Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th October 2011

Wii
--
Octomania - $3, complete - Japanese puzzle game. Rotate the octopi and match their colors on these grills in order to eliminate them. Seems decent, and it was cheap enough... I'd been interested in this one, but at other stores I'd seen it it was like $13, not $3. :)

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution - $7, complete. The first of the three US CoN games for the Wii. These are pretty good games. Somewhat simple, but fun. This one has the gameplay of the first Japanese Wii Naruto game, but the story and character selection mostly comes from the third (JP-only) Gamecube one, because that's where the US was in the story at the time.

Gamecube
--
Ty the Tazmanian Tiger - $3, complete - It's a mascot 3d platformer. I've heard this one was okay, and it was pretty cheap, so I decided to pick it up.

DS
--
Glory Days 2 - $3, cart in generic case - The first one was called Super Army War (for GBA) in the US, but this returned to the original title. It's basically Choplifter crossed with Wings.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2011

GB - These were $1 each and cart only.
--
Toy Story - I had this as a kid, and hated it so much I actually sold it. The ... play .. control ... is ... so ... slow ... and ... bad ... (great graphics though!)
Monster Truck Wars - average topdown racing game, not too bad. Where's Bigfoot though? I think that on the GB, topdown works better than behind-the-car, for racing games.
Super Chase HQ - A GB version of one of the Chase HQ games. This game is simple, as with all of the games in the series, but okay. I got to level 7 in my first try, so unless it's quite long, this game is short... it does get harder later on, though, because of the tighter time limits and because you start having to use special items to hurt the bosses. Graphics... what do you expect from a GB behind-the-car racing game? They're pretty plain, but work.
Bart Simpson: Escape from Camp Deadly - As with most of the 8/16-bit Bart games from Acclaim, this game is really hard.

GBC - as with GB, $1 and cart only.
--
Armorines - This is a simple but fun topdown action game. You run around, shooting aliens and trying to avoid getting hit by them. Most of them just damage you by running into you, though some can shoot. You have a laser gun thing with infinite ammo as your weapon, and one button fires in the direction you're moving (eight directions), while the other locks you in strafing fire. You can only strafe up/down or left/right though, not diagonals. There are occasional health or weapon powerups to collect, but you don't really have an inventory or anything -- this is a pretty straightforward game. It is, of course, a handheld version of the N64 FPS game of the same name. I was kind of expecting a sidescroller, because all of the GB/GBC Turok games were sidescrollers, but topdown works well for this game, and even though it's simple, it's fun enough. It is annoying that enemies often respawn when you go to another room, but I think it was similar on the N64... (no multiplayer here, though, unlike that version. The N64 game even has co-op.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 31st October 2011

SNES
--
Operation Logic Bomb - cart only, $8. Topdown action game from Jaleco. Good game. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 3rd November 2011

Wii
--
Monster Hunter 3 Tri - $15, complete

PS2
--
Wild Arms 3 - $5, complete
Shining Tears - $6, disc in generic case (this game costs like $25 and up on ebay...)
Xenosaga Ep. II - $7, complete (I know, but I'd like to have the trilogy)

Genesis
--
Target Earth - $5, complete - pretty cool find! This is a fun, but hard, sidescrolling shooter. Good stuff.

NES
--
Mickey Mousecapade - $5, cart only

Game Boy
--
Quarth - $3, cart only. Got a second copy of this for multiplayer (it has link support).

Game Boy Color
--
Magical Drop - $3, cart only. Awesome fine, this is one of my favorite finds of the day... Magical Drop is a great puzzle game series, one of the best.

DS
--
Exit DS - $3, card only. 2d, sidescrolling platformer with touch controls.

PC
--
Fury3 - jewelcase only, $1. This is the second game in the "trilogy" that also includes Hellbender, etc. I have the other two, but not this one.
Fallout 3 - $3, complete - for that price, meh, why not.
Fallout 3 Game Addon Pack (The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage) - $3
Arcade America - mid '90s Win 3.1 2d platformer released on CD. We'll see.

PSX
--
Moto Racer: World Tour - $2, disc in a Moto Racer 1 for PSX case (w/Moto Racer 1 manual too). This is the third Moto Racer game, and is the only one PSX exclusive; the first two were PC games first, and I own them for the PC (and wouldn't bother with the inferior PSX releases of those).

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th November 2011

Playstation
--
Tales of Destiny - $9, complete. Yes, that is indeed a very good price for this game. :) (They had a couple more RPGs for the same price too, but I just couldn't quite convince myself to get Legend of Legaia or Guardian's Crusade, and already had the others.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th November 2011

Xbox - these next four were $10 for the four.
--
Thief: Deadly Shadows - complete
The Chronicles of Riddick - complete
Toxic Grind - complete

Game Boy / GB Color Dual Mode
--
Ghosts n Goblins - cart only

Game Boy
--
Batman - $2, cart only

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2011

N64
--
Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut - $5. cart only. This game was a rental only title, and is the second of the N64 Clayfighter games; it's more an enhanced remake than a sequel to Clayfighter 63 1/3. but it does have several new characters and stuff. It's also uncommon because of its rental only status, and looking it up now online, goes for $35-60, even cart only... impressive deal there, they didn't know what they had! :)

SNES
--
Kirby Super Star - $15, cart only. I already have the DS version, but just couldn't resist this. Looking up prices online the game sells for $15-30 loose, so I got a decent price but not incredible. I'm certainly glad to have it though. Hopefully the battery's good.

Playstation - For a dollar I got a jewelcase with a special memory card holder thing inside, instead of for CDs, with four spots inside, three with cards in them. Yes, this means I got three memory cards for $1. Two of them are Interact, one Mad Catz (all 1x cards, so hopefully they're reliable; it's third party compressed cards that are the ones that fail all the time). I didn't really need more PS1 cards at the moment, but they don't hold that much each, so particularly for that price it was a must buy.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2011

GB / GB Color (dual mode)
--
Asteroids - $2, cart only. This is a new game, not just an arcade port.

Playstation
--
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - complete, $9 - the first 2.5d SF game.
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus - complete, $9 - the second of this trilogy (the third is for PS2, I don't have it). I'm not sure if I should have gotten these or not -- 5th gen 2.5d fighting games are very hit and miss and are more often bad than good -- but... I did. Hopefully they'll be fun? Looks like the first game often sells for cheap, but the second is worth more than I paid.

Dreamcast
--
Mortal Kombat Gold - complete, $9. The best version of MK4, the mediocre first effort at a 2.5d MK game. Decent price for the game.
Soul Fighter - $5, compete. Terrible and single player only beat 'em up, but my sanity apparently gave in and I bought it anyway.

Xbox
--
The Bard's Tale - $7, complete. I'd been wanting to play this one -- it's a topdown hack and slash action-RPG by InXile, Brian Fargo's post-Interplay company. I like topdown, Gauntlet/Dark Alliance-ish action-RPGs. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd November 2011

So um, I got some stuff today that maybe i shouldn't have, but did anyway. I got a PSP. It's a black PSP 3001-model to be precise, and it came with the charger and a 4GB memory card for $70, which is well under the ebay price, or the price in most stores for that matter -- and that's part of why I got it, I wouldn't have paid the $90 or $100 or whatever these things still cost, no way. I wonder if system prices will crash after the Vita releases... oh well, this was already under today's price.

What do I think about the system? Well, I have held PSPs a few times before of course, and the top things I noticed were that the screen is huge, the graphics are nice, and that (of course) the controls are AWFUL. Seriously, that analog nub things has to be one of the worst things ever... the rest of the buttons are tolerably below average (as usual for Sony controllers), but the analog nub is both quite uncomfortable and horribly positioned, so it's hard to actually hold that thing at all comfortably. Ick. I know there isn't much space on these small handhelds, but still... there has to be something better than that... Oh, and two buttons for volume, instead of a slider? Bad decision. Having a simple slider would be better, and you wouldn't need that separate Mute button either. I also keep looking for Start and Select above the face buttons, instead of down under the screen... I guess the original DS sort of conditioned me for that, for newer handhelds (though I know Nintendo hasn't stuck with that layout themselves, the 3DS has below-the-screen Start and Select buttons if I remember right. But I don't have those, just the original DS.). That big screen on the PSP is nice, and so are the graphics, but the controls... argh.

On that note, after playing PSP, I played some The Last Blade on NGPC. The radical ifference in button/stick quality could not possibly be much more pronounced. I know, that's somewhat unfair because the NGPC's digital clicky stick is probably the best digital control thing ever on a handheld, but still, it's true... and the NGPC's buttons are far better too, of course.

As for games, I got four. All were complete
--
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure - $13. This Falcom action-RPG is one I'd really wanted ever since I first heard about it, so I was pretty happy the store had a copy... it's cheaper at Gamestop, but I can't get to a Gamestop anytime soon and not many near here have copies, so I'm fine with that price. And the game is indeed quite good, with a light, fun atmosphere, decently good graphics, great music, and fun action-RPG gameplay. Good stuff. You play as this young girl who's on an adventure to save the monster kingdom from phantoms, pretty much, with your drill weapon (of course; Japan loves drills...).

Gripshift - $6. This racing game is pretty much a Trackmania knockoff, essentially -- you try to get through short, but tricky, sections of floating road before time runs out. Because all the roads are floating in the sky it reminds me a bit of stuff like the Rollcage Stage II challenge stages or even Monkey Ball, too, as well as Trackmania; all are somewhat similar though. I dislike the rock soundtrack, and the controls take some getting used to (I hate the PSP controls already! SO BAD!), but it's good, I think. I like games like this.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles - $13. Had to get this one of course. I got between a third and half way through the 3d remake. It's pretty much exactly the same as the original, except with more story scenes and different art. That is, it's great.

Every Extend Extra - $4. This is a somewhat arcade-style shooting-ish single-screen game where instead of shooting enemies, you blow them up with bombs, and try to create bomb chains, because killed enemies explode too. Seems pretty good, getting good at it definitely would take some work and the graphics and music are great.

DS
--
Pokemon Black - $10, card only. This I got a few days ago. I'd only ever played a Pokemon game before for like half an hour, and that was over ten years ago, so I said eh, why not... and I'd heard they'd aimed the audience slightly older with this one (the characters are mid-teens for instance, instead of 10 or 12 like before). It's kind of fun, until you figure out that it's basically all grind. Not a complete waste of money, but yeah, not something I'll be finishing, probably.

(As for "collecting them all", whether it be Pokemon or Diablo II, I've just never cared about that kind of thing.)

On a completely different note, I tried Moto Racer World Tour for PS1. The graphics are alright, but it's sim-style, like Moto Racer 3, which means it's a gigantic disappointment. I'll stick with the first two Moto Racer games. It's really odd that after making two incredibly great games, Delphine completely ruined the series by putting in realistic racing tracks, sim-style bike customization, etc. That stuff is NOT what I want from a Moto Racer game, yet both this game (a PS1 exclusive) and the final one, MR3 for the PC, do exactly that. It's pretty sad, considering that Moto Racer 2 (and 1) were some of my favorite PC racing games of the '90s, right up there with the greats like Pod and the NFS games. (Better than NFS probably, in fact.) And then, after those two brilliant classics... nothing except for two lame sims and then the death of the franchise. It's so sad.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 25th November 2011

It was Black Friday and several of the game stores around here (Gamestop, a local place, etc) had sales, and I recently got a new console too that I wanted to get more games for, so... yeah, I ended up getting a lot of games.

This stuff was buy-2-get-1-free.
--
DS
--
Megaman ZX - would be $13, free (card only) - Hard platformer. Notable for being one of the only Megaman games with a female player character option; this game's sequel is the only other Megaman game where you can choose either gender from the start, and the only other Megaman platformers I know of with any female player character(s) in them at all is Roll in Mega Man Powered Up. That's it, I think. Well, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, of course, but that's not a platformer. The game doesn't make much use of the DS, though... graphics look mostly SNES-level, and it doesn't do much of anything with the touchscreen. Oh well, at least the gameplay is good!

Wii
--
Battalion Wars 2 - $8 (disc in generic case) - Been meaning to get this for some time.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - $15 (complete) - Not sure if I'll like this, but $10 was the effective price, and it seemed just low enough to be worth considering.

PSP
--
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - $7 (disc in generic case)
Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins - would be $7, free (disc in case, no manual) - Another really hard platformer.
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? - $15 (complete) - Yet another really hard platformer.

These games were full price. (still PSP)

R-Type Command - $10, complete. R-Type strategy game, I think I've heard it's mostly good.
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade - $4, complete. Hack-and-slash Action-RPG.

The games below were all 25% off of the prices I'm about to list. I paid about $52 total for all of them, ~28 of that for the PSP ones. (still PSP)

Blokus: Portable Steambot Championship - $5, complete
Wipeout Pure - $10, complete

The rest of these games were disc only and untested (though if they don't work I can bring them back), and were, yes, $3 only each, before the 25% discount.

Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Warriors of the Lost Empire
Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch - traditional JRPG.
Daxter
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max - This is still the only version of an Alpha game with Ingrid playable (she's only also in Capcom Fighting Evolution), this is the most complete version of Alpha. Too bad it's only on a handheld where multiplayer is not as easy to do.
Star Wars: Lethal Alliance - third person action shooter for DS and PSP.

Genesis
--
Alesia Dragoon - $10, cart in case (no manual) - This is a fantastic, fantastic game, and I'm absolutely thrilled to own it. I'd been looking for it for years! It's probably one of the best sidescrolling shooting/action/platformer games on the system really...
Jewel Master - $5, cart in case (no manual, but there was a ToeJam & Earl poster) - Interesting but early sidescrolling platform/action game.

SNES
--
Gods - complete, $3 - It has nice graphics, but the game's kind of confusing and frustrating. Hopefully though with the manual ity will be a bit more intelligible... also, the price sure was right!

N64
--
Off-Road Challenge - $10, cart only - One of the last Midway N64 racing games I don't own, this is the Off-Road series game made in the Cruis'n engine.

Dreamcast - all were $3 each, and then there was that 25% discount on top of that too. Yeah, he was being nice... :)
--
Bust-A-Move 4 (complete) - two player only, sadly, but otherwise great.
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (complete) - it's topdown maze stuff, not a platformer like Pac-Man World.
Vanishing Point (case and disc, no manual) - Racing game also on PS1.
Power Stone (complete) - the second game is better, and pricier, but it is cool to find this.
Demolition Racer: No Exit (complete) - Car combat game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th November 2011

... So the PSP Ridge Racer 2 wasn't actually released in the US, so I must have a European import copy... cool. It's basically identical to the first game on PSP (same presentation, menus, music, intro movie...), but with twice as many tracks and more cars.

Also, SF Alpha 3 Max, annoyingly, requires you to have less than 1GB free on your memory card for it to be able to create its save file. What a pain... it took some time to download enough demos to reduce the 2.8GB of free space on the card down under 1GB. It was worth it though, SFA3Max is amazing!

Anyway, new stuff. I got a few.

PC - Digital Download (steam's ongoing sale, stuff from the past few days)
--
Mass Effect 2 - $5 ... I'll get around to actually playing the rest of the first ME sometime and make this worthwhile, right? :lol
Fallout: New Vegas - $5 - I may not like what Bethesda did to the series, but maybe an Obsidian story will make it slightly more tolerable? I mean, if I actually get around to playing this... I have quite a lot of PC DD games that I bought in sales and have barely played since, now...

These first three were buy 2 get 1 free.
Gamecube
--
Eggmania: Eggstreme Madness - free, would have been $4, complete. Not that well known puzzle game.
Spirits & Spells - $6, complete. This is a good but little-known railed-path 3d platformer (that is, it's sort of in the Crash school, except you go sideways as well as into the screen). It's actually both challenging and fun, don't judge it by its cover! (I almost did, but I was hoping it'd be good anyway... well, no "anyway" needed!) This game was only released on GC (well, there was a GBA version too, but it's different of course) in the US; there was also a European PS2 version. The game was called Castleween in Europe. But yeah, it looks like a game for little kids based on the box, but it's actually a tough, hardcore oldschool platformer -- one hit kills you, deaths send you back to the last checkpoint, lives are limited, and enemies and obstacles abound. While it does save once you beat a level, levels are long. So yeah, it's a solid challenge. Look this one up! It's fun. Don't expect anything amazing or at all innovative, but hey, it's a fun and challenging platformer, which is pretty good too.

PSP
--
Space Invaders Extreme - $5, complete. From what I've seen this looks pretty good.

GB
--
Castlevania: The Adventure - $2, cart only. The game is mediocre at best (that's probably being generous, really), but wow that soundtrack is amazing...
Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands! - $2, cart only (torn label) - Okay platformer.

GB/GBC Dual Mode
--
Prince of Persia - $2, cart only. It's a colorized re-release of the GB version. Eh... why not, I don't actually own any versions of this classic, oddly enough...

Genesis
--
Lotus Turbo Challenge - $4, cart only. Gremlin Graphics' first 16-bit console racer. I love all of their other ones (Lotus II, the Top Gear trilogy on SNES), so this one was a must-get too, even if the sequels improved on it.

Xbox
--
RallySport Challenge 2 - $4, complete.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 27th November 2011

Some final stuff from Gamestop's buy 2 get 1 free period. (That is, I won't be buying anywhere near this much stuff for some time now.)

PSP
--
Generation of Chaos - free, would be $6. Disc and case, no manual. Idea Factory strategy/RPG... my hopes aren't too high, but eh, it could be good?
Gradius Collection - $7, complete. Awesome find, I was really hoping to find a copy of this, but wasn't sure it would happen so soon... :)
Rush - free, would be $5, complete. The PSP port of the horrible disaster LA Rush, this is a game I probably should never own... it has nice cover art, but that's the only positive pretty much. Why did I get it anyway? Well, it says "Rush" on the cover, and I had to get LA Rush sometime... also, this PSP version did add stunt and battle modes back into the game (the PS2/Xbox versions don't have them). They're awful junk compared to the past games' stunt and battle modes of course, but still, it's something.
Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast - $5, disc in generic case. Yeah, I have this for PS2 and PC already. It's one of the best racing games around, so I got this version too. Plus, the PS2 version has some stuff you can only unlock by linking it to a PSP with this version, so I was probably going to get it for that, at least, anyway. :)

PS2
--
Chaos Wars - disc in generic case, $9. Japanese strategy game with infamously, INFAMOUSLY terrible English voice acting. :) Good price for this it seems.
Mana-Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis - $13, disc in generic case. Gust RPG. Maybe a bit overpriced, but it's decent once you average it out with the prices of the others in the buy-2-get-1 deal.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - $20, complete. This game does sell for that much (or a little less), but once averaged out (three for $32) the price becomes pretty good. This is the third of the games in this franchise (following Koudelka and Shadow Hearts); I have, and like, both of the first two, so I definitely wanted this, but that price had been holding me back, until this deal.

Wii
--
Mushroom Men: Spore Wars - free, would be $13, complete. It's a 3d platformer with a unique theme. If I remember right it got solid reviews, and I'd been interested in this one since it came out pretty much (there's a DS version too).

DS
--
The Legend of Kage 2 - $5, card only. I'm not a big fan of the NES original, but hopefully this sequel adds enough to be good anyway. I do remember hearing good things about it.

Game Boy
--
Tetris Blast - $2, cart only. This SGB-enhanced title is basically a Tetris spinoff with an interestingly changed game mechanic. Called Bombliss in Japan, this was the only version of Bombliss released in the US unfortunately. It's pretty good, too bad the SNES versions weren't. The first version of Bombliss was on SNES actually, packed in with Tetris 2 (no relation to the game called Tetris 2 in the US; that is "Tetris Flash" in Japan), but this later handheld release (and also Super Bombliss for the SNES, also Japan-only) are stand-alone. It's Tetris, except there are two types of blocks, normal or bomb. When you make a line, the line doesn't get destroyed, only the bombs in that line do. Each also destroys some blocks to their left and right (but not above or below unless you make larger bombs). Four bombs put into a square form a giant bomb, which makes a huge explosion that takes out a good part of the screen.

The game has three modes, first a Puzzle mode (with password save) where you have to clear each stage of all blocks. Each stage starts with a preset set of stuff on the screen, and you need to clear it. The other two modes are an endless mode called Tutorial (oddly enough, but it's your standard Endless mode), and a versus CPU mode called Fight, where you have to defeat a computer adversary who is walking around on your lower screen, messing with stuff and trying to get you to fail. You need to catch the enemy in bomb blasts enough to defeat them. There's also a hidden harder Fight 2 mode. This is a pretty good game, makes me want a console version of Bombliss too, Oh, Tetris Blast has some nice Super Game Boy support, too -- no multiplayer of course (none of the GB puzzle games have that, on SNES), but it does have multiple borders (depending on mode) and good auto-selected color palettes.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 29th November 2011

A new store opened downtown, with only used games, but also only current-gen stuff (and PS2). Huh. Got a couple of things.

PSP
--
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - $6, disc only (this isn't from that store, the others are)
Lemmings - complete, $8 - Port of the original game with redone visuals, a level editor, online map downloads, and 36 new levels added. It's kind of lame that at least Oh No! More Lemmings was apparently not included though... oh well. The original game's a real classic, I remember playing it in DOS back in the early '90s. Never finished it though...

DS
--
Bust-A-Move DS - $4, complete

Wii
--
Opoona - $3, complete - yeah, that was cheap... this is a pretty cute-style RPG. Could be fun, and it got decent reviews.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th November 2011

From the same place as yesterday, I got the other things I was interested in.

PSP
---
Phantasy Star Portable - $10, complete. I haven't played PSU, which this is a sequel to, but oh well. I played the PSP PSP 1 and 2 demos some, seem fun enough and I like the PSO franchise.

Wii
--
Ghost Squad - $5, complete - arcade lightgun shooter port
Castlevania Judgment - $8, complete. Castlevania 3d fighting game which got bad reviews and has some Maria character destruction, not to mention lots of eye-scarring artwork. I've wanted to get it anyway ever since I got a Wii, though, despite knowing all that... I hope I like the gameplay more than the art, but we'll see.

PS2
--
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - $1.50, disc in case (no manual) - Blah game at best (Castlevania for N64 is so, so much better than the PS2 dreck...), but this is probably the best price I'll see it for...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st December 2011

So the Castlevania fighting game isn't awful, but it's a pretty simple button masher. There are no complex special moves, just one or two button combinations to do the various moves. It's kind of brainlessly entertaining I guess, but can't compete with the better 3d fighting games. Oh, and this is one of the rare Wii games that defaults to Gamecube controller control if the controller is plugged in; usually you have to hold down Start on the GC pad to use it in games, but with this one, it's enabled by default. I've had that happen in one other game, took me a while to figure out why the controls (with wiimote) weren't working... :p

NES
--
The Empire Strikes Back - $5, cart in sleeve - another super hard NES platformer!

PSP
--
Capcom Puzzle World - $7, complete - Buster Bros. Collection, Block Block (arkanoid-like game), and Puzzle Fighter (modified port of the previously Japan-only Dreamcast version), combined onto a disk. Yeah, that was a must buy once I saw they had it.
PoPoLoCrois - $3, cart in generic case - port collection of some previously Japan-only PS1 RPGs.

PS1
--
Time Crisis - complete, $2. Finally I have a PS1 lightgun game that supports the gun.

PC
--
Lost Eden - $1, complete. This is a '90s, large-box PC adventure game. It has talking dinosaurs in it as characters. Yeah. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th December 2011

Wii
--
FlingSmash - $4, dvd case only (ie, game, manual, and case, but not the wiimote+ or cardboard outer box). It was half off, and I do have an interest in playing this, and I would like something more that actually uses the wiimote+, so why not...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th December 2011

NES
--
Super Spy Hunter - $5, cart only - more shmuplike than the first Spy Hunter, this Sunsoft game is pretty good. Great music and graphics too. It's unfairly hard, but otherwise is pretty good.
Kiwi Kraze - $5, cart in slipcover - this is actually The New Zealand Story's US NES release. Very good game!

Master System
--
Rampage - $7, complete - it's an arcade classic, and the bright red box is one of the nicest SMS boxes around... extremely repetitive game as always though. Every city looks pretty much the same, so there's little sense of progression. Just destroy the same buildings dozens of times over. Even as a kid I remember eventually getting bored with Rampage. Still, it's great fun for a little while, so sure, I think it was worth getting.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th December 2011

NES Four Score (multitap; the wired kind, not the wireless one) - $5 -- Not sure how much I'll use it, but it is something I wanted to have. I only have two multitap-compatible games so far, Gauntlet II and Super Off-Road, but there are a few more good ones, anyway.

Game Boy Color
--
Logical - $2, cart only (puzzle game)

PSP
--
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - $8, disc only... yes, Square, your game names are stupid. As for the game... I've only played a few minutes, but it seems okay but not great. And yeah, I don't have the first one. I got this one first because of the price, pretty much.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 9th December 2011

Actually you don't need the first one. The first game's story is unlocked when you beat it. If you've only played a few minutes, you don't have a good impression just yet. The system is very deep.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th December 2011

Ah, that's cool. I won't need the first one then. :)

... Oh, and I also got a copy of GC Resident Evil 4 for $5, because the copy I got some time back never worked. Sure, I'd probably rather have it for Wii, but that'd cost like three times as much...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th December 2011

As for the game (Dissidia 012), yeah, I do need to figure out the game system better; it certainly is somewhat complex.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 10th December 2011

Since Duodecim is a prequel, it worked out perfectly to slide in the first game's story after this one's. The first game's story has also been retweaked to work with the new world system, which is nice.

The biggest problem with the Dissidia games is how all the really interesting moves need to be unlocked by leveling up all the characters, which takes a long time. Until that moment, you have a few characters that are really fun to play and a bunch of level 1 characters that are a bore. A sequel should ditch leveling entirely and just give all the abilities from the start, in order to make multiplayer more accessible. I do think Dissidia is one of the more original fighting games to come along in a long time, with the complexity coming in the form of character customization choices instead of stupidly complex button input commands (Dissidia's controls went for the simple side much like Smash Bros.). I've played a lot of it. But, it still needs some work to really make it a go-to choice for people who don't like investing so much time into stuff like crafting gear and leveling stuff up, which I think shouldn't be in a fighting game. To that end, I still consider Brawl my favorite fighting game. Yes, I know Melee purists have their complaints, but honestly the only one I share is the random tripping. Seriously, I would understand it a LOT better if random tripping were only a factor on slippery floors, but to have it just there at all times? It sucks. Fortunately, it's still just rare enough not to really detract from the game.

RE4 is a fun game. The Wii edition is nice since you can use whatever controller you want, though when using a Gamecube controller or something it doesn't alter the on screen display to match those controls. That's a problem with a lot of games recently. Brawl managed to make it's controls changed based on whatever input you're using, why does every other game seem to struggle with that? Just program it to change the displayed controls every time you use an input from a different device.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2011

From today:

Game Boy
--
Donkey Kong Land III - $6.50, cart only - The last of the DKL trilogy, and now I have all of Rare's GBC DKL trilogy (and I have the GBC remake of DKC, too). It looks and plays a lot like DKL1 or 2, but with the DKC characters and stage concepts. Seems good, though the SNES games are better.

From a little while ago but I failed to mention it:

PC DD
--
The Polynomial - this was on sale on Steam a few weeks back. It's a somewhat interesting shooter with fractal-style graphics, cool stuff. I think I paid like $2 or something? I forget exactly.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th December 2011

PC
--
SODA Off-Road Racing - $2, jewelcase only. Sierra racing game.
Tanktics - $2, jewelcase only. Strategy game.
Conspiracies - $5, jewelcase only. Multidisc adventure game, comes with both CD and DVD versions in the case. It's a 2003 game with live-action FMV video! :)
Rollcage - $1, disc only. I have the first game for PSX and the second for PC, but it's cool to have the first one for PC as well... great series! It's really too bad it didn't continue.
Drakan: Order of the Flame - $1, disc only. It was compared a bit to Tomb Raider but with parts where you're on a dragon. Decent game I think, I do have the PS2 sequel.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 20th December 2011

Wii
--
Kirby's Epic Yarn - $8, new. This was on sale at Best Buy last week, I got it online ordered (free shipping).

PSP
--
Genesis Collection - $7, complete. It has a decent number of titles I don't have.

Game Gear
--
Choplifter III - cart only, $5. Fun little game. It's not at all the same (or as good as) SNES Choplifter III, but this is a solid Choplifter game too. It's nice to finally have a shooting-ish game for Game Gear.

N64
--
Starshot: Space Circus - $7.50, cart only. Mid-tier 3d platformer, first time I've seen this one in a long time. The same store got in some other N64 games I have an interest in too, but I only got this one for starters (is Chameleon Twist 2 really worth $10.50?). One nice surprise - it has on-cart saving!

Also, for a dollar I got two PS1 cheat devices (the serial port kind, one's called the "Video Game Xploder" and the other "Game Enhancer".) and a GBA (SP I think?) car/wall charger thing. Who knows if these work...

PC DD
--
It's Steam holiday sale time, and while I didn't get anything on the first day, I did get a couple on day two (which ends in 15 hours apparently).

Chantelise - $2.50 - Recettear just doesn't sound that interesting, but even though it got better reviews with this one I'm getting this and not that. Run an item shop? No, I don't like economics games much...

Costume Quest - $3.74 - Doublefine's cute halloween-themed RPG. Hopefully worth getting.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st December 2011

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electronics/Video-Games/abcat0700000.c?id=pcmcat257000050031&AID=10597222&PID=1312731&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FElectronics%2FVideo-Games%2Fabcat0700000.c%3Fid%3Dpcmcat257000050031&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01

Best Buy's sale continues with some pretty impressive deals... too bad I don't have a PS3 or 360, for some of those!

(I'll probably pass on $5 Dissidia, if it really is included unlockable in 012.)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 21st December 2011

Dragon Quest IX is probably the best find in there.

In answer to your question, yeah, the entire storyline of the first Dissidia immediately follows Duodecim's story. Considering all the modes are there, all the stages are there, and all the characters are there, I can't really think of anything that's missing from the first one.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st December 2011

There's also this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dead+Space+2+Collector%27s+Edition+-+Windows/1747222.p?id=1218288821962&skuId=1747222&st=dead%20space%202&lp=5&cp=1 ...

I ended up getting that (delivery) and ModNation Racers (PSP, in-store pickup), for $5 each. I'd get the Bust-A-Move 3DS game for sure if I had one though! I love BAM games. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2011

I hate you Steam for always having these stupid deals...

PC DD (Steam sale)
--
Blur - $5 (the mario kart with real cars game)
SkyDrift - $5 (arcadey plane racing game with weapons, etc.)
Limbo - $2.50 (this one got good reviews)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 23rd December 2011

Gamestop's buy 2 get 1 free on used games through the 28th (because as with most stores they have sales for the holidays). I ended up getting a few things. (Also Gamestop stuff is 10% off with the card, which I have, but with 5% tax that means that effectively things are 5% less than the numbers I'm giving below.) All of the six I got were ones I've been interested in getting for a while, too.

PSP
--
ModNation Racers - pickup mentioned two posts ago (the stuff below is all from the above though) - new
Ys Seven - disc in generic case - $18
Blazblue Calamity Trigger Portable - $13, disc in generic case
Hot Shots Tennis - $8, complete
Death Jr. - free, disc in generic case (would have been $5)

Wii
--
Tornado: Outbreak - $5, complete
Kororinpa: Marble Mania - free, would have been $10 - I don't have the first one, but I've wanted to play this series, and this is a good way to get it, for sure...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 30th December 2011

These are all from 12/16, before the trip I was just on. Everything is from Gamestop, so it was all buy 2 get 1 free.

PSP
--
Lumines II - $4.50, complete
Star Ocean: First Departure - $13.50, complete
N+ - $4, complete
Ys I & II Chronicles - free, would have been $20, disc in generic case

DS
--
Touch Detective 2 1/2 - $3.60, card only
Kirby: Canvass Curse - $20, card only

GC
--
Darkened Skye - free, would have been $3, disc in generic case

Wii
--
Excitebots - $9, complete
Cruis'n - free, would have been $9, complete
Impossible Mission - free, would have been $3, complete
Pikmin New Play Control - $25, complete

PS2
--
Time Crisis 2 - $3, disc in slipcover (another lightgun game)

I know that some of these games sell for less on ebay than I payed -- Kirby Canvass Curse and NPC Pikmin, for example -- but basically my hope was that the free games of the deal would balance that out, and that overall I'd be at least even versus ebay/amazon prices, and maybe slightly better. Hopefully I managed that.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2012

PC DD (Steam sale)
--
(this first batch is from like a week ago, maybe a bit more, when they were all on sale)
Worms Reloaded - all five DLC packs (I already had the game)
Bastion
Worms Pinball
Worms Ultimate Mayhem

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2012

Dreamcast keyboard - complete in box, $10. Now I'll need Typing of the Dead. :) And probably a mouse too; there are a few DC games that support keyboard and mouse.

Genesis
--
Micro Machines - $5. This is of course one of my favorite racing games; I got this for the GB in the late '90s and absolutely loved it, and then got MM2 for the PC later. However, the only color version of the first game I have is MM1&2 for the GBC, which I didn't like much at all, so this was a fantastic find. Codemasters released very few Genesis games in the US -- most of their titles were Europe only, such as the other three Micro Machines games for the Geneiss all are -- but we did get this one... it's too bad about those other ones certainly, but this is a great game. Now I have two Codemasters Genesis games, this one and Cosmic Spacehead; are there any others? They're quite distinctive with their uniquely shaped small angled carts.