Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - alien space marine - 10th February 2010

Wii Sports

Wii Super mario Bros

Wii Dragonballs Revenge of King Piccolo

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2010

So you got a Wii? Cool. :)

I've never liked Dragon Ball at all... I know a lot of people do, though. NSMBWii is obviously one of the system's best though.

Xbox
--
Dead or Alive Ultimate - $5
Outrun 2 - $6

I know I already have Outrun 2006 for both the PC and PS2, but I couldn't resist getting the original Outrun 2 for Xbox too... it's obviously got a lot less content, but it's amazing of course, being, well, Outrun 2, which is an outstanding game... time limits seem harder than Outrun 2006 too, for some reason. I'll have to compare it more directly. Graphics are great of course, better than 2006 on the PS2, though that version looks amazing for its platform for sure.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - alien space marine - 10th February 2010

A Black Falcon Wrote:So you got a Wii? Cool. :)

I've never liked Dragon Ball at all... I know a lot of people do, though. NSMBWii is obviously one of the system's best though.

Xbox
--
Dead or Alive Ultimate - $5
Outrun 2 - $6

I know I already have Outrun 2006 for both the PC and PS2, but I couldn't resist getting the original Outrun 2 for Xbox too... it's obviously got a lot less content, but it's amazing of course, being, well, Outrun 2, which is an outstanding game... time limits seem harder than Outrun 2006 too, for some reason. I'll have to compare it more directly. Graphics are great of course, better than 2006 on the PS2, though that version looks amazing for its platform for sure.

Yeah I did , Its my first Nintendo system since SNES.

The Dragon ball game is a fairly underwhelming side scroller though :( ...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th February 2010

Wow, it'd been that long, really? I didn't realize that you'd never had an N64 or GC...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 12th February 2010

You have a lot of games but I don't believe that you do.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - alien space marine - 12th February 2010

A Black Falcon Wrote:Wow, it'd been that long, really? I didn't realize that you'd never had an N64 or GC...

I often would go over to my cousins and play goldeneye and the other N64 games with him back then.

Ive owned a gameboy color at one point when "Pokemon" was big 10 years ago... The Gamecube is the one console I never touched at all.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2010

Game Boy
--
Mega Man III - $4, cart only. Awesome find, I never thought I'd find this game for so cheap... so I started playing it of course, and yeah, it's amazing. The third, fourth, and fifth GB Mega Man games are exceptional games, some of the best MM games ever. III isn't quite as good as IV or V, I think, but still, it's fantastic. The game's $10-$20 on EBay, so it was a good find... (but again, not quite the equal in value to MMIV ($20-$40) or MMV ($30-$50)). Awesome, awesome find, I will be playing this (when I'm not watching the Olympics. :)).

Xbox
--
Dark Summit -- fun SSX clone with a basic story. I've played some of it so far, and it's definitely entertaining. Okay graphics for an early Xbox game, fun SSX-style gameplay, decent music... it's not great, but it's certainly good enough to be worth playing for fans of this kind of game.

I also got a new PC gamepad, finally, a Saitek P990. My old P880 broke over two years ago, so it's been a long time... it's fantastic to finally have one again. ($20)

Dark Jaguar Wrote:You have a lot of games but I don't believe that you do.

?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2010

A few days ago
--
Tecmo Classic Arcade - Xbox, $9 (complete) -- Only 11 games, and the price wasn't that cheap, but it includes several good ones, including some stuff not previously available outside of the arcades, so it's definitely worth getting anyway. :)

Today
--
Mortal Kombat II - 32X - $5, cart only

Not the most amazing game ever, sure, but I did want it, and I don't exactly see 32X games very often... had to pick it up. Pretty cool find! :)

Also, while I was there, the guy let me have two disc-only Sega CD games for free... I go in there and talk to him sometimes and was there for a while, and he ended up just letting me have them. I wasn't about to refuse... (they were untested)

Flink
Mickey Mania

Yeah, both of them are great platformers. Both are also on the Genesis, though Flink was evidently only on cart in Europe, so this is the only US version. I'd never played it before, but it's a really good game with great cartoony graphics and fun fantasy platformer gameplay. I'm sure I'll be talking more about this one in the future. The disc does have a little damage on it and in one of the early levels the music fails midway through the level, but if that's all that's wrong with the disc, I don't mind at all.

Mickey Mania... that one's much better known, and popular, for a reason. Great game. I think I like Flink more, really, but this game's fantastic too, and the Sega CD has the best version. Disc had a bunch of gunk stuck to the top of it, but I got that off and it otherwise seems to be fine.

Also, I got these in another store:
Insecticide - Nintendo DS - card only, $10 -- I'd been interested in getting this one for quite some time... finally did. Seems fun enough. :)

And four jewelcase/disc only PC games for $1 each:
Diablo (disc only)
Roller Coaster Tycoon: Loopy Landscapes, Includes Corkscrew Follies (disc only; I already have the base game, so why not get the expansions? :))
The Humans (disc only)
Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R Twin Pack (in original jewelcase; I mostly got this for Sonic R, which I don't have yet outside of emulation, as I already have 3D Blast on the Genesis. I do like 3D Blast though, so I don't mind getting another version of that either. :)

So yeah, some pretty cool stuff there, and some good luck...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2010

Xbox
--
Enclave - $6, from EBay. I played the PC version demo back when it first came out and thought it was fantastic, but never could find the full game, sadly... well, the Xbox version is a lot easier to find, so I picked it up. Great game... the game does control better on PC though (it's a fantasy third person hack & slash action game with some pretty good graphics, good level designs, and a bunch of playable characters), so I still want that version sometime. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2010

Art of Fighting Anthology - PS2 - $7 - complete. Not SNK's best fighting games ever, but good enough ones to be worth such a low price I think. I generally like SNK's later Neo-Geo fighting games better than the earlier ones, but that's so cheap that I couldn't refuse... well, the game had been there for some time, but with it not selling for long enough I couldn't refuse. :) And Art of Fighting 2 and 3 are good games... not great, but good. It's not much like newer SNK fighting games either graphically or moves-wise -- you have only a few moves each instead of many -- though, so yeah, neither is a match for their best stuff. I like that complexity, generally. For simpler fighting games though they are good, if hard.

I think I will pass on the similarly-priced Fatal Fury collection 1, though. I don't know, I like Fatal Fury even less than Art of Fighting... it's funny, Garou (Fatal Fury 8) is amazing, but the older ones, with their worse graphics, limited rosters, odd two-line system, etc, just don't match up.

I also picked up a Wii game, though yes I don't have one... Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, for $35. That's about what it's worth online, and it's the first copy of the game I have seen in a long time. I'll definitely own a Wii sometime in the not-that-distant future, and I'll want this game then because it's been #1 on my must-get list for the Wii ever since it came out, and this will solve a lot of frustration at then having to buy a copy online or something... so yeah, that is awesome that I found a copy.

I'm also thinking about Metroid Prime Trilogy, because it is just $35 there, but I don't know, I could just get Metroid Prime 3 for a lot less later on when I get the system, and forget about 1 and 2 on Wii... I don't really need those. But that Trilogy's not going to go down in price anytime soon, I expect, what with it being discontinued now, so maybe... hmm. Not now, I think, but we'll see.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 6th March 2010

This thread is why you aren't able to play new release games, ABF.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2010

Eh, for the most part I'm not missing that much.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 6th March 2010

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THEM

Well a lot of them are FPSes, I know that's not my favorite genre... :)

As for other things, why is it better to play a newer game you've never played before than an older one you've never played before? I'd call those two situations pretty much equivalent, except I can get a lot more older games I haven't played for the same amount of money.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2010

... Crazy store, giving people very little for their tradeins and then selling them for insanely low prices, considering some of these games... but then other stuff gets priced high and never marked down, so yeah. It's obvious that games aren't exactly their focus, but sometimes, like today, that works to the buyers' benefit...

All of these games were $4 each. Yes, $4.

NES
--
Mega Man 2 - complete with box and slipcover (no manual, though the foam block is still in the bottom of the box)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - gold cart edition, complete with box and slipcover (as above, no manual, yes foam block)

Genesis
--
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist - cart only (perhaps the worst TMNT beat 'em up, but still, for that price worth it, considering how ridiculously overpriced it usually is... I started playing it. Kind of dull somehow, but good enough for $4. Most of Konami's Genesis games just don't match up to their SNES ones for some reason... (and TMNT III on the NES is way better than this as well!))

SNES
--
Out to Lunch - cart only. This one isn't worth much over the $4 I paid, but it looked interesting enough to be worth getting, so I picked it up. Well, it is a fun little game with decent happy music and colorful graphics. It's kind of like a mid '80s style platformer in the Bubble Bobble school or something, only with a scrolling playfield instead of a static screen -- it has small sprites and many levels of thin platforms filling the stage. You're a chef trying to catch the food that has escaped from your fridge. You have to catch the enemies (animate food items) in your net and then return them to the cage before time runs out. Fun concept, good gameplay. I can see it getting repetitive if the game goes on for too long because you're doing the same thing in every level and there is no saving or passwords, but still, a pretty good effort from Mindscape for sure.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th March 2010

TurboGrafx-16
--
Cyber Core - card only, from ebay as usual for the TG16.

The remaining five games were $5 each.

Phantom Brave (PS2)
Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2)
Red Ninja: End of Honor (Xbox)
Project Gotham Racing 2 / Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox)
Frogger Beyond (Gamecube)

Yeah, original XBL is offline now, but you can at least play the 12 demos on this disc... if not the full versions unless you mod your system and download them, I imagine.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2010

Was away on vacation...

All cartridge games were cart only. The Xbox games were complete.

Friday
--

All of this was $31 total.

NES
--
Gargoyle's Quest II
Gyruss

SNES
--
Magic Sword

N64
--
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Dark Rift

Xbox
--
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload

Monday
--

$10 total.

NES
--
Bionic Commando
Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road

N64
--
Buck Bumble

So far I've tried Magic Sword, Guilty Gear (which I've also played before), and the three N64 games. Magic Sword is pretty good. Guilty Gear X2 Reload is great of course. Turok 3 is good, finally an N64 Turok game without insanely large save files, save points an hour apart or more, levels that take a half hour to an hour to get through, and limited lives and continues on top of that! It's very nice to have a Turok game which you can just enjoy, instead of constantly suffering like with the first two games, and the second one especially...

Buck Bumble's okay. Decent graphics apart form the fog, fun-seeming flying-shooter gameplay. :)

Dark Rift is horrible. It's from the developers of Criticom, and is, like that one, obviously a Toshinden clone. It's even worse than Toshinden. The AI is incredibly frustrating and annoyingly designed, there are no ring-outs (infinite arenas instead), the game is slow... ugh. It's kind of fun, in the early matches before I start dying constantly, but even when it's fun it's obviously bad. It's no War Gods, but yes, it's bad. :) ... I beat it once already. If it wasn't so frustrating it could be a fun game, I think, for an early 3d fighting game... oh well. Oh, the character designs are actually decent to good, much better than was average for 3d fighting games at that point. (See: War Gods...)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2010

Genesis
--
Pirates! Gold - complete (with map and manual), $4 -- Got it because of the price of course... the game's good, I know, but I do have it for the PC (the version that was included with the special edition of the 2004 Pirates! game, anyway). Hopefully this one is good as well. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Unreadphilosophy - 23rd March 2010

^I'm gonna stat calling you Retro Man, Falcon.

All of my time has been focused on Final Fantasy XIII.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 23rd March 2010

ABF is big-time Retro Man. He's so retro that he's probably spinning 78s on a Victrola at this very moment.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Unreadphilosophy - 23rd March 2010

I'm starting to think that Falcon is stuck in the 80s and doesn't realize it.

Great Rumbler Wrote:ABF is big-time Retro Man. He's so retro that he's probably spinning 78s on a Victrola at this very moment.

Oh come on, you know that's not true.

I'm not a music fan, I don't buy CDs or MP3s, much less records... :)

And anyway, obviously I play some newer games too, but you knew that. I've got a DS and a modern PC after all. But as for classic games, I didn't have any consoles in the '80s and any other than a Game Boy, GBC, and N64 in the '90s, so there's a lot to catch up on...

Falcon probably listens to a cassette player when no one's around. ;D

Hey, Falcon, have you managed to beat all of the Mega Man games?

Don't own a cassette player either, just like I don't have a record player, 8-track player, whatever. Why would I, when I'm not a music fan? When I do listen to music (pretty much only when I'm surfing the web, want to listen to something, and don't have a Youtube video on in the background or something), it'll be on the computer.

As for Mega Man, I beat the six NES games in the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube, and have beaten the first four Game Boy games, but other than that the only ones I've beaten are Mega Man X4 for the PC and "Mega Man 3" also for the PC... I also have MM7 and 8 in the MMAC, and MM&Bass for GBA, and MMX5 for PC, and X6 for PSX, but I haven't finished any of those. I did get to the Wily stages in 7 and 8, but couldn't beat them (that first Wily stage in 8 is impossible...). MM&Bass I found really, really hard and gave up on several levels in. X5 I gave up at at the Black Demon in one of the Wily stages. X6... even harder than MM&B!

I tried MM Zero once, but never did get any of those games.

Mega Man 3 is a bitch. I can never get passed those emulator robots that you have to face after you're done with main robot masters.

Oh, and Shadow Man is a pain in the ass.

I do remember Mega Man 3 being one of the hardest of the NES games, yeah... but I would say that compared to just about any Mega Man platformers from the SNES on, the NES games are actually easier. They're far from easy, certainly, but they're not as complicated or difficult as the later Mega Man games. I think that the series has gotten a bit too hard really, MM Zero 1 was way too hard, X6 is too hard, 7, 8, and MM&Bass are all harder than any of the NES games...

Oh, and Network Transmission on the Gamecube was pretty poorly designed and had some incredibly hard parts very early in the game. Supposedly it got easier later on, but I quit at the earlier point because it just wasn't any fun at all...

Overall I like the Mega Man games a lot, but they definitely are tough. But yeah, the NES games may be remembered as being "really hard", but a lot of that was because people first played them when they were kids I think... really, they're just challenging, for the most part. The series got harder later on, and kept getting harder and harder with time -- like how Zero and X6 are even harder than most of the SNES Mega Man games. (MM&B's GBA port perhaps excepted, that's very hard... but even that's a bit easier on SNES than GBA, thanks to the larger viewing distance...)

Anyway, yes, of the NES games, 3 is quite possibly the hardest one. That second set of four Wily Robots or whatever were really, really tough...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th March 2010

Went to a local place that I hadn't been to before. Lots of piles of stuff everywhere in there, reminded me of some of the booths in an indoor flea market around here... :)

For $17 I got the following:

Game Gear
--
Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble (cart and case) - not a great game I think, but oh well.

SNES
--
Cybernator (cart only) - pretty good price for a great classic I think... :)

PSX
--
Bubsy 3D (no manual) - Just a few bucks for an infamous "classic"? As soon as I saw it I had to get it... and I've played level one now, and it's not too bad. Sure, it's no Mario 64, but it's not actually awful I think, for 1996... I'll have to play it more, but so far I'm a little bit pleasantly surprised. :) (The main negative is Bubsy's floaty, tank controls. It can kill you -- sliding off platforms into pits, etc. Oh well, I'm sure you get used to it...)

PC (both jewelcase only)
--
Sim Theme Park -- It's basically Theme Park 2, and Theme Park was awesome.
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer - Yeah, the PC version of ... THAT game. That I've always kind of disliked on the N64 thanks to its crazy difficulty level. Why did I get this again... but somehow I couldn't resist. Oh well... we'll see if this version's any different.

Then I went to a Goodwill near there, and didn't see much, but there was one game there, that's probably the best game I got today... for $2...

PC
--
Heavy Gear -- with jewelcase, manual and quick reference card! Awesome, awesome stuff for a mech-sim classic... I will definitely need to play this game.

They also had a Microsoft Sidewinder USB Force Feedback Wheel, but it was $8 with no power supply and it does require one, so after considering it for a while I ended up not getting it. I imagine finding one of those power supplies would be a real pain...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th March 2010

UN Squadron - SNES - cart only, $6 -- A great classic shooter... :)

Street Racer - SNES - cart with manual and box (inc. internal cardboard form), $8 -- Not bad for a complete game... it's always awesome to find complete older games for relatively cheap, particularly when they're good games like this one. Street Racer is a Mario Kart style game, with Mode 7 graphics and some fun gameplay. Good game, and not that common... this is the only copy I've seen of it locally in the last five years.

Trace Memory - DS - card only (in generic EB case), $5 -- Something I'd been meaning to get for some time, and I couldn't refuse for such a low price... I'll definitely need to play this.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th April 2010

From the flea market...

From one place there:

Robotrek - SNES - $5 (cart only)

And from another:

Jurassic Park - Game Gear - $2 (cart in case only)

these six games for $5 total (all jewelcase only)
Super Bubble Pop - PSX
Silver - PC (Western action-RPG that was also on the Dreamcast)
Q-Bert (Hasbro late '90s title) - PC
Lunicus (Cyberflix) - PC - I know nothing about this, but it looked entertainingly bad enough to be worth the low price. It's an early '90s prerendered CG game with shooter gameplay and lots of cutscenes, evidently.
Aliens vs. Predator Gold Edition - PC
Zeddas: Servant of Sheol (Synergy) - PC - from Haruhiko Shono, maker of a bunch of weird, rare early '90s PC adventure games like L-Zone and Alice: An Interactive Museum. Worth at least $10 alone... and I got it for less than a dollar! :)

Also I got an audio CD, though it's one I have already... Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire's soundtrack disc. I just couldn't resist, it was $1 and isn't that common... and it's certainly worth more than a dollar. I don't know if I'll keep it or give it to someone or whatever, but it was an interesting find. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 4th April 2010

Megaman 3 is kinda hard, yes, but I actually found MM4 to be harder. I had just beaten MM3, got MM4, and Ring Man, Dive Man, and the others just completely destroyed me, like on a whole new level. They were russian, and they broke me. I eventually won and it seems easy to me now, but it certainly seemed harder than 4 back then

7, hard? Pah, when I got around to 7, it was frickin' easy. Well, except for Wily at the end. To this day, he's still the hardest Wily fight I've ever faced. Tough as nails, no mistakes allowed, EVER! The rest of the game though? Pretty easy to me.

Megaman and Bass onwards? Definitely MUCH harder than I ever remember the old games being. The early Megaman X games were fairly easy, up through 4, and then 5 came along and just made it silly hard. It's been that hard ever since.

If you want the really hard games though... Battletoads is an obvious pick, but there are others. Ninja Gaiden is a series that's as hard today as it was back on the NES. 3 especially. 1's easier to beat.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2010

PC
--
Quake III Arena and Quake III Team Arena (discs only in a 2-cd jewelcase) - $1 -- Not that I wanted this game all that much, I'm not a big fan, but for that price I couldn't say no...

NES
--
The Adventures of Lolo - $4, cart only -- Lolo is a great puzzle game series... at that price I couldn't resist. :)

Xbox
--
GunMetal - $3, disc in Gamestop case -- fun action game where you control a mech that transforms into a jet. (Macross anyone?) From Rage Software of Incoming fame. Played the first few levels, this is a pretty fun game! :)

These three Xbox games were $5 total. All are disc and manual only (disc, manual, and generic case that is, no covers/original cases).

Burnout 3: Takedown - Very impressive graphics (I have Burnouts 1 and 2 for Gamecube, this is definitely better than either), fun gameplay too... the EA Trax soundtrack is worse than Burnout 1 and 2's music, though.

The Warriors - Haven't played this yet, but it got good reviews I believe... it's a beat 'em up.

Crash n Burn - mediocre Burnout /Destruction Derby game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2010

One of these days you're going to have to post a picture of your games collection, ABF.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2010

Yeah, I should... I don't have a digital camera, but I do know people with them so I'm sure I could borrow one sometime and take some pictures...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 8th April 2010

I think once ABF's collection passes a certain critical thresh hold, he'll automatically become an internet video reviewer.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I think once ABF's collection passes a certain critical thresh hold, he'll automatically become an internet video reviewer.

I think once his collection passes a certain critical threshold, it'll achieve it's own gravitational pull which will suck in all the rest of the world's videogames before finally collapsing in on itself and going supernova.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 8th April 2010

But would it be fun?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th April 2010

The Legend of Zelda - Four Swords Adventures - $5, disc and case (no manual)

Yeah, lucky to find this one for so cheap... it's a game I've played a bit of, and one that I kind of wanted ever since first playing it (it is pretty fun in multiplayer, though it does require GBAs and cables of course), but I just didn't want to pay the $15-$20 that I always see it for, so I'd never picked it up. This is the first time I've seen it for so cheap, and of course I bought it right away...

At least, unlike FF: CC, you can play it in 1 player mode without having to use a GBA, with an on-screen "GBA". That is a very nice feature, FFCC should definitely have had it.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 10th April 2010

FF:CC CAN be played without a GBA when in one player mode actually. Did it myself all the time.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th April 2010

Not if you want to see the information that's only shown on the GBA screen you can't... you're right, I played FFCC with a GC controller, but I had to have the GBA plugged in the whole time. Because I only have an original GBA and a DS which can't be used with it, that meant wasting batteries and trying to see that dark screen at not-ideal lighting conditions... quite a pain. With an SP it'd be a lot less annoying I'm sure, but still, it was a bad design decision. Plus there are four different GBA displays, but you can only have one at a time? In multiplayer of course this works, the people have to work together with their different information, but in single player it's just awful, and pretty annoying. That game was not designed for single player, which is a problem in a game with a fairly high cost requirement to be played in multiplayer (at least at the time).

Zelda FSA, in comparison, actually has a "virtual GBA screen" that appears in single player mode on screen in parts where the GBA would be required in multiplayer. Much better design than FFCC. It still does require GBAs in multiplayer, which is again annoying (interesting and unique, but also annoying), but at least for single player you don't need it.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 10th April 2010

What the heck are you talking about? You don't need a GBA at all to play it single player. You can see all that information in-game, it isn't hidden on a GBA screen when playing Single Player. Actually I wasn't even aware you COULD simultaneously use a GBA for your "hidden data" in single player. I just paused it when I wanted to see that

Plus, your "hidden objective" is meaningless when you are guarenteed to "win" every time.

You can't look at the minimap while playing if you're not using a GBA too...

You're right that "view objective" mode is useless, but the enemy location viewer and, particularly, the minimap aren't.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 14th April 2010

These three were $10 for the three.

Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition (Dreamcast) - disc only
Norse By Norsewest: The Return of The Lost Vikings (PSX) - disc only
Total Eclipse Turbo (PSX) - complete longbox version

Total Eclipse Turbo is a port of a 3DO game. Looks it, too, graphically (that is it doesn't exactly push the PSX), and the controls are quite touchy. Decent game though, competent rail shooter. Not amazing, but not awful.

Norse By Norsewest I've owned for the PC for like ten years, but that port was messed up in a bunch of ways so I got this, even though it isn't the best game ever; Lost Vikings 1 was absolutely amazing, but the sequel was disappointing. Password save only here too, just like on the PC... oh well, at least you can use gamepads and it runs fullscreen without problems (both of those things were not the case on the PC Win95 version).

Super Runabout got bad reviews, but it's a "extreme" style racing game, so I finally decided to pick it up. Haven't played it enough yet to say much, but I will.

Then I went to Goodwill, and the below is from there.

100+ Great Games (PC, 1999 freeware, etc. games CD) - $1

Also for $0.50 each I got just the manuals for SimCity 3000 Ultimate and RollerCoaster Tycoon for the PC. I have Rollercoaster Tycoon, but just the jewelcase, no manual, so I got that of course, but the other I don't have... but it's a big thick manual, and how likely am I to get it if I do get the game in teh future (I do have the base SC3K, but I got it new when it came out so I do have that manual)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th April 2010

Xbox -- Kingdoms Under Fire: Heroes - $5, complete

Seems like an okay Dynasty Warriors style game... well, I think that's the style, haven't actually played a Dynasty Warriors game myself... I do have the slightly similar Mystic Heroes for Gamecube. I think I like that one more than this, it's less chaotic. Oh, there are still a good number of people on screen, but not this many,and actually that's sort of a good thing. I've only played this an hour, maybe it makes more sense if you play it more, but it's pretty random "run around hitting A a lot"... though of course that is what Dynasty Warriors is, so yeah, it's not like it was a surprise. This game was just cheap enough that I couldn't say no.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th April 2010

Xbox - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - $5

I've heard it's good but had always put off or passed on the game for other systems. I'm not sure why, I don't know if I'll like it and it usually seemed to be like $15 or more or something, which is more than I wanted to spend on the game... anyway, found it cheap and for Xbox, so I got it. Haven't played it yet.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2010

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS, card only) - $13 - Disappointing in a lot of ways, such as the stupid plot thanks to it being a NES remake and like most NES games the original did not exactly have an amazing plot, the mediocre art style, the lacking features due to it being a remake of the first Fire Emblem game ever (most of the stuff the newer games added is not in this one), the character selection in your party, that the first SNES game was also a remake of the first NES game, but it also had an entire second half that doubled the length of the game while that is missing here, and more. I did know all those things already though, which is why I'd put off buying the game for so long... but I was going to get it eventually of course, and I finally caved. I guess it was a good decision, because it is the only Fire Emblem game released in the US that I didn't already have, but it is the weakest of the US Fire Emblem games for sure, I think. Just too many issues.

I also got two Game Gear games. $3 each, with case and cart only.
Donald Duck in the Lucky Dime Caper - fun and colorful but hard platformer (you die very easily). This one's fun. Frustrating, but fun. At least you do seem to have infinite continues, which helps, for sure.
Slider (Game Gear) - Somewhat interesting little topdown action/puzzle game, you have to walk over all the tiles in the level to complete it. Passwords on every level, nicely! Decent game.

Finally, I got a transparent blue PS2 controller ($7). I've only had one PS2 controller up to now, the one that came with the system, and used a PSone controller for multiplayer PS2 games, but I do have one game that requires DualShock 2's, the price was cheap, it means I have four PS1/2 controllers now (for use with multitaps for instance), and the color is different, which is cool.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th April 2010

Wii
--
Mario Kart Wii - disc and generic white case only, $10

Sure I don't have the system yet, but I will, and I think that it's obvious that that's a really good price for the game. :)

Xbox
--
Hunter: The Reckoning - Redeemer - $3, complete -- Another fun action-RPG, the third and last Hunter game... I also have the first one for Xbox. I haven't played the second one yet (it was for PS2), but I"ll get it sometime. They're sort of like a Gauntlet Legends/ X-Men Legends/ etc. kind of thing, but with less RPG elements than those games, and no hub world -- it's entirely linear, and while you get experience, in the first game it doesn't get you much of anything. In this third game though you actually do get level ups, so while it's also linear, it's clearly improved. More plot too, with better cutscenes. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2010

PSX
--
Punky Skunk - complete, $5.50

I'd never heard of this game, but it's a 2d platformer for the PSX, so my curiosity got the better of me and I got it. It's okay, a very cutesy platformer with nice SNES or early Saturn-ish 2d graphics. Simple but fun gameplay, not much depth. Looks like it's on the short side too. Eh... it's not exactly common, and it's fun enough, so it was worth getting. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd May 2010

Xbox ($3 each, complete)
--
MX World Tour Featuring Jamie Little (supercross motorcycle racing game made by Left Field, it's no Excitebike 64 but it's okay)
FireBlade (helicopter flight action game published by Midway)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th May 2010

NES
--
Gradius - $6.25, cart only -- Gradius is one of my favorite shmups ever, I've been looking for it ever since I got a NES but hadn't seen a single copy since then. It's been very frustrating... sure, I did find Life Force last year, and that game's amazing, but I really, really wanted Gradius. Well, I FINALLY found a copy, and it's awesome. That game is still so incredibly great... hard, but great.

Then these three were disc only. It was $5 for all three.

Xbox
--
Dr. Muto - 3d platformer from Midway and one of Midway Games West's last games.
Test Drive - Why didn't this have a "7" after the name? Because that's what it is, very much like Test Drives 4-6...

PS2
--
God of War - Only got because it was so cheap... good game with great graphics, of course, but the story is so, so stupid, and the gameplay is repetitive.

These two were $3 each. Both are cart only.

N64
--
Tetrisphere - Heard lots of good things about this one over the years, but never played it.
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - I won't play it much soon, I bet, but have the other three games in the N64 series, I should complete it... and I did want the first one.

And finally, on Direct2Drive in the last week of their spring sale I got:

PC
--
Europa Universalis: Rome ($5) -- I got the first EU back in 2001 or so and found it overwhelmingly complex and abandoned the game after a little while. I haven't played a Paradox game since... but I decided to try again. Their games pretty much define grand strategy, and I know that if I ever really put the time into it these games are the kind of thing you can play for many, many hours. The depth of the strategic systems are just so deep and complex...