Tendo City
If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! (/showthread.php?tid=4147)

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 27th December 2006

Yeah, seriously, it's an amazing movie and a very good example of futuristic dystopian police-state scifi. Far better than V for Vendetta in that regard [and just about every other one as well].

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 2nd January 2007

It does sound interesting...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 3rd January 2007

It's opening in 1200 theaters in a few days, so go see it.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2007

Eh, I don't like "Le Resistance" movies...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 3rd January 2007

Le Resistance movies? What the heck are you talking about?

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2007

Isn't this about some oppressive government or something like that? Boooring.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 3rd January 2007

No, it's more post-apocalyptic I'd say... that's not quite it, but that's closer.

Quote:Isn't this about some oppressive government or something like that? Boooring.

Well, it does HAVE something of an oppressive government and one aspect of the movie is a group that is fighting against it, but that's hardly the main focus of the movie.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 4th January 2007

Hmm, well at any rate I don't have much to say so instead I'll post a graven image of a Muslim prophet so as to incite violence against me.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 4th January 2007

Your picture doesn't work.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 4th January 2007

Seemed to... well I just uploaded it instead so... how about now?

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 4th January 2007

The terrorists are gonna get you, DJ.

Pfft, not only do they not know my name, they think the internet is a highway to HELL. They won't be messing with me.

Further, I'd be surprised if these terrorist groups ever successfully made a nuclear weapon. Proper construction requires accepting things like general relativity which fly in the face of some of the teachings of their faith. They'd need to put their faith aside just to make the weapon, and having done that, what motive do they have to use it? The only alternative is hiring HERETICS to build them. Would they do that, or kill them?

They might even do what some backwards leaders do and "NOT TOLERATE FAILURE!" (in spite of "failure" being just as useful as "success" in science and an important part of it), Jim Jong Jutsu (or whatever the guy's name is) tends to execute those who fail him, so there's not much chance of that guy building a decent nuclear weapon either.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - etoven - 5th January 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Pfft, not only do they not know my name, they think the internet is a highway to HELL. They won't be messing with me.

Further, I'd be surprised if these terrorist groups ever successfully made a nuclear weapon. Proper construction requires accepting things like general relativity which fly in the face of some of the teachings of their faith. They'd need to put their faith aside just to make the weapon, and having done that, what motive do they have to use it? The only alternative is hiring HERETICS to build them. Would they do that, or kill them?

They might even do what some backwards leaders do and "NOT TOLERATE FAILURE!" (in spite of "failure" being just as useful as "success" in science and an important part of it), Jim Jong Jutsu (or whatever the guy's name is) tends to execute those who fail him, so there's not much chance of that guy building a decent nuclear weapon either.

Congratulations :) Muslims officially hate you more then Bush now.
I always new one day you'd have a flag burned to spite your name.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Weltall - 5th January 2007

Don't worry, DJ. You're safe now.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 6th January 2007

Seriously, though, Children of Men. It's opening in 1200 theaters very, very soon. Go see it.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - DMiller - 6th January 2007

I'm going to see Children of Men later tonight. If it doesn't live up to the hype you've built up for it GR, then you owe me $7.50.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 6th January 2007

DMiller Wrote:I'm going to see Children of Men later tonight. If it doesn't live up to the hype you've built up for it GR, then you owe me $7.50.

Unless you believe it to be 100,000,000 times better than the best movie ever made, then it'll live up to the hype.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - DMiller - 6th January 2007

It certainly was good. A few people around us seemed pissed at how it ended, but I don't think anymore closure was needed to tell the story.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 6th January 2007

The nearest theater playing it is half an hour away, so I'm not sure if I'll see it...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - EdenMaster - 6th January 2007

Apparently ABF only goes to see movies at the theater directly next door to his home.

Well, half-an-hour to see a movie is a little much so I'll give him a break there. I probably wouldn't have seen the movie if I had to go that far.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2007

etoven Wrote:Congratulations :) Muslims officially hate you more then Bush now.
I always new one day you'd have a flag burned to spite your name.

Of course I was really only talking about the violent Muslim sects. I have no qualms with the peaceful ones.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Fittisize - 7th January 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Of course I was really only talking about the violent Muslim sects. I have no qualms with the peaceful ones.

That sort of reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once (on the bumper of a big truck with Texas license plates). It said, "MUSLIMS, EITHER YOU'RE WITH US OR AGAINST US." Not too sure how I feel about that yet.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:The nearest theater playing it is half an hour away, so I'm not sure if I'll see it...

I drove eighty miles to see Children of Men.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2007

Fittisize Wrote:That sort of reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once (on the bumper of a big truck with Texas license plates). It said, "MUSLIMS, EITHER YOU'RE WITH US OR AGAINST US." Not too sure how I feel about that yet.

I'm not sure what that means though.

Personally I find the whole "with us or against us" thinking to be backwards savagery.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - EdenMaster - 7th January 2007

It's nationalism, a horrible thing, indeed.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2007

There's nothing particularly wrong with a bit of nationalism, but it can certainly be taken too far.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2007

Quote:I drove eighty miles to see Children of Men.

You don't live in an area with any theaters nearby then, I gather... I'd never do that.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Fittisize - 7th January 2007

I live 90 minutes away from an excellent theatre and 45 minutes away from a few shitty ones...living in the middle of nowhere sucks when you want to watch movies but I always seem to get by.

On the opening weekend of 'When A Stranger Calls', I drove myself and whatever dumb whore I was seeing at the time to the big city to be one of the first to watch it. Apparently I was one of the only people who saw it, opening weekend or otherwise. Not too sure what the hell I was thinking there.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2007

I'll be in Portland Tuesday actually... maybe I can get over to the mall and see it then, we'll see...

There is a one-screen art-house theater in this town, and a 10-screen normal one as well. They don't get everything of course, but with how infrequently I got to the movies that doesn't usually bother me much. More important to me is the fact that I'm within walking distance to several places I can buy videogames. ... I don't like driving, so if that wasn't available... well, I'd buy a LOT less stuff, that's for sure...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - DorkKing - 8th January 2007

[Image: art_3360_1.jpg]

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 8th January 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:You don't live in an area with any theaters nearby then, I gather... I'd never do that.

There's a theater 20 miles north of where I live and another about 25 miles south of where I live. Neither of those were showing Children of Men at the time I wanted to see it. So, I drove all the way to Dallas.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2007

Quote:There's a theater 20 miles north of where I live and another about 25 miles south of where I live. Neither of those were showing Children of Men at the time I wanted to see it. So, I drove all the way to Dallas.

My point. :) I don't have to go 20 minuites to go to a movie, since there are theaters in town... 80 miles just to see a movie though. I'd consider that odd, but if that's the only way to see it, I guess if you're that dedicated you'll do it... I doubt I would, but I've always lived in town, so I wouldn't know.

... yes, I do like the fact that I actually live in a town...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - EdenMaster - 8th January 2007

Fittisize Wrote:I drove myself and whatever dumb whore I was seeing at the time

:S

You must be a very special friend to have...

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Dark Jaguar - 8th January 2007

At the VERY least, it says he has poor judgment.

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - Great Rumbler - 27th January 2007

So...anyone else seen Children of Men?

If "Children of Men" is showing near you, go see it! - A Black Falcon - 27th January 2007

I want to eventually, but haven't.