Tendo City
The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment (/showthread.php?tid=4831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2008

Because I have PH now so that thread is outdated. :)

Yesterday
--
Sunset Riders (Genesis)
ESWAT - City Under Siege (Genesis)
Space Invaders (SNES)
Dead Or Alive (PSX)
Yoshi's Island DS (DS)

$15 for the first four, $11 for Yoshi's Island DS.

Today (from a place I hadn't been in before...)
--
Redjack: Revenge of the Brethren (PC CD) (complete, in box, sealed)
Descent: Freespace (PC DVD version) (disc only)
Claw (PC DVD version) (disc and case only)
PowerSlide (PC CD) (disc and case only)

$25 for all four. The place had a few more good (PC) games -- complete in box: RoboSport (Maxis), HardBall 5, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, and MetalTech: EarthSiege, and others (including boxed versions of X-Wing (floppy version) and Rebel Assault II, but I have those games already... from collections and not original boxes, but I have them...), and disc/case only: SimIsle, SoulBringer, Heroes Chronicles (forget which one of them), Amazon Trail II, and a couple of others, but I just got a few.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2008

Woah... checking prices online (ebay/amazon) as I sometimes do after getting stuff, to see how I made out compared to buying online, and... well, Freespace, Powerslide, and Redjack were all right about right ($4-$8 online plus shipping (about $4 each), vs. $6.25 each here), but Claw... currently unavailable on EBay and $55-$80 on Amazon! And the one of those four on Amazon that is the DVD version that I got is the $80 one... I don't remember the last time there was such a huge disparity between what I paid and what it's worth online. Quest for Glory: Collection Series three or four years ago, perhaps? ($5 bought in store vs. around $100 online)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 8th January 2008

You really do buy a lot of random games, don't you?

Eh, the ones yesterday were kind of random (note: DOA1 is a better game than I thought it'd be... I wasn't sure if it'd actually be worth getting, but it definitely was), but today... those were all games I knew about (I played demos of all four of those back when I was getting PC Gamer) and knew were good games, so it's not like those were just random selections... there at least I was getting games I knew were good and were worth it (particular RedJack with its box... I love full-size PC game boxes so much...). :)

Descent: Freespace is a great space flight sim, X-Wing/TIE Fighter style. The two Freespace games are the best space sim series that isn't X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

Claw is a really good 2d side-scrolling platformer from 1997. Great game, and from a time when 2d sidescrollers as a genre had almost totally died on the PC...

Redjack is an adventure game. First person view, pirate theme (:)), and quite good.

Powerslide's a futuristic racing game... just a good game, not a great one, but worth $5 anyway.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th January 2008

Well, I was in the local game store today, and he'd finally put out all of those Dreamcast games he got in a few weeks ago but hadn't gotten around to dealing with yet, so of course I got some. For $20 I got:

Sega Rally 2 - Sega Rally Championship -- First impressions say 'not so good'. Framerate is poor, graphics are kind of bad, two player only (all racing games should have four player support), game is annoying, I never liked rally games all that much anyway... meh, it's okay though.

Re-Volt -- great stuff! It's as good as the PC version... I got the N64 one a little while ago, but the framerate was just awful. Here it's perfectly smooth. :) Re-Volt is a great game on PC and Dreamcast... four player, too. Way too many DC games are two player only. I blame Sega. I mean, many of those two player games are their own titles! Gamecube has way too many two player only games too for a console with four controller ports, but at least there Nintendo always makes an effort to make four player games, just like with the N64. Sega did nothing of the sort on DC. It's kind of like why the SNES has so many more games with battery save... Nintendo actually put battery save in all of their SNES platformers. Sega didn't, with very few exceptions (Sonic 3, Wonder Boy in Monster Land if that even counts). Re-Vol's by Acclaim... maybe that's why it's four player? :D

Speed Devils Online Racing -- Awful. Even worse than I was hoping it would be based on the poor reviews... it's really too bad, because the original Speed Busters (PC) was a fantastic game, and the first DC one -- Speed Devils -- was great too... but they messed up the car control, got rid of splitscreen multiplayer mode (Speed Devils had 2-player splitscreen. Not good enough, but okay. Speed Devils Online is online only for multiplayer -- NO splitscreen mode! And there's no online play anymore, of course, so it's one player only), and there's absolutely no campaign, series, unlockables, anything... just choose a race and race it and go back to the menu at the end and race another one. It does have 22 cars (11 new compared to Speed Devils) and "16" tracks (read: 8, 6 of which have alternate versions (four with one alternate, two with two alternates) that they call new tracks), one of which I think is new but is online-only so it cannot be accessed, but with zero presentation, no reason to play, bad play control, and the removal of the interactive track elements (for instance in Speed Busters you'd get something (I forget what, really) based on how fast you were going at certain points in the track, and there were environmental hazards -- a shark leaped out over the pool, the giant ape or godzilla thing punched down... (in the demo Hollywood track) but in this one everything is static and the speed thing is gone, it's just simple "finish" or checkpoints. Blah. A bad version of a good game is a bad game...

Bang! Gunship Elite -- port of good PC space action game (kind of like Wing Commander but with Rogue Squadron levels of arcadish gameplay...). Not as good without gamepad (or mouse), but decent. Single player only, though.

Wild Metal -- DMA Design game, haven't played yet.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear (Including Mission Pack: Urban Operations) - haven't played. Just got this one because I needed one more $5 game for the 'get one free' thing and couldn't convince myself to get any of the OTHER $5 or under DC games... they had a bunch of realistic-style racing games for instance (Sega GT, Ferarri F355 Challenge, Monaco Grand Prix, CART Flag to Flag, Tokyo Xtreme Racer...), though I of course prefer arcade-style racing games so most of those didn't interest me too much. As for the more expensive games... I've spent enough recently, I think. :D

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th March 2008

So I was in the main gamestore I go to, looking for NES games of course (not like I'm going to find any more Virtual Boy games... finding just one was amazing...), and I got more random stuff. :)

All NES. $16.50 total.

Legacy of the Wizard -- Falcom. Just wandering around is great fun. Great music. Actually trying to play it (without getting lost) seems like it would be frustrating, but who cares... it's fun. Very long passwords.

Faxanadu -- Falcom's other NES game. Long passwords, but fun.

DuckTales -- one of the NES classics! And with the manual, too! (Other games there with manuals: Robocop, Fester's Quest, Roger Rabbit, and Wizards & Warriors. I did not get those. Only Wizards & Warriors comes even close to being worth it...)

Snake Rattle and Roll -- controls are so hard... (from Rare)

Cybernoid -- decent shooter (with a very heavy puzzle-style "get through the situation on the screen" focus), but really, really hard.

Solar Jetman -- also from Rare. It's kind of like a worse version of Sub Terrania (Genesis)... which makes me want to just forget this and play that game. Gravity mechanic is interesting, but the game seems average at best.

3-D World Runner -- from Square, actually... interesting, fun game. Behind-the-character '3d' rail-shooter style, but it's a mostly a platformer (that is, you avoid enemies, collect things, and jump over pits)... it's got a "3d" mode for those red and blue 3d goggles. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - DMiller - 11th March 2008

Those are some good games. Snake R&R, DuckTales, and Faxandu were some of my favorites from back then. I still have Faxandu but the other two are lost to the ether.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th March 2008

Yeah, DuckTales is definitely an old favorite of mine. It's really great to have it. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - DMiller - 11th March 2008

I just noticed you passed on Roger Rabbit. I rented it once and I remember really liking it, but sometimes the memories can betray me. It was kind of a cool detective game with a bit of action mixed in, and you weren't always told exactly where to go so you had to explore the town to find your next objective. The thing I remember vividly was that driving the cab around town was a lot of fun.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th March 2008

Some stuff they have, I might get a few of (perhaps)... Bad Dudes, Astyanax, Image Fight, Wizards & Warriors, Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword, Demon Sword, Swords & Serpents, Robocop, Roger Rabbit, Fester's Quest, Dr. Mario, and I'm sure a few more.

Another place had a bunch of good stuff too (Air Fortress, Sky Shark, Shadowgate as the most interesting ones, but also Darkman, Gotcha! The Sport (lightgun), Dragon Warrior, Faxanadu, and a few more), but I can't get there again before going back to school... I did get that controller there, though. Rollergames came from another place which had pretty much nothing else (just Loopz and a bunch of sports games).

Anyway... Swords and Serpents is probably the one I'm most likely to get, for some reason. It's a dungeon-crawl RPG (with password save) from Interplay... quite simple, but decent. Demon Sword looked interesting too, but looking it up the US version basically removed half of the content of the original Japanese one... (it's basically Legend of Kage 2) meh, not worth it. I might get Image Fight too just because I want a shmup. :D

Hopefully (early) this summer I'll find Gradius and The Guardian Legend...

Anyway, finding Legacy of the Wizard and Faxanadu was great. DuckTales I've played before of course, long ago (like Super Mario Bros.), but those two I hadn't (apart from knowing a bit about them and playing the roms a few times).

As for Snake Rattle & Roll... well, maybe once I get used to the controls...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 11th March 2008

Ooh! Fester's Quest! Pinball Quest is another fun one.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2008

Because you mentioned them, I've got to post them...

(I know he's not exactly fair sometimes, but that isn't exactly the point... )

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l-6WakV0kWM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l-6WakV0kWM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=25046"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=25046" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 16th March 2008

Well, back at school now, but before I went back I was able to get to the store one more time, and they had a bunch of new NES stuff in including a lot of good games... didn't want to spend much, so I just got some $3 stuff, but I got three.

Image Fight (average shmup... got to the (first?) boss of the last level, but it's pretty much impossible and if (when) you die it's pretty much impossible to get through the second half of the last level to get to the boss again without powerups... you pretty much get one shot even though you have infinite continues and continue at the midway point of the level if you reached it (if only it also had "continue at the boss..."). Oh well... (Oh, and the music ... only kind of works... too.) But I wanted a shmup, so it's worth it anyway.)

Bucky O'Hare (pretty good and well known action-platformer from Konami, of course)

Crystalis (dead battery, as I expected, so I'll either have to leave the system on to play it or play it all at once... oh well, it's good (and cheap) enough to be worth it anyway.)

Oh yeah, and because I hadn't taken by Virtual Boy home, I was finally able to play Vertical Force just now. The game is just like the rom, obviously, but with some okay 3d effects (could have been better done, really... mostly just two levels with a background...) and a really good soundtrack (most VB games have no sound in either emulator, annoyingly... and both Wario Land and Vertical Force have pretty good soundtracks. The graphics may look "Game Boy" colors-wise, but apart from that, technically, I think the GBA is a much better comparison.). Good game, even if (on the easy difficulty, anyway) it does indeed seem easy like the reviews say. :)

The main problem (besides the somewhat lacking VR elements... while I don't completely agree with the AVGN's Virtual Boy review, he is right that not enough games used good VR elements in a "VR" system...), really, is that it's five levels long and isn't very hard on easy. I got to the boss of level three with no trouble... though there are two more higher difficulties, and reviews say that you need to play it on hard to get the real ending, even so, it's still short and not one of the harder shmups out there (for instance, you have a health bar). It is fun, though, so that stuff doesn't matter that much really. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 7th April 2008

House of the Dead 2 PC
Restricted Area
Zork Nemesis
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

All for $2 each.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th April 2008

Quote:Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

I've sort of wanted this ever since it was announced... what do you think?

(Oh, and Restricted Area... European Diablo clone, right? I think I played the demo. Pretty average I think.)

Zork Nemesis... the least funny Zork game, right? More Mystlike or something? I've never played it, though. I just know that Zork: Grand Inquisitor (the next and last Zork game) was said to be a nice return to form for the series after the somewhat different Nemesis. I'm sure it's still a fine adventure game though.

As for HOTD2... talked about that one earlier. Some of the most hilarious voice acting ever. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 7th April 2008

Quote:I've sort of wanted this ever since it was announced... what do you think?

It's awesome, a bit buggy but the latest fanpatches fix just about everything.

Bloodlines is basically what I hope that Fallout 3 is: a free-roaming RPG with multiple dialogue options, consequences for conduct, a variety of ways to complete missions, tons of sidequests, and a heavy emphasis on stats and skills. It's got some flaws, like terrible animation and questionable graphics in some places, but the story's good, it's fun, and the dialogue/voice-acting is better than a lot of games from that genre.

It's only $10 on Steam and it's well worth even that.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 7th April 2008

Quote:Bloodlines is basically what I hope that Fallout 3 is: a free-roaming RPG with multiple dialogue options, consequences for conduct, a variety of ways to complete missions, tons of sidequests, and a heavy emphasis on stats and skills. It's got some flaws, like terrible animation and questionable graphics in some places, but the story's good, it's fun, and the dialogue/voice-acting is better than a lot of games from that genre.

"Bloodlines is exactly what Fallout 3 will never be", you mean? :)

Bloodlines is from Troika, headed by the lead designer of Fallout 1.

Fallout 3... isn't.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2008

Never miss a beat, do you?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 9th April 2008

Hey, I commented on all four games, not just that one. You just chose to only reply to the comment about that game.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 10th April 2008

Because you asked about it!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th April 2008

Well sure, but I said something about each of the other three games too. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Sacred Jellybean - 10th April 2008

From a spectator's point-of-view, I would guess he's referring to you bashing Fallout 3 even though your opinion is already known on the matter.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 10th April 2008

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th April 2008

Quote:ABF probably wouldn't like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines anyway since the battle system is real-time only.

It's an FPS-RPG. It certainly is a big step down from Fallout, Arcanum,and Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil, and probably could be considered to be part of the general trend away from complex PC games, but even so, if what is there is done well, it's not totally worthless ss if you accept it as that. For instance, Wizards & Warriors vs. Dungeon Lords. Just because Dungeon Lords is a simplistic hack and slash game and not an awesome, complex RPG like W&W is doesn't mean that it should be played. It's still a fun hack and slash game, at least. It is too bad that D. W. Bradley thought that he had to make an action-RPG now, but for what it is... and at least they were made by the original creators, and not a new team.

And yes, this is indeed what Fallout 3 is aiming at. It might even succeed, though I'm obviously sceptical. I'm just sad about every one of these titles that try to prove again and again how the classic PC game I used to love is now gone... Baldur's Gate vs. KotOR, etc, etc, etc... :(

(Ever play Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption? You know, the older PC RPG set in the Vampire universe.)

On an unrelated note, I have Restricted Area wallpapers for some reason...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Great Rumbler - 11th April 2008

Quote:(Ever play Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption? You know, the older PC RPG set in the Vampire universe.)

I've played it before, but not very much.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th April 2008

I remember playing through the demo... it seemed pretty good.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 12th May 2008

New purchases!

Castlevania (NES)
The Legend of Kage (NES)
Astyanax (NES)
Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs (N64)
Super Magnetic Neo (DC)
And a PS2 memory card, so I can finally play my PS2 games.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st May 2008

Yes, it's "Games I Bought" again.

First, PS2 games... I got six more.

These four games were $5 total. All had their cases, though some were missing their manuals.
Mobile Light Force 2 (PS2) (it's actually Shikigami no Shiro 1)
Hidden Invasion (PS2)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (PS2, w/ soundtrack CD)
Butt-Ugly Martians: Zoom or Boom (PS2)

These two were discs only -- no cases or manuals included (from a different place). They were $3 each.

Final Fantasy XII: Collector's Edition (w/ Bonus DVD second disc) (PS2)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (PS2)

For other consoles, I got:

Bio-Hazard Battle (Genesis) -- cart only, $2
Expendable (Dreamcast) -- complete, $2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Dreamcast) -- discs only, $2

Of all this stuff, I'm very happy to have Mobile Light Force 2, FFXII, and Maximo. Maximo has been high on my list since I got the PS2 and I was recently seriously considering getting it for $10, so finding a copy for a lot less was great. No case, but oh well. I've only played it a bit, but it does indeed seem awesome... hard, but awesome. Shmups like MLF2 (SNS1) are also games I buy when I can. FFXII... I've been interested in it for years, really... not sure why, but I have been. I wasn't planning on getting it soon because I wanted to play the other PS2 RPGs I have first -- I saw a CE copy with case for like $9 last week and didn't get it -- but for $3, with the bonus disc too, I just couldn't refuse...

Same goes for RECV. Now I have three RE games I can not play much! (RE0 for GC and RE2 for N64 being the other two)

Oh, and Hidden Invasion is a humorously bad beat 'em up. Worth the $2. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2008

Maximo is awesome. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2008

Is that game related to Ghosts and Goblins?

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Sacred Jellybean - 24th May 2008

Oh yeah, that's that PS2 game where you lose the armor, right? I wanted to play that. I still need to pick up a PS2 at some point.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2008

Yeah, it's basically a newer Ghosts 'n Goblins game, except that it doesn't actually use the Ghosts & Goblins series name, even though it is also from Capcom; it is very clearly closely related, though, in name ("Ghosts to Glory"), gameplay, and theme. The game was developed by Capcom Digital Studios, an American branch of Capcom. The studio made Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and its sequel, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, before a prospective third Maximo game was cancelled because of the poor sales of the second one, and then a while later the studio was shut down. Too bad. :(

Anyone who has a PS2 should buy the game! It's quite cheap ($10 at most, often less), and though it's quite hard, it's great fun. And it's nowhere NEAR as hard as the classic Ghosts 'n Goblins games; while there are no difficulty levels to choose between, the game does have in-level checkpoints, saving between levels, etc, quite unlike the three original games in the series (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts). It does punish you -- when you get game over you start the level you are at over (so in-level checkpoints last only as long as your lives do), and game over also requires you to spend tokens to continue unless you reset the system and load from your last save. You get tokens by collecting items (getting 50 of the spririt things gives you one token), and each time you get game over, it requires more tokens than the last time to continue. Since you can save between levels, though, it seems that the best option often would be resetting, even though you would lose whatever stuff you had gotten since your last save...

Oh yeah, and when you save, it costs 100 coins. Make sure to have enough cash. :)

I've only gotten to the first area (levels 2-5 area, of 16 total), but the level designs are great. Once you beat level one, you get to an area where you can save and access the next few levels. You can do those in any order, before fighting a boss and then moving on to the next area. There are five areas, each with a different graphical theme -- I'm only in the first one, the graveyard. Level one really evokes level 1 of SGnG, for instance, with land that raises or falls as you near it (I love the way it does that... cool stuff. :)), familiar enemies like the towers that throw skulls, a double jump system where you have limited control in the air except for the second jump, levels of armor where each time one health bar runs out you lose a layer until at the last he's in his boxer shorts, etc. Then there are the areas with hands that come out of the ground and grab you where if you don't jump constantly you will take damage, chest mimics which attack you when you try to open them, and more. Of course you do have health bars this time, unlike the originals where one hit lost you a layer or armor, and the second hit killed you... they aren't being quite as cruel as the old ones. That's okay, the old games were perhaps inordinately hard. This game is just a lot of fun... still hard, but not so hard that it makes it not fun, like the old games were. And you can save.

The graphics aren't the best ever technically (I keep thinking that this could have probably been done on N64, with some minor cuts... just like what I think when I play most Dreamcast games...), but artistically it's great, and the level designs and art styles are really well done. It looks fantastic on artistic merit. :)

*checks Wikipedia* Huh, so the game was originally planned for the N64, before it was moved to the PS2. I was right, I guess. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximo:_Ghosts_to_Glory

Oh yes, the controls and combat... there is no auto lock on. You have two different kinds of attacks, jump, and block, as well as some special moves, but you can't lock on to enemies. You also need to time your attacks well... drop your shield at the wrong time and you WILL be hit. It takes some practice to get used to the close combat system, but fights can usually be won, I've found, by just staying away and attacking from the sides, or longer range... Some enemies have shields too, or weapons with longer ranges than your sword. You won't beat them by just mashing attack, instead you need to pay attention, attack from the sides or when their guard is down, block, leap backwards... when holding shield you can't move, but you can rotate around, and backward jumps can also get you away quickly. You also need to pay attention to dodge enemy projectiles or time attacks right so that you hit fast-moving enemies like the ghosts or birds... the combat system makes you think, which is great. It can get boring when all you have to do is mash attack to win every fight. It makes it harder, of course, but more interesting.

Oh yeah, and the slam attack -- double jump and then press triangle (vertical swing attack button) -- is extremely important. It's how you activate checkpoints, it's how you get as many spirits as possible out of gravestones that have them in them, and it's a good finishing move for downed enemies...

As for those special abilities, you can only have three at a time. They go in your belt. Get more than three and you'll lose one you have (or simply can't pick it up, I'm not sure). There are also items you can buy from specific pillars; they cost money, and once you've gotten an item it's gone for the rest of your time in the level (or perhaps permanently), so be careful when you choose to buy items like full heals!

The music so far has been great too, and each track fits the theme well... only seen the graveyard area so far, and the music is pretty good. Nice adventuring-in-a-dangerous-place stuff.

The camera is okay. It's mostly an auto-camera, with OoT-style center the camera behind your character and immobile first-person buttons. The auto-camera is not placed well in a few parts, though, which can occasionally be frustrating when you want to make a jump but can't see forward. It's a minor point overall though.

The main complaint most people have about the game is the difficulty level. And yeah, it is hard. It took me a while to beat the first level... though that it took me a while to figure out how to use the checkpoints was definitely part of that. :) But really, it isn't as hard as the incredibly frustrating old games, and it is hugely fun. So it's hard... not every game has to be easy. It wouldn't be quite the same if you could just run through everything... the game is hard, but fun so even if you are dying you want to try over until you get it right. It's just a great game.

I don't have it, but supposedly the second Maximo, Army of Zin, is quite a bit easier. You can save anytime and it doesn't cost any money, the levels are just a linear sequence instead of having overworld areas where you can choose from several different levels, you can have as many special abilities as you can carry all at once, etc. Some say combat is also simpler, but I'd have to play it to see. It does add difficulty levels, and on Hard I'd imagine it would be difficult. I'll definitely be getting it sooner or later, that's for sure.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2008

Super Ghouls and Ghosts actually did have a difficulty selection. Minor nitpick.

Well, Maximo doesn't. That was what I was saying. But yeah, I had forgotten that SGnG had a difficulty setting... not like it made it any easier, really. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 1st June 2008

Picked up a couple things... nothing major, though. $8 for the three.

Star Wars: Episode I Racer (GBC) -- rumble cart... came with a working battery too, Decent top-down racing game... fast, but it gives you arrows for which direction to turn ahead so that you can make the turns (unlike the GB/C version of Micro Machines 2...). Worth getting.

Super Adventure Island (SNES)-- Platformer. so, so simple... I've never loved this series, but I think that the later NES ones are probably the best ones (though admittedly this did come out before Adventure Island II or III on NES, it came out just six months before the second NES game, so they could have made this have a bit more to it to...). At least there you get dinosaurs you can ride on. But here, it's got nothing... just the simplest platforming you can imagine, with standard Adventure Island style fruit collecting to keep the timer up. Decent, but quite underwhelming. I haven't beaten the first boss (end of level 1-3) yet, though, and it has limited continues... so not easy, but frustrating (because one touch with pretty much anything kills you) and simplistic. Graphics and music are good, though.

Tiger-Heli (NES) -- decent shmup. No ending (infinite loop), few or no real bosses. You move really slow, too... but once you get used to it it's fun. There are powerups and bonuses to find, and the challenge level is good. The music is somewhat grating... I like it, I think...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th June 2008

New purchases! Six of them!

Xexyz - NES
Batman - NES
Mick & Mack as The Global Gladiators - Genesis
Doom - SNES
Test Drive 6 - Dreamcast
The Red Star - PS2

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2008

Sly 2 - Gang of Thieves (PS2)
Bloody Roar 3 (PS2)

... $3 each. Sly 2 I'm hoping will live up to its really good reputation (it should, Rocket was awesome), Bloody Roar is every bit as awful as I remember it. I knew that, why couldn't I resist buying it anyway...

I also got four N64 sports games for free, but those aren't worth mentioning.

Oh yeah, and I've been playing a lot of SNES Doom. It's been in my SNES all week. So awesome!

I'd never gotten past the first level or two of Doom before (on PC) you see... actually playing it now, it's amazing. Just beat the first campaign (Knee-Deep in the Dead) today... really hard, it took me most of the week to get through those seven levels (didn't get to the hidden one, and one level was removed from the PC's original 9 -- SNES Doom has 22 of the PC's original 27 levels in it, but they are direct ports, unlike most of the other console versions, which mostly have smaller, simplified maps... that's true on 32X, Jaguar, GBA, 3DO, PSX, Saturn... of the console versions only SNES, Xbox (included with one of the Doom 3 versions) and 360 have the PC maps.). I'm so bad at FPSes... intense game, though. Creepy sometimes, too...

... on a related note, I've never gotten past level three or so of Duke Nukem 3D (PC) either... and Hexen was the first FPS I owned, but gave up in like the second area or something... haven't gotten more than a couple levels into Dark Forces 1 either. Tribes: Vengeance? Maybe halfway. At least I played it a good bit though, unlike these other titles (or Doom before this last week). I got to the first save point in Turok 2 and that's it (though that is like two hours into the game). I barely started (Jedi Knight 4:) Jedi Academy, but that's only average.

The only FPSes I've actually finished are Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force, Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Goldeneye (Agent difficulty only), and Perfect Dark (Agent only; got to final mission in Secret Agent but couldn't beat it). Oh, and Turok: Rage Wars with like three characters, but that takes an hour per character or so.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 6th July 2008

Haven: Call of the King (PS2) - $3
Ico (PS2) - $10

:)

(Haven's actually pretty decent, annoying perspective that causes me to miss jumps way too often (reminding me of Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, another good 3d platformer with the same problem...). They were so proud of their 'no load times' tech that they listed it on the back of the box... it is true though, the loading is hidden, rare for a PS2 game. In addition to the platforming there are various turret-shooting and vehicle racing/driving segments... not perfect, but fun.)

Ico... I don't think I need to say anything. Anyone who plays games should know how great it is.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - lazyfatbum - 9th July 2008

The veritable ass load of lame has struck me square in the testicles, just by entering this thread I have lost the will to live.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 9th July 2008

Ico's good.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 10th July 2008

Yes, which is why there's now a thread on it in Forum 5.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 10th July 2008

I was responding to the post before mine.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th July 2008

Talking about games is the main purpose of this forum.

It is better to talk about games you have actually played.

Thus talking about which games you have bought, and then describing them and saying what you like or don't like about them, is one of the best possible thread topics on a forum like this, really.

On that note, I forgot to mention that I also got Flying Dragon (N64) recently. Cart only of course. Fun little lesser-known fighting game... decent, if unspectacular, graphics, good fighting engine, some nice variety with two different gameplay modes each with different gameplay (and two different modes in one of those modes), plenty to unlock and do... good game, just as I'd heard from my cousin a while back (that made me want to play the game and see if it was indeed good or not).

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - lazyfatbum - 11th July 2008

Yes it is good, very. But it came out in what, like pre 9/11? its a thread about games that are older than ten years!

*plays PD*

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - Dark Jaguar - 11th July 2008

9/11 is the worst tragedy name ever! Pearl Harbor at least has a poetic quality. D-Day has an epic sound to it. 9/11 is something you write on a check!

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 11th July 2008

I don't have the money to buy much in the way of new games, so old games it is.

If I haven't played them before, why should it matter how old they are...

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2008

New stuff (as of today)!
--
Glover (N64)
Zoop (SNES)
Cyber Speedway (Saturn)
Sonic CD (Sega CD)

... The local gamestore got in some Saturn and Sega CD stuff, I had to look through them... mostly sports games, but those two were good. NBA Jam for Sega CD tempted me a bit too, if I had a Backup RAM Cart (so I could save it) I think I'd get it... as it is trying to figure out how to make room for a Sonic CD save is tough enough. I'll have to delete something, Lunar: Eternal Blue, Dark Wizard, and Popful Mail combined take up 110 of the 125 blocks in the system...

Other than those there were Bust-A-Move 2 for Saturn, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for Sega CD, and a few more sports games. Those were easy to pass up. (Bust-A-Move is awesome, but I already have the better BAM '99 for N64...)

... As for Cyber Speedway, it was futuristic and a racing game and was $2. That was enough to make it certain that I got it.

... Zoop was because I had to choose something from the $2 stuff they had as a free game, and it was either that or Bad Dudes for the NES. I chose that.

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2008

Oh yeah, and I got Dark Cloud for PS2 a few days ago too. $2... and better than I was expecting. :)

The New "Games I Bought" Thread -- Copied For Your Enjoyment - A Black Falcon - 31st July 2008

Awesome day yesterday... simply awesome.

PC (all jewelcase only)
--
Anachronox ($8) (!!!)
The Wheel of Time ($8)
Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (expansion) ($1)
Starship Titanic ($3) (!!!)

NES
--
Little Nemo the Dream Master (with manual and slipcover) ($7) (!!!)

See what I mean? :)