Tendo City
Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Get your Wii-Mote off the table (/showthread.php?tid=4098)

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - EdenMaster - 23rd November 2006

Seriously, it's Thankgiving, go eat something. You guys probably haven't eaten (or slept!) in days. You're malnourished. GO!

Happy Thanksgiving, guys!

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Great Rumbler - 23rd November 2006

I ate turkey AND played Wii! At the same time!

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - A Black Falcon - 23rd November 2006

I ate turkey, but didn't play Wii... :(

I did buy the SNES version of Link to the Past (with manual!) though yesterday, but I was playing BlaZeon today... I'll beat that game yet! Level five, you are so evil... (why is SNES LttP like three times more fun than the GBA version?)

... erm... Chrono Cross (complete) or DKC1 (w/manual), $5 each... worth it? I have DKC2 and 3 and haven't finished either, so I don't really know if getting 1 also is really worth it...

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Fittisize - 23rd November 2006

Chrono Cross - worth it. The greatest RPG ever created.

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Great Rumbler - 23rd November 2006

I'd give the title "Greatest RPG Ever Created" to a different game, but it's definitely worth $5.

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Geno - 24th November 2006

Chrono Cross ain't bad. For $5, hell yeah. (Chrono Trigger was hella better though. :P )

DKC for $5? Fuck yeah. That game is like the pinnacle of 2D platformers.

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Sacred Jellybean - 24th November 2006

Quote:DKC for $5? Fuck yeah. That game is like the pinnacle of 2D platformers.

IAWTP.

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - A Black Falcon - 24th November 2006

I didn't get either... but I did spend $75 today (after only spending $10 on the two games earlier in the week), getting Yggdra Union (I saw a copy! I wasn't expecting to, but there it was... :) :)) ($27), a used (but in nearly perfect condition) original model purple GBA ($20... $100 for a DS (not now), $50-$60 for an SP, or $20 for a GBA? Easy choice. And it came with batteries. :)), and Super Star Wars (complete and sealed... then I opened it. :)), Colony Wars: Vengeance, and Boktai ($10, $8, and $12, but it's 'buy two used games get one free', so I paid about $24 with tax total for the three.

The local gaming store here has Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG now, but, well, they're $20 and $30... ack... I want them, but that price is steep... (just like their $25 copies of Xenogears... or FF2-SNES for $25? Oh wait, that last one sold, so I guess people will pay those prices...)

Quote:DKC for $5? Fuck yeah. That game is like the pinnacle of 2D platformers.

But remember, I do already have DKC2 and DKC3, so it's not that big a loss. Isn't 2 better than the first one anyway?

I also saw some new copies of Summon Night: Swordcraft Story and its sequel (for GBA)... thought seriously about getting one of those two, but didn't...

... LttP-SNES and Yggdra Union, though... :)

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Great Rumbler - 24th November 2006

Good grief, Brian! No wonder you're constantly low on cash!!

Erm... ah...

... yeah, that's pretty much it. :D

But Yggdra Union is one of my most wanted games of the year, I wasn't exactly going to not get it when I saw it in the store. And the other stuff... I was going to get Super Star Wars, so why not get two more and save money compared to buying each separately? :D

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - EdenMaster - 24th November 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:$50-$60 for an SP, or $20 for a GBA? Easy choice.

Yeah, but you can't see <i>anything</i> on an original GBA without an Afterburner mod or total direct sunlight. You'd have been better to get a used Game Boy Player for your Cube. They're dirt cheap now, and playing GBA games on a TV is great. It's one of the only things holding me back from selling my GameCube now that I have a Wii.

Erm, I have a GB Player, got it in July... :) ($30, used) About the same time my Cube started DRE'ing constantly, but fortunately it still boots up often enough to run the GB Player since it just needs to read the disc once...

It's nice, but I just don't think the original GBA is THAT bad. I used one for three years (mid '03 when I first bought it until it died this summer) and while it certainly is dim, and dimmer than the GB or GBC were (poor GBC Worm Light can't light up a GBA like it could a GBC...), it's not that bad... sure, it's best used near direct light, but oh well... I usually would be playing it near one anyway.

I just needed a new GBA because my old one's d-pad broke this summer. It also has a very annoying badly scratched screen, but that alone isn't "replace me" material... an unusable d-pad is. The GB Player is nice, but it's not a total replacement for a real GBA, I think. While it's better for some games than others. While some look great on it, some clearly look better on the smaller, sharper screen of a real GBA...

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - EdenMaster - 24th November 2006

Blech, I hated the original GBA. No, thatr's not entirely true, although I DID spring instantly at the SP when it launched. Maybe it's because I like to play in the dark.

Yeah, my Cube DRE'd itself to death too. I replaced it, but I gave it to my dad to use strictly for a GBP, since he likes the games but can't quite see them well on the small screen.

Yunno what I always found weird? Sony products have a proven worse track record than Nintendo for hardware durability, but my PS2 has been exposed to the same conditions that have deteriorated and ruined two previous GameCubes and I've never had a problem. It's not a difference in usage either, mind you, the game I've played probably 2nd most of all this gen (FFX, 1st being Melee) is on PS2. I always thought I'd have to rebuy a PS2 way before my Cube would crap out. Who knew? Certainly gave me a new perspective on not so much Sony as Nintendo. The Wii had better last me longer than Cubes 1 & 2 did!

Quote:Blech, I hated the original GBA. No, thatr's not entirely true, although I DID spring instantly at the SP when it launched. Maybe it's because I like to play in the dark.

I play with the lights on... (for the GBA, you do need one close to it, but bedside table lights or a lamp near a chair usually works fine, once you find a good angle...) :)

I do remember thinking that it was cool that Game Gears could light up a room while my GB was useless in the dark (I didn't get a screen light until after I got a GBC...), but still, while there are places where it's definitely useful, it's not SO useful that I think it's worth the extra $30 to $40 (either in summer '03 when I got my new GBA for $60 when SPs were $100 or now when it's used ones at $20 vs. $50/$60 SPs).

Quote:Yeah, my Cube DRE'd itself to death too. I replaced it, but I gave it to my dad to use strictly for a GBP, since he likes the games but can't quite see them well on the small screen.

I think it's more common in launch cubes than later ones... that'd probably explain mine, anyway...

Quote:Yunno what I always found weird? Sony products have a proven worse track record than Nintendo for hardware durability, but my PS2 has been exposed to the same conditions that have deteriorated and ruined two previous GameCubes and I've never had a problem. It's not a difference in usage either, mind you, the game I've played probably 2nd most of all this gen (FFX, 1st being Melee) is on PS2. I always thought I'd have to rebuy a PS2 way before my Cube would crap out. Who knew? Certainly gave me a new perspective on not so much Sony as Nintendo. The Wii had better last me longer than Cubes 1 & 2 did!

The original Game Boy is probably the most durable console ever... that thing is so nearly indestructible... GBC and GBA aren't even close to that level (as shown by how I have both a broken GBC and a broken GBA, but both of my original GBs work perfectly), and neither are the SP and DS with their breakable hinges (a significant flaw, potentially, as that "DS cracking" thing showed) and "fail to recharge the battery often enough and it can hurt that battery's maximum possible life" rechargable batteries...

Other than those two though the only console that broke on me was one of my N64's, and it did it in like less than a year of my buying it I think... and maybe it was just dirty, I don't know. I lost it a few years ago, somehow, so I can't go check (why it was deleting the save data off of a few oncart save games [SSB] and wouldn't recognize the saves of oncart save titles).

Of course, before last summer all I had were the GB/C/A, the two N64s, and my GC, so that's a small sample... but the SNES, PSone, Genesis, and Sega CD I got since that point all work fine. ... though the Sega CD did come with a second, pre-broken Genesis... darn things have bad durability compared to Nintendo platforms...

As for your PS2, that's probably just luck. Those things are notorious for failing...

Get your Wii-Mote off the table - Great Rumbler - 25th November 2006

My PS2 got disc-read errors after about two years. After three years you had to turn it on its side to get it to read discs. And after four years it would barely work at all.

I got my Cube on Day 1 and it still works as well as it did the day I got it.