Tendo City
The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! (/showthread.php?tid=4391)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2008

Why? You must visit every site on the net to see every interesting thing?

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 24th February 2008

I don't understand that.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2008

You're bringing something to a new audience which as likely as not hasn't seen it before. How is this bad?

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 24th February 2008

I guess... in the same way showing the exact same show on a different channel on TV would be...

Don't flavor it like it's some grand gesture of good will though. It's just someone posting an entire other web site as though it's a youtube thing.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - lazyfatbum - 25th February 2008

Kinda like ppl will credit youtube for it and not the original, I know what you mean. But good God its snoop dogg mixed with Wispy Woods, who cares where it came from! It's evil/great!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2008

True.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2008

Quote:I guess... in the same way showing the exact same show on a different channel on TV would be...

They do that... :D

Quote:Don't flavor it like it's some grand gesture of good will though. It's just someone posting an entire other web site as though it's a youtube thing.

Well yeah, that's why I said that when posting something which you know the source of you should say what that source is.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 7th March 2008

Is tomorrow at midnight!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Great Rumbler - 7th March 2008

And now we make party!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - DMiller - 7th March 2008

Goal 1: Unlock Ness.
Goal 2: Don't sleep for 24 hours.
Goal 3: Work while thinking of Brawl.
Goal 4: Quit job, play Brawl.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 7th March 2008

We've had the mother of all blizzards move into our area today, and it's going to be nearly non-stop snow until Monday. I'm going to have to EARN my Brawl.

I've put a lot of thought into my first battle, and I think I've figured it out. I'm going to play as King Dedede on Smashville, against whoever the randomizer picks for my three opponents. I'm sure I'll play a ton of versus matches the night I get it, sleep only as much as is absolutely necessary and first thing Sunday, start playing Subspace Emissary.

Monday I have to work, though I'm feeling a nasty stomach bug coming on that I think is going to be at it's worst on Monday, I think for my own safety, and the safety of those around me, I should quarantine myself at home. I'll manage...somehow.

That brings me to our next order of business. Gentlemen. I hereby declare thise week "GET YOUR ASS ON WIFI AND PLAY BRAWL WITH FELLOW TENDITES week"! I'm not certain if Brawl will have Friend Codes seperate from the Wii Codes, but either way, go to the Wii Codes thread and add everyone, and if necessary, post your Brawl Friend Code, and let the games begin.

I look forward to playing online Brawl against you all, at long last :)

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 8th March 2008

Wait is it coming out Saturday or Sunday?

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - lazyfatbum - 8th March 2008

Hey awesome. Another game for me to avoid until Christmas.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 8th March 2008

Sunday, though a bunch of places are holding midnight launches tonight.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 8th March 2008

If it's coming out at midnight, it's coming out on Sunday.

A BB gun tied to a balloon? Colonel, what's a Canadian gunship doing here?

Teh Brawl es mine! Huzzah!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 9th March 2008

Listen to my story. This may be our last chance.

So I preordered Brawl at a local game store. Many months and two delays ago. Come to realize about a week ago that this particular store is closed on Sundays.

:crap:

So I ask the guy to push my preoder money over to Mario Kart if he doesn't see me on Monday, and thought I'd hit up a midnight lanuch.

:crap:

Over the last 48 hours, no less than 15-18 inches of snow have fallen here and on the entire northeast it seems, and I can't get out of my apartments parking lot. The point is somewhat moot, considering there WERE NO midnight launches here, or at least, none with a copy that a smarter person had preordered.

So here I sit, awaiting morning and the aid of others to excavate my car (the drifts on both sides was meeting the snow on the roof. Looking at it from behind, all there was was a back bumper)

Tomorrow begins my quest. Walmart, BestBuy, Circuit City, hell even Target or KMart if I must to find this most precious of games.

At the very least, I can still redeem my initial preorder tomorrow but...ARGH. What a series of unfortunate events.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - DMiller - 9th March 2008

Tis a sad tale. I'm going to pick up my copy pretty soon, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it at one of the big stores since they usually get plenty of copies of big games.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 9th March 2008

Just so you know, sleep is optional apparently. I've unlocked Falco, ROB, Ganondorf, Ness, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Snake, Lucario, and Marth. I love the single player mode. Not a word is said but that leaves room for the imagination, ruled by <blank>!

ROB is amazing. Without giving away too much, someone apparently watched Short Circuit before writing his part into the story. One of his alternate costumes is even gold plated!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 9th March 2008

Okay now I've got Sonic unlocked.

Oh, you should know that the air dodge no longer functions as a recovery move/third jump. It's just a dodge now. Unlearning that is taking some work...

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 9th March 2008

I too had to learn that the hard way, DJ. I always used air dodge for a little upward movement :(

But still, wow. I'm blown away by this game.

I just now realized that I'm not playing it at the moment and have to go back.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - DMiller - 9th March 2008

I've only been able to play for a few hours, but there is so much to do. So far I've only unlocked Captain Falcon, Ness, Luigi, and Marth and even though I've unlocked Ness I like Lucas a lot better. His PK Thunder can hit multiple times (a move I overuse) and his PK Fire results in a pillar of flame. His PK Freeze is also easy to hit with than Ness' PK Flash as well, although PK Flash is a killer if it ever hits. I'm sure if I checked Ness probably has stronger attacks, but it's nice to have an alternative to him.

What control scheme have you guys been using? I decided to try out the Wiimote with the nunchuk and found it works pretty well. If you turn on the controls for shaking the controller they can be used in place of the C-stick on the GameCube fairly easily.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Sacred Jellybean - 9th March 2008

Lucky bastards. My room mate said he would try to get it in a few days. How high did the demand seem? I was worried about pre-orders backlogging the game for months after its release. Did any of you have trouble acquiring a copy?

I just found out you can store Miis on the remote, so I might buy my own. I'll get the Wii itself after I move out of this place.

Can you store game saves on the remote as well? My game of Mario Galaxy on his Wii has 114 or so stars on it, and it'd be convenient to transfer it over to another Wii.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Sacred Jellybean - 9th March 2008

DMiller Wrote:What control scheme have you guys been using? I decided to try out the Wiimote with the nunchuk and found it works pretty well. If you turn on the controls for shaking the controller they can be used in place of the C-stick on the GameCube fairly easily.

Awesome, I can't wait to carefully explore all the different control options.

I dont believe you can, SJ, but you can save them to an SD card. A 2 gig card should only run you about 15 bucks.

As for controls, good old GC controller for me. Tried the others, don't like them as much. I think all those years of Melee have fixated my mind on the GC controller being the best option :)

And as for demand, when I went up to Best Buy this afternoon, I was greeted by a stack of them sitting on a table. Supply at the big-name stores should not be an issue.

When I played it with my friend, I used the GC controller. It's probably what I'll end up sticking to, but trying out new schemes should still be fun.

I tried out both Wii remote schemes. The Wii scheme without the joystick seemed like a nice option as I wondered how well this game would perform with a d-pad. The results were not exactly great... The nunchuck option is a lot better, but there are some awkward things about it that make doing things like throwing away an item or grabbing more difficult than it should be. Gamecube is better than those. I did get myself a classic controller and I've been messing around with that. That actually works just as good as the Gamecube controls, and I like the button placement (much easier to grab using Z for example, though often enough I use the shield+attack grab). Plus, the d-pad is better though that only matters for taunting :D. Anyway, I may switch back to the Gamecube controller though because this lacks rumble and I don't like draining the battery in this thing. The classic controller is really well made though, and if they could do a few things to improve it (make it a stand-alone controller, add rumble, maybe add some grips and turn the 4 button layout into 6) I'd call it the perfect old style controller.

I actually modified the default Wii remote + nunchuk scheme so down on the D-pad is a grab. It's pretty easy to reach from the A button. I do agree the default scheme makes it tough to perform grabs.

Has anyone played online yet? Every time I tried I get connection errors after starting a game and I'm wondering if it's my connection.

I am getting a few but that's standard for Nintendo's service. I think upcoming demand from this one game will get Nintendo correcting those issues. The big problem I have is just not being able to find anyone to match with.

Oh yes, I unlocked Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link. Also, the game tells me that's all the characters, so yay at that. I was actually playing around with other modes and exploring more of the story mode now that I've finished it. The only thing worse than the embodiments of creation and destruction is the embodiment of the taboo locked away in subspace. Lazy's going to have a field day with this...

I'm going to see what else is hidden in story mode and do more events. Eventually I might actually play classic mode more than once. Oh yes... I'll eventually have this game split wide open just like Melee (beating Classic and Adventure mode in that game on very hard using one life is... tough... but the game rewards you by acknowledging that specific achievement so I didsd it). It's interesting that now instead of just having two of the same Link (Ocarina of Time) now we have two different Links (Twilight Princess and Wind Waker). I suppose they had to do it to make sense what with there being a story mode.

Nitpicks: The Ice Climbers in Melee had a special trick where some of the costumes made you control the girl instead of the boy. That's no longer the case. Also, there doesn't appear to be any option to switch the game's language to Japanese. I enjoyed the switched voices now and again, and actually liked "Purin" vastly more than "Jigglypuff". I figure that with all the stuff on this disk (movie files and soundtracks), even it being a double layered 8 gig monster wasn't enough to store two languages for a number of characters. Eh, oh well.

Bugs: I've yet to see any bugs so far except that for the first time my Wii got a disk read error. It failed to read the disk properly earlier today. Fortunatly right now it is working flawlessly but apparently there are a lot of reports of similar issues, and Nintendo is saying the issue is basically a dirty laser lense not able to switch focus on the duel layer media. Huh...

Oh! I thought I'd add something. While the air dodge no longer gives an aerial boost, it does at least still maintain whatever inertia your character had when you do it, so it can still allow you to "coast" through certain attacks. I'm sure EM already figured it out but I still thought I'd add that here.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - etoven - 9th March 2008

Suggestion......

You should be able to do StarFox's hot girl friend in story mode.
With twice the jungle fever.

[Image: star_fox_assault_krystal_20041227.jpg]

Erm

Moving right along...

I brawled with Dmiller tonight! He only used Lucas, and freaking owned with him. There was a slight hint of lag, but not enough to interfere with the game. A good time was had by all.

Highlight: I was actually fighting some one-on-ones with another friend when Derek jumped in, and on one stage of Shadow Moses, he obtained and DROPPED the Smash Ball twice, and the other person ended up getting it :D

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - DMiller - 10th March 2008

Yes, thanks for saying I owned and then pointing out the smash ball drop. I do believe I still won that match, though. :) If I would have switched characters it would have been a different story since I haven't played with too many others yet, but since I don't have as much time for videogames as I used to my goal is to get good with one character in fighting games, and Lucas is that character in Brawl.

I still have a lot to unlock, but there's plenty of time to do that. The kids in my school can teach themselves, right?

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 10th March 2008

I must say I really don't like how hard it is to switch forms with Samus. The game allows you to switch without using a smash ball, and allows you to start a match in Zero Suit form, but neither is nearly as easy to do as Zelda/Sheik. You have to input up/down/up at some ridiculous speed. I've only managed to do it once... Really if they are capable of patching the game online this is the one thing I hope they fix (how about just one taunt button doing the job?).

Oh ABF, Zelda/Sheik is mostly unchanged but one major change is how long it takes to switch forms. There's a delay now and unlike on TV the enemy can use the magical transformation time to attack you. In other words you'll need to be more careful now. I guess the ability to change forms and gain so many moves was considered overpowering as it was before.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - A Black Falcon - 10th March 2008

Quote:Oh ABF, Zelda/Sheik is mostly unchanged but one major change is how long it takes to switch forms. There's a delay now and unlike on TV the enemy can use the magical transformation time to attack you. In other words you'll need to be more careful now. I guess the ability to change forms and gain so many moves was considered overpowering as it was before.

Meh, I usually just stayed in one form or the other anyway...

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 10th March 2008

I've noticed a slight delay when growing/shrinking as well. Grabbed a Super Mushroom only to be pummeled by my enemy as I did my little "DUDE, I'M HUGE" hand motions.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Great Rumbler - 10th March 2008

Get online, you guys!!!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - EdenMaster - 10th March 2008

I AM! Join mah game!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Great Rumbler - 10th March 2008

I'm trying!!

Made a new room, try now!

Ah forget it. It just keeps disconnecting me.

Just make a new room, dude!

OK, OK, I'll try it one more time.

I ARE WINRAR!

GET ON MSN, MAN!

Well...that was fun, I guess.

Also, I don't have MSN on my new computer!

Bah, see what I mean? I dont have a good conneciton tonight.

I don't think anyone has a good connection.

I go through all the trouble of downloading and installing MSN and you're not on there?!

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Sacred Jellybean - 10th March 2008

Aw, man. My room mate called me at work today and asked that if I got home by 8 or so, would I drive him to Best Buy for a copy (they close at nine)? I had to put in extra hours, though, so I couldn't get it tonight. Hopefully, tomorrow night.

Otherwise, I'd be in with you ASAP. Of course, the last post was an hour ago, but still. I'd be up on this, damn it.

The Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread - See you in March!! - Dark Jaguar - 10th March 2008

I keep trying to get in random matches and can't seem to connect at all. However, I can spectate random matches just fine. What gives?