Tendo City
ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: ARRRRRGGGGHHH! (/showthread.php?tid=4041)

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Sacred Jellybean - 8th November 2006

Happened again, guys. :( We need some sort of system of backup. Is there a way to save files of topics and import them to the messageboard?

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 8th November 2006

I just noticed that. We got "rolled back" again.

How much exactly does the latest version of this software cost? We could all pitch in to update the message board. Most of the "hacked" features (if not all) added to this one are built in to the newest version, plus a bunch of others and greater stability.

I'll say this, it's a bigger roll back than last time. Etoven, stop messin' around back there! Your special search engine project just ain't worth it, I'm sure of it!

Also, we lost captain rush! Man overboard!

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Great Rumbler - 8th November 2006

[Image: B000EXDS2A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

What the heck is that?

*thread is hijacked into a topic about Time Tunnel, a crappy sci-fi series*

Quote:How much exactly does the latest version of this software cost? We could all pitch in to update the message board. Most of the "hacked" features (if not all) added to this one are built in to the newest version, plus a bunch of others and greater stability.

I'll put some money down for it.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Great Rumbler - 8th November 2006

Quote:What the heck is that?

Google exists for a reason, DJ. And Internet Movie Database.

Quote:*thread is hijacked into a topic about Time Tunnel, a crappy sci-fi series*

You shut your filthy mouth!

Wikipedia tends to have a lot more information I care about when it comes to fiction than the internet movie database. I really couldn't care less about the cast. Humans are TOOLS when it comes to my entertainment, to be locked away and forgotten between uses.

At any rate, you COULD just be polite and answer a question :D.

Oh yes, the newest versions of the forum software I've seen incorporate a nice way to handle embedded flash. It doesn't run, or even download, until you click a little link that makes it pop down. This doesn't reload the page, it alters it in real time without needing to do that. In fact, that's the way it handles making a new post too (updating it in real time instead of reloading it). Further, the spoiler tags function using a button to cause it to emerge instead of highlighting text (which is just a tad awkward, though not by that much). Really, I've been pretty impressed by the newer versions. That's why I'd be willing to pitch in to upgrade.

Quote:You shut your filthy mouth!

I've never even seen or heard of it. :D imdb and google are for losers.

It's obvious from the cover that it's about two high school boys who are walking home from school one day, and decide to snub a wine-smelling man on the street who asks them for change. As it turns out, the man is a GUARDIAN of... um... the biforce. The yin and yang that holds all life together. And as a demi-god who seems to have nothing better to do, he teaches the boys a lesson in generosity by sending them through various time settings, usually in the middle of a war, or a witch-hanging, or something else that, while irrelevant to generosity, is somehow grounds for a moral, life-changing lesson.

Avaliable on PBS this fall.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - EdenMaster - 8th November 2006

We lost a lot more than three days, though. We lost nearly a whole month this time.

I think Ryan needs to contact vB and find out what is happening. He's paying for the board, we shouldn't have to put up with losing such huge chunks.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - A Black Falcon - 8th November 2006

Quote:Happened again, guys. We need some sort of system of backup. Is there a way to save files of topics and import them to the messageboard?

Yes. Any admin can go into the admin panel and make a backup of the forum data... it's a several hundred megabyte file, though.

We shouldn't have to though. That's the point. We're not a high-traffic enough board to have such problems. How much does it take to keep track of the rantings of eight or so people?

Who put the Master Sword back in the pedestal?

Anyone else notice that the main front page for the site has a broken image? It's been that way for a while now and I had thought someone was "working on" something, but if that's not the case what exactly should the correct image be? I could probably fix it if messing around won't interfere with anything.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Captain_Rush - 8th November 2006

Aye, just mear moments ago I was browsing over the forum and noticed my posts had poofed along with my avatar and siggy, I was baffled until I decided to read this post.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - A Black Falcon - 8th November 2006

If we can't get some form of gaurantee that this won't happen again...

Now that's a cat... pirate... something.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Anyone else notice that the main front page for the site has a broken image? It's been that way for a while now and I had thought someone was "working on" something, but if that's not the case what exactly should the correct image be? I could probably fix it if messing around won't interfere with anything.

I saw that, however it's been like that since I returned, and I wasn't sure if it had been brought up during my absence. So I just kept my mouth shut :D

I didn't say that Cap'n! (Okay I did.) But, but I mean that's from the Simpsons! One of thsoe aliens, disguised as a politician and attempting to copy the style said that, and it is as true now as it was then! Zod for President!

http://www.zod2008.com/

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Weltall - 8th November 2006

I don't see a broken image, though I use TC 10.

It's not vBulletin, it's our server, going through growing pains. They've updated a lot of stuff, and some of it is good. We now have four times as much disk space (2GB as opposed to 500MB), and 50GB of bandwidth (over 15), not that we ever came close to that.

Upgrading to the new vBulletin software would be nice, and cheap, too. I think I need to pay $30 to renew my secondary license. I just never got around to it.

One funny thing I've noticed; the last rollback took our post counts down, this one brought them back up. Weird.

Another thing; I deduced what happened. The last catastrophic rollback occurred at the end of September, which is precisely where we appear to be now. Seems as though it finally corrected itself, and at the same time as my complete isolation from all things Tendo City was released. I could not access FTP, email, or the site's control panel ever since then. I think we just witnessed the server fix itself, even though it cost five weeks worth of posts. It's why all of our post counts are correct once again.

So, hopefully, now that the other stuff is finally working, we've seen the last of the board-busting catastrophes.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - A Black Falcon - 9th November 2006

Interesting, but that doesn't bring back the five weeks of vanished posts. :(

More space and bandwidth is nice though... now we have space for all those awesome plans we have to make the site great! :D

... what? We do, right?

... someday?

We should, anyway (no, I won't give up on it darnit...), but it is nice to get back this thread anyway...
http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4136

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - A Black Falcon - 9th November 2006

Anyway, try to see if there's any way to get back the five weeks of missing data without further erasures, it'd be really great if that's possible... if not, :(, but there's little we can do I guess, short of making regular backups in the future...

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 9th November 2006

Weltall, I was actually talking about the main front page for the site, not the forum portion of it. The title bar is a broken image.

Anyway, you deduced more than I did. Good show. Seems as plausible an explanation as any.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - The Former DMiller - 9th November 2006

If it's a problem with the server I would be happy to host TC on my server. I'm paying for it anyway so it's not like I'd have to spend anything extra. It has 20 GB of space so I'm not really worried about running out given that I use about half a gig of that space. It's reliable, though, which is why I'm offering. The only problem I've had in the 4 years I've used it was a problem uploading files that they fixed 2 hours after I told them about it. I have had no issues with downtime or losing files. If the problem can be resolved with our current host great, but I'm throwing this out there in case you guys think it would be a good idea.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - EdenMaster - 10th November 2006

Yunno what else I just noticed? Whatever happened seems to have pruned out most of our inactive members. Everyone left in our Member List has at least one post. The hundreds of never-posters we had before are now gone.

Yeah, pity, I know :D

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2006

Three pages of members... ... erm, that's not so good is it... :D

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Weltall - 10th November 2006

No, no. I did that. I didn't mind the zero-posters so much before, but now that the vBulletin spambots ravage the net, well, pruning the zeroes is the only way to effectively eliminate them en masse.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH! - Great Rumbler - 10th November 2006

Good work, sir!