Tendo City
I hate you winme... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: I hate you winme... (/showthread.php?tid=4226)

I hate you winme... - A Black Falcon - 13th February 2007

What did I do to get the sidebars on Windows Explorer deleted (the sidebar where it shows filesize, date, image preview, etc)... and the 'Open With' option on Windows Explorer rightclick menus is gone too... bah... :(

I hate you winme... - Great Rumbler - 13th February 2007

Windows...ME...?

I hate you winme... - Sacred Jellybean - 13th February 2007

GR: Yup.

ABF: I feel you; my parents had ME for the longest time (perhaps they still do...?), and it's terrible. I'd help you out, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You probably already tried, but would it help to play around with the view menu, or the folder options?

I hate you winme... - EdenMaster - 13th February 2007

You can solve your problem easily.

Step 1: Buy Windows XP.

There, problem solved. Also, as long as you're doing that, why not try a screen resolution that didn't become obsolete in 1998 :D.

/sarcasm

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with ME. Do you mean the window with the Folders in Windows Explorer? There should be a button that toggles them.

Quote:ABF: I feel you; my parents had ME for the longest time (perhaps they still do...?), and it's terrible. I'd help you out, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You probably already tried, but would it help to play around with the view menu, or the folder options?

Oh, almost immediately I found that there is a folder-specific folder sidebar options setting (right in the rightclick menu of the folder) which lets you restore it in that folder, but that would need to be done separately in every single folder on the system, not exactly a reasonable proposition... :)

I tried looking it up on Microsoft's support section, but didn't find anything. As for what caused it... well, probably one of the numerous crashes or freezes my system experiences... sometimes they cause bad effects, and it's impossible to do anything about it. Who knows what'll happen next time! :D

Quote:There, problem solved. Also, as long as you're doing that, why not try a screen resolution that didn't become obsolete in 1998 .

Just to make you suffer after I get a new PC I'll run Vista with a 800x600 desktop... :)

Quote:Sorry, I'm not too familiar with ME. Do you mean the window with the Folders in Windows Explorer? There should be a button that toggles them.

No, that does have a toggle button. I mean the sidebar that's always on the screen (the left bar with the disk space and stuff in this case):

I hate you winme... - etoven - 13th February 2007

In XP you go under folder options and choose windows clasic folders.

I've been to that dialog box many times, changing the settings, hitting OK, and then going back and changing them back. Did nothing. :(

A Black Falcon Wrote:I've been to that dialog box many times, changing the settings, hitting OK, and then going back and changing them back. Did nothing. :(
If choosing windows classic folders doesn't work than I have prepared an appropriate letter to send to Mr Gate's on your behalf.

Dear Mr. Bill Gates

Why are you forcing unwanted folder information on me? You create a feature to disable it and then you make it self destruct. In retaliation I am now taking the following legal actions.

1. I am sending a very large homosexual black man, who is very much in to "pink" to rape all your male cats.
  2. I am installing windows ME on all the workstations at Microsoft headquarters utilizing a hijack of your windows update service.
  3. I am setting all the workstations at Microsoft headquarters to use the "task based" folder view.
  4. I will send you pictures of Windows XP running at 800 X 600 resolution, despite numerious kernel level warnings / suggestions.
  5. I am setting your clock forward 2 and 1/2 minutes.
  6. I am going to buy a copy of windows Vista "Unopened" shit all over it, return it to my local Walmart claiming that it was shat upon when I purchased it, and get my money back.
  7. Afterwords Walmart will clames the shit covered copy of Vista and send it back to Microsoft eventually getting there money back.
  8. And finally mail you the pictures of my "Shit" themed aero desktop. :)
I appreciate your corporation in this most delicate matter.
Yours Truly,

A Black Falcon

I hate you winme... - Weltall - 13th February 2007

Everyone hates Windows ME. That's why you're the only human being on earth younger than 65 using it.

Quote:Why are you forcing unwanted folder information on me? You create a feature to disable it and then you make it self destruct. In retaliation I am now taking the following legal actions.

No, no. The problem is that I LIKE the sidebar and, excepting the main drives list and folders I manually reconfigure, it's gone and Windows Explorer windows just have the fullscreen folder view with no sidebar, like they did in Windows 95 and 98...

And I'm pretty unhappy about losing the 'Open With' button on rightclick menus too, so that you can do things like open .doc files that only require wordpad with that instead of Word, saving all that time Word takes to load...

A Black Falcon Wrote:And I'm pretty unhappy about losing the 'Open With' button on rightclick menus too, so that you can do things like open .doc files that only require wordpad with that instead of Word, saving all that time Word takes to load...

Try shift/ctrl/alt (one of those) + right click (I think it's shift), it's supposed to make that open with option apear.

I hate you winme... - EdenMaster - 13th February 2007

Well if I'm not entirely mistaken those things don't show up in Windows Explorer at all. They show up in My Computer.

Erm

Right?

... ah, EM, My Computer IS Windows Explorer...

I hate you winme... - EdenMaster - 14th February 2007

Not exactly, Windows Explorer normally launches with the folders and paths on the left hand side, My Computer launches with the information you seek on the left.

I hate you winme... - etoven - 14th February 2007

EdenMaster Wrote:Not exactly, Windows Explorer normally launches with the folders and paths on the left hand side, My Computer launches with the information you seek on the left.

Your confusing IEXPLORE.exe with EXPLORER.exe, windows explorer controls everything from the start menu to the My Computer and Recycle Bin windows.

I hate you winme... - A Black Falcon - 14th February 2007

Windows Explorer is My Computer with the folder view sidebar open. If you close it, it's identical to how My Computer starts; if you open My Computer and open the folder view sidebar in the menu, then it looks like how Windows Explorer starts. They are not separate programs.

... or, you can open Internet Explorer and type in a path on your computer... presto, IE becomes Windows Explorer (no folder view unless you open it, but it's all the same). At least, that is true in Win9x... the reverse works too, if you type a website into the address bar in Windows Explorer/My Computer.

Quote:Your confusing IEXPLORE.exe with EXPLORER.exe, windows explorer controls everything from the start menu to the My Computer and Recycle Bin windows.

That's another Explorer entirely... it controls the system, pretty much. Try to close it in control-alt-delete and watch the system stop working. :)

I hate you winme... - Weltall - 26th February 2007

When I had the misfortune of using Windows ME, closing explorer.exe often FIXED problems.

Which I guess is just a testament to how obscenely horrible an OS it was.

I hate you winme... - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2007

Quote:When I had the misfortune of using Windows ME, closing explorer.exe often FIXED problems.

Which I guess is just a testament to how obscenely horrible an OS it was.

Hmm... usually that causes your system to reboot (trying to close Systray or Explorer, that is), but if the taskbar has crashed or something maybe it'd help... rebooting is the real answer, though. :)

I hate you winme... - Weltall - 26th February 2007

Nah. Closing explorer.exe essentially knocks Explorer out, but then it re-activates a moment later.

It was one of the best fixall solutions short of a full reboot.

I hate you winme... - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2007

Ah. Not sure about that one, but as I kind of said, I have occasionally found use for closing Systray, since when the file system (Windows Explorer/the taskbar) has frozen or crashed, it sometimes will fix the problem by forcing it to restart... of course, the system at this point is usually unstable so it's very likely to happen again very soon, but it can help temporarially.

I hate you winme... - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2007

http://epiclogon.ytmnd.com/

I hate you winme... - alien space marine - 4th March 2007

Firefox use it.

I hate you winme... - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2007

... web browsers have nothing to do with these problems...