack that hits where you were standing when he fired it. If you stop moving you get hit, and it hurts you BADLY. On Normal you die in three or four hits, while you need to hit the guy dozens of times to kill him. Ack, I couldn't even get him to half health before getting game over. Maybe I'll see if it's any easier in Easy...

As for Bomberman Hero, I'd always passed on it because it has no multiplayer and all reviews agreed that Bomberman 64 was better, but it does actually look like an okay 3d platformer, so I got it. Haven't played it enough to say much yet.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2010

PSX games -- all are disc and manual in generic case only. $13 for all of them. ($2.50 to $3 each)
--
SaGa Frontier
Ghost in the Shell
Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu
Project Overkill (never heard of this one)
Kartia: The Word of Fate

Even without the cases, I think that a few of these were pretty good deals... Kartia and SaGa Frontier, specifically.

These six PS2 and Xbox games were $20 total. All six are complete.
PS2
--
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Xbox
--
Dragon's Lair 3D
I-Ninja
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Star Wars: The Clone Wars / Tetris Worlds

Gamecube
--
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (disc only, $2)

Saturn games
--
Criticom - $2, complete (working hinges)
Cyberia - $3, complete (broken hinges), with the Prima Official Cyberia Strategy Guide -- the guide decided things for me (considering that I already have the better PC version of the game), sure it's not really needed for this CG FMV game, but it's entertaining stuff even so... it's kind of an odd guide, it's written in the first-person, which is odd, and basically is a story of someone going through the story in the game, as an "I did this" as if they are in the story. There's a screenshot on almost every page, with text below. Odd stuff.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2010

Pretty good deals on SaGa Frontier, Jade Cocoon, and Kartia. I'd definitely pick those three up at that price. Project Overkill sounds pretty interesting too.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2010

Yeah, definitely. You don't often see any PSX RPGs for cheap, the whole genre now seems to have gotten more and more overpriced...

They had a few more disc and manual only games too, but some of them I already have copies of (Koudelka, The Granstream Saga), and others I passed on, for now at least... I don't know if I really want Contra: Legacy of War, for example. :D (Maybe the Saturn version...)

I was also pretty happy to find I-Ninja for cheap, I've been wanting to try that game for quite some time now... and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath usually seems to be like $15 and up around here, so that was a nice find, I think.

On a related note, of my recent purchases, the one I've been playing the most is Tetrisphere. It's kind of easy so far, but it's a really fun game, and I can certainly see it getting hectic later on. It's nothing like Tetris really, but a quite fun puzzle game. Great music too, like the reviews say. I'll probably have more to say on this one...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2010

Locally:

These three games were given to me for free.
Saturn
--
Daytona USA
Sega Rally Championship
NHL All-Star Hockey

All three are complete with case and manual, but all three case covers either are missing their hinges or are cracked. I already have Daytona and Sega Rally, though Sega Rally is disc only and Daytona is the 3-in-1 pack version so it's disc in papersleeve and manual only, so besides the fact that they were free, getting complete in case versions was nice too. Sega Rally has a cool shiny silver cover, very nice. As for the hockey game... eh, if I ever get some multitaps, it has 12 player support. Other than that I doubt it's very interesting.

I also got:
NES
--
Twin Cobra - $2, cart only. I have the Genesis version of this game, but the NES version is interesting too, and actually easier than the extremely hard Genesis version... it's not my favorite series, but it's alright and worth the cheap price I think.

Dreamcast
--
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm - $8. I've wanted this game for years, ever since I learned that it was from the same developers as the PC game Die By The Sword, but while I played a bit of it in emulation, it's awesome to finally get the actual game. I like this game, it's a pretty fun fantasy hack & slash action game. :)

This is from EBay:

Virtual Boy
--
Red Alarm (cart only) - $4.70. Yeah, cheap, I was lucky there, the game usually goes for more than that, which is why I hadn't bought it yet, along with that I really want to get an AC adapter so that I don't have to keep draining batteries to use the VB, considering how bad its battery life is.

Anyway, the game's decent. It's not the greatest, but it is interesting and decently fun. The 3d effect is the main show, and it's by far the most fun, I think, in the first person view. That gives you the best sense of the 3d, I think. I found the fact that it's all just wireframes and not shaded or textured not too distracting, I played to level 2 and had no problem telling walls from open spaces or enemies. It's been way too long, I should have bought this game a long time ago... it's been a bit over two years since I got the VB, but I hadn't gotten a game for it since right after getting the system! Those stupid AC adapters always sell for so much on ebay... oh well, I got this game now. I think right now I'd actually rank it in third, below Wario Land (the system's best game) and Vertical Force, but it's good.

On that note, those three were the three games I always wanted most of the system. I'm sure I'll get more VB games in the future, but it's great to finally get my top three.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2010

I forgot to mention it, but I got one more thing today (um, yesterday) too...

For $15, a complete in box Playstation Street Fighter: Anniversary Collection controller, Akuma version. This was in a local store, the same one I got the non-ebay stuff today. I'd seen them there for a few days now and thought about getting one, and after checking EBay prices decided to go for it. This store is kind of odd, some of their prices are based on ebay sales and thus are quite high ($175 for a Genesis with Sega CD, 32X, 3-button turbo arcade stick, another controller I think, the cables, and like two average games? I think not!), and others are reasonable, like this one.

I mean, checking EBay, the Akuma version of this is the rarest one by far, very few show up there. The other three PSX versions, and the three Xbox versions, are all more common... but the store charged the same $15 for this one as for their other also complete-in-box SFAC controller, the PSX Ryu one. That's nice. :)

Oh, yes, it was complete, with box, plastic inside that holds the controller, comic book/manual in plastic slipcover, and stickers.

I have, of course, been wanting a Playstation controller with six face buttons and no ridiculous missing-center dpad (that is, with a less horribly bad design), and this controller achieves that. It's not fantastic, but still, it's better than the PSX pad... it's comfortable, seems to work well, and is reasonably well designed, if a little strange. It was absolutely a good purchase, I think I'll be using this quite a bit...

As for flaws, the main ones are:
-It's quite thick -- twice or more thicker than a Genesis controller, for example. I have no idea why.
-Small shoulder buttons -- they should have been much larger, like SNES shoulder buttons. They're usable, but small.
-No rumble. Unfortunate.
-Only average build quality. It's from NubyTech, and it's probably better than an average controller of theirs, but the build quality is obviously not first party. It feels a little cheap, despite how thick it is.

Also, I wish that there was a green one on the PS2... the only green one was the Guile on on the Xbox. Oh well...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2010

These three games were $5.

PSX
--
Colony Wars (discs only in generic case) - Might be fun if I ever get a Playstation Analog Joystick...
Bomberman Party Edition - classic 2d-style Bomberman, with 5 player support... good stuff. I love Bomberman 64 too, and actually wish that there were more Bomberman games like it, but this is great too.

Sega CD
--
Rise of the Dragon (disc only) - Pretty good PC port adventure game from Dynamix. I'm happy to find this one. :)

These three were from another place.
Genesis
--
RoadBlasters - cart only, $3. Fantastic racing/shooter, and a great port of the arcade game. I have the arcade version in Midway Arcade Treasures, so I was interested to see how good the Genesis port would be... well, it's good. Great Genesis music, good graphics, a good level of challenge, plenty to memorize as you get to the harder levels, and more. Sure, it doesn't save highscores like the arcade version in MAT is, but this version's great too, and I'll definitely be playing more of it.

King of the Monsters 2 - $4, cart in case (no manual). I got the SNES version years ago, but this one isn't a port of that game. While the SNES version is a good port of the Neo-Geo original, this one's simpler, and has turned into a straight 1-on-1 monster fighting game, with no beat 'em up stages. You can play either as the good guys or the bosses. Graphics and sound are worse than the SNES version, as would be expected. It's okay, but not great... ultimately, even if this is different, the original Neo-Geo version and its SNES port are better.

NES
--
Gumshoe - $5 for cart and sleeve in box (no manual). A light gun powered platformer? Unique concept! This game would be fun if I was anything other than abysmal at light gun games, I think...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2010

Rome: Total War Gold Edition is on sale on Direct2Drive for $2.50, so I picked it up. I still like the style of the first two Total War games best (Rome changed things significantly), but they don't work correctly on recent PCs for whatever reason, and it certainly is worth getting for that price...

I also picked this up today:

PS2
--
The King of Fighters 2006 - $8, complete. It's actually The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2, but they thought it'd do better here with a name change or something... anyway, it's 3d KOF. I haven't played any of the KOFMI games yet, actually, but this was cheap enough that I couldn't resist (and it's not that common; not rare, but not that common), so I picked it up. We'll see if it's any good. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th May 2010

KOF "2006" (MI2) is good. I've been playing quite a bit of it these past few days. I really am surprised at how good it is, really... sure, it has some flaws, but the core fighting game is very solid and well made. Up is jump and down duck, while you use a button for 3d movement, like many older 3d fighting games and unlike many of the more recent ones. This makes it feel more "2d" than many 3d fighting games, and more like traditional KOF, which is a good thing in my opinion because I love KOF. It's really very much KOF in 3d, done fairly well. It does have some problems, such as balance issues (some characters are just plain better!), but overall, it's good.

Anyway, today's new game. From ebay, for $7.89:

PC
--
Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition, complete in box in good condition. It comes complete with the box, manual, map, all three discs, and warranty card... and for cheap too. It's too bad that this game wasn't very popular, I actually like it, and have been kind of annoyed with myself for years for not buying it back when it came out -- I loved Wizards & Warriors, Heuristic Park's other game, so when this was announced I was pretty interested. While the game isn't the great game that W&W was, and is much simpler as well (Dungeon Lords is an action-RPG, not a more traditional one like W&W), I played some of the game and did think it was fun. Critical opinion disagreed, unfortunately, and Dungeon Lords got many poor reviews, and despite decent sales the expansion pack and sequel haven't happened and Heuristic Park may be out of business or something now (haven't heard anything from them in several years now). It's really too bad. Anyway, I just never quite got around to buying Dungeon Lords, despite repeatedly telling myself that I really should buy it... Well, I finally got myself to get it. I will definitely be playing this game. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2010

Gamemon FT8D91 Universal USB Converter -- a PS2, Xbox, and GC to PC adapter. $2, loose. I found some drivers online and tested it. Works fine with all three systems, rumble works, everything. That's awesome. There are a few drawbacks, though. First, buttons are all digital only -- there's no support here for PS2 pressure-sensitive buttons, GC or Xbox analog triggers, etc. And second, d-pads are mapped as hat switches only. If there's a way to go into dpad as digital X-Y axis mode, I don't see it. That's not good either. So there are some real drawbacks, but still, it works, and I'm sure I'll use this some -- it's a fantastic thing to have, really.

Oh, the other problem is that all three controllers are "installed" at all times, so dealing with games that only recognize your first attached controller might be a pain... the version of the drivers I have at least doesn't let you disable any of them as far as I can tell. That could be annoying. Still, it work

Second, these three PC games were $1 each. Yeah, that place is crazy, sure they only very rarely have any recent PC games, but when they do, you'd think they'd charge more... oh well, I'm not going to complain. :)
--
Rogue Warrior (complete) -- Not a game I otherwise would have gotten, I know it's bad. For $1, though? Why not.
Overlord (complete) -- A game I'd been considering getting ever since it came out... well, I have it now. Perhaps I should just think that I paid $3 for this one... Awesome. :)
Snowmobile Championship 2000 (jewelcase only) -- Infogrames racing game from 2000. I'm sure it's awful, or at best mediocre, but for that price, got it anyway.

This was $2, disc only.
Gamecube
--
Pac-Man World 2

$3, cart only.
NES
--
Pinball Quest

$17 for these five, all complete. Yes, a very good deal for sure...

Gamecube
--
Resident Evil (Remake)
Sonic Heroes

Xbox
--
Doom 3: Collector's Edition (the version with Dooms 1 and 2 included)
Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey
Red Dead Revolver

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th May 2010

These are both from EBay.

Saturn
--
Puyo Puyo 2 (Tsuu) (import only title, complete but without spinecard)-- So hard! This game gets very, very fast and challenging by midgame... much harder than Puyo Puyo Fever. Good game though, definitely worth getting. About $7.50.

Gamecube (about $11 total for the two)
--
Rampage: Total Destruction (disc only)
Lego Star Wars (complete)

Finally, I got one of the Lego Star Wars games... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 21st May 2010

Abadox... The commercial for that game could NEVER be shown today. They literally show two kids playing in front of a TV with guts being tossed out of the TV onto the kids to advertise how "graphic" the game was.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 21st May 2010

Went to Half Price Bookstore and Gamestop today:

Atelier Annie - DS - $20 new
A Witch's Tale - DS - $20 new
Tomb Raider: Underworld - PC - $8 new
MySims - PC - $3 new
Dungeon Lords - PC - $5 new
Icewind Dale II - PC - $5 used

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st May 2010

Quote:Dungeon Lords - PC - $5 new

Standard or Collector's edition? The Collector's Edition came out in 2006, a year after the standard one, and has some additional content not present in the original version.

If it's the original version, PATCH IT NOW! The patches add in critical features missing from the original release. They don't add everything from the later SE, but they do add some crucial things like the ingame automap, many bug fixes, and more.

... Oh, on that note, the ingame automap is small. If you're lucky you got a copy with the paper map that came in the box as I did, it really is helpful. The game doesn't have THAT complex a world, but still it is helpful to have.

Anyway, yes, I just got it too as you see if you look above... :) I really do like that game... of everything I've gotten recently (yes, I have had a bit more money than usual recently, it should be obvious), that's right near the top of the list of "games to definitely play". I've started it, actually.

Quote:A Witch's Tale - DS - $20 new

I thought it looked maybe interesting when it was first announced, but all reports agree that they ruined it by turning it from an action-RPG to a traditional one, and I lost all interest in getting it at that point.

Quote:Icewind Dale II - PC - $5 used

Great, great game... the last of the Interplay PC RPGs, which is very sad, but at least the last one was something great. Fantastic 2d graphics, Infinity Engine gameplay (still pretty much my favorite RPG engine!), a better story than you'd expect from a dungeon crawler, lots of fantastic fights, and more...

Quote:Atelier Annie - DS - $20 new

Is this any good? I've heard a little about it, but not that much...

Quote:Abadox... The commercial for that game could NEVER be shown today. They literally show two kids playing in front of a TV with guts being tossed out of the TV onto the kids to advertise how "graphic" the game was.

It does have weird, creepy graphics for a NES game, that's for sure... I like the game a lot, too, though that should be obvious with all I wrote about it in the "games I finished" thread. :)

Today...

These PSX and PC games were $7.80 total, $1 to $2 each. From Salvation Army

Playstation
--
TNN Motorsports Hardcore 4X4 (complete)
Metal Gear Solid (complete) - wouldn't have bought this overwise, but for so cheap why not...

PC
--
Frankenstein: In the Eyes of the Monster (disc only)
Pong: The Next Level (jewelcase only)
Beyond Atlantis II (complete mini (dual jewel sized) cardboard box ver.)

DS
--
Professor Layton and the Curious Village - $10, card only

Game Boy Color
--
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - $4, cart only (yes, finally a replacement copy of this amazing game for my original copy, which failed years ago... I've kind of been wanting a working copy of this game for a long time, it was fantastic to finally see one!)

... And I got something else yesterday night, which I will make a new thread for instead of putting here. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 21st May 2010

Quote:Standard or Collector's edition?

Standard.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st May 2010

It's annoying they never did release the SE stuff for standard edition buyers... it's not a LOT of additional stuff, sure, once the patches are taken into consideration, but it's something. Oh well...

I got to the first dungeon in the game. Just like with Wizards & Warriors, the overworld is alright, but the real core of the game is the dungeons. They look nicer, are more interesting, and are more fun to play than the rest of the game. In W&W they were also incredibly well designed, really some of my favorite RPG dungeons ever are in that game... I haven't played enough of DL to say if it's quite up to that level, but I definitely do think that the game is a bit better than most reviews said.

Also, I added comments on several more of the games you got to my last post... did you see them all?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th May 2010

Saturn
--
Daytona USA Circuit Edition (Japanese import) - arrived from EBay. Pretty good version, but I don't know if I prefer it to the original, controls-wise... Mission Stick controls are messed up, which is really too bad. The throttle wheel controls acceleration, the A, B, and C buttons do nothing, and there's no brake it seems... ack! Not good! It's really too bad, because you really need the additional precision of the joystick to get the best controls out of Daytona. While 3D Controller mode works well this time (it is officially supported in the CE), a lot like with Dreamcast Daytona, the controls that way are very touchy and I don't like them much. The Saturn 3D Controller might be slightly better than DC Daytona, but not by enough... while with the mission stick it's great -- or it would be if the buttons worked. Bah, I don't want to have to buy a racing wheel...

Oh that note, I wonder if a DC racing wheel would give good controls in that version of Daytona, like the Mission Stick or wheel do in the Saturn versions... I know DC racing wheels do exist.

Anyway, it wasn't too expensive (like $9 or so) and was worth getting, but the control issues are too bad.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2010

Klonoa - Wii - $5 new

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2010

DS
--
New Super Mario Bros. - card and case only - $10

Very good game, better than I was expecting. For some reason I wasn't expecting this game to be great (good, but not great, or something?), but having beat the first world, it clearly is quite good. Good price for the game, too. :)

The rest of the stuff was from a place having a sale. That's the main reason I got most of it, really. $16 for all of it...

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja (Game Boy) - cart, case, and manual
James Pond II - Codename: Robocod (Genesis) - cart and case
The Adventures of Dino-Riki (NES) - cart, slipcover, and manual
SplashDown: Rides Gone Wild (PS2) - complete
BattleTanx: Global Assault (PSX) - disc and DVD-style Blockbuster case
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer (Dreamcast) - complete

... I know I probably should have passed on Ep.1 Racer, I've always found the N64 version really frustrating thanks to the insane difficulty level the game gets to, but it was just $2 so... um... yeah, now I own the game for three platforms (N64, PC, DC). I don't know if I'll play it much.

Dino-Riki... eh, subpar for a Hudson shooter really, unfortunately. It's very hard and unforgiving, and it's really easy to die in the jumping parts. As a shmup where you walk on the ground and can jump, it kind of feels like a much less good version of Legend of Valkyrie or something... or something like King's Knight but with jumping? Either way, it'll take practice to get anywhere in this one...

Battletanx GA PSX... eh, the N64 game is fantastic, but the PSX version isn't anywhere near as good. Worse graphics, 2 players only instead of four, and more... I just got it to have it, because I love the series (BTGA N64 especially) and for comparison purposes more than anything.

The others I haven't played yet. I should note though that I do already have James Pond 1 and 3 for Genesis, so this completes the series, and it's too bad that SplashDown 2 here was PS2 only, because the first game's also on Xbox and almost everything on both PS2 and Xbox is better on Xbox... oh well.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 28th May 2010

PC
--
Sins of a Solar Empire - $4 on sale on Impulse, for a game I've heard that many great things about? Bought!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th May 2010

Last night...

PS2
--
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness ($14)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st June 2010

Purchased locally:

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (Xbox, disc only, $2)
Ape Escape 2 (PS2, disc and generic case only, $2)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (disc and case, $5, to replace my failed copy of the game (purchased because of the low price))

And from ebay:
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - complete, $17.50

(Yes, I'm working on getting Mario Galaxy. This game was high on my list too.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 1st June 2010

Mario Galaxy is likely cheaper, but everyone's saying the second is the better game, so it's a tough choice. I've yet to get the second game but really want it.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th June 2010

Wii
--
Dewy's Adventure - $7. Pretty fun game, with controls reminiscent of Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble. Controls are a bit frustrating and make the game a lot harder than it would be with normal controls, but I imagine eventually I'll get used to it. (Though yes, as with the Kirby game the controls are a bit 'gimicky' and the 'it makes it harder without needing to actually make the game harder' thing is very true.) Very cute, quite nice looking graphics, nice happy music... pretty fun game, two levels in at least I think. :)

Game Boy Color
--
Wario Land 3 - $5, cart only. Yeah, I should have gotten this like nine years ago when it came out... but I'd kind of burned out on No-Death Wario after beating Wario Land 2 100% and didn't want to face another annoying pain of a game again so soon, so I didn't get it at the time and somehow never quite picked it up in the years afterwards either. Well, I finally got it. We'll see if it's good... I'm expecting to find it great but really annoying, like Wario Land 2. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th June 2010

SNES
--
Jim Power in the Lost Dimension in 3D - $8, cart with box, insert, and manual (no 3d glasses, if they originally came with it). I kept telling myself not to buy it, you've played Jim Power emulated and it's insanely hard and frustrating, it's not worth it... but, probably because it actually came with the manual and wasn't too expensive, I caved and bought it. And yeah, it's Jim Power all right. Good graphics, great music, ridiculous difficulty level. Haven't managed to beat the first level yet, which is to be expected with how hard this game is. It's a memorizer action-platformer, you'll only get through once you've pretty much memorized everything in the game... but the gameplay is somehow somewhat fun, and the pretty good graphics and music help as well. It's got a great European computer game look to it, which of course it is (being a port of a European Amiga game and all).

As far as the console ports of the game go I do like the Turbo CD version better, it's a more accurate port of the original while this SNES version has been altered in a bunch of ways, from the bouncing platforms to the new Mode 7 levels. That version is somewhat inaccessible being on the Turbo CD (Japan only too), though, and has no parallax at all (versus the SNES version which has multiple, incredibly fast-moving layers of parallax that it uses to try to create the 3d effect; all it does is confuse the player, until they manage to train their eyes to ignore it...), but at least you don't get the instant eye-gouging movement of the SNES version...

It's still a good game though, despite the massive flaws. I wish it'd been a little easier, had saving, more levels (break it up after the miniboss?), or something, it's a good game but the insane difficulty naturally drives a lot of people away. And the later levels just get harder. So yeah, I don't regret buying it, yet at least. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th June 2010

Amazing deal, the best group of games I've ever seen at once in a store for this system, and I got them all for a great price too... amazing stuff!

For $25, I got all of this:

Sega Genesis
--
Crusader of Centy - cart only (this was $5) - good Zelda clone. I'd heard it was good, but didn't realize that the graphics were this nice... better than I was expecting, initially at least.

Sega CD - this is the really great part. It was only $20 for all of this!
--
Chuck Rock - disc only
The Amazing Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin - disc only
Robo Aleste - complete
Silpheed - complete
Android Assault - complete
The Adventures of Batman & Robin - complete
Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck - complete

... Yeah, see what I mean? The guy was originally going to ask for $5 each for the Sega CD games, but because I wanted to get all of them he decided to give me a good deal, and of course I immediately accepted... Robo Aleste, The Adventures of Batman & Robin, and Silpheed are all fantastic games that I've played quite a bit on burned copies, but having the actual things is of course much better. Those three are really fantastic games... Android Assault's pretty good too, another good shmup. The two Chuck Rock games are alright, but are on a lot of systems and aren't really any better here. Decent but not great stuff. Spiderman... eh, I don't know. It's alright I guess.

Oh, only Robo Aleste's case cover is completely intact; two others do have both hinges, but have cracks across the middle. The other two cases are missing a hinge. Damage is normal for these large jewelcases. I like them anyway... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th June 2010

Wii
--
Super Mario Galaxy - $34. I said I would get it. :)

Xbox
--
Samurai Shodown V - $11. Probably paid a little much, but when I saw it in the store I had to get it... this is worth getting despite the fact that there is also a Samurai Shodown Anthology (SS 1-5, 6) on the PS2, Wii, and PSP because that version has the Neo-Geo versions of 1-5, not this modified version. The original Neo-Geo version of SSV had Japanese-only endings, you see, while this Xbox version has English-language endings. So even with the anthology, or the original carts, this is a must-have for series fans... and I love Samurai Shodown. V is far from my favorite game in the series (I like IV best, myself), but it's good, and I'm pretty happy to have it.

I also got an Xbox Controller S, so I now have 3 controllers (original style, S, and an original-style third party controller). I'm going to keep using the original one myself, though, because I like it better. I got the controller because I did want another one and it was only $6.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2010

From Goodwill... no console stuff of note there at that one as usual, but they had a couple of decent PC games...

PC
--
Under A Killing Moon - $3, jewelcase only (with all 4 discs) - classic DOS adventure game with lots of live-action video. Good but hard I believe.

The New Adventures of the Time Machine - $2, jewelcase only (with manual and both discs) - early '00s Dreamcatcher adventure game. Mediocre, it seems.

Neverwinter Nights - $5, complete in box. I know that if I really wanted to play this not-that-amazing game the later versions with the expansions included would be a "better value", but would that get me the cloth map, quick-help card, and spiral bound manual that this one did? No, no it would not. And so I bought it... that cloth map is pretty cool. None of the Infinity Engine titles came with cloth maps, only paper ones...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2010

Neverwinter Nights is pretty good, but it's main draw is in fan made scenarios. The writers for the official stories just aren't all that good...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2010

It's single character only, that alone ruins it as a serious D&D RPG... and that is a major part of why NWN2 is such a dramatic improvement, it's actually party-based again. NWN2 and its addons are the best post-Infinity Engine RPGs around. The first one... eh. I mean, yes, I've only played like a few hours of it before (though I will play more of it now I'm sure), but from the lack of parties to the mediocre graphics to what I've heard is the blah story, that's probably enough to know that...

Still, now that I own it, I will have to at least start the game. :)

PSX
--
Street Racer - $4, complete. A decent, graphically upgraded port of the SNES game I got last year. The JP/EU-exclusive Saturn version has much better graphics, but this one is nice to have too.

Xbox
--
Sonic Riders - $5, complete

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2010

Splinter Cell - PC - $1 Used
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - PC - $1 Used
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusade - PC - $5 Used

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2010

Lionheart... not the greatest game, sadly. Interplay didn't make it itself, some other company did and they were just publishing, so my expectations weren't that high at the time, which was fortunate because yeah, it wasn't that great. It's not terrible I think, but not much above average, and much worse than any of Bioware or Black Isle's RPGs from the era.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2010

Went to Gamestop, for the first time in months. Got a few things. :)

Wii
--
Castle of Shikigami III - $10, "new" -- Good manic shmup, third and most recent in the series. I still haven't gotten the second game (only released on PS2 in the US), but do have the first one ("Mobile Light Force" for PS2; they removed the story completely, btu the gameplay is intact) and it's pretty good. I played this one for maybe an hour, and it's also pretty good, only with the story intact this time, and competent English voice acting; I've seen videos of Castle of Shikigami II for the PS2, the English voice acting in that game (the story was intact in that one as well) is INCREDIBLY, horribly bad. Nonsensical translation, awful voice actors, and more... well, the third game is better. Fun game, too. Hard, as I'm not very good at manic shooters, but pretty good, and definitely worth getting. :)

DS
--
Gunpey - $3, card and generic Gamestop case only. When I saw the price, I knew I had to get this... it's a puzzle game, and a quality one from reviews. Played it a bit, and yup, it's good. Not perfect, but pretty good, with plenty of fun puzzle action. :)

PS2 (haven't tried these yet)
--
Valkyrie Profile 2 - $13, disc and generic case only - I've heard it's really good.
Pipe Mania - $2, new and in shrinkwrap. It's basically Pipe Dream. I've never really liked Pipe Dream, we had a version of it on our first computer and I've always found the game hard and frustrating... but this was too cheap to refuse. We'll see.
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - $5, disc and generic case only - The first one was pretty good, and the price was certainly right... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2010

From another Gamestop... found some very cool stuff, that I have not seen often! Some more average stuff I decided to get, too.

DS
--
Summon Night: Twin Age - $10, card in generic case only -- I've been wanting this game since it came out... different genre from the great GBA games I know, but still it looks good.

Gamecube
--
Smashing Drive - $3, disc in generic case only - mediocre game, but it was fun in the arcades, and for that price why not...

Xbox (buy-2-get-1-free of course)
--
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, disc in generic case only - the free one, would have been $4. We'll see, I'm not hoping for much gameplay-wise.
Xyanide - $6, disc in generic case only - European shmup, released on various platforms (PC, PS2, PSP) in Europe and Japan, but Xbox only in the US. I've been wanting this, so it was nice to find it. It's just too bad it didn't come with the somewhat cool case.
The King of Fighters NeoWave - $9, complete - Of course I had to get this... :) It's KOF2002-style, which is awesome because that is the best KOF. This game isn't one of the best KOF games and is just a spinoff title pretty much, but still I'd never played it before, and it's KOF so of course it's fun... :)

PS2
--
Stretch Panic - $3, complete - Cheap price for this game I usually see for like $10... and it's Treasure. :)
Kya: Dark Lineage - $3, complete - 3d platform-action game, looks good and I'd been looking for it, but it's somewhat hard to find. It was great to see a copy.
R-Type Final - $6, complete - I've been looking for a copy of this game for probably years now... it's just fantastic to finally find one! I love R-Type... such hard games, but so great! Hopefully this one lives up to the legacy.
Raiden III - $6, disc and case (no manual) - ... And this was sitting right near it. Very cool. I've heard that it's okay but not the greatest, but really... it's Raiden. Raiden games are fun. :) This one I do see sometimes, but usually for at least twice this price, and I hadn't wanted to spend that much for it.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th July 2010

I have the stuff from last weekend listed elsewhere so I'll post that later. This is the stuff from the past few days.

Mid last week, during a Steam sale:

PC
--
Puzzle Kingdoms - $1
Birth Of America - $1.50

7/3
--
$10 for the three.

PenPen TriIceLon - Dreamcast - complete - Kind of fun, not that bad... simple, but that's fine sometimes. :)
Journey to Silius - NES - cart only - Great music, good game. From Sunsoft.
Star Soldier - NES - cart only - Why was this game not popular in the US? I can see why it did so well in Japan, this game is quite good...

7/4
--
From the flea market.

PC (all jewelcase only)
--
Extreme Assault - simple and fun 1997 action flight combat game. A DOS-only title, despite releasing in 1997. Looks decent and plays well in DOSBox, though. :)
Thunder Brigade - Okay tank action game with a hovertank. I've played some of this before, never quite liked the hovertank I guess... you have no gravity, but can't fly, just over over the terrain... it's kind of weird. Not a bad game, but the physics are odd.
Frogger - Not nearly as good as its sequel Frogger 2, or the ones after it, sadly. This game lives up to its reputation for being extremely hard, too... a little disappointing, I like Frogger 2 (DC) and the GC Frogger game I have.
Wing Commander: Privateer - A true classic! Disc in generic case only.

NES ($5 each, both cart only)
--
The Adventures of Lolo 2 - Good sequel to the original Lolo puzzle game. Great stuff.
The Legend of Zelda - I have it for GBA, but that was too cheap to refuse... dying battery though. Oh well, still worth it.

7/6
--
$8 for all five games. The first four are disc in generic case only.

Dynasty Warriors 3 - PS2 - I always wanted to try one of these.
Stuntman - PS2
Vexx - Xbox
Shadow the Hedgehog - Xbox
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions - Xbox (complete)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th July 2010

New Games
--
6/27/10
--
From the local Library Book Sale. Got on the final day of the sale, when it's $3 a bag, so each of these items indiviudually cost very little.

Timex Sinclair (quite rare in the US '80s computer that was popular in England as the Sinclair Spectrum)
--
Chess (cassette tape game) (complete in box) (what a strange find...)

PC
--
Hard Truck II (jewelcase only) - terrible racing game
Pharoah: Cleopatra (expansion to Pharoah, a game that I do not have) (jewelcase only)
Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge (jewelcase only)

7/2/10
--
From Goodwill... a Goodwill I hadn't been to before. They had some pretty cool stuff. :)

Genesis
--
Instruments of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones - $1 (complete) - okay game, nice whip controls but some annoying elements to the gameplay

PC (quite a variety of stuff, CD games from 1992 to 2006...)
--
Jewels of the Oracle - $2 (complete)
Battlegammon -$2 (jewelcase only) (a Backgammon game ripping off Battle Chess...) - Game not listed on IGN
Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers - $2 (jewelcase only) - quality platformer also on various consoles
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Deluxe (1992) - $1 (disc in generic case only)
John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles - $2 (discs in generic dual jewel only) - good looking horror adventure game
Age of Mythology: Gold Edition - $2 (I have the base game, but not the addon... one of Ensemble's weaker games really, but still, worth it I think)
Bengal - $3 (jewelcase in slipcover only, but that's how it would sell - this is a budget Zuma clone)
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - $2 (jewelcase only) (a collection of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and its expansion. It's an RTS that uses the Age of Empires II engine, and plays a lot like that game, but with Star Wars stuff instead. Really, this feels like a Star Wars AOE2 total conversion... the gameplay is pretty much identical.
Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile - $2 (jewelcase only) (the first city-building team from Tilted Mill, a studio founded by ex-Impressions staff (Impressions had pretty much created that genre with Caesar and its followups, of course). I've been interested in these games, but had never gotten them.)
American Conquest: Divided Nation - $2 (jewelcase only)

Also, I didn't get them, but the oddest thing I saw was, of all things, 16 Memorex VIS CDs... no VIS there, so who knows why they were all donated. The Memorex VIS isn't something I think I have seen in person -- it's a rare and very unsuccessful early '90s CD-based console that focused on edutainment stuff. And indeed, almost all of the discs were either young kids' games, encyclopedias, and things like that. Animal Encyclopedia, History Timeline, American Presidents, Kid Fun (actually a kids' karoke disc), etc... only two of the 16 discs were games for people over the age of six, I think -- Links (a version of the PC golf game) and a graphic adventure game about whaling sponsored by an environmental group that I can't remember the name of offhand. Still, I was quite tempted, if just because of the rarity of the system... at $2 each, though, I didn't really quite think it'd be worth it, unless those discs are actually rare and valuable or something, which I doubt. If a system had been there, maybe... but oh well. I have almost never seen VIS CDs before (and have never seen a system as far as i can remember), so I thought it was pretty interesting. :)

7/12
--
Xbox
--
Metal Slug 3 - complete, $10 -- Stupid waste of money, given that I already have the PS2 collection and that has infinite, at-point continues while the Xbox version is ridiculously broken because continues send you back to the beginning of the level (and yes, I know this. I've spent quite a bit of time with the Xbox version of Metal Slug 3, my cousins have it)? Yes. But ultimately irresistible anyway, considering how much I love the series and that if through some miracle I ever actually beat this nearly impossible game (MS3 level 5 with only one continue is an insane, insane challenge...) you unlock several Xbox-exclusive bonus modes? Unfortunately, also yes. Erm ... :) ?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Unreadphilosophy - 14th July 2010

^You know, Falcon, I don't think I recognize 50% of the games that you've mentioned so far.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2010

I'm a history major so I love history, so as a videogame fan I have an obvious interest in videogame history... still though, I've learned a lot about classic games over the past five years or so, I chose to get into them. I have spent quite a bit of time looking up info on older systems online, looking at games in stores that sell older games, etc, as well as with newer systems too, for the ones that I have. Despite that, still sometimes I see things I don't know either.

That said, today...

$1 - Genesis 2/3/CDX stereo AV cable -- I have the Genesis 2 mono AV cable that came with the 32X, but this is pretty cool to have too... finally, easy stereo sound from my Genesis, without having to use the "audio composite cables from the Sega CD" workaround! :)

32X
--
Space Harrier - complete, $10 -- My second-most-wanted 32X game, after Shadow Squadron, complete, for a decent price? So, so awesome! Space Harrier 32X is a fantastic game, and this was the first good port of the game. I know that the Saturn and PS2 Sega Ages versions are better, but still, I really wanted this, and it's just fantastic to find it. This is probably my most played 32X game in emulation.

PS2
--
Dark Cloud 2 - game and case (no manual), $5 - The first one was good, and the price was right, so why not?

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - complete, $5 - I've heard about the stupid plot twist at the end, and that it's probably not as good as the second one for the PSX, which is a great game, but for this price, way below what it costs elsewhere, for what probably is a decent game... of course!

Ar Tonelico: Memory of Elemia - complete, $15 - Yes, THAT game (anyone who knows about it would know what I mean... anyone who doesn't, look it up I guess...). This costs like nearly twice that online or at Gamestop... I'll try it, anyway.

The store also had Ys (VI): The Ark of Napishtim, Mana-Khemia 1, and Growlanser: Legacy of War, all for the PS2, and all $15 each, but while I was really considering getting Ys or Mana-Khemia, then I asked about 32X games and saw Space Harrier, and know that that's the one I was getting instead. I do want to play the PS2 Ys game though, that's a decent series...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2010

Got a new copy of Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box for $3 a few days ago.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2010

Awesome... I'd like to try that one sometime, the Burnout games are pretty good. I have heard that the open world thing has some issues (having to drive all the way back to the start points of races when you lose, or something, maybe?), but still, it's a great series...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2010

I like Burnout 3 the best, but it is fun to just drive through the city at full speed in Burnout Paradise.

I've only actually played the first three. I've seen copies of Burnout Dominator (PS2) and Burnout Revenge (PS2/Xbox), but haven't gotten those, mostly because I never beat any of the first three actually... I have 1 and 2 for GC and 3 for Xbox. All are pretty good, as I said, though the third one is fairly different from the first two in some ways.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th July 2010

Gamestop is buy-2-get-1-free on used games this weekend, so I ended up buying a lot more than I thought I would going in (since I did not know about the deal before getting there)...

These three were $20.
GrimGrimoire - PS2 - no manual
Alien Syndrome - Wii - complete
WarioWorld - GC - complete

These three were $9. (one $5 and two $4)
Nanostray - DS - loose in generic Gamestop case
Overlord Minions - DS - complete
The Bard's Tale - PS2 - loose in papersleeve

These three were $30 ($17, 13, and 10; couldn't quite find something more $13 I wanted).
Excite Truck - Wii - complete (the Wii launch title I wanted most)
Oneechanbara - Wii - complete
World Heroes Anthology - PS2 - complete

Spent a bit, yes, but most of the games were actually complete, and I got some pretty decent stuff, for the most part, I think...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2010

Space Harrier is one of the best rail shooters ever, and an absolutely exceptional game... I mean, I knew that already, but it's even better being able to play the actual thing and not just emulation of it. :)

Tough game though, and the button-mashing gets very wearying -- you pretty much have to mash one of the buttons as fast as you can the whole time you're playing, to keep your firing rate up, because the autofire is quite slow, and it gets tiring after a while. It's such an outstandingly great game, though, that that doesn't hurt it too much...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th July 2010

Amazing, amazing finds today... a whole lot of Genesis games just came in at a music store that has games and charges flat rates for older system games. All of these were $4 each... an outstanding price, for several of these!

All games were $4 each.

Master System
--
Psyco Fox - cart only. Yes, I still don't have an SMS, but I got this anyway... I really need to get the system, I have four games now... Lol

Genesis
--
Streets of Rage 2 - complete. Yes, I have this already, but cart only. This is complete. Also, now I can give a copy to my cousins, which I'd kind of been wanting to do, except this game is expensive... like $20-plus, around here. Amazing deal.

General Chaos - cart only - Popular and somewhat valuable ($10-15 I think?) EA game, a top-down action game with a little strategy. Has four player too. Good stuff.

Sega CD Backup RAM Cart - loose - Worth like $25-35 or more on EBay... I've wanted one since the day I got my Sega CD, but I was stupid and refused to pay what it's worth, so I never got one until now. This was an absolutely amazing, spectacular find, easily my favorite of this batch (and one of the best in a long time, for what it finally allows me to do -- that is, play more Sega CD games that save), but I should have just paid the $30 and gotten one on EBay years ago... oh well. At least I finally have one now. I should play Snatcher on the actual system. I've got like eight or ten games that save that I've only been able to play in emulation, and more beyond that I could burn, too... (hence what I mean about "I should have done it years ago"... but oh well.) At least I have one now! :)

Gunstar Heroes - cart only - Yes, the extremely popular and pricey Treasure classic... it's very hard, and I don't love this as much as some people, but still, it's obviously an outstanding find. I liked the GBA Gunstar Heroes game, at least there you could save so you didn't have to do it all in one sitting... Seven Force is brutal!

See what I mean, amazing finds? Just some unbelievable stuff. The other ones I picked up (below) aren't quite as amazing, but still, some good stuff.

Socket - cart only - mascot platformer and Sonic clone. Mediocre at first, but it's growing on me some... I think I like it. It's not a complete clone of Sonic, it does some things differently. Really good music, too. Graphics look cartoony, sort of like Sonic meets Dynamite Headdy, or something, but not quite as good as either? Gameplay is similar, fun but not the best.

Forgotten Worlds - cart and case (no manual) - Fun shmup. This version does have some flaws, in that it's evidently incompatible with the official Sega Genesis controller extension cable plus 6-button controller setup that I use, which is annoying... Forgotten Worlds won't work at all on a 6-button controller unless you hold down Mode on startup, you see, and somehow through the extension cable it won't work at all. So I have to go plug in directly and then hold down Mode to play the game. Bah... decently good game though, from Capcom. This isn't the best version of the game (the arcade and TGCD versions are better), but it's fun enough to get, anyway.

Rolling Thunder 3 - I like the first two games quite a bit better, but this is the first Rolling Thunder game I can remember seeing in years, so of course as a fan of the first game I'm going to get it... it does have some issues, sucha s that it's single player only while Rolling Thunder 2 had two player simultaneous and that it really gets away from the simple arcade gameplay that made the first two so great -- it's a Genesis exclusive, and they tried to make it more of a console game, but I like the design of the first two better. Oh, and you can only play as the male character by default again, because like Rolling Thunder 1 (and unlike 2, where you can play as either the male or female characters, in 2p simultaneous too as I said) the plot is that the female agent got kidnapped again. Great. At least there is a code to play as her after you beat it, but still, why? The biggest problem with the game, though, is the much more shooting-heavy, and much less strategic, gameplay... it feels like Rolling Thunder with an injection of Contra or something, and that's not good, because I loved Rolling Thunder so much as it was, more so than I ever have Contra. Oh well. It's still a decent to good game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2010

Oh, I don't think I've mentioned it, but that "Genesis" AV cable from a few days ago is actually a Saturn AV cable -- a fact which is just fantastic, because all I'd had for my Saturn since getting it was an RFU... I kind of thought it might be for the Saturn, because of the pin configuration, but it plugged into the Genesis, so I thought it was for that... but no, it's just that both systems use the same plug type, just with different pins and blocks. This third party cable doesn't have the blocks in it, so it'll plug into either one -- but it only does anything with the Saturn. So yeah, better , brighter video quality and stereo sound from my Saturn now. Very nice. :)

Anyway, from today.

Road Rash 3 - Genesis - $2, cart only - Third and final game in the series on Genesis. Not too different from the second one, which I have, but why not, they are good games.

Tetris Plus - PSX - $4, complete - Pretty good arcade port... I was playing this one some just now, it's fun. :)

I also got (for no additional cost with the other stuff I was getting) the manual for The Guardian Legend (NES), and the little mini foldout hintbook for SNES Zelda: A Link to the Past. Kind of cool. :)

PC (from Goodwill, all are jewelcase only)
--
Shivers (Sierra horror adventure game) - $1
Atomic Gamepack (mid '90s share/freeware-ish game style 4 game collection) - $1
Over 1000 Games (Microforum) (share/freeware collection from the mid '90s; yes, you can find this stuff online, but these discs can be entertaining, and I usually run into plenty of stuff I haven't heard of... these homebrew games exist in such large numbers that it's impossible to know about most of them. Two CD collection.) - $2
Beast Wars: Transformers (third person action game also on Playstation. From what I remember of the demo, which I played when the game came out, it's pretty awful, but for some reason some of the voice acting from the demo has stuck in my head (it was so badly done... and the game was so awful...), so for a dollar I couldn't resist... :)) - $1

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th July 2010

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - PS2 - $4, complete (I've heard it's good, wanted to try it)
Final Fantasy IX - $6, complete (don't know if I care to play it, but that is pretty cheap for it...)

$10 for the four games below (good deal... :))

Skuljagger: Revolt of the Westicans - SNES - cart only (okay American platform-action game)
Ninja Kid - NES - cart only (the first game based on the Gegege no Kitaro manga, and the only one of them released outside of Japan; it's a platformer)
California Speed - N64 - cart only (I'd wanted this one for some time, but the only copies I'd seen before locally were like $15, too much for this simple Cruis'n USA-engine racing game... I'm happy to find this, I liked the arcade game. :))
The Legend of Dragoon - PSX - complete (don't know if it's any good, but I know PSX RPGs are almost all somewhat valuable... and yeah, $15 to $20 on EBay. I'll see if it's any good though.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th July 2010

Metal Storm - NES - cart with box (box in fairly good shape) - $16. A little expensive for a somewhat short game like this, but it is really good, and not exactly the cheapest or most common NES game out there, so I decided to get it... it's a fantastic game, I just couldn't resist. First time I've seen a copy in person.

Space Raiders - Gamecube - $4, complete. Okay Space Invaders-style game from Taito. It got mediocre reviews, and is evidently very much like Space Invaders... it was cheap, though, and Space Invaders is fun (and the game is a Gamecube exclusive, too), so I got it. We'll see, haven't tried it yet.