Tendo City
So last week we were on vacation... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: So last week we were on vacation... (/showthread.php?tid=4485)

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 6th August 2007

And at the video rental place on Chincoteague Island, they were selling off a lot of their old SNES and N64 games. Very cheaply. $1 for 1 SNES game or $5 for 6 games, and $2 for one N64 game or $10 for 6. All games include not just the carts but also the box; most also have their manuals. Almost all games also have the cardboard box inserts, and whatever warranty cards, mini-posters, ad flyer things, etc that the games originally came with. Yeah, "wow" just about covers it.

Now, there were some downsides... no major titles for the SNES, really. Nothing from Nintendo itself outside of Pilotwings (and Stunt Race FX, kind of). No RPGs or action-adventure games of any kind. But still... I couldn't resist. I ended up buying 24 SNES games and 13 N64... about $45 total including tax. For all of this. :)

SNES
--
Final Fight 3
Cacoma Knight's Adventures in Bizyland
Addams Family Values
Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing
Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
Phantom 2040
The Lion King
Pilotwings
Lamborghini American Challenge
Super Valis IV
E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force (I already own the cart, but with the box and stuff, for this cheap? Why not?)
Whizz
Power Piggs of the Dark Age
Daffy Duck - The Marvin Missions
Ka-Blooey
Mohawk & Headphone Jack
Tiny Tunes Adventures - Buster Busts Loose
T2 - The Arcade Game
World Heroes 2
The Peace Keepers
Jurassic Park
Justice League Task Force
The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (the only SNES game I got that has battery save...)
Prehistorik Man

N64
--
Micro Machines 64 Turbo
Shadow Man
Nightmare Creatures
Charlie Blast's Territory
Clayfighter 63 1/3
Command & Conquer
Castlevania
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Big Mountain 2000
Quake II
Lode Runner 3D
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Monaco Grand Prix

In addition, the week before last I picked up a few games (here in town, not on vacation)...

Sega CD
--
Midnight Raiders (FMV junk! Awesome!)
AH-3 Thunderstrike

Genesis
--
The Jungle Book (the Shiny version...)
Sonic 3

DS (yes, an actual new, full-price game...)
--
Magical Starsign
--

So last week we were on vacation... - EdenMaster - 6th August 2007

That's awesome and all but...do you just buy games to expand your collection at this point? I mean, <i>Power Piggs of the Dark Age</i>?

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 6th August 2007

Quote:That's awesome and all but...do you just buy games to expand your collection at this point?

Sometimes, pretty much... :D

Why else would I have gotten something as horrible as US Gold's Winter Olympics '94 (for free, but still...)? I mean, I had the PC version of their World Cup game from that year and it was terrible, but... it was free... (my only regret is that I missed out on a (also free) copy of Super Troll Islands... :D)

At least with Midnight Raiders I have the excuse of "FMV games are often so bad that they're funny, so they're worth getting despite their low quality"... :)

Also it's not like I had the internet around to go check up on each game. I was just going by my memory of stuff. Mostly from Nintendo Power and stuff, since most of those games aren't stuff I've played the roms of...

... and when it's 6 games for $5, and there are some number of games you want, just just fill in some additional spots with ... other stuff. Like that game. Or Phantom 2040, which I got because I remember the cheesy newspaper comic (which the local paper used to have years ago but dropped some time back) and despite that the game was sure to be mediocre at best I wanted it anyway. :)

(And besides, Power Piggs actually has a kind of well done manual. It's like a cartoon book, mostly, telling the backstory... such as it is... :))

With the N64 stuff at least only a couple of them were "knowingly getting bad games" material... Clayfighter and Big Mountain, namely... I did resist buying Automobili Lamborghini, though, which I remember being awful and not worth playing. But it's another Titus game, and Titus was not exactly known for quality... (making, for instance, Whizz, Prehistorik Man, and Power Piggs. I debated not getting those ones because they were Titus games, but because of how cheap they were got them anyway.)

Titus just had such a horrific track record. I mean... in addition to this stuff, they made Superman 64 and Blues Brothers 2000, two of the worst N64 games ever, and it's not easy to find a Titus game with consistently high ratings. :)

Anyway, to answer your question, the thought essentially is "meh, at that price, why not? It's not like I have to actually PLAY the game much..."

So last week we were on vacation... - EdenMaster - 6th August 2007

Hey, more power to you and I'm sure your collection is impressive.

From a distance :D

I just don't like crap clutternig up my shelves. I don't want my glorious Ocarina of Time sharing a shelf with South Park Rally, nor Super Mario RPG having it's value lowered by being placed next to Urban Champion (or worse!).

I likes my retro experiences as much as anyone else, but I have standards :). I can go look at my collection and say that any one of these titles belongs there, and I would be happy to pick any one of them up and enjoy it on the spot.

I guess I'm just picky about my collection that way. But if quantity over quality is your thing, you enjoy your SNES Lion King :D

So last week we were on vacation... - Great Rumbler - 7th August 2007

And this is why you don't have any money left to buy NEW games.

But if it makes you happy, go for it, I guess.

So last week we were on vacation... - Dark Jaguar - 7th August 2007

This reminds me of my friend who searches high and low to find incorrectly manufactured in-box Star Wars toys. However, to each their own. For my part, I expand my collection as well but with games I think I'll enjoy playing. Of course sometimes there are bad choices (Quest 64) but I tend to filter the stuff out.

However, there are some who prefer to have a massive collection of whatever they can find. I don't collect figurines and never saw the point in not even taking them out of the box (they say it increases value, and in the very next breath say they would never actually sell them, so it's weird), but some people love having that massive collection of eyes staring at them in the darkness.

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 7th August 2007

Quote:And this is why you don't have any money left to buy NEW games.

If it's a game you don't own, it's new. :)

Also, I've bought some new games this year... Neverwinter Nights 2 and Rise of Legends for the PC (as well as the ones that came with my computer, if that counts), some DS games (the ones that weren't used, that is; obviously, since I just got my DS in January, all 11 of the games I have were 2007 purchases), maybe something for GC, etc...

Quote:Hey, more power to you and I'm sure your collection is impressive.

From a distance

I just don't like crap clutternig up my shelves. I don't want my glorious Ocarina of Time sharing a shelf with South Park Rally, nor Super Mario RPG having it's value lowered by being placed next to Urban Champion (or worse!).

I likes my retro experiences as much as anyone else, but I have standards . I can go look at my collection and say that any one of these titles belongs there, and I would be happy to pick any one of them up and enjoy it on the spot.

I guess I'm just picky about my collection that way. But if quantity over quality is your thing, you enjoy your SNES Lion King

Well, I don't keep them in their boxes all the time... the boxes go on a box or shelf in the basement or something like that and the carts go in my big bag thing which I keep that stuff in. ... Unfortunately that bag is now not large enough for my whole game collection (with my GC, Sega CD, and PSX CDs in a couple of CD holder things and not in their cases either), but at least it can hold all of the cart system stuff...

Of course, owning it all is impossible. It'd take up too much space and wouldn't be worth the effort (just play the roms... :)). But still, I like to get games anyway, and like the fact that my collection is quite large...

I know that the carts get dirtier just put in piles or in a bag that always seems to collect dirt than they would be kept in their cases all the time, but kept that way they'd take up a huge amount of room (and thus would be immobile) and would be a lot harder to actually USE, so it's not worth it. Cleaning kit or blowing on the things it is. :)

Quote:This reminds me of my friend who searches high and low to find incorrectly manufactured in-box Star Wars toys. However, to each their own. For my part, I expand my collection as well but with games I think I'll enjoy playing. Of course sometimes there are bad choices (Quest 64) but I tend to filter the stuff out.

However, there are some who prefer to have a massive collection of whatever they can find. I don't collect figurines and never saw the point in not even taking them out of the box (they say it increases value, and in the very next breath say they would never actually sell them, so it's weird), but some people love having that massive collection of eyes staring at them in the darkness.

I couldn't deny that part of the fun (of buying stuff for old systems like the Genesis or SNES) is simply buying the games and not just playing them, since I could always just play the rom or something, that's true... still though, at least games have more uses than action figures do, for most people. :)

So last week we were on vacation... - Dark Jaguar - 7th August 2007

Hey, Lion King was one of the few good Disney games made way back when. That and Alladin on the SNES.

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 7th August 2007

Quote:Hey, Lion King was one of the few good Disney games made way back when. That and Alladin on the SNES.

Yeah, I know. I should have mentioned that too... Lion King isn't perfect, because I think that they focused more on the graphics than the gameplay, but still, it's good. It has somewhat bad play control (it requires precise, extremely frustrating precision), but the graphics sure are amazing...

On that note, one of the games I got, Jungle Book (Genesis) is by Shiny, just like Genesis Aladdin. And Genesis Aladdin is one of my favorite Genesis games. I never saw the Jungle Book movie, but the graphics... wow, that team did so much with animation that almost no one at the time was trying to do...

Licensed games from bad developers have always been bad, but good developers used to make licensed games too. In the 8 and 16-bit eras Capcom (lots of Disney stuff), Virgin (other Disney games, 16-bit era only), and Konami (Tiny Toon Adventures, TMNT, others), to name a few, consistently made good to great licensed games...

On a completely different note, Magical Starsign has nice graphics, but the mind-numbingly easy difficulty level and simple, repetitive gameplay gets boring. It'd also be nice if there was a way to play with the buttons too... the touchscreen controls are interesting, but not really necessary for anything in particular, and being able to use either buttons or the touchscreen would have been nice. The battles are random of course, but it's so linear that that doesn't really matter...

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 9th August 2007

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6485013263946560647

This video makes me want more SNES games. :)

So last week we were on vacation... - Dark Jaguar - 9th August 2007

I don't like the narrator at all. He certainly has a completely different system for judging games than I do.

So last week we were on vacation... - EdenMaster - 10th August 2007

I do like to buy figures of characters from games I really like or are really, really into at a certain time when I have money to buy a figure for it :D. Lets see, I have...

Donald and Goofy (with their Kingdom Hearts outfits and staff/sheild)
Anima (FFX)
Revolver Ocelot (MGS)
Voldo (Soul Calibur II 1st costume)
Sephiroth (tiny, unbendable figurine, about five inches high. I also have a Sephy wall clock)
8 miniature figures of the eight main characters of FFX (the 7 party members and Seymour)
Vincent Valentine (FF VII, of course)
Two Aurons (yes, two. Shut up.)
Balthier (FF XII)
Rush (Mega Man)

I think that's all. I don't keep them in their packaging though, I never understood that either. I buy them to display, not to maintain their value. Sure, I could display them from their boxes, but that's stupid :).

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 10th August 2007

Quote:I don't like the narrator at all. He certainly has a completely different system for judging games than I do.

True, the narrator's not that great, but it is actual video from the time the SNES was out -- that's not 'looking back' stuff, it's 'these are current' stuff, I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly). Which makes it a bit more interesting. :)

Quote:I think that's all. I don't keep them in their packaging though, I never understood that either. I buy them to display, not to maintain their value. Sure, I could display them from their boxes, but that's stupid .

Because the second you so much touch the wrapping of something you reduce its value. So put your baseball cards in special sleeves, and never unwrap your videogames in your collection because new-in-shrinkwrap is what you want to REALLY have, etc, etc...

... Yeah, I've always thought that that thinking is pretty dumb too. Collectors would have hated the way I constantly bent my baseball cards... :D

So last week we were on vacation... - Dark Jaguar - 11th August 2007

You should get that off brand Mexican Yoda vs Mickey Mouse (both in their dark cloaks, one with saber and the other with a keyblade) action figure set.

So last week we were on vacation... - N-Man - 11th August 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6485013263946560647

This video makes me want more SNES games. :)

Wow, that takes me back. The guy must have ADD or something though. CHEAT! CHEAT! CHEAT! OMG THIS GAME HAS LIKE 6 LEVELS BO-RING!

So last week we were on vacation... - A Black Falcon - 11th August 2007

Hah... yeah. I mean, how is "if you cheat it's easy" criticism? Of course if you cheat it should be easy... I guess that in the days when games that didn't have cheatcodes could be insanely hard noting when a game actually DID could be helpful, but it shouldn't be a criticism, given that you could just choose not to cheat and have it be at its full difficulty. :)