Tendo City
Angel Cop - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Residential District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: The Somewhat-Monthly Review (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Great Rumbler's Anime Corner (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Forum: Best of the Worst (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+----- Thread: Angel Cop (/showthread.php?tid=4673)

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 28th January 2008

Synopsis: Angel Cop tells the heart-warming tale of a cop named Angel who fights terrorists in the far-flung, ultra-violent world of future where corrupt businessmen are conspiring with the Jew-controlled United States to dump nuclear waste all over the place and also there's cyborgs and people who inexplicably have psychic powers.

First Glance: Much in the same way that an infant can recognize its mother just based on her face, you too can recognize Angel Cop based solely on its over-the-top violence, laughable dub, and incomprehensible storyline.

Impression: Angle Cop is, in a word, bad. But it goes much deeper than that. This is not the bad that often crops up in Scifi Channel Oringinals, but rather the deep, lurking bad that hides in dark shadows and slithers out at night to feast upon the innocent and unaware, all the while seeking some host with which to manefest itself in thereby spreading its terrifying influence into the world at large.

I could speak volumes about the laughable dub which oftens substitutes random epithets for meaningful conversation [If this is justice, then I am a banana!; The doctor said this gun would break my arm if I used it. Oh well, here goes!; ect.], the liberal dosage of ultraviolence where even the least powerful guns are likely to cause impossible large fountains of blood to spray forth from gaping wounds and half-removed heads, the random use of four-letter words, the incomrehensible storyline that jumps from one basic story element to the next without any apparent cohesion, or even the impossible-to-root-for good guys, but let's talk about the reasons why you should watch Angel Cop. Oh wait...that's what I just did.

Conclusion: I love Angel Cop, it's so bad.

Score: LOL/ROFL

Specs: Six episodes from 1989. DVD and VHS releases are both out-of-print, but the VHS collection can be found for cheap on Amazon.

Acquisition Difficulty: Easy

Angel Cop - Unreadphilosophy - 19th March 2010

I need to check this out. Thanks for the heart warming review.

Angel Cop - A Black Falcon - 26th March 2010

I've seen a few of the VHS tapes around here... unfortunately it's one episode per tape, so yeah, that's cruel. And how much did people pay for one episode, exactly? And people say anime now is expensive...

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 26th March 2010

They eventually rereleased it with all episode on one tape and all episode on one DVD.

Angel Cop - A Black Falcon - 26th March 2010

That sounds like a much more reasonable version...

Angel Cop - Unreadphilosophy - 29th March 2010

Based on the review, I doubt that it's worth your money and time.

Angel Cop - A Black Falcon - 29th March 2010

If it was like a dollar or something it'd probably be worth it. :)

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 29th March 2010

Angel Cop is hilarious, particularly the English dub.

Angel Cop - A Black Falcon - 28th July 2010

I watched the English dub version of episode 1 of this, and you were absolutely right... it was hilariously bad. The bad guys are communist terrorists? Brilliant! Awful voice acting? Even better! :D Awesome stuff... so, so terrible, yet quite entertaining. :)

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2010

The Japanese version, while not as bad, does rely heavily on jingoism, which is pretty awesome. The dub kind of dumps that though, in favor of more swears.

Jingoism? You mean like all the mentions of the evil communist terrorists that are in the English version, but more? :)

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2010

Oh, there's some anti-commie sentiment, but nothing like what the Japanese version has.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:The original Japanese language version of Angel Cop is controversial for its Anti-Semitic plot points. In the original Japanese, it is revealed that the Jews are the main threat to Japan's standard of living, and are trying to sabotage the country's economy and turn it into a dumping ground for radioactive material.

From ANN:

Quote:In the end, it's discovered that the top levels of Japanese government have sold out to the Jews that took over America, and having successfully plundered Vietnam and Iraq for the sake of money, these Jews are going to turn Japan into Asia's nuclear waste dump.

Woah... yeah, I can see why they'd remove that... that's not good...

Angel Cop - Dark Jaguar - 5th November 2010

So I just clicked on this and read the last post. That's about all I need to read.

I will add this though...

http://kotaku.com/5682324/japanese-game-and-music-idol-called-out-for-racism

Wow... There's a lot of layers of "dumb" to that.

Angel Cop - Great Rumbler - 5th November 2010

Angel Cop is pretty amazing, Morning Musume isn't. Watch Angel Cop.

I've got no interest in watching a show who's villian is "the zionist global conspiracy".

And that's what the English dub is for.

I'll know what they ACTUALLY said though, because I read it here.

Besides, you two just got done explaining how terrible the dub actually is. Sure it's no longer horribly antisemitic, but then it's just plain awful.

Quote:Angel Cop is hilarious, particularly the English dub.

Angel Cop - A Black Falcon - 5th November 2010

Japanese people being racist against Koreans? How completely (not at all in anyway) surprising...

Japanese hate Koreans hate Japanese.

You can replace "Koreans" with "Chinese", if you like. But shouldn't this be in a thread of its own?

Quite true, the Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese all have quite a bit of mutual dislike for eachother.

Really? But we Americans confuse them all the time! Doesn't that put them on the same team?

Seriously though, I wasn't aware of this weirdness. It doesn't make me want to watch Angel Cop though.

If you don't know that Korea, China, and Japan all dislike eachother, you pay very little attention to East Asian foreign policy. And by "very little" I mean "like pretty much none".

I mean, the last century's history in the region has been defined by those facts... the Japanese empire in Korea and China, the Chinese opinion that they're the most important country in the world (so they're angry at Japan for challenging them, as they have over the past century), etc, etc...

I mean, people in Japan who moved there from Korea 60 years ago are still considered second class citizens, socially; they're Korean, not Japanese, and always will be that. But it's not like the Koreans or Chinese are any less racist either. I wouldn't expect everyone to know all those details, but that the three countries don't exactly get along well? Yes, that I would expect people to know.

I mean, Japan and China have been arguing again, these last few months...

I know about the political history, but I had no idea that it was down to a social level. Those ARE different things ya know. I mean America and Japan have some bad history, but I don't see many Americans hating on Japan for what the previous generation did over 50 years ago (Darunia aside). I had no idea that individual people in Japan actually hated Koreans as a people. THAT is something I had never heard before.