Tendo City
Not bad... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Not bad... (/showthread.php?tid=4257)

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 5th March 2007

More cheap games that I'll never get around to playing in full? At these prices, sure!

For $10.50, I got these...

(the Genesis games are cart only and the PSX ones CD only, no original cases or manuals, helping to explain the price)
PSX
Dino Crisis
Silent Hill
Mega Man X6
TigerShark

Genesis
Gauntlet IV
Beyond Oasis

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2007

Enjoy Silent Hill. The skinless terradactyls are going to tear you up right for a while before you get the hang of dodging them.

I just now started playing MMX6 myself (though I've had it for a long time).

Not bad... - Great Rumbler - 5th March 2007

Silent Hill's graphics has not aged well. :(

That is true for a lot of games on the PS1...

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2007

On the bright side, today I found a way to hack my TV to fix overscanning. I never knew so many TVs from like mid 90's on had custom hidden "service menu" options accessible with special codes. Well, I guess they have to service these things some way. Welcome back Street Fighter health bars!

Impressions no one asked for on the ones I've played:

Gauntlet IV: Awesome! As you may or may not remember I was a big fan of Gauntlet Legends (N64) and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (GC) and while Gauntlet Arcade (arcade, Midway Arcade Treasures) was good, I prefer something with structure that you can actually complete, not an infinite game like that. This is that game... classic Gauntlet, but with a quest mode structure that clearly was an influence in the development of Gauntlet Legends, and new features. Inventory (some items can be disabled, a few like invisibility just activate), four themed areas to go through, special tiles and stuff, a four player mode, saving, some awesome music... great stuff! I think I like it more than Dungeon Explorer for the Sega CD, though that has some good points too.

There is a bad side, of course. Thirty character password to save your character. Additional ten character password to save your progress in the current tower. Yup... ouch. Still a great game though...

Beyond Oasis: And my luck with Genesis games holds! While some of my battery-backed SNES games have dying batteries and have for some time, all of my battery-backed Genesis games (and the Sega CD system itself) are fine, and this one is no exception. Cool. Looks like a good action-RPG too, with good reviews; haven't gotten into it yet though.

TigerShark -- I've heard of this one before, and it was also released on PC. It would benefit greatly from joystick controls, or even just analog (pre-Dual Shock game), but oh well... fun action/sim flight (er, submarine, close enough) combat game. I like it. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but that's true for any game like this...

The others: I need another PSX memory card.. I have three, but only have two free blocks total. I'll need another one to actually save all four of these games... :)

Not bad... - Weltall - 5th March 2007

Wow, you got Silent Hill in a bundle that cheap?

That game alone is worth twice that.

No, not a bundle, pawnshop (well, they also sell some new stuff, mostly music equipment) that sells loose PSX CDs for $2 each. (used PSX games that have their cases are $4, unless it's something he thinks is more valuable, in which case he sells it on EBay -- so the used PSX game in jewelcase collection is pretty bad. Evidently he doesn't EBay CD-only PSX games...) Genesis games used to be $3 there, but they recently dropped a dollar in price... I bought four PSX games and two Genesis ones so it should have been $12, but I've bought a bunch of stuff there so like often he rounded it down to $10. Plus tax, that makes $10.50.

Quote:That game alone is worth twice that.

Even without the case and manual?

I know I mentioned one time before that I saw another loose CD copy of Silent Hill (PSX) a few months back at another store, but it was in this small plastic CD holder with some other games I didn't care about, and didn't want to pay the $10 or whatever they were charging for the stuff... forget the exact number... I think that that is gone now, or at least the Silent Hill disc is.

Not bad... - Weltall - 5th March 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:Even without the case and manual?
Yup. It's pretty highly sought-after among Silent Hill fans.

Well then, I'm lucky that it was a loose disc and not a complete game that he likely would have EBayed. If I like the game, that is, of course. :)

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2007

Other games I've seen and could get in the next couple of days, but I am undecided on:

Genesis
Combat Cars (decent-looking Acclaim topdown racer)
Universal Soldier (might get this one... it's really Turrican 2...)
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom (I have PSII and PSIV and haven't played them much, and they're supposedly much better than this one, so I don't know if it's worth owning...)

PSX
Rage Racer (any point at all when I have RR64?)
Sheep (I'd rather have it for PC...)
Loaded

SNES
The Great Circus Mystery (Mickey's Magical Quest 2...)
Rival Turf (bland beat 'em up, probably not.)

... what I really need is a PSX memory card, though. :)

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 17th March 2007

So this is the end of "spring" (winter) break, and I've gotten a few more games (in addition to the ones mentioned in my first post)...

Genesis
--
Junction (weird little puzzle game kind of like Pipe Dream, but different)

DS
--
Children of Mana (decent, but not what it could have been, just like I'd heard... oh well, I had to get it anyway...)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (just got today)

N64
--
Aidyn Chronicles (first time I'd seen it used? Supposedly overambitious, buggy, and deeply flawed, but with a decent core somewhere buried these that doesn't stop most people from calling it awful? Eh, for $3, why not...)

Oh yes, and I want to say... Mega Man X6 has some interesting ideas for level designs, but it's SO, SO HARD! Really, it's absolutely ridiculous. While the bosses are moderate difficulty at best, the stages are so insanely difficult that it's absurd...

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 17th March 2007

Oh come on it's not that *ceiling slam* hard... I mean sure some of the- *again with the ceiling* them are kinda tough bu- *rolling avalanche*. IT'S HORRIBLE IN HERE!

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 18th March 2007

Quote:Oh come on it's not that *ceiling slam* hard... I mean sure some of the- *again with the ceiling* them are kinda tough bu- *rolling avalanche*. IT'S HORRIBLE IN HERE!

I managed to beat the intro stage and the easiest level (amazon stage), but that's it...

*celing falls, killing Mega Man*

*celing falls, killing Mega Man*

*Mega Man falls in spike pit, because celing falls on all flat ground so you have to slide along the side of the spike pit, air-dash across, and quickly jump up in the moments between celing falls*

*same thing happens several more times*

*I give up on the stage*

... yeah, it's like that.

Not bad... - Sacred Jellybean - 18th March 2007

Silent Hill may be pixelated, but at least it adds to the game's gritty feel. I don't think the graphics would bother me in the least if I played through it again.

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 18th March 2007

ABF, before you get too frustrated, the final levels are the ones that are actually hard :D.

Thanks, that's a relief...

Let me see... Mega Man games seem to be getting harder with time. Stuff I've played in the series:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection (I've also played the NES versions of a few of these, but not finished them on NES)
Mega Man - completed
Mega Man 2 - completed
Mega Man 3 - completed
Mega Man 4 - completed
Mega Man 5 - completed
Mega Man 6 - completed
Mega Man 7 - got to Wily's Fortress, haven't finished it
Mega Man 8 - got to first stage of Wily's Fortress, gave up because of very high and frusterating difficulty (the stage with the jet-skateboard thing and the spider-ish boss).

GB
Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge - completed
Mega Man II - completed
Mega Man IV - completed

PC
Mega Man 3 (Hi Tech Expressions, not Capcom, not very good) - unfinished - no saving
Mega Man X - got to final Sigma, didn't finish. Got all powerups/items.
Mega Man X4 - completed
Mega Man X5 - got to Black Demon boss, gave up because it's impossible

SNES
Mega Man X - same as PC version.

PSX
Mega Man X6 - just started, I don't see much hope of progress...

GBA
Mega Man & Bass - got only a little while into the game before giving up because of very high difficulty

... and I haven't played the MM Zero/MM ZX games much, but I've heard they're quite hard too...

Well if they can't do originality, they can do HARD. Funny thing is, the series was getting easier at first, then it all turned around with MMX5 or so. That said, MM7's Wily is frickin' hard. Great final battle music to die to.

As I implied there, I found the NES and Game Boy Mega Man games managable, but starting with the SNES, the series began to get more difficult... but yes, there were some games that definitely stood out within that, such as Mega Man & Bass (very hard game!), the Wily Fortress sections of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8, the final levels (Sigma levels?) of Mega Man X5, the whole games of Mega Man X6 and the Mega Man Zero series... just give me some more of Mega Man 5, NES: something fun, with cool bosses, but easy with abundant extra lives that you can beat without much trouble while still having fun. :) Or any of the NES games after the first one, really (the first one is a lot harder since you can't save. That is, unless you're playing MMAC, where you can, so MM1 isn't really any harder than 2-6 anymore)... while there are some tricky spots, it's nothing a few tries won't solve.

Oh, as I said X6 has some good stage ideas, with the acid rain/darkness with only partial lighting stage shows, or the compressor, or the one in the museum, etc, but they just put the difficulty up so high... the last MM game I got that was this hard was MM&B, and I gave up on that one before beating four main levels.

Doesn't dissuade me from wanting Mega Man ZX, though. Though I don't know if that one's as hard as the Zero series was...

ZX is a bit easier than Zero, but not that much. What it does is add some Metroid aspects to the series, which is basically what a lot of platformers are doing to remain relevant. There isn't a single game that is made worse from massive interconnected world map powers, EVER!

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 19th March 2007

I played Mega Man Zero 1 once... after failing to complete the first level a half dozen times, I gave up.

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2007

First level? The intro level? Seriously?

Maybe it was the level after the intro level, I forget... I think it was the first "Robot Master" stage; the game was more linear, I believe, with fewer stages t choose from than most Mega Man games...

So let me review...

Beyond Oasis, actual Genesis cart you play on a Genesis with real Genesis controllers that play Genesis games better than the CC or GC pads ever could (the game supports six buttons, so the sideways Wiimote would not be recommended): $1.75 (cart only, used).

Beyond Oasis, for Wii VC: $8.

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2007

Well, huh... Yeah I'd have to get a classic controller, but I still say a revision is in order.

I only need 3 changes really. Rumble, if it doesn't have it, should be added. It should have wireless built into it instead of having to hook it up to a remote controller. The buttons could use some work. The thing has, from what I've seen, 4 shoulder buttons. However, the "inner two" are really awkwardly placed. Stick those suckers on the face of the controller to get a 6 button layout and you've got it nailed for full support of every single VC system. I've heard that, even though the thing looks SNESish, it's actually pretty comfortable, so I'm not worried about the shape.

Not bad... - Lord Shockwave - 20th March 2007

For curiosity's sake, where are you getting these deals? I'm interested in enhancing my collection, which is already pretty good. Please let me know. Thanks. :)

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 20th March 2007

All of my Genesis and Super Nintendo games come from six stores (a pawnshop, a music store/pawnshop, a locally-owned gaming store, a local store that has records, various movies and books, and some games mostly for older systems) and two branches of a local music-store chain) or the two stands which sell games in the (indoor, year-round) flea market near where I live.

My PSX games come from either those places or Gamestop or EB, since I bought the system before they stopped carrying PSX games.

Games for systems I own while they are actually alive (N64, Gamecube, GB, GBC, GBA, DS) have more sources, of course, as well as those local stores -- gifts, Best Buys, many more from Gamestops and EBs, Kay-Bee Toy Works, Sears, etc. Those, of course, cost more. :)

I've never bought a game over the internet (eBay or anything)... everything I have comes from a store. I used to just have a few places to go, like the mall (EB, Gamestop, Best Buy, maybe Toys R Us) or the Wal-Mart, Sears, and Kay-Bee in town, but then that local gaming store opened up, and I discorvered the games in the flea market in town... and then some stuff happened and I've been in Portland (Maine's biggest city of 65,000) a lot more over the past year, which is where some (three of the six) of those stores in the first list are. Twice as many places to buy old games means a much better selection. :)

For the stuff in the first post of this thread specifically, I found them at the music store/pawnshop in Portland. Genesis games used to be $3 but now are $2, and loose (no case/manual) PSX CDs were $2 also. I'd never looked through the loose PSX discs there before, because they are kept behind the counter, but I did, and found those four to get... he marked it down a bit ($12 to $10 plus tax) because I've bought a bunch of games there.

Junction and Aidyn Chronicles (as well as Advance Wars DS and Children of Mana, but those were full price) come from the local gaming store in town. Genesis games there are really cheap, $1 or $2... not much selection, but they are cheap. N64 stuff is really cheap now too... nothing above $12 or so... except Ogre Battle 64, but I have that already. Some of their SNES stuff is cheap (Sunsetriders for $3? Awesome!) but they do charge more for games that the owner thinks are more valuable, though -- so $20 for Super Metroid, $25 for Super Mario RPG or Final Fantasy II or III (SNES), and more for some rarer PSX stuff. On the other hand, they have a "buy two get one free" policy for used games, so it's not all bad... :)

... on that note, I haven't added most of the stuff in this thread onto my IGN games list yet. I keep that up to date, so I think I'll go do that now...

Prices vary from store to store, but one consistent thing I have noticed is that Genesis games are cheap, no matter how good the game is. Phantasy Star II, with case, manual, and map? $6. Beyond Oasis (cart only)? $2. I haven't paid over that $6 for any Genesis or Sega CD games (though some Sega CD games do sell for a lot more online, I have only seen a few in stores, none of which were valuable.)...for SNES, though, the prices are higher, usually starting at $5 and sometimes going up from there. N64 prices have come down a lot and are now pretty cheap. PSX... the low-end or not as well known stuff is very cheap, but the better known, "rare" games, particularly RPGs and strategy games (and particularly anything from Square or Working Designs...), are still fairly expensive.

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2007

So another semester ended, which means of course more buying cheap random games I find around here. :) And I found some pretty good ones...

PC CD games (jewelcases, some with manuals), for $1 each:
King's Quest Collector's Edition (15th Anniversary) (KQ1-6 with extras) (worth $30-$40 or more on EBay)
Lighthouse: The Dark Being (Sierra adventure game)
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (Sierra adventure game)
Magic Carpet (Bullfrog)
Space Invaders (late '90s remake)
Missile Command (late '90s remake)

Genesis games, $2 each:
Light Crusader (cool game!)
Arcus Odyssey (Gauntlet-ish but different... quite good, and its passwords are a lot shorter than Gauntlet IV's...)
El Viento (fun! Very fun sidescroller...)
Devilish (barely played it so far, somewhat unique Breakout-style game)

Other: (got for $25 total for the three)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES) (I have DKC2 and DKC3 for SNES, why not the first one too...)
Mystical Heroes (NGC) (SD Fantasy Dynasty Warriors, I guess? Never played that series, but it's been compared... you wander around hacking at large groups of baddies, anyway. Fun stuff, I like it.)
The Granstream Saga (PSX) (action-RPG with anime cutscenes... decently fun)

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 18th May 2007

Well you still have that old machine with Windows ME on it right? That's where you'll be sticking the King's Quest collection. Wait, the 1-6 version, without 7? Well, you have 7 anyway and you take what you can get.

I had I (the newer version), V, and VII (both CDs), yeah, so not getting VII again doesn't matter... and from looking it up this one has a lot of the extras on it too:

http://www.sierraplanet.com/curiosities/kingsquest/collections.html (great page...)

As for where to play them, what about DOSBox? You think it would be too slow even on this new computer?

I'm more interested in playing Freddy Pharkas (which sounds great, and funny) and maybe Lighthouse, honestly. KQ1-4 use the old somewhat annoying text-input system (a very simple version of it I know, nowhere NEAR QFG's level of complexity, but still...), V is a pain, VI ... that one I should try. VII? Good game. Only KQ game I've finished. I did need FAQs at points though... :)

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 18th May 2007

It's not speed so much as accuracy. I figure you'll be playing the DOS version of KQ5, and it'll work just fine with the other 4 games (actually 1-3 (old version of 1) will run perfectly in XP without even needing an emulator). I would highly suggest playing the Windows version of 6 though. Not only is it a LOT easier to aim the cursor (the smaller size is just about needed to click on certain on screen items with any accuracy), but the animated "character talk boxes" (I have no good name for those things) are "Super VGA" and look amazing. Captain Saladin looks like Lassi. That alone is worth it. It'll work fine in Windows ME as it's based on 9x, but not in XP without going through some extreme effort, involving some sort of sound system emulator. Actually, you COULD install Windows 3.x under DOSbox and then install KQ6 under that. That might work, depending on how well DOSbox emulates that old OS, and if you have a copy of 3.x lying around somewhere.

Quote:It's not speed so much as accuracy. I figure you'll be playing the DOS version of KQ5, and it'll work just fine with the other 4 games (actually 1-3 (old version of 1) will run perfectly in XP without even needing an emulator). I would highly suggest playing the Windows version of 6 though. Not only is it a LOT easier to aim the cursor (the smaller size is just about needed to click on certain on screen items with any accuracy), but the animated "character talk boxes" (I have no good name for those things) are "Super VGA" and look amazing. Captain Saladin looks like Lassi. That alone is worth it. It'll work fine in Windows ME as it's based on 9x, but not in XP without going through some extreme effort, involving some sort of sound system emulator. Actually, you COULD install Windows 3.x under DOSbox and then install KQ6 under that. That might work, depending on how well DOSbox emulates that old OS, and if you have a copy of 3.x lying around somewhere.

The problem isn't running the programs in Vista's version of DOS emulation, it's that as far as I can tell it won't let you run DOS things fullscreen... either I'm missing something or that option is gone, I don't know which. Anyway, as it is now emulation is the only way, sadly. Now that's why I stuck with that old computer so long... true DOS mode, right there in Windows... :(

Quote:That alone is worth it. It'll work fine in Windows ME as it's based on 9x, but not in XP without going through some extreme effort, involving some sort of sound system emulator.

It doesn't just run native in Windows? KQV's Windows version runs fine even in Vista, as long as you're in 256 color 640x480...

I do remember some games having some issues, but then I think I solved some of those issues with sound drivers from other Sierra adventure games that I have that use the same engine and use other versions of the drivers that worked... I know I made posts about that here sometime...

Not bad... - Great Rumbler - 19th May 2007

All of the King's Quest games should work fine in XP [or whatever OS you're using], if the Space Quest collection is anything to go by.

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2007

That uses DOSBox.

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 19th May 2007

Yeah, we've gone into detail about those collections before. They didn't actually port the games, they just stuck the DOS versions of them all on a disk as well as Dosbox. They also took out a LOT of stuff. They didn't even clean up the bugs in some of the games.

Anyway, KQ6 in Windows has much nicer face animation scenes so playing the DOS version means you really miss out.

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 29th July 2013

A Black Falcon Wrote:Mega Man 8 - got to first stage of Wily's Fortress, gave up because of very high and frusterating difficulty (the stage with the jet-skateboard thing and the spider-ish boss).

I would just like to say that I bought the Saturn version of MM8 last week (I didn't mention it in the "games I bought" thread, did I? Well, I'll add it soon...). It was $50, complete, at a local store; pretty expensive, but less than the thing is costing now on ebay. I was very unsure if it'd actually be worth it, because, well, my memories from '04 of MM8 were not exactly positive overall (STUPID FIRST WILY FORTRESS LEVEL!), but I'd heard the Saturn version was better, so I got it anyway.

Well... I like the game more than I remember liking it before. The graphics still aren't as good as the NES games, and I do sometimes find myself wishing for MMX's wall-grab ability, but overall, the game's fun. I posted this, though, because I just... got past the first level of Wily's Fortress in MM8! In the Saturn version, of course. The game wasn't quite as hard as I remember it; I was probably mostly remembering how hard that level was, and forgetting that the Robot Master stages are only average in challenge. But yeah, I got through all of them over the past days, and today beat level 1 of Wily's Fortress. It was a tough stage, but I got through it in only a couple of continues... not bad at all! The jet-bike stage was tough, and I died at the last jump like six times, but I've played the first jetbike stage several times in the last week, so the second one was doable. As for the boss... he killed me like seven or eight times, minimum, and I did get a game over or two there, but I finally managed to beat that stupid, horrible thing. Why they thought that a boss that you are required to only fight with the games' worst weapon, the mega ball thing, was a good idea I have no idea, but yeah, it's not. That was such a frustrating, unfun boss fight... the jetbike level's actually kind of fun, but that boss? None whatsoever. So yeah, I'm glade that's done. Now on to the rest of Wily's Fortress...

Also, I have indeed not finished any of the games from the first post in this thread. :p

Not bad... - Dark Jaguar - 30th July 2013

It's really fashionable these days to say "Megaman isn't Megaman without 8 bit graphics.". Well, my glasses aren't nearly as rose tinted I suspect, so allow me to say that I actually LIKED the look of Megaman in Mega Man 8. I really don't mind updating the game's graphics to fit the times. According to Keiji Inafune, he didn't go with the 8 bit look for Megamens 9 and 10 out of pure artistic choice, but because Capcom refused to provide adequate funding for Megaman games by that point. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the retro styling of Megaman 9, but when Megaman 10 came along and it used the SAME retro look, it came off as "milking the well dry" to me. Now we know why. Yes, Megaman classic is practically burned into our memories as that old 8 bit sprite, but isn't that because Capcom just refused to create new artwork 6 games in a row? Wasn't that a bad thing at the time?

All I'm saying is we can't forget our old opinions and pretend we never thought those things.

Not bad... - A Black Falcon - 30th July 2013

One thing I forgot to mention is that MM8 has better graphics on Saturn than on Gamecube. I compared them, and the GC collection looks much jaggier -- everything looks much more pixelated and ugly. On Saturn, the picture quality is better. There's a real difference. Also, the Saturn version doesn't have that weird border that the GC collection does, so it's actually fullscreen. Even aside of the other extras (and I did find Wood Man, though not Cut Man yet; I'll have to go find him), the game's more fun with the Saturn controller and these better-looking visuals, I think. :)

Dark Jaguar Wrote:It's really fashionable these days to say "Megaman isn't Megaman without 8 bit graphics.". Well, my glasses aren't nearly as rose tinted I suspect, so allow me to say that I actually LIKED the look of Megaman in Mega Man 8. I really don't mind updating the game's graphics to fit the times. According to Keiji Inafune, he didn't go with the 8 bit look for Megamens 9 and 10 out of pure artistic choice, but because Capcom refused to provide adequate funding for Megaman games by that point. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the retro styling of Megaman 9, but when Megaman 10 came along and it used the SAME retro look, it came off as "milking the well dry" to me. Now we know why. Yes, Megaman classic is practically burned into our memories as that old 8 bit sprite, but isn't that because Capcom just refused to create new artwork 6 games in a row? Wasn't that a bad thing at the time?

All I'm saying is we can't forget our old opinions and pretend we never thought those things.

I looked up the two old MMAC threads on TC as well, and yeah, you were defending MM7/8's graphics back then too, while I was definitely not, though I seem to have preferred 8 to 7 at first, oddly (my memory says I liked 7 more by the time I got to the Wily levels... probably because of that horrible first Wily stage in 8!). Also I see I was defending the MM series' ability to sell... well it was doing okay in 2004, but it admittedly degraded over time, and the series has been essentially dead for a few years now. With Inafune now gone from Capcom, I wonder when the series will come back... they canned all the MM games they had in progress when Inafune left. I still think the series is potentially popular and could sell, if they'd release decent Mega Man games again... ah well.

Also, it is kind of too bad that MM8 was the last classic-series Mega Man title to actually use up-to-date (at the time) power, but I really liked MM9 and MM10, so I don't have any complaints about them at all. They were both great games. I think I liked 9 a bit more than 10, but both were very good.

But yes, I kind of like MM8 now, I think.