Tendo City
Star Trek Remastered - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Trek Remastered (/showthread.php?tid=3996)

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2006

http://tv.ign.com/articles/730/730321p1.html

Well now, that's interesting. Should be interesting, but will there be a glaring clash between unupdated and updated elements? Will all the klingons get head ridges that don't quite line up?

Are they adding a subtitle? This is the only series without one. "Star Trek: The Final Frontier" sounds nice to me. Oh wait, apparently that was a movie name... Well I'd like to see you do better!

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Lord Neo - 5th September 2006

I hope they don't add a subtitle. It's Star Trek and nothing else.
This sounds pretty cool.

Star Trek Remastered - Great Rumbler - 5th September 2006

I'll be watching on September 16th.

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2006

Okay, how about Star Trek: Trek of the Stars.

Star Trek Remastered - Darunia - 25th September 2006

Has anybody seen these new Treks? I haven't.... how are they? When are they on, and on what channel?

Star Trek Remastered - Great Rumbler - 25th September 2006

I missed the first episode, but I managed to catch the second one on Saturday. It aired at 6:00 pm [central] on the local NBC affiliate.

The changes are very subtle, you probably won't even notice them unless you've watched TOS before.

Star Trek Remastered - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2006

I missed this news somehow... interesting.

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2006

Subtle eh? Yeesh... What's the point of it unless it's blatant? I want the full gallery of emotions from everybody in every scene!

Quote:Subtle eh? Yeesh... What's the point of it unless it's blatant?

To clean up the special effects? But, I think at least part of it is to get Star Trek back on [somewhat] prime-time television on a major network.

I exxagerated it to a ridiculous degree, but in all honesty if you don't notice the cleanup, what's the point?

I said you probably won't notice unless you DIRECTLY COMPARE THE TWO VERSIONS, I didn't say that it's impossible to notice. Meaning, that the new stuff doesn't visibly clash with the older stuff, as it sometimes does in the Star Wars Special Edition.

I would hope it's possible to notice, but my point remains. If you just won't notice most of the time, if the average viewer is going to watch it and say "this doesn't look enhanced to me", then what was the point?

Star Trek Remastered - lazyfatbum - 25th September 2006

DJ you did... read... the IGN article you posted.

Yes?

This totally slipped by me, I cant wait to see what the famous (and sometimes infamous) special effects look like now. The article says that only the opening sequence has been redone to incorporate digital stereo (you dont want music coded in 5.1, so this is good), i'm hoping the audio of the series recieved some 5.1 love though, such as sound effects and what have you.

Oh man... Kahn :D Maybe this'll lead up to an enhanced version of the older films?

Yeah I read it. It listed a number of replacements of things in the scenes. For example, backgrounds. What I want to know is this. If someone leans against a "cave wall", will I see it tip back slightly and a crack appear on the ground where it's being lifted off the ground?

Star Trek Remastered - lazyfatbum - 26th September 2006

Well, that's not a background. That's a set. In the article they said that some of the sets have been CG'd in order to make them not only updated but also more in-tune with the rest of the series. A background is like a painting on a curtain you wrap around the set, they basically took the idea of the painting and had it CG'd to add animation and realism. I wonder if they're going to electronically remove Spock's massive eyeshadow.

I forget the name of the episode, though it's one of my favorites, where Kirk is stranded on a planet out of contact with enterprise and on the planet it's just him and a very unhappy alien that looks like a lizard man. Sounds goofey but it's an awesome story. Anyway i'm wondering if lizard man is going to be CG'd as well, I can totally see how it would work with a more dinosaur and less human movement, facial expressions (as opposed to a static mask), etc.

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Jaguar - 26th September 2006

Is that one of the 5 with the story of two sides being forced to fight for the entertainment of an alien demigod?

Why is it I lose respect for a storyline if I can figure out a formula that describes it...

Star Trek Remastered - Great Rumbler - 26th September 2006

Quote:Why is it I lose respect for a storyline if I can figure out a formula that describes it...

Can't you do the same thing for just about ANY storyline?

haha that's not a formula, it's a vague idea. That description itself actually has no story. in "The Arena" the lizard man was also a captain, Enterprise was en route to capture lizardman's ship and have him tried for a massacre that we learn about earlier; a small earth colony presumabley wiped out by the lizard-like people for unknown reasons. Both ships while at warp 8 are stopped by a strange unknown race who has the ability to control the ships. He makes an offer that he will pit both captains in a fight to the death and the superior being and his ship will be let go while the loser's ship will be destroyed or stolen by the seemingly omnipotent aliens. The lizard-man captain is stronger and more fierce than Kirk, but of course they have no choice but to fight.

Obviously chaos and cheesey sci-fi fun ensues, the plot of the lizard men accused of slaughtering the earth colony, the fate of the enterprise held captive and Kirk's fight to the death with a physically superior being plays out. One of my top favorite ST episodes. That omnipotent alien race will eventually evolve in the production to The Next Generation where they're called the Q, an omnipotent race of aliens who practically test and torment other beings for reasons that aren't always clear and often times seem to be more of a parental nudge to aid the 'lower' beings, humans being the most facinating by a certain member of the Q that was a regular on TNG. These weren't fights or struggles for entertainment, though there were episodes where a king would take great facination by pitting friends and family against eachother for his amusement.

Of course in that episode the premise is only scratching the surface of the story.

Star Trek Remastered - Dark Jaguar - 26th September 2006

I actually guessed right? Wow...

At any rate it's no big deal if it's formulaic, but that doesn't change that the premise was pretty much cheesy. Maybe for some people cheesy means deep but for me cheesy just means cheesy. I mean, the whole "we must put aside our differences" angle just doesn't appeal to me very much any more... Really, your description doesn't add that much to it for me.

All this really does is show how subjective art is.

At any rate, nice hypothesis about those Metronites being Q and all, but I'm sure countless trekkies would argue that point. My little trekkie friend might claim that little kid with the god mirror was a Q instead. It's like Darryl in FF6 being Gogo or something, at the very least it's "debatable" and at the most it's just not held up by anything else.

I gave a synopsis of the intro to the episode, not a full description as I didn't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

So... if you dont like Star Trek why did you post this thread? Not everyone likes the shows, but people with either greater imaginations or who want to be entertained by science fiction on television or film do enjoy it. A science fiction as you may not know that did not dip in to greek mythology or ancient history to iconically portray a science fiction universe until Star Trek lead the charge. You may have an uneducated opinion about the writing of the show (I assume you are not a writer or have been taught its standards) but it is extremely well writen and a huge factor in the uprising of serious American science fiction. Not to mention some of the ground breaking things it brought to television that were never discussed before in a TV show or film up to that point, the most notorious being an interacial kiss shared beween Kirk and Uhura that litteraly shocked America. If you find the show so unlikable then I see no reason why would you want to talk about the show. Maybe I misunderstood something, either that or you're bored.