Tendo City
Memory Card broken - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Memory Card broken (/showthread.php?tid=4080)

Memory Card broken - Fittisize - 18th November 2006

My shitty Interact memory card, which held pretty much all of my game saves, has snapped in two (completely my fault). On this memory card I had:

Animal Crossing (mortgages paid off in full)
Eternal Darkness (beaten on all four runes)
FIFA Soccer 2003 (I don't care about this game)
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent (completed)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (EVERY TRACK, CHARACTER, AND RECORD - 40 points on Grande Prix for all modes, plus 160 points on Ultra Grande Prix for all modes)
Metroid Prime (completed)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (about ten hours of gameplay...I was still playing this one)
NBA Street (My create-a-player had every single stat maximized and was over 8 feet tall)
NHL Hitz 20-02 (Over 500 games played)
NHL 2004 (an entire season including playoffs played, plus several franchise modes, one where I won the Stanley Cup 15 out of 20 seasons)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (ANOTHER game I was close to finishing...I WAS ON THE FINAL BOSS! I WAS GOING TO BEAT HIM TODAY!)
Resident Evil 4 (30+ hours of play)
Soul Caliber II (barely scratched the surface, so not a big deal)
Star Wars: Rogue Leader (the game that made me fall in love with the Gamecube, very sad to lose this one)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (this one hurts pretty bad. The records of the never-ending battle between me and a friend of mine [something like 340-320 in his favour] are gone, plus all completed events, plus all characters, almost every single trophy...)
Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater 3 (all tracks)

This fucking sucks. I can deal with losing RE4, Star Wars, Metroid Prime, Rogue Agent and Eternal Darkness because I've gone through those games already. I'm certainly not happy about it, but it's not THAT big of a deal. Tony Hawk, Soul Caliber II, and all my sports games I no longer care about, but that is a lot of gameplay that I have no record of anymore. Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2 hurts REAL bad, especially considering how close I was to finishing both of those games...I wasn't going to buy a Wii until I had beaten them.

Once again, this sucks.

Memory Card broken - EdenMaster - 18th November 2006

How in the world did that happen? Step on it?

That's too bad, man. I'd hate to think how I'd react if something like that were to happen to my ginormous 1019 Memory Card, which holds the data of <u>every one</u> of my 38 GC games (sans AC).

If it broke, I'm sure whatever happened next would get covered in the local, if not national, news that day.

Memory Card broken - A Black Falcon - 18th November 2006

Gah, I always hate it when I lose save files, but it's definitely worse when you're about to finish a game... losing my N64 Goemon's Great Adventure save one ticket short of getting everything (43 of the 44, like Mario 64's stars), or having Super Mario World erase my save file at Bower's Castle but before beating him, or losing my Wipeout 64 save file and having to start over... (though that game is easier when you replay it than the first time)

Fortunaltely nothing has happened to my GC memory cards. I did have a couple files corrupt, but I'm pretty sure that was poor programming, not the card itsself -- it only affected one file each time (SpyHunter and Midway Arcade Treasures)... MAT didn't affect much other than highscores, but losing that SpyHunter file was annoying. I had beaten all of the missions and started on the hard challenges after that... :(

... I just leave my 1019 and 251 (with some additional saves for Eternal Darkness and some other games, F-Zero GX since I couldn't move it, etc) in the system all the time...

Memory Card broken - Great Rumbler - 18th November 2006

Quote:My shitty Interact memory card

Well, there's your problem.

Yeah, I didn't want to mention it. I hate 3rd-party stuff. This is why.

I have an N64 Interact memory card that I got in late 1999 and still works just fine... I think that most of the problems are with cards that compress data; if you stick to 1x third-party cards, they're more reliable. Though my cousins have a 4x N64 card that still works last I heard...

Memory Card broken - Great Rumbler - 18th November 2006

I had a Interact PSX memory card once and it broke because I reset the system.

I have two Mad Catz and one Sony PSX memory cards, and they're fine... though the Mad Catz ones were gotten new in January this year, so they aren't very old.

Any third-party junk I may have bought in either idiocy or necessity have failed on me. The one piece of third-party in my possession is a memory card for PS1, given to me by my friend after he sold his PS1. I silently pray every time I open or save FFVII.

Memory Card broken - Fittisize - 18th November 2006

My Interact memory card served me well over the years. I never had a problem with it. I was moving my Gamecube around and it slipped from my hands...I grabbed it by the memory card (? for some reason) and that is how it snapped. Silly me. Although I did still manage to save the Gamecube - after the card snapped I reached out with my left hand and with spectacular reflexes I caught it before it hit the ground. Yup, I saved a system that I will probably never use again once I get my Wii in a few weeks. I should have just let it hit the ground instead. At least I would have the memory card.

Yet I have a third party N64 memcard and two third party PSX memcards, and my cousins have a third party N64 card (compressed one, too), a third party DC card, and two third party PSX cards, and all of those cards work fine as far as I know (there were still files saved on all of them as of this summer at least, and they almost never uses them...)... I've had just as many lost files on my first-party N64 cards as on the third party ones. Excepting the two corrupt GC files, my other cards have not lost files... of course, that doesn't cover for files lost from dying/lost hard drives (I've had that happen) or saves lost from dying cartridge batteries (ditto), though...

Of course, all four of those PSX cards are Mad Catz, which doesn't have quite as bad a reputation as Interact... but my third-party (1x) N64 memcard is Interact, as is that DC card of theirs...

Memory Card broken - Weltall - 18th November 2006

I've been using one single Memory Card 59 since I got my Cube four years ago.

Memory Card broken - DMiller - 1st December 2006

Well, testing things out using the Wii's GameCube memory card slots I found out that one of my Interact memory cards is no longer readable. I'm glad it wasn't the other one since most of my saves were one it, but I did lose saves for Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, and a few other single-player games. Kind of annoying, but I guess I'll get over it.

Memory Card broken - EdenMaster - 1st December 2006

Why not use your Cube and transfer them over to a Nintendo card?

Memory Card broken - DMiller - 1st December 2006

It wasn't just the Wii it didn't work in. I get the same error message on my Cube.

Memory Card broken - etoven - 1st December 2006

Sucks about your lost card saves... :(
You should do what they do in Richmond.....

Complain to your local Walmart. Call 1800WALMART and demand a $100 gift card because it's their fault some how. You could explain that because of the butterfly effect, the fact that one of the ICS associates dropped a box in receiving triggered a series of event that let to the inevitable act of you accidentally destroying your memory card. Given 1800WALMARTS track record for kissing ass you'll probably get your way, and possibly a team of engineers to restore your lost data.

Ryan back me up on this....

Memory Card broken - EdenMaster - 1st December 2006

DMiller Wrote:It wasn't just the Wii it didn't work in. I get the same error message on my Cube.

EdenMaster Wrote:Yeah, I didn't want to mention it. I hate 3rd-party stuff. This is why.

You only need to have a few third-party products crap out on you before you realize why first-party stuff costs a few bucks more.

Because it's worth it.

Memory Card broken - Weltall - 2nd December 2006

Some third-party items work well, and some are only made by them... for instance, my Cube adaptor that allows me to use my PS2 controller, a great item for games that are more oriented to the D-pad, and for the Game Boy Player.