Tendo City
Gametap finally something worth looking into... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Gametap finally something worth looking into... (/showthread.php?tid=4401)

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - Dark Jaguar - 31st May 2007

Gametap used to suck as far as I was concerned. Basically, the main issue is I will NEVER pay a monthly fee to access a single player game (and as for multiplayer, I have limits as to how much I'll spend but basically I'll only pay for online components, and then not that much, for example Xbox Live). I'd much rather own.

So basically, these Gametap guys with their annoying commercials and sickly green art style finally just copied steam and now I can just buy games outright from their little library. Now I'm interested.

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - Great Rumbler - 31st May 2007

A monthly fee is bad when you get access to 100+ games?

Very few of those games are ones I'm really even interested in, and really, once it's on MY hard disk, WHY am I paying a monthly fee again? No, the way I like to do things is to OWN the games I play. I'll only pay fees for online components. Now that they finally allow that, I don't have to jump through those stupid hoops and if I want a game, I can own it forever.

Most of the games they have are games that I wouldn't buy. On the other hand, paying the service means that I can essentially play any of those games that I want to while not feeling like I have to buy each single one.

Until you stop paying the fee, then those games are gone, until you pay it again. In the long run, you end up paying more than the cost of the games if you had just bought then. Isn't it always better to own than to rent? This really goes right along with the fact I don't bother with credit cards. I figure if I don't have the money on me right then to pay for what I want at the time outright, I probably shouldn't be buying it.

Credit cards? You sir need a debit card.

I said I DON'T have a credit card, DON'T! Further, actually I do have a debit card, or "check card" as they are sometimes called, and it has NO credit functionality attached to it, which is just how I likes it.

Lots of people I know do have credit cards though, and they live "from month to month" as the saying goes, paying off one debt by getting into another. As a result, I have a healthy fear of being indebted to others.

This is neither here nor there though. I have no intention of paying a monthly fee for something which, by all rights, has NO reason to have a monthly fee attached to it. It's about as pointless as those new online movie places where you pay a monthly fee to get DVDs mailed to you. I want no part of that either.

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - A Black Falcon - 31st May 2007

I don't have a credit card either, and don't think I want one. I do have a debit card though... they're good. There is an argument for credit cards, though -- since a debit card deducts directly from your bank account, if it gets stolen and someone manages to withdraw with it that's coming right out of the bank, which might be a bit harder problem to fix than a stolen credit card with which you can just tell the company that it was stolen and that all the bills after some point are invalid -- but even so, keeping away from the "spending more than you have" problem is a good thing, and when you don't have much money anyway, that problem I described doesn't matter much... :)

Anyway, I like my debit card, but whenever possible I prefer to pay with cash. Cash is the best. :)

As for the original point, buying from GameTap? I agree, that's great! They should have done something like that a while ago...

It's nice because I can own it forever. The only issue is, do they do that thing Steam does where you have to be logged into the webbernets to play the game? That'll kill playing it in long road trips on my laptop... I suppose I could get some sort of spoofer app that pretends to be the Gametap/Steam servers and tricks the thing into thinking it's online so I can play my games that way. Those exist right? I've yet to look into those, but I think I want to. I'll also need those if ever these two services went down forever. I own those games, I'm playing them! That's what I'm saying.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I said I DON'T have a credit card, DON'T! Further, actually I do have a debit card, or "check card" as they are sometimes called, and it has NO credit functionality attached to it, which is just how I likes it.

Lots of people I know do have credit cards though, and they live "from month to month" as the saying goes, paying off one debt by getting into another. As a result, I have a healthy fear of being indebted to others.

This is neither here nor there though. I have no intention of paying a monthly fee for something which, by all rights, has NO reason to have a monthly fee attached to it. It's about as pointless as those new online movie places where you pay a monthly fee to get DVDs mailed to you. I want no part of that either.

First off, I meant that as "Who needs credit cards anyway? Debit cards work just well and use actual money."

Secondly, your criticism of Netflix is just plain stupid. I've been using it for a month now and I love it. There's no constant trips to the DVD rental place, I can keep DVDs as long as I need to to finish watching them, and I can load up a queue of movies I want to see and have them delivered on a regular basis to my house with minimal hassles. In other words, you don't like it because you haven't tried it. Or because you're crazy.

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - DMiller - 31st May 2007

The good thing about credit cards, though, is building up your credit history. I've had a credit card for a few years now that I have only used to buy gas and I pay it off in full every month. I have a pretty good credit score now and that helps a lot when you are looking to buy a car or a house, which is what I'll be doing in a few months. I have started using my credit card online, though, for the reason ABF mentioned. I had my debit card number stolen last Christmas and nearly $300 was taken out of my account. It didn't break me and I got the money back in about a month, but it did give me a scare since I don't go to many unknown sites online so I don't know how the number got out. Now I use my credit card when I buy things online because if it somehow gets stolen I don't actually lose the money for any amount of time. Credit cards are definitely useful as long as you have the will-power to not use it if you don't have the money.

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - A Black Falcon - 31st May 2007

Agreed. Whenever I actually get a real income I'll likely get one for that reason, though I doubt very much that I'd use it much... it's not that I think that if I started using one I'd go into debt (my parents always paid off their credit card bills in full every month, etc, so there's no family history of that or something), but it's easier when you're just dealing with direct debit, via cash or debit card. But yes, "building your credit" and reducing fraud risks are good reasons to use one. I certainly get lots of credit card ads in the mail (bad deals I'm sure, but if you don't use it or avoid missing payments that wouldn't matter). I don't think I'll be getting one soon though.

For one thing, I don't like to buy things online... the only things I've ever bought online were my old computer, my current computer (and there's no alternative to that; I'm certainly not going to buy some preconfigured store model!), and Guild Wars Nightfall, which I got via digital distribution through the game client so no actual "sending me a box" was required, just a payment and a resulting CD-key to use.

Gametap finally something worth looking into... - EdenMaster - 31st May 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:It's nice because I can own it forever. The only issue is, do they do that thing Steam does where you have to be logged into the webbernets to play the game? That'll kill playing it in long road trips on my laptop... I suppose I could get some sort of spoofer app that pretends to be the Gametap/Steam servers and tricks the thing into thinking it's online so I can play my games that way. Those exist right? I've yet to look into those, but I think I want to. I'll also need those if ever these two services went down forever. I own those games, I'm playing them! That's what I'm saying.

Well, Steam is largely based around multiplayer games. I don't know about you, but I can't stand playing with Counter-Strike bots, even set on Expert, after having played against humans for so long. There is no comparison. Still, when I was without internets for a few months after moving, I WAS able to play some offline Steam games. The trick is to make sure you are fully updated right BEFORE disconnecting it. As long as it doesn't try to search for updates, you can run it in offline mode.

However, I did find it kind of odd that when it told me that no internet connection could be found, it directed me to Steam's (online) troubleshooting page O_o.

Yeah that'll work, but does that mean I have to keep my laptop powered on the whole time?

Steam these days has vastly expanded the games you can get from their service, which I am all for. Dreamfall and Psychonauts come to mind (two games I've obtained the non-steam way). Fortunatly, their online play is free so I don't even have to pay those fees.

With Steam and now Gametap, the day shall soon come when loads of old PC games will once again be actuall obtainable. Maybe I'll yet get one of those Icewind Dale games.