Tendo City
At World's End - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: At World's End (/showthread.php?tid=4396)

At World's End - Dark Jaguar - 27th May 2007

The final episode of a piraty epic, this movie is kick-awesome. I won't say much except for those that worry it focused too much on "wacky Jack" as in Dead Man's Chest, that's not the case. It is about 3 hours long though so go to the bathroom before you watch it. Or don't, but don't expect any mercy from an angry sea that gave ya fair warning.

Also pirates aren't big on accurate descriptions. Apparently ANYONE can become the king of the pirates, not just 50% of the population.

At World's End - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2007

I'm convinced that a lot of reviewers accidentally watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas rather than Pirates 3 and didn't notice that the two movies are completely different because of the fact that both star Johnny Depp. Hard to follow? Confusing? Please.

By the way, the scene with Jack in Davy Jones' Locker was pure awesome. Also, I can't believe some of the things that they let this movie get away with. Good stuff all around really.

Quote:but it wasn't anything too over the top.

Not even Lord Beckett's last stroll aboard the Endeavor?

Now that was... cinematic... Aye it does push credulity at that.

However I meant in the sense of content not appropriate for the youngins.

I wasn't necessarily talking about violence, sex, or language, you know.

Well what did you mean by "things they got away with" unless there's some authority they need to get away with it from?

Well, it's a big-budgest DISNEY movie meant to appease the masses, and not neccesarily be intelligent, creative, or inventive.

PotC 3 had a lot of the latter two in the two scenes that I mentioned, and apparently the movie as a whole had more intelligence than the average critics could stand since they didn't seem to understand one bit what was going on.

So you mean get away with that with the marketting department?

Anyway, were critics really not able to understand it? Seriously? I mean, it wasn't exactly that complicated. Sure there was a lot going on but it was still pretty straight forward so long as you were actually paying attention. A lot went on in the Lord of the Rings movies too. That's not a bad thing. I think all this really says is how useless critics really are. Justify your existance, Ebert!

http://pirates-of-the-caribbean-iii.ytmnd.com/

Quote:So you mean get away with that with the marketting department?

Yeah, it really seemed like Gore Verbinski just did what he wanted and nobody said otherwise.

Quote:Anyway, were critics really not able to understand it? Seriously?

Seriously. Most of the negative reviews said that it was confusing and hard to follow.

At World's End - N-Man - 27th May 2007

Great Rumbler Wrote:Seriously. Most of the negative reviews said that it was confusing and hard to follow.

And it was - overly convoluted and hard to follow. You've really got to be kidding me when you say it has "too much intelligence for the average critic". It's a dumb, fun movie, like the others, and it's hard to follow because it's badly made, not because it's complicated. It has way too many plotlines pulling in all kinds of directions, leaving none of them to be resolved in a satisfactory manner. I don't even really know where to start, so I'll go over it quickly from the beginning.

Sao Feng kinda sucked. His delivery was too dramatic for a serious movie, and not dramatic enough for an over-the-top bombastic movie. The Singapore episode as a whole was cool, but inconclusive, like basically all the other plotlines of the movie (leaving us with a bunch of Chinamen hanging around for the rest of the film for no good reason). It felt a bit like an exercise in atmosphere and decor, which the ensuing voyage to save Jack Sparrow could have used lots more of. The trip seemed kind of trivial and un-epic, could have used lots more meat. Davy Jones' Locker is NOT a white rocky desert. Whathafuck.

The "Calypso" plotline is the movie's big joke. An unfortunately necessary escalation from the first movie's skeleton pirates and the second movie's sea horrors, it culminates in the groan-worthy ritual scene and doesn't really ever conclude or lead to anything interesting. It is made particularly uninteresting by the fact that Davy Jones' own presence throughout the movie is generally superfluous, as he basically spends his screentime ruining his own character with a pale imitation of the Darth Vader/Emperor relationship, making his appearance in the final battle about as impressive and frightening as a cute baby puppy. The boss of the East India Company is, by the way, nowhere near as interesting or menacing as the Emperor, and I am unimpressed by the fact that his sole character development seems to be "oh he's drinking tea all the time, what a jerk".

I don't really care about the romantic subplot between Prettyboy and Princess Keira Knightley, but even if I did, there wouldn't be much to say about it. The ambiguity created at the end of POTC2 is pretty much left unexplored - yes, I know they explain it away afterwards by saying something like "well I could just TELL you, duh" and no, I don't think that makes it alright.

I liked the other movies because they were straightforward steal-the-boat get-the-chick kill-the-floozy flicks. This one just tries too hard, all the time. I dug the coo-coo Jack Sparrow scenes, the crazy stuff like the wedding scene and the cool Brethren of the Coast characters (though I wish they would have done something... anything), but it just doesn't add up to a positive for me.

I sense a difference of opinion. I didn't find it hard to follow at all, but I'm used to much more complicated stories... in my video games in fact.

At World's End - Great Rumbler - 28th May 2007

Everyone had their own agenda, yes, but it was far from confusing or hard to follow.

At World's End - A Black Falcon - 28th May 2007

I definitely want to watch this, since I saw the first two in theaters... of course, I also saw the first two Spiderman movies in theaters and then didn't see the third one this summer in theaters, and saw the first two Shrek films in the theaters and haven't seen Shrek 3 either... still, hopefully I'll get to this one. The second one wasn't nearly as good as the first, but it was still more than good enough for me to want to watch the last part...

At World's End - etoven - 28th May 2007

That movie was so bad ass..
I shure I had some manner of orgasm erupt out of my ass half way threw.. I was that good!