Tendo City
Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! (/showthread.php?tid=4431)

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Dark Jaguar - 14th June 2007

I think it started with a weird translation in Kingdom Hearts 2 with Mickey saying this, but it needs to stop.

The expression is "Well, I guess I'll see you later", why are you saying "WELP"? I looked the word up! It means either a rank in the scouts or a wolf pup, or in some cases an insult like calling someone an urchin. Am I to understand Mickey was calling everyone welps before making some casual statement? And now, everyone else online is doing it too! "Welp" doesn't mean "well"! Never did!

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Great Rumbler - 14th June 2007

It's commonly accepted slang. I don't use it myself though.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Sacred Jellybean - 14th June 2007

I use it every now and then. It sounds less formal than "well", for some reason.

It sounds retarded, and I've never heard a single person in "real space" say that. Or, is it new "net slang" now?

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Sacred Jellybean - 14th June 2007

Actually, I think it started in "real space" and leaked into "net slang". I'm pretty sure I've heard it before Kingdom Hearts came around.

Maybe it's a combination between "well" and "yup"...

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Fittisize - 14th June 2007

I've never even heard of the word until now. It sounds pretty stupid. I'll never say it.

Most likely it originated in Southern slang.

I find it odd that southern oklahoma has all this odd slang and northern doesn't... I guess it would make sense for it to be from the south and all. I mean, they invented such classics as "melpya?".

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Bo Jackson - 14th June 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:It sounds retarded, and I've never heard a single person in "real space" say that. Or, is it new "net slang" now?
it sounds slow?

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Weltall - 14th June 2007

A whelp is a young dog.

A welp is nothing, and the fact that my auto-spellchecker underlines it makes it fact.

My auto-spellchecker didn't think "indignance" was a word either. Needless to say, it learned it's lesson very quickly.

Bo Jackson Wrote:it sounds slow?

It sounds like it reduces limits or caps the rate of development!

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - lazyfatbum - 16th June 2007

**thorn_of_the_rose** says: I like you but i'm not interested in dating right now...

1 headed dog says: welp... atleast I tried.

---

It's used to convey a feeling of lightheartedness in a particular situation that seems somewhat heavy. Other's include 'Dokay' and 'yuppers' as well as 'weeelllllll....' which can also be used in forms of sarcasm much like how 'Okay' feels lateral and emotionless but 'ok' in certain situations can come across as a 'fuck you'. The most common form of opening a statement with something to show an emotional value of being confused or showing displeasure is 'er...' with it's sarcastic counterpart being 'ah...'.

"err... weren't you saying you would?"

"Ah... so backing out now?"

In a matter of speaking the terminology difference can best be described as dominent or submissive. Welp would fall under the submissive.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Dark Jaguar - 16th June 2007

How about "well" since it's actually a word? Doesn't it convey the same thing, as well as not basically calling someone a wolf cub?

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - EdenMaster - 16th June 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:How about "well" since it's actually a word? Doesn't it convey the same thing, as well as not basically calling someone a wolf cub?

lazyfatbum Wrote:It's used to convey a feeling of lightheartedness in a particular situation that seems somewhat heavy.

I believe that's been covered, DJ. Saying just well may not convey the meaning the same way. Much like many forms of implied emotion in face-to-faxce conversations are lost when it's only text.

And we've also covered that a "whelp" is a wolf pup.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Dark Jaguar - 16th June 2007

Indeed, but I'm just not seeing it. I'll just keep taking it as a sign that person's mother bought baby formula in aluminum cans at the hardware store if it's all the same.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - lazyfatbum - 17th June 2007

You cant please some women.

So as to offer something more palpable try saying welp in a goofy voice, I mean goofy the disney character. You understand "Up, I dropped it!" why cant you understand welp?

phailear

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Great Rumbler - 17th June 2007

Dark Jaguar: Fighting the good fight, one random slang word at a time.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - A Black Falcon - 17th June 2007

You can't fight slang, there's an almost infinite amount of it out there...

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - EdenMaster - 17th June 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:You can't fight slang, there's an almost infinite amount of it out there...

Like "shmup", the existence of which I still refuse to acknowledge.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - A Black Falcon - 17th June 2007

What should they be called then? Shooters, like they were back when the genre was popular? Can't do that thanks to the FPS genre. No, there's no better term.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - EdenMaster - 18th June 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:What should they be called then? Shooters, like they were back when the genre was popular? Can't do that thanks to the FPS genre. No, there's no better term.

You know what I call them? Shooters (usually Space Shooters since thats where most of the genre take place). You know what I call FPS games? FPS's.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2007

"space shooters" is decent, but doesn't reflect the fact that they don't all occur in space... most older ones did, but looking at shmups from the past decade or so, it has become more and more likely that they take place over land, not in space.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - EdenMaster - 19th June 2007

Okay then, if pressed to describe such a game, it would probablybe "overhead shooter", since it usually is from a top-down perspective. Something like R-Type I'd call a side-scolling shooter.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - lazyfatbum - 19th June 2007

I love it when obvious things get passed up.

ABF: You cant fight slang

EM: the term Shmup is stupid!

*ABF and EM fight over slang*

I'll say tho that shmup is retarded. If I ever see 'shmup' on a game box i'm going to fucking kill you until you're dead ABF.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Bo Jackson - 19th June 2007

yeah i hate "shmup" too

just call them shooters, or if you want to be more specific then horizontal or vertical shooters.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Sacred Jellybean - 19th June 2007

Is it because "shmup" is too close to "shmuck"?

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - lazyfatbum - 20th June 2007

I think it's because "shmup" is too close to "retarded". I also dislike 'shoot em up' which makes even the grandest of space battles sound like a western. It's a shooter, its a 2-D or 3-D side-scrolling, top-down, horizontal, isometric, first or third person SHOOTER.

Do we call games like Streets of Rage a 'bemup'? Why dont we call MMORPG's Mogs? Why dont we refer to third person action adventure platformers as thipeturformers (and of course thipeturcons)? Why doesn't it work? Because no one has any fucking clue what you're talking about if you call something anything with a term that retarded.

Especially shmup, It sounds like a term used to describe deformed puppies. The idea of a moniker or genre title is that it explains what the hell it is you're doing in the game in a generalized logical fashion - shmup falls so far outside that ideal that it missed the net and landed on a cheerleader.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - Bo Jackson - 20th June 2007

Haha, it does sound like a term for deformed puppies.

Stop saying "welp" instead of "well"! - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2007

Bah, it's not THAT bad... a little silly sure, but as good as any other...

Quote:Do we call games like Streets of Rage a 'bemup'? Why dont we call MMORPG's Mogs? Why dont we refer to third person action adventure platformers as thipeturformers (and of course thipeturcons)? Why doesn't it work? Because no one has any fucking clue what you're talking about if you call something anything with a term that retarded.

Erm, MMORPG already IS a short form term of course. What's the difference really between an acronym like MMORPG or RTS or something and a merged word like shmup (for 'shoot 'em up' obviously)? Not much.

Also, MMORPGs are often just called MMOs. You are right though that some genres are usually not used in short forms, like action/adventure or beat 'em up or fighting game or something. I'm not sure why some are and some aren't... I'd think word length has a lot to do with it, but that doesn't explain everything... it's just the way it happened I guess. Language is funny, particularly the English language. :)

Quote:Okay then, if pressed to describe such a game, it would probablybe "overhead shooter", since it usually is from a top-down perspective. Something like R-Type I'd call a side-scolling shooter.

Really, every game and genre has its acronyms and shortened versions of words... shooters have theirs like shmup, hori/vert, tate mode, etc, but every popular game or genre has plenty of them too. I guess 'shmup' is just a funnier word than many of them.