Tendo City
The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread (/showthread.php?tid=458)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 24th March 2003

As soon as you get some playtime with the game, post your impressions/thoughts over here.

I got it today (had to wait a half hour in line), but won't be able to play it until I get home in a few hours.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Great Rumbler - 24th March 2003

*stabbing ensues*

When are you getting it?

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - big guy - 24th March 2003

*stabbing ensues*

Gamestop still hasn't called me, so it looks like i didn't make it in the first shipment...that means i won't get it for another week.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Great Rumbler - 24th March 2003

Well, my brother has the Gamecube right now, so I'll have to wait till Friday to play Zelda. My brother will probably get Zelda as soon as he can find it.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Sacred Jellybean - 24th March 2003

:(

I'm gonna call the train station from where I'm s'posed to get the game tomorrow. The slip they gave me says the 25th. Bastards better have it...

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - geoboy - 24th March 2003

I got mine today and I've played it for nearly an hour and all I can say is...THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!! Really! It has far exceeded my expectations and I am so GLAD that the graphics are cel-shaded. I just can't imagine this game done any other way. The mood of the game is entirely unique to that of any video game I have ever played. The sound effects are nothing short of AMAZING. I love the sound when Link picks up rupees. I love the sound of his sword hitting a stone wall. I love all the little intriquet details put into this game.

The story and dialogue are very well done. Each character has such unique traits. From that pirate chick with PMS to Link's innocent sister to the guy who teaches you how to use your sword, I feel this is the only video game that has offered such rich characters.

I do have to point out that Wind Waker was the first video in a long time that I have totally shut out until I bought it. That is, I didn't read any reviews, I tried to stay away from any pics, videos, etc. This might have made the experience more enjoyable. But any way you put it, Wind Waker is HANDS DOWN an enjoyable game.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Dark Jaguar - 24th March 2003

Plenty of RPGs have well developed side characters.

Anyway, herein I shall relay the tale of how I obtained this sacred relic known as, um, *reads box* Wind Waker!

As I entered the particular mall I reserved the game at, I notice something is a litte... off. Then, I realize what it is. There's a line of people gathered near where I'm walking. I arrive to see the line starts at Software Etc. "Oh no" I think to myself, while at the same time accidently baking a cake for the mall cop (with this Canadian mounty style hat on for some reason) "Is this for the GBA SP?". Well, I had to sell this Karp game anyway (that cricket game for PS2, my mom bought it on sale somewhere for my little brother, and it turned out to be in fact a very very bad game, but at least I could put this money in for some credit towards my reserved game), so I walked on in. I asked someone in the store what the line was for, and of course, it was for Wind Waker. Well, I quickly went up to sell the Karp game and noticed something odd about the attire of some of the staff. Indeed, it would seem that one of them was in the garb of Princess Zelda (right down to the earings and tiara), and of course as we all know, Zelda wears a Software Etc name tag and spends time answering phone calls and being a register biscuit. Near the back, stocking games, was mighty hero Link, wearing these weird white pants with pull strings througout. Well, I quickly dash back into place, and there I am standing IN DEFIANCE OF THE WILL OF NATURE HERSELF, in front of The Disney Store, only a half dozen store lengths to go and I'd be ALMOST there! Well, after I got in line, like 5 minutes afterwards, a bus apparently stopped at some entrance and let out the rest of the Zelda fans. Pretty soon, people in line for this game were stretched for quite a distance behind me, which was nice, since I was no longer "last in line" (that coveted title). Eventually the line started moving, AS THOUGH TO SAY TO FATHER TIME "WE EXIST AND YOU CAN'T KILL US YET!", and as the line kept moving, it also grew in size LIKE A BEAST UNTO ITSELF UNCONTROLLABLE AND UNNATURAL, regardless of the number of people who actually were getting their game, the line grew. I hoped they at least had enough copies to get up to me. I myself was ON FIRE as my comedic genius level of commentary did not go unnoticed, as some actually said "heh" in response! Time went on, and on, and eventually Zelda came out and started handing out green candies. Yummy, but she didn't come out later with a trash can to collect the trash later... no candy hander outers ever do... As time and the line ever grew, so did the number of people who's heads were turned in curiosity towards the SHEER EVENTISITY of it all. Many actually ASKED what we were waiting for, a sure sign if any of curiosity. Some merely said "oh" while a couple said "oh that's today?!", and a few said "you have to be kidding me, waiting in line for a game?". I also witnessed first hand the strange phenomenon of people yelling across those cavernous holes in the walkways many a time, regardless of the FACT that you can't really expect to be able to HEAR anyone doing that. As time moved inexorably forward, I found myself wishing I had brought my GBA (others wiser than I had done this, and likely were playing Four Swords, which is what I assume they are playing only because I want to think I'm an even greater moron for not bringing mine). Soon, the time came. Link motioned me in with BUT A HEAD NOD OF ETERNAL ACCEPTANCE, and I handed in my pre-order slip. Paying off the difference after the sold game and what I already paid, I obtained that LEGENDARY golden box. Off I went to eat something and read the manual, as I am want to do at these times. On the way there, I was waving my prize triumphantly over the salivating masses (dogs, lowely people waiting in line, I feel for them but never could I actually understand their plight) who went on probably to the ENDS OF THE MALL, well, halfway there anyway at least. So I'm eating away, and noticing that the disk isn't JUST gold as the picture implied. It's also indeed, quite bespeckled in golden glitter. So, after this short meal, I went home, and first thing's first, I make my friend hate me. Second thing's second, I make the remained of TC who don't have it hate me (current), and now I finish with the third thing. I will now play the game! Mine! PRECIOUS IS MINE AND IS NOT LOST!

Heh, some guy walked up to me and was surprised that we were all waiting for a video game. The line was huge.

I'm around... an hour and a half into the game and to quote Christopher Walken again, "WOWEE WOW WOW!!!" what an awesome game! Like geoboy said, I can't imagine it not being cel-shaded. It looks so wonderful. And Link is more likable now that he shows some emotion (don't worry, he still doesn't talk).

And DJ, while it's true that a lot of RPGs have developed side characters, Zelda has never been one of them.

The only small problem I have with the game is the depth of field blur. I'd rather everything be more clear. But it's no biggie.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Laser Link - 24th March 2003

I swear I thought I accidently was playing Metal Gear Solid when I got to that first palace... Well, I'm off to continue my quest. Link better not start questioning his mission, and everyone he's out to rescue had best make sure they don't die of a heart attack.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Dark Jaguar - 25th March 2003

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - OB1 - 25th March 2003

You didn't eh? Well I did, and now the way everything is deformed makes perfect sense artistically. It's just like looking at a mural on some cave wall of a legend, only it's moving around. The monsters, which I never had a problem with anyway, share this style. It's really a great artistic choice from this perspective, and I love it for that. As I said though, it's not something they should continue to do. Perhaps they should come up with a new artistic style each new game. LTTP had standard super deformed sprites, OOT had tall somewhat realistic anime style look, this has the mural or ancient tablet drawing look, so in the future it should continue to change.

Thanks for spoiling those jokes for everyone :D. Anyway, I suppose you too noticed how Metal Geary the fortress was like. I mean, I ended up hiding inside barrels, getting noticed by sentries, and then hiding in nitches, or just being still so they think I'm normal, in shadows, rolling from place to place, hanging and gripping and moving along the path under their noses, then I actually sidled up to a wall, and when I got to the end, I did a corner peek, a corner peek! I know if I had a bow and arrow set I would have been able to pop out, shoot, and go back :D.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - EdenMaster - 25th March 2003

The...the store said...said to call back in...in about an hour...they...they said they would probably...have it in then...

Yes OB1, I can wait days, but when it gets down to hours, and MINUTES away from the game, then I start to crumble.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Darunia - 25th March 2003

Wow, Im kinda excited now too...I guess I'll head over to the mall after school, too... EB better not fuck me over with this. It better me there and it better be on time.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - big guy - 25th March 2003

gamespot called me just now and said my games in, now i just need to take a huge history exam and i can go pick up the game!

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Sacred Jellybean - 25th March 2003

[Image: zeldakiss.jpg]

:shake: @ everyone who doesn't have it yet

Wow, what an incredible game, and I've only played about an hour. ABF, you won't be disappointed with the graphics like you say your sure you will be. The animations and graphics are beautiful and suit the game perfectly.

D'oh, why do I have to go to work today?!?!

I'll say one thing I'm happy about, sorta. Remember those ridiculous "choices" you were given in OOT/MM during conversations? You know, the ones where the question would just repeat until you answered correctly? "Do you have that shining glowing stone?" Well, they dispensed with that idiotic pretense of pretending you have a choice in the matter and just make Link answer the way he's supposed to, since he would have anyway. It's not like those "choices" were even close to gameplay so much as an interactive movie moment anyway. I WOULD have preferred it if they had actually gone through and let you make choices, opening up different branches of gameplay as you went through, but I guess this was the easier solution. Oh well, regardless this is an awesome game.

Oh, and I LOVE sailing on the open sea! The sea!

I know! Sailing makes the whole world feel so big and nonlinear, which was lacking in Oot and MM.

I'm in the second dungeon right now and boy do I love this game! When I'm not playing it I'm thinking about it, and I can't make myself go to bed early because I can't put the controller down.

I really love the new Link, much more than the previous ones. This time he actualy has a lot of a personality and he shows emotion, which doesn't take away from the "you are Link" aspect of the game. In fact I think it makes it even better because you share Link's feelings.

I also noticed something cool while I was standing near bench in Windmill island. Stand right next to a bench (or stairs) and let half of your body stand on the bench and the other half on the ground. Link will rest his leg on the bench! It's little details like that which really make you appreciate all of the hard work that went into the game.

Was it just me, or was I the only one who thought the opening sequence with the whole backstory was great? Supposedly, all the loose ends in the Zelda series will be tied up. I have a feeling that throughout the course of the game, you'll hear about events from previous games (because chronologically, Wind Waker is after every other one, right?)

Oh, and my Wind Waker looks better than Sacred Jellybeans!

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - N_A - 25th March 2003

Interesting that reviewers say that the game is damned easy. The game so far isn't challenging, but its not cake either - and I'm assuming it will get a bit harder as you go along.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - CartoonDevil - 25th March 2003

Well, I got the game yesterday, but between going to work and going mountain biking with my wife, I just barely got to play it until just a little while ago.

I'm in the first dungeon (just discovered my first set of cauldrons (if you've played, you'll understand). I still maintain that your first Zelda game is always the hardest. The puzzles so far (I know I'm not far into it) are ridiculously easy.

I can't get past the graphics. Ahhh! So distracting! Link looks GAY! I don't mind the look of the rest of the world, but couldn't they have made Link not run like Forest Gump with a watermelon for a head?

Another issue: the controls don't feel as tight as the N64 controls did...Link responds a little more slowly.

I haven't met the first boss yet, and I'm hoping that the boss encounter will make me forget about the aforementioned issues.

No, Wind Waker is 100 years after the first one, but it's BEFORE LTTP, and thus before all the Zelda games except OOT and MM. However, there's still lots they can do to tie it all up.

Also, you probably missed my post, but I figured out the artistic reasoning for the model looking like that. Notice the illustrations in the opening scene? Don't the look JUST like egyption pyramid paintings, with the long arms and the bending like that and the massive head size, and the slight flatness? That's the look the whole game is going for. It is trying to look like an animated wall mural of an ancient legend.

Are you kidding me? They controls are a hundred times more responsive and polished than before, and Link moves faster than he did in the last two games.

And EM, OoT is the first Zelda game, chronologically, and WW takes place a hundred years after that. All of the other games take place after OoT, MM, WW, and Four Swords. Well at least according to the best Zelda site on the net.

Whup, DJ beat me to it. :cuss:

And speaking of ZHQ, I suggest everyone go over there and d/l all of their Zelda mp3s. They have some great stuff there, including the entire Hyrule Symphony soundtrack (which I bought last year). The rearranged stuff is also really good.

Wow! Placing Link of LTTP in Seasons/Ages is a lovely stroke! I haven't thought the whole storyline through for problems as of yet, but as I see it, it explains quite well how the kingdom had the triforce, and what "many other adventures" Link went on between LTTP and LA (as told in the LA instructino manual). I think I may just do that. It beats the alternate universe thing. I always prefer placing stuff in the same universe to alternate storyline cheapness.

Speaking of which, I HAD expected Substance's Snake Tales missions to be what Snake was doing while Raiden was on the Big Shell, but instead I get this alternate reality stuff. I mean sheesh, he WAS doing a LOT of stuff as far as the Sons of Liberty story goes, so there was PLENTY of room to think up the details of those missions. Oh well, those missions were still fun, and the exchange of the first game for the + version is still worth it.

Back on topic, I haven't played Wind Waker all day (sadly), and likely won't be able to until tomorrow. So, I'm certain everyone is ahead of me and will probably remain that way. Anyway, where's lazy? I'm sure he has some amuzing anecdotes to relay to us regarding his game time.

I too think games in a single series get easier as you play more, regardless of the order you play them in. Zelda 1 was the hardest for me, and the puzzles there were pretty much just bomb placement and which block to slide (the puzzles of how to do combat were far more intense though, though now they seem rather easy, same with Zelda 2, though since that one was quite different, most people who play it for the first time after playing many other Zelda games have lots of trouble). I'll reserve difficulty judgement for when I beat it. All I can say now is the world seems quite massive and sprawling, a good sign.

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - A Black Falcon - 25th March 2003

ZHQ is BACK? When? If it was long ago, why did no one mention it??? That site was by FAR the best Zelda site on the net until it died sometime in 1999 or 2000... does it still have music playing on all the pages? Netscape 7 doesn't seem to work with that... probably requires some plugin I don't have...

Plugin? Music playback should be built into all current browsers with no need of a plugin. In fact, when sites actually REQUIRE using plugins to show files I KNOW my browser can already use (like Crescendo), I get steamed *goes boom*.

Well, I've beaten the first boss, and all I can say is dissappointing. The music was especially lame. About the only thing the boss had going for him was his size.

I sure don't know how you can say the controls are better than on N64. Link turns slower and runs slower (and looks homosexual while doing so).

I do like how the world is presented (graphical style), I just don't like how Link is drawn and while his animations are fairly good, his model looks stupid which distracts from the game (I'd say overall appeal, but since I only just made it to the second dungeon, I can't judge the overall game yet).

So far, I still prefer Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Well for whatever reason I'm pretty sure that I don't get sound in webpages that have it. Maybe they do ActiveX or something...

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
ZHQ is BACK? When? If it was long ago, why did no one mention it??? That site was by FAR the best Zelda site on the net until it died sometime in 1999 or 2000... does it still have music playing on all the pages? Netscape 7 doesn't seem to work with that... probably requires some plugin I don't have...

I just found out about the new site at the ign boards. I used to go to that site all of the time, back around the time OoT came out. I have fond memories of printing out all of Neil's OoT Spaceworld impressions and reading them on the tramway in Croatia. Good times, those were. And they still have the music playing at the site.

Quote:Well, I've beaten the first boss, and all I can say is dissappointing. The music was especially lame. About the only thing the boss had going for him was his size.

I sure don't know how you can say the controls are better than on N64. Link turns slower and runs slower (and looks homosexual while doing so).

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I brought over my brother's tv into my room and played both games side to side and Link in WW is much more responsive than before. The controls are definitely more polished in WW.

Quote:I do like how the world is presented (graphical style), I just don't like how Link is drawn and while his animations are fairly good, his model looks stupid which distracts from the game (I'd say overall appeal, but since I only just made it to the second dungeon, I can't judge the overall game yet).

So far, I still prefer Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Well good for you.

I hope the next Zelda game they make takes place after Zelda 2, which would make it the latest Zelda game, chronologically speaking.

And make it a porno game that takes place right at the end of Zelda 2. I've always wondered what Link and Zelda did right after the curtains closed...

[Image: attachment.php?s=&postid=8222] [Image: attachment.php?s=&postid=8223]

But seriously, I'd love to see a game that takes place after Zelda 2.

Quote:I just found out about the new site at the ign boards. I used to go to that site all of the time, back around the time OoT came out. I have fond memories of printing out all of Neil's OoT Spaceworld impressions and reading them on the tramway in Croatia. Good times, those were. And they still have the music playing at the site.

Yeah, that was such a great site... it was really too bad back when it died. It is VERY surprising to see it back... I mean, didn't the webmaster and everyone leave it 3 or more years ago?

Oh and as for the graphical style in TWW I have already discussed in length my impressions after playing it... namely that they look great but just aren't the right way for Zelda to look its best... and are not as immersive in the same way OoT's graphics were...

Yeah, that was such a great site... it was really too bad back when it died. It is VERY surprising to see it back... I mean, didn't the webmaster and everyone leave it 3 or more years ago?

Oh and as for the graphical style in TWW I have already discussed in length my impressions after playing it... namely that they look great but just aren't the right way for Zelda to look its best... and are not as immersive in the same way OoT's graphics were...

I disagree with you. Zelda has never been more immersive for me.

And Neils T. Hooft (or something) did leave, but someone else is running the site. And do you have the game yet?

Quote:Zelda has never been more immersive for me.

Agreed... it feels like the Saturday morning cartoons I grew up on (which weren't even much, considering I didn't have cable, but I digress). It feels more like a fantasy than OoT/MM... I like it a lot.

It actually also reminds me of the NES Zelda games, and the first Star Tropics. Its music also reinforces the feeling... I grew up on these 2D, yet beautiful and colorful adventure games, so I love the nostagic feeling WW gives me.

I see room for improvement in the graphics department, but this is still the best-looking cel-shaded game I've ever played.

Indeed. Playing this little Link reminds me of when I used to dress up in green and play in my backyard pretending to be Link.

I also love the whole Celtic theme throughout the soundtrack.

Well, I better get back to playing!

No, I don't. I'm almost broke, have no good way to get to the mall, and don't have a TV anyway...

Well, the second dungeon was much too easy. This game had better get harder soon!

The "I GOT WIND WAKER!!!" thread - Laser Link - 25th March 2003

Yeah, that stupid boat won't let me go anywhere I want to ;) Linear is just the word I was looking for. Moreso than I would like. What they should have done is just have the boat remind you where you should be headed (for if you truely were lost and headed in the wrong direction) and then just have barriers at the different islands that you need items aquired in previous dungeons to get past. That way we'd be able to explore more of the world like in previous Zelda games (which limited you exactly how I listed above)

The Deku Leaf is alright, but nothing beats the Master Sword (if you're just talking items then I'd have to say that the Boomerang or Hookshot would win. Although using the Bow from the back of Epona (in Oot and MM) was pretty cool too.

The shooting sword is the best item... I really wish that they hadn't gotten rid of it in OoT and beyond (I don't think it was even in OoA/S!). It was so cool in the first 4 games (assuming it was in AoL)!

No, I don't. I'm almost broke, have no good way to get to the mall, and don't have a TV anyway...

So how the hell can you call it less immersive if you've only played the demo??

The graphics!

Oh, and I don't suppose the shooting sword is back... they REALLY need to put it back in the series!

Oh please. The graphics in OoT are complete and utter shit compared to WW.

And the shooting sword would make things a bit too easy.