Tendo City
GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: GameCube... and it's SLOTS (/showthread.php?tid=445)

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Sacred Jellybean - 20th March 2003

Is anyone else here extremely irritated at the fact that GameCube has 2 slots for memory cards, yet most games (that I've played, at least, including Metroid Prime) only read from Slot A? What's the point of even having 2 when you're just going to have to switch them anyway?

So bloody annoying... :bang:

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Darunia - 20th March 2003

Good point. I never noticed that.

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Dark Jaguar - 20th March 2003

Haha, I've been mad about such tactics as that for a LONG time, since the PS1 and N64 actually. Here's another pet peeve. What's with limiting your number of saves per card? I hate how some games prevent you from saving more than like 3 or 4 save slots even though there is PLENTY of room for more on there.

Really though, what is with games that don't let you select a slot to load from? It's nutty! All the systems do it. The XBox's games, for the most part, won't even read from the memory card during play. You have to copy the files to the hard disk and THEN you can use them. I really wish they would put some extra work into it.

However, at least they have copy/move on the GCN. The N64 had a glaring error in memory card design that kept you from moving or copying saved data at ALL (unless you used little cheap tricks like I did, starting new save files on the card, loading your up to date data on one, switching, then saving that way).

It's really annoying, I must say.

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - EdenMaster - 21st March 2003

During the Memory Card 59 days, I had problems. Especially when I played Eternal Darkness. It always seemed to read from the card on the OTHER SIDE, no matter what I did. Finally, I had to make a copy of my game data to both momory cards to get it to work. After I saved a game to my Slot 1 memory card, no more problems were had.

Nowadays, I don't pay much attention to it. I keep my Memory Card 251 in Slot A which has all of my games data on it (It's almost full!), and in Slot B, I have my Animal Crossing town data (AC can read from slot B).

My GameCube and I have settled our differences. Well, one of them anyway.

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2003

I haven't had problems... first I used just a 59 in slot 1, and now I use a 251 in slot 1 with a 59 in slot 2... the 59 has a ED save and a couple of Burnout replays on it... works fine for me.

But it would be really annoying if I had a 251 in slot 2 also and had to constantly switch them depending on what game I'm playing because of lazy programmers...

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - CartoonDevil - 22nd March 2003

Yes, I'm annoyed by the fact that I often have to switch my memory cards around. In fact, I'm annoyed by the whole memory card situation in general. Why aren't there FOUR slots? Why do many games only read from slot A? Why hasn't that special adapter been released so we won't ever need more than just the one card? (251 is TONS better than 59, but my Madden saves fill it up fast).

Come on Nintendo! Don't be a dumbass!

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd March 2003

Yeah, I was also disappointed at seeing only 2 memory card slots when GameCube was first unveiled (especially considering that 4-player PSO for GC had been announced by then). It's an even bigger disappointment to find that with most games, the second slot functions merely as a card holder. There's no point in having that 2nd slot if developers will be too lazy to have games read from both memory cards in both slots. Nintendo should have taken extra steps to make sure both would always be utilized.

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - A Black Falcon - 22nd March 2003

Its insane that the NGC would have ANY games that only support slot one! I mean, I don't remember any N64 games that required you to have the card in controller one... well, maybe one or two, but of the 8 to 10 games that support controller paks I've played, all of them that I can remember support all the slots... except maybe one... but on the NGC, a lot of games only support slot one! Its bizarre...

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Dark Jaguar - 22nd March 2003

You probably played a lot of games I didn't, because I had the same problem in the N64 with all the N64 games that supported memory cards that I played. Let's see... Mystical Ninja, F-Zero X, Mario Kart... On the N64 it was VERY annoying because I couldn't use both the Rumble Pak and the Memory Pak at once. I had to pick and choose. In fact, the only game I own that actually supports paks in all slots is Perfect Dark.

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2003

F-Zero X doesn't use memory cards... at least as far as I know it doesn't...

*checks his N64 games* Well, I have 10 N64 games (of my 26) which support memory cards... and know some about a few more games that I've saved to my memory cards.

Gauntlet Legends, Excitebike 64 (track saves), SF Rush 2049, Rush 2 - USA, Battletanx Global Assualt (though it only reads from the first available card, and 1 save per card, so to use a save on card 2 you must remove the card in controller 1...), Perfect Dark, and Bomberman 64 (uses controller pak for the multiplayer character save) all support controller ports past the first one... but 5 other games (Diddy Kong Racing (ghost saves), Hydro Thunder, Wipeout 64, Blast Corps, and Beetle Adventure Racing) only support the first slot.

Oh, and it is annoying that the N64 required switching... which is why I really liked my 3rd party rumble pak -- it was the big Interact one that had a controller port in it and a switch to switch between them, so it was easy to use a controller pak in port 1... but it broke last year and I haven't gotten a new rumble pak. Oh well...

GameCube... and it's SLOTS - Dark Jaguar - 23rd March 2003

I had assumed F-Zero X used a pak for ghost saves, but now that I think about it I think they did store a single ghost save bit of data on the cart and that was it... Eh, oh right, Quest 64 also only uses slot 1.

It is in fact VERY stupid. Incorporating a small menu with an option to select a memory card slot isn't THAT hard a thing to do. All it takes is to do that from the start (taking probably 10 to 15 minutes, maybe, depending on how they go about doing that), and then just go through the rest of the project's saved data bits with that option in mind. Adding it in near the end is a bit harder, because then you have to go in through the whole code and such finding all the stuff that uses the save system and make some changes all around (unless all the stuff just makes calls to a save class or function, in which case they may not need to do anything more than alter that particular part of the code after all). Well, it seems that simple from MY end anyway. I really don't think it's something as hard as designing enemy AI routines.

And one last thing. Nintendo REALLY should NOT have made animal crossing saved data unmovable. They could have just made it uncopyable, and that would be plenty.