Tendo City
This is sooo gay - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: This is sooo gay (/showthread.php?tid=473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 10th June 2003

I just find it bizarre that you can't think of how someone could try it, not especially like it, and still be straight afterwards... it makes no sense...

This is sooo gay - OB1 - 10th June 2003

This isn't like testing out foods, ABF. You don't just go around humping every living creature on earth in order to see which one is right for you. You just know it.

Yes, that is true. But not related to what I was saying, really.

What you're saying is absolutely preposterous. It's as if you just got all of the common sense and logic sucked right out of you.

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 10th June 2003

If you're attracted to women you're straight.

Does that account for lesbians?

If you're atrracted to men you're gay.

Does that mean your mom was gay when she laid your dad, OB1?

If you're attracted to men and women you're bi-sexual. Same thing goes with sex.

Well, that checks out; I'll go along with it.

If you enjoy having sex with members of the same sex, you're gay. Or bi-sexual, if you also enjoy sleeping with women.

Well, of course! That's the very definition of homosexuality. That was never my stance. My stance varied on the levels of enjoyment. It's well known that a lot of prisoners have sex. Now, are you suggesting that there's something in prison food that makes them gay? Obviously, they don't have a life-altering experience...they can have sex, and try to get past it being a guy's ass. Like some dudes would fuck an ugly chick with a bag over her head...they don't have to be attracted to her...they can pretend. Same with prisoners. One doesn't have to be arroused by whatever it's fucking to be sexually oriented towards it.

Quote:Well, of course! That's the very definition of homosexuality. That was never my stance. My stance varied on the levels of enjoyment. It's well known that a lot of prisoners have sex. Now, are you suggesting that there's something in prison food that makes them gay? Obviously, they don't have a life-altering experience...they can have sex, and try to get past it being a guy's ass. Like some dudes would fuck an ugly chick with a bag over her head...they don't have to be attracted to her...they can pretend. Same with prisoners. One doesn't have to be arroused by whatever it's fucking to be sexually oriented towards it.

Exactly what I've been saying, except put more crudely. :)

And while its obviously a lot rarer for people not in prison to do that, I wouldn't say that its totally absurd by any means...

Its not like if you aren't especially attracted sex is impossible.

Quote:Does that account for lesbians?

Does that mean your mom was gay when she laid your dad, OB1?

When I first wrote that I added in "If you're a guy and you like guys...", but it got too reduntant so I just wrote it thinking that since all of us here are guys you would get that I meant "if you're a guy...". I guess I overestimated your intelligence.

Quote:Well, of course! That's the very definition of homosexuality. That was never my stance. My stance varied on the levels of enjoyment. It's well known that a lot of prisoners have sex. Now, are you suggesting that there's something in prison food that makes them gay? Obviously, they don't have a life-altering experience...they can have sex, and try to get past it being a guy's ass. Like some dudes would fuck an ugly chick with a bag over her head...they don't have to be attracted to her...they can pretend. Same with prisoners. One doesn't have to be arroused by whatever it's fucking to be sexually oriented towards it.

Of course most prisoners probably do this out of desperation, but the point that you're missing is that as soon as they get these thoughts and perform these actions, they become gay. What you and ABF are suggesting is completely ridiculous. You admit that a person is gay if they are attracted to members of the same sex, but that if they're in a desperate situation (like prison) and are attracted to members of the same sex, they're not gay. Does that make sense to you? This argument isn't about why people become gay, but rather how you define homosexuality. What ABF is saying is that a person can have all the gay sex they want and still not be considered gay. If you agree with that then... well then I might as well be arguing with a chimpanzee.

Quote: but that if they're in a desperate situation (like prison) and are attracted to members of the same sex, they're not gay.

No, that is quite definitely not what we are saying, if you'd bother to read the arguments.

Quote:What ABF is saying is that a person can have all the gay sex they want and still not be considered gay.

'
Its technichally possible, but other than in prison I somewhat doubt that its the case much at all... most people who do that would probably be either gay or bisexual.

Quote:No, that is quite definitely not what we are saying, if you'd bother to read the arguments.

Yeah I did read your arguments and you contradict yourself over and over. The problem here is that you've already taken a stance on something and refuse to admit defeat even though you've been proven wrong a dozen times over. Now I know why Weltall gets so frustrated with you.

Quote:Its technichally possible, but other than in prison I somewhat doubt that its the case much at all... most people who do that would probably be either gay or bisexual.

You cannot have sex with someone without being attracted to them! If you want to have sex with someone then there has to be some sort of physical attraction there. If you honestly think that while humping some big hairy ass you can imagine that it's really a beautiful woman, you're absolutely out of your mind. I'm not kidding here. You're insane if you think that. No imagination is that powerful. Most of the guys in prison have gay sex out of desperation, true. They don't have any pretty women to bang so they lower their standards. Lower, lower, and lower, up until the point where they'd be willing to have sex with anything. So what happens? They start becoming attracted to other men. That is when they become gay!

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 10th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
I think it is perfectly possible for peole to have gay sex who aren't gay. Are you gonna be a dickweed and call me gay now, like you just did to ABF?

Well, you think that. We get it. It would help if you explained it accurately.

You guys claim it's your attraction that signifies your sexual preference, be it gay, straight or bi, yet you say the actual act of sex does not. Keeping that statement in mind, I'd like to know how many times you have sex, or even think about having sex, with someone who you are not attracted to, even remotely.

Sex usually doesn't take place without some level of attraction. I'm not attracted to men, therefore I'll never have sex with one, nor will I ever have sex with a woman who I do not find attractive.

Therefore, if you have sex with your own gender, and you're doing it consensually, you are gay, you are as straight as a circle. There is no black and white on this issue. The only possible exception to this is rape. If there is any consent on your part to have sex with another man, you are gay.

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 10th June 2003

You know, there are two particular sides in this debate.

One side claims homosexuality is possible in anyone. They claim that to participate in the homosexual lifestyle is a choice and is not forced upon them by biology or genetic makeup. This side has shown conclusive proof standing for their statements.

The other claims homosexuality is an unavoidable force that certain people simply cannot escape and swear that nobody would ever choose. This particular side chooses not to check their belief against fact and has been consistently disproven in this drawn out argument.

Anyway, the latter claims that no one can choose to be straight if they're 'born' gay. The former counters with the fact of homosexuality in prisons, and how it's very existence is invincible proof of homosexuality being a choice. Suddenly, the latter claim homosexuality is no longer sexuality at all, now it's merely a state of mind.

That was exactly the result I expected when I brought this thread back. I expected the losers of the argument to suddenly redefine homosexuality in order to salvage their stance, rather than suck it up and concede defeat.

The point of this thread was to determine whether homosexuality was a choice or not. Since it has been proven beyond doubt that it is a choice, I don't feel there's any need to continue, because the point has been made and in six pages there has been no proof to refute it.

I'd never "conceed defeat" to someone as obviously wrong about the issue as you are, Weltall... if you honestly think that you have "proven" anything and that we lack any proof you are doing your usual and ... creatively ... interpreting the facts as seen here.

Quote:Anyway, the latter claims that no one can choose to be straight if they're 'born' gay. The former counters with the fact of homosexuality in prisons, and how it's very existence is invincible proof of homosexuality being a choice. Suddenly, the latter claim homosexuality is no longer sexuality at all, now it's merely a state of mind.

Er, can you show how I've changed my position in any way?

Didn't think so. I haven't. I don't understand how homosexuality in prisons proves anything other than bad people in a desperate situation will do anything, and that sure doesn't alter any of MY opinions... but as I said earlier, it puts yours into serious doubt.

I mean, if it were really "choice" wouldn't those people still be "gay" when they get out of prison?

Yet I don't hear of them being any more a homosexual when they leave than when they go in. Hmm... wonder why? Rolleyes

As I've said since the beginning, its a genetic thing, mostly. Maybe there is some environmental things related to it (lots of things affect the mind) but like most mind-related things its probably either genetic or some deformity or alteration or something... not sure of course but its something like that. That means that the only people who are that are the ones in that group... no matter how they or anyone else act.

I said all along that actions are irrelevant in the issue of homosexuality. How is it that when I say that for like the five hundredth time I'm suddenly contradicting myself? Huh? I just don't understand where this "sudden change" happened, in any way, related to any aspect of this issue.

Because it didn't.

And its not a "state of mind!" unless you mean a 'state of mind' like any mental thing you have no control over as opposed to something you choose... but "state of mind" sounds like your definition of homosexuality, and makes no sense. But you probably meant it that way...

Quote:The point of this thread was to determine whether homosexuality was a choice or not. Since it has been proven beyond doubt that it is a choice, I don't feel there's any need to continue, because the point has been made and in six pages there has been no proof to refute it.

It is very, very sad that you actually think that your complete lack of "proof" has proved anything.

Quote:You guys claim it's your attraction that signifies your sexual preference, be it gay, straight or bi, yet you say the actual act of sex does not. Keeping that statement in mind, I'd like to know how many times you have sex, or even think about having sex, with someone who you are not attracted to, even remotely.

Sex usually doesn't take place without some level of attraction. I'm not attracted to men, therefore I'll never have sex with one, nor will I ever have sex with a woman who I do not find attractive.

You can do whatever you want physically... and yes for most people they will act on things they like more, and wouldn't have sex with someone they don't find attractive. I said that five times.

But that's not the point!

PHYSICALLY YOU COULD. ITS POSSIBLE. Its not like because you aren't attracted to them you can't do it... as Darunia crudely explained. Its certainly physically possible... but if you aren't attracted to them in any way YOU ARE NOT A HOMOSEXUAL! JUST like you still wouldn't be attracted to a woman you aren't attracted to after having sex with them... no difference at all.

It just means you had sex... which physically means a lot, but mentally? It only effects your state of mind... not anything wired into your brain chemistry...

And as I've also said multiple times, there is a difference between someone living a homosexual lifestyle and someone who is, physically, a homosexual. The former could convince themselves they are gay, but in the right cirumstances would realize that they aren't... and if that is the case then they aren't really gay, they just either think they are or are acting like one. I make a difference there, You don't, but I do...

Oh, I give up... this is pointless. If explaining my opinion, in detail, multiple times fails to get anything other than you saying "but you said x" when I said that x is not the case... :(

This is sooo gay - alien space marine - 11th June 2003

ABF , That is incredibly full of shit , If you get a errection and put your dick in a another mans ass your a therefore gay. Bisexual to the very least which doesnt require attraction.

Same with Women , if you frenched kissed another girl or played with sex toys with each other or both means your a Dyke.

Thats like saying if you decided to stick heroine into yourself once in a while your not really a drug abuser.

Its also like saying if you had sex just everynow and again your still a virgin.

Or how about dressing up like a drag queen every now again,yet you still say your not a transvestite.

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 11th June 2003

Is it actually putting your dick in a man's ass that makes you gay, or your thoughts! It's obviously your compulsions, and the desire...if you do something but don't want to, you're not compulsed...you're not gay unless you knowingly buttfucked a gay because your wanted to buttfuck a guy!

This is sooo gay - Nintendarse - 11th June 2003

ABF, while I usually side with you on this issue, I think it's getting a bit silly, but I know what you mean. I think what he's trying to say is: (assuming the male perspective)

Just as having sex with a woman does not make you irrevocably straight, having sex with a man does not make you irrevocably gay.

There are several instances of men who sleep around with girls all throughout high school and end up finding that they have more urges directed toward males. This person is gay. Because of the slant of society, a person that sleeps with guys for a while and finds that he is more attracted to females is also considered gay.

Is it a double standard? Absolutely. The second person should be considered straight. But is that ever going to happen? No.

Weltall, I think it's premature to end this. You still haven't adressed my main points. In fact, you've continuously ignored them. You try to simplify the issue into some 2-sided game and declare a "winner." Are you the most objective judge, and does this really have only two sides? I think the answer is "no." on both counts. The definition of gay is not the issue, as you point out. So let's get back to the issue.

When we left off...

Weltall states that everyone has varying levels of homosexual and heterosexual urges.

To which I pointed out that it seems we are going toward some kind of population distribution curve. If so, is it so hard to believe that at the extremes of this curve are people that have a majority of homosexual urges?

In addition, I asked why it is better or more natural to follow one type of urge while repressing the other. Weltall responded, "Because acting on them is acting against your nature. Homosexual urges are a sign of sexual immaturity." To which I said, "huh?" Due to Weltall's previous posts, I assume that by nature he means that it is natural to have sex to make babies. If the "naturalness" or "goodness" of sex is judged upon its ability to create children, what makes homosexual sex any different from, say, heterosexual sex with contraception?

Finally, I wish to question the black and whiteness of choice. Aren't there different levels of choice in life? For example:

(guesstimates, with each varying for different people)

0 choice-genetics. You're African American or you're not. You have blue eyes or you don't. There's no choice.

20% choice-throwing up. Your body is pretty sure when it wants to throw up, but there is a small amount of psychological control.

30% (maybe less) chemical dependencies- drugs actually mess with the chemicals and mechanics in your brain. When you're missing the chemical, you get incredibly sick and crave the chemical. However, people have been able to get off drugs (usually not without help) so I put it in the 30% range.

40% breathing- your body controls breathing automatically unless you happen to think about it. In this case, you can affect your breathing, and even try to stop breathing altogether. But try as you may, you cannot suffocate yourself simply by thinking hard. You'd pass out and your body would regain 100% control of breathing.

50% choice- eating-Yes, your body tells you that you should eat, but you will survive much after your stomach begins to gurgle. As you go from hunger to starvation, this number drops significantly.

80%(maybe higher) choice- starting to use a drug. You are psychologically attracted to do things with your friends, but there is no biologically compelling factor. This number goes down if you're drunk/high.

90% choice- Ice cream flavor. It's basically choice, but sometimes you're craving your favorite flavor. What makes one flavor better than the other? Taste buds/subconscious memory. That's the ten percent that's out of your hands.

99% choice- Adult Political belief. I say "Adult" because children's opinions are highly influenced by their parents. By the time someone is an adult, they've thought quite a bit about politics. Yet upbringing is out of your hands, which accounts for the .1%

So where does sexual attraction fit on this scale? Personally, I'd put it around 10% (maybe less). It's all pretty much subconscious/hormonal. You don't really choose when you get an erection.

Sexual action, on the other hand, I'd put up around 85%. While people can rarely effect what arouses them, they can control what they do about it. But as many teenagers can attest to, there are many times when you just HAVE to get off. This of course varies person-to-person, gets lower if you're drunk/high, and gets higher as you age.

This is sooo gay - alien space marine - 11th June 2003

Lets put it this way , normal hetrosexuals dont have sex with other men ,While some gays try the hetro thing to fit in but it doesnt work for them .

Unless someone forced you at gun point to do it with another man you are otherwise gay!

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 11th June 2003

Quote:ABF, while I usually side with you on this issue, I think it's getting a bit silly, but I know what you mean. I think what he's trying to say is: (assuming the male perspective)

What do you mean?

What I see is that I don't see anything in your post I disagree with...

Quote:There are several instances of men who sleep around with girls all throughout high school and end up finding that they have more urges directed toward males. This person is gay. Because of the slant of society, a person that sleeps with guys for a while and finds that he is more attracted to females is also considered gay.

Is it a double standard? Absolutely. The second person should be considered straight. But is that ever going to happen? No.

That is exactly what I've been trying to say, with no success.

I don't think you'll have any more, unfortunately... when you are closed to looking at facts, I'd never expect you (the other side...) to suddenly look at them.

Its really odd. Normally in these discussions I can see twisted logic behind their positions, but on this one I see none at all... nonsensical or not. It just makes no sense whatsoever... until of course you change the definition of 'gay' to the one Weltall uses. But that one is biologically incorrect, so it would be stupid to do that... and using reality, its impossible for me to say how anyone could say that you are gay by any other means than who you find attractive... and it is possible to sleep with people who you don't find attractive, as Nintendarse says here. But I don't expect you to ever understand... you have proven to be remarkably closeminded. :(

Quote:So where does sexual attraction fit on this scale? Personally, I'd put it around 10% (maybe less). It's all pretty much subconscious/hormonal. You don't really choose when you get an erection.

Sexual action, on the other hand, I'd put up around 85%. While people can rarely effect what arouses them, they can control what they do about it. But as many teenagers can attest to, there are many times when you just HAVE to get off. This of course varies person-to-person, gets lower if you're drunk/high, and gets higher as you age.

But can't you always control your actions? Sure sometimes things happen but almost always because of other choices you made... I'd say its higher than 85%. Not 100, obviously... and it is true that many people just don't want to try to resist those things... but that's a choice too.

As for homosexuality, 10%'s not bad because environment and upbrining might have some influence, but you have very, very little, really no, control over it.

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 11th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I'd never "conceed defeat" to someone as obviously wrong about the issue as you are, Weltall... if you honestly think that you have "proven" anything and that we lack any proof you are doing your usual and ... creatively ... interpreting the facts as seen here.

The problem is, you are not right about this issue. Some of the things you say are so ridiculous that I can't see how you can say them and believe them.

Quote:Er, can you show how I've changed my position in any way?

Didn't think so. I haven't. I don't understand how homosexuality in prisons proves anything other than bad people in a desperate situation will do anything, and that sure doesn't alter any of MY opinions... but as I said earlier, it puts yours into serious doubt.

Where you truly slipped was on the prison issue. You started off by saying that homosexuality is a strictly rigid genetic affair that people had practically no control over. When I pointed out prison sex to you, which proved beyond doubt that there in fact was control over it, you start trying to tell me that sexuality has nothing to do with homosexuality, and that straight men can be gay for a minute if they use their imagination... which is even more laughably ridiculous than everything else you've stumbled through in this topic. To cover that one, you then completely redefine homosexuality, telling me that sexuality has nothing to do with it because your sexual preference was determined only by your attraction to someone, and a straight man can be gay if circumstances permit, which is true because it completely disproves the myth that genetics have anything to do with homosexuality.

Game, set, match.

Quote:I mean, if it were really "choice" wouldn't those people still be "gay" when they get out of prison?

Yet I don't hear of them being any more a homosexual when they leave than when they go in. Hmm... wonder why? Rolleyes

Have there been any studies on this matter? I mean, I don't expect you to actually find any since you seem to hate actually proving anything, but regardless, they're already gay if they've had gay sex.

Here's the little fact that you cannot disprove on the matter. I'll make it very easy to see:

You cannot have sex without some level of attraction to someone. And you definitely cannot suck a dick or have one shoved in your rear-end and imagine that it's a woman behind you. You MUST enjoy this on some level if you are willing to have it done to you. Therefore, anyone who does this is gay. After all, if a man gives a blowjob, he will not experience orgasm at all from that, therefore ANY man who does so is gay because they cannot even use the excuse of having to get off, as sucking a dick will not do that for the one doing the sucking.

The other invariable fact is that if a person has the urge to blow their load, they can masturbate. It does that just as well as intercourse. Those that resort to homosexual intercourse in prisons are homosexuals.

I hope you got all that. I know you're so fucking hard-headed that none of it makes sense to you, but whether you accept it or not doesn't change the fact that it validates my stance and invalidates yours.

Quote:As I've said since the beginning, its a genetic thing, mostly. Maybe there is some environmental things related to it (lots of things affect the mind) but like most mind-related things its probably either genetic or some deformity or alteration or something... not sure of course but its something like that. That means that the only people who are that are the ones in that group... no matter how they or anyone else act.

I know you've been saying that since the beginning. You've offered no proof to it except your own opinions, and most of them have been negated by simple psychology and biology.

Quote:I said all along that actions are irrelevant in the issue of homosexuality. How is it that when I say that for like the five hundredth time I'm suddenly contradicting myself? Huh? I just don't understand where this "sudden change" happened, in any way, related to any aspect of this issue.

I can't believe you expect anyone to believe that sexuality has nothing to do with homosexuality. Please, tell me I'm reading this right. Tell me that I'm mistaking you and that you aren't a world-class moron.

"Sex has nothing to do with sex". Now you see why I say this debate is over? You're resorting to sheer stupidity now, and it's becoming a chore to even read it.

Quote:And its not a "state of mind!" unless you mean a 'state of mind' like any mental thing you have no control over as opposed to something you choose... but "state of mind" sounds like your definition of homosexuality, and makes no sense. But you probably meant it that way...

Okay now. Sexual preference isn't a matter of physical action, and it's not a state of mind. What is it then? If it's not physical or mental, it doesn't exist. Again, come back from the realm of the ridiculous, you're making an ass of yourself.

Quote:It is very, very sad that you actually think that your complete lack of "proof" has proved anything.

If anything, your asanine statements have proved my points as well as any proof I've offered.

Quote:You can do whatever you want physically... and yes for most people they will act on things they like more, and wouldn't have sex with someone they don't find attractive. I said that five times.

But that's not the point!

PHYSICALLY YOU COULD. ITS POSSIBLE. Its not like because you aren't attracted to them you can't do it... as Darunia crudely explained. Its certainly physically possible... but if you aren't attracted to them in any way YOU ARE NOT A HOMOSEXUAL! JUST like you still wouldn't be attracted to a woman you aren't attracted to after having sex with them... no difference at all.

It just means you had sex... which physically means a lot, but mentally? It only effects your state of mind... not anything wired into your brain chemistry...

It's possible, that I never denied. BUT WHO THE HELL EVER HAS SEX WITH SOMEONE THEY FIND REPULSIVE!? Who is going to be SO desperate for an orgasm that they will forgo simple and easy masturbation in order to go against both their own attractions, preferences and morals and get a nut off by having sex with someone they would normally not touch with a ten-foot pole? If that even happens, it's such an extreme rarity that it is irrelevant! Those that participate in such activities are doing it either because they outright enjoy it or it doesn't bother them enough to NOT do it, and either method of thinking combined with gay sex makes a person gay, ESPECIALLY if they do it more than once!

Quote:And as I've also said multiple times, there is a difference between someone living a homosexual lifestyle and someone who is, physically, a homosexual. The former could convince themselves they are gay, but in the right cirumstances would realize that they aren't... and if that is the case then they aren't really gay, they just either think they are or are acting like one. I make a difference there, You don't, but I do...

There are differences between those two categories, but the major similarity, the one thing linking them is that they are BOTH homosexual.

Quote:Oh, I give up... this is pointless. If explaining my opinion, in detail, multiple times fails to get anything other than you saying "but you said x" when I said that x is not the case... :( [/B]

I agree, your contribution to this thread has been largely pointless, because you have an opinion that is scientifically wrong, and you resort to comically ridiculous explanations to back them up. Arguing is pointless because your opinion is wrong. :(

Quote:When we left off...

Weltall states that everyone has varying levels of homosexual and heterosexual urges.

To which I pointed out that it seems we are going toward some kind of population distribution curve. If so, is it so hard to believe that at the extremes of this curve are people that have a majority of homosexual urges?

That may or may not be true. I believe that heterosexual urges make up a majority by simple biology: sex is inherently an act of reproduction and the rest is candy.

I believe that the urges are truly not defined either way personally, and whether they are heterosexual or not is most likely attributed to a person's way of thinking. As I don't believe a person is genetically or biologically either straight or gay, their sexual urges are only interpreted either way, based mostly on environment. I think most people are in a situation where they will have urges of both types, for example a teenage boy might have a homosexual urge while showering in a highschool gym with other guys. I think ANY person can have that. I also think that if that teenage boy were in a shower full of girls, that same urge would be there, though obviously of a different nature. Both biology and societal interaction will likely ensure that this boy would much rather be with Molly McPanties than Joey Jockstrap, but to a teenage boy in the iron grip of puberty, the sight of naked guys will also probably intrigue him as well, and then he'll probably ponder it repeatedly for awhile and convince himself one way or another which he finds more stimulating. He might even have to experiement with both first, but over time he will come to a conclusion, that he's straight or gay.

ABF believes that you are born with this choice made for you. I do not believe that because it just makes no sense. If it were genetic such mental anguish would not occur like it does. You would always like either guys or women, there would be no deviation in that attraction, and thus no internal mental conflict.

Quote:In addition, I asked why it is better or more natural to follow one type of urge while repressing the other. Weltall responded, "Because acting on them is acting against your nature. Homosexual urges are a sign of sexual immaturity." To which I said, "huh?" Due to Weltall's previous posts, I assume that by nature he means that it is natural to have sex to make babies. If the "naturalness" or "goodness" of sex is judged upon its ability to create children, what makes homosexual sex any different from, say, heterosexual sex with contraception?
[/quote]

The similarities between homo and hetero sex are the orgasm. It's true that contraceptives eliminate the reproduction factor in heterosexuality, however, the reason men are instinctively attracted to women is the reproductive factor. Even if you circumvent the actual reproductive process, you still have that attraction, and reproduction is the reason that attraction exists in nature.

Then of course, there's the fact that while no homosexual sex act can produce children, many heterosexual acts do, and the intent to have a child is always a factor as well. Therefore, one is definitely more natural than the other.

Quote:Finally, I wish to question the black and whiteness of choice. Aren't there different levels of choice in life? For example:

(guesstimates, with each varying for different people)

0 choice-genetics. You're African American or you're not. You have blue eyes or you don't. There's no choice.

20% choice-throwing up. Your body is pretty sure when it wants to throw up, but there is a small amount of psychological control.

30% (maybe less) chemical dependencies- drugs actually mess with the chemicals and mechanics in your brain. When you're missing the chemical, you get incredibly sick and crave the chemical. However, people have been able to get off drugs (usually not without help) so I put it in the 30% range.

40% breathing- your body controls breathing automatically unless you happen to think about it. In this case, you can affect your breathing, and even try to stop breathing altogether. But try as you may, you cannot suffocate yourself simply by thinking hard. You'd pass out and your body would regain 100% control of breathing.

50% choice- eating-Yes, your body tells you that you should eat, but you will survive much after your stomach begins to gurgle. As you go from hunger to starvation, this number drops significantly.

80%(maybe higher) choice- starting to use a drug. You are psychologically attracted to do things with your friends, but there is no biologically compelling factor. This number goes down if you're drunk/high.

90% choice- Ice cream flavor. It's basically choice, but sometimes you're craving your favorite flavor. What makes one flavor better than the other? Taste buds/subconscious memory. That's the ten percent that's out of your hands.

99% choice- Adult Political belief. I say "Adult" because children's opinions are highly influenced by their parents. By the time someone is an adult, they've thought quite a bit about politics. Yet upbringing is out of your hands, which accounts for the .1%

So where does sexual attraction fit on this scale? Personally, I'd put it around 10% (maybe less). It's all pretty much subconscious/hormonal. You don't really choose when you get an erection.

I agree for the most part, except the sexual attraction. Let me explain why.

If you mean the simple act of having sexual attraction, then yes, I agree completely, and would score that a definite 100%. People have sexual urges and no one can really deny them. However, I do believe that we choose who we are attracted to. I can say with complete certainty that there are no guys who attract me. I can say with equal certainty that certain women attract me and certain women do not. I can also say that I've been attracted to some women and later lost that attraction for varied reasons. Sexual attraction is something that I think is quite narrow at any given point but I also think it's subject to rapid change over the course of time. Some girls I found attractive in high school I wouldn't even give the time of day to now. You can lose sexual interest in someone for any number of reasons, just like you can suddenly become attracted to a person who you knew for years and never gave a second thought about. It's not a matter of mere uncontrollable animal instinct. It's also, and I believe primarily, a matter of preference, and I know from experience that my preference in women has shifted wildly ever since I can remember.

Because of this, I do believe that particular sexual attraction is a definite choice, not always conscious, but often is. Raw sexual urges, absolutely not. But if you add any particulars to the equation, it dramatically shifts toward choice.

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 11th June 2003

At the risk of being deemed many bad names, I would like to suggest that people SHORTEN THEIR FUCKING POSTS! I for one won't read a goddamn novel like that. You must've spent over an hour on that piece of work, Welty.

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 11th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
At the risk of being deemed many bad names, I would like to suggest that people SHORTEN THEIR FUCKING POSTS! I for one won't read a goddamn novel like that. You must've spent over an hour on that piece of work, Welty.

I know, I hate it too, but there's so much to respond to after a whole day, and sometimes it just takes a while to say what needs to be said.

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 11th June 2003

Quote: At the risk of being deemed many bad names, I would like to suggest that people SHORTEN THEIR FUCKING POSTS! I for one won't read a goddamn novel like that. You must've spent over an hour on that piece of work, Welty.

No, we actually like covering subjects in depth. Bye.

Quote:Because of this, I do believe that particular sexual attraction is a definite choice, not always conscious, but often is. Raw sexual urges, absolutely not. But if you add any particulars to the equation, it dramatically shifts toward choice.

Uh, this undermines your entire case... given that to homosexuals, those 'raw sexual urges?' that are 'absolutely not' a choice are towards the other gender. :)

That was a great quote, Weltall... I agree with it! :)

Quote:Where you truly slipped was on the prison issue. You started off by saying that homosexuality is a strictly rigid genetic affair that people had practically no control over. When I pointed out prison sex to you, which proved beyond doubt that there in fact was control over it, you start trying to tell me that sexuality has nothing to do with homosexuality, and that straight men can be gay for a minute if they use their imagination... which is even more laughably ridiculous than everything else you've stumbled through in this topic. To cover that one, you then completely redefine homosexuality, telling me that sexuality has nothing to do with it because your sexual preference was determined only by your attraction to someone, and a straight man can be gay if circumstances permit, which is true because it completely disproves the myth that genetics have anything to do with homosexuality.

Game, set, match.

I cannot even begin to understand how you even remotely think this proves your case. I've said, in depth, about three times now, how your position makes no sense at all... all you do, though, is restate it and not actually talk about any points I made. So I won't bother rewriting the same thing with new words for a fourth time.

Oh, fine. I NEVER CHANGED ANY OPINIONS. NOT ONE. Why do you insist that anything changed? It is truly bizarre... because I know what I think, and I've thought this way from the beginning. I've always said that its genetics. And that who you have sexual relations with doesn't affect that at all. This is just saying that again. So where did my opinion change at all? Confused

And as for saying that it is impossible for a straight man to have sexual relations with other men...

Quote:
Quote:There are several instances of men who sleep around with girls all throughout high school and end up finding that they have more urges directed toward males. This person is gay. Because of the slant of society, a person that sleeps with guys for a while and finds that he is more attracted to females is also considered gay.

That is exactly what I've been trying to say, with no success.

I don't think you'll have any more, unfortunately... when you are closed to looking at facts, I'd never expect you (the other side...) to suddenly look at them.

Its really odd. Normally in these discussions I can see twisted logic behind their positions, but on this one I see none at all... nonsensical or not. It just makes no sense whatsoever... until of course you change the definition of 'gay' to the one Weltall uses. But that one is biologically incorrect, so it would be stupid to do that... and using reality, its impossible for me to say how anyone could say that you are gay by any other means than who you find attractive... and it is possible to sleep with people who you don't find attractive, as Nintendarse says here. But I don't expect you to ever understand... you have proven to be remarkably closeminded.

Though I expect you to laugh it off again, since you do not understand the fundamentals of the issue, and don't want to. You are just basing your arguments on a fundamentally flawed thesis, which you will absolutely stick to forever... so this argument is quite pointless. You will never even begin to think of looking at "reality". Its too scary for you to consider, that's for sure!

Quote:I know you've been saying that since the beginning. You've offered no proof to it except your own opinions, and most of them have been negated by simple psychology and biology.

Since you don't consider everything I've ever heard from homosexuals from whatever source (TV, article, etc...) as proof. They are just deluded that they know (and in most cases always have known, from puberty) that they could never love women, of course. But based on previous arguments I expect that from you... calling lack of proof and ignoring proof as lies... like usual.

Quote:I can't believe you expect anyone to believe that sexuality has nothing to do with homosexuality. Please, tell me I'm reading this right. Tell me that I'm mistaking you and that you aren't a world-class moron.

"Sex has nothing to do with sex". Now you see why I say this debate is over? You're resorting to sheer stupidity now, and it's becoming a chore to even read it.

It doesn't.

Quote:Okay now. Sexual preference isn't a matter of physical action, and it's not a state of mind. What is it then? If it's not physical or mental, it doesn't exist. Again, come back from the realm of the ridiculous, you're making an ass of yourself.

can we spell
b-i-o-l-o-g-i-c-a-l-.-.-.
?

Quote:It's possible, that I never denied. BUT WHO THE HELL EVER HAS SEX WITH SOMEONE THEY FIND REPULSIVE!? Who is going to be SO desperate for an orgasm that they will forgo simple and easy masturbation in order to go against both their own attractions, preferences and morals and get a nut off by having sex with someone they would normally not touch with a ten-foot pole? If that even happens, it's such an extreme rarity that it is irrelevant! Those that participate in such activities are doing it either because they outright enjoy it or it doesn't bother them enough to NOT do it, and either method of thinking combined with gay sex makes a person gay, ESPECIALLY if they do it more than once!

Repulsive? Unless that's just about ugly people, I'd say that that's your homophobia talking... There's a diffrence between "not attracted to" and "find repulsive". Of course its POSSIBLE for you to do it with repulsive people, but I don't see why anyone would...

Quote:There are differences between those two categories, but the major similarity, the one thing linking them is that they are BOTH homosexual.

No, the second group quite definitely isn't.

Quote:I agree, your contribution to this thread has been largely pointless, because you have an opinion that is scientifically wrong, and you resort to comically ridiculous explanations to back them up. Arguing is pointless because your opinion is wrong.

I find it comical that you you actually think that you have the slightest shred of scientific proof on your side.

Quote:ABF believes that you are born with this choice made for you. I do not believe that because it just makes no sense. If it were genetic such mental anguish would not occur like it does. You would always like either guys or women, there would be no deviation in that attraction, and thus no internal mental conflict.

If not for society being as it is, that's exactly how it would be. No question. But society ... doesn't work that way .... So its the way it is... which is too bad.

Quote:The similarities between homo and hetero sex are the orgasm. It's true that contraceptives eliminate the reproduction factor in heterosexuality, however, the reason men are instinctively attracted to women is the reproductive factor. Even if you circumvent the actual reproductive process, you still have that attraction, and reproduction is the reason that attraction exists in nature.

Then of course, there's the fact that while no homosexual sex act can produce children, many heterosexual acts do, and the intent to have a child is always a factor as well. Therefore, one is definitely more natural than the other.

So "natural" means "only the most normal form of anything"? So no variation in genetics is "natural"? I'd say that anything in genetics is natural as long as we haven't modified it... not as common, often, but no less natural. Unless by natural you mean 'normal', but that's not how I'd define the word. Natural means its by nature, and not by nurture -- ie from genes. So genetic diseases are natural, but rare and unpleasant. Same with genetic or other alterations that lead to other things, like homosexuality and (maybe) left-handedness, etc, etc...

Its a genetic change. Obviously its not normal -- it wouldn't help a species if lots of people saw the same gender as attractive, for sure. But that doesn't mean that they have control over it... no more than people with genetic diseases have control over their hemophelia, or whatever.

Quote:If you mean the simple act of having sexual attraction, then yes, I agree completely, and would score that a definite 100%. People have sexual urges and no one can really deny them. However, I do believe that we choose who we are attracted to. I can say with complete certainty that there are no guys who attract me. I can say with equal certainty that certain women attract me and certain women do not. I can also say that I've been attracted to some women and later lost that attraction for varied reasons. Sexual attraction is something that I think is quite narrow at any given point but I also think it's subject to rapid change over the course of time. Some girls I found attractive in high school I wouldn't even give the time of day to now. You can lose sexual interest in someone for any number of reasons, just like you can suddenly become attracted to a person who you knew for years and never gave a second thought about. It's not a matter of mere uncontrollable animal instinct. It's also, and I believe primarily, a matter of preference, and I know from experience that my preference in women has shifted wildly ever since I can remember.

You choose who you are attracted to? Really? I'd say that genetics choose it for you...

Or is that what you meant? I'm really not sure... 100% sexual attraction? On that scale that means that sexual attraction is 100% choice and 0% instinct or whatever... that's clearly wrong.

This is sooo gay - Nintendarse - 12th June 2003

I was talking purely about the sexual attraction. The thing that gives you an erection at the moment you get it. Do you have much of any control over what gives you an erection? Talking from personal and anecdotal experience, it seems the choice factor is close to 0.

This is sooo gay - alien space marine - 12th June 2003

Many inmates buy porn , it helps them out .

But I remeber hearing a guy do a presentation at our school on how not to get in jail. He said people are willing to offer sexual favours in exchange for drugs and Booze.

Now if you are willing to suck another man cock for some booze or weed then you are Gay , Normal Hetrosexuals would rather comit suicide then do that. Clearly these men are either really desperate or Gay.

Same goes for Girl on girl , Suck another girls tit can be the same as doing a blow job.

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 12th June 2003

I'm going to try this again. I had a nice response all typed up when Nutscrape froze. Fucking Nutscrape :supermad:

[quote]Uh, this undermines your entire case... given that to homosexuals, those 'raw sexual urges?' that are 'absolutely not' a choice are towards the other gender. :)

That was a great quote, Weltall... I agree with it! :)

You agree with your own misinterpretation of it. Raw sexual urges are the type that you're born with, I.E. the very urge to have sex. That's all you're born with. You acquire the urge to have sex with whatever later in life, and that's when sexual urge is no longer raw.

Quote:I cannot even begin to understand how you even remotely think this proves your case. I've said, in depth, about three times now, how your position makes no sense at all... all you do, though, is restate it and not actually talk about any points I made. So I won't bother rewriting the same thing with new words for a fourth time.

Is that a promise??? PLEASE SAY YES :love:

Quote:Oh, fine. I NEVER CHANGED ANY OPINIONS. NOT ONE. Why do you insist that anything changed? It is truly bizarre... because I know what I think, and I've thought this way from the beginning. I've always said that its genetics. And that who you have sexual relations with doesn't affect that at all. This is just saying that again. So where did my opinion change at all? Confused

You changed the definition of sexuality to support your argument. At first you claimed it was a sexual mutation of genetics or whatever, now it's a state of mind that you're born with, which also somehow is genetic. The fact that such a thing is scientifically impossible doesn't stop you from making an ass of yourself.

Quote:And as for saying that it is impossible for a straight man to have sexual relations with other men...

Oh sure, homosexuals can have straight sex and vice-versa. I have always believed that and never said anything to the contrary, except when I applied your own argument to it. If sexuality were genetic, there'd be no way to circumvent it. I believe it can be, and is circumvented because there are no genetics to get in the way. It's your own argument you're shooting down here.

Quote:I don't think you'll have any more, unfortunately... when you are closed to looking at facts, I'd never expect you (the other side...) to suddenly look at them.

You want proof? Here's a bunch for you. Most of them are based on the same issue, that issue being that homosexuality is most likely not a genetic flaw, and even if it is, scientists have discovered only one major bit of evidence of it, evidence that was disproven in 1999.

Now, I know you won't return the favor by finding proof to the contrary, both because you are lazy and because there really isn't much out there, but do you at least have the arrogant stupidity to disprove these findings with your faulty opinions? I like a good laugh, but it's getting old.

I found all these on Yahoo by typing in 'gay gene'. I was amazed by how an overwhelming majority of the articles listed were in opposition to homosexual being a genetic thing. And, to be fair, I left out articles posted by Christian and other conservative-themed organizations. Enjoy.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/gaygene990422.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/325979.stm
http://www.stonewallrevisited.com/issues/gene.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/genetics/
http://www.petertatchell.net/gay%20gene/gene%20genie.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s22814.htm
http://www.apres-coup.org/Papers/ONierenberg-GayGene.htm
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/genomics/2002/Pierce/gaygene.htm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=28505
http://www.tennessean.com/sii/health/99/04/24/gay24.shtml
http://www.gene-watch.org/programs/privacy/gene-sexuality.html

In fact, all that I've been able to find SUPPORTING your theory are the much-maligned studies of Dean Hamer and Simon LeVay, and a few vitriolic hypotheses. As it stands right now, the likelihood of a gay gene is very low, and for you to stand here and claim it as 'fact' only serves to show everyone how wrong your thinking is. The fact is that the chance of there being a gay gene is practically nil, and even on the off-chance it exists, no scientist has ever shown any conclusive proof to it's existence. Therefore, it goes without saying that your entire argument is based on nothing but oft-disproven research from ten years ago that you probably didn't even know about.

Quote:Its really odd. Normally in these discussions I can see twisted logic behind their positions, but on this one I see none at all... nonsensical or not. It just makes no sense whatsoever... until of course you change the definition of 'gay' to the one Weltall uses. But that one is biologically incorrect, so it would be stupid to do that... and using reality, its impossible for me to say how anyone could say that you are gay by any other means than who you find attractive... and it is possible to sleep with people who you don't find attractive, as Nintendarse says here. But I don't expect you to ever understand... you have proven to be remarkably closeminded.

It's possible, that I know. It just doesn't happen. It's possible someone may be sexually attracted to a beer can. That doesn't mean it ever happens. Except in the most incredibly unlikely scenarios, you are not going to have sex with someone who you do not find attractive on any level. If you find homosexuality a repulsive idea, you will NOT have gay sex.

Of course, your argument would have to raise the question of how many gays are really gay, and how many are doing it only to fit in with the lifestyle? How many of them are having sex with guys while not being attracted to them, eh?

Quote:Though I expect you to laugh it off again, since you do not understand the fundamentals of the issue, and don't want to. You are just basing your arguments on a fundamentally flawed thesis, which you will absolutely stick to forever... so this argument is quite pointless. You will never even begin to think of looking at "reality". Its too scary for you to consider, that's for sure!

No sir, my opinion is based on scientific fact, as proven above. It is yours that is based on disproven theories and your own liberal passions.

Quote:Since you don't consider everything I've ever heard from homosexuals from whatever source (TV, article, etc...) as proof. They are just deluded that they know (and in most cases always have known, from puberty) that they could never love women, of course. But based on previous arguments I expect that from you... calling lack of proof and ignoring proof as lies... like usual.

No, I don't accept your hearsay as proof, because you are very rarely correct on anything. You've offered no proof, no sources of information, nothing. You are simply reciting the tired old homosexual politics, which science does not agree with.

Quote:Can we spell
b-i-o-l-o-g-i-c-a-l-.-.-.
?

Biology is physical, you moron.

Quote:Repulsive? Unless that's just about ugly people, I'd say that that's your homophobia talking... There's a diffrence between "not attracted to" and "find repulsive". Of course its POSSIBLE for you to do it with repulsive people, but I don't see why anyone would...
I do in fact refer to ugly people, but repulsion is on the same tier as unattractive. The difference is that repulsion is very strong unattraction.

And my point is that no one does have sex with people they find repulsive, and I can't think of anyone who has sex with people they find unnattractive unless there's an ulterior motive involved.

Quote:No, the second group quite definitely isn't.

How is physical homosexuality not homosexuality? Why does mental attraction control this when physical attraction have nothing to do with it? Again, I can't see how you could say this without laughing at how retarded it sounds.

Quote:I find it comical that you you actually think that you have the slightest shred of scientific proof on your side.

That's okay, it's probably how you cope with being painfully wrong.

Quote:If not for society being as it is, that's exactly how it would be. No question. But society ... doesn't work that way .... So its the way it is... which is too bad.

It doesn't happen that way because it's not ingrained in a person to be that way. It's not impossible to change your sexual orientation. Remember Anne Heche, Ellen DeGeneres' lesbian lover? She turned straight and seems to be enjoying it.

Quote:So "natural" means "only the most normal form of anything"? So no variation in genetics is "natural"? I'd say that anything in genetics is natural as long as we haven't modified it... not as common, often, but no less natural. Unless by natural you mean 'normal', but that's not how I'd define the word. Natural means its by nature, and not by nurture -- ie from genes. So genetic diseases are natural, but rare and unpleasant. Same with genetic or other alterations that lead to other things, like homosexuality and (maybe) left-handedness, etc, etc...

But there's no evidence homosexuality is genetic, so it really doesn't matter what the deal with genetic defects are :)

Quote:Its a genetic change. Obviously its not normal -- it wouldn't help a species if lots of people saw the same gender as attractive, for sure. But that doesn't mean that they have control over it... no more than people with genetic diseases have control over their hemophelia, or whatever.

If that were true, even if it were genetic, bisexuality would disprove it. Those people are attracted to either. Genetics don't stop them at all.

Quote:You choose who you are attracted to? Really? I'd say that genetics choose it for you...

Well, you've been completely wrong so far, so no reason to stop, I suppose.

Quote:Or is that what you meant? I'm really not sure... 100% sexual attraction? On that scale that means that sexual attraction is 100% choice and 0% instinct or whatever... that's clearly wrong. [/B]

I said that you can't control HAVING sexual urges. You can control who you have them for. If you think it's impossible to convince yourself that a person is unattractive, you are sadly mistaken. Attraction isn't just purely sexual, and though that's just common sense, it's something that apparently has evaded you. You will likely not be attracted to someone who doesn't bathe themselves, or is fat or ugly, even though they are in the gender you're attracted to. I believe gender is not a catalyst, it's just one of those many factors that help determine whether a person is attractive to you. And if you're going to try and tell me that the odd person who is attracted to fat or ugly people is attracted to them because of a genetic trait, I'll tell you not to post in this thread again because you're just wasting my time.

I can't help but also wonder why you are in favor of discrimination against obese people, when it's a known and recorded fact that obesity is genetic, yet you're against discrimination against gays, when there is very little evidence that homosexuality is genetic. Hell, if we can punish fat people financially because of the drain they put on our healthcare system, we should do it to homosexuals too, as homosexuals widely carry HIV and AIDS and cause a similar drain on healthcare systems.

This is sooo gay - OB1 - 12th June 2003

But it's perfectly acceptable to discriminate against fat people. That's the way our wonderful society works.

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 12th June 2003

Discrimination altogether should be phased out. Gays can't choose to be gar or not, nor can fat people...not their fault, why should they be hazed for it.

Fat people can't help being fat? That's not true. In some cases that is true, where people have very low metabolisms etc., but a lot of people are fat because of bad eating habits, lack of exercise, and just all-around laziness. But that doesn't mean that they should be discriminated against.

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Fat people can't help being fat? That's not true.

[Image: cap_181.jpg][Image: cap_190.jpg]
Nope, it's impossible. Fat guys can't change :(

Anyway, the paralells are easy to draw. As the first image shows, I was once a big man, and I know genetics had a role in that, but even though genetics made me more likely to be fat, they didn't make me fat. Getting fat was my own choice, and while I didn't choose to get fat, I did choose to eat the extra pizza and supersize my value meals.

Ergo, even if homosexuality were genetic, it's not an end-all. Genetics can be defeated.

My point is that while I don't condone discrimination against fat people, But, even though obesity is a genetic defect, I do not think obese people should be awarded special rights. Obese people are obese by their own will (or more accurately, their own lack of will). Homosexuality is not genetic, but even if it were, it is an individual's own choice to give into that defect, therefore gays deserve no special rights or protections.

That homosexuality is NOT genetic only strengthens my stance on the matter: Gay men and women do not deserve special rights or priveleges because they chose the lifestyle they chose.

I've said all that needs to be said. Unless some mysterious, heretofore unheard-of proof surfaces via ABF or Nintendarse, there's nothing more to be done in this thread. You can call me arrogant for saying so, but it doesn't change the fact. I state that homosexuality is not a genetic trait and as the current studies show, science agrees with me. Therefore, the debate is effectively over unless a new study proves otherwise.

Wha? You look thin in that second pic.

Wha? You look thin in that second pic.

....dur

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 12th June 2003

Poor Welty...you're not that fat in that pic...just festively plump!:)

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall
....dur

Hey you edited that post. Originally it just said "Nope, it's impossible. Fat guys can't change :( ".

This is sooo gay - Nintendarse - 12th June 2003

You're looking for proof in one direction when you fail to realize that there is no proof to support your opinion. I read 5 of those reports and none of them undoubtedly supported your claim that gayness is not genetically linked. In fact, I will quote one of your "sources."

Rice himself doesn’t discount the idea of a genetic link to homosexuality. He just doesn’t think Xq28 is the spot. “The search for genetic factors in homosexuality should continue,” he says, adding that he’s currently searching for other genes that could be linked to sexuality.

But where do these traits come from? Aren't they inherited?

We do not know yet. Some may be. Or rather, we do not know how much is inherited, and which elements are direct and which merely further associated and linked with other yet more fundamental traits. But you are getting the picture. That is how the research ought to proceed. It
is not necessarily that the traits that facilitate homosexuality are themselves bad; perhaps many are gifts. Athleticism is a generally good thing, and we think highly of people who satisfy their athletic impulses as, say, outstanding BBPs. Not so the fellow who merely becomes a thug.

None of the sources you point out seem to make any claim that, "The fact is that the chance of there being a gay gene is practically nil."

So, let's assume that being gay is genetic. What makes being gay any more of a defect than having brown hair? Or having blue eyes? Having darker skin tone? With obesity, it's clear. Obesity directly causes the individual to have adverse health consequences. With gayness, it's not clear. Nothing about gayness makes one biologically unhealthy. There is the "natural" argument, that it is the inherent nature of males to screw females for the survival of the species, but what makes animal homosexual behavior unnatural? Does God punish these animals? I mean, this is the same argument that slave owners had: being born black means that God hates you, it is a defect, and so you don't deserve the same rights as white people.

But there are some inherent questions that Weltall mentions. Regardless of how much it is a choice, should gay people have the same rights as straight people? To marry? To have consentual intercourse? To fight for the country? These are not "special" rights. These are simply rights that people take for granted.

Quote:Originally posted by Nintendarse
You're looking for proof in one direction when you fail to realize that there is no proof to support your opinion. I read 5 of those reports and none of them undoubtedly supported your claim that gayness is not genetically linked. In fact, I will quote one of your "sources."

[B]Rice himself doesn’t discount the idea of a genetic link to homosexuality. He just doesn’t think Xq28 is the spot. “The search for genetic factors in homosexuality should continue,” he says, adding that he’s currently searching for other genes that could be linked to sexuality.

But where do these traits come from? Aren't they inherited?

We do not know yet. Some may be. Or rather, we do not know how much is inherited, and which elements are direct and which merely further associated and linked with other yet more fundamental traits. But you are getting the picture. That is how the research ought to proceed. It
is not necessarily that the traits that facilitate homosexuality are themselves bad; perhaps many are gifts. Athleticism is a generally good thing, and we think highly of people who satisfy their athletic impulses as, say, outstanding BBPs. Not so the fellow who merely becomes a thug.

None of the sources you point out seem to make any claim that, "The fact is that the chance of there being a gay gene is practically nil."

So, let's assume that being gay is genetic. What makes being gay any more of a defect than having brown hair? Or having blue eyes? Having darker skin tone? With obesity, it's clear. Obesity directly causes the individual to have adverse health consequences. With gayness, it's not clear. Nothing about gayness makes one biologically unhealthy. There is the "natural" argument, that it is the inherent nature of males to screw females for the survival of the species, but what makes animal homosexual behavior unnatural? Does God punish these animals? I mean, this is the same argument that slave owners had: being born black means that God hates you, it is a defect, and so you don't deserve the same rights as white people.

But there are some inherent questions that Weltall mentions. Regardless of how much it is a choice, should gay people have the same rights as straight people? To marry? To have consentual intercourse? To fight for the country? These are not "special" rights. These are simply rights that people take for granted. [/B]

My claim is that it's not genetic. These sources mostly deal with the fact that there is no evidence to support genetic homosexuality. What part of that are you missing? The claim that it is genetic is unfounded. There is no credible evidence supporting such a theory. Thus, it cannot be passed as fact, or even remotely close. It's not to say that someday research may prove me wrong, it just seems pretty unlikely that will happen. These findings support my opinion by disproving yours. I mean, if you can find some scientific studies that prove it's genetic, I'm all eyes. Those sources are proof that there is no known genetic link, and that proves my point.

On the second note, I do not believe gay people deserve some of those rights by virtue of the choice they make. I do not believe in gay marriage, as marriage is an union between a man and a woman that creates a family, and is a very important thread in the fabric of society, and allowing homosexuals to participate in that tarnishes the morals upon which they were founded. I really do not care if they can fight or not (which is a special right actually, and discriminates based on sex and age, i.e. women cannot become combat soldiers, nor can people over the age limit).

Again, choices have consequences, and homosexuals should consider them before they adopt that lifestyle.

Hey you edited that post. Originally it just said "Nope, it's impossible. Fat guys can't change :( ".

Yeah... All I did was elaborated. That first line was sarcasm ;)

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 12th June 2003

First, Netscape is the best, and doesn't crash much. What did you do?

So, Weltall, you agree with the Catholic Church when it said that a man and woman who said they were not going to have children could not be married as catholics? Same thing as homosexuals!

Who cares about if they have children? And more to the point... who cares, since in many cases they adopt children? I can't see how they hurt anyone's morals. If they are happily married, and have children (or not, that's a purely personal decision), who are they hurting? How are they destroying world morality?

Oh yeah, radical rightwingers who are paranoid-homophobic. Right. Can't forget them!

Even if it wasn't a genetic thing (but was something else that causes it to happen that the affected person has absolutely no control over... since it is very, very obvious based on all the observation anyone has ever had that that's a fact...), I don't see how that would change anything.

Quote:“The vast majority of gay people will tell you that same-sex orientation is an innate part of who you are and is not changeable,

And those articles do show one thing: So far we have no definite proof of where, exactly, homosexuality comes from. We just don't know yet. All we have is what homosexuals can say... and what they can say, almost universally, is that it isn't something they decide, or they think about and choose, or anything of that nature. Its just something that, as they go through puberty, they slowly realize... it really is that simple. Of course because of our extremely homophobic society a lot of them deny it and hide it, which causes them a lot of problems later on, but that's not their fault... that's society's problem.

The fact that so far science is pretty much clueless doesn't mean you are right. True, it doesn't mean that its genetic either... but you can't use that as proof you are correct. And in the abscence of proof how it happens, I'd say that all of that about how gay people just KNOW (in most cases from the very beginning of puberty, they just don't realize it) is pretty important.

As for people who are living a homosexual lifestyle but could go and be with the other gender, either they are heterosexuals who for some reason are living the other lifestyle (curiosity? I have no idea why...), or they are bisexual. They are not homosexual, except to people with definitions of the word as twisted as yours.

Quote:that it is the inherent nature of males to screw females for the survival of the species, but what makes animal homosexual behavior unnatural?

I've brought this up multiple times before. Weltall has no real good answer for it (what is he going to say? That these animals have awareness and are smart enough to decide something like that? Er... NO!), so he pretty much ignores the point.

I was thinking of just leaving the quotes part alone... but just couldn't. :)

As usual I ignore the responses that are purely insults. Why must you spend so much time insulting me?

Quote:You agree with your own misinterpretation of it. Raw sexual urges are the type that you're born with, I.E. the very urge to have sex. That's all you're born with. You acquire the urge to have sex with whatever later in life, and that's when sexual urge is no longer raw.

I can't see any way you could believe that people can control to that degree who they find attractive. Somewhat... maybe. But not anywhere near the extent you are suggesting.

Quote:You changed the definition of sexuality to support your argument. At first you claimed it was a sexual mutation of genetics or whatever, now it's a state of mind that you're born with, which also somehow is genetic. The fact that such a thing is scientifically impossible doesn't stop you from making an ass of yourself.

I didn't change anything! It IS a genetic change or mutation or something! "state of mind" sounds like "i thought about it and my state of mind is now x" which is what YOU are saying, not me... what I'm saying is that its a genetic thing that you just ... realize ... at some point, generall puberty but sometimes later.

Quote:Oh sure, homosexuals can have straight sex and vice-versa. I have always believed that and never said anything to the contrary, except when I applied your own argument to it. If sexuality were genetic, there'd be no way to circumvent it. I believe it can be, and is circumvented because there are no genetics to get in the way. It's your own argument you're shooting down here.

But you said that if any heterosexual ever has sexual relations with any other man ever in their lives they are homosexual or bisexual, period... Confused

Quote:Biology is physical, you moron.

I guess, but you defined 'physical' as something else, which I don't really agree with. Its genetics, with probably some other factors involved as well. No one is sure what, exactly, but environment might play a small role. Not much of one, but maybe a small one. And only to people already predisposed towards it.

Quote:I do in fact refer to ugly people, but repulsion is on the same tier as unattractive. The difference is that repulsion is very strong unattraction.

And my point is that no one does have sex with people they find repulsive, and I can't think of anyone who has sex with people they find unnattractive unless there's an ulterior motive involved.

Did I ever say lots of heterosexuals do this? NO! I said few would! People generally don't kneep doing things when other ones provide a better alternative... but it is possible. Rare, I'd expect... but possible. I just don't see how you think that heterosexuals can physically not do such a thing.

Quote:How is physical homosexuality not homosexuality? Why does mental attraction control this when physical attraction have nothing to do with it? Again, I can't see how you could say this without laughing at how retarded it sounds.

Huh? There is only one kind of homosexuality. Its not a thing about action or anything -- its about who you are and all that that I've already said ten times. The act itsself (and people who do it because of whatever category of sexuality they are in) is totally different.

Quote:If that were true, even if it were genetic, bisexuality would disprove it. Those people are attracted to either. Genetics don't stop them at all.

Since we don't know the cause, its easy to think of all kinds of genetic explanations that allow for bisexuality...

Quote:It doesn't happen that way because it's not ingrained in a person to be that way. It's not impossible to change your sexual orientation. Remember Anne Heche, Ellen DeGeneres' lesbian lover? She turned straight and seems to be enjoying it.

Maybe its possible, but it'd be ridiculously rare. Its much more likely she's bisexual or something... why would I know?

Quote:I said that you can't control HAVING sexual urges. You can control who you have them for. If you think it's impossible to convince yourself that a person is unattractive, you are sadly mistaken. Attraction isn't just purely sexual, and though that's just common sense, it's something that apparently has evaded you. You will likely not be attracted to someone who doesn't bathe themselves, or is fat or ugly, even though they are in the gender you're attracted to. I believe gender is not a catalyst, it's just one of those many factors that help determine whether a person is attractive to you. And if you're going to try and tell me that the odd person who is attracted to fat or ugly people is attracted to them because of a genetic trait, I'll tell you not to post in this thread again because you're just wasting my time.

Sure, over time you can convince yourself of near anything. That is certainly true. And sometimes when you convince yourself of something funny things happen... its really odd that state of mind affects your health, but it does seem to for some reason. Of course I don't know why some people have strange sexual attractions... and I really don't know how it happens. It might be genetic, but I'd doubt it... but until we map the whole genome (and actually understand what it all means), you can't rule out anything 100%. :)

But I'm talking about how when you look at people and get an instant reaction about how you feel about them sexually. That isn't something you can control... well you can try, but you can't fully control it.

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall
Yeah... All I did was elaborated. That first line was sarcasm ;)

Well then you shouldn't have used the sad face. It's a very sincere-looking sad face!

First, Netscape is the best, and doesn't crash much. What did you do?

So, Weltall, you agree with the Catholic Church when it said that a man and woman who said they were not going to have children could not be married as catholics? Same thing as homosexuals!

What? I'm not following.

Quote:Who cares about if they have children? And more to the point... who cares, since in many cases they adopt children? I can't see how they hurt anyone's morals. If they are happily married, and have children (or not, that's a purely personal decision), who are they hurting? How are they destroying world morality?

They're hurting the children they have. Little Timmy will be so popular when his chums find out he has two daddies. Little Timmy will end up on a shrink's couch by the time he's 20.

Quote:Oh yeah, radical rightwingers who are paranoid-homophobic. Right. Can't forget them!

It's so evil to want to preserve morality :(

Quote:Even if it wasn't a genetic thing (but was something else that causes it to happen that the affected person has absolutely no control over... since it is very, very obvious based on all the observation anyone has ever had that that's a fact...), I don't see how that would change anything.

There is very little a person cannot control. Even if a person has homosexual urges, there is nothing forcing a person to act on them.

And those articles do show one thing: So far we have no definite proof of where, exactly, homosexuality comes from. We just don't know yet. All we have is what homosexuals can say... and what they can say, almost universally, is that it isn't something they decide, or they think about and choose, or anything of that nature. Its just something that, as they go through puberty, they slowly realize... it really is that simple. Of course because of our extremely homophobic society a lot of them deny it and hide it, which causes them a lot of problems later on, but that's not their fault... that's society's problem.

The fact that so far science is pretty much clueless doesn't mean you are right. True, it doesn't mean that its genetic either... but you can't use that as proof you are correct. And in the abscence of proof how it happens, I'd say that all of that about how gay people just KNOW (in most cases from the very beginning of puberty, they just don't realize it) is pretty important.

As for people who are living a homosexual lifestyle but could go and be with the other gender, either they are heterosexuals who for some reason are living the other lifestyle (curiosity? I have no idea why...), or they are bisexual. They are not homosexual, except to people with definitions of the word as twisted as yours.[/quote]

Well, as I said, we've mapped most of the human genome and no gay genes have been discovered. Once it's fully mapped and none are found, as I am very certain will be the case, I can be vindicated then.

Quote:I've brought this up multiple times before. Weltall has no real good answer for it (what is he going to say? That these animals have awareness and are smart enough to decide something like that? Er... NO!), so he pretty much ignores the point.

Who's to say why animals do that? Why don't you ask one?

Quote:As usual I ignore the responses that are purely insults. Why must you spend so much time insulting me?

Because you spend so much time earning them.

Quote:I can't see any way you could believe that people can control to that degree who they find attractive. Somewhat... maybe. But not anywhere near the extent you are suggesting.

It's very simple. There is no preset attraction code. None. As you go through life, your idea of the perfect mate will change, sometimes radically. And attraction is a pretty selective deal for most people. You're not going to be attracted to every man or every woman, there will be particulars involved, and I believe gender is simply another one of those myriad of particulars. I don't believe anyone is born pre-programmed to only like people of a particular gender anymore than I think people are pre-programmed to like redheads or long legs.

Quote:I didn't change anything! It IS a genetic change or mutation or something!

Self-delusion again?

Quote: "state of mind" sounds like "i thought about it and my state of mind is now x" which is what YOU are saying, not me... what I'm saying is that its a genetic thing that you just ... realize ... at some point, generall puberty but sometimes later.

Wait, I said that homosexuality is a physical thing, you're the one telling me that a person is gay if they think about it but not if they actually do it. You're all about the state of mind.

And what I'm saying is that there's no proof at all that it's genetic and for you to keep saying so is not helping your stance at all. We don't know for sure whether it is genetic or not, but there is no evidence supporting the theory, so please, stop using the argument. It's baseless.

Quote:But you said that if any heterosexual ever has sexual relations with any other man ever in their lives they are homosexual or bisexual, period... Confused

That's right. But they are NOT homosexual or bisexual if they had the urges and never acted on them.

Quote:I guess, but you defined 'physical' as something else, which I don't really agree with. Its genetics, with probably some other factors involved as well. No one is sure what, exactly, but environment might play a small role. Not much of one, but maybe a small one. And only to people already predisposed towards it.

Again, you're arguing with completely unsubstantiated hypotheses, and I'm not going to respond to anything else about it.

Quote:Did I ever say lots of heterosexuals do this? NO! I said few would! People generally don't kneep doing things when other ones provide a better alternative... but it is possible. Rare, I'd expect... but possible. I just don't see how you think that heterosexuals can physically not do such a thing.

I don't see at all how this relates to the portion of my post that you quoted.

Quote:Huh? There is only one kind of homosexuality. Its not a thing about action or anything -- its about who you are and all that that I've already said ten times. The act itsself (and people who do it because of whatever category of sexuality they are in) is totally different.

Wrong. If you believe that then you have to believe that a person can be a murderer for merely thinking about the deed. Actions make a person, not thoughts. Actions speak louder than words, as I'm sure you've heard once or twice.

Quote:Since we don't know the cause, its easy to think of all kinds of genetic explanations that allow for bisexuality...

I cannot think of one single plausible theory that could explain how genetics could affect who a person is attracted to. The idea is so nonsensical it blows my mind how anyone could believe it.

Quote:Maybe its possible, but it'd be ridiculously rare. Its much more likely she's bisexual or something... why would I know?

I don't know. Maybe you're gay or bi and you understand these things better than this silly old homophobic heterosexual. Are you?

Quote:Sure, over time you can convince yourself of near anything. That is certainly true. And sometimes when you convince yourself of something funny things happen... its really odd that state of mind affects your health, but it does seem to for some reason. Of course I don't know why some people have strange sexual attractions... and I really don't know how it happens. It might be genetic, but I'd doubt it... but until we map the whole genome (and actually understand what it all means), you can't rule out anything 100%. :)

But I'm talking about how when you look at people and get an instant reaction about how you feel about them sexually. That isn't something you can control... well you can try, but you can't fully control it.

If you couldn't control it, you would start viciously humping the first attractive human being you came across right away, so overtaken by sexual urges that you would be.

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 12th June 2003

This debate rapidly gets shorter as Weltall answers more and more points with insults. It'll burn out in not too long... why can't you take serious replies seriously?

Quote:What? I'm not following.

In Europe somewhere. The Catholic church denied marriage between two people because they said that they would not have children (because of the possibility of passing on a genetic disorder), and in the bible it says marriage is for making babies.

Quote:They're hurting the children they have. Little Timmy will be so popular when his chums find out he has two daddies. Little Timmy will end up on a shrink's couch by the time he's 20.

Only if he has "friends" who think like you.

Quote:It's so evil to want to preserve morality

Proving my point. That's exactly what I'd expect you to say, given that you fit right into that category.

Quote:There is very little a person cannot control. Even if a person has homosexual urges, there is nothing forcing a person to act on them.

There is a huge diffrence between how homosexuals feel and how heterosexuals have occasional small 'urges' like you mention. A very, very big difference. You will refuse to admit it, but nothing I've ever heard has said anything else. HOMOSEXUALS DO NOT JUST HAVE "LITTLE URGES" WHICH THEY THEN FOLLOW, WHILE IGNORING HETEROSEXUAL ONES! PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY HOMOSEXUAL DON'T HAVE ANY MORE (and possibly fewer) 'URGES' TOWARDS THE OPPOSITE GENDER AS THE AVERAGE HETEROEXUAL DOES FOR THEIR GENDER!

That is fact.

Quote:Who's to say why animals do that? Why don't you ask one?

So you deny that animals are homosexual, even though it has been an observed behavior in some animals? Huh? That makes no sense!

Quote:It's very simple. There is no preset attraction code. None. As you go through life, your idea of the perfect mate will change, sometimes radically. And attraction is a pretty selective deal for most people. You're not going to be attracted to every man or every woman, there will be particulars involved, and I believe gender is simply another one of those myriad of particulars. I don't believe anyone is born pre-programmed to only like people of a particular gender anymore than I think people are pre-programmed to like redheads or long legs.

Sure, everyone has their own idea of who they find attractive. That is true. And no, its probably not genetic... I don't know how that happens. But when you are attracted to someone you know it -- you have absolutely no control over the mere act of being attracted to them. So genetic or not, its not something that people can control... you are either attracted to someone or you aren't. Sure, you can then think it over and with other factors decide what to do (or, more likely, not do), but the attraction? Not under your control. And especially not in puberty, when you are first realizing these things... yet homosexuals (when not repressed) start realizing that they are attracted to the same gender at that early point.

Sure, your opinions will change as you get older... that's to be expected! But this is at a much more fundamental level than that. Its not like just changing between different traits in the gender you find attractive, for sure...

Quote:Wait, I said that homosexuality is a physical thing, you're the one telling me that a person is gay if they think about it but not if they actually do it. You're all about the state of mind.

And what I'm saying is that there's no proof at all that it's genetic and for you to keep saying so is not helping your stance at all. We don't know for sure whether it is genetic or not, but there is no evidence supporting the theory, so please, stop using the argument. It's baseless.

As I said before, your definition of homosexuality is fatally flawed when applied to "reality". It has nothing to do with sex... its not exactly state of mind either. Yes, your state of mind is part of that, but you have that state of mind because of how you realize you are... which goes back to much more basic things then "how you feel now".

Quote:That's right. But they are NOT homosexual or bisexual if they had the urges and never acted on them.

You have such bizzare definitions of those terms...

Quote:Again, you're arguing with completely unsubstantiated hypotheses, and I'm not going to respond to anything else about it.

Ah, so your unproven hypotheses with no real-world backing are better than my unproven hypotheses with lots of factual proof that says that they are right, at least in part. Got it.

Quote:I don't see at all how this relates to the portion of my post that you quoted.

Quote:
Quote:I do in fact refer to ugly people, but repulsion is on the same tier as unattractive. The difference is that repulsion is very strong unattraction.

Did I ever say lots of heterosexuals do this? NO! I said few would! People generally don't kneep doing things when other ones provide a better alternative... but it is possible. Rare, I'd expect... but possible. I just don't see how you think that heterosexuals can physically not do such a thing.

Seems like a direct reply to me...

Quote:I cannot think of one single plausible theory that could explain how genetics could affect who a person is attracted to. The idea is so nonsensical it blows my mind how anyone could believe it.

I can't think of why not... genetics control a very wide variety of things...

This is sooo gay - alien space marine - 13th June 2003

Quote:In Europe somewhere. The Catholic church denied marriage between two people because they said that they would not have children (because of the possibility of passing on a genetic disorder), and in the bible it says marriage is for making babies.

Were the hell did you read that?God created Eve for Adams companionship and marriage is about comitment and sharing not just making babbies as you seem to claim, But you are a atheist what the hell do you know about the bible other then things you hear from others.

As for the obese thing , yes I have put on 100 punds this year I am not massive or anything but I am chunkier then normal , Sure my anti depression medication may have played a role but it is my fault for not going outside and running an hour a day like I used to do.

The gay thing is true , There is no proven Genetic link , the same way many people believed protitution was a genetically inherited behavour and thats why many people were sterilized just because their mother was a whore.

This is sooo gay - Weltall - 13th June 2003

[quote]In Europe somewhere. The Catholic church denied marriage between two people because they said that they would not have children (because of the possibility of passing on a genetic disorder), and in the bible it says marriage is for making babies.

They're not correct on that point, though I know the Catholic church is stupid like that. My mother had to tell her priest that she was going to raise me Catholic in order for her to get married, though she had no such intention.

But that's Catholicism for you.

Quote:Only if he has "friends" who think like you.

You don't know me. I may disapprove of homosexuality but I do tolerate it, and I don't hate people who choose to do so. I don't hate them anymore than you do, we simply differ in that I believe they do so by choice. There are people out there who disagree with homosexuality FAR more strenuously than myself. You know, people who taunt them, and even worse, those who attack them. I do not advocate either activity. I believe what happens in a person's bedroom is their business, as long as it stays in the bedroom.

Quote:Proving my point. That's exactly what I'd expect you to say, given that you fit right into that category.

Of course, because I don't believe morals are relative. But it's pointless to discuss morals with a liberal.

Quote:There is a huge diffrence between how homosexuals feel and how heterosexuals have occasional small 'urges' like you mention. A very, very big difference. You will refuse to admit it, but nothing I've ever heard has said anything else. HOMOSEXUALS DO NOT JUST HAVE "LITTLE URGES" WHICH THEY THEN FOLLOW, WHILE IGNORING HETEROSEXUAL ONES! PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY HOMOSEXUAL DON'T HAVE ANY MORE (and possibly fewer) 'URGES' TOWARDS THE OPPOSITE GENDER AS THE AVERAGE HETEROEXUAL DOES FOR THEIR GENDER!

That is fact.

Mmmhmm. You didn't answer my question before, probably because you thought it was an insult, but are you gay or bisexual? I mean, you seem to have an innate knowledge about this sort of thing, you seem to think that even psychology cannot explain this. It's kinda funny that you would take such a question as an insult, but I was being serious.

Quote:So you deny that animals are homosexual, even though it has been an observed behavior in some animals? Huh? That makes no sense!

I denied it? I believe my words were "Who knows why they do it? Why don't you ask one"? I can't tell how that could be misconstrued for denial, but whatever.

Quote:Sure, everyone has their own idea of who they find attractive. That is true. And no, its probably not genetic... I don't know how that happens. But when you are attracted to someone you know it -- you have absolutely no control over the mere act of being attracted to them. So genetic or not, its not something that people can control... you are either attracted to someone or you aren't. Sure, you can then think it over and with other factors decide what to do (or, more likely, not do), but the attraction? Not under your control. And especially not in puberty, when you are first realizing these things... yet homosexuals (when not repressed) start realizing that they are attracted to the same gender at that early point.

Sure, your opinions will change as you get older... that's to be expected! But this is at a much more fundamental level than that. Its not like just changing between different traits in the gender you find attractive, for sure...

As I said before, your definition of homosexuality is fatally flawed when applied to "reality". It has nothing to do with sex... its not exactly state of mind either. Yes, your state of mind is part of that, but you have that state of mind because of how you realize you are... which goes back to much more basic things then "how you feel now".

Homosexuality is most definitely about sex, which is why the term appears in the word Homosexuality. But if it's not sexual, and it's not mental, than what is it? This is the loophole your theory keeps catching on.

Quote:You have such bizzare definitions of those terms...

You have such a hard time with real-life application.

Quote:Ah, so your unproven hypotheses with no real-world backing are better than my unproven hypotheses with lots of factual proof that says that they are right, at least in part. Got it.

Er, if I remember correctly, your unproven hypotheses were supported by almost no factual proof whatsoever, and one of the two major studies on the topic was subject to investigation by a research ethics committee on grounds that data was left out to skew the results.

My opinions are not truly hypotheses at all. Besides being supported by psychology and biology, the burden of proof is not upon us to disprove a genetic link, it is upon you to prove the genetic link.

Ergo, there is no genetic link until one is found. That is how science works. And as of now there is no genetic link, and little chance of there being one.

Quote:I can't think of why not... genetics control a very wide variety of things... [/B]

Genetics control nothing behaviorial.

This is sooo gay - Nintendarse - 13th June 2003

Weltall, I agree that there are universal morals, but I guess I disagree with what those universal morals are. What are your universal morals? What authority do they have? Why is homosexuality universally "bad."

This is sooo gay - Sacred Jellybean - 13th June 2003

Eek, Weltaii, cut that bolding out, it hurts my eyes. Eek

I haven't recently participated in this argument for a few reasons, mainly being busy with school and not having the motivation to do so. I've got all the free time in the world now, though, so I might as well post my opinion.

I still don't have an opinion as to whether homosexuality is genetic or not, nor do I care. I must admit, the idea sounds silly, and since there's no conclusive evidence on its existence, its a pretty worthless debate tool.

I do, however, believe that homosexuality isn't a choice. I at first was surprised by such opposition to the belief, but then I realized our definitions of homosexuality are different. My definition is feeling strong sexual arousal to members of the same sex, NOT the act itself. It's common sense that no one is obliged to act out on every thought process they come across (if this were the case, I would have broken my room mate's guitar over his skull a long time ago). When I say that homosexuality isn't a choice, I don't mean that there are gay zombies walking the earth, uncontrollably walking to their next fuck buddy and unbuckling their jockies. Sexual urges can most definately be repressed (someone should tell that to Catholic priest rapists).

Seeing as how I've had NO successful experience with *making* myself be attracted to something or someone, I have no clue what Weltaii is talking about. I've had friends who have liked me for more than a friend, yet I wasn't attracted to them in that way. I could think they were a great person, kind, fun to be with, but for the simple fact that I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to them, we couldn't be together. Now, if I COULD be in such control... well, that would cure my whole loneliness problem! Another aspect of mind would be more efficient and another part of life would be much less strenuous and complicated.

I think if I had the choice, I'd be sexually attracted by guys. They're just so much less complicated and more easily understood than women. However, I don't have the ability to make such a choice. I've been interested in the idea, but there's simply nothing there. I don't like other boys in that way.

As for the male-to-male prison sex-- although I'm no expert, I'd explain that as being shallow sex, only performed to satisfy sexual urges, with no romance involved. Think about it: you can reach orgasm by stimulating your own genitals. Does that mean you're attracted to yourself, or your hand? Of course not! It's an act performed to gain sexual relief, which is why prisoners often get raped by inmates. Now, if a prisoner willingly spread out his ass cheeks for another man to probe, I'd say he's gay, or perhaps a masochist, since it's much harder to achieve an orgasm that way and requires a deeper sexual thought process.

This is speculation, yes, but aren't we all just speculating? BTW, Weltaii- I think what Nintendarse meant was that while the links you provided show that there isn't any conclusive proof that the homosexual gene exists, it still doesn't state that it's impossible or unlikely that the homosexual gene exists- just that there isn't any concrete evidence. I didn't read them myself, but I think that's what Nintendarse meant.

Quote:Now if you are willing to suck another man cock for some booze or weed then you are Gay , Normal Hetrosexuals would rather comit suicide then do that. Clearly these men are either really desperate or Gay.

Desperate, yes. Necessarily gay? Of course not. I'm a heterosexual (at least, I'd consider myself such, seeing as how I'm not attracted to other men), yet I wouldn't rather commit suicide than fellate another man. Perhaps I just value life more than the average heterosexual... but I'd put my money on just feeling less homophobic.

Quote:On the second note, I do not believe gay people deserve some of those rights by virtue of the choice they make. I do not believe in gay marriage, as marriage is an union between a man and a woman that creates a family, and is a very important thread in the fabric of society, and allowing homosexuals to participate in that tarnishes the morals upon which they were founded. I really do not care if they can fight or not (which is a special right actually, and discriminates based on sex and age, i.e. women cannot become combat soldiers, nor can people over the age limit).

I don't see marriage as a special right, I see it as a right that should be protected by every person. There are rights held by married people that shouldn't be withheld from homosexual lovers. The idea of civil unions used in Vermont is also a good idea, which allows homosexuals the opportunity to obtain those rights.

This is sooo gay - Darunia - 13th June 2003

I think marriage should be reserved for a man and a woman....gays can have their unions, but marriage was designed for men and women. Not to be bashing of anyone, but that's just the way it is...I feel they should have some special, new form of union.

This is sooo gay - A Black Falcon - 13th June 2003

SJ, a nice restatement (from a new point of view) of most of the things me and Nintendarse have been saying.

Of course, he'll listen to you just as much as he does us, but still... its nice to say it anyway. :) And you do expand on the issue of attraction quite well. I agree, it makes no logical or illogical sense to say that you can actually CONTROL who you are attracted to. As you say, that'd make things so much easier... but it just doesn't work that way, not even remotely. I see no possible way to think it does... Confused

Oh, and I deleted his stupid bold tag. They do get very, very annoying.

Quote:They're not correct on that point, though I know the Catholic church is stupid like that. My mother had to tell her priest that she was going to raise me Catholic in order for her to get married, though she had no such intention.

I knew you'd say that because you have a unreasoned hate of Catholics too.

Quote:You don't know me. I may disapprove of homosexuality but I do tolerate it, and I don't hate people who choose to do so. I don't hate them anymore than you do, we simply differ in that I believe they do so by choice. There are people out there who disagree with homosexuality FAR more strenuously than myself. You know, people who taunt them, and even worse, those who attack them. I do not advocate either activity. I believe what happens in a person's bedroom is their business, as long as it stays in the bedroom.

Sure, there are people who are more violent, or say more, or whatever, than you seem to... but that doesn't change much about the fact that what you are saying would be the kind of thing that would mess someone up -- not "i'm going to beat you up", but "you are a morally corrupt person and I don't hate you but I hate your familys' lifestyle". Quite the thing to say to the people in the age group we're talking about in this case, you think?

Quote:Of course, because I don't believe morals are relative. But it's pointless to discuss morals with a liberal.

As Nintendarse said, they aren't relative... not within a society, for sure...

Quote:Mmmhmm. You didn't answer my question before, probably because you thought it was an insult, but are you gay or bisexual? I mean, you seem to have an innate knowledge about this sort of thing, you seem to think that even psychology cannot explain this. It's kinda funny that you would take such a question as an insult, but I was being serious.

I'm not. And I didn't answer because its incredibly stupid to say that "because you are a liberal and try to present a reasoned arguement for your position you are in that group that is the subject of the argument"...

And I note you ignored every word of my point.

Quote:I denied it? I believe my words were "Who knows why they do it? Why don't you ask one"? I can't tell how that could be misconstrued for denial, but whatever.

Because the cause has to be something other than personal choice, maybe? Erm

Quote:Homosexuality is most definitely about sex, which is why the term appears in the word Homosexuality. But if it's not sexual, and it's not mental, than what is it? This is the loophole your theory keeps catching on.

I HAVE EXPLAINED THIS FIVE HUNDRED TIMES! :bang:

I'm not sure. Genes? Early experiences, slightly? Other factors? I really don't know how these things happen... but they happen. Genetics is the simplest answer, by far, but it well may be a combonation of various genetic, psychological, and experienced things... all that I know is that no one ever chooses any of these things. Your argument makes more sense now that you say that heterosexuals can choose who they are attracted to too... more sense in that "wow he is even more insane than even I suspected" kind of way...

Quote:You have such a hard time with real-life application.

Funny, that's what I've been saying about your positions since the beginning...

Quote:Er, if I remember correctly, your unproven hypotheses were supported by almost no factual proof whatsoever, and one of the two major studies on the topic was subject to investigation by a research ethics committee on grounds that data was left out to skew the results.

My opinions are not truly hypotheses at all. Besides being supported by psychology and biology, the burden of proof is not upon us to disprove a genetic link, it is upon you to prove the genetic link.

Ergo, there is no genetic link until one is found. That is how science works. And as of now there is no genetic link, and little chance of there being one.

As we've said many times, DISPROVING THAT ONE SPECIFIC GENE IS THE CARRIER ONLY PROVES THAT IT IS NOT ON THAT GENE! Not that it isn't partly genetic. Not that it is personal choice. Just that that isn't where it is and researchers don't know how homosexuality is caused. That is very different from supporting your position and does absolutely NOTHING to back the idea that it is personal choice.

Since as I've said already, there are plenty of ways to have it not be genetic and still have a zero percent element of personal choice, because that's how much there is.

Quote:Genetics control nothing behaviorial.

And you're so sure about this how?

This is sooo gay - N-Man - 13th June 2003

I think the issue of marriage ought to be left to the place where the people marry: if Church X is against homosexuality, they may well refuse to allow marriage of gay people in their facilities... but at the very least, the state should provide a way to make it so homosexuals can be legally united.

And Weltall, what the hell is this talk of your mom pretending she'll raise your children in a Catholic way just to be allowed to marry? If you're not gonna raise your children in a Catholic manner, don't get married in a friggin' Catholic church, end of story! *excommunicates you*

As for the whole genetics-or-not hocus pocus, I really don't think we know enough about the whole deal to make any conclusions out of it. Until we can unravel the mystery about sexual attraction, we probably ought to simply leave it at this: gay people exist, do not cause harm to anyone in a significant way, and deserve the same rights as their heterosexual brethren.

But if its not genetic it is of course a choice they make of their own free will so we can persecute (and prosecute) them for it just like murderers or anything! Right? I mean... there is no possible other explanation, for sure...

Or at least they seem to think that way.

This is sooo gay - N-Man - 13th June 2003

Even if it *is* a choice, what would then warrant persecuting them?

Because that choice is EEEEEEVVVIIIILLLLL!!!!!