Tendo City
I can't believe the Chargers did this! Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: I can't believe the Chargers did this! Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=420)

I can't believe the Chargers did this! Part 2 - Laser Link - 14th March 2003

Seau saying goodbye to Chargers

When he signed a contract extension three years ago, linebacker Junior Seau thanked the organization and said he was proud that he would end his career as a Charger.

That was then.

Last night, Seau said he has played his final game for the team he grew up idolizing. The Chargers have given his agent permission to talk trade with other NFL clubs, and if one doesn't materialize, Seau said he expects to be released.

"It's definitely good and bad," Seau said after speaking with coach Marty Schottenheimer. "It's time for us to part ways. There will be some disgruntled people and disgruntled fans, but it was time. I have so many great memories from my time in San Diego, but I look forward to the challenge ahead. I have no regrets about what was done. I wish everyone the best."

Seau, 34, a future Hall of Famer and 12-time Pro Bowler who has been the public face of the Chargers almost from the day they selected him in the first round of the 1990 draft, said he will discuss the situation in greater detail today during a 3 p.m. news conference at his Mission Valley restaurant.

He said he was surprised by developments, even though the Chargers have undergone a dramatic turnover since John Butler took over as general manager two years ago.

"For the most part, this is a moment that we all need to think about and rehearse for and be prepared for," Seau said. "There's just so much going on when a transaction such as this happens. For the most part, what we want to do is better ourselves. But this is an action that's coming from above."

Schottenheimer spoke by phone with Seau last night. He said it was an organizational decision to allow Seau to seek a trade, although it remains unclear what prompted the action.

"Look, this is not easy for me," Schottenheimer said. "Junior Seau embodies everything you want in a player – work ethic, dedication, passion. But we felt this was something we needed to do, and we wanted to do it right. That's why we extended the courtesy to Junior and his representative to try to see if there's a trade that can be reached."

Schottenheimer said it's not implausible that Seau could return next season. Seau said there's no chance. The Oceanside native has tremendous pride, and there's no way he's going to return to a team that ostensibly said it no longer desires his services.

Seau said he already has talked with at least two teams. Complicating matters is that teams are leery of making a trade if they feel they can wait and get the player without compensation when he's released.

"Marvin and I are going to be proactive," Seau said, referring to his agent, Marvin Demoff. "No matter what's being said, I'm here to say that we have a deal where we have permission to seek the market, and that's great. We're going to do that.

"All I want to do is put on another hat and carry on and do what I do best – on two healthy ankles. That's where we are."

Seau missed three games and part of another last season because of an ankle injury that required postseason surgery. The Chargers' defense ranked last in the league against the pass in 2002 and suffered a handful of fourth-quarter collapses that contributed to seven losses in the final nine games.

It's doubtful there will be a quick fix for the unit this offseason, especially considering so much money has been spent on the offensive side of the ball with the signings of fullback Lorenzo Neal and wide receiver David Boston.

So perhaps the Chargers think it would be wiser to go with younger players rather than stick with veterans who aren't likely to be on the roster in a couple of years when the club might be ready to turn the corner.

Whatever the case, the fire and intensity that Seau brings will be missing this fall.

"There's something hidden between the lines here," Seau said. "It just doesn't make any sense. But there's nothing that I can say that is negative. It's definitely going to be different. But I look forward to carrying on somewhere else."
=============================================

They could move to LA for all I care now. This isn't the Chargers anymore. I used to be a huge Broncos fan until they gutted the team after their 2nd Super Bowl win. I was particularly angry when they cut Steve Atwater, the heart and leader of their defense, one of the best safeties ever, and my favorite player. After that, the team was completely different and has underachieved since. Now the Chargers have done the exact same thing to Seau.