Tendo City
Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] (/showthread.php?tid=46)

Pages: 1 2 3

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Weltall - 3rd January 2003

I just got to the Magmoor Caverns, and even though now I have no clue as to what I should do, so far it's been a wild ride.

This is definitely Game of the Year 2002.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Nintendarse - 3rd January 2003

So you splurged and got Metroid, Weltall? I can't blame you. Peer pressure is rough.

I have a question for all of those Metroid Prime players out there: what does the percentage represent? It's clearly not the progress in the game, because you can beat the game with less than 100%. I was wondering if it is related to the number of suit upgrades you find (including missiles upgrades) or the amount of scannable objects scanned. It would be really annoying if even the worthless things (non-red, non-creature, non-research, non-artifact, non-Pirate Data) had to be scanned to get 100%

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Great Rumbler - 3rd January 2003

The percentage is how much of the items and powerups that you've got.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Weltall - 3rd January 2003

I'm now in the Phendrana Drifts, and I just got the Morph Ball Boost. I didn't buy the game yet, I'm only renting, but I definitely will be buying it (I also preordered Zelda Wind Waker today, you all better make sure you do too, for that free OOT!).

I've been scanning absolutely everything I can find.. especially when I get stuck. I'm about 15% now I estimate, I was at 13% right after beating Flaaghra.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Laser Link - 3rd January 2003

I'm at the Quarantine Cave in Phendrana Drifts (25 ± 2%), so I'm just a little bit ahead of you. It's a ton of fun, but I'm balancing my Prime Time against my Fusion and SMRPG time, so I'm not going too fast. And I try not to just play games all day, you know. :)

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd January 2003

I'm around 40% or so, even though I've had this game for a while. I think I'm gonna go play it now, actually... anyways, I just got the

*blank*

and I'm fricken loving this game. Definately my favorite of 2002.

[edit]: god damn, how do you put in spoiler tags? I tried [!spoiler] and [!s] both... neither work. :/

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Laser Link - 3rd January 2003

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I just finished the Quarantine Cave and did it with 5 energy left. I got a little energy back, then decided to go along the new path that had opened. After I surived the Blah blah blah blah blahs I decided to return to the closest save point. Wouldn't you know it that now the Quarantine Cave is occupied by a Blah blah blah! I was frozen once and still managed to get out of there with 15 energy left. But of course some other new enemies were lurking in the hallway, and they killed me before I saw them. I HATE YOU RETRO!

Darn spoiler tags.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 3rd January 2003

Hehehe... :D

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 3rd January 2003

Good job spoiling the game for everyone. Drunk

And who cares about plot when you have such incredible gameplay?

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2003

Well, I'm posting again because I have beaten the game. Now on to hard mode, though the last boss is something I don't want to think about on hard mode (finding a working strat was hard enough the first time, but I think it'll work the second time).

I gotta say I love this game, BUT (oh please let the spoiler tags work since this board's first crash :D).

There we go.
<BR><b><font face="Arial">Spoilers Below!</font></b><table border="1" bgcolor="#6396C9" bordercolor="#000000"> <tr> <td width="100%"><font color="#6396C9">Near the end, when I got the Phazon Suit, I "knew" that the corruption would mean that Samus would have to ditch every single power up save for missles and morphing ball to eliminate the infestation. I figured that since Retro used one of the most half-arsed plot devices in Metroid history to explain why she lost her powers at the start, that stupid short circuit due to one stray electric blast thing :D, they would easily see a plot device for why she lost all those powers before Metroid 2. However, they DIDN'T see that. Instead, the Phazon was siphoned away, BUT Samus kept the rest of her abilities. Okay fine, the abilities were lost or sold some other way before Metroid 2, but sheesh Retro, you guys are geniuses, surely you could have seen how you could put a plot device like that in when the Metroid Prime was siphoning away the Phazon, just siphon a lot of other abilities too. Oh well, they missed out on that opportunity, but big deal.</font></td> </tr></table>

This game has a very addictive quality, just like Metroid Fusion. I can't say which I love more, but I can say which one was longer, and which one gives a new mode when you beat it :D. Well, time to go through it again. First though, I've got other games to beat.

Eek

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Fittisize - 3rd January 2003

I'm 15% into this game and I'm at the Phandrana Drifts. When I got to the first save station there, I decided that I should do some serious backtracking and find a morph ball powerup...but after endless hours of searching I couldn't find it. So I wasted about 3.5 hours of gameplay just by doing that (well, not wasted, I found one missile powerup I missed). I also bought Metroid Fusion yesterday. The game wouldn't suck so much if I had some good light to play on!

Oh, has anybody played the NES Metroid? I bought the game and I put it in and saw that somebody had already beaten the game(I bought it at EB, so somebody must of beaten it then returned it)...so I connected it to Prime, and I'm having more fun with it then I am Fusion (not Prime though...this game is tied for second best on my all time list).

Get the the Flood Light. It's the best lighting solution for the GBA.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2003

How you got to the drifts without the morphing ball is beyond me (until I go through again with the intention of getting as little as possible), but congrats anyway :D.

Oh, and NES Metroid is quite fun. To be honest, I think they should have just gone and put in the Famicom Disk System version, so you could have 3 save slots, and they could have then corrected the translation and called it "Zebes" instead of "Zebeth" (not to mention fixing the grammyr). Oh well, at least the Japanese will get that version, and at least they save the progress this time, even if it's just one "slot".

Since I already beat the first before, I enjoyed Fusion more (that and I hadn't unlocked it until I beat Fusion), because it does go on adding something new. Once Fusion is played through to death, like I did with Metroid 1 (which I only got like 6 months ago), THEN I'll decide which I like more. In any case, right now it's on to Warcraft 3, ANOTHER instant classic of a game which only now has a hard mode.

I have this to say though. The fusion connection thing is just plain stupid. What is unlocked is GREAT, but the method is totally pointless. I know they did that to advertise Fusion, but actually that's what bothers me about it. There is NO reason one should have to connect the two games to unlock something that's already built into Prime. At least I learned what the deal is with the start/select button thing disabling game loading, now I know it's so software that requires a certain non-compatible game to already be in the system can be downloaded. However, in any case, it's just as bad as the extra characters in Mario Tennis that are only unlocked when the GB version is hooked to the N64. It's nothing more than a stupid and unnecesary key. They should have either left them there already unlocked, or given an actual gameplay task needed to unlock them (give both of them when you beat the game, along with the hard mode, for instance). Oh well, I do happen to have Fusion and a link cable, so at least they are unlocked now. Still, this type of usage is bad. Use the GBA link for the stuff you HAVE used it for Nintendo! Use it like with Pokemon Stadium, or Animal Crossing (though to be honest I think you should have been able to at least visit the island even without a link cable, the downloading to the GBA was gold though). They could have even allowed the NES Metroid to be downloaded and emulated on the GBA, ala the Animal Crossing NES games.

To be honest, I'd suggest the Afterburner as the best solution for the GBA, IF you know someone who can install it, or can do it yourself. Floodlight is nice, but I don't like it for the same reason I don't like most outside lock on lights, it makes it too bulky. Oh, don't worry about the defects like the trapezoid or the so called "blueing". The trapezoid effect is certainly there, but it's perfectly transparent and unnoticable. The "blueing" is something I haven't even noticed. I'm sure some videophile might be able to see a little extra blue or something in the black, but black is still pure black when I look at it. The colors aren't washed or tinted or anything like that, and more importantly, you can get people asking you questions about your GBA in theaters and stuff while you are waiting for the movie to start. After all, isn't showing off what games are all about? Um, oh right, it isn't...

Well the reason why I suggest the Floodlight over the Afterburner is for two reasons. One, it's only $15 compared to the what, $50-70 it costs for the Afterburner kit and a professional installation (which I hear is essential), and you don't get that blue tint that I've been hearing about. The Floodlight uses a very bright flourescent lightbulb.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 4th January 2003

If you heard me, well actually if you didn't hear me, I said the blue tint isn't a real problem, as in, I can't see ANY blue tint. Maybe it's there to some trained eyes or whatever, but as far as I can tell, blue tint effect isn't real.

In any case, hiring someone isn't essential. For some, finding a professional might be. However, if you are in such a situation that you don't have a friend or family member that knows how to cut and solder something like this, for free, I pity you. In other words, it's $15 compaired to the price of the afterburner unit itself, no need to tack on the extra price of installation since most should already be able to get it installed for free.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 4th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Fittisize - 4th January 2003

No no no DJ. I was trying to find the powerup so you can go up the places with the yellow arrows on them. Of course I got the morph ball.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Laser Link - 4th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 6th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar

In any case, hiring someone isn't essential. For some, finding a professional might be.

... That's what I said.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - ThunderAngel - 6th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 6th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Laser Link - 6th January 2003

I'm at the exact same place in Metroid Fusion. Then my batteries died.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - WhiteFleck - 6th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 7th January 2003

Right now Prime is tied with Super Metroid as my favorite game ever made, and I definitely like Fusion more than Metroid 1 & 2. I'm glad that they tried something different with Fusion instead of just making a Super Metroid 1.5, but I'm even happier with Prime for being the near-perfect realization of Super Metroid in 3-D. The funny thing is that Prime actually shares more gameplay similarities with Super Metroid than Fusion does. Sure the screw attack is missing, but just about everything else is perfect SM in 3-D.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2003

That and a true space jump. To be honest, I have to disagree, and say that Fusion shares a lot more in common, for some obvious reasons. It took it in a different direction, but the gameplay is more similar there.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 7th January 2003

Not really. Fusion is much more linear, more story-driven, the music has a much darker, moody tone, and the enemies are completely different. Prime takes almost all of Super Metroid's gameplay elements and seemlessly translates them into 3-D.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2003

I can see where you are coming from, but the way it's played it is more M3 like in M4 than in MP. Yes, it's less linear, but I was talking basic control and the style in which you explore the game. Sure it's the obvious answer, but why on earth do all life's answers need to be frickin' complicated?

I loved both adventures though. To be honest, I would have rather they kept previous sectors unlocked instead of the forcing stuff. They could have gone about designing the same basic story, with a few minor alterations depending on a few path changes. They already did that with the later areas, when you can choose a few ways to get from point a to point b.

Oh, and the music was "dark" and subtle in both games, switching to more in your face intensity exactly when it needed to. The Tallon overworld's first theme was a nice adventurous song though.

Ah, I wonder what Tallon I looked like? I suspect it lookes a lot like a very liquidy Cybertron.

Well as far as controls go, of course Fusion plays more like SM than Prime does since Prime is a 3-D game. But I was talking about less obvious similarities between the games. Prime copies the basic gameplay of SM but puts it in three dimensions, while Fusion takes the series in a very different direction. And there are plenty of upbeat and catchy tracks in Prime (as it was in SM), but Fusion's soundtrack is less catchy and more militaristic.

VERY different? I know it was taken in a different direction, but it's not some super huge and innovative change that will define all future single-level platforming adventure games. All they did was put more limitations on where you could go. That sure was a change, since in previous games the limitations were much smaller, and depended purely on getting items or skills to get past those limiters, as opposed to Fusion's story based limiter removal, but it wasn't something major that changed the face of Metroid gaming. Could they have done the story without the limitations they used? Well, I submit that they could have, but they would have to redo the map and the areas where the story unlocks based on items you have to get only by going through a story revealing elevator or room. I really don't think it was all that innovative, just a more limited and focused adventure, as you have said. Not a major change, since after a few missions the game opens up a lot more, nor a super small one.

I think it is a pretty major change. In Super Metroid you had to figure out where to go and what to do all on your own, there weren't any real "levels", and the only bit of plot was before and after the game. In Fusion you are given specific objectives in each level, and the whole game is seperated into six (or five, I forgot the exact number) distinct levels (or sections) with a little bit of backtracking here and there, and the story was a huge part of the game, with cut scenes and/or narrative moving the story before and after each objective. That's a pretty big difference. Metroid Prime does almost everything that Super Metroid did, only in full 3-D.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Fittisize - 8th January 2003

What's the easiest and quickest way to kill the bay sheegoths? :(

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Weltall - 8th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
What's the easiest and quickest way to kill the bay sheegoths? :(

Lock on, and circle them. Charge your beam, and when you get a shot at their back, loose a charged shot. If it doesn't kill them outright, it only takes one more shot to their unprotected back.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Fittisize - 8th January 2003

I see. See I was wasting about thirty missiles on each one...and they still froze me.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 8th January 2003

Well, since the ship kept scanning far areas (I like to think the ship itself was doing the far area scanning) and telling me something was found here, or here, that was pretty much eliminating the "find everything your own dang self" aspect. There was still loads of exploring, more so than Fusion (though Fusion still had lots once you got far into it). Also, you can't say story wasn't a huge part when almost all the scans are non-essential story revealing data. A HUGE amount of story was done in Prime, perhaps even larger than Fusion.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - MgL - 8th January 2003

I have to give it props for being the first Metroid title that I found enjoyable. I always thought the series sucked in comparison to games like Contra and Megaman. I rented Prime last friday and I've been enjoying every bit of it. I have to hurry up and beat it though because it is due back on Saturday. I am a little annoyed with the level design. Solving puzzles is fun and all, but the water areas suck and there are too many platforms and shit. Btw, those ghost things scare the shit out of me.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 8th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Well, since the ship kept scanning far areas (I like to think the ship itself was doing the far area scanning) and telling me something was found here, or here, that was pretty much eliminating the "find everything your own dang self" aspect. There was still loads of exploring, more so than Fusion (though Fusion still had lots once you got far into it). Also, you can't say story wasn't a huge part when almost all the scans are non-essential story revealing data. A HUGE amount of story was done in Prime, perhaps even larger than Fusion.

Haha, you had that help thing turned on? That ruins the challenge! Turn the hint mode off next time you play through it, okay? And aside from the optional computers and chozo thingies that you could scan, there was almost no story in Prime. It was not a major focus like it was in Fusion.

And MgL... I'm simply not going to respond to that. :cuss: :shake:

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - lazyfatbum - 8th January 2003

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 8th January 2003

.....hint... mode? I never touched the option menu, or at least not enough I guess. I wasn't aware they would put something like that in there by default. That doesn't change that the normal mode of play has that. Rating the game without it is akin to rating it on hard mode then.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 9th January 2003

Hahaha, silly DJ. So... simple. :D

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Laser Link - 9th January 2003

Quote:I see. See I was wasting about thirty missiles on each one...and they still froze me.

Doesn't the scanner info tell you that you need to hit them in the back? Or maybe I'm the only one who scans everything obsessively.

I too will turn the hint mode off next time I play. I figured it was like Navi and just part of the game. In Zelda, you usually have to do what they tell you to do (there is always some extra exploring, but you can't go to the 5th dungeon before the 2nd), so I assumed it was the same way here.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 9th January 2003

That makes two of us who thought that wasn't turn offable. There really is no hint that that's what it does, unless either of us had decided to read the whole instruction booklet :D. Really, that should be off by default.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - OB1 - 9th January 2003

I promptly turned it off as soon as I started the game. All of the info is in the instruction booklet, which I usually read before I play a game.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Dark Jaguar - 9th January 2003

I usually read some basic stuff, but that's a whole, book, of instructions, there, so I rarely read the whole thing the second I get it, because I want to play the game! I'll usually read some story info, and skip to how to control the game, and then I'll just play it. There's also the matter of those who bought it used, and it's like a law of nature that buying a game used is a promise that you won't be getting the instruction booklet (and if it's a used NES game, it'll likely have a Mauck's Video Game Exchange stamp on it). I stand by my conviction that such an option should be off by default, or even asked if you want to turn it on or off (with an in depth description of what it does, spoil some of the searching elements of the game, so you know what's up).

Oh, and yes LL, I too scanned EVERYTHING I could see obsessivly, which is why I had no problem finding any of the 12 artifacts either (those aren't revealed by the ship scans).

*reads booklet*

Dangit, those silly billy mcphillies! I just skimmed the booklet, which is LIKE reading, but without the comprehension part, and there's nothing in there about that option or what it does. Even in the option section of the booklet, it totally skips that feature. So, even if I read it, I still wouldn't have known.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Great Rumbler - 9th January 2003

I only used the hint system for last part of the game when I had absolutly no idea where I was supposed to go next.

But at least you figured out what it does. :D It was still a great game, and it's not like the hint system walked me by the hand, or even always told me the general direction to go. Oh well, I guess that along with the freezing glitch, this makes another imperfection in an otherwise great game.

Let's talk about Megaman stuff! [AKA: "I love Metroid Prime"] - Fittisize - 9th January 2003

Quote:Doesn't the scanner info tell you that you need to hit them in the back? Or maybe I'm the only one who scans everything obsessively.

Well...I knew to hit them on the back 'cause I scanned it (I scan everything to, about 10 times each) but I never knew I had to charge up my beam. How silly of me.

Huh, I could have sworn that they mentioned it in the booklet. Guess I was wrong.

But I still turned it off as soon as I started playing. I always like to fiddle with the options menus, so it was easy to find.

Yeah, lucky you I guess. I wish I had actually experimented with it. The description was just too vague considering my previous experience with "hint modes". In all previous games with options like that, the "hint mode" was always something that simply popped up instructions on screen to tell you how to do stuff like control the camera, use special items, use various weapons, and do special moves. I always left them on because I never knew what kind of cool move I might be missing out on (as an example of situations I wanted to avoid, when I played Banjo-Kazooie, I assumed that when I became invincible, I couldn't jump, not consciously, but somehow I "knew" that was the case, until I actually tried it in frustration trying to get something from one of those snapper plants in tick tock woods).

You should experiment more. That's what I try to do.