Tendo City
Okay, that can't be good... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Okay, that can't be good... (/showthread.php?tid=4057)

Okay, that can't be good... - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2006

My computer has been making an odd noise (occasional buzzing/grinding-ish noise...) for a few weeks or so now... finally got around to trying to figure out what it was, and it's my videocard's fan. Obviously the fan has gone off balance or something... the question is though if it's actually a problem or if it's just really annoying, but I don't know that...

Okay, that can't be good... - Dark Jaguar - 11th November 2006

Nor do I, without measuring the temp of your video card. Usually though, yes this isn't really a good thing. Best thing for you to do is buy a cooling fan designed to sit in a slot next to your video card to replace it, but that might not even be needed if it's an old card with good ventilation that still operates just fine. If you notice slowdown in terms of video processing, this is the most likely cause. Or, you may just want to replace the video card anyway.

Okay, that can't be good... - Great Rumbler - 11th November 2006

Try to put some oil in it, there should be a small hole in the center of the fan just under the label. If that doesn't work...well, there's probably not a whole lot you can do about it.

Okay, that can't be good... - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2006

Quote:Nor do I, without measuring the temp of your video card. Usually though, yes this isn't really a good thing. Best thing for you to do is buy a cooling fan designed to sit in a slot next to your video card to replace it, but that might not even be needed if it's an old card with good ventilation that still operates just fine. If you notice slowdown in terms of video processing, this is the most likely cause. Or, you may just want to replace the video card anyway.

It's original to my computer, which means that it's a five year (and nearly two month) old 32MB GeForce2 GTS. :)

Getting a new one... like with other things, I don't want to spend much money on a computer I plan on replacing in under six months (and probably less)... I did get a new DVD drive (+burner) this summer, but that was pretty cheap and I managed to break my old DVD drive (no burner), so I needed it...

And even if I wanted to, I only have 4x AGP and a 250 watt power supply (I believe), so my options would be limited...

Quote:Try to put some oil in it, there should be a small hole in the center of the fan just under the label. If that doesn't work...well, there's probably not a whole lot you can do about it.

I'd try that, if I had oil... :)

... a compressed air canister would be nice to have too, every time I open my computer I notice how much dust is in there and you can't get it all out without one...

Okay, that can't be good... - Great Rumbler - 11th November 2006

You can get a little thing of oil for probably about a dollar.

Okay, that can't be good... - etoven - 11th November 2006

Great Rumbler Wrote:Try to put some oil in it, there should be a small hole in the center of the fan just under the label. If that doesn't work...well, there's probably not a whole lot you can do about it.

I wouldn't put anything wet and conductive (including oil) anywhere near dripping range of your main board or GPU. GPU fans are designed to be oiled at the factory and then carefully dried. My suggestion is to just pick up a new GPU fan for about $20 bucks, you can find them on many web sites and are extremely easy to install.

Absolutely don't let an old fan run on your graphics card:
  1. They can be load and annoying
  2. They can case your GPU and or graphics card to overhead and die.
  3. The problem could cause cooling issues to many devices connected to the graphics card, including your main board, CPU, and RAM.

Okay, that can't be good... - A Black Falcon - 12th November 2006

Bah, it only has to last three or four more months, what could go wrong? :D

... what?

... I know, but spending money on my system now just seems pointless... its not like I could really upgrade the card without upgrading a lot of other things in the case too, and I'm not doing that... I know I should do something, but... for now the only thing I can tell is different is the (intermittent, not constant) sound...