Tendo City
Iowa Caucuses Today! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Iowa Caucuses Today! (/showthread.php?tid=4644)

Pages: 1 2

Iowa Caucuses Today! - lazyfatbum - 8th January 2008

Kingdom of Heaven said it best, in regards to the conflicts in the middle east.

They've been fighting for no reason for thousands of years, the white people need to ignore them.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 8th January 2008

Town hall meeting with Ron Paul

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 9th January 2008

lazyfatbum Wrote:Kingdom of Heaven said it best, in regards to the conflicts in the middle east.

They've been fighting for no reason for thousands of years, the white people need to ignore them.

Well, that's very silly. At the time of Kingdom of Heaven, the "white men" (the Arabs I've met generally considered themselves to be "white" btw) were engaged in perpetual warfare with each other, while the Middle East was pretty much an ocean of peace - at least if you don't consider the arrival of the Turks, which is what brought the white man to intervene in the first place.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 9th January 2008

N-Man Wrote:Well, that's very silly. At the time of Kingdom of Heaven, the "white men" (the Arabs I've met generally considered themselves to be "white" btw) were engaged in perpetual warfare with each other, while the Middle East was pretty much an ocean of peace - at least if you don't consider the arrival of the Turks, which is what brought the white man to intervene in the first place.

The turks and Mongols more or less disrupted that peace; It was the burning of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher that triggered the first crusade that and assaults on Byzantium.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - lazyfatbum - 9th January 2008

Are we talking about the same middle east? Going back to the start of major society the middle east has been a minefield of culture clash with almost every territory being a war-driven group.

They've done nothing but fight over pieces of land and borders since before Christ, look at the Yom Kippur war and iran's islamic revolution, hell look at now :/ In reference to white people: britain (hello?), USSR, eastern-euro blocks, ROME and especially good ol' USA. = Stay the fuck out.

Middle east as peaceful? When? Pangea!?

Persian empire waisnt to bad

Iowa Caucuses Today! - lazyfatbum - 9th January 2008

Compared to what, Sauron? Fine. Compared to Sauron the Persian Empire wasn't that bad.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 9th January 2008

We're the automans, and you're not!

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 9th January 2008

lazyfatbum Wrote:Are we talking about the same middle east? Going back to the start of major society the middle east has been a minefield of culture clash with almost every territory being a war-driven group.

They've done nothing but fight over pieces of land and borders since before Christ, look at the Yom Kippur war and iran's islamic revolution, hell look at now :/ In reference to white people: britain (hello?), USSR, eastern-euro blocks, ROME and especially good ol' USA. = Stay the fuck out.

Middle east as peaceful? When? Pangea!?

Yeah... so between Christ and the Islamic revolution, there's about 2000 years, including 500 or so of which are referred to as the Islamic Golden age (roughly from the Hegira to the invasions of the Seljukid Turks in the 11th and 12th centuries). During that time, the Arabs made great strides in disciplines like astronomy, medicine, chemistry and mathematics, which would eventually be brought back to Europe through the Crusades and lead to the Renaissance. They notably conserved several works of Greek authors that were long gone from Europe, and for a long time Europeans had to rely on Arabic translations of Aristotle and the like (until earlier Greek versions were dug up from the dusty basements of monasteries over the course of several centuries). The Middle East, politically, was united under one caliphate, then under two or three as the situation degraded, but it really was nowhere near as bad as in Europe.

As for the Persian empire, it has about a gazillion incarnations (Medes, Achaemenids, Parthians, Sassanids, Khorezm...) so it would be nice to know which one you're referring to, but there generally wasn't an independent Persian polity during those days - it was subordinate to the Caliph, at least for some time.

edit: amusingly, it's precisely this golden age that groups like Al-Qaeda aspire to and wish to bring back. Of course, they don't realize that their interpretation of Islam is probably 100% more hardcore than the one they had back then.

N-Man Wrote:Yeah... so between Christ and the Islamic revolution, there's about 2000 years, including 500 or so of which are referred to as the Islamic Golden age (roughly from the Hegira to the invasions of the Seljukid Turks in the 11th and 12th centuries). During that time, the Arabs made great strides in disciplines like astronomy, medicine, chemistry and mathematics, which would eventually be brought back to Europe through the Crusades and lead to the Renaissance. They notably conserved several works of Greek authors that were long gone from Europe, and for a long time Europeans had to rely on Arabic translations of Aristotle and the like (until earlier Greek versions were dug up from the dusty basements of monasteries over the course of several centuries). The Middle East, politically, was united under one caliphate, then under two or three as the situation degraded, but it really was nowhere near as bad as in Europe.

As for the Persian empire, it has about a gazillion incarnations (Medes, Achaemenids, Parthians, Sassanids, Khorezm...) so it would be nice to know which one you're referring to, but there generally wasn't an independent Persian polity during those days - it was subordinate to the Caliph, at least for some time.

edit: amusingly, it's precisely this golden age that groups like Al-Qaeda aspire to and wish to bring back. Of course, they don't realize that their interpretation of Islam is probably 100% more hardcore than the one they had back then.

The acharmenid is generally regarded as the Persian empire The Sassinid also counts as a 2nd empire; but the Parthian and Khorezm weren't culturally Persian empires. The safavid shia empire counts as one

From what I understand is that the loss of Cordoba to the Spanish and also the destruction of Baghdad to golden horde Mongols eliminated the centers of knowledge but what really killed it and prevented a revival was religious fundamentalist and the ideas of a famous theologian that ridiculed philosophy as satanic and destroyed the friendly environment which free thinkers and innovators previously came from just at the same time Europe and the church were becoming more open minded .

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2008

More Ron Paul fun, involving a newsletter he made in the early '90s... and the racist articles that ran in it. "Oh, I didn't write them and have never seen them before"? In a newsletter you were the editor of with your name in the title? Ah... yeah right.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/index.html

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 10th January 2008

The comments do not sound like him but we hardly know him ; holy shit if they are his words that really blows and is a huge let down being that his philosophy on foreign policy could have made a big difference and he is the only clear cut anti war candidate with huge online fan following even from abroad; Think about all the fund raising.

Interesting that Texans elected him numerous times despite this.

His response is that he stopped working on the newsletter in 1988;a ghostwriter had made this.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2008

Actually I don't think this will have any impact on his campaign either way. So what if it causes his numbers to drop... it's not like getting 8 or 10% of the votes is going to get you very far anyway, so if it went down it really wouldn't matter that much.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Sacred Jellybean - 11th January 2008

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul188.html

In a nutshell, he believes the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was an infringement upon our rights by the Government and worsened race relations. It seems he specifically disagrees with affirmative action, but does he not realize the importance of anti-segregation? From a libertarian standpoint, in that we need to get as much of the government off our backs as possible, I can see his point, but I completely disagree with it.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - nickdaddyg - 13th January 2008

Dark Jaguar: I lost any confidence in Ron Paul the moment he decided science was secondary to placating religious extremists by saying he doesn't think evolution "matters" (a PR movement on his part most likely). Well, anyone who thinks that they can play it safe by not having an opinion and just saying the safety phrase of "how we got here isn't important" is an idiot. Yes, it does matter. A massive chunk of modern biology is directly based in evolution. Ditching evolution damages as much of our current understanding of biology as ditching GRAVITY damages physics.

It doesn't matter what a presidential candidate personally thinks about evolution. The President deals with "Here & Now." Let scientists worry about evolution. I think Ron Paul meant, it's not a relevant issue. He'd probably say let the states deal with it.

How we got here is important ... for the scientists, and those making our medicines. But for the U.S. Executive it's not important.

Before you quote Ron Paul, tell us what was the question asked to him and his full response. I wouldn't think he said we should ditch evolution.

As far as avoiding expressing opinions, look no further than the Democratic hopefuls minus Kucinich & Biden. I would vote Biden for president.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - nickdaddyg - 13th January 2008

lazyfatbum Wrote:Middle east as peaceful? When? Pangea!?

Hahaha!

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 13th January 2008

Actually, it does. Do you think scientists operate in a void? No, they get funding from the government for research. Further, do you think "scientists" as a group are just always going to be there, out there in the nebulous void they operate in?

As to the first part, the funding comes from the government. If the governent collectively denies either the importance or reality of certain aspects of science or are just plain ignorant of the method, how much funding is there going to be? Further, WHAT is going to get funding? If they don't even know how information is obtained in science, "buzz words" will be sufficient to waste billions on "cold fusion" or some other fad nonsense and they may skip out on what actually needs research.

Here's why education matters. Scientists come from the population at large. They aren't another race of beings who live apart from us "under the mountain" (but they dug too deeply). If kids aren't being taught this information and more importantly about the scientific method and how information is obtained and how one can sift through to find what's real and what's fantasy, how many are going to grow up to be scientists? I'll tell you how many, a slowly diminishing amount. America who used to be top o' da world is losing out to more and more countries, and with the lack of funding driving out the scientists we do have to work where they can actually get paid, it is starting to hurt us. Japan for example seems to be leading the field in neuro research these days.

I didn't say Ron Paul doesn't "believe" in evolution. Rather I say that what he's saying shows that, if he does accept it, he sees the need to not say it to pander to those who don't, and labels it unimportant.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPoCsC8VT9g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPoCsC8VT9g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The comments in question are in this video. For further comment, I think I should go ahead and quote the "Bad Astronomer".

<quote>I will have plenty to say about these guys soon enough — I think they are all quite unfit to command a country in the 21st century, since they seem to believe in the methods of the Middle Ages. But let me make one comment…

On a bulletin board I read, someone posed a question: imagine a candidate with whom you agreed on every issue, but who did not "believe" in evolution (I put it in quotation marks because saying that is like saying you don’t "believe" in gravity). Would you support that candidate?

You might think the answer is contingent; what about the other candidates? How do they compare? But I think that doesn’t matter. If a candidate did not "believe" in evolution, then I 100% guarantee that I will not agree with them on many other issues, and these issues will be of utmost import. The First Amendment, for example. Plus, any candidate who thinks one of the most basic laws of science is wrong would then be prey to any other antiscience huckster who wants to deny global warming, the benefits of stem cell research, and the importance of alternative energy sources… and probably dozens of other things.

Once you deny reality, the door to any and all evil is wide open.

And don’t forget: evolution is not the be-all and end-all of creationists. They want to deny the true age of the Universe, and that touches on literally all divisions of science, from astronomy to zoology. Given their way, the entire endeavor of science would be scrapped, replaced with Biblical teachings, and that would just be the start of the reversion of our society to the pre-Enlightenment. This is no exaggeration. One need only read the Wedge Document to see what these folks want to turn our world into.

And Ron Paul buys into that garbage– or he panders to those who do, which is essentially the same thing. Just so’s you know.</quote>

He's right, pandering to those who do is more or less the same thing from the perspective of what decisions he'd make.

Science is BOUND to how we should run our country, not some little side project.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 14th January 2008

The only point he made is that its not his business as president or a politician to decide those things; Its sad that he is blind to science but how many republicans are as well? I wouldn't surprise if prime ministry Steven harper thought the same.

I find astonishing the amount young earth creationism that exist in the U.S; When I was a believer even I was a old earthier in interpretation as I had been forced to except science.

As for funding; Well isn't much of the funding from private firms? Of all the things Ron Paul said he would shutdown Nasa is not one of them; George bush put in huge funding plans for a new lunar mission and mars as well.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 14th January 2008

A lot of funding, but not all, and the fact is the market is not all knowing. If there is not immediate returns, most companies won't invest in what's called the "pure science". However, that's the most important stuff, stuff like finding the higgs boson. Unfortunatly US funding for the massive collider that could create conditions where one might be detected, if it exists, has been cancelled. Instead, it's going to stuff like sending humans to Mars. As much as the idea intrigues me, I'll be the first to admit that as far as the science is concerned, robots can do the job better.

Yes it's not his business to "decide" what's true, but it is his business to listen to scientific advisors (does Bush even HAVE scientific advisors?) and base his decisions on what the science actually says.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 16th January 2008

For anyone who has ever doubted Giuliani's inner fascist...

Quote: We look upon authority too often and focus over and over again, for 30 or 40 or 50 years, as if there is something wrong with authority. We see only the oppressive side of authority. Maybe it comes out of our history and our background. What we don't see is that freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.

[ Interruption by someone in the audience. ]

You have free speech so I can be heard.

That quote is from 1994. His views since then have only gotten stronger.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A01E2D9173CF933A15750C0A962958260

In other news, he got 3% today in Michigan... sadly he beat Dennis Kucinich, but only by 3000 votes. :)

( full speech, though just the above quote is really applicable)
Quote: Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani was among the speakers on Wednesday at a forum about crime in the cities, sponsored by The New York Post. The Mayor discussed how crime and law enforcement had changed in New York over several decades, and how society had changed. Here is an excerpt, as transcribed by The New York Times.

We constantly present the false impression that government can solve problems that government in America was designed not to solve. Families are significantly less important in the development of children today than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Religion has less influence than it did 30 or 40 years ago. Communities don't mean what they meant 30 or 40 years ago.

As Americans, we're not sure we share values. We're sometimes even afraid to use the word values. We talk about teaching ethics in schools -- people say, "What ethics? Whose ethics? Maybe we can't." And they confuse that with teaching of religion. And we are afraid to reaffirm the basics upon which a lawful and a decent society are based. We're almost embarrassed by it.

We look upon authority too often and focus over and over again, for 30 or 40 or 50 years, as if there is something wrong with authority. We see only the oppressive side of authority. Maybe it comes out of our history and our background. What we don't see is that freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.

[ Interruption by someone in the audience. ]

You have free speech so I can be heard.

[ Another interruption. ]

At the core the struggle is philosophical. There are many, many things that can be done in law enforcement to protect us better. There are many things that can done to create a government that is more responsive and more helpful. The fact is that we're fooling people if we suggest to them the solutions to these very, very deep-seated problems are going to be found in government. . . .

The solutions are going to be found when we figure out as a society what our families are going to be like in the next century, and how maybe they are going to be different. They are going to have to be just as solid and just as strong in teaching every single youngster their responsibility for citizenship. We're going to find the answer when schools once again train citizens. Schools exist in America and have always existed to train responsible citizens of the United States of America.

If they don't do that, it's very hard to hold us together as a country, because it's shared values that hold us together. We're going to come through this when we realize that it's all about, ultimately, individual responsibility. That in fact the criminal act is about individual responsibility and the building of the respect for the law and ethics is also a matter of individual responsibility.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 16th January 2008

What sort of insane view is that? The freedom to have control of your life stripped away? I literally want to know if he actually knows what the word freedom means.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 16th January 2008

Man can only be free by ceding part of his authority to decide to the state. Without the state, there cannot be freedom. John Locke's second treatise on civil government. It's essentially the founding text of liberalism. Again, I fail to see what this has to do with fascism - it's basically a verbatim repetition of one of the tenets of liberalism.

DJ, surely you understand that in Ron Paul's world there is no government funding for science - or for anything else, for that matter, except perhaps a defensive army. You can disagree with that, but understand that he's not opposed to science so much as he's opposed to the government funding anything.

Quote:and the fact is the market is not all knowing

Ron Paul would surely disagree; the market is all knowing. If the market decides that there's no money for research, it means there's no demand (and therefore need) for research. Yes, you can disagree with this, but many old men with doctorates in fancy disciplines like philosophy and economics have written long and boring books describing why they think it's true. That makes it a theory, and apparently one that Ron Paul adheres to.

N-Man Wrote:Man can only be free by ceding part of his authority to decide to the state. Without the state, there cannot be freedom. John Locke's second treatise on civil government. It's essentially the founding text of liberalism. Again, I fail to see what this has to do with fascism - it's basically a verbatim repetition of one of the tenets of liberalism.

18th or 19th century-style liberalism, perhaps, but 20th century liberalism is very, very different from that earlier philosophy of the same name... Locke is one of the "fathers of liberalism" and he was all in favor of stuff like enclosure! Not exactly something any modern liberal would get anywhere near.

Anyway, that's fascist because what he's saying there is that people should surrender their freedom for supposed security. Must I repeat that great quote of Ben Franklin's again? :) To some degree this is necessary, but it's pretty obvious that what Rudy has in mind, and always has had in mind, goes FAR, FAR beyond "to some degree". He wants to restrict, or eliminate, civil liberties in the name of "security". This is just one aspect of his controlling, autocratic personality -- he wants full, total control and will not accept anyone else having any. It's how he ran New York, and it's why New York won't be voting for him for president -- they grew sick of him while he was in office. He's a mean, nasty person who loves personal attacks and putdowns and would happily push for pretty much any imaginable restriction of our constitutional or civil rights that could in any way possibly be tied to "security". (if this is an exaggeration, it isn't much of one. He really is like that.)

Essentially, Giuliani is fascist in part because he loves having autocratic power (an essential part of fascism), in part because he completely disrespects civil liberties (also essential), in part because he doesn't like talking to anyone he doesn't like (great trait for leaders! Look how far it's gotten Bush!), and, as his constant "the Middle East is evil, evil, evil, be SCARED!" talk shows, is quite intolerant and has put effort into building up a threat that he hopes will cause people to cede all of their power to him. Because the more scared people are, the more likely they are to give up their rights.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:What sort of insane view is that? The freedom to have control of your life stripped away? I literally want to know if he actually knows what the word freedom means.

Ever asked Vladmir Putin or the Chinese government how they describe "democracy"? It'd be slightly different from our definition... :D

I think that comparison is applicable here, even if they go farther than he probably would. :) Giuliani knows full well what freedom means: it means what he wants it to mean.

Quote:DJ, surely you understand that in Ron Paul's world there is no government funding for science - or for anything else, for that matter, except perhaps a defensive army. You can disagree with that, but understand that he's not opposed to science so much as he's opposed to the government funding anything.

And that's one of the few things we could do to our government that would be even worse than what Bush has done to it. Incredibly, incredibly dangerous if it ever goes anywhere...

(Huckabee's plans for America would be almost as horrible if they went through, incidently.)

N-Man Wrote:Would you like us to discuss real, actual fascism? The corporatist economic model and all? Why is it so much of a stretch to describe Islamists as metaphorical fascists, when their societal ideals are actually quite similar to fascism - if for entirely different reasons - but not so much of a stretch to call Rudy Giuliani a fascist? Do you understand your own hypocrisy - calling Bush and Giuliani **"fascists" while refusing to acknowledge the term "Islamofascist" (which is, if as uninteresting as the term "neoliberal", at least somewhat vaguely accurate)?

As for the rest, I read your descriptions of "shredded civil rights", and I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I just don't believe that the things you cited constitute much of an affront to civil rights, unless used in particularly malicious ways.

As I said, there are not "islamofascists". They are theocrats, and the difference is important and significant. Fascists are not religious, theocrats are. It really does make a huge, huge difference.

Oh, and those were only a couple of things Bush has done to our civil liberties. Other things include revoking the right of habeus corpus, the Supreme Court nominees he chose revoking centuries of precedent in multiple cases (that 'centuries of precedent' one was when they said that police can break into your house with no warning if they have a search warrant. Before you actually had to get notification before they could do it; this right reached back centuries and was part of the British Common Law we inherited as the basis of our legal system. The conservative majority in the supreme court tossed that out, saying something like 'who cares if you're embarrassed by the police' or such.), all that stuff about indefinite holding of people who have not been charged with a crime (this goes so utterly, TOTALLY against everything that the American judicial system has ever stood for that it is simply astonishing that anyone even considered it, much less implemented it... previously habeus corpus had been suspended during wartime a few times, but always with the intent of bringing it back soon. Here the "war" can never end, so it is a permanent measure. The "War on Terror" is a gift that keeps on giving!), etc, etc, etc.

Quote:And yet, it did. After Tet is when politicians started motioning to "bring the troops home", renewing the enemy's energy and allowing him to make outrageous demands. Of course, it didn't happen instantly.

Relations between China and the Soviet Union became cold long before the 70s. Mao started being a little bitch soon after Stalin's death, when Khrushchev acknowledged that Uncle Joe was a bit of a genocidal maniac. It has been postulated that the USA could probably have invaded North Vietnam without causing a Chinese counterattack considering that situation (which was unknown at that point to US intelligentsia).

So you'd risk war with a nuclear-armed nation just on the THEORY that they might not attack? What a great idea... (during the Korean War, of course, China didn't have the bomb yet.)

As for Tet, it was a strategic defeat for the NVA and NLF, that is true. What it was most successful at doing was hurting American morale. But given that we never should had been in there in the first place and the whole war was based on lies and misconceptions (in addition to the whole "was Ho Chi Minh's government actually anti-American at the end of WWII?", you could also add on "the Gulf of Tonkin Incident was a forgery and a lie -- quite simply, it never happened. That was the excuse for war. Thus, the war was unjustified and based on lies, but was fought anyway because of how badly the US government wanted to fight it." and "the government lied to the American people consistently and blatantly throughout the war, pretending that we were "winning" when we were not (invading a village, killing whoever you found there, and then leaving is not a "victory".), understating or ignoring Vietnamese civilian casualties and displacement (do you really want to tell the American people that we have killed millions of innocents? FIVE MILLION people died in Indochina between 1959 and 1975!), saying that "if Vietnam goes communist it'll all fall like dominoes" when that did not happen, etc, etc, etc...

As for China and the Soviet Union, despite their significant differences, they worked together in Vietnam for years. China and the Soviet Union both supported and supplied the North Vietnamese. That only changed in the early '70s when China made peace with the US... but by then, thankfully, we weren't thinking about invading North Vietnam anymore.

Quote:I guess all those people who died in Rwanda and Bosnia didn't live in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of the UN - actually, I strongly believe in a one-world state - its problem is that it includes nations that are not liberal democracies. Those nations' governments should not be regarded as legitimate nor recognized in any way. If those governments were to be removed from the UN, then I have no doubt that it would have the moral imperative (and therefore the gumption) to act decisively.

Anyway, explain to me, in ten lines or less, what the UN, once it is "involved" will do in Iraq to solve or ease the situation.

Yeah, that's a real bind innit.

They need to hold talks between the three major groups, with international negotiators, and with clear statements that they would be rewarded for making peace, while continuing to fight would not be an option. Bush has given up and is just letting them fight and not talk; the important thing here is getting them to talk, not who gets them to do it. Either the UN or a Democratic administration could do the trick, I think, though of course any Democratic administration would get the UN involved too. Don't understate the capability of the international community... as I said, Rwanda ended when they finally got involved, Iran got rid of nuclear weapons because of European pressure, etc. Things could potentially happen in Iraq with the right international pressure, but we'll never know with anti-internationalists like the Bush administration in power here.

You are right, though, that having nations like Syria on the UN "Human Rights Commitee" is a disgrace and makes that body useless. The UN should be doing more to get nations to build democracy among the peoples of the world; it is a very hard task, but not an impossible one. As I said simply holding votes does nothing; you must instead build civic culture in nations that do not have it. Even though it does seem impossible, I think that it is... even in the Middle East, mostly devoid of such feelings, there are nations like Turkey that have real elections and government. Pakistan too, really, though its is more troubled of course. I don't think that not recognizing any autocratic nations is the solution, though... there are simply too many of them. We should punish the ones that are the worst human rights abusers for sure (China needs to be treated very differently... we can't because they make all of our stuff, but they need to be.), but punishing nations simply for being autocratic? No, we should be working on efforts to change them instead, within what is possible; not everything is.

Quote:Maybe. Vietnam was involved with the Soviets much earlier than you'd think. Ho Chi Minh was not so much pro-American as he was a proponent of the "Third Way" - technically neutral in the conflict between capitalism and communism, but really on the Soviet side. Third Way states were usually third world nations that weren't really communist, but naturally prone to seeing the USA as the enemy. Kissinger explained this fairly well in his book I mentioned earlier - third world countries could gain more, materially, by opposing the USA, since they were less likely to become confrontational than the USSR. Nasser gave the first example when building the Aswan dam by playing off the superpowers against each other, to see who would propose the most money, then finally denouncing the Americans as imperialists to gain points with the population.

Kissenger is a power-hungry warmonger... and as I said early on Ho Chi Minh did make some overtures to the Americans, which we ignored. Would he have ended up solidly in the Soviet camp anyway even if we had attempted to befriend Vietnam at the end of WWII and told France that we wouldn't support their effort to retake Vietnam (this would have led to a very quick failure of the French effort. We funded most of the French war in Indochina that ended in 1954.)? Possible, certainly, but we'll just never know, and it seems very hard to believe that that path would have led to a worse result than the one we got, given how horrifically badly things went there in the course we chose.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 17th January 2008

N-Man Wrote:Ron Paul would surely disagree; the market is all knowing. If the market decides that there's no money for research, it means there's no demand (and therefore need) for research. Yes, you can disagree with this, but many old men with doctorates in fancy disciplines like philosophy and economics have written long and boring books describing why they think it's true. That makes it a theory, and apparently one that Ron Paul adheres to.

The market is made up of idiots. Their doctorates failed to do any actual experiments to back it up. I base this on the fact that the market for quack medicine makes money up to and exceeding the market for legitimate medicine. The market is not all knowing. What do they base their conclusion on?

No, letting "the market" decide where research should be done is as short-sighted as the market itself. The market does not consider the long term results of research, only that which is immediate, but science for science's sake has value. For example, you could never have had a research department in the 1600's say "let's put all our money into making a way to put images and sounds of ourselves into everyone's home whenever we want". No, no matter how much money, they couldn't just make that happen. Science for it's own sake with no way to know how it might affect people in a practical sense was needed. That's where we get Maxwell's equations.

A large amount of economic philosophy is utter bunk.

Okay I do have more to say. Do you really think that a wide spread request from laypeople tells you if there is a proper need? By and large many people likely would not actually demand this or that bit of research if you told them about it, but the moment it's done, bam, suddenly their interest is perked up when they realize that this or that thing they would previously have thought was a waste of money actually benefits them. In a lot of science, demand comes AFTER the science, not before.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 19th January 2008

Dark Jaguar Wrote:The market is made up of idiots. Their doctorates failed to do any actual experiments to back it up. I base this on the fact that the market for quack medicine makes money up to and exceeding the market for legitimate medicine. The market is not all knowing. What do they base their conclusion on?

But, DJ, that is precisely the point. The market allows individuals to decide for themselves what they want. By funding science, you are telling people that they should want "legitimate" medicine. This infringes on their personal right to choose whether they want to treat their diabetes with insulin or with the root of the Papuan guava plant. What if they die because they picked the latter? Tough - it's the rule of the fittest. The market is only the reflection of society. If you live in a society where people believe in quack medicine, then of course the quack medicine industry will be large. If you try to fund legitimate medicine, that is social engineering, and it's Ron Paul's (I suppose) view that the government should not engage in social engineering. I'll repeat: it's a very logical and consistent opinion, which you may choose or not to agree with. To understand libertarianism and anarcho-capitalism, stop thinking that "WE" want or should want legitimate science - "WE" don't. In fact, there is no such thing as "WE", because "WE" implies an imaginary consensus.

Because there is no such thing as a complete consensus, by giving funding to certain domains, you are redistributing private property of individuals against their will, which is not something a legitimate state can do. Locke also talks about this, but I think a lot of libertarians go above and beyond what Locke called for. You'd have to go on and read the works of people like Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises and the like. Ayn Rand I suppose also touched on this, but apparently she was a bit of a cult figure, so approach with caution.

I personally agree with parts of this but not all - I believe in a role for the state in society, albeit a diminished one. I do agree with you that the scientific elite should have a place at the top of the structure - in that sense I'm a bit of a technocrat. But, do understand where Ron Paul and his ilk are coming from. It's fascinating, and nowhere near as nonsensical as you seem to believe it is.

Quote:A large amount of economic philosophy is utter bunk.

DJ, DJ, DJ... come on. Surely you realize that this is nonsense. Economics is a social science, and there is not really such a thing as "bunk" social science. While social scientists do try to proceed in a scientific manner, and there is a certain methodology to respect, there are no certainties like there are in "hard" sciences. We gather data, analyse it and interpret it based on empirical knowledge, and in the end we can try to infer some predictions from it, but it's nigh-on impossible to be certain about future events like you can, say in physics (if I let go of this apple, it will fall to the ground because --> gravity). You may know the mythical social science that allows you to make predictions as "psychohistory" from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series - we unfortunately still haven't come up with that yet. A teacher in one of my first semester classes, when talking about using absolute words in our projects (like: when A happens, social group B will always act in this manner...), joked that we would become immeasurably rich if we could ever discover such a hard-and-fast law.

What is amusing is that neoclassical economics (the kind Ron Paul adheres to) often claim to have a scientific model, with equations that can be observed to be true over and over (a basic one is cost-benefit analysis; people are rational and only do something if the benefit is greater than the cost). The problem is that their equations have to operate "all other things being equal", ie without the interference of outside factors, and while it may be possible to remove outside factors in the case of a hard science like physics, it's rather impossible to do when considering the whole or even part of human society. At any rate, I believe, in neoclassical economics, funding for research is given by individuals called "entrepreneurs" who thereby attempt to identify potential demand that has gone unidentified up to then (and thereby make lots of money). Scientists can be entrepreneurs as well; if they believe they can discover something that will lead to even greater discoveries (like, I guess, what you were talking about) then nothing stops them from presenting those projects to people with capital (money) so they can further their research.

Like I said, I think this is how it goes; I'm not an economist and you certainly aren't either, but I guarantee you they have thought their model through, so please don't dismiss it offhand. I'm sure Keynesian (interventionist) economists have loads of criticism concerning R&D in a fully free market as well, but I really don't consider myself educated enough in the matter to tackle the subject.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 20th January 2008

Well I really don't want my fate in the hands of a free market. If a little taxation and government funding is needed to keep progress on track, so be it.

I'm in favor of a free market but not completely free. I also don't think that a corporation in and of itself should be considered to have "rights". The people that own it, sure, but not the company itself. The fact is, places like CERN are not currently being built by companies. It takes tax money to do that.

The thing is, NASA existing and groups building CERN don't stop a free market from building their own versions in a race to the finish, and yet they don't seem to do it. There's a reason we elect leaders after all, and it's to find people that can decide where tax money is spent since the majority WON'T be stepping up to start all these projects. The free market is great in the sense of freedom but never be foolish enough to assume it is some wise amalgum of human knowledge there. In the same way, Wikipedia is a free market of ideas but at most it's just a tool, a launching point for actual research.

The reality is, yes there IS bunk social science. Some of it is legit, but the biggest clue that you have major problems and a lack of evidence is the sheer number of contrary hypothesis out there about it all and no real way to say which one is better than the other.

Rand is a fool. I can sympathize with her situation in a horrible communist upbringing but her ideals are about as evil a corruption of "logic" as one can find. Most of her conclusions all seem very nonsequiter, and she seems to get the idea that every single thing she ever thought was logically consistant. It had all the buzz words of rational thought but it all falls apart on close examination. Further, a moral system that actually operates that way would disintegrate in far too many real world situations. How is a system of "never use force unless they use it first" (an ideal I can get behind as an ideal but not a randian absolute) supposed to prevent a kid from burning their hand on a stove? Heck her whole philosophy didn't even seem to consider kids at all. What's her philosophy say about abandoning a child? According to her, it would not only be "acceptable" to do so but wrong to legally require someone, even if it's an orphanage or some institution paid for by taxes, to take over. Tough luck baby. Next time try being born with more merit. What good is a new born baby after all anyway?

Let me be clear. I would never suggest it be illegal for one to buy quack medicine or to make it illegal for people to believe this or that bit of tomfoolery. However, I AM in favor of social engineering. I disagree with the force angle in favor of the education angle. Further, I AM in favor of requiring any and all offered products to be tested for effectiveness and banned if they are found lacking. This is a "free market with oversight". Now sure someone might say "well that's not TOTALLY free" but neither is the average person. I give up my right to kill you and further expect that right to be stripped from everyone else whether they want it or not, because I realize it damages others. It's the same with scams and what they do to people. I consider most consumer watch programs in the government lack the teeth to do the job though... Often lots of things are just let go. Again, don't arrest someone who owns it. Heck, don't even arrest someone who sells the stuff so long as they don't claim it can do anything it can't do (directly or by knowing implication).

It gets to the other point though, these places need funding. That's where taxes are needed. It's not like these places can exist on their own. Current scientific experiments are very expensive. The thing is, in the infancy of science it was cheaper because the studies were on the much more easily visible and readily apparent aspects of physics. As that gets studied more subtle stuff is found, which requires more refined instruments, and today the effects that scientists have questions about are so subtle they require massive installations like CERN that look like Dr. Wily's castle/laboratory. It's worth it though because in strange eons even death may die.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Great Rumbler - 20th January 2008

Quote:If a little taxation and government funding is needed to keep progress on track, so be it.

Let me ask you this, who gets to decide what progress is or isn't and who gets to decided whether we should or should not have progress and in what areas?

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2008

Scientists would do best, I would imagine. Substantial government funding is certainly needed for much of anything useful to happen, but partisanship in appropriations doesn't really help anyone long-term... even so though, it's unavoidable. Ideally the scientists in the government agencies would make requests, and lawmakers would then take those requests and work with it.

Taxes are good; they make government work, and government is good overall. Of course this can be mismanaged, as Bush has (cutting off family-planning funding for nations that want to teach birth control and contraception? Banning government funding of stem-cell research when the alternative is that those stem cells are simply going to be thrown away? Politics should not have a place in decisions how to allocate money for science... safety and good sense should, but politics? The EPA should not be making decisions based on the political opinions of the administration, as they have under Bush, but based on the actual SCIENCE behind the decisions coming before them!), but even so, overall it is a good thing.

Anyway, the free market left alone? Well, look what happens when we do that... monopolies, trusts, industry elites telling the government how to spend its money... these things are bad and should be avoided. Capitalism as practiced, without government action, turns toward monopoly, as history shows. There must be government controls. Of course, the issue of how far exactly to take those controls is an extremely difficult one, and I'm pretty bad at economics, so I can't really say...

Oh yes, I am definitely in favor of tying free-market trading to environmental and political issues -- ideally we would NOT be trading with China without substantial duties being put on all of their goods because of the fact that they are the world's #1 human rights abuser. We should NOT have free-trade treaties that do not have environmental qualifications (so we make as sure as possible that the treaty will not wreck the environment of the nation in question -- the factories being built there need to be at least as safe and environmentally friendly as ones here...) and human-rights ones as well, as above. NAFTA has been a horrible failure, and one of its most prominent failings (beyond loss of American jobs) is what it's done to Mexico... Mexico has NOT been helped like some thought it would. Those factories are nothing like American ones in safety, pollution, and, most importantly (for Mexican ones), wages...

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Great Rumbler - 20th January 2008

Quote:Scientists would do best, I would imagine.

Alright, but why should a scientist decide what's best for me? Why can't all the scientists and experts come to me and compete for my hard-earned money? Why should the government just take my money and give it out to people to do research on things that I don't want?

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 20th January 2008

A Black Falcon Wrote:Anyway, the free market left alone? Well, look what happens when we do that... monopolies, trusts, industry elites telling the government how to spend its money... these things are bad and should be avoided. Capitalism as practiced, without government action, turns toward monopoly, as history shows. There must be government controls. Of course, the issue of how far exactly to take those controls is an extremely difficult one, and I'm pretty bad at economics, so I can't really say...

Neoclassical economists would tell you that it's government intervention that causes monopolies and the like - and if industry elites can tell the government how to spend its money, that's because the government has money to spend, which is the problem in the first place. Libertarians are opposed to big government because it disrupts the free market, yes; but they're also opposed to it because it allows all kinds of lobbies and interests to have a say. If the government has simple tasks and little money, it won't become a pole of attraction for all these financial and political interests.

Roosevelt's New Deal (and its succession today) was the work of Keynesian economists who said that the government should intervene to "fix" the market that was broken at the time of the Crash of 1929. Still, there are some even today that say the Great Depression was the work of governments that failed to properly follow natural market cycles (by greatly expanding the currency reserve at the time of the crash, for example) because they weren't properly understood at the time. Like I said, I don't know nearly enough about economics to decide who's right and who's wrong, but I definitely think it's a big mistake to say "oh well it's as clear as day, these guys are just sold to big business" or whatever.

To get back at the original topic, John McCain is doing well, and I like him quite a bit as well - he was actually my favorite at the start, but totally lost me when he started going on about religion some six months back, and then he just seemed to disappear over the summer... fingers crossed, he'll get the nomination. If it turns out to be Romney or Huckabee against Obama, then I'll go for Obama - on the other hand, if it comes down to either of those two against Hilary, I might as well just shut down the TV.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2008

Great Rumbler Wrote:Alright, but why should a scientist decide what's best for me? Why can't all the scientists and experts come to me and compete for my hard-earned money? Why should the government just take my money and give it out to people to do research on things that I don't want?

Someone has to. The only real alternative is direct democracy, and that doesn't work anywhere larger than a small town... ballot initiatives are all well and good (and I think they're great), but you couldn't run a government with just them. You vote for people to do exactly that, and that's the only way things could possibly work in a country as big as ours and you know it... your real point here is "we shouldn't be spending money on these things", it seems clear to me, and I obviously couldn't disagree more. Nobody likes EVERYTHING the government is doing, but that's why we have things like primaries and elections -- so people can choose the candidates who best line up with their views.

N-Man Wrote:To get back at the original topic, John McCain is doing well, and I like him quite a bit as well - he was actually my favorite at the start, but totally lost me when he started going on about religion some six months back, and then he just seemed to disappear over the summer... fingers crossed, he'll get the nomination. If it turns out to be Romney or Huckabee against Obama, then I'll go for Obama - on the other hand, if it comes down to either of those two against Hilary, I might as well just shut down the TV.

Views-wise, I'd vote for Kucinich first. I don't totally agree with him (I think his idea that if we get back in the UN's favor we can pretty much totally leave Iraq right now with no problem is a bit unrealistic, but it's a start anyway), but I agree with him more overall than anyone else, for sure. Of the major candidates, though, I guess issues-wise Edwards is best... he wasn't great on Iraq back in its first year (he wasn't opposed then), but none of the top three candidates really were, and on domestic policy he is clearly the most progressive. Between Hillary and Obama, though, I definitely prefer Hillary, though I'm sure Obama would be just as good. The Republicans... well, let's just say that I'm happy that the Democrats have clear leads in almost all of the polls. McCain does best, for some reason... in 2000 he could pretend to be a "maverick", but now, after he has spent seven years trying to be the best standard Bush-supporting Republican he possibly could? Ridiculous. He's also a warmonger (like Giuliani and Bush) and, like both of those others, runs his campaign based on fear -- "Vote for me because if you vote for anyone else horrible things will happen!" (I know, this is not totally absent on the Democratic side either, but it's nowhere NEAR as bad.) Okay, I can understand criticizing others for lack of experience in foreign policy (Obama, Huckabee, Romney...). But they could learn... Clinton came into office knowing very little about foreign policy, but turned out to be quite good at it. It all depends on the circumstances, the person, and the quality of their advisers... just because Bush turned out so horribly badly after coming in knowing little about foreign policy doesn't mean that the same thing would happen next time. Still... the Bush example should be a cautionary tale... so I'm not sure on the issue.

(Oh yeah, and that Romney victory in Nevada? Over 90% of the Mormons in Nevada who voted in the Republican primary voted for Romney. 25% of the Republicans there were Mormons, so they gave him almost half of his votes...)

Anyway, the one good thing I can say about McCain is that he's the only Republican saying anything at all about global warming, which is the greatest challenge of our time. Other than that, though, he's as bad as the others.

Oh yes, and how about this post of mine? http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113656&postcount=74

Iowa Caucuses Today! - N-Man - 20th January 2008

A Black Falcon Wrote:As I said, there are not "islamofascists". They are theocrats, and the difference is important and significant. Fascists are not religious, theocrats are. It really does make a huge, huge difference.

OK, let's go over this one more time. Giuliani is a fascist because he's authoritarian. Islamists are authoritarians as well. Since being authoritarian is enough to be called a fascist - according to your own definition - I fail to see why Islamists can't be called fascists. So what we can do is either use your definition and call both Giuliani and Islamists "fascists", OR we can use the word "fascist" properly and in reference to extreme nationalism, the corporatist economic model etc. etc. and not call either Giuliani or Islamists fascists. Pick one. Not half of one and half the other.

Quote:Oh, and those were only a couple of things Bush has done to our civil liberties. Other things include revoking the right of habeus corpus, the Supreme Court nominees he chose revoking centuries of precedent in multiple cases (that 'centuries of precedent' one was when they said that police can break into your house with no warning if they have a search warrant. Before you actually had to get notification before they could do it; this right reached back centuries and was part of the British Common Law we inherited as the basis of our legal system. The conservative majority in the supreme court tossed that out, saying something like 'who cares if you're embarrassed by the police' or such.), all that stuff about indefinite holding of people who have not been charged with a crime (this goes so utterly, TOTALLY against everything that the American judicial system has ever stood for that it is simply astonishing that anyone even considered it, much less implemented it... previously habeus corpus had been suspended during wartime a few times, but always with the intent of bringing it back soon. Here the "war" can never end, so it is a permanent measure. The "War on Terror" is a gift that keeps on giving!), etc, etc, etc.

You're exaggerating. I don't know the specifics of this, but it has a lot to do with whether you can be classified as an "unlawful enemy combatant", and at any rate courts have generally been upholding habeas corpus in the cases that have been brought to them. Beyond the laws of the USA though, there is a serious question of what to do with terrorists or foreign combatants - POWs that don't belong to an actual protagonist in a war. While I do think that the rights of US citizens ought to be protected, I'm not certain that things like the Geneva convention should apply to terrorists - they certainly don't fight according to its rules. Ultimately, I think there should be devised a way to identify just what an "unlawful enemy combatant" is. We need a new Geneva convention for the Terrorist Age.

Quote:So you'd risk war with a nuclear-armed nation just on the THEORY that they might not attack? What a great idea... (during the Korean War, of course, China didn't have the bomb yet.)

Of course not. This is in retrospect. You can, of course, only go on intelligence that you DO have. Maybe it would have been possible to get that intelligence.

Quote:As for Tet, it was a strategic defeat for the NVA and NLF, that is true. What it was most successful at doing was hurting American morale. But given that we never should had been in there in the first place and the whole war was based on lies and misconceptions (in addition to the whole "was Ho Chi Minh's government actually anti-American at the end of WWII?", you could also add on "the Gulf of Tonkin Incident was a forgery and a lie -- quite simply, it never happened. That was the excuse for war. Thus, the war was unjustified and based on lies, but was fought anyway because of how badly the US government wanted to fight it." and "the government lied to the American people consistently and blatantly throughout the war, pretending that we were "winning" when we were not (invading a village, killing whoever you found there, and then leaving is not a "victory".), understating or ignoring Vietnamese civilian casualties and displacement (do you really want to tell the American people that we have killed millions of innocents? FIVE MILLION people died in Indochina between 1959 and 1975!), saying that "if Vietnam goes communist it'll all fall like dominoes" when that did not happen, etc, etc, etc...

Of course, you start a war with a diplomatic incident - how else? Wars are fought for inherent strategic reasons, not because of "incidents" - those are just the excuse, they've always been. As for "lying" to the American public, I'd say that, considering how weak-kneed they turned out to be precisely after Tet, it was only a bad idea because of the eventual backlash.

Domino theory has its pros and cons. Laos and Cambodia did fall to communism shortly after Vietnam, but the Indonesian communists had been defeated earlier on and Thailand turned out to be surprisingly stable. You do need to take in account factors in other countries, domino theory can't explain everything. I would say that Vietnam definitely emboldened communists worldwide.

Quote:They need to hold talks between the three major groups, with international negotiators, and with clear statements that they would be rewarded for making peace, while continuing to fight would not be an option. Bush has given up and is just letting them fight and not talk; the important thing here is getting them to talk, not who gets them to do it. Either the UN or a Democratic administration could do the trick, I think, though of course any Democratic administration would get the UN involved too. Don't understate the capability of the international community... as I said, Rwanda ended when they finally got involved, Iran got rid of nuclear weapons because of European pressure, etc. Things could potentially happen in Iraq with the right international pressure, but we'll never know with anti-internationalists like the Bush administration in power here.

Rwanda, Iran? Are these dreams you had? Rwanda ended when everyone was dead - or rather, when rebels finally ousted the genocidal government, and Iran for all we know is building a nuke right now with Russian help. The Europeans are just as freaked out about Iran as anyone, and the French foreign minister even said that they would support an armed intervention if need be.

I'm not sure I follow your point on Iraq. What more do we need to do to "get them to talk"? Elected people from every ethnic group have been talking for a while now and not getting anywhere. There are some things we could do to help along those talks, including trying to stabilize the situation military-wise - and this, I believe, is what the current US policy is. What else do you want to do? Force them to make a decision? It'll just make the fighting flare up again.

Quote:You are right, though, that having nations like Syria on the UN "Human Rights Commitee" is a disgrace and makes that body useless. The UN should be doing more to get nations to build democracy among the peoples of the world; it is a very hard task, but not an impossible one. As I said simply holding votes does nothing; you must instead build civic culture in nations that do not have it. Even though it does seem impossible, I think that it is... even in the Middle East, mostly devoid of such feelings, there are nations like Turkey that have real elections and government. Pakistan too, really, though its is more troubled of course. I don't think that not recognizing any autocratic nations is the solution, though... there are simply too many of them. We should punish the ones that are the worst human rights abusers for sure (China needs to be treated very differently... we can't because they make all of our stuff, but they need to be.), but punishing nations simply for being autocratic? No, we should be working on efforts to change them instead, within what is possible; not everything is.

Well, you need to pick one. Either we shut our door to autocratic regimes like China, or we try and build a "civic culture" in those countries - by trading, in all likelihood. You can't just shut down commerce and have them live in abject poverty then try and help them build a "civic culture", it's nonsense.

Quote:Kissenger is a power-hungry warmonger... and as I said early on Ho Chi Minh did make some overtures to the Americans, which we ignored. Would he have ended up solidly in the Soviet camp anyway even if we had attempted to befriend Vietnam at the end of WWII and told France that we wouldn't support their effort to retake Vietnam (this would have led to a very quick failure of the French effort. We funded most of the French war in Indochina that ended in 1954.)? Possible, certainly, but we'll just never know, and it seems very hard to believe that that path would have led to a worse result than the one we got, given how horrifically badly things went there in the course we chose.

Kissinger is a textbook realist , and you mostly know him as a power-hungry whatever because he was very successful - any realist will look like a power-hungry warmonger, but most of the time you don't hear about them because they don't become media sensations like Dr. Kissinger did. Anyway, he's recognized as an authority on international relations and is widely studied. Who Ho Chi Minh would have sided with should the USA not have opposed him from the start is interesting but difficult to ascertain - IMO he would have edged towards the Third Way countries, IE I'll side with whoever gives me the most money, or I'll just take everybody's money and side with the Soviets in the end because they have the biggest guns anyway. That may be better than what happened historically, but it's not better than what could have happened - like, for example, winning the war.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 21st January 2008

(I'll hopefully deal with the other parts later)

Quote:OK, let's go over this one more time. Giuliani is a fascist because he's authoritarian. Islamists are authoritarians as well. Since being authoritarian is enough to be called a fascist - according to your own definition - I fail to see why Islamists can't be called fascists. So what we can do is either use your definition and call both Giuliani and Islamists "fascists", OR we can use the word "fascist" properly and in reference to extreme nationalism, the corporatist economic model etc. etc. and not call either Giuliani or Islamists fascists. Pick one. Not half of one and half the other.

You say it yourself right there. Fascists are NATIONALISTS. They concentrate on building state power and the total autocratic rule of one person. Islamic theocracy as most Islamic radicals want it is something very, very different. State power? Kind of, but that power is not held by state authorities, but by religious ones who have power over the state authorities -- see the government of Iran, where the President is actually powerless. It is the religious authorities and religious police who actually run Iran... this is not just a semantic difference. Theocracy and nationalism are in many ways opposing forces, in fact -- nationalism wishes to build up the state at the cost of all else, and requires (or at least seems to end up resulting in) finding enemies for your people to focus on so there is an "other" to compare to. Theocracy, as practiced by either the Medieval Christian church or the current Islamic world, is NOT about nationalism. It is about religion, so all nations that share your religion are considered similar, friendly nations and all others are considered the "other". Why do you keep ignoring the fact that I keep emphasizing the fact that Islamic radicals are theocrats or would-be theocrats? Theocracy is not fascism! They do have similarities, but they are not the same -- just like how applied communism and applied fascism have similarities (Hitler's Germany vs. Stalin's Russia), but they are actually on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

In short, Islamic radicals do not want to build up state power. They want to build up religious power over the state, and want the absolute rule of religious law. Fascists want absolute power too, but absolute power held by the state authorities. Religion is not important to fascists, but total control of everything byt state authorities is -- hence the old saying that 'Mussolini made the trains run on time'. On the other hand, Islamic theocracies do not have an interest in having that kind of control. Look at how in Arab nations tribal identity means so much -- Iraq is not a nation of just three factions, but a nation of many tribes. People's identities are to their tribes, whose leaders follow the religious authorities's commands. This is a much looser, more diffuse control structure than a fascist state; Islamic states have no interest in building up the system of total state control that is the core of what fascism is. The comparison makes absolutely no sense, and exists only to inflame the anger of Americans so that they can be convinced to support wars against Islamic nations such as the ones in Iraq, Afghanistan, and prospectively Iran.

Quote:Rwanda, Iran? Are these dreams you had? Rwanda ended when everyone was dead - or rather, when rebels finally ousted the genocidal government, and Iran for all we know is building a nuke right now with Russian help. The Europeans are just as freaked out about Iran as anyone, and the French foreign minister even said that they would support an armed intervention if need be.

Rwanda: A major failure of the UN, and it admits that it should have done something. Still, UN peacekeepers did eventually come in and help keep things calm later on.

Iran: The latest NIE shows that those neocon fantasies are just that... I certainly admit to being worried by Iran, primarily thanks to their abysmal human rights record and sometimes unpredictable leadership, but war is not the answer... international pressure does work, as the halted work on the bomb shows.

Iraq: you ignored this one, but again, 1991-2003 Iraq is a great example of how UN action works, and works well. The sanctions against Sadaam, backed up with threat of force and the no-fly zones, did a good job of reining in Sadaam.

There are plenty more examples... UN peacekeepers have not always been successful because of the strong limitations they have on use of force, so when a nation starts up a real war again they can do little, but even so they have done great work in many places. Despite the horrific failure at Srebnica, I'm sure that the Bosnian mission did save many lives, for instance... in fact, UN peacekeepers are still in Bosnia, providing a vital independent force that is not Bosnian Muslim or Serb. NATO and UN forces in Kosovo serve a similar mission there. In Haiti they have been about all that has kept the place from falling apart even worse in these last few decades. The UN has also just gotten its first peacekeepers in Darfur. It is far from enough, as the Sudanese government is obstructing them in every way possible, but it's a start, and an important step up in prominence from the African Union soldiers there before.

Quote:I'm not sure I follow your point on Iraq. What more do we need to do to "get them to talk"? Elected people from every ethnic group have been talking for a while now and not getting anywhere. There are some things we could do to help along those talks, including trying to stabilize the situation military-wise - and this, I believe, is what the current US policy is. What else do you want to do? Force them to make a decision? It'll just make the fighting flare up again.

I believe that the Bush administration is not actually making that effort. They have pretty much given up on fixing Iraq, and are just in a holding pattern until the next administration can come in and try to deal with the mess... if they were serious about it we'd hear things about progress of some kind, and we don't. So the solution is, get international help (UN negociators), have them sit down and talk, and seriously work at it until an agreement is forged. It can happen with effort, but this administration isn't applying that kind of effort. Of course, some of that effort is impossible given the way that the Bush administration hates the UN, and without the UN what we can do is limited, but even so, they could be doing more than they are.

Quote:Well, you need to pick one. Either we shut our door to autocratic regimes like China, or we try and build a "civic culture" in those countries - by trading, in all likelihood. You can't just shut down commerce and have them live in abject poverty then try and help them build a "civic culture", it's nonsense.

What, are you defending good old "we'll trade with them and THEN they'll become more democratic!" I would think that the total failure of that policy in China, where the nation has industrialized but not democratized, would show how that policy doesn't work. No, I think that applying economic pain would actually work better... people need an incentive to change things on a large scale, and we sure aren't giving them that incentive now.

For the really bad regimes, like Burma, it is frustrating that it seems that all we can do is sit here while they repress their people and crush protests... I feel like we should be doing something more to get rid of the junta, but I don't know what real options we have... we can't cut off our trade with them any more than we already have. We could hurt them a lot by cutting trade with China, though, given that China is their major trading partner and some of that stuff China is buying from Burma is then resold to the US (endangered rainforest wood, straight from the jungles of Burma to your home!). I wish there was more we could do than that, but we can't go in and invade or something, as that always just makes things exponentially worse. As long as China is supporting them there's not much we can do without going after China, it seems... :(

Quote:Kissinger is a textbook realist , and you mostly know him as a power-hungry whatever because he was very successful - any realist will look like a power-hungry warmonger, but most of the time you don't hear about them because they don't become media sensations like Dr. Kissinger did. Anyway, he's recognized as an authority on international relations and is widely studied. Who Ho Chi Minh would have sided with should the USA not have opposed him from the start is interesting but difficult to ascertain - IMO he would have edged towards the Third Way countries, IE I'll side with whoever gives me the most money, or I'll just take everybody's money and side with the Soviets in the end because they have the biggest guns anyway. That may be better than what happened historically, but it's not better than what could have happened - like, for example, winning the war.

Kissenger thought that if we bombed the Vietnamese people more, we would win the war. He was wrong, obviously. He was absolutely power hungry; why else would a Jewish man become close political allies with as well-known an antisemite as Richard Nixon? And he was absolutely a warmonger, as his support for the Vietnam war proves.

I bolded that last sentence for a reason... it is just such a horrific thing to say. That we could have "won", and that it was WORTH winning a war which pointlessly killed millions of people for absolutely no gain, is an unbelievable statement to make, and it really depresses me how the Republicans cannot admit the truth about Vietnam, even now so many decades later. Short of killing every person in Vietnam, we could not win. Five million deaths did not break them; more would not have either. Every person we displaced (virtually all of them, again, in the half of Vietnam WE ran), every person who our puppet dictators in the South Vietnamese government had killed, created more enemies than people it killed... despite the casualties and danger, the NLF kept up the resistance in the South for so many years because of the massive amount of popular support from the South Vietnamese government. How can you "win" when you have no allies and are only killing indiscriminately? Kissenger's "breaking point", the point where too many people have died and a nation gives up... they did not break as he expected, and clearly were not going to. Not that we were defending anything overly noble anyway.

As for Laos and Cambodia, both nations fell to Communism to a large extent BECAUSE of the Vietnam war, not after it. The long war destabilized and wrecked both nations' governments. US bombings (which were illegal but were carried on for years -- the infamous 'secret bombings') killed huge numbers of people, sometimes disrupting the enemy but always hurting the local government. Cambodia, in fact, shows the ridiculousness of American policy in the region every bit as much as Vietnam. We began bombing Cambodia to stop the Khmer Rouge communist-aligned rebels. We forced them into hiding, but also utterly devastated Cambodia, killing huge numbers of people and destroying the countryside. Bombers had quotas -- they had to drop a certain amount, whether or not there were targets, so they'd just have to drop on whatever they saw, or just bomb the forests or something.

When the bombings finally stopped at the end of the war, the Khmer Rouge came out of hiding. The Cambodian government had been ruined by the American bombings meant to "support" it, so it was easy for the Khmer Rouge to take over the nation. They proceeded to start a genocide that would kill at least a million people in a nation of only a few million, the "Killing Fields". By this point, China and Russia had split and China and the US were improving relations. Vietnam had aligned with Russia. The Khmer Rouge stuck with the Chinese side. Within a few years, Vietnam invaded Cambodia, with their stated purpose being stopping the Khmer Rouge from continuing their reign of terror. They took over a large part of the country and, indeed, stopped the genocide. The Khmer Rouge fought back, of course, and the war continued on at least a small scale through much of the 1980s. America? We backed the Khmer Rouge (Communist) mass murders! We did it through China of course, so that it was China actually supplying the Khmer Rouge while we only had to supply China in the joint effort, but we supported them, even going to the lengths of supporting the Khmer Rouge's claims that they, not the Vietnamese-led Cambodian government, should be Cambodia's UN-recognized government. Anything that hurt Vietnam was considered good policy in Cold War America... this only stopped after the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.

(and yes, I am being consistent on the trade thing -- I said that we should tax or limit (based on safety would be good, I think) Chinese imports now, not totally ban them... bans should be reserved for the worst of nations. Well, like China... but anyway, not like Vietnam or Cuba. Restrictions... yes. Total bans that destroy their economies well beyond the point where it makes any sense... no.)

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Great Rumbler - 21st January 2008

Quote:Someone has to. The only real alternative is direct democracy, and that doesn't work anywhere larger than a small town... ballot initiatives are all well and good (and I think they're great), but you couldn't run a government with just them. You vote for people to do exactly that, and that's the only way things could possibly work in a country as big as ours and you know it... your real point here is "we shouldn't be spending money on these things", it seems clear to me, and I obviously couldn't disagree more. Nobody likes EVERYTHING the government is doing, but that's why we have things like primaries and elections -- so people can choose the candidates who best line up with their views.

You shouldn't make assumptions like that. Actually, barring a few exceptions, I think we should be spending more on scientific development, particularly in space travel.

The way your statement was phrased sure seemed to be saying "they aren't spending it exactly on only the things I'd like so that's my excuse for saying that I don't want us to spend money on such things"... what DO you think, then?

Quote:You shouldn't make assumptions like that. Actually, barring a few exceptions, I think we should be spending more on scientific development, particularly in space travel.

This kind of contradicts your previous statement.

It's called "spurring debate".

The libertarian view that the government shouldn't be handing out money like water is a legitimate on and in some ways I agree, but there's also a lot of developments that we probably wouldn't have without the government putting money into those programs. You only have to look at the laundry list of inventions that came out of the military and NASA.

On the other hand, the problem with our current system is that there are so many issues to be dealt with that it's utterly impossible to find the candidate that supports everything you want them to. So, cut out all the ambiguity and let each person decide what they want for themselves. Just take the money you would have spent on taxes and pass along a donation to NASA, or a university research institute working on curing diabetes, or whatever.

Our current system is by no means perfect.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 21st January 2008

Evangelical bullshit

alien space marine Wrote:Evangelical bullshit

Yeah, Benny Hinn is crazy.

"Pork-barrel spending" and all that stuff McCain constantly rails on against, you mean? Honestly, for the most part I don't think that there's much of a problem. It's only "pork" if you don't live there... but when it's projects YOUR congressperson is getting for YOUR district, it's well-spent government money, of course!

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Either it's bad or it's good, and I think it's mostly good. Sure, the process should be more open -- it's not right that congresspeople can add things without any requirement for oversight, without their name being attached to the requisition in many cases, and with the bill passed without knowing what's actually in it. I know that with the length of bills it's impossible to read everything, but even so, more disclosure would be good. But stopping "pork" entirely. I don't think that that is a good goal.

Quote:On the other hand, the problem with our current system is that there are so many issues to be dealt with that it's utterly impossible to find the candidate that supports everything you want them to. So, cut out all the ambiguity and let each person decide what they want for themselves. Just take the money you would have spent on taxes and pass along a donation to NASA, or a university research institute working on curing diabetes, or whatever.

Not enough people would do that to provide enough funding.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Great Rumbler - 22nd January 2008

You think bored billionaires wouldn't pick up the tab somewhere along the line?

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 22nd January 2008

Great Rumbler Wrote:Yeah, Benny Hinn is crazy.

He isnt just crazy but plain evil

The guy preached that all homosexuals in america would be blown up by fire in the year 1995 ;(false prophet/charlatan/Traveling tequila salesmen) A wave of his magic hand and people drop to the ground into convulsions believing that geebus is flying into them.

What relevance does this have to this thread? Besides the fact many of the candidates and voters actually believe in BS like this.

I believe that Benny Hinn should have his ass cheeks stapled shut for all the those fools he swindled .

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 24th January 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/23/bush.iraq/index.html

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2008

Great new editorial on the ridiculousness of the "We actually won Vietnam!" argument that the right has come up with (as you can see in this thread).

That argument, that we could have won, is absolutely absurd and totally wrong. I've tried to say that before here, but this says it even better...

This is important because of the kinds of things the Republicans (and John McCain) keep saying about Vietnam... it must be shown to be as delusional as it is (that is, the people who believe it believe it because they are willfully deluding themselves).

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/02/19/the_revisionist_approach_to_vietnam/

Quote:The revisionist approach to Vietnam
Email|Print| Text size – + By H.D.S. Greenway
February 19, 2008

FORTY YEARS ago this week, as twilight fell over the Republic of South Vietnam, I was lying on a stretcher in the rain outside a military hospital on a base near Hue. There were so many casualties that day that we had to wait our turn for overworked and overwhelmed doctors to attend to us. First came the wounded who could be saved, putting aside those who could not. Triage, they called it. Then came the lesser wounds, such as my own, which could wait their turn.
more stories like this

* Castro, McCain spar over Cuban torture in Vietnam
* Bird flu continues march 4 years later
* Rocket at museum found to be live
* Illegal Vietnamese face US deportation
* New generation of homeless vets emerge

The surgeon who eventually operated on me was furious - furious that he had been told to treat Americans first, leaving our South Vietnamese allies out in the rain.

It was the Tet Offensive, the turning point in the war. For it was Tet that brought the United States to sue for peace, and President Johnson to give up running for another term. Negotiations dragged on and on, and seven years later it was all over.

Today there is a school of thought that says Tet was a terrible defeat for the Communist Vietnamese, that it should never have caused us to flinch, that the war was basically won by 1972, and that if we had only stayed the course we would have won it. Henry Kissinger has said as much, whole generations of soldiers were told that, and, it seems, that many around President Bush believe it as well.

When Iraq became the quagmire it is, I used to wonder how we could make the same mistake again so soon. But then I realized that Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld were in the Oval office with President Ford when Saigon fell. Perhaps they, and the worshipers of American power, felt that, this time, we would get it right.

In a strictly military sense, Tet was a defeat for the communists. But as the Prussian military strategist, Karl von Clausewitz, said, "War is a continuation of policy by other means . . . a real political instrument." And politically, Tet showed there was no light at the end of the tunnel, and that to fight on in an endless war was not something the American public was going to stand for. Vietnam showed that we could win every battle and still lose the war. And if I am not mistaken, we have never lost a battle in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Lewis Sorley's book "A Better War" is the most persuasive account I've read advocating this revisionist theory. It is filled with statistics to prove its case. But let me cite two examples of battles that I observed. In 1971, operation Lam Son 719 was an attempt by the South Vietnamese, with American air power, to cut the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos. Sorley's statistics would have you believe that it was a success. But those of us who were there, and saw the South Vietnamese coming out of Laos beaten with their tail between their legs, know differently. Statistics seldom tell the whole story.Continued...

Quote:Page 2 of 2 --

In 1972, during the Easter Offensive, Sorley recounts how the South Vietnamese held the line on the My Chanh River, north of Hue, with the help of American fire power, but not American troops, who had mostly gone by then.
more stories like this

I remember that night, with the terrifying sound of North Vietnamese tanks in the dark, and the calm voice of an American adviser speaking softly into his radio, saying, "Lend me your assets." And in the assets came, fighter bombers from Thailand, B-52s from Guam, naval gunfire from the South China Sea, and the South Vietnamese held.

But Sorley is too honest not to mention the other side of the story. The North Vietnamese failed to overrun the country, but the Easter Offensive ended with huge swaths of South Vietnamese territory lost. And the cease-fire that followed did not - could not - require the North Vietnamese to withdraw back across the border. South Vietnam, even with our air power, could hot hurl them back. Thus was South Vietnam fatally outflanked, awaiting the next offensive. And with the North Vietnamese there would always be another offensive.

Sorely points to the success of pacification efforts in the South. But when I drove through the Mekong River Delta, after the cease-fire that left opposing forces in place, village after village that we had on our maps as pacified had raised the Viet Cong flag. I met with a Viet Cong leader in the forest who told me that South Vietnam was a hollow shell that would soon collapse of its own weight. He turned out to be right.

In the end, the South Vietnamese leadership could not inspire the way the communist nationalists did, perhaps because the South seemed to be fighting for foreigners. For the United States, as for France before, it was basically a colonial war, not that vital to our national interests. For Hanoi, it was everything.

When the end came in 1975, and my helicopter lifted away from the American Embassy in Saigon, with the ammunition dumps blowing up in the gathering dark, I felt that we had betrayed our allies - not because we were unwilling to continue the war, but because we had gone to war there in the first place, unnecessarily and foolishly, understanding nothing, only to cause more death and destruction than could ever be justified.

There is little to be gained in saying but if only this, or only that. Constant surges won all our battles, but it was never enough for the South Vietnamese to stand alone. The revisionists have forgotten their Clausewitz.

H.D.S. Greenway's column appears regularly in the Globe.

Iowa Caucuses Today! - Dark Jaguar - 19th February 2008

Someone's saying we "won Vietnam"? That's like saying the burning of the original president's house way back when was "totally part of our genius plan".

Are we supposed to believe everyone in charge is some sort of masterful Xanatos "even when I lose I win" type of evil genius?

Iowa Caucuses Today! - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2008

No, the story is that we would have won Vietnam if only we hadn't pulled out... we were winning until the commie liberals betrayed America and let the North Vietnamese win, you see!

Iowa Caucuses Today! - alien space marine - 19th February 2008

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Someone's saying we "won Vietnam"? That's like saying the burning of the original president's house way back when was "totally part of our genius plan".

Are we supposed to believe everyone in charge is some sort of masterful Xanatos "even when I lose I win" type of evil genius?

The war of 1812. If you remeber full metal jacket you will recall the statement "Were fighting the wrong gooks".

FMJ mickey mouse