Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th August 2009

NES
--
Legendary Wings

SNES
--
TinStar

N64
--
Chameleon Twist

$10 total for the three. Chameleon Twist is a pretty fun little 3d platformer for sure... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st September 2009

TurboGrafx-16
--
Dungeon Explorer - from ebay, but under $10, and with the case! Very nice... good game too.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st September 2009

A few hours later I went out, and one of the nearby stores had a bunch of new stuff in... so I got a few. $12 total, but some good stuff. :)

Wardner (Genesis)
Golden Axe II (Genesis)
DayDreamin' Davey (NES)
Sheep (PSX)

Golden Axe II is one of my favorite Genesis games, after the first Golden Axe, and I'd been looking for it at a good price for years now. I'm really happy to finally have it... all Genesis Golden Axe games are awesome. :)

Sheep's a fun little puzzle game, nothing spectacular but I'd been thinking of getting it for some time. It was quite cheap so I finally got it. Not a bad game at all... not amazing, but decently fun and challenging, it seems.

Wardner I'd never heard of before, but the cartridge art was of some kind of fantasy game with monsters and such, so I got it, wondering what it was. It's kind of a fun little game. It's very difficult, but entirely pattern-based -- memorize the patterns and you'll get farther. Looking up some stuff on it evidently some people compare it to the Ghouls & Ghosts games, but I don't know if I'd go quite that far... I mean, this is tough, but not quite like THAT. :) So yeah, an interesting game well worth the gamble!

... As for the NES game I haven't spent much time with it, but it seems like a somewhat odd top-down action game, and the first level is a maze. I'll need to play this a bit more to see if I like it.

9/2
--
TGCD+stuff

9/3
--
Marvel Land (Genesis, cart only) -- Interesting platformer... very 8-bit style in gameplay and design, but with nice colorful graphics and some unique stuff. It's an arcade port evidently. The main character's male, but the sprite REALLY, REALLY looks like a girl... oh, and the game's set in a fantasy amusement park, and you have to rescue the princesses (erm, fairies. Whatever.) from the evil Lord Mole. What a thrilling plot. Gameplay's fun though, and it has password save with new passwords on every level, which is great. So yeah... very simple and oldschool design, but definitely fun. Oh, and it has sprite rotation... except every time the game does it, it slows down. A LOT. Lol )

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th September 2009

Genesis
--
Landstalker -- First impressions are very good... and it was just $3 (game and case, no manual), too! Quite a good price there... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th September 2009

From ebay... $18 for all of it, which makes it like $3 a game at most. All are disc only.

Sega Saturn
--
Daytona USA (already have this one)
Virtua Cop (yeah, another second copy)
Virtua Cop 2
Die Hard Arcade (probably the main reason the price went up that high, but just a decent beat 'em up)
Sega Rally Championship
Battle Arena Toshinden Remix
VR Soccer
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter Remix
Baku Baku (fun puzzle game that helped inspire Puzzle Fighter)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th September 2009

... I'd have posted that I got it, but I was too busy playing it. :)

SNES
--
Super Bonk -- only $8! It'd be at least twice that on EBay... and it's a great game too, so I had to get it. Good choice, it's a really good game. Too bad it's somewhat rare and not on VC or anything, anyone who liked the Bonk games on TG16 will love this as well. The graphics are amazing, music great, gameplay great high-end platformer fun with plenty of stuff to find such as lots of smilie faces and extra lives to get, alternate routes through the stages that means that the game won't always be exactly the same, and a somewhat easy difficulty level that gets harder at the end. Fantastic game, highly recommended... though play the first Bonk's Adventure first, if you can. This one's a much more 'open' game I guess, with more and longer minigames, the multiple routes, and more. As I said it looks great too, the SNES's color palette and graphics hardware are used quite well. The only negative is the slowdown, there's definitely slowdown here, as with many SNES games. You won't find that slowdown in TG16 Bonk. :) Other than that though, awesome stuff. There's some nice powerups such as small Bonk and huge Bonk and giant dragon Bonk, a third button (in addition to jump and bonk that is) which does attacks (which vary depending on form), and more. It is a bit short though, I beat it already. Took me maybe 3 hours I think, perhaps slightly more.

I'd gotten to the final stage without getting any Game Overs, and entered the middle of the stage with five or six lives left. However, I messed up that level badly, not knowing that the dragon Bonk could turn invisible to avoid spikes I just walked through them and lost three lives that way. Then I failed to get up a pit in time and was stuck at the bottom, with absolutely no way of getting back up because you needed meat (powerup level) to get up, and there wasn't any there anymore. Um... yeah, bad design there, to say the least! So I had to kill myself three times and start the entire stage over. Twice, because I died at the boss's first form the first time (you only get three lives!). And even when I did win, it was very close... I was low on health on my last life when I beat him. When I did it was quite satisfying and fun, though... yeah, definitely a good game. :)

Hudson abandoned the American market in early 1995, under a year after this game came out in 1994, unfortunately, for some reason. From 1995 to 2003, when Hudson finally established an American division again, the only Hudson games we got here were ones that other publishers picked up. This resulted in us missing a lot of great Hudson games we should have gotten, including 1995's Super Bonk 2. About the only Hudson games American publishers were interested in were Bomberman games... and Bomberman games are fun, but Hudson made other games too. At least we got this one, even if it obviously didn't sell hugely well. That's too bad, Hudson made good platformers. I like this game a lot, lot more than Super Adventure Island, for instance... that one's just too simple. Super Bonk is simply fantastic. I don't know if it's better than the TG16 Bonk games (and haven't really played the second or third of those anyway, I still have to get them), but it's good, and that's all that matters.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st September 2009

Saturn (from Play-Asia)
--
Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus cart -- yeah, finally got around to getting one of these. I had to get one eventually, and particularly before my save battery failed and I lost my saves... well, I've got it now, and two import games to use with it beyond the vital save backup feature (one is listed above, one other in this post).

Having to copy files back and forth all the time is annoying, but better than losing stuff... and even with the official cart, you'd still have to do that some because not all games support it. Also you'd have to remove it to use the 1 and 4 MB carts (assuming you have a modded system), and of course with Saturn that's not the best idea considering the cart port... but still, long-term that's what I'd prefer, but as it is this is awesome.

Saturn (from ebay)
--
Steamgear Mash -- a Japanese isometric 2d action game. It was pretty cheap ($9 with free shipping) and is a good game, so why not. The game's evidently short and only moderately challenging, and that's too bad because the gameplay is great fun and the controls work quite well... it's definitely worth a try. (Oh, the front piece of the spinecard was missing. Bah. The side and back parts were there, and the spinecard is hardly important, but still, bah. :))

TurboGrafx-16 (also ebay, for $5.50 with free shipping)
--
J.J. and Jeff -- I'd won this several weeks ago, but it took some time to get here. Well, it's here now. Decent game... it's a very simple, Adventure Island-style platformer but with the healthbar actually being health, and humor from a Japanese TV show. A lot of said humor revolves around toilet humor, and some was censored in this US version. Reviews are mixed because of the censorship and simplicity of the game, but oh well, it's not that bad, and at least you actually have a healthbar here, unlike, say, Adventure Island. The graphics are simple but clear, and the music is good early TG16 stuff. It's an early game on the system, and for that it looks reasonable. It definitely looks and plays somewhat 8-bit, but that was what the system was designed as: Something better than the NES, with WAY more colors and plenty of speed, and that's exactly what you get here. I played it about halfway through already, and despite mostly liking it have two major complaints: First, to continue you have to press and hold I and II and then also press Run and Select at the same time. That is, press all four buttons, but make sure to press I and II down first, because Run and Select together is the standard TG16 "reset the system" command, and if you press those two without the others the game will just reset and you start again from the beginning. You also start again from the beginning if you don't input that code in the time before the "Game Over" message dissapears from the screen... quite annoying to say the least! I messed it up which is why I stopped... well, that and one other thing: BACKWARDS WARPS! Okay, so the spring which sent me back just one stage wasn't so bad. But falling in a pit in stage 3-4 and being sent all the way back to 2-1? That's just evil! :( So yeah, very simple but fun game, but beware the traps and the continue function...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2009

Spent $11 total, $2 or $3 a game.

SNES
--
Breath of Fire (cart only)

Gamecube
--
X-Men Legends (disc only)

Playstation
--
Shipwreckers! (complete)

Dreamcast
--
Street Fighter III: Double Impact (disc only)

Breath of Fire I'm not exactly excited about, it's a traditional JRPG and I don't exactly love those... but for so cheap I couldn't resist. X-Men Legends is one I was interested in from when it came out, because of the gameplay similarities to Dark Alliance, but never got. Happy to get it now, I'll definitely play it. Shipwreckers is fun, I've played the PC demo before. It's also 5-player, another reason to pick up a PSX multitap sometime... :)

SFIII Double Impact, though, is the real awesome one here. SFIII is my favorite fighting game ever, and is just a stunning, stunning game... but all I'd played of it was the emulated version, the PS2 one a couple of times on someone elses' copy, and the DC burned version, not an actual version I owned. I know that Double Impact (it's a compilation of the first two versions of SFIII) isn't quite as good as Third Strike, but it is DC-exclusive -- neither of the games on the disc are available on any other home console -- and totally awesome. Third Strike may be better, but make no mistake, these two ones are exceptional as well, not far behind it on the list of the great fighting games, if you count different versions of each game separately. I'm very, VERY happy to have this game! So awesome...

The second one, 2nd Impact - Giant Attack, isn't working, but hopefully that can be cleaned off or fixed. The original one is working fine though, so I'm not too worried. The original would be easily worth that price alone, and then some!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd October 2009

PS2
--
Soul Calibur III -- I've played it a few times before, mostly in multiplayer, and playing it a bit more confirms what I saw before, and what most people agree... other than the very cool character creation feature, it's not as good as either game before it. Oh well... it was pretty cheap, and I had to get it (character creation is fun at least... :)).

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th October 2009

It'd been in the store for several days, but even though I definitely didn't need it and it's not that great a system, the price was just too good to resist...

Sega 32X - $19 for the whole package. It included the 32X unit, the Genesis 2 to 32X connector cable, a mono AV Genesis cable (that doesn't seem to work, sadly, I was looking forward to trying Genesis at something better than RF...), a Genesis 2/32X/GG power supply, and three games: Metal Head, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racing Deluxe.

It did not come with the spacer block for the Genesis 2, the adapter to hook the 32X up to a Genesis 1, the metal pieces you were supposed to use in the cart port when using the system with a Genesis 1, or the weird Sega CD end-plug thing. The spacer would be important, but the Sega CD plug thing is only used if you don't have a Sega CD, which of course I do. As for the metal pieces or Genesis 1 adapter, I don't have a working Genesis 1, so oh well.

Very nice price for all that... it's too bad that it didn't come with the spacer, I really want one because otherwise over time the 32X will damage the Genesis 2 (because that carts in the Genesis 1 cart slot sat deeper in, there's a gap between the top of the 32X and the Genesis 2... so all the pressure goes into the cart port. Over time this can damage it unless you use the plastic spacer between the 32X and the Genesis 2.), and a working AV cable would be great, preferably stereo, but other than that it's nice.

I mean, it's a bad system for sure, with few games (only 40), but even though it really should never have existed, it does, and with it my Genesis is now a bit more complete. The three games are all pretty good too, or at least are above average.

I also can finally play my two CD32X games now, though that's not such a plus, given how unbelievably horrible Supreme Warrior is and how Fahrenheit just isn't that fun. But oh well... I don't expect much from FMV games anyway. At least they do look a lot nicer than standard Sega CD games thanks to all of the additional colors on screen!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd October 2009

All of these games are cart only.

These three were $10 total (bought several days ago).

GBA
--
Rayman 3 -- Great game! Not too hard, but that's okay... it's got great graphics, good Rayman 1-style gameplay with some SNES-ish (Mode 7, etc) Rayman 2-=inspired racing, following-the-thing, etc. modes as well to keep things interesting. There are checkpoints, you get infinite continues from the beginning of the level, and you permanently keep the stuff you've collected once you get it. Very nice. I've been playing this one, it's good. :)

SNES
--
Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday -- Decent late-gen platformer from Sunsoft with nice, cartoony graphics. It fits the theme well. It's not too long (six levels, each with several not-too-long stages and a not-that-hard boss) and is on the easy side, clearly, something helped along by the infinite continues that continue you from whatever checkpoint you had reached, not just the beginning of the level, but I've gotten several levels in, and it seems fun enough and worth getting. :)

NES
--
Cobra Triangle -- Looks good, but haven't really had time to play this one yet.

Then these six were $8 total.

GB
--
Milon's Secret Castle

GB/GBC Dual Mode
--
Pokemon Pinball
Montezuma Returns!

GBC Only
--
Scooby-Doo Classic Creep Capers
Perfect Dark
Mickey's Racing Adventure

Haven't had time to play all of these, but Perfect Dark seems about as mediocre as review say it is, unfortunately; Milon's Secret Castle seems fun but quite annoying (like the NES version!), and Montezuma Returns! seems like an interesting sequel/remake to the '80s classic... hard game, but it seems to be pretty good.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th October 2009

Genesis
--
Crack Down -- $1 for a cart only copy of a solid Genesis game? How could anyone say no? I couldn't. :) I'd heard of the game before and seen some videos, and it didn't look very impressive so I was a bit hesitant about buying it, but after actually playing the game, it was absolutely the right decision! Crack Down is actually quite good. The graphics are an issue, the game essentially runs in a window that's about a third of the screen maybe, as it's permanently split-screen for the two player mode. In 1p mode the other side of the screen has a list of all the enemies you will face in that level, with their names and pictures), and there's also a big status bar section on the top of the screen above both windows, so the actual play window is quite small. The straight top-down view and early-gen graphics don't help either. The cutscene graphics look nice, though, and though small and top-down, the art isn't bad... the game looks decent, if simple.

The music, though, is actually great. Very good Genesis music here! And the gameplay, that's the best part... this is a good stealth-ish action game with some thought required. You can't just run around and blast everyone, you have to take cover along the walls, go out and shoot after they have, get enemies to shoot eachother (yes, they get hurt when they get hit by their allies' bullets! :D), and more. Pretty fun game. The one frustrating element are the movement puzzles. They'd be jumping puzzles if you could jump, but you can't, so the game has things like having to move between moving platforms over a pit and having to get past moving deathbeam things on the floor. These sections can be extremely frustrating, and in a few times I always die a lot in them. The collision detection's a bit iffy, sometimes I seem to die though I'm sure I'm safe. You need precise timing to get through. The rest of what I've played so far is a lot of fun, though. This looks like it'd be awesome in two player mode, too, I definitely want to try that sometime... it was obviously designed as a two player game first and foremost.

So yeah, if you see it for a few bucks, pick it up. Good game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2009

Two days ago...

PS2
--
Mojo! - $3. Simple and fun little rolling-ball puzzle game. Not very good graphics, but some fun gameplay... Worth the low price.

Today
--

Genesis
--
Mercs - $3. Cart only. Aka Commando 2: Mercs in the arcades. I've heard good things about this one, and it was cheap... why not. First impressions are that it seems a LOT like Shock Troopers on Neo Geo... obviously that was a Commando clone even more so than it was an Ikari Warriors one, I guess. Looks fun, though quite hard with the one player only and limited continues...

N64
--
Tarzan - $3. Cart only. Eh, why not, it's a 2.5d platformer. Played a few levels, seems fun but not too hard... graphics are nice and gameplay is fun though, so it was worth it for sure I'd say. Never did see this movie...

Dreamcast
--
Slave Zero - $2, disc only. First or third person shooter with a giant robot. PC port. Played one level, seems entertaining enough. :) (The store had gotten in several other DC games as well, but many of them I already had, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 I just don't like too much (I know $6 for disc only is cheap, but still...), and Power Stone 2, while good, was $18.

PSX
--
Vandal Hearts - $6. Complete with case and manual. Haven't played this yet, but the price seemed right and it looks decent...

Crash Team Racing - $1. Complete with case and manual, though untested. Why not, I've been kind of wanting this for a while, and it won't get much cheaper than that...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Fittisize - 10th November 2009

Since you started keeping track of all the games you bought in this thread, you've spent roughly $628.50. I added it up. For a huge number of games you didn't list the price though, so it's pretty hard to determine how much you've actually spent, but I'd say over $1000 is a pretty fair estimate.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2009

Since January '08? Not that much really... I imagine that the actual number is higher than that actually, I'll bet. :)

On that note, prices for a few relatively recent things I didn't mention prices for...

TGCD+stuff: $100 (and I need to put another $30-plus into it to get the CD drive actually working... knew that when I got it, though. These things are expensive. Itr was worth it...)

Saturn Action Replay 4-in-1 cart: $25 (as I think I said, on sale, so it was only $25 instead of $30)

Soul Calibur III (PS2): $4

Marvel Land (Genesis): $3

Dungeon Explorer (TG16): $9 or so

Grandia (Saturn): $12

Game Boy (all cart only) -- these three were $4 for the three.
--
Adventure Island II
Battle Arena Toshinden
DuckTales 2

Star Wars (GG)- $3-$5 (probably $5)
Karnaaj Rally (GBA) - $2-$5 (forget exactly, guessing $2)
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (PSX) - $2
Frogger 2 - Swampy's Revenge (DC) - $2
Hydro Thunder (DC) - $2

Crystal Warriors (GG) - $12-$15 or so? I forget exactly... somewhere around there.

Guerilla War (NES) - $4

Twin Cobra (Genesis)
R.C. Pro-Am (NES)
Scooby-Doo: Classic Creep Capers (N64) - these three were $6 total.

... That covers this page anyway. Going back further I don't know if I'd still remember...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2009

Oh, and I never mentioned those Direct2Drive games in this thread, just in the thread I created to talk about them, so why don't I. See the thread I made at the time for more info. :)

PC - Direct2Drive 5th Anniversary Sale titles ($5 each)
--
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Supreme Commander Gold
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
BioShock
World in Conflict Gold

The only one of these I've put a lot of time into so far is Drakensang (which is great), but I couldn't miss opportunities at such great recent PC games for so ridiculously cheap...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2009

Got a couple of more things today...

Bushido Blade 2 (PSX) - $3, complete. I've played this a bit now, pretty interesting and fun game. The final bosses are really frustrating, but other than that it's a pretty innovative and original game, and fun too. Well worth getting!

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (PS2) - $2, disc only. I've been meaning to get a PS2 Tenchu for a while now, and for that price I couldn't refuse. Played two levels, it's pretty much exactly like PS1 Tenchu but with better graphics. Eh, good enough I guess.

Also, I got a PSX multitap for $1. It's so stupid that you need different multitaps for PSX and PS2 games, even if you're playing both on a PS2... you can use the same controllers, and the same system, but the same multitap? No, of course not. It's somewhat annoying... but anyway, I don't have a PS2 multitap (I have no games that would support it), but as I have picked up four PS1 games with multitap support in the past few months (Circuit Breakers, Crash Team Racing, College Slam, and Shipwreckers), it seemed worth the minimal price. I'll probably use it sometime.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th November 2009

$10 total. From the 'buy 2 used games get 1 free' place, as with a good number (but not all) of the times when I get three games. :)

PS2
--
Sly Cooper in Thievus Raccoonus -- Played this for several hours already, definitely a good game. Might be better than the second one (the only one I'd played before) as most people say, too... either way it's a great game. Just got done playing it for several hours... I'm in the second area already, Mesa City. Nice graphics, great gameplay, fun levels, some real challenge... this is just a really well made, really fun game. Of Insomniac's games I still like Rocket: Robot on Wheels best (it's just more original, with all the physics-based platforming...), but this one's great. I'll definitely pick up the third game eventually too.

Saturn
--
Night Warriors: DarkStalkers Revenge (disc only)
Blazing Dragons (disc only)

The store had recently got a Saturn with a bunch of games. All were disc only unfortunately, and the rest of the games were either sports games or ones I had already, but these two were definitely interesting, so I couldn't resist them. Night Warriors (aka Darkstalkers 2) might not have been worth it, considering that I already have Darkstalkers 3 for the PSX, which has just about everything this one does plus a whole bunch more stuff, but I couldn't resist a Saturn 2d fighting game, I didn't have any... and plus, it's a great game, and it'll be more fun with the Saturn controller than it'd be on Playstation. :)

Blazing Dragons I'd heard was an adventure game, but hadn't played before. Well, it is an adventure game, a graphic adventure actually. It's a comedy fantasy game, and quite well done. It's done in the PC graphic adventure style, with a cursor, item collecting, item puzzles, and everything you expect. The game's entirely 2d, with a fully voice acted script with all British actors (the publisher, Crystal Dynamics, was British). First impressions are definitely good... it's funny, with an amusing plot and some good humor too. I'm not too far in, but bah, where is that tube I need... :) Adventure games are great, I'll definitely be playing this one more!

Also, the collection of Saturn games included two demo discs. When I mentioned this to the guy who owns the store, he said I could just have them for free. So I now have these as well... nothing too interesting, but whatever.

Saturn
--
Choice Cuts (a CD with a bunch of videos of games on it, no actual playable demos on this disc sadly. Lame.)

Saturn Bootleg Sampler (this disc has three playable demos as well as some videos of games. The playable demos are Sega Rally Championship, NHL All-Star Hockey '95 (the '95 was dropped from the final title), and Clockwork Knight 2. I played the Clockwork Knight 2 demo, seems like an okay game but nothing amazing. It's a 2.5d platformer with no saving (Sega standard!), and with just basic camera movement. This game's no Pandemonium, Goemon's Great Adventure, Klonoa, etc, that's for sure. Still, if it (or the first one) were quite cheap, I might pick them up... nothing special for sure, but not awful either.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2009

Saturn
--
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 -- $3, complete. Ehh, I passed on this one for several weeks after I first saw it, as it's just an MK game and while the theme is fun I've never really liked the gameplay of the MK series all that much, but for so cheap I eventually caved. Not sure if it was worth it yet, I'm awful at the game because this, surprisingly enough, is the first MK game I actually own... and the only 2d MK games I've played much of before this are MK1 and MK2, and this one's somewhat different. I have played a little of Trilogy, which is a lot like this, and 4, which isn't, but not that much of either, really. As for Saturn UMK3, my immediate reaction is to say that it's okay, but not great. MK special moves are confusing, they don't work like Street Fighter ones as most all Capcom and SNK fighters do, so I'm not very good at them... and of course the manual lists like two moves per character, so a guide is pretty much required if you want to do well. Not sure if I'll bother, maybe I'll just get MK2 for the Genesis or something and play that instead (I know, SNES version is better, but they're easier to find for Genesis...)... I do want the 32X version of MK2 sometime, but only if it didn't cost much.

But anyway, I got it. I think I'll be playing a lot more of Night Warriors than this one, that's for sure. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th November 2009

Game Boy
--
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (cart only, $3)

... Yeah, a questionable purchase. On the one hand, $3 isn't much, the game is decent, and I didn't previously have any of the GB TMNT games, though I have played one before because my cousins had one of the Million Seller series re-release of this game. (at least, I think it was this one... it may have been the second one, I'm not certain, but I'd guess it was the first). They sold their old GB stuff years back, but I remember it being quite short and easy. I don't remember playing it much because it was so uninteresting compared to the arcade beat 'em ups...

Anyway, the reason why it's a questionable purchase for anyone other than a TMNT fan. It's short. Really short. No too hard either. It's only got five levels, and here is a level select on the main menu so if you get game over you can just start again from that level. They levels aren't too long and the difficulty level is low. I did get a couple of game overs before beating it, in the final level, but got the first four levels losing only three turtles (that is, not getting one game over yet). Beat the game in less than an hour, and there's not much else to do aside from trying to find where the three bonus games are hidden, and they're nothing too amazing. So yeah, there's not much content here.

But on the other hand, as a Turtles fan of course I had to have it when I saw the cart. It's got a decent GB-ized version of the Turtles theme in it, the graphics are okay, and ... well, it's Ninja Turtles. Of course it's worth playing. Also, though it's way, way too short, what there is is fun... it's more side-scrolling beat 'em up than it is platformer, and it works. It is a Konami game, and has good graphics and sound as you'd expect, with the distinctive Konami GB look of all their early GB titles. It's no competition for the beat 'em ups, of course, but for what it is, eh, not bad. The graphics are good for an early GB game (this was a 1990 release), the music is good as I said, and the levels, while far too short, are well designed. The gameplay's simple but fun, and reminded me of Ninja Gaiden Shadow for some reason... though that game's far deeper and better than this one. Anyway, the last level was pretty fun, took me three continues to beat. :) So yeah, far too short and you'll beat it in half an hour to an hour, but what's there is done well, for a simple side-scrolling beat 'em up game.

... I still want the third GB TMNT game a lot more though. I remember thinking that that game looked pretty cool back when it came out in 1993, but didn't get it at the time, and don't remember seeing it very often... it's not that common, sadly. Too bad, it looked like a pretty good game. Non-linear design, exploration, and more... supposedly it's hard, but I want to play it. It's the rarest of the three by far though, unfortunately.

Anyway, downsides aside

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th November 2009

... Gah, I didn't want to get anything (ie to spend any more money), but I was in the Salvation Army store for the first time in a while, and WOAH. They'd recently agotten in a LOT of older PC games, including MANY great ones. All at $3 each. Unfortunately whoever sold them was ripping them off with a bunch of the boxed games, many of which were missing their discs (either the jewelcase was just gone, there was no disc in the case, one disc of the game's three was missing, etc), but even though that's disappointing, there were lots of jewelcase-only games too, all with their discs and everything. I got a bunch of those, and I think there are more I have to get... I may not want to spend this much money, but you get an opportunity like this you simply can't skip it. I'd regret it for so long if I did...

Anyway, for about $40 ($3 each), this is what I got. All PC games of course, and all jewelcase-only.
--
Myth: The Total Codex
Outwars
Motorhead
Blackthorne CD-ROM
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Outcast
The Beast Within (Gabriel Knight 2)
Full Throttle
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!
Return to Zork
Fallout 2
Final Doom
Jazz Jackrabbit 2

... Yeah, amazing stuff. And there are lots more I'm seriously considering going back for... but first this. They were going to just throw out the boxed games which were missing their CDs, so I asked for a couple of the boxes and they gave them to me. So, I also got these two for free, with no game discs included of course. They're both the old-style full-size PC game boxes. You know, the good kind. :)

MechWarrior 2 - original DOS version. Complete with all manuals, advertising paperwork, the jewelcase, etc... just the actual disc is missing. Awesome stuff even without it though!

Wizardry Gold - box with manual and warranty card. Wizardry Gold is an upgraded version of Wizardry 7. I have a disc-only version of Wizardry 7, so I thought this would be worth it anyway... and classic PC game manuals are usually important. This has a good thick manual. :)

Some of the (many) other games they had that I didn't get yet but am considering getting soon include...

Jewelcase only (that is the ones actually guaranteed to have discs in them): Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium Pack (the expansion; I have the original, but not this); EarthSiege; StarSiege; X-Car; HyperDrome; Fury3; Dragon's Lair (MPEG ed.); Temujin; MDK; Panzer Dragoon; Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six; Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer 2; Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity (actually a quality adventure game from what I've heard of it, though I don't care about the show so it's probably not worth it); Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far; Cyberia; Harvester; Dark Reign; Star Wars: Force Commander; WarGames; and more...

For the boxed games, and yes these are complete, Prince of Qin (small box) and Space Bunnies Must Die (large box).

As for boxed games that I didn't have time to check for discs, there are some I']d like to do that for... MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (small box), Painkiller (small box), a collection of 4 Star Trek games (New Worlds, Starfleet Academy, the Starfleet Academy addon (Chekov's Lost Missions), and Starfleet Command), and the Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates expansion (sealed and unopened, this should be complete!). Maybe also check the collection box with SimCity 2000, Streets of SimCity, and SimCopter, not sure about that one.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2009

$2 each. These ones are worth a lot more than that online... one particularly has some definite value. Not that Goodwill would know that. :)

PC
--
The Legend of Kyrandia Book Two -- The second of a Westwood adventure game series from the early '90s. I don't know much about these, but this seems to be the best regarded and most expensive of the three, going for like $20 at least on ebay... some good reviews too, I think. I should try this one, even if it would be nice to start from the first game...
The Legend of Kyrandia Book Three: Malcom's Revenge -- the last one in the series. A little cheaper than the one above, but still at least $12 or something on ebay.
L-Zone (from 1994. Rare and pricey... no copies on EBay now or recently, but this is probably worth at least $40-$50. It's a prerendered CG adventure-ish game, except more about just experiencing the environment I guess. Japanese development team. They made several other PC games too, which are also quite rare.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th November 2009

I went back to Salvation Army a couple of days ago but forgot to post this, checking stuff. Got five of the boxed games, four with the seal stickers still on them (that is, seemingly unopened) and one with all three discs, so hopefully they're complete ones. I'm going to open them now, I don't collect sealed games, I buy them to actually use.

Got two jewelcase-only games as well. As with before, all games were $3 each, box or no.

Jewelcases
--
Duke Nukem 3D: Plutonium Pack (the expansion. I have the original (not boxed, but the free copy that came with an issue of PC Gamer in about 2000, but I have it), but that didn't come with this, and this isn't easy to find now... I know 3DRealms sells a digital-download version of the Atomic Edition (original+expansion) for $6, but this is cheaper. Oh, they did have a jewelcase copy of the original Duke 3D as well, but I don't need that.

Diablo: Hellfire expansion (got this because it's evidently like $25 on EBay... I don't actually have Diablo I at the moment (just the second one and its expansion), but if I ever get it, I won't see the expansion very often for THIS price...)

Boxed games (four of these five are, I think, unopened)
--
Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries (small box, seals still on it)
Prince of Qin (small box, open but complete)
Space Bunnies Must Die (large box, seals on it)
Star Trek Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates, with Bonus Missions Disc attached to the back of the box (large box, seals on it) (this is actually the expansion to Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2, but it's stand-alone and doesn't require the original game)
Gamefest: 4 Complete Star Trek Games (large box, seals on it; games included are Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy - Chekov's Lost Missions, Star Trek: New Worlds, and Star Trek: Starfleet Command (the first one).

... I don't know if I'd have gotten all of those boxed ones had they been jewelcase-only, likely I'd have gotten a few others instead, but I couldn't resist decent cheap boxed PC games, particularly not the ones with the big boxes... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 29th November 2009

$9 for the three. Cart only.

NES
--
Conquest of the Crystal Palace -- pretty good game, the main highlight here. Very fun game. Cartridge is dirty, but I'll clean it...
Kid Niki: Radical Ninja -- hard and frustrating... awesome late '80s/early '90s cover though, just brilliant stuff... Lol
Shingen the Ruler -- battery-backed strategy game (not Koei). If I take the time to learn it it definitely looks interesting...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st December 2009

Mirror's Edge was $5 on Steam yesterday (one day only sale as part of their series of those this past week, sorry if you missed it :(), so I had to get it. I mean, I've been wanting that game ever since I first heard of it, and that's a pretty amazing price for it...

Haven't played it yet though, it started downloading incredibly slowly. Stupid download-only games, I like having physical media... :)

--
12/2/09
--

Happened to go into Salvation Army again, and nearly everything in the store was 50% off, so though otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten anything (while they have a bunch of stuff, nothing is an absolutey must-own...), I got some more games. $1.50 each was just too cheap to pass up!

All PC games of course. All Jewelcase only.
--
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms
Carmageddon Max Pack (original plus expansion)
Scorched Planet
Scud: Industrial Evolution
Panzer Dragoon
Dark Reign: The Future of War
The Interstate '76 Arsenal (original plus expansion)
Starsiege
SWIV 3D Assault
Harvester
Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th December 2009

NES
--
Life Force - $8 cart only (well, with a sleeve), but it's one of my most-wanted NES games... I started looking for Gradius and Life Force pretty much the day I got my NES, but hadn't found a single copy of either one until now. Well, I still want Gradius, that one is my favorite, but it's very, VERY awesome to find this... Life Force is a fantastic game, easily one of the system's best shmups, along with Gradius I and II, Crisis Force, and Parodius at least, that is... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th December 2009

... Forgot to post this one...

DS
--
Mario Kart DS -- $10, card only. This was three or four days ago. I wasn't planning on getting anything for a while, but come on, how often do you see MKDS for $10? I never have before... it's always at least twice that. I'd wanted the game, but hadn't wanted to spend that much, so it was pretty awesome to find it. Well, it's fun... not perfect (DS 3d is so jaggy and horrible looking!), but quite good. I've gotten through the 50cc and 100cc circuits so far, working on 150cc. Good stuff... Luigi's the best. :) (The AI's so cheap... but that's always true in MK games thanks to the weapons... :))

Sorry, no, still don't have wi-fi access most of the time though.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th December 2009

$5 total.

NES
--
Blaster Master (cart with sleeve)

PS2 (both complete)
--
Smuggler's Run
HSX - HyperSonic.Xtreme

Smuggler's Run seems okay but unspectacular. HSX is alright, it's an average futuristic racing game with no weapons but with a nice track editor. Blaster Master... well I imagine everyone here knows that one, probably better than I do. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2009

Gotten online, you never find TG16 games around here... this was about $7.50.

TurboGrafx-16
--
Side Arms (card, sleeve, and manual only) -- Fun shmup.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd December 2009

Genesis
--
Shadow Blasters (cart only, $3)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 28th December 2009

PS2
--
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum -- $8. And yeah, it's just as "kind of odd and not as good as KOFXI" as I'd always heard... but it was a good price, and it's a game I've been meaning to get sometime pretty much as long as I've owned a PS2, so I got it. The game system is weird, though. So it's 2-on-2, but if EITHER of your characters goes down you lose, so you have to swap out regularly. Your characters recover some health when they're the one not being used. It's kind of interesting, but I can already see it being very frustrating when someone suddenly takes a lot of damage and gets knocked out but your other person had some health left but you didn't manage to or have time to switch... and that is why any of the KOF systems are better than this, I think. Still, I like SNK fighting games, so it's worth having. It is interesting, anyway, I'll have to play it some more... but for more serious fighting game play, I'll definitely stick to stuff like KOF.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th December 2009

Steam holiday sale time... (seriously, anyone not getting stuff on Steam, GOG, and Direct2Drive's holiday sales, DO SO! TODAY! Hundreds of games are available at good discounts! The sales are all almost over, too...)

For PC, on Steam. About $13 total... yes, seriously.
--
Medieval II: Total War ($5)
Evil Genius ($2)
Jade Empire: Special Edition ($3.50)
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast ($2.50)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2010

Added Shattered Horizon ($5, and evidently actually a PC game that pushes my hardware -- it's DX10 only and my computer is actually the minimum specs! Wow! Sure, it's an online-only FPS, but it's a sort of Descent-like, zero-gravity game... sounds interesting. Plus anyone actually making high-end PC-only games deserves to be rewarded, I think.) and Street Fighter IV ($10. No SSFIV PC version has been announced yet, and that price is pretty good, so I went for it...). Holiday sales are awesome. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2010

Yes, another unmissable one-day Steam deal today... $5 Mass Effect! Yeah, so I got it.

The sale ends Jan. 3, so only a few more days left...

Also, stopped in at a store today (that was actually open), and they had some new stuff, including one game I bought...

Sonic Chaos (Game Gear) -- $6, cart only. Decent Sonic platformer, feels a lot like the first Sonic on the GG except with better graphics and a way lower difficulty level. No saving of course, but you have infinite continues, there are actually coins in the boss levels (though it's in the form of a single semi-hidden coin box, not just coins lying around, sort of like the semi-hidden 1-ups in the first GG Sonic, except probably more useful...). I haven't finished it yet, but I probably well if I stick with it, it definitely isn't that hard. Sonic and Tails are slightly different, so it might be worth playing with both...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 2nd January 2010

Trine's $5 in the Steam holiday sale today as a daily sale, so I got it. The game looks pretty good, some nice graphics and interesting side-scrolling puzzle/platformer gameplay...

Also, I got Zelda: Spirit Tracks for the DS for Christmas. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th January 2010

$1 each. Yeah, really.

PC
--
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix (complete)
Screamer (jewelcase only)
Sacred Plus (jewelcase only)
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (in papersleeve)
Luxor 2 (in cardboard sleeve)
Block Party 2 (in cardboard sleeve) (contains Mozaki Blocks Deluxe and Cubis 2)

Worth it for Puzzle Quest: Galactrix alone... the first Puzzle Quest is a fantastic game, and from what I've seen so far this one looks great as well. It's more complex, thanks to having hexes instead of squares for the board, but the core gameplay is just great. Sacred was probably worth it as well, the game looks like a decent Diablo clone. The rest I only got because of the price.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2010

Some stuff I got on EBay (all three in one package) came today... $13 total, and like half of that was the quite overpriced shipping. Oh well, the overall price wasn't that bad... oh, all three are cart/card only.

The Ooze (Genesis)
Solar Striker (Game Boy)
Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16)

Later in the day, I stopped by the Salvation Army to see if any of the PC games were left. Some (though not all) were, and they were 50% off again, so for $1.50 each I got these:

PC
--
Front Page Sports: Ski Racing (Sierra) - Win95 game. I can't get this game to run at all, and can't find much on it online... oh well, I'll just have to play it on my old computer.

MDK - Win95/DOS hybrid game. Works fine, looks nice, and is surprisingly good with a joystick. I don't need that PSX copy of MDK anymore... :)

MegaRace 2 - DOS game. The sequel to the cheesy classic... :)

Amok - DOS/Win95 hybrid game. The Win95 version doesn't start at all, but the DOS version works perfectly in DOSBox so I'm not going to spend much time trying to figure out if the Win95 version can be fixed. Plus, it's not that great a game -- it's a very simple mech shooter with a very short draw distance. It does have a great Jesper Kyd soundtrack, though...

Cyberia - DOS game. Prerendered CG FMV action/adventure game, sort of like a Rebel Assault but with a lot more railed walking around cooridors. Nice graphics for the time, though it's all prerendered of course. I'll probably play it, it looks alright... it is sci-fi, and at least it's not live actors! :)

Finally, I stopped in another store, and ended up buying some stuff.

First, they had a Sega Genesis Team Tap, second model. This is the first-party Genesis multitap compatible with ALL multitap-compatible games, both EA 4-Way Play and Sega Team Tap model 1 titles. I'd been looking for one of these, it's very cool to have it... finally I can play Gauntlet IV and the NBA Jam games with more than 2 people, whenever I have an opportunity to do that. :) Also, it was just $2, can't beat that price!

Games... got a couple.
--
Phelios (Genesis) -- $5. Great shmup! Cart only. Another store had a complete copy, but it was $10... I thought about it, but it didn't quite seem worth twice the amount to get the case and manual. Oh well...

NBA Jam (Genesis) -- Cart only. This and the two games below were $2 total -- the store has a bin of sports games for various systems, $1 each or $2 for three. I got three. I got this because, well, I did just get the multitap that works with it... and why not? I still want NBA Jam TE for the 32X the most, though!

Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II (Genesis) - complete copy. It's an okay sim/arcade hybrid racing game. Don't crash that car, you won't get a second chance without restarting the race! Somewhat impressive production values though, the game actually has a save battery in it... very nice, and rare for Sega. Okay game overall, but I like arcadey racing games better than simmish ones, even in 16-bit...

Outrun (Sega Master System) - complete copy, with cool SMS poster. I couldn't find anything else I really wanted in the box, so I got this game for a system I don't have instead... I'll probably have one eventually though, and the poster is worth the $0.66 alone, probably. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2010

So we went to my cousins' this weekend for a late Christmas visit because of the aforementioned things that came up during the holidays, and they gave me an additional gift, bringing me to their local Gamestop where they said I could get about $40 worth of stuff. Here's what I picked...

PS2
--
Okami ($10) (I've mostly heard good things, hopefully it'll be as good as many people say it is! Some people do say that it's a little easy and too long (because of too much padding), but we'll see what I think.
Kim Possible: What's the Switch ($10) (this is actually a good side-scrolling 2.5d platformer)
Xenosaga Episode I ($6) (it's like 80 hours long and I haven't gotten more than 5-10 hours in any of the other five or six traditional JRPGs I have on the PS2... but I got this anyway for some reason. Um, yeah... I doubt I'll get any farther in this than those others, but I wanted it anyway.)
Metal Slug Anthology ($20) (incredible of course... we then played some of them together, and beat Metal Slugs 3, 4, and 6. I'd never played 6 before, it was the major reason I wanted this... and yeah, it's great. It's just fantastic that I found this... such an amazing collection!)

That was really nice of them, I was quite appreciative... :)

(Oh, I gave them Banjo-Kazooie and Top Gear Overdrive for the N64, and MechAssault, GTA Vice City, Burnout 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and JSRF/Sega GT 2002 for the Xbox.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th January 2010

Picked up Technoclash for the Genesis (with box, but no manual) for $3. Okay game, though it is a little complex... I'll say more once I've played it some more. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th January 2010

Got The Adventures of Willy Beamish for Sega CD for $1... with the original box and manual! The box isn't in great shape and it didn't come with the jewelcase or whatever the disc came in originally, but still, awesome deal there...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th January 2010

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn) - $11 or so, disc only, from EBay. I finally caved and bought this game, which I think often goes for a bit more than I paid for it... only played a little so far, but, well, it's Panzer Dragoon, and thus it's amazing. Need more be said? It's a must-own, I'm very happy to have it!

Nightshade (PS2) - $4 -- Been thinking of getting this for a while, and it was cheap enough that I got it. I don't have that many 3d action games like this, actually... I played the first three levels. There's definitely some challenge here, particularly if you want a rating better than C (that's all I've gotten in the first three levels), but it's not impossible or something so far. Seems pretty fun, if with some sometimes iffy controls. I'll be playing this more.

Knights in the Nightmare (DS) - $25 -- We'll see if this was worth it... I know you won't find it for much less than that so it wasn't a bad deal, but I don't often spend that much on a single game anymore. It's been a while since the last time I spent that much on a game, I think... and the last game from this team was Yggdra Union, which was initially interesting but I ended up disliking because of the not very well told, overly depressing for no good reason, and very poorly explained story, as well as the deeply flawed gameplay that often made actually playing the game really, really frustrating. It looked awesome, but the gameplay and story... no. I loved Riviera, of course (the team's first game in this series that changes genres with each title), but considering my issues with Yggdra Union, we'll see whether this game was worth it or not... hopefully it is and I didn't waste my money.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd January 2010

I'd seen it there a week or two ago, but didn't want to get it unless it was cheaper... well, it was today. I got an Xbox from Salvation Army for $20 -- half off the sticker price. It came with the power and AV cables, a controller (the original kind, which was another thing I liked about it because I prefer the original Xbox controller to the S), and a game that was in the drive, Namco Museum -- at least it's a decent one, and something I don't have!

They didn't test it of course, but it works fine, fortunately. I picked up two other games (complete) for $3 each at another store.

Xbox
--
System w/ 1 original-style controller, cables
Namco Museum (disc only)
Quantum Redshift
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

... Yeah, definitely two of my more wanted Xbox games. I've played some of both before, they're just fantastic games... but I hadn't played much single player Crimson Skies. Awesome game!

It is too bad, though, that my TV's 480p mode evidently doesn't work. The thing has component plug inputs on the back, and my cousins gave me a PS2/Xbox/X360 component/composite cable, but either the cable or the TV is bad, because with both the PS2 and Xbox, when I go into 480p mode the screen badly messes up. I'm betting it's the TV because the cable works fine in composite... (it has both a yellow plug and the three component plugs as well as white and red audio jacks). PS2 has very few games with progressive scan support so I didn't care much, but Xbox has more so it's kind of too bad, considering I actually have the cable. Oh well.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2010

Not a good day for other reasons, but I did get a bunch of stuff...

The six games without prices were $20 total for the six of them. Yes, including SotC. The others were priced as listed.

PS2
--
Shadow of the Colossus, complete
Maximo vs. Army of Zin, complete
Radiata Stories - $5, complete

Xbox
--
JSRF / Sega GT 2002 - $2, complete
Dead Or Alive 3 (complete, except the front of the cover is missing (the back and side parts of the case cover are there, but the front is gone)) - I like DOA games...
Hunter: The Reckoning (complete) -seems like a fun Gauntlet/Dark Alliance game, though the levels are a bit frustratingly long for a game with no savepoints during the level... dying can send you back a long way.
Blood Wake (complete) - bland graphics, competent but nothing special gameplay, I think.
Rogue Ops (complete)
SSX On Tour - $5 for this and the two games below. All three are disc only.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
Blinx the Time Sweeper - $5 (game and case, no manual) - seems decent, though perhaps challenging if you're trying to get all the stuff... nice graphics.
Sudeki - $6 (complete) - very good graphics! The environments particularly look impressive. Gameplay is okay, but simple. Evidently the game's biggest flaw is that it's short and has virtually no ending or resolution, though... too bad. Seems like it might be worth playing anyway. Oh, the female character designs are somewhat ridiculous... going a bit overboard, perhaps?

PC
--
Cyberia 2: Resurrection - $1, jewelcase only (I got the first Cyberia recently, so why not pick up the sequel too?)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th January 2010

Psychonauts is $2 on Steam this week. Bought it of course.

Also, Wipeout for the Saturn arrived from EBay. $6. It's complete, and the case is in great condition... cool. The graphics aren't as good as the PSX original, but the gameplay's way, way better because they fixed the "you stop when you hit walls" problem. The original PSX game just was so horribly difficult and unfun because of how badly you get punished for hitting walls. The Saturn game's more like the rest of the Wipeout series in that you lose some speed, but certainly not all of it. Great. I actually beat Wipeout's easy circuit, Venom! I never did that on the PSX version despite having it for years, it's just too hard. So yeah, this was worth getting. :)

1/28
--
Got two jewelcase-only PC games, Mob Rule and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, for $2 each.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2010

Xbox
--
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy -- Fun 3d platform/adventure game. I'd been meaning to get it for GC for years, but this is just as good, and was cheap too ($6, complete). Played an hour or so so far, it seems pretty good. My only real complaint would be the save system, it's frustrating that you can only save at certain points, so if you die you get sent all the way back... and cutscenes are unskippable so if you find something hard, you'll be watching the cutscenes in that part of the game over and over. Argh. Mostly a good game, though.

Tenchu: Return from Darkness ($4) -- Yeah, I already have this on PS2, but why not get it on Xbox too, considering that it does have a couple of new levels and better graphics... and I like Xbox more than PS2... and it was pretty cheap. This was probably worth it. These are fun games. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2010

You're certainly becoming a serious collector, and by serious I mean you should consider rehab. Buying so many bad games isn't good for you. Yeah there's some good ones there, as well as ones I've never heard of and that's always an experiment.

Ya know, in the end you should convert some den into a sanctum sanctorum of old video game shelves all around. Oh, with all those PC games, not even DOSBox is enough for you any more. You need to get an old 486 PC with some General MIDI or MT-32 compatible sound and an S3 video card to play all that stuff on. Play it all on a multiboot with DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 98 SE. Complete the experience with an old "loud click" keyboard.

Blinx eh? I remember that. It was a fun game. I also remember it was Microsoft's ill-fated attempt to claim a kid friendly mascot for their system. Every game company since Nintendo on through the mid 2000's when the practice finally came to a stop seemed to feel the need to get themselves a mascot. Sony tried Crash, and it worked for a while but now he's freelance, and they later tried Ape Escape, but those monkeys are not nearly popular enough to be a mascot. Sierra had King Graham, but after hollowing themselves out from the inside, only retro gamers even know who the guy is any more, and Sierra doesn't help by not even mentioning him between shoddy ports of their old Adventure series. Capcom has Megaman, but he kinda fights with Ryu for dominant mascot role with them at times, and modern audiences don't know about him nearly as much as retro gamers, and lately they don't really push Megaman as "mascot" at all. The Final Fantasy series, being what it is, doesn't really have a main character that can be called Square-Enix's mascot. There's moogles, I suppose, but then again Enix really loves their slimes. That merger kinda messed up mascots for them.

Really I can only think of two companies that have managed to keep a mascot that's actually "stuck" in the mainstream conciousness. Sega still has Sonic, though at the rate they are churning out unpopular Sonic games, he's becoming less and less memorable to modern audiences. Still, even with that in mind, people still think of Sonic when they hear "Sega". And of course, Nintendo has Mario. Mario's mascot status is simply undeniable at this point. I'd say that he's the most succesful video game company mascot ever. Heck, I'd go beyond that and say he's the most succesful company mascot ever, mainly because the only company mascots I can think of are a few cereal box guys right now and that probably proves the point right there, except for Mickey Mouse, obviously. I still think even that's debatable though. Who is more popular? Mickey or Mario? I don't have any real data on that and the best I have is some possible propaganda from some point in the 90's saying Mario was more popular, but I can't source that memory.

One thing's for sure, Mario has managed to stay popular to this day in a way that no other video game mascot, from the more succesful ones to the fail after fail that was the "animal character in a platformer" brigade, has managed. New Super Mario Bros Wii is insanely popular just as Super Mario Bros was, and Super Mario World after that, and Super Mario 64 after that, and Super Mario Galaxy after that, and that's not even mentioning the handheld games.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2010

Quote:Ya know, in the end you should convert some den into a sanctum sanctorum of old video game shelves all around. Oh, with all those PC games, not even DOSBox is enough for you any more. You need to get an old 486 PC with some General MIDI or MT-32 compatible sound and an S3 video card to play all that stuff on. Play it all on a multiboot with DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 98 SE. Complete the experience with an old "loud click" keyboard.

I know you're kind of joking here, but... I do still have my WinME machine (not here, but at my moms' house), sure it's a P4 1500Mhz, but it can run most DOS games native, with sound and everything. The only ones that don't work are ones that have serious problems running are ones that don't work well in WinME, things that require Glide because the machine doesn't have a 3DFX card and its 32MB GeForce2 GTS isn't good enough to run 3DFX emulation, and games with speed problems that can't be fixed with things like MoSlo. Most, however, do work.

I've found, though, that for most things DOSBox does a pretty good job... though yes, of course I'd rather run them native. I just don't think I need a 486 to do it, anything that can run the games is good... it might be cool to have an old machine like that sometime (I wish we still had our old P90 and P233 computers... those would be awesome to still have around! I know the 386 had big problems, but those were still working... :(), but it's not exactly a priority of mine.

Quote:You're certainly becoming a serious collector, and by serious I mean you should consider rehab. Buying so many bad games isn't good for you. Yeah there's some good ones there, as well as ones I've never heard of and that's always an experiment.

Hah... maybe. I do buy a whole lot more stuff than I play much of, for sure... there are a lot of games I've barely played, and I keep getting more which just makes the problem worse. But when I see good games (for decent prices hopefully) I can't help but sometimes get something...

And I'm not completely crazy or something. I don't usually get the same game on multiple platforms unless the version I don't have has something different about it -- that it's a better version for instance -- and the price is low... some collectors actually buy lots of copies of the same game for no reason other than that they saw it for "a decent price". I don't have more than two or three copies of any game, and all of those have good explanations (often involving game collections or lots) -- the number of times I've just bought multiple single copies of the same game for no reason is... um, maybe one or two times. And one of those was a case where the other copy was free and the other one where I was thinking of giving the second copy away sometime.

I mean, it's more the number of games than the amount of money I'm spending, really. People buying many current-gen games would spend a lot more than I have to get a lot less games, I think... I just decided a few years back to mostly get larger numbers of cheaper games, instead of smaller numbers of more expensive ones. Both are good options, but I've been doing this... and thanks to those Steam and D2D sales, I even have some more modern PC games now too, which is great. I mean, I don't love Digital Distribution, but when the prices are that ridiculously low I can't resist (I haven't bought any full-price games on digital download services, I think... well, maybe Geometry Wars Galaxies, but that was like $3 to begin with...)

Maybe it would be smarter to have a Wii or 360 or something and end up having many fewer games that cost a lot more, that way I'd actually finish things sometimes, but... oh well. I missed out on everything other than the GB, GBC, GBA, N64 and Gamecube (and DS, and '90s and beyond PC of course) during their lifespans, so why not try to catch up now? :)

... Of course though, it is completely true that I'm the kind of person who never wants to get rid of anything. It's really hard for me to get rid of just about anything I care about at all... which is why I keep getting games but virtually never sell or give them away after I've played them or whatever. After all, I'll probably want to play it again sometime...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2010

These three were yesterday. $10 for the three ($5 each, buy two get one free).

Xbox
--
Malice
Gunvalkyrie (no manual)
Arctic Thunder

Then today I sold my cousins' broken PS2 slim back to the store, which he said I could do (and keep the money from... yeah, that was nice of him), so that paid for $12 of the $20 here, meaning that I only paid $8 for these three games... (as above it's buy two get one free there)

Scud: The Industrial Assassin (Saturn) -- new and sealed
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) -- listed at $13, but he only charged me $10. I've played this game halfway through before, and it's my favorite game on the system. Awesome, awesome game...
Goblin Commander (Xbox)

Then these two were separate, at a different place.

Xbox
--
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller ($4)
Pulse Racer ($3)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2010

Xbox
--
MechAssault - $5

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2010

Genesis
--
Burning Force (cart with clear plastic rental case with photocopied B&W box front and back pasted into the front) - $2.50