Tendo City
Best Sports Rivalries - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Best Sports Rivalries (/showthread.php?tid=48)

Best Sports Rivalries - Fittisize - 3rd January 2003

Post what you think they are...

Hockey-
Canada vs. Russia
These two teams have met in so many championships on an international level...hopefully this trend will continue if Canada beats USA in the IIHF Championships semi-finals today (Russia just beat out the Fins).

Detroit vs. Colorado
Goes back to 1997-1999...fights every single game (one broke out only 6 seconds in). It's too bad these teams don't hate each other as much as they do now. Those games were fun to watch.

Er...that's all I know. Post your favourites.

Best Sports Rivalries - Laser Link - 3rd January 2003

Those are both great rivalries. It's true that the Red Wings and Avs don't hate each other as much as they did a few years ago, but the Avalanche fans hate the Red Wings just as much as then. :) You see as many "Red Wings Suck" stickers as pro- Avalanche stickers around here!

In baseball, you have to add the Yankees and Red Sox. Supposedly the Giants and Dodgers have a rivalry dating back a very long time, but it's faded now.

Football rivalries are a little bit different. It seems that every team in a division hates all the others, and I think it's because they've all been in the same divisions since the beginning (until the re-alignment this last year, but they kept it together well). It's very hard to get to the playoffs, almost half of the games in a season are against the rest of your division, and often those games come at the end of the season so teams fight each other for the last remaining spot. Just look at how the AFC East finished up! If that doesn't heat these rivalries, nothing will.

Best Sports Rivalries - A Black Falcon - 3rd January 2003

Red Sox and Yankees.

What, you want more? I'd say its one of the biggest rivalries in sports... even if they do almost always win. :( Its not fair, I say! Stupid Yankees! The Red Sox's chances for next season are already looking bleak... :(

Yeah, Giants-Dodgers is another rivalry. Not as big as it once was, but its definitely still there...those things never go away... not when they've been rivals for pretty much the whole century. Being crosstown (and later crossstate) rivals in the same division the whole time does that kind of thing.

Lots of teams have rivals. Often, the rival is a changing thing that is whatever team is currently best. Those rivalries, while they can create good games, don't last... just look at the Blue Jays or Indians. Does anyone hate them much anymore now that they stink?

The good rivalries are the ones that last... like the Red Sox-Yankees, or any other rivalry that comes close to that... crosstown/state rivalries, for instance.

Best Sports Rivalries - Dark Lord Neo - 3rd January 2003

Yeah Canada vs Russia is a big rivalry in hockey
But what about the Montreal Canadians and Toronto Maple Leafs rivalry which actually pre-dates the NHL, There are even several books about the rivalry, when Toronto was moved to the western confrence for a few seasons there was a huge uproar from Montreal and Toronto fans who were upset that the teams would not be playing as many games against each other. Not only are they the oldest rivalry in the NHL, but the two teams also happen to be the teams with the two highest numbers of stanley Cup victories

Best Sports Rivalries - Weltall - 4th January 2003

Steelers and Browns... which will come to a head tomorrow afternoon!

Best Sports Rivalries - -_____- - 4th January 2003

Florida vs. Florida St.

although this year both suck, so it didnt really matter.

Best Sports Rivalries - nickdaddyg - 4th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Canada vs. Russia

Uh yeah..."hockey."

Anyway I'd say, Notre Dame vs. Southern Cal.

Chiefs vs. Raiders

Brazil vs. anyone else (world cup. i bet every single team hates braazil. cocky bastages. Ronaldos a little he-bitch.)

Best Sports Rivalries - The Former DMiller - 6th January 2003

You will notice a pattern in these picks:

<b>Baseball:</b>
Cubs/Cardinals (Every game sells out in both stadiums, no matter the standings)
Cubs/White Sox
Yankees/Red Sox
Cubs/Brewers (Same deal as Cubs/Cardinals)

<b>NFL Football:</b>
Bears/Packers

<b>College Football:</b>
Ohio State/Michigan

<b>College Basketball:</b>
Duke/North Carolina
Illinois/Missouri

Best Sports Rivalries - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2003

If you're mentioning silly, often one-sided rivalries, then Red Sox- Devil Rays might work... for the last few years there have been some... incidents... between them. Never mind the fact that the Red Sox win almost every time (like any self-respecting good team), the Devil Rays still seem to have decided to make it a rivalry... I don't get it really, but there's been at least one bench-clearing brawl and a bunch of games with pitchers throwing at people...

Uhm, Cubs-Brewers? Well, I guess those two bad teams could have a contest for last place... :)

Best Sports Rivalries - The Former DMiller - 8th January 2003

OK, I was probably streching a little (a lot) with the Cubs/Brewers rivalry. The games are huge around here, but people probably don't care anywhere else.