Tendo City
Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Wii wish you a Merry Christmas (/showthread.php?tid=4104)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 13th December 2006

Quote:Eh, not really interested. Most of it has been pretty much ruined by a friend of mine constantly quoting from various books in the series.

Random quotes and excerpts do NOTHING to convey just how hilarious [and GOOD] the Discworld novels are.

Quote:I may eventually see 2001, but eh, I get the impression I already know the whole story anyway without having seen it. Something about a super intelligent evil computer, and a guy shuts it down before it does something evil, and then they get to Saturn and there's a black thing that's "full of stars".

It may be good, but with that ending I have to wonder if they didn't decide to do a cheesy cop-out ending of "we basically turned on all our photoshop effects and call it deep and mysterious and meaningful when it's really just meaningless" sort of ending.

Okay, so not only are you ignorant of 2001, but you also slam it at the same time? Bad form, DJ, bad form. First off, HAL isn't evil. Now, from the movie alone, one might be tempted to arrive at this description, but it isn't the case at all. Although, there are some differing trains of thought on that issue.

And there's nothing meaningless about the ending as the movie itself shows and is shown in the other books in the series. The first part of the movie and last part of the movie are perfect complements of each other and, frankly, a straight-forward ending would be a huge mistake, taking into account the information we are present with up to that point.

So don't go bashing the greatest science-fiction movie ever when you haven't even seen it.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 13th December 2006

Hey now calm down. I'm just saying my impressions of it from what little has been constantly parodied don't exactly shout "amazing" to me.

At the same time, I have to say "greatest sci-fi movie ever" goes to Inner Space. The shot went into the guy's behindus! That's funny to me. Really though, eh, I'm not interested. Also, I didn't like Planet of the Apes.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Weltall - 13th December 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Now this may catch you off guard as a "that defies everything I would expect out of reality" statement, but I too have seen Jacob's Ladder, and I'll say it has nothing to do with the electricity demonstration.

Messed up, and when the deleted scenes are taken into account it really sets itself up for a subtitle like "Silent Hill 0". Odd that the ONE person thrown into a hellish nightmare world who actually happens to BE a fighter doesn't do jack to try and defeat these things, but then again there's also the difference of it being in a highly populated "normal world".

That does bring up an idea for Silent Hill 5. What if it, instead of taking place in an abandoned town, took place years ago when Silent Hill was still occupied and the hell first began? One man must slowly lose their mind surrounded by sane people who don't see a single bit of what he sees, or something else that appeals to that "I know the truth, they's out to gets us" fantasy in all of us. Behave normally in the real world but sometimes not be sure, but if you attack the wrong "thing" you get thrown in the looney bin as the town burns.

Well, the funny thing is, the town has always been fully occupied throughout the entire series. There's some alternate-reality stuff going on, and the town itself is unchanged, most of the citizens never even aware that something may be amiss.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 13th December 2006

I've yet to see a "fully occupied" Silent Hill in the games I've played. What's the indication of this in the game?

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Weltall - 14th December 2006

Because the timeline established by the four games in the series demands that it is occupied.

For instance, the second game takes place ten years after the first game, yet three years before Silent Hill 2, the protagonist and his wife are in town on vacation. The protagonist of Silent Hill 4 remarks, before things go wrong, that he has gone there and enjoyed himself, though at the time he is 29 years old, and the fourth game takes place 21 years after the first. In fact, when characters in the later games mention the town, they sometimes say that strange things happen there, but none have ever made a point to mention that the town is a hellish landscape worse than any man's feverish nightmares.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 14th December 2006

The other option is bad continuity, but at any rate it seems a little excessive to say that there are actually 3 alternate realities.

Still, this works out well for my idea, as a game can take place where one goes back and forth between "living" Silent Hill and the other two.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Weltall - 14th December 2006

There are more than three...

The realities are the metaphysical construct of a person's mind. In the first, third and fourth games, they are the creation of a single (different) individual, each of them strong and focused, and therefore able to control and manipulate the reality, to an extent, with your main character as an unwilling bystander each time. In the second, each character, except Maria, is in their very own alternate reality, though they can overlap each other and do several times. These people are not aware that it is their own minds at work, and thus cannot exhibit conscious influence.

Silent Hill 2 explains the nature of the alternate realities in a memo.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 14th December 2006

Quote:I'm just saying my impressions of it from what little has been constantly parodied don't exactly shout "amazing" to me.

Parodies are a good indicator of how good a movie is? That doesn't really make any sense...

Quote:Also, I didn't like Planet of the Apes.

Not my problem!

Quote:At the same time, I have to say "greatest sci-fi movie ever" goes to Inner Space. The shot went into the guy's behindus! That's funny to me. Really though, eh, I'm not interested.

Yeah...it's probably just as well, it's unlikely that you'd appreciate it...

Great Rumbler Wrote:Parodies are a good indicator of how good a movie is? That doesn't really make any sense...

Not my problem!

Yeah...it's probably just as well, it's unlikely that you'd appreciate it...

I didn't say they were a good indicator, I'm just saying nothing I've seen or heard about it interests me that much. Some fool running around saying "you just HAVE to see this" isn't a convincer. I can go without. There is no such thing as an "important" move, or game, or fictional book.

Quote:There is no such thing as an "important" move, or game, or fictional book.

That doesn't mean that you have to be opposed to seeing/playing/reading things that you have not yet seen/played/read or heard about before, which is the position you seem to carry with you on a constant basis. If someone tells me about something new [or even something very old] and this is something that this person is excited about and they go on to say great things about it, I take a little bit of my time to found out about it and look for excerpts if it's a book, or samples if its a CD, or some reviews if it's a movie. After doing that, and finding that this is something that may interest me, I go out and purchase said item. Then I watch/read/listen to it to find if it is as good as I have been lead to believe. If it's not, "Oh well!", but if it is, then I am happy that I have found something new that I like.

Not you, though! You seem incredibly, STAUNCHLY, opposed to finding out about new things that have not, as yet, being experienced by you and any encouragement to do so by other members is met by a wall that only gets stronger and higher everytime someone puts for words of praise for said item! I just really do not understand such a position, which seems to be, in sentence form, "the only goods things are the things I have already experienced and anything I have not experienced is not worth experiencing". Makes no sense to me.

Not really, I'm just not interested and don't like being told I "have to" see something. You forget, I'm LAZY. It's not something I want to put any effort into doing, nothing more than that.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - DMiller - 14th December 2006

I can't put my arms down!

Well why are you wearing 5 jackets?!

Quote:I'm just not interested and don't like being told I "have to" see something.

Why? If you haven't seen something before and someone tells you that it's awesome and that you should see it, why should that make you stubbornly oppose it?

Quote:You forget, I'm LAZY. It's not something I want to put any effort into doing, nothing more than that.

Hey, I'M lazy and even I put a little effort out there to find things that I haven't experienced before.

And you should watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner not because I said you should, but because there are great movies.

Eh, not interested. Maybe if I had seen them and knew they were great movies I'd go and see them to see what they were like. That's LOGIC I used there! Bad logic...

But anyway, that's never really worked that well for me, the whole someone telling me something is "neat" thing. I'll just read the basic plot off Wikipedia some time, if I remember.

At any rate, point is, you like the movie. I'm not that interested, but might see it some time, maybe. Let's all just get on with our lives and move along now.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 15th December 2006

You're so weird, DJ.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - etoven - 15th December 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Okay, I have to ask, what the heck is up with the weird kid with glasses on the posts?

I have to agree with Ryan, having not seen a show that's shown 65 times on Christmas day, has had hundreds of marketing ploys, and has made it's way to numerous medias makes you blind to American pop culture.

Not knowing who ralphe is, is like not know how to have sex. You just do!

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 15th December 2006

I should see 2001, I know, I just... haven't... I don't have a good excuse... :)

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 4th April 2007

The director of "A Christmas Story" and his son were killed in a car accident... hit by a drunk driver (who of course lived)...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/04/obit.clark.ap/index.html

(and no, I haven't seen the movie since this thread.)

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 4th April 2007

I bet DJ still hasn't seen Blade Runner or 2001.

I, on the other hand, just watched Blade Runner again last week. That's about ten times now.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - DMiller - 4th April 2007

Blade Runner is one of those DVDs I have to get, but I had been holding off because I heard there was some super, ultimate, 3-disc set coming out. It probably came out a while ago, but I haven't checked on it in a while.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 4th April 2007

It's supposed to come out sometime this year, maybe. I picked up the remastered DVD a few months ago and it looks really good.

For some reason I already want to watch it again...

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 4th April 2007

I only watched it once... it is a sci-fi classic though, so watch it!

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Sacred Jellybean - 5th April 2007

I've been meaning to see that, and read the book it's based on ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?").

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 5th April 2007

Great Rumbler Wrote:I bet DJ still hasn't seen Blade Runner or 2001.

You are correct. Eh. Ya know, I don't need fiction to "expand my horizons". Reality does an infinitely superior job at that.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 5th April 2007

You really need to check those two movies out. Really. They're classics of science fiction and two of the greatest movies ever made.

Quote:I've been meaning to see that, and read the book it's based on ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?").

The book and the movie are quite a bit different, but are also very good in their own ways.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - alien space marine - 5th April 2007

Yah I guess the Georgian born Soviet dictator Josef Stalin is less recognizable then Hitler for Americans , Wonder how many Americans know Hitler was born in Austria?

Hulk Hogan was the muscled robust Marxist dictator of the tiny eastern European country of Wresylvania.

What are you talking about?

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2007

Quote:You are correct. Eh. Ya know, I don't need fiction to "expand my horizons". Reality does an infinitely superior job at that.

Am I the only one to wonder how you say this, and then go play videogames with fictional stories? :)

Quote:What are you talking about?

The picture I posted on the previous page showing how most people know current pop culture figures better than major historical figures of the last century (WWII era). But yes, he could have been a bit more clear about the reference...

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - alien space marine - 5th April 2007

I was making a joke about your stupid picture! God damn you!

Fungila Bastardo!

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 5th April 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:Am I the only one to wonder how you say this, and then go play videogames with fictional stories? :)

I'm not about to say I don't enjoy having fun. I'm just saying I'm not in the least bit obligated in ANY sense to watch that movie. It is as though if I enjoy any fiction, I "must" see them or I am commiting the sin of being "logically inconsistant" or some such nonsense.

Okay, we get, you don't like things that are good.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2007

Weird new version of Seamonkey/Firefox and its built-in spellchecker... (the red underlines are everywhere (in text entry boxes, that is)!)

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I'm not about to say I don't enjoy having fun. I'm just saying I'm not in the least bit obligated in ANY sense to watch that movie. It is as though if I enjoy any fiction, I "must" see them or I am commiting the sin of being "logically inconsistant" or some such nonsense.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Okay, we get, you don't like things that are good.

No, it kind of feels like it's more like the more people say "you should see that", the less DJ actually wants to see the thing from what I can tell from this thread... 'obligated'? No, you're not obligated to see any one specific movie. Just because a lot of people say something is worth watching (or reading, or whatever) in a field you enjoy doesn't mean you have to watch or read it. It just means that it's popular, and perhaps good, and it's probably likely that there's a solid chance you'd like it... that's all.

I can't say "must" anywhere obviously because there are plenty of things I haven't seen, and I don't mind that I haven't. Just because it's popular doesn't mean I actually have interest in looking into it. :)

The same goes for games, of course.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - EdenMaster - 5th April 2007

A Black Falcon Wrote:Weird new version of Seamonkey/Firefox and its built-in spellchecker... (the red underlines are everywhere (in text entry boxes, that is)!)

I'm pretty sure there is a way to turn that off.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Sacred Jellybean - 5th April 2007

In firefox, right-click the box and uncheck the part that says "Spell check this field".

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2007

Quote:I was making a joke about your stupid picture! God damn you!

I got the joke...

... probably, though, it had been Hitler instead of Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt, more people might have recognized who it was...

Quote:I'm pretty sure there is a way to turn that off.

I'm sure there is, but I just upgraded the version and haven't looked for it yet. The image previews on the tab bar are kind of odd too... not sure if I'm going to keep those features...

Quote:In firefox, right-click the box and uncheck the part that says "Spell check this field".

Ah, that's it, works the same way in Seamonkey. Hmm... now, should I disable it, or download the other dictionaries... :D

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 6th April 2007

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4sUohLs-Ek"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4sUohLs-Ek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ya know, I think I'm going to skin a cuttlefish and develop a system to use that as a computer moniter that is both thin and flexible.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 6th April 2007

You really like posting random Youtube videos, don't you? Why not spend that time watching Blade Runner instead?

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Sacred Jellybean - 6th April 2007

Try to derail our relentless scrutiny and intolerance with a youtube video, will you?!

BTW, have you considered that DJ might just not enjoy movies as much as us? [Image: shrug.gif] To each his own.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 6th April 2007

Is that supposed to convince me not to keep bugging DJ? Because it won't work!!

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 6th April 2007

Great Rumbler Wrote:You really like posting random Youtube videos, don't you? Why not spend that time watching Blade Runner instead?

Because I'd rather see a cuttle fish running around the ocean floor from a camera man.

Or this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBGlm0Sye8Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBGlm0Sye8Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Sacred Jellybean - 6th April 2007

Quote:Is that supposed to convince me not to keep bugging DJ? Because it won't work!!

Well dernit, I tried. *walks away into the sunset as a saxophone somewhere plays a sad melody*

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - lazyfatbum - 7th April 2007

hahaha the poor kitty. Human beings are so awesome, we can even torture animals in space.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Dark Jaguar - 7th April 2007

Well aren't you self righteous! :D Yeah, at least cats have the good sense to play with dying mice for their own amusement in some down to earth place.

By the way, that's not outer space. That's an aircraft that went into a freefall state to simulate zero gravity, in the same way orbit simulates zero gravity.

I'll be the first to admit that the throwing was too much. DO A BARREL ROLL!

A sensible shoes way of doing it is just to do it like so:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfGMOvPzrvE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfGMOvPzrvE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - lazyfatbum - 7th April 2007

hahaha wtf :D

yeah i'd love to get a ride on that plane, its been used as a set for some films too. Do you think its possible to simulate that with high speed roller coasters? like, you get one minute of zero or nearly 0 gravity before you fall on your face? a roller coaster that resembles a padded cell! The Insani-G! *GENIUS*

Yes actually, and in fact all that's needed to simulate zero G is to reach free fall. Of course one thing that helps is cutting out the wind resistance. In fact, there are a few rides that basically are just a seat that they raise really high and then just frickin' DROP, using a braking system to slowly bring you to a stop near the bottom.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - alien space marine - 7th April 2007

So dogs can handle zero g better then cats?

This dog can handle floating to the ceiling and dropping better than that cat could handle being tossed against a wall, yes.

More to the point, that plane was actually going faster than free fall, hence why the dog wasn't just in zero g but "falling" up.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - alien space marine - 8th April 2007

Dark Jaguar Wrote:This dog can handle floating to the ceiling and dropping better than that cat could handle being tossed against a wall, yes.

More to the point, that plane was actually going faster than free fall, hence why the dog wasn't just in zero g but "falling" up.

See this is why I credit with being the only fem that can make me laugh after pointing out the flaws in my observations.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2007

alien space marine Wrote:See this is why I credit with being the only fem that can make me laugh after pointing out the flaws in my observations.

ASM still thinks DJ is a girl?