Tendo City
Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) (/showthread.php?tid=4511)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - Dark Jaguar - 29th June 2017

Witch & Hero is some bad grammar, like REALLY bad. Let me fix that for you.

The Witch And The Hero

Now it sounds like a fairy tale. Disney will call it "Heroics".

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 2nd July 2017

It isn't the most grammatical title, but at least it is descriptive -- you play as the Hero, mostly, moving around the screen bonking into enemies to hurt them, as you try to protect the frozen Witch in the center. See, Medusa turned her to stone, and your quest is to undo the curse and beat Medusa. When the Hero touches an enemy that does drain his health too with each hit, though. If the Witch dies it's game over, but the Hero will regenerate health after running out, but you'll be down for a few seconds. As you kill enemies you collect red powerups, and if you return to the center where the Witch is you charge up a meter. When the meter fills, the Witch is unfrozen for a few seconds and can attack with one of two spells, either a random shot attack which goes in all directions, or a targeted fireball attack that shoots in the direction she is facing. While unfrozen you can rotate her with L and R.

That's how everything goes up until the second form of the final boss, though. For the last fight you only control the Hero, and have to beat Medusa, who has quite a bit of health. It's a tough fight, which is why I gave up the first time, but with practice and grinding I finished it.

Now in the sequel, as I think I mentioned it's a bit better. The sequel stars very similar looking but new characters called the Little Witch and Little Hero. Again you mostly will fight as the Hero, since he regenerates while if the Witch dies it's game over, but in W&H II the Little Witch isn't frozen, and can move around the screen as well, with the face buttons. She moves slowly, but it is very handy to be able to move her around. Otherwise the formula is the same though, as you bonk enemies, collect red stuff to charge the magic meter, grind levels or money to be strong enough to survive in the next stage, and such. They're short enough games that the grinding isn't too bad, but it is a bit annoying.

Anyway... so, today, I finally got around to finishing the rest of the main single player campaign in...

Wii U
--
Splatoon -- Yeah, I finished the short but really fun single player campaign in this. I wish there was more here because what single player the game does have is pretty good, but it's fun while it lasts so it's alright. I will say though, I wish that they had made some good AI opponents for this game; the AI Octolings are just hopelessly terrible, and the option for decent AI opponents in multiplayer as well as single player really should have been in the game. Fortunately there are still enough people playing this game, at least now, to easily get into a match, but seriously, bots are a must in a good shooter! Otherwise though it's a very good game. The multiplayer is the better half overall, since the single player is pretty easy for the most part, but it's all good.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 12th November 2017

3DS
--
Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas - I finally got around to finishing this, the first game in this trilogy. It's a short game that should take 5-6 hours at most, but I thought it was a pretty fun adventure/puzzle escape game along the way. It's cheap and decently good.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 15th November 2017

3DS
--
Drancia Saga - This is a short single-screen sidescrolling action game ported from mobile phones. So, it's very simple stuff -- you are always moving in a direction. You can turn around, jump, and use a magic attack, and that's it. You auto-attack when your sword runs into enemies. There are about nine levels then a final boss, and you can't save during the game. Each level isn't too long either, with some not-too-hard enemies to kill then trickier bosses at the end of each stage. You will die, but have infinite continues from the beginning of the level, so the game's easy to beat in not too long if you stick with it for a little while. It's amusing but nothing great.

So, what's the hook then? Well, with the gems you get during play, you can buy more characters to play as. There are a lot of characters in this game, so if you want to unlock everything you'll be replaying it over and over. You can unlock even more by owning specific 3DS games, too -- Fairune 1 and 2, Gunman Clive 1 and 2, Witch & Hero 1 and 2, and others unlock characters if you have that game on your system. Characters are actually different, as there are multiple stats and these do affect play, but the basic gameplay is the same with everyone and the game is pretty much identical every time, as there are no branching paths or anything, so the core question this game asks is, once you've quickly finished it the first time, how much grind are you willing to do to get more characters to play this game with?

For myself, I think I'll play it a little more, but I have no interest in grinding the crazy amount that would be required to unlock everything. No way. Still, for cheap enough (ie, if it goes on sale again) it's maybe worth a look since it is simple, amusing fun for a little while. It's average stuff though.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2018

Turbo CD
--
Psychic Storm - finished. This is a decent but too easy PCECD (TCD) shmup. The game isn't the easiest shooter I've played on Turbo CD, there are some other pretty easy ones as well such as Download 2, but it is easy and rarely puts up much of a fight. There are no difficulty level options, and it even (somewhat rarely for the time) has two player co-op support, though I played it solo. I'm sure it's even easier with two people. The game has some nice graphics and music, and some variety as you can select the order you play some of the levels in, but between your health bar -- yes, this is a shmup without one-hit deaths -- and your super-form that makes you invincible for a while and you can use several times a level, it's not balanced well. Too bad. Still, it's decent enough that I don't regret getting it, even considering that it isn't cheap. (It's not really expensive, but it isn't cheap either.)

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 7th February 2018

Wii
--
Space Harrier - I played through this today with the motion control option, and it works pretty well. Control is quite jittery, but considering that the nunchuck is emulating the analog stick of the arcade game it works better than you might expect. Now, I admit, to finish this I credit-feeded my way through this, dying a lot along the way. It was fun, but much less satisfying than beating the 32X version was! Having limited lives and continues, and having to learn the game well enough to finish it despite that, is a fun challenge... but still, Space Harrier is a great game regardless, even if the infinite credits (and thus infinite lives, as in Space Harrier putting a coin in during play adds lives) here removes a lot of the challenge unless you deny yourself presses of the add-credits button.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 15th February 2018

Wii U
--
Midnight - This is a simple 'sidescrolling golf/platformer' thing that plays on the Gamepad. You use the stylus to toss a block around, trying to get it into a goal on each single-screen stage. It's a very simple and cheap game but it's a fun one to play while watching something else on TV, such as, these days, the Olympics. There are two of these on the Wii U, each with like 30-ish levels. I'm most of the way through the sequel too. There's also a third game on 3DS, but I don't have it yet. That one claims to have randomly generated levels, but I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse... I like predesigned content after all.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2018

My current plans are to buy those games I actually am interested in before the shut off time, and the moment Nintendo kills off the store for good, I'm hacking my Wii. I have literally no reason not to past the point where Nintendo could conceivably "block" anything from me.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2018

Is that post supposed to be in the 'games bought' thread? Anyway, I mostly agree; I'm probably going to hack my Wii after they disable the ability to add points to buy things with on the store, which happens late next month (March). However, the store itself will stay up until February or March of 2019, albeit just to allow people to download things they own already or spend points they have, as you won't be able to buy anymore. I see no reason to wait that long when you can't buy anything anymore.

Wii U
--
Midnight 2 - It's pretty much the same as the first one, but with new levels. Ie, it's a fun game you finish in an hour or so.

Game Boy Advance
--
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - While watching the Olympics, I like having something else to do. My Game Boy games are near the TV and I haven't played them in a while (I play the DS and 3DS much more often), so I decided to play some. Well, after trying a few, I went to this one, and quickly decided that it was fun and I should finish it. Whenever I last played it, some years back, I'd stopped after the first dungeon. Several days later, I have. I'll definitely have more to say about this game soon, but in short, I think that I, along with a lot of people, didn't give this game as much credit as it deserved, back when it came out. The game definitely has issues -- it's short, it's the easiest 2d Zelda game, and more -- but it's pretty good and I definitely liked it. It's got some interesting original items, that classic 2d Zelda gameplay, some fun exploration and an overworld that's better than I'd given it credit for before (though I do take issue with some things about the world), decent dungeons even if most of it's too easy, etc...

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 28th February 2018

3DS
--
Mighty Switch Force - I played this again today, and finally beat level 16, the last level of the main game. It's a good challenge. This puzzle/platformer is pretty fun, good game. Finishing it unlocked five harder bonus levels, which I'm playing now. I'm definitely going to play through them as well.

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 28th August 2018

So, 12 2/3rds years after buying the game, at probably somewhere over the 1100 hour mark from when I first played the original base game, I finally did it...

PC
--
Guild Wars: Nightfall - Yes, I finally, at last, beat the Guild Wars campaign I had never finished before! Nightfall is the third Guild Wars campaign, and released in late 2006. I bought this game digitally day one, since they gave you some ingame reward for doing so (I forget what it was, offhand). But by this point I guess I was starting to get burned out on GW, since I had spent so many hundreds of hours playing the game from 2004 to 2006, and after buying this stopped playing not too far in. I don't know, as great as this game is somehow I just didn't like it as much as Prophecies or Factions, and I'd still stick with saying that it's my least favorite of the four main campaigns. Nightfall is set in an Africa-inspired part of the world, and the idea of a fantasy RPG with an African setting is a great one and it is executed fairly well here, or at least as okay as the East Asian setting from Factions is... so it's a mishmash of things tossed in together, but at least they tried. That isn't the issue. Nor is the length or challenge; given the number of years involved I have no idea how long Nightfall took me, but even with the extended playtime, and with how I'd play it in bits here and there over the years instead of all at once as I did with the previous campaigns (Prophecies and Factions) in '04-'06, Nightfall felt long and pretty difficult. I believe it's longer than the maybe-too-short Factions (which took me 60 hours at most...), but shorter in hours than Prophecies, which is a solid hundred-hour campaign. There are some pretty hard missions in this game even in Normal difficulty, though. The Realm of Torment particularly had me stuck for a long, long time; it's a tough realm full of hard missions and constant punishment from negative status effects. It was frustrating at the time, but in retrospect it works, as it all comes together to a pretty interesting and unique chapter of Guild Wars. For the most part I can't really point to any specific things Nightfall does "wrong" that explain why it's my least favorite chapter, but it's also great so that kind of makes sense; Guild Wars IS in my top 10 best PC games ever list for a reason, after all! It's an incredible game.

I am also sure that had I played Nightfall through in 2006-2007 I'd have liked it a bit more, because with more humans around to party with things would be easier. However, that brings me to the one concrete issue I have with Nightfall. I'll need to back up, though. So, before Nightfall, there were two kinds of characters in active parties: human players, or Henchmen allies. Henchmen, or henchies as they were often called, are AI-controlled allies who use preset skill sets to fill out your party. This is necessary since Guild Wars is an extremely grouping-focused game which really requires a party to function in unless you are VERY good. However, henchmen have limitations, as they'd just follow you around pretty much; you had very limited control over them. With Nightfall, developer ArenaNet changed things. Henchmen still exist, but a new category of AI ally was added, Heroes. Heroes are characters you unlock who you can then add to your party. These differ from Henchmen since you can customize their skill bars yourself, filling out their skillsets from anything you have unlocked on your character or account. This is pretty great. Additionally, more control over AI movement was added, as you can set flags which tell your AI party members to move to specific points on the map. With Heroes you can even divide your AI allies into multiple groups each with their own separate flags, which is a degree of control impossible with Henchmen.

The result is that the Heroes system made Guild Wars a much more soloable game. Where previously people would often want to get in all-random-player groups for missions or quests or such, with Heroes people usually would just do them on their own. Playing missions or quests in random groups was something I loved about GW, since it allowed player grouping without me needing to go out there and join some higher-end guild that I never had any interest in being in, and after Nightfall's release that element of the game started to go away. This has always been a core part of why I dislike Nightfall.

However, of course, player counts are going to go down over time, and the Heroes system is important in that respect because once not enough people were playing any one campaign to always be able to rely on other humans being there to attempt something with, saying "just deal with it and try to beat that hard mission with just Henchmen" would get real frustrating real fast. Heroes are a great solution here and make playing the game today a lot better. I still do miss hte old, often random-human-group-focused Guild Wars, though... ah well, at least I was there for it.

But anyway, I was thinking about Guild Wars again recently, probably partially because of a patch they released a few months ago that added an infinite-draw-distance option that improves GW's graphics even more, as if the game even needed it given how amazing i still looks. I played a little because of that some weeks ago. Then I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few hours, but as usual I quickly dropped that massive disappointment in favor of the first one, because there's never a wrong time to go back to playing one of the best games ever! And I'm glad I did. I didn't stop after finishing Factions either, there's a huge amount of stuff in this game I've never done -- lots of quests, the three Guild Wars Beyond mini-campaigns they released between 2010 and 2013 that I never have done much of, whole explorable areas I'd never been to, and more... and it's still an incredibly, incredibly fun game, one of the best ever.

(Despite not expecting to like it, I preordered GW2 and bought it soon after release. But where I know have over 1100 hours played in the first GW, prerelease beta time estimates included, with GW2 my total playtime is... probably about 20 hours. It's an amazingly beautiful game with flawed gameplay that totally fails to appeal to fans of the original.)

Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 18th November 2018

3DS
--
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross - I got this some months ago, and finally have finished all of the puzzles in it. Yes, I'm still quite addicted to picross games, and am still working through Picross 3D Round 2 and Picross e7 for the 3DS, but this one, which is a My Nintendo reward exclusive and has fewer puzzles than the main ones, I've finished. It's good... apart from all of the 'now use this image in Miiverse!' texts you get, those are kind of sad. :(

RE: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2019

Sometime with in the past week or two I finally beat all of the puzzles in Picross 3D Round 2 for the 3DS! It's a fantastic game and I wish there was more of it, but it's over. I know I say this every time I mention the game, but again, the first one did have more -- it has a puzzle creator to make your own puzzles, and Nintendo distributed a whole bunch of packs of additional puzzles, some made by Nintendo and some by fans. You couldn't directly upload levels for people to download, but could send them to Nintendo for review if I remember right. Of course that was shut down with Wii/DS online, but it was there. This game sadly has none of that, so now that I did all the puzzles, that's it, and there isn't another Picross 3D game yet. Too bad... but what is there is fantastic.

RE: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2019

Oh, sometime in the last month or so I finished every puzzle in Picross e7 on the 3DS as well. I'm working on e8 now...

RE: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 16th October 2021

... So um yeah it's been a long time since I've posted in THIS thread, hasn't it. Two and a half years!  ... though a lot of that is because honestly, I can't think of many updates to make for most of that time.  I started playing a lot more modern games and fewer old ones and more online games and fewer games you can actually finish, and that ended up with the inevitable result of my not finishing games much at all. 

But I did play and finish a few games recently and I need to mention them.

Cruis'n Blast (Nintendo Switch) - I've been playing this game a lot since getting it.  It's incredibly fun and I'm really loving it!  The Switch's fairly inaccurate time counter says I'm at "over 15 hours played", and I've basically finished everything in the game other than maxing out the experience meters for all of the cars.  I've gotten every key and unlocked all of the cars, and also have gold medals in every circuit.  This is a fantastic, super fun arcade racing game which is the most arcadey arcade racer on consoles in a long, long time since, well, it's a real arcade game!  I absolutely love this and it's certainly at minimum one of my favorite games of the year.  I'm thinking of writing a full review.  Even though I have finished it, this is definitely a game I will continue playing sometimes, it's so much fun.

Wario Ware: Get it Together (Nintendo Switch) - This one I have more mixed feelings for.  I was looking forward to this game, but while I did finish the story mode, which took a few hours, I haven't gone back much since and I don't blame myself for it because this game gets very frustrating and the postgame is mostly a really annoying 'grind for better time/points in a very difficult and sort of online-connected weekly challenge' mode.  This game makes one major change from past Wario Ware games: instead of directly controlling elements of each microgame, you control a character on the screen and need to interact with the microgame via your character.  The problem is, each character controls differently and what you need to do in each microgame is also different.  This makes figuring out what to do with some characters in some microgames really frustrating in a way that past Wario Ware games were not.  Before, you could at least rely on the buttons directly affecting the game, but now you need to start with the basic question of 'what do I need to do in the first place?'.  And on the subject of that online challenge mode, trying to grind it for better scores is very difficult and frustrating' I tried for quite some time with the firstr few and still got really mediocre ratings, which doesn't really make me want to keep trying.  I don't know if actually that many people got better scores than me or if the ratings aren't actually connected to how players actually are doing; how web-connected IS this, actually?  You cannot see a leaderboard or anything, you just need to believe that the rating it's giving you is based on how other actual people did, with no proof provided that it is.  So yeah, it's yet another Ninetndo game with bad online, what a surprise... Rolleyes

Other than that, I have also completed all puzzles in Picross e(1) and Picross e2 on the 3DS.  I've also finished almost all in e7 and e8 and am working on e2 and e6 currently.  I generally play a few Picross puzzles on my 3DS just about every night.  It'll be sad once I finish all the 3DS Picross game puzzles, I have little interest in the Switch entries since button controls would be far worse than a stylus for this type of game and a finger would be useless for the kind of touch precision Picross demands.  As I've always said, reactive touch screens are better for videogames!

RE: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2023

What have I finished in the last two years?  Uh, not all that much, I mostly play games that are pretty much endless like Mario Maker 2 and such...

But I do think it would be nice to update it.  I'm sure I will forget some (expect another post?), but here's what I know I've beaten in the last few years.

Today:

Super Mario Bros. 1 (NES) - I was going to write this here but made a new thread instead.

Earlier this year:

Diablo IV (Xbox Series X) - One of my most played games of the year, I finished the main story in Diablo IV and mostly quite enjoyed it.  I haven't been back for a little while but definitely will return to this game to do more with it, it's very good.

A Dinosaur's Tale (Sega Genesis) - I played through this platformer at some point I believe it was earlier this year, and finished it.  It's decently fun stuff, nothing amazing but entertaining.

Picross e3, Picross e4, and Picross e5 (3DS eshop) - I've finished these three Picross games.  There isn't much left on the 3DS; other than the rest of e6, which I have started, all that's left is some of e8, since I put off finishing it.  Other than that there is also the Hello Kitty one to play, I only started that one.  And there's the Pokemon one, though since I didn't buy the DLC I don't know if I actually can legitimately play through the whole thing, I doubt it; it was a mobile-styled game which you had to put money in to to play, basically.  Super annoying stuff.  I know there are Switch Picross games, but they do not appeal anywhere remotely near as much due to the controls.  Reactive touch is dramatically better for this kind of game.

Link-A-Pix Color (3DS eshop) - I finished the last puzzle in this pretty fun 3DS esphop game yesterday.    It's too bad it's over.  This also has Switch followups, but due to controls it'd be less fun there.

Wordherd (3DS eshop) - This is another 3DS puzzler, this time a word game.  I played this game enough over a year or two period (mostly last year and earlier) to complete it twice, first on Normal and then a second time on Hard.  I would NOT recommend you do that though, because this games' dictionary is so badly lacking!  I can't even count how many times I lost not because I made any mistake, but because the only words that could keep my game going aren't in the over-small dictionary.  What a pain.  The concept's good though, it's a bit Boggle-like.  Good stuff.

G.G Series ASSAULT BUSTER (DSiWare on 3DS eshop) - This is one of a series of small games in the G.G Series, that were launched late in the DSiWare shop's life.  This is a decently fun action-ish game, though the very low budget definitely shows, it's pretty repetitive. Each stage is a single screen, and you control a scifi anime girl character with a jetpack who can zip around the screen, or walk on the ground, to shoot the various robots and such coming at you.  It's simple but works.  I played through this sometime earlier this year, after buying it close to the 3DS eshop shutdown.

Super Mario Wonder - As I said in my review, I bought this game on release day in November and finished it later that month.  It's pretty good.

There are probably a few more.

RE: Games I Have Finished (as far as I can remember) - Dark Jaguar - 16th December 2023

Ah Diablo IV...   Even if I wasn't fed up with Blizzard as a corporation and it's insidious acts as of late, I can't stomach any game with the level of manipulative FOMO tactics like it's monthly time-limited "battle pass" system.