Tendo City
Resident Evil Thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Resident Evil Thread (/showthread.php?tid=429)

Pages: 1 2

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 16th March 2003

I've only gotten into Resident Evil a month ago, when I bought the REI remake...and christ, I think it's my favorite GC game! Does anyone else here have it ? The story, emotion and graphics are so deep; I've been playing it for hours daily for weeks now, and last night I played it for five hours until 4:00 am this morning, and I'm still on disc one! I haven't been this into a game since OoT!

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 16th March 2003

After playing the far superior Eternal Darkness I just can't go back to RE. Would analogue controls be that difficult to implement? I mean really.

Resident Evil Thread - The Former DMiller - 16th March 2003

I agree that ED is better, but I loved Resident Evil. The only one I had played before Remake was RE2 for N64 and I was underwhelemed, but I had so much fun playing Remake. The problems are greatly overexaggerated. It's almost like the "problems" with Metroid Prime's controls. It's something against the grain so a lot of people have trouble adjusting to it. I was on the bandwagon and hating the controls at first, but I just loved them after about 1/2 hour of playing the game. The graphics are just incredible and I think that's what made me enjoy this game more than RE2. I would have bought the ports of RE2 and RE3 if Capcom had made them $20 or less. $40 is way too much for a straight port for me.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 16th March 2003

Capcom should've remade RE2 and 3 for the GC too on the level that they've done it for one...then they'd be unstoppable. Has anyone played RE Zero...? Looks good; prequel to RE1, but I'd like an opinion first.

Jill Valentines the hottest videogame character ever.

Resident Evil Thread - Dark Jaguar - 16th March 2003

No way man! The hottest ever has to be Ifrit! He's MADE of fire man!

ED better? They don't seem to be quite in the same catagory. The "survival" part of survival horror was totally divorced from the equation. You have infinite health and so long as you have a cutting weapon you are UNSTOPPABLE (really, I almost never used guns, which is why that one reloading sanity effect is something I didn't see until like my 3rd time through). The whole point of RE is that you have to actually survive, requiring thinking and rationing of EVERYTHING, including number of saves. You couldn't just run around in circles and heal yourself whenever you wanted to. ED was essentially just a standard adventure with some fighting. Surviving wasn't really a problem.

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 16th March 2003

I've been playing the RE games for a long time so I'm just fed up with the controls. They didn't even add analogue aiming with these recent ones. Capcom sure does have a knack for remaking the same game over and over.

Resident Evil Thread - Nintendarse - 17th March 2003

When I got REmake in April last year, I was totally into it. It was my first Resident Evil game, and I was willing to adjust to the C controls to experience it. I could never really get into the other control schemes. That's what really turned me away from Resident Evil 0. Not only did the team not take the time to add analog controls, they took out the best alternative (IMO, of course). I decided to make a personal statement with my wallet and not buy the game, or any game in the series, until Capcom properly brings the game into the 21st century.

Resident Evil Thread - Weltall - 17th March 2003

I got it, but I could not get into the game, because the GC controller, to me, was just not made for this type of game. I could never play RE with an analog controller, and the D-pad is laughably tiny and out of the way to boot.

When I ever decide to track down one of those GC to PS2 controller adapters, I'll resume both RE1 and 0.

Besides, Silent Hill is much better anyway!

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 17th March 2003

I couldn't use the default controls, so I went to setup C...I fell right into it, and haven't looked back since. I have NO trouble with the controls now...all you do is hold R to tun, and point the stick in your direction. Whats so hard about that.

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 17th March 2003

They were bad when the game first came out and they're bad now. Why can't Capcom add analogue controls? ED showed how that type of game should be controlled. The game content is supposed to be scary, not the controls.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 17th March 2003

I still believe that the analog support for REmake is acceptable. I've had absolutely no trouble adapting to it, and as I mentioned, I'm new to that genre. I've played virtually no pre-rendered console games ever.

Resident Evil Thread - EdenMaster - 17th March 2003

The big hooplah over the control scheme of Resident Evil is way overblown. The controls are a bit awkward to begin with, but in time, you adapt and you find the controls suit the game well. I eventually adapted, and enjoyed the game immensely.

As for the whole REmake vs ED, then I'm going to have to go with Resident Evil. Both are great games with their own strengths and shortcomings, both are games worth buying a GamEcube to play, just like Metroid Prime and the upcoming Wind Waker (SO CLOSE!)

Anyone who knows me knows that I think graphics are the least important aspect of a game, yet I bend the rules for Resident Evil. It's dark, dreary atmosphere fits the game well, and it gives you a feeling of tension, knowing that somethings about to come out and make you jump right out of your seat. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about, we all did it. As far as storyline goes, Eternal Darkness wins hands-down, not just in this debate, either. ED has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a video game.

There are many factors to consider, but I think Resident Evil wins over Eternal Darkness, but it's close. Both games should be high up on the list of everyones collction, and neither deserves to be missed out on, by anyone.

There is absolutely nothing new to REmake. It's just RE for the PSX with updated graphics. Same shit puzzles, same shit controls.

Resident Evil Thread - big guy - 17th March 2003

anyone who says there's nothing new to the game has either never played the original, or never played remake.

I've played every single RE game and the changes in REmake are minimal. Silent Hill showed how RE should be done several years ago but Capcom still chose to use the same archaic gameplay from the original.

Resident Evil Thread - Private Hudson - 17th March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
I've played every single RE game and the changes in REmake are minimal.

Which is quite a bit different from:

Quote:There is absolutely nothing new to REmake. It's just RE for the PSX with updated graphics. Same shit puzzles, same shit controls.

And the new added areas were great. "Minimal" really isn't that accurate. I was always finding new stuff. And the original is one of my all-time favorite games.

And the controls are perfect, I hope they never change them. But I think with RE4, they will :(

Quote: The whole point of RE is that you have to actually survive, requiring thinking and rationing of EVERYTHING, including number of saves.

That was true of the original game on PSX. But REmake, RE2, RE3 and RE:CV (haven't played RE0) are all just non-stop action fests, with no rationing of ammo, health or saves needed. They gave you too much, and the games were far too easy :(

It's called hyperbole, Hudson.

Resident Evil Thread - Private Hudson - 17th March 2003

Hyperbole is one thing... you went into specifics! Thus negating your possible hyperbolicism, and makig it seem like you were stating it as a fact!

That's not true. You are the biggest liar on the face of the planet.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 18th March 2003

Absolutely nothing new? I've never played the original RE, but I've read from several accredited resources about the new areas...and I believe them. At any rate, I HAVE SEEN screens of the original RE, and I was awe-struck at them. There can be no comparison between the two.

Same shit puzzles, same shit controls. I also happen to know that several puzzles have been redesigned; including the one in the art gallery. Though it's still ridicuously easy, alleged, the older one was even worse.

...all just non-stop action fests, with no rationing of ammo, health or saves needed. They gave you too much...

Way too much...? Doom gave you way too much. In RE, with the exception of conventional 9mm ammo later in the game, the rest of it is a masterful struggle... I have 80 9mm rounds, 6 magnum ones, 6 shotgun and 6 conventional grenade ones...as well as 2 battery packs and 4 or 5 daggers. As for saves, they MUST be rationed... but im not sure that's really a good thing.

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 18th March 2003

Quote:Absolutely nothing new? I've never played the original RE, but I've read from several accredited resources about the new areas...and I believe them. At any rate, I HAVE SEEN screens of the original RE, and I was awe-struck at them. There can be no comparison between the two.

Oy, it was a slight exaggeration. And yes of course the graphics are better, but it's still pre-rendered crap. Good thing Capcom finally learned that real-time is better and are fixing it with RE4.

Quote:Same shit puzzles, same shit controls. I also happen to know that several puzzles have been redesigned; including the one in the art gallery. Though it's still ridicuously easy, alleged, the older one was even worse.

Well of course the puzzles aren't identical to each other. I meant that there are the same kinds of puzzles. Find the stupid clover-shaped crest for the stupid clover-shaped hole. Reminds me of a certain PA strip:

[Image: 20020503l.gif]

Quote:...all just non-stop action fests, with no rationing of ammo, health or saves needed. They gave you too much...

Way too much...? Doom gave you way too much. In RE, with the exception of conventional 9mm ammo later in the game, the rest of it is a masterful struggle... I have 80 9mm rounds, 6 magnum ones, 6 shotgun and 6 conventional grenade ones...as well as 2 battery packs and 4 or 5 daggers. As for saves, they MUST be rationed... but im not sure that's really a good thing.

Um... Doom isn't a survival-horrow game. Well Doom 3 is, but you weren't talking about that now were you?

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 18th March 2003

Um... Doom isn't a survival-horrow game. Well Doom 3 is, but you weren't talking about that now were you?

I know Doom isn't a survival-horror game. I was merealy showing the staunch comparison...Doom makes it so you almsot always have full ammo. RE does not. I thought I made that quite a clear comparison.

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 18th March 2003

Yes... they're two completely different kinds of games...

Resident Evil Thread - Private Hudson - 18th March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
[B]Um... Doom isn't a survival-horrow game. Well Doom 3 is, but you weren't talking about that now were you?

I know Doom isn't a survival-horror game. I was merealy showing the staunch comparison...Doom makes it so you almsot always have full ammo. RE does not. I thought I made that quite a clear comparison. [/B]

I finished REmake with Chris on Mountain Climbing my first time through with 30 Pistol bullets, 40 Shotgun shells, 6 first-aid sprays, 3 Red-Green herb combinations, 18 ink ribbons and never ONCE using my Magnum.

Yah, that's a masterful struggle. Rolleyes

Resident Evil Thread - big guy - 18th March 2003

hahahahaha, that penny arcade is hilarious. that was always one of my favs.

anyway, i really liked REmake, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Resident Evil Thread - EdenMaster - 19th March 2003

Yes, everyones entitled to their own, unique opinion...expect OB1 :D. He's different, more like "special".

Chuckle

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 19th March 2003

What was that a reply to?

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 19th March 2003

Wow, Hudson...that does attest to something...besides an enormous waste of time.

Quote:Originally posted by big guy
hahahahaha, that penny arcade is hilarious. that was always one of my favs.

anyway, i really liked REmake, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I was agreeing with big guys post directly above mine.

I already said that it's fine to like REmake more than anything else, but that it's a much more flawed game.

I don't like REmake "better than anything else", I just prefer it over Eternal Darkness. I still say Melee beats everything in my collection (the first game I bought, and still the one I play most often).

How is it "flawed", exactly? It doesn't have any glaring flaws as I see it, feel free to enlighten me, though. If you're thinking of ammo being to plentiful, don't. I had to keep tabs on my ammo (except, of course, if I used the infamous rocket launcher cheat).

Uhh... did you miss out on the whole crappy controls discussion?

Did you miss out on the whole you get used to them rebuttal? As many people that said the controls were bad, a similar number said they're fine with them. I'm the latter, you're the former. It's your opinion, and it's hardly a flaw.

Resident Evil Thread - Sacred Jellybean - 19th March 2003

Just to throw in another opinion, I thought the controls were adjustable as well. They became second-hand within a half-hour of the first time I played, then stuck every consecutive time I played after (within a day, since I'd rented the game).

Although I thought the clumsy feel of the controls still returned during times of panic. When you grow on 3D games playing Mario 64 and the like, it becomes instinctual to use them in times of panic, as you aren't thinking clearly. This was my only real qualm, though I thought that in a way, it enhanced the gameplay. Although it's frustrating to sometimes lose the hang of the controls, it adds to the thrill of the game's survival horror theme.

Resident Evil Thread - Private Hudson - 19th March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
Wow, Hudson...that does attest to something...besides an enormous waste of time.

I was merely pointing out the the series became far more commerical, trying to sell to casuals by making it more action oriented, by giving you more weapons/ammunition.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 20th March 2003

I finally beat REMake, last night, at 7:43 pm! I must say; I though t that there'd be more on the second CD...the entire lab part of the game took not even an hour and a half! The end boss was blissfully easy, too; I went through the end of the game in one go...and to counter OB1 further, I was down to using my 9mm to cap him until Brad dropped the rocket launcher. I was so relieved to have beaten it...my secret shame is that I've had my GameCube since a few days after a lunch, but I've never beaten a single game until now. ...REMake was a surprisingly short game (10.5 hours...?) but defintiely among the most enthralling and fascinating, too. The story sucked me right in, like a movie. Kudos to Capcom!

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 20th March 2003

So... how exactly does that counter anything that I said?

Resident Evil Thread - EdenMaster - 20th March 2003

Fret not, Darunia, for thou art not alone. Of course, I've beaten games, but there are just as many incomplete ones on my shelf. I've beaten Pikmin, Luigis Mansion, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Cubivore, Medal of Honor: Frontline. Still waiting to be conquered are Resident Evil 0, Metroid Prime (is flogged by OB1), Mario Sunshine (is flogged by lazyfatbum (use your imagination)), and StarFox Adventures. All the rest are games that cannot be "beaten" per se, like Super Smash Bros. Melee (but I do happen to be GOD at Melee), Super Monkey Ball, Animal Crossing, Mario Party 4, GOD DAMM, and Wave Race.

Sodomy ensues.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 21st March 2003

Thanks, EM, that really is a comfort.

OB1, what makes you think I started this RE thread just to argue with you...?

Resident Evil Thread - OB1 - 21st March 2003

You still didn't anwer my question in the debate forum.

Why the hell would I counter anything from the debate forum in a Resident Evil thread in Ramble City! I used to respect you as being a smart poster, since I've really returned here lately, all you've done is negate me in every thread, and without any evidence.

Hey buddy, when you put down Metroid and Star Wars, you're asking for it.

So what are you waiting for? Go to the debate forum and try to figure out which threepio is real! You said he looked like a cartoon so it shouldn't be difficult.

Heaven forbid I should have an opinion that differs from OB1's.

Resident Evil Thread - WhiteFleck - 21st March 2003

He's been fairly aggressive lately. I think it may just be a phase.

Unlike a few other wimpy people here, I actually try to back my opinions. And while I often disagree with ABF, at least he has the courage to defend his views. I respect that.

Resident Evil Thread - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2003

While OB1 here goes way too far in defense of his obviously always 100% correct opinions, it is true that when you back down so much it does get annoying... if you're not going to bother backing up your opinions with more words why bother in the first place?

Oh, and as for Cube games, i have 10 games, have have sort of beaten 5... I've 'beaten' Extreme-G 3, Eternal Darkness (once, and got halfway through the second time through), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (with nowhere NEAR all the A awards or trophy things), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (on Normal difficulty... I haven't finished The Gauntlet yet...), and Rogue Leader (with 2 hidden levels unlocked)... and haven't finished Metroid Prime (I got the Varia suit yesterday, in my first real significiant play of the game since late January...), Mario Sunshine (I have a few shines, but not many...),, Wave Race Blue Storm (on the last difficulty level (Pro or something?), but its HARD!), Smash Bros. Melee (it got boring and frusterating in single player after not that long...),and Burnout (HARD.)

Yeah it's good when people defend their opinions, even when they're always wrong (like ABF).

:shake:

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
While OB1 here goes way too far in defense of his obviously always 100% correct opinions, it is true that when you back down so much it does get annoying... if you're not going to bother backing up your opinions with more words why bother in the first place?

Oh, and as for Cube games, i have 10 games, have have sort of beaten 5... I've 'beaten' Extreme-G 3, Eternal Darkness (once, and got halfway through the second time through), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (with nowhere NEAR all the A awards or trophy things), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (on Normal difficulty... I haven't finished The Gauntlet yet...), and Rogue Leader (with 2 hidden levels unlocked)... and haven't finished Metroid Prime (I got the Varia suit yesterday, in my first real significiant play of the game since late January...), Mario Sunshine (I have a few shines, but not many...),, Wave Race Blue Storm (on the last difficulty level (Pro or something?), but its HARD!), Smash Bros. Melee (it got boring and frusterating in single player after not that long...),and Burnout (HARD.)

Did you know that when you beat everything with an A award in Sonic Adv 2 that you get a 3D recreation of the first Sonic level from Sonic 1? It's really cool. I d/l'ed a save file for the Dreamcast version. There's no way I'd play through the entire game with all of those crappy non-Sonic and Shadow levels.

Resident Evil Thread - Darunia - 22nd March 2003

What the hell did I back down from? This is a Resident Evil thread he turned into a Darunia-bashing thread. There was no competition or debate in here. If he's referring to the Pledge of Allegiance thread that was warped into a religious debate one, I CAN ONLY POST WHEN IM AT A COMPUTER! Likewise to your Star Wars thread.

Resident Evil Thread - EdenMaster - 22nd March 2003

Frustrated with Melee, ABF? You just need practice. I've only two trophies left to acquire before I can saw I have truly conquered that game, and I still play regularly.