Tendo City
The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread (/showthread.php?tid=458)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 30th March 2003

That whole wind thing is too confusing...whys it have to be time at all? The Ocarina wasn't timed.

Anybody else notice the serious repetition in dungeons? And the the second dungeon, the Forbidden Forest, was the same thing in every room just about; find a new way to bust the lock off the door...that was the worst Zelda dungeon ever. And it's just more of rescuing the ignorant helpless idiot from the end boss we've seen in ever Zelda since OoT!

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 30th March 2003

DJ, it takes more than just two seconds to perform the songs. It's more like seven seconds. And while that may sound short, when you have to do it every thirty seconds it gets very annoying. Especially in the fourth and fifth dungeons in the game.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 31st March 2003

Winde Waker is a cool game, but it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game. It's fun, and original, but I just feel that it isn't Zelda material...not contemporary, anyway. The islands are cool, as is sailing, but there I'm up to the 3rd dungeon, and they're aren't very many differnt kinds of enemies (so few!), and the dungeons leave much to be desired. The bosses are ok; but not as cool or original as in OoT or MM! Where's Odolwa and Volvagia!

Also: This one needs more Gorons.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 31st March 2003

It doesn't feel like a Zelda game? I found it to feel a lot more like the 2D Zeldas than OoT did.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 31st March 2003

Well thats just it I suppose; I've never in-depth played the old, old Zeldas....I was just referring it to OoT and MM. With no offense to WW, I just prefer those two over WW.

[Image: holyshit.gif]

You've never played any of the 2D Zelda games?? They're excellent! I love OoT and MM to death, but I prefer the atmosphere and tone of the 2D ones over the N64 games. Part of it's nostalgia, but most of it is in the combination of the graphics, music, and gameplay. Wind Waker is more reminiscent of ALttP and the GB Zeldas than OoT and MM are, and I prefer that.

And you don't like the bosses in WW? Even though they're very easy to beat, they're the coolest-looking bosses I've ever seen.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - A Black Falcon - 31st March 2003

Uh, Darunia... do you own a NES, SNES, or any flavor of GB? If so... :hammer:

Oh, and I like OoT more than any 2d ones, but the 2d ones are all incredible games... except maybe Zelda 2...

I do like OoT and MM more than the 2D Zeldas, but I prefer the atmosphere of those ones over the N64 games.

How so? I thought that OoT had better atmosphere than any games before it in many ways... though there were some things that the 2d ones did do better. I liked how in the 2d games the overworld was a place with challenging enemies and lots of puzzles and stuff... MM did a much better job at that but it had its own problems, and still didn't match the 2d games in that respect.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - CartoonDevil - 31st March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Its moronic because using the word that way only says one thing to me, just like Jellybean said: fear of homosexuality... and that isn't a good thing...

First of all, I know you're a liberal, based upon reading the "Pledge of Alleigance" thread, and the "Iraq" thread, so I know that you're waaaay to "politically correct" and would make us say <B>PERSONhole covers</B> instead of MANhole covers.

Liberals are all wacky. Why don't you listen to Rush Limbaugh for a week and then tell me that your whole belief system isn't wacked?

Sex between <B>ANYTHING</B> other than a man and a woman is wrong and evil. I can't understand how people can fuck members of the same gender, or allow members of the same gender to fuck them. Calling someone gay, queer, fagot, or otherwise is what they deserve. Calling them homosexual is only necessary if you're trying to curry favor with them, which I'm not. You'll never convince me that homosexuality is right, or even acceptable. And don't give me that crap about it being inherited, because it's bullshit.

I don't think that homosexuality is right or natural, but I don't think any less of people that are gay. I certainly don't think they're "evil".

But make another thread in the debate forum about this, okay? I don't want to have to move this topic.

How so? I thought that OoT had better atmosphere than any games before it in many ways... though there were some things that the 2d ones did do better. I liked how in the 2d games the overworld was a place with challenging enemies and lots of puzzles and stuff... MM did a much better job at that but it had its own problems, and still didn't match the 2d games in that respect.

I just like the feeling that I get from playing those 2D Zeldas more than I do from OoT and MM, even though they're my second and third favorite Zelda titles, respectively (WW gets the number one spot). A lot of it is nostalgia since I literally grew up playing Zelda, but there's also this sense of innocence, fun, and adventure that I found to be more prevalent in the 2D Zeldas, which I missed while playing Oot and MM. Wind Waker brought back much of that which is one of the reasons why I like it so much.

And before anyone else responds to CartoonDevil's comments, post them over here: http://tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473

Yeah, its impossible to not have nostalgia as a huge factor in remembering how good games are... everyone does that... and it makes it very hard to impossible to be objective, especially when the whole question is about personal opinion... I know I am, or my top 10 favorite games list would have more than one game released in the last 3 years on it (Warcraft III)... :)

If it were just nostalgia then I wouldn't go back to playing the games every so often. :D

Well yeah... which is why a good way to see if its just nostalgia is to play them again... but I bet good memories of games helps as long as the games are still solid... :)

Sure, it enhances the experience. There are plenty of games that I had fond memories of but when I played them again after so many years I realized how crappy they are.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Dark Jaguar - 31st March 2003

Darunia: Gorons first appeared in OOT. They weren't in any Zelda game before that, likely because storylinewise, they all died out or something (not sure why, food source should always be plentiful, unless it all got covered up by some blue wet stuff or something). Also, to say the story is just a repeat of OOT (the rescuing bit) is to ignore the fact that Zelda 1 AND Link to the Past (and to a somewhat lesser extent Zelda 2) had that exact same basic story. Don't treat OOT like it's the first game where Zelda got good or something like that, or that it's the only one that counts.

Yeah the WW plot is a lot more original than the OoT plot. And as for the Gorons, I don't think Nintendo really cared about the fact that they weren't in any of the other Zelda games before OoT. There was a Goron in the Oracle of Seasons, so I don't think they became extinct.

[Image: image781.gif]

I have one quick question about Master Quest, since I haven't had much time to play it. Is the triforce in the game? I remember reading about Ura Zelda and how you'd be able to search for the triforce pieces (which looked like they could be put in your inventory in OoT), but I'm not sure if it's in the game. I doubt it is, but I'd like to know for sure.

Yes it is, but then again, it's also in OOT original. I'm not even talking about the story time scenes with pictures of it. I'm saying you actually GET the triforce in the normal game, or did you forget :D? It's the part where Zelda reveals her identity, and then she shows that she actually physically has the triforce of wisdom, Ganon has the piece of power, and you, yes YOU literally have the triforce of courage in your very hand! Sorry, I get annoyed when people talk about how they wish the triforce was in OOT when it's an incredibly important part of the story that it IS in the game.

Anyway, as far as Master Quest, you should know as well as I that Master Quest merely edited the rooms in each of the dungeons so the puzzles were different. The map layout is even the same. The only difference is the puzzles. The overworld has no changes at all between versions. As I had said before, Zelda 1's second quest changed a lot more thing around then this Master Quest did. However, for a $15 game (taking off $15 for Wind Waker here, Master Quest wasn't free or I would have been able to walk in grab it and leave without any money leaving my hands), it's still pretty nice.

Oh, I was just commenting on what I think happened. The Oracle games very well might be just an alternate reality thing ya know. As far as Four Swords, I think that too was an alternate reality story.

Yes of course I know that the triforce is in OoT, but you never actually had to search for them and there were three empty slots in the inventory (or so it looked like) for three little triangles. That spawned the rumors that you'd have to find the triforce pieces in Ura Zelda. And while MQ is essentially the same game as OoT, perhaps they could have added in a few triforce pieces somewhere in there. I doubted it, but wanted to make sure.

Yeah, there were a LOT of things they wanted to add to URA Zelda (it was originally supposed to be a stand alone title on the shelves at full price), but in the end, they couldn't. So, they patched together what they did finish (new dungeon layouts, likely they cobbled together the unfished layouts in a hurry, hence why the water temple has a key left over after you do everything). Also, if you look at the engravings of the triforce, you will notice something. Look at a nice emptry screen (new game time) and look at the engravings. Notice the large circle the small circles for the medallians are in? See how that looks raised instead of indented? If not, let me explain. Look at the shadows. For everything that has to be filled, the shadow is in one side, with the light coming in from the same side, it's intended to look like a shadow caused by indentation. Notice how the triforce parts and that large circle (and a few other things that aren't supposed to be filled) have the shadow on the opposite corner? That's intended to show it's in fact raised. In other words, since the three triforce parts are raised, nothing has to be put in there. Thus, there's no reason to assume it's anything other than decorative (just like some other artifacts on the quest screen, like the scales for the music, when the note buttons are all that's needed).

Well I just finished Wind Waker, and damn what a great experience that was! My favorite Zelda game and my third favorite game overall after Metroid Prime and Super Metroid. There were just a few things that kept it from being as good as Metroid Prime, mainly the lack of difficulty with the bosses and enemies. I only died once, and that was from being caught off guard by ten knights. That was a fluke though. And the ending wasn't nearly as satisfying as the ending of OoT because of the lack of difficulty fighting the boss. But overall it's my favorite installment in the series. What a fantastic game.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 1st April 2003

How many dungeons are there? I'm at the tower of the gods, how near the end am I?

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 1st April 2003

There are six dungeons. Two more than Majora's Mask and two less than Ocarina of Time. But it makes up for it with tons of side-quests so it all works out just fine.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Great Rumbler - 1st April 2003

I have to wait till Friday, before I can start playing Wind Waker again. Bleh.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 2nd April 2003

I was up until one am this morning playing Wind Waker...wow...though I will continue to prefer both OoT and MM over WW, WW has garnished much more appreciation from me. I still find the dungeons bland and tasteless, but it excels for other reasons. The story is really going now since I got the master sword.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - EdenMaster - 2nd April 2003

Welcome to TendoCity, were we can start a thread about Zelda and have it end up talking about homosexuality. Please, though, I implore the feuding masses to go to my Debate Forum and let off your steam there, and leave the Nintendo stuff here.

In any case, I just began my search for the shards of the Triforce. So far, I've only found the one the chart on Outset Island gets you. I feel like kicking Tingles ass for charging me 400 Rupees to decipher my Triforce Map. I was up till 4 AM last night playing, good thing I didn't have to work early today :D. Hell, I'd probably be back finding more shards if I didn't have to be at work in 45 minutes.

I love this game, I'm enjoying it immensely, regardless of Link and his worlds appearance (although Ganondorf was never meant to be cel-shaded, he looks kind of bad. How am I supposed to believe this is the guy trying to take over the world, he doesn't even have a neck!). This is a great game, and to tell the truth, I can't imagine the game looking any other way. The only thing OoT has on this game graphically is better textures and more realism. Everything else in Wind Waker blows OoT out of the water!

Coming Soon: EdenMasters Review of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 2nd April 2003

Better textures?? Are you out of your mind? The textures in OoT are very low-quality by today's standards. I can't believe you actually think that OoT's textures are better. Confused

And Ganondorf looks awesome in this game. Instead of looking like a Romanian circus clown he actually looks like a really cool, tough, badass evil ruler guy.

And before anyone (read: ABF) goes off saying "OMG you think your opinion is fact!", remember that he said textures, not art style. Believe it or not, texture quality is something that can be measured, and OoT's textures are most certainly not as good as WW's textures.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - big guy - 2nd April 2003

OMG you think your opinion is fact!

:p :D

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - CartoonDevil - 2nd April 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Believe it or not, texture quality is something that can be measured, and OoT's textures are most certainly not as good as WW's textures.

To that, I concur. As far as graphical finesse and quality are concerned, Wind Waker is <B>far</B> above the other Zelda games. Artistic style and gameplay wise are debatable.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - A Black Falcon - 2nd April 2003

But WW doesn't have textures in so many areas... lots of shaded polygons... so yeah I can see saying that OoT with its wall textures that have pixels as big as Young Link's head (or sure seem to!) could be seen as better.

All of the backgrounds in WW are textured in a traditional manner, and they are much, much better than any N64 textures. It's absurd that you're even comparing them. And cel-shading doesn't involve simple broad texturing, ABF. It's a very complex process.

Hey, I didn't say it first...

But you practically agreed with him.

Well in some ways he's right...

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Great Rumbler - 2nd April 2003

OoT's textures are in no way better than WW's. The textures in WW are better in terms of quality and in terms of clarity.

All right, that's not what I meant, I used the wrong words. I was just referring to more realistic looking graphics, although looking back, everything was so blocky and textures were so pixelated.

Sorry for the confusion.

If you took all of the backgrounds from WW and put them into OoT the game would look ten times more realistic. The backgrounds in OoT are just plain ugly by today's standards.

Well in some ways he's right...

Name one way he's right.

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
by today's standards.

Key words, there.

Erm

Um... you directly compared OoT with WW.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Sacred Jellybean - 2nd April 2003

Quote:If you took all of the backgrounds from WW and put them into OoT the game would look ten times more realistic. The backgrounds in OoT are just plain ugly by today's standards.

Well, it's true that the textures are much better on the 'Cube, but the cartoony backgrounds seemed to be designed in that manner to accomodate the cel-shaded models and the game's overall tone.

In a game like OoT, where many of the environments are designed around realism, the design of WW's environments wouldn't make it look more realistic, simply because that isn't how OoT's environment was designed.

That's how I feel, at least. Texture quality notwithstanding, OoT's environments strive to look more realistic, while WW's are geared to look more cartoony to fit the cell-shading.

Yea, they were kinda "low-res"...but still, OoT is my favorite game of all time. MM can't approach; the dungeons are too bland and boring...I don't know, the whole feel is just off...but then again the only Zelda I know is OoT and MM.

I'm currently halfway through the Earth Temple.

Quote:Originally posted by Sacred Jellybean
Well, it's true that the textures are much better on the 'Cube, but the cartoony backgrounds seemed to be designed in that manner to accomodate the cel-shaded models and the game's overall tone.

In a game like OoT, where many of the environments are designed around realism, the design of WW's environments wouldn't make it look more realistic, simply because that isn't how OoT's environment was designed.

That's how I feel, at least. Texture quality notwithstanding, OoT's environments strive to look more realistic, while WW's are geared to look more cartoony to fit the cell-shading.

The backgrounds in OoT aren't realistic-looking at all. They're just blurry. And WW's backgrounds look like backgrounds from a Loony Toons cartoon; it fits with the cel-shading but does not neccessarily scream cartoon. For the most part.

I agree with your analysis of the WW backgrounds.

Thank you.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2003

I got Wind Waker yesterday. I've put several (okay, maybe ... uh, 4 or 5? Maybe a bit more... not sure really... it makes you lose track of time...) hours into it and am now in the first village... Windmill I guess? I don't know. Found those stupid kids and the pictograph box most recently... good game. The graphic style IS better in motion... the game looks nice, very stylistic. I don't like the water effect much (its just so bland... all solid blue), though... which is too bad for a game with so much water... but the rest of the graphics are a very nice cartoon style.

I still think it'd have looked better realistic... but it does look good.

There, OB1. I admitted I was partly wrong about something I've been arguing about for a year and a half. Happy now?

And don't say I never will change my opinion when I see the truth... as if that should let you off from doing exactly that...