Tendo City
And ABF enters the 21st century - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: And ABF enters the 21st century (/showthread.php?tid=4304)

Pages: 1 2

And ABF enters the 21st century - A Black Falcon - 13th April 2007

Quote:The fact is, I have a number of old game disks I've played off and on ever since I got them that are in perfect condition.

Yes, and as I said, the same is true for me. Most of my PC game CDs still work fine, no matter how old they are. Of the ones that don't, not counting discs that I GOT nonfunctional (yes, that happened to me, not once but twice) one was destroyed by a CD drive years ago (BGI disc 2), four are those Blizzard discs (BW, TFT, SC, Diablo II play disc)... a few others have some scratch issues too, I think, but the Blizzard RTS discs are almost certainly the worst (other than that poor Baldur's Gate disc, of course). How can you deny that use has something to do with it when three of the most-used discs are among the most scratched? Are you seriously saying that it's just a coincidence? That's silly...

And ABF enters the 21st century - Dark Jaguar - 13th April 2007

Yes, I am seriously saying it's just a coincidence. In any large number (the total population of the US), there are bound to be some notable anomalies. That said, of course the more times you take the game out the more chances there are that you'll scratch it, but seriously, as I said, in a properly functioning drive (and I keep saying that because of course maybe your drive is screwed up somehow), just reading from the disk isn't going to "wear it out", because nothing is wearing AGAINST it.

And ABF enters the 21st century - A Black Falcon - 13th April 2007

Quote:Yes, I am seriously saying it's just a coincidence. In any large number (the total population of the US), there are bound to be some notable anomalies. That said, of course the more times you take the game out the more chances there are that you'll scratch it, but seriously, as I said, in a properly functioning drive (and I keep saying that because of course maybe your drive is screwed up somehow), just reading from the disk isn't going to "wear it out", because nothing is wearing AGAINST it.

I've used that Brood War disc on like four or more different computers over the years, not just one... but really, you're not helping yourself here. Using a disc means taking it out of the case, putting it in the drive, taking it out again, repeating it many times... the cases of more used games get used hard too, not just the disc; TFT's case has almost all of the pins that hold down the CD broken off, BW's case lost its hinges years ago, etc... I was never saying "it is the act of the disc spinning alone that does all of the damage".

And ABF enters the 21st century - A Black Falcon - 16th April 2007

TheBiggah Wrote:War3 sometime?

Don't have the original War3 CD here so I couldn't install that on my new PC yet, but I did install War2 BNE and SC/BW and could play WC3 on the old PC I guess... :)

And ABF enters the 21st century - TheBiggah - 21st April 2007

Where is your War3 CD? When you install it on your new comp, it will look like a brand new game because the graphics are so much better.

I'm up for any Blizz game, you know that. I'll be on tonight.

-TheBiggah-

And ABF enters the 21st century - A Black Falcon - 21st April 2007

It's at home. I'm not for several more weeks. :)

As I said I did install WCIIBNE and SC/BW, though, and there is one thing I can try for WC3, though I'm not sure if it'll work...

Quote:Where is your War3 CD? When you install it on your new comp, it will look like a brand new game because the graphics are so much better.

I think my old computer did a fine job with WC3. I think really the only real impact will hopefully be less lag in some of the games (online) where it sometimes got crushingly bad... "one frame every ten seconds" or worse... there was even a couple of times when the game crashed because of the load... yes, in those situations I think this will help. But graphics? I guess maybe I could try higher resolutions, maybe, but that's about it I'd think...

And ABF enters the 21st century - Dark Jaguar - 21st April 2007

Yes, crank the resomolutions to the max the games will support. You can handle it all, and the interface usually scales to match pretty well so you don't have to watch it become vanishingly small.

And ABF enters the 21st century - A Black Falcon - 21st April 2007

Yeah, it's at the point when the interface starts shrinking below what I consider to be acceptable levels that I stop increasing the resolution. I don't like really small interfaces.