Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 2nd August 2008

PS2
--
King of Fighters XI (one of my most-wanted PS2 titles since I got the system... at $13 it's the most expensive PS2 game I have bought, but I just had to get it)
Kinetica
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution ($2, new? Thanks, Best Buy!)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet (I love the Sega CD game... I definitely wanted to try this one too.)

Amazing couple of days, really... Starship Titanic, Wheel of Time, Anachronox, and now Silpheed 2, VF5 Evo, and KOFXI? Awesome stuff...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 4th August 2008

Little Nemo is awesome.

Mind you, the kid doesn't seem to have basic survival skills in that he took up an offer to travel in some odd airship to a strange land just because some "princess" offered him candy. Oh of course, if she offers you candy she can't be all bad!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2008

Hah, I thought of that... "Hey kid, if you come with me you can have some candy!" ... the classic how-to-kidnap-a-child line works? It is kind of messed up that they put it in the game... it is believable, though. I mena, that stereotype must exist for a reason...

And hey, it didn't work out too well for Nemo either did it. He then needs to struggle through a whole incredibly difficult platforming game before he gets rewarded with actually meeting the princess...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th August 2008

Awesome... :)

NES
--
StarTropics
StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge
Dr. Chaos

... $4.35. And, when I got home, I was shocked to find that BOTH StarTropics games actually still have working batteries! Amazing... I must play these, now. :)

(In fact, I'm in level 3 of StarTropics, I've been playing it today... very fun. :))

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2008

Woah... great, great day (made the fact that it was my birthday worthwhile... :))!

$39.56 spent, but well worth it for these ten games I think...

Kirby's Adventure (NES) -- One of the great NES platformers, with working battery!
TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (NES) -- TMNT II and III on NES were so great...
Raiden Trad (SNES) -- classic shmup
Double Switch (Sega CD) -- I don't like FMV games, but I just can't resist non-sports Sega CD games...
In the Hunt (PSX) -- another great shooter! Awesome art from the team that later went on to make Metal Slug...
Croc 2 (PSX)
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) -- finally... :)
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Atari Hits Volume 1 (Saturn)
Tomb Raider (Saturn)
NiGHTS into dreams... (Saturn)

... and here I was actually hoping to continue in StarTropics... hopefully I'll stick with it, it's a fantastic game. In the Hunt actually got me to find my PSX memory cards again... somehow I keep putting them down and then misplacing them in the clutter... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 21st August 2008

You actually got a bunch of good ones there. Wow...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st August 2008

Everything except for Double Switch is at least good, pretty much. And a few are great...

At another store in town they want $20 for their copy of Soul Calibur for DC, but I knew I'd find it for cheaper if I kept looking... and indeed, $4. :)

NiGHTS was by far the most expensive thing of the ten games, $9.50...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th August 2008

No games, but I did pick up a NES Advantage and a NES Zapper a couple of days ago. It's awesome to have both of them... the Advantage is of course an amazingly good arcade stick, and the Zapper... well, all I have right now is the very-quickly-boring (and hard when I try it at any distance above "right against the screen") Duck Hunt, but it's nice to have anyway.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 26th August 2008

I've done a few tests with the Zapper. Here's what will work: Older LCD screens, older CRT screens. Here's what won't work: Anything "digital" in any way shape or form, meaning newer screens of any type, especially HD. It doesn't matter if it's CRT or LCD or Plasma, the newer HDs just don't work at all. It has to do with the timing. If the signal is being "upscaled" or whatever or has to have any sort of processing, it screws up the timing by a few milliseconds, which doesn't matter to us most of the time, but is noticed by the Zapper, which depends on the TV signal being directly locked and determined by the NES. It's okay if it's LCD, so long as it's one of a very few old models that still ties the signal directly into it's input so that the timing isn't screwed up.

Unfortunatly, I don't see any TV manufacturers ever taking the time to speed up the processing to the point where this is no longer an issue...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 26th August 2008

Hmm... well, the Zapper certainly works on the TV I've tried it on, a late '90s one... there is one newer (just a few years old) CRT too though, hopefully it'll work on that one too.

I know about the 'doesn't work on LCD or plasma screen TVs' issue, but I wasn't sure exactly which ones were compatible and which weren't (whether all CRTs worked or not, that is)... it makes sense that newer ones, like CRT HDTVs, would have issues, if the issue is resolution and scaling. The gun needs that flash to happen at exactly the right timing for it to recognize it...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 27th August 2008

Resolution doesn't matter and neither does scaling. The image can be heavily distorted and it won't matter either. The colors don't even need to be right.

Timing is everything. What the zapper is looking for is a flash of white at a very precise moment. If that flash is detected, it registers a hit. If it detects black, it registers a miss. To account for multiple targets, the game is simply programmed to send two flashes at two different times (barely detectable to us), and the zapper registers a hit to each target depending on when it sees the white flash, and when it sees it depends on where you are aiming.

Even a TV made as recently as this year need not have issues with timing if it uses the older style of how it manages the image.

Older screens will display the image very directly. The input from any device, such as antenna or NES A/V cable, sends a specific signal of what every pixel color is, a "return" signal for when the screen should display the next line, and a "restart" signal for when it should return to the very first pixel. The TV responds at nearly the speed of light and there's really no processing going on as none is needed with such direct communication. There are adjustments that can be done in the screens, but it's the input device that really determines where everything is at any one time.

However, newer screens go with a different method. They can adjust the timing more freely, and need to due to certain decompression that digital images involve. A lot of it is the same, but the analog signal is generally replaced. Even when there's analog input, it gets "translated" to apply the effects in the settings menues. At the very least, it ends up going through the computer as though it needs to be decoded like a digital signal, and this creates lag. Older sets had really noticable lag for gamers. Newer ones have pretty much resolved this, as gamers honestly can't detect the minute lag that is there. However, light guns can as they expect very specific timing. Even if we're dealing with an LCD screen that has native resolution issues, the zapper can't tell (you could fool one with a bright light bulb for example), but the timing will make it fail every time.

That's the basic reason why the Zapper won't work on certain models of newer "standard" TVs (anything that's got digital signal recieving that treats all input like digital input in the sense that it has to process it), and won't work on any HDTVs (as they all have that issue). LCD screens have another issue going for them.

With LCD screens, only some old ones, and specific ones at that as I've found, will work with the Zapper. In order to work, as I've said, it needs very specific timing. This timing includes the time it takes for each line to be drawn on a standard CRT screen. CRTs need to draw one pixel at a time, up to down, line by line. LCDs CAN display an image this way, but they can also simply display each frame all at once since there's nothing keeping all the pixels from being activated at the same time (and nothing keeping them from being turned on one at a time line by line as well). Some old LCD TVs actually did do it "CRT style", and some did not. However, pretty much all modern ones don't do that, and no HD LCDs do it the old way. That's two strikes against a properly working Zapper on them.

Plasma screen, LED (as in Jumbo-Trons), and other tech all could technically support the zapper with some recoding for timing and proper line by line display, but they are all too new to really expect any of them to be compatible.

Basically, down the line you can expect no TVs to support the Zapper again without some concerted effort to make them compatible, and let's face it, that is not likely.

That said, there are newer light guns with newer methods that do work on newer screens. This is good as it's still the best method of aiming. As nice as the Wii remote might be, it's method of direct target aiming is very much lacking. That's why all games with direct aiming require an in-game cursor. No one's using plastic sight scopes on the Wii remote for a reason, it wouldn't ever be accurate.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th October 2008

Yes, some new stuff... and it's good. $22 spent...

NES
--
TMNT II: The Arcade Game
Battletoads
To the Earth (Zapper required game)

Genesis
--
Battle Squadron

And a NES "Honey Bee" converter to play Japanese games on my NES. I don't have any of course, but for $2 (a lot less than one of them would cost online!), I couldn't refuse... it's nice to have, for sure.

I got Battle Squadron (EA game) because I thought I'd heard of it and thought it was a shmup (but maybe a flightsim), and thought it was worth getting either way... and it turns out to be a shmup with 2-player simultaneous play! Awesome!

TMNT II and Battletoads speak for themselves, of course. To the Earth is ridiculously hard, but very cool and worth having anyway... I did want something other than Duck Hunt for that Zapper. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th October 2008

PS2
--
Taito Legends 2 -- aka perhaps one of the greatest shmup collections ever (and some other games too)... RayStorm, G-Darius, Darius Gaiden, and more...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th November 2008

NES
--
Contra (:))

Genesis
--
James Pond 3: Operation Starfish

And perhaps a couple of PS2 games, once I'm sure if they work or not. If they do I'll list them next week, likely.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st December 2008

PS2 (all $2 each and disc only)
--
Kingdom Hearts II
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Grand Theft Auto III
.Hack//Infection Part 1

... Why did I just spend three hours playing Kingdom Hearts II? It's not even really all that good... but somehow I couldn't stop...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 1st December 2008

If you played it for that long, you enjoyed it.

It's a great game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - lazyfatbum - 1st December 2008

Nah, I ate a can of tuna I hated. Explain that. There was other food, I had choices, I ate the whole thing, go ahead, bust out the TI on this one, DJ.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st December 2008

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention one more that I got at the same time as Contra and James Pond 3... the N64 game Top Gear Overdrive.

N64
--
Top Gear Overdrive -- Pretty good game, based on a few races. This is one I'd wanted for some time (as well as Top Gear Rally 2), and it was great to finally find a copy of the cart again... I'd seen one a few months back, but was stupid and didn't get it, so I was very happy to see this one, and didn't pass this one up. The game has fantastic graphics, particularly in high-res mode (it uses the expansion pak). In November 1998 when it came out, this must have been some of the best graphics ever in an N64 racing game... plus it's the only one of the four N64 Top Gear games with on-cart saving instead of always-annoying-and-unreliable Controller Pak only save! And it has four player mode too, with four computers in the race too... very nice (though sadly, there is no music in multiplayer, while single player has full vocal rock music tracks... not really my thing, but it's one of the very few N64 games with full vocal music, which is interesting...). The gameplay is very simple, classic-style SNES-ish Top Gear, without any of Top Gear Rally's depth, but it's quite fun for what it's trying to do. So yeah, overall, a good game. I love N64 racing games... it's without question the best racing game platform ever, in my opinion.

Quote:If you played it for that long, you enjoyed it.

It's a great game.

First, I never played the first game. I know some things about it and its story, but I haven't played it. So I don't have experience with the series. I'd get the first game if it was this cheap, but didn't want to spend too much for it without knowing if it was good... but for $2, I couldn't resist, no matter which of them it was (I wasn't sure, the disc isn't really clear that it's the second game...).

The story is interesting, but the difficulty level is near zero... and so far at least you probably spend more time watching story than doing anything. I was really tired, though, so the very low difficulty didn't matter much...

Oh, the fact that save points are like half an hour to an hour apart at times in the first few hours (seriously, the first one is like 45 minutes into the game, intro videos and cutscenes included...) is kind of annoying. Not that you're going to die (and even if you did it just restarts you from that point at this point in the game), but annoying anyway.

Quote:Nah, I ate a can of tuna I hated. Explain that. There was other food, I had choices, I ate the whole thing, go ahead, bust out the TI on this one, DJ.

Yeah, you don't have to like something to do it... it definitely helps, but sometimes, you play the game (or whatever, as you say) anyway, even if you don't like it.

... I mean, how else can you explain things like those people who write reviews on GameFAQs saying how much they hated some game they've played for dozens of hours or somesuch? It just doesn't make sense, on the face of it... though I'm not saying I disliked it that much, just that with the extremely simplistic gameplay (hit X, hit X some more, then occasionally mix it up by pressing triangle when it tells you to... rinse and repeat) and minimal difficultly level the actual gameplay isn't exactly thrilling so far. It's mostly the story, world, and ease of play that carries it so far... not the gameplay. And games should be about gameplay first, so I think "it's not even all that good" is quite fair. I'm only talking about the gameplay there.

As for the others, based on initial impressions:

GTA III: It's still just as much fun as I remember it being back in 2002, when I last played it... :)

DQVIII: HARD! Very traditional design, fewer modern conveniences than other games... games like this really, really should have save anywhere. Still, potentially worth the time, it's obviously good, if you don't mind required grind and deaths that wipe out a bunch of progress (or at least money). It has great graphics with a very nice sense of style, and good, funny writing.

.Hack Part 1: Bad graphics, mediocre ([overly] complex system, but with very simplistic combat) gameplay. Not exactly great first impressions, I was hoping for more.

Contra: Great of course, though I'm not as much of a Contra series fan as some... but still, it's one of the NES's all-time greats, for sure, and is a great game. The behind-the-character levels just seem kind of ridiculous now, really... funny stuff. :)

James Pond 3: I'll need to spend some time with this one, I've only played it for a few minutes. The Password save system is good to have, as it evidently has lots of levels... all with names that are bad puns. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - TrollSr - 4th December 2008

:psyduck:

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - lazyfatbum - 5th December 2008

I know right? But you should have seen how OB1 would bust in and call ABF a fagot and then giant sprawling posts in pages upon pages of manly bitching.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2008

PS2 - Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (aka "the last good NFS game")

N64 - Banjo-Kazooie (yeah, finally found a copy! :))

Oh yeah, and another no-batteries-required N64 rumble pak. I have two of them now. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd December 2008

Heavenly Guardian (PS2)
Gauntlet - Seven Sorrows (PS2)
Strider (Genesis)
Castlevania Chronicles (PSX)

Castlevania Chronicles, usually a fairly expensive game online ($30-50 maybe?) and in stores (I've seen one copy before, for at least $20 and maybe it was more), for $9? Yes, I think I'll get that. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th January 2009

Monday
--

Saturn
--
Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition (for $3? Absolutely!)

Tuesday (yesterday now, technically...)
--
PS2
--
Powerdrome -- the game that seems to be available in stacks everywhere. Gamestop has like 25 copies, a local store like 10, others multiple copies... Gamestop's dropped the price to $1 now, and it still seems to not be selling. As a futuristic racing game fan I of course had to have a copy eventually, and $1 finally convinced me. It's solid. Great sense of speed, some interesting gameplay mechanics... good stuff. It's not perfect -- it seems to have massive, annoying, catchup that keeps you from ever getting a real lead (so one mistake throws you back several places, for sure), for instance -- but certainly worth $1! Especially considering the price, any futuristic racing game fan with a PS2 should probably pick it up... but not before you get, and play, Wipeout Fusion, of course.

Gradius V ($10? For Gradius V, at GameStop? Really? Amazing... okay, it was disc only, but still, that's a very good deal for such an exceptionally great game. And it clearly is exceptionally great, as expected, that much was quite obvious before I even beat the first level. It's classic Gradius, but mixed with some somewhat Silpheed-esque voiced conversations with other pilots during the game, and Sega CD Silpheed/Ikaruga-style spinning camera moves... it's classic Gradius, but it's new too. Brilliant stuff. Quite hard, I've only got to the third level or so, and you only get one more credit per hour above the base three... but given that this is Gradius, the point is playing through without dying anyway, so you shouldn't be using them much. Anyway, incredibly awesome and great and I'm thrilled to own it, it's definitely one of the best games on the US PS2.

DS
--
Mazes of Fate -- yes, finally a new DS game, a year after my last... sadly my stylus tip broke off and finding new styluses for the original-model DS isn't so easy anymore, which is annoying, but the game (a remake of the buggy but good 2007 GBA game) is pretty good, for sure, and hard to find as well... I was kind of amazed that GameStop had it, and picked it up on sight. Controls aren't perfect -- it's free-roaming 3d and you have to turn with the stylus, while you can only move backward and forward and strafe and turn 180 degrees around with the dpad and R button. Oh well, a bit annoying but it works. IGN says the combat was broken (made way too easy) in comparison to the GBA version,but we'll see, it's pretty fun initially at least. :) And only $20 too, new, quite reasonable.

It's no replacement for Etrian Odyssey 2 of course, but I don't think I'll see that one in person again anytime soon, sadly.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2009

Tried the local Goodwill... they had a couple of interesting things. Some I got (these), a few I didn't (a bunch of midrange SNES games for instance, and some more old PC games). But I did get two games, and a CD case (with plastic clip holders inside, not those awful plastic sleeve things!).

Bug! (Saturn) -- four months ago, the last time I was at that Goodwill, they had a couple of other Saturn games, but not that one... now those were gone, but they had Bug!. It's too bad they didn't still have Star Fighter, I love that game, but having Bug made up for it... it's a good game and one I'm definitely happy to have.

Rotor (DOS PC [1991]]) -- Yes, complete and boxed. :) 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" disk versions both included in the box! I first thought the box said "Raptor", which is of course an exceptional game that I've owned for some time, but Rotor did look interesting -- it's basically a Solar Jetman/Thrust/Sub-Terrania style game, one of those ships-with-gravity-in-caves things. I love Sub-Terrania, so this definitely interested me... It's got horrible scrolling and PC speaker sound effects only, but oh well. I played it for a few minutes and it definitely looks fun. :)

Oh, and at another store I finally picked up the $2 copy of Blowout for GC they had. It's a very low budget 2.5d side-scrolling action/shooter... we'll see if it's any good.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th January 2009

Saturn
--
Panzer Dragoon

:)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th February 2009

http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5356

See this thread for info (Saturn and TG16 consoles and games!)

Saturn
--
Galactic Attack (the other games I already had, see above)
NiGHTS into dreams... (yes, a second copy came with the system... what to do with it, though?)

Game Boy Color
--
Xtreme Sports

TurboGrafx-16 (all complete except for baseball, which has no case, and noted games without HuCard slipcovers)
--
Bonk's Adventure
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Victory Run (no slipcover)
China Warrior (no slipcover)
Takin' it to the Hoop (no slipcover)
World Class Baseball (no case)
Battle Royale (no slipcover)

Saturn system w/ model 2 controller, 3d controller, power and av

TG16 system w/ 2 controllers, TurboTap, power and rf

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2009

SNES
--
GunForce

NES
--
Star Force
Air Fortress

Genesis
--
EA 4-Way Play multitap adaptor for EA games (and a few others) -- it was $1 and I have a few compatible games, so why not?

I liked GunForce a lot when I was younger... pretty good arcade game. Sure, it doesn't have the intensity of Contra, but it is a pretty solid Contra-style game, I would say, and it's also interesting as the first run-and-gun game made by some of the people who would go on to make Metal Slug. The iconic Metal Slug art design isn't here yet, though it would be in the arcade-only GunForce 2, but some things, like vehicles to ride on and secondary weapons with limited ammo (along with an infinite-ammo main gun), are. A lot of people consider it average, but I like it, so it's great to finally find a copy. I've been looking for it for several years now. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2009

GBA
--
Sabre Wulf (cart only, $4 at Gamestop)

PS2
--
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast ($6 at Gamestop)

Gamestop always has a huge number of very cheap used PS2 games, including a bunch I'll eventually get I'm sure... I was pretty seriously tempted by Klonoa 2 ($8), but I ended up deciding on this instead. I didn't want to spend much, and I wanted Sabre Wulf too... and Outrun 2 is a fantastic game, I pretty much consider it a must-own so its great to have it. I've played it in the arcade, and some of the older Outrun games of course, great stuff... the only real negative is the lack of a splitscreen mode (multiplayer is LAN/online only). Other than that, awesome. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2009

Yeah, finally! This is stuff I got off EBay... just got it. :)

TurboGrafx-16
--
R-Type -- The classic, and still one of the best shmups ever! TG16 games are not cheap, but this one was worth it for sure even though it cost me $15... it's so, so good. I played it, got through the first three levels using just three credits (I'd played those before of course, in the GBC version that I have)... and then proceeded to use all 17 credits I had left on level 4, which was the first new one (GBC R-Type DX's R-Type 1 part has only 6 of the original 8 levels; this version has all 8). Awesome stuff... so hard. I love R-Type anyway, though. Exceptional game, and series. :)

Saturn
--
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Daytona USA -- All three the pack-in versions, with manuals and cardboard sleeves but not the "3 in 1" cardboard box. I really, really wanted Daytona, so now I have it, and with those two too... I'm sure I'll play them some. Can't save VF2 yet though, it needs 180 blocks and I only have 35 left empty. Yeah, I really need a memory cart... Daytona and Virtua Cop's files fit, though, at least. They're small (~30 blocks and 10 blocks respectively).

I also got a controller, also from eBay.

Saturn
--
Mission Stick (Mission Flight Stick) -- the Saturn's official flightstick-style joystick. I have Panzer Dragoon and MechWarrior 2, of course, both of which were designed for the Mission Stick, so I very much wanted one... and so I bid on one on eBay. I bid only $1 (or $0.10, exactly, with a maximum of $1), with 4 or 5 hours left in the auction, so I didn't exactly expect to win... but I did! And I'm pretty happy I did, because I really wanted one of these for some reason. It's fantastic for MechWarrior and Panzer Dragoon, and it works with the Arcade Racer games too (Daytona and Cyber Speedway). I'm going to test it with NiGHTS, but I haven't done that yet. I can say, though, that it works with Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter 2, for whatever reason. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2009

NES
--
Operation Wolf (a third Zapper game...)
North and South

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th March 2009

NES
--
Gauntlet

SNES
--
Thunder Spirits

N64
--
Mickey's Speedway USA

Gauntlet... well, of course I had to get Gauntlet. The NES version of the arcade classic I've loved for so long? Yeah, must-own. Mickey's Speedway USA... um, I don't know, it was cheap and it's from Rare when they were good, so despite the mediocre reviews, I couldn't resist. For $10 for all three, it doesn't matter much how good it is overall... and I did have to own it sometime. Thunder Spirits is great to have, though. Sure, fans generally seem to prefer the original (Thunder Force III for Genesis, which this is a thirdhand version of (Thunder Force AC for arcades was the second version)), but I don't have that one and haven't seen any copies of it, though I do have Thunder Force II and IV (aka Lightening Force), so I'm pretty happy with this. And it's not exactly the same as TFIII, so either way, it'd definitely be worth having. I like shmups a lot, and the 16-bit consoles are exceptionally good at the genre, so when I saw they had it I had to get it. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th March 2009

NES Gauntlet is completely, totally awesome. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th May 2009

Saw a bunch of awesome stuff today, but could only get a few things... so I got some awesome ones. :)

(These were $4 each.)

NES
--
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: Ancient Ship of Doom
The Guardian Legend
Arkista's Ring

They had some other good ones too, and I seriously considered also getting Cobra Triangle, but I didn't, for now at least. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and Guardian Legend are great, great games, though... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th May 2009

Genesis
--
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (complete with case and manual, $3) -- This is one I've been looking for ever since I got my Genesis, my cousins have it and it's a fantastic game that's easily my favorite Shinobi game on the system no question. It's really, really awesome to have found it... such a fun game. :)

Oh, I was given a free broken copy of Syd of Valis (Genesis) too. Somebody had returned it as broken and he offered it to me, so why not? And indeed, it doesn't work; the Sega logo appears, then just a black screen. I'd take it apart and clean inside or something if I had a gamebit, but I don't... whenever I get one though, I'll try it. Just like that broken copy of Sonic 3 I have... kind of odd. I now have four Genesis games that don't work (all that came nonfunctional), and no broken NES or SNES or N64 ones. Wonder why... I do have one broken GBC game, though.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2009

Genesis
--
Twin Cobra

NES
--
R.C. Pro-Am

N64
--
Scooby-Doo: Classic Creep Capers

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2009

A couple of days ago:

Game Boy
--
Ninja Gaiden Shadow (cart only)
Mercenary Force (cart only)

NES
--
Maxi 15 (cart only, peeling end label)

PC
--
American McGee's Alice
Clive Barker's Undying (both combined in the small fold-out 2-pack edition, complete (that is, with box and jewelcases).)

... All for only $12. Yeah, fantastic price... Maxi 15 alone sells for well over that on Ebay, much less the rest of it... (and the two PC games counted as one, because they come packed together. ;)) pretty cool. I've been playing Ninja Gaiden Shadow. It's pretty good, plays just like Shadow of the Ninja as expected. I've gotten to the final boss (there are only five levels, of moderate difficulty), but the final boss's second form is quite challenging, so I haven't gotten past that yet. I'll see if I can... :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th June 2009

Dreamcast
--
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (complete, $1)

Eh, not exactly the kind of racing game that really interests me (it's just a 'tuner' game where you drive around at night racing one opponent at a time on mostly straight or slightly curved highways, dodging some traffic), but for that price, who could refuse... the graphics are good for the system, but yeah, I do find the gameplay somewhat boring. It's also got no multiplayer, for absolutely no apparent reason; even the first Tokyo Xtreme Racer on DC had a 2p splitscreen mode! So yeah, nothing amazing, but why not.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th June 2009

Genesis
--
Alien Storm (complete, $4.50)

... Decent game. Nothing amazing, but decent. I've gotten to the sixth level already, I believe, out of eight; only the three credit limit makes it harder. Still, fun enough to be worth getting for sure. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2009

On the one hand, I got an amazing deal on a pretty good game...

But on the other hand, the battery is completely dead, so turn it off and a minute later your file is gone. What do I have to do, leave my SNES on for two weeks again? :(

SNES
--
Kirby's Dream Land 3 ($2, cart only)

... For that price I really can't complain, given that on EBay it goes for $20-$25 in general, but it is really too bad. IT does make me wonder, though... this one's from 1997, the last first-party release in the US on the system. I have many older games with working batteries, including every one of my battery-backed Genesis games. Why is this one dead? Why do some games last like 20 or 25 years with one battery, while other batteries are dead five or ten years later? It's pretty strange, really.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2009

Game Boy
--
Battle Arena Toshinden
Samurai Shodown
Balloon Kid

Game Boy Color
--
Rayman
Rayman 2

Game Boy Advance
--
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Japanese version)

Nintendo 64
--
Roadsters

All games cart only. $13 total (the Kirby game was a lot cheaper than it usually would be because it's the import version and the guy at the gamestore didn't think it'd be worth as much...). They had a whole box of GB/GBC/GBA games, nothing really amazing (no GB Mega Man, Shantae, stuff like that) but some good stuff, of which I got a few... might get a few more another time, such as Adventure Island II (GB), Montezuma's Return (GB/C), Perfect Dark (GBC), and Duck Tales II (GB), among others.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd July 2009

... I don't know why, for some reason I couldn't resist. It was pretty cheap? Oh well... it is kind of cool to have I guess.

Majesco-model Game Gear (in quite good shape, with the manual)
Pac-Man (Majesco re-release version, complete in box, though the box has a tear on the back)
Sonic Spinball (cart only)

($14 for these things)

Then I got...
--
another Genesis 2/32X/GG power supply to use with it (because without one there's no point, given the awful battery life)
Winter Olympics Lillehammer '94 (cart only)
Super Monaco GP (cart only)

($5 for those three things)

There are perhaps a few more games available locally, but the only other stuff I saw as more sports stuff. I don't really want Madden, NHL, or Clutch Hitter, I think... I'll see if I can find anything interesting. :)

... Of the four games I have so far though, Pac-Man is great of course, a good port. Sonic Spinball seems surprisingly decent, maybe even more fun than the Genesis one (which I definitely found questionable and way too hard)... I'll have to play it more. Winter Olympics is okay, probably above average for US Gold... very hard though, I played through it once and finished in last in all of the 10 events. :) Skiing controls are character-relevant, not camera-relevant, so they're a bit confusing. As for Super Monaco GP, it's okay, but these more 'simmish' 8/16-bit style behind-the-car racing games aren't exactly one of my favorite things. You have to brake to get around the turns... bah. :p

.. Oh, and for a dollar I got a GBA light attachment thing. My Worm Light broke some time back, it's nice to have something to replace it...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th July 2009

Oh, I somehow forgot one. Not sure how I did, it's a great NES classic...

NES
--
Guerrilla War

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th July 2009

PS2
--
The King of Fighters 2002 & 2003 -- for $3, discs and manual only? Um, yes, considering how awesome they are and how the game's like $30 online!

Awesome, awesome find, I love these games so much...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2009

Game Gear
--
Crystal Warriors -- As soon as I got the system I knew I'd have to get this... saw one fairly cheap online so I bought it. It's a good strategy-RPG from Sega that actually got a Western release, quite rare for 1992!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd August 2009

Okay, stuff I've gotten in the past few weeks...

Game Boy (all cart only)
--
Adventure Island II (port/remake of Adventure Island III for the NES)
Battle Arena Toshinden (second copy for link play, it was just a few bucks...)
DuckTales 2 (port of the NES game of the same name)

Game Gear
--
Star Wars (cart only)

Game Boy Advance
--
Karnaaj Rally -- Some of the worst art design ever, but the actual game is a good top-down racing game in the Death Rally vein... (cart only)

Playstation
--
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 -- yeah, this isn't very good. The GB game is a lot better. :)
Driver (disc only) -- I have it for PC of course, but for $2 I couldn't resist... great game, but still brutally hard! Still, I loved this game back when I first got it..
College Slam (complete longbox version) -- College NBA Jam, essentially. For $2 I said 'why not?'. Haven't played it much yet.

Dreamcast
--
Frogger 2 - Swampy's Revenge (complete) - seems okay, if unspectacular.
Hydro Thunder (complete) - one of my all-time favorite racing games... the long load times hurt this version, though.

Oh, I also got another PSX memory card because the four I have are all full. I also got another 6-button Genesis controller, because I'd been looking for one for a long time and finally found one, and for really cheap too!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 3rd August 2009

Odd, I can't find any 3 button Genesis controllers around here. I've got 3 6 button controllers, two of the Genesis 3 model type and one of the original type.

I'd really like to find a Power Glove. I'd wear it playing my Wii.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2009

I don't know if I want a 3-button controller, I have two official 6-button controllers, a 6-button turbo arcade stick, and a junky third party 6-button controller. There'd be no reason to buy a 3-button one aside from maybe a bit of nostalgia value for the original controller...

That 6-button controller I just got was $3, which is awesome. They actually also got in two 3-button controllers at the same time, which are still both there and would be the same price. As I just said though, getting one isn't too high on my priority list... maybe someday.

Oh, and agreed about a Power Glove. That would be awesome. A U-Force would be interesting too...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th August 2009

A fairly new comics and figures and stuff store now carries older videogame stuff. Prices are average to high ($75 for a complete with box Atari 7800? I know that the things are rare around here, that is the first one I have seen this decade, but still, that price is too high, even with the box...), but they had some very interesting stuff... could only spend a bit of money, and this is what I got. Cost $20 total.

N64
--
Doom 64 (cart only) (seems good)

Game Gear
--
Sonic the Hedgehog (cart only) (finally... awesome game! I'd been wanting this badly... awesome to find one)

NES
--
Iron Tank (cart with box and slipcover but no manual) (good SNK shooting fun... with box! They had a whole stack of NES games with boxes... :))

Genesis
--
Blades of Vengeance (cart and box, no manual) -- One of EA's best Geneiss games, I think. It's a side-scrolling fantasy action-platform game, with a 2-player simultaneous mode, and it's great stuff. Quite hard, and it has no saving or continues, but pretty good... I've been hoping I'd see a copy of this game for a while, so I couldn't miss a chance at getting it.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2009

U-Force, I remember those! Well, I remember the commercial. I don't know anyone that actually had one. Supposedly it had some infrared sensors that detected where you move your hands around it, or it's one of those magnetic field things where it just detects anything interrupting it to determine position. I dunno...

Personally I doubt I'd ever want to get a 3 button controller either, I'm just noting they aren't really common around here.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 15th August 2009

I mostly know it from the AGVN video and years of hearing that it was awful, really. Which all makes me want to try it for myself. :)

As for 3-button controllers being rare, that is definitely odd... they're quite common around here, as you'd expect with it being the main controller for years for a very popular system.

Edit: Several days later: Grandia (Saturn) (Japanese version) (complete)